Tuesday 14 February 2023

Day Tripping - Labyrinth: Knossos, Myth and Reality


According to Ancient Greek legend, King Minos tasked Daedelus, the renowned craftsman and architect, to build an elaborate labyrinth beneath the palace of Knossos on the island of Crete to hold the ferocious minotaur, born to his wife Pasiphaë after her liaison with a bull. Knossos was discovered and excavated over a century ago by the British archaeologist, Sir Arthur Evans and Jon, Tony and I visited the site in May, 2022 (HERE). 


Much as we wanted to go back for his birthday, the direct flights to Crete don't resume until the spring, so we did the next best thing, we travelled to the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford for a major exhibition which launched on 10th February, Labyrinth: Knossos, Myth and Reality, the first in the UK to focus on Knossos and alongside discoveries from the Ashmolean's Sir Arthur Evans Archive there are also over a hundred artifacts which have never left Greece or Crete before.


We picked Tony up at 9am yesterday (Monday) morning, arriving at the city's Park & Ride at just after 11am. From there we hopped on a bus and arrived at the Ashmolean twenty minutes later.


The Ashmolean, opened in 1683 by Elias Ashmole (1617 - 1692), is widely believed to be the 
first modern museum.









The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that I'd photographed several of these exhibits when we visited the Archeological Museum in Heraklion last year. In Greece the ancient artefacts are so plentiful you almost become immune to their charms, this smaller scale exhibition made us appreciate each and every one of them.




















Remember my birthday trip (HERE) to the Picasso Museum in Malaga when I wrote of his fascination for the Minotaur? This is one of his many works depicting the fearsome beast.


The exhibition also includes "an exclusive experience of Knossos Palace from the acclaimed video game Assassin’s Creed Odyssey" which meant absolutely nothing to three old farts like us but we joined in anyway.



We ate in the Ashmolean's rooftop restaurant, enjoying the glorious blue skies and the stunning view across the dreaming spires of Oxford. The food was sublime and quite pricey but what the hell, life's for living.


Whilst I tucked into spinach gnocchi with wilted spinach, cashews, lemon & parsley pesto and toasted pumpkin seeds served on a beautifully colour-coordinated plate, the boys opted for the Ashmolean beef burger made from locally sourced beef with baby gem, beef tomato, crumbled Oxford blue cheese, apple ale & chilli relish served on a brioche style bun with chips. We toasted the birthday boy with a Cotswold craft ale.


After lunch it was time to explore the rest of the Ashmolean, although we'd probably have needed to spend a fortnight there to do the permanent collections justice.


The boys soon lost me amongst the ceramics - 17th Century Delft tiles, a Bernard Leach vase and more tiles by the Arts and Crafts god,William de Morgan...be still my beating heart!


17th Century ceramics from England, Poland and Italy. 


Then I fell in love with the jewellery worn by the Visigoths AD 478 - 721) and Ostrogoths (AD 469 - 553). That belt buckle with the blue stone has my name written all over it.


Spellbinding 16th and 17th Century art from the Low Countries.


Lots of wonderful Ancient statuary including the vengeful Greek goddess, Athena (see you soon, bab!) and the beautiful youth, Antinous, said to have been Roman Emperor Hadrian's lover and who drowned in the Nile before he was twenty.






We finished with a tour of Ancient Egypt.





We've not been able to visit the Egyptology section in Birmingham's Museum & Art Gallery for years (Covid and ongoing refurbishments) so it was exciting to wander around the exhibits at the Ashmolean.


My favourite thing in Brum is the mummified cat so I was happy to find another in Oxford.


Needless to say, it was impossible to exit through the gift shop without making a cheeky purchase.


As Tony had never visited The Cotswolds we took a detour through the picture postcard village of Woodstock on the way home.


If you're not familiar with Greek Mythology or you'd like to read about the legend of Minotaur retold from the often-overlooked woman's perspective, Jennifer Sant's Ariadne is a fantastic read. Abebooks, my go-to website for books, has secondhand copies from 83p! 


Sending loads of Valentine's Day love to you all!

See you soon.

PS Thanks so much to our friend Lynn for giving us the heads up on the exhibition. If you fancy seeing it for yourself, Labyrinth:Knossos, Myth and Reality runs until 30th July and you can buy tickets HERE.



39 comments:

  1. A Grand Day Out indeed! It is a while since I've been to a large museum (since pre-covid), makes me think it is time to go visiting again! A place like that needs a slow and good investigation - so much to see! Happy birthday to the birthday boy 🎂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! You can't beat a good museum, can you? The Ashmolean was fabulous, I could have spent weeks there! xxx

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous day out! I love museums, the British Museum is one of my favourites. Glorious pics and the souvenirs look great too. Museum foid us always pricey but a you say, life is for living!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carole! I've never been to the British Museum, how bad is that? I never get tired of museums (or their gift shops!) We could have gone in search of one of Oxford's three Wetherspoons but the menu looked so tempting! xxx

      Delete
  3. In the absence of a flight to Crete, this was a fabulous day out to celebrate Tony's birthday. Much to my shame, and in spite of having visited Oxford several times, we've never been to the Ashmolean. Both the Knossos exhibition and the museum's regular collection sound absolutely fantastic. I would have swooned over that pottery and jewellery as well and would have been fascinated by Ancient Egypt exhibits, including the mummified cat.
    Woodstock is indeed picture postcard perfect and it definitely takes me back to when we visited it in the Summer of 2006! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day out although Jon's out of the habit of driving such long distances and was asleep on the settee by 9pm last night! The Ashmolean was fantastic, the amount of stuff on display was quite mind-boggling.
      Woodstock is stunning, isn't it? My grandparents always holidayed there! xxx

      Delete
  4. You beat me there Vix, even though I’ve been to the Ashmolean a few times I’ve never been to the rooftop restaurant. It looks lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if you'd both been to The Ashmolean when you'd visited Jill in Witney. the rooftop restaurant was gorgeous, I can't stop thinking about that gnocchi, I could eat it all over again! xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a delight. It is years since I was to be found mooching around Oxford museums . . .

    It looks like a great time was had by all. Yes, that belt buckle has your name all over it but I suspect the security personnel would have had something to say if you had tried to claim it as your own 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have spent years in there - I'm tempted to hide in the loos at closing time and spend the night trying that jewellery on! xxx

      Delete
  6. Catching up!
    What a great exhibition. I remember being in Greece and the amount of pottery at the museums being overwhelming. As you say, a small curated display makes it much easier to appreciate them.
    I'm so disappointed the Brum gallery has closed again so soon after lockdown. Off to The Ikon on Thursday for a talk on Brum's Brutality architecture, which should be interesting.
    Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annie and a very happy Valentine's day to you, too!
      The curated display of artifacts was a lot easier to take in. I do wish Birmingham would get it's act together and reopen, I'm missing those beautiful Pre Raphaelites! I'm liking the sound of your Thursday lecture, love the Icon Gallery especially the cafe. My claim to fame is that I went out with the son of the architect who designed Birmingham's original Brutalist library! xxx

      Delete
  7. The green velvet dress topped with the splendid brown velvet *sleeved* jacket is surely one of your most elegant ensembles -- gorgeous long locks continue those graceful lines so well! The Ashmolean deserves guests who dress for the occasion. It's disconcerting to view exhibitions of beautiful things over the shoulders of persons who are underdressed for clearing brush. Hope Jon found this carefully curated collection an acceptable alternative to "being there." For myself, a trip to the Oriental Institute in Chicago would probably be more comfortably accessible than an expedition to Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beth! I also wore my replica Minoan Bee pendant although it wasn't visible in the photo but it felt appropriate. If visiting such a grand building with centuries of illustrious history isn't an occasion to dress up then I'm not sure what is.
      I'd love the Oriental Institute of Chicago. xxx

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful way to spend the day! I love museums.
    melodyjacob.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great day. You had me at Minoan, but all the rest is right up there with as some of my favorite things. I have a degree in Art History and am impressed with this collection. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about your degree in Art History, Alex! You'd probably never want to leave the Ashmolean. The amount of amazing collections was quite staggering. xxx

      Delete
  10. What a fabulous day the three of you had. Happy birthday to Tony yet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, Marjorie! I passed on your message to Tony and he said thank you! xxx

      Delete
  11. AbeBooks' head office is in my city! I interviewed for a job there (4 interviews, no job). Loved seeing all of that luscious art, thank you, Vix! Minoan and Etruscan art might be my favourite historical era, although I am mad for Egypt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! What are Abebooks thinking, not employing you?They've gone right down in my estimations.
      My mind is blown when I see Minoan, Etruscan and Egyptian artifacts, thousands of years old and yet so perfect and beautifully executed. I'm not sure why I haven't been to Egypt...yet! xxx

      Delete
  12. That was interesting, had no idea all that was happening in Oxford - I love the cow statues - would like all of them, and the ram. I also love your dark (green?) velvety maxi skirt - you look lovely in that outfit. We have visited egypt and been to the museum and tombs, sphinx, market and beach (great snorkelling), we were lucky that in those days the walls were not behind perspex inside the tombs, although you were not allowed to touch - it's worth a visit - I hope you get to explore, there is a lot there you would love. Betty (wood fairy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty. I don't wear that green velvet dress often enough.
      There was one of those bull's heads for sale in the gift shop, we were tempted! It's a fantastic museum and we didn't even get to the basement floor.
      We've been banging on about visiting Egypt for years, one day we will get there! xxx

      Delete
  13. I forgot about the Ashmolean! We went a few years ago. They have some good string instruments there!
    I enjoyed this tour with you.
    Happy birthday to the birthday boy!
    I saw you mentioned that you've not been to the British museum. If you ever fancied a trip to London, I've not been in years so I'd gladly meet you for a look round!
    Hope you are well!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon spent ages in the instrument section - just as well it was next to the ceramics or we'd have lost each other!
      I'd love to meet you for a trip to the British Museum, Kezzie! Let's make a date for the Spring! xxx

      Delete
  14. What a fantastic day out. We were only talking about Oxford the other day. Caleb would love that exhibition! He is also pretty familiar with Assassin's Creed.
    The food looks delicious and I think you should ask if you can borrow that belt buckle. It's a shame to just have it lying around when you could showcase it to its full potential!
    Hope Tony loved the Cotswolds. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Caleb might enjoy it - you'll need to spend all day there though, the amount of stuff in each section is mind boggling!
      Tony loved his whistle stop drive through The Cotswolds! We can't wait for our next trip there! xxxx

      Delete
  15. What amazing exhibitions. I would have loved to have been able to take Lily somewhere like that, when we were studying Egyptology during lockdown. This post is the nearest I have been to any culture lately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children we saw seemed to be having so much fun, Lily would have loved it! x

      Delete
  16. hello dears! we are all at miss k's home and we are so excited to read your bog once again! but we are very upset that this bog systm doesnt let us tell the whole truth, so we are writing to tell you that there are eleven of us reading about your museum tour today! we are lookin at miss k's bigger screen since none of us can make out a little phone screen. we are worried that all this systm will record is one visit, when there are really eleven of us reading. so excited to see the ashmolean museum as we all have heard of it. did we spell that right
    we love you! thanks for taking us on the tour miss k and the ancients...hee~

    Kathryn here: The gang asked me to go through and "tidy up" their typing efforts...but it is too cute to meddle with! Aggie sits on Esther's lap (Aggs is far too tiny to sit at the desk on her own, but is the best at typing) and bangs away at the keys while Esther, Clyde and Joe shout at her what to type...they can respond to you when they are over here at my house, but at the Senior Center, while they can read your "bog" (HA!), they cannot respond to it. (But do they ever try!)

    We will be reserved in our reponses, otherwise you would have long, rambling notes all of the time! They all still think of you so often...and now are thoroughly confused about Lord Jon as well...after seeing all of the property once owned by his family, they all figure he is a real Lord and so you are therefore a Lady by title! Gives them bragging rights at the Senior Center! Whenever there is news from the UK, they all swarm the Center's big screen TV to see if they can see you amidst the royals.

    Sorry that I CANNOT make the stupid system give me a name! Love from ANON

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Aggie, Esther, Clyde, Joe and Miss Kathryn. I'm smiling at the thought of Aggie on Esther's lap while typing commands! I think you should all move into Kathryn's house so we can chat on my bog every day!
      Lord Jon's even more confused by you about the loss of the family fortunes, where on earth did all those mansions and grand homes go? His parents and grandparents never had a bean. I would love to be a Lady especially if I got an invite to King Charles's coronation, I'm no royalist but I love an opportunity to dress up!
      Love, hugs and kisses to you all from Vix & Jon! xxxx

      Delete
  17. Happy birthday to Tony!

    That was certainly worth a visit. I'm with you on the ceramics and the jewellery but I'd give the mummified cat a miss...
    Your lunch sounded delicious.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! Awww, you've got to love the mummified cat, he's so cute! xxx

      Delete
  18. That looks amazing, I do love a good mummified cat ... don't tell Ginger ;-)

    Alan said exactly the same thing yesterday when he came back from the chip shop with fish and chips for two and told me that the large fish had gone up to £8.50 each!! I said that's the last time we have a chippy tea then and he replied ''life's for living and we work hard and deserve a treat now and then', he's right of course but, gulp ... £8.50!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, your secrets safe from Ginger!
      Yes, Alan's quite right, what's the point of working if you can't treat yourself? Even Jon's fish and chips in Spoons has gone up 75p! xxx

      Delete
  19. I wasn't getting notified of your posts anymore so apologies for the lack of comments! It may not be Greece, but this museum looks like a more than adequate substitute. I love the art with the bull heads, and I would have definitely spent more time in the ceramics and jewellery displays with you. It was delightful to see that Kathryn (Miss K) and the gang are still enjoying the "bogs". After I stopped posting in the pandemic I missed hearing from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, I think Blogger stopped sending the email alerts when it had a update, I keep trying to find an alternative but the instructions are mind boggling.
      Isn't it fantastic to hear from Miss Kathryn and the gang? Jon was only asking about them the other day and lo and behold a bog comment popped up.
      I'd love a museum ceramic companion, that's the trouble with visiting museums with the boys, their capacity for pretty things isn't as large as mine! xxx

      Delete
  20. I love history so I enjoy exploring museums. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix