Friday 10 January 2020

Double Denim & Travel Packing



WEARING: Vintage Lois bell bottoms, 1970s Vogue for Rockford Indian gauze tie-neck blouse (eBay) and a block printed waistcoat from Second-To-None, Plum fedora, (retail purchase)

No, you're not seeing things, I really am wearing jeans. These aren't just any jeans though, they're vintage 1970s Lois bellbottoms last seen on the blog HERE. They've not seen the light of day since May 2018 and, if I took any notice of the so-called decluttering experts, they'd be long gone by now. Getting rid of anything you've not worn in six months is utter rubbish, if you like it, it fits you & you've got room in your house then hold on to it, you never know when you've get a craving to wear something again.


As I'll be living in maxis for the foreseeable future I thought I'd ring the changes a bit this week. Above is Tuesday's outfit - those same jeans worn with an 1970s Indian gauze blouse by Oasis Trading, (snaffled off eBay just before Xmas for £2.50)  with a 1970s tooled leather belt and a vintage Indian silk screen print scarf which are now packed away in my travel bag.

Taj Mahal, Agra, Jan 2019
Koorg, Karnataka Jan 2015
Dharavi Slum, Mumbai 2018

Yes! I'm Indian ready and this is the final cut for this year's trip. As usual, we'll be travelling about and I need to pack for cold Northern nights as well as the tropical heat of both the coast and the desert; I need modest gear for visiting temples & shrines and for venturing off the beaten track plus glamorous stuff for uber hip Mumbai and laid back hippy chic for Goa's beach life. Of course, when we're in India we'll be posing for selfies with most of the population of the Sub-Continent so will need to look fabulous at all times.

Clockwise from top left: 1970s block printed kaftan (eBay); Recycled sari top (Vintage Shop on IG); Anthropology linen top (Charity shop); Clarks' Orinoco Club boots (eBay); Vintage tooled leather bag (eBay); Block printed maxi dress (Anokhi, Jaipur); Metallic suede tote bag (on-line Fair trade shop); Quilted riding jacket (Anokhi, Jaipur); Yara sandals by Birkenstock (eBay); Vintage Guatemalan cotton maxi dress (eBay); Crochet top (Roadside stall, Goa); Vintage silk kaftan (eBay); 1970s Third Eye block printed maxi skirt; Miss KG suede espadrilles (eBay); Organic cotton block printed maxi skirt (Cotton Cottage, Goa); 1970s India Imports of Rhode Island block print halterneck maxi (eBay)


I've bought a few items especially for my trip - the recycled sari top, the green linen top which I found in the charity clearance shop for £2 last week. I didn't realise it was by hip US label Anthropology until I got it home (I can't be bothered wearing my reading glasses to read garment labels when I'm charity shopping, I just buy what looks good) and the Kurt Geiger orange suede, pom-pom trimmed, espadrilles which I scored for £1.50 on eBay. The Guatemalan angel-sleeved maxi was another recent eBay bargain.


I always pack way too much jewellery and wear the same things for the entire trip. I've really cut back this year - honest! Obviously there's my silver rings and bangles, too - but I'm wearing them.


Make-up: Barry M eyebrow kit (I've been using it daily for 2 years so it's a little battered); Barry M Future length mascara (a recent discovery, I love it); Barry M waterproof kajal; 15x travel magnifying mirror (£1.98 with free postage from a UK-based seller on eBay) ; Barry M matte lip paint; Tweezers; Models Own* cheek tint; Pencil sharpener; Nail file; Hair bands and screws; Barry M nail paint in The Way You Make Me Teal.

*I think this UK-made, cruelty free make-up brand is no longer in business, a lot of their stock is currently in every Banardos charity shop I've visited. Stock up if you find it, it's good stuff.


I found the Australian-made green bikini top for £1 in the charity clearance shop yesterday, the crochet bikini top is a couple of years old.


Normal and prescription sunglasses, a sarong, the block-printed cotton scarf I bought from the factory in Gujarat, a tooled leather belt and a vintage silk screen printed scarf (both worn on Tuesday). Not pictured are my alpaca wrist warmers, a vintage cotton sun hat, three pairs of knickers, a pair of leggings, a bodysuit, three pairs of socks and my reading glasses.


First aid/ toiletries: Lush shampoo & conditioner bars; Tangle Tamer; Eye-make-up remover (plus reusable cotton pads); My pills plus ibuprofen just in case; Dental floss; Bath plug: Lip balm; Aloe Vera gel; All day sun screen (Factors 30 & 40); Jon's razor, blades and shave gel; Tea tree soap; Konjac sponge; All day facial sun screen; Toothpaste; Bamboo tooth brushes; Bite relief; Razor; Moisturiser; Foot file; Anti-bac gel; Bamboo plasters & blister plasters; Echinacea Cold & Flu relief.

Agra Fort, Jan 2019

What adventures await? Other than the return flight, an internal one-way flight and the first five night's accommodation booked who knows? Let the fun commence.

Banni Grasslands, Bhuj, Gujarat, Jan 2018

See you in February!

73 comments:

  1. Enjoy, enjoy! You look fab in the jeans. I used to, and hope this is the year I get at least some of the lumps gone, and back to being able to call them curves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant packing list. Safe journey, looking forward to seeing the pictures on your return :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time, you and Jon deserve it. I hope you have lots of lovely adventures, rum and coke, warm sunshine, beautiful sites and meet lots of nice people. Based on your past adventures there I am sure you will do all of the above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million! The bags are padlocked now, it's really happening! xxx

      Delete
  4. Happy travelling! Hope you both have a marvellous time. I’m already looking forward to hearing all about it when you return. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Trails, Safe Travels!Excellent wardrobe choices and loving the 'ombre' haircolour. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! My trendy ombre colour is an accident, I've only been dyeing my roots for the last twelve months and not the ends, I'm rather liking the effect! xxx

      Delete
  6. Having already seen you sporting those bell bottoms on Instagram, it wasn't too much of a shock. They look magnificent on you in both incarnations. I love seeing your packing, which puts mine to shame. But I guess that you've got packing for India down to a t by now. I'm hopeless at making decisions and always take too much (including jewellery) and often end up taking the wrong things. Have a safe journey, and enjoy every minute of your adventures! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dither about packing for ages. If we just went to Goa I'd know exactly what to take but we're planning to visit at least three states, all with different climates - arghhh! The bags are padlocked now and I can't change my mind and each weigh in at 13kg. Rxxxx

      Delete
  7. wow, travelling light and 'my dress' is going with you! you are going to look great every day. Have a fabulous time, can't wait to hear all about it. The gold bag is perfect, will get loads of use and is so glamorous. Have the most wonderful time. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! Hopefully "your" dress will be joined by a twin sister once I find a decent tailor to make a copy using my vintage sari Jon bought me for my birthday. I might get a couple of those recycled sari tops made up as well.
      I saw that bag and fell in love. xxx

      Delete
  8. What everyone else has said, +50 or so. Get out there and travel while you still can. And, along with everyone else, I'll be counting the days till we hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, A. Marie! See you next month! xxx

      Delete
  9. enjoy your trip! we just got back from Christmas vacation in California. We house sat for my sister-in-law's neighbor. Air B & Free anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy yourself!

    I love having a nosey at all the things you packed.

    I think I was pretty good at packing this year. I found that packing dresses was useful because then I didn't have to think about separates and it gave me extra space for jewellery and books.

    I can't wait to read about your India adventures.

    P.S What do you use tea tree soap for? Is it a face cleanser? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the bad old days when I used to travel with 20 paperbacks - my Kobo has changed my life. I've got 296 books uploaded on it for this trip.
      Dresses are so easy for travelling!
      I wash my face with soap and that strange looking konjac sponge (at £1.50 they're super cheap, last about two months and can be composted after use). xxx

      Delete
  11. Happy travels!

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm surprised you don't wear bell bottoms more often. They really suit you, although I get your preference for dresses. I'm the same, choosing maxis over jeans any day.

    You're so right about keeping what you love. I have had many regrets following "decluttering instructions". My only issue is storage.

    Adore your selection of wardrobe for your travels. Nice to see so much colour and pattern. Looks like you have every occasion covered.

    I'm always so envious of women adorned in jewellery and your selection is gorgeous. I always pack too much but end up wearing none most of the time - I'm so lazy. It really is worth the effort though, because it really does finish off an outfit perfectly.

    How blessed are you to visit India! Enjoy your travels, stay safe and I'm looking forward to all your holiday snaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzy! If I had to patience to wear these jeans in I'd probably wear them loads but at the rate I'm going I'll be in my 90s by the time I've battered them into submission.
      I think we're all guilty for decluttering stuff and promptly regretting it - in the past I've been overwhelmed with the clothes I've accumulated but I've definitely reigned it in this year. xxx

      Delete
  13. Wishing you both safe and happy travels. You certainly have the packing down pat , you will look fabulous in every one of those photos. I will take notes on your first aid and toiletries packing for our trip to Cuba in March.
    You do look very good in jeans , although I know you prefer your dresses. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill! We've got friends who visit Cuba three times a year, it looks wonderful! x

      Delete
  14. You wear those jeans well! We have to pack for a tropical vacation this weekend. Like you, I am thinking I should bring less jewelry. Your posts will be sorely missed and I can't wait to see what you have to show once you are back. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your tropical getaway! The great thing about not packing too much is that you can justify a purchase when you're there! xxx

      Delete
  15. Have the most wonderful time, Vix! I love your packing blogs, always inspirational for future travels. And my wonderful Keynote printed jumper arrived yesterday, thank you so much! It looks great, I plan to send you a photo of me wearing it on Monday - At 40 degrees celcius yesterday, it was too hot to try it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alli! I'm so glad the funky Keynote polo reached you before we jetted off! I can't wait to see you rocking it! xxx

      Delete
  16. You look fabulous in those vintage bell bottom jeans. I always loved flares and bell bottoms and never cared for skinny jeans. I like this pair with both tops. You did great to keep these jeans. I agree with you. If you have space to keep it, why not? Throwing away a piece you haven't worn in a six months if you love it, doesn't make any sense. I have some items I wore only occasionally because I want to preserve them (such as a cardi from my great grandmother I have never met). I remember when I was little, my mother always used to have these episodes when she would want to get rid of everything and I would hide away all the stuff I didn't want to see thrown away. Good thinking on my side because I ended up wearing most of it. I wonder if that throw away everything you don't wear rule was invented to make people get rid of their clothes and encourage consumerism. On the other hand, maybe there are people who function well with a minimal wardrobe. I like to have options and I like to keep my clothes for long periods of time.
    I like your India inspired shopping. I wish you a fantastic time there! Bring us many lovely photographs when you get back so we can enjoy travelling virtually with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, I totally agree that those silly rules are there to encourage consumerism. Doesn't that Japanese woman who made a fortune publishing books encouraging people to throw things away now have a business selling homewares? Says it all, really! x

      Delete
    2. yes, it does say it all...and from what I heard, she charges extravagant amounts of money for it.

      Delete
  17. You are, as ever, beautifully prepared. Love the green linen top.
    Have a wonderful time. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules! I was happy to spot that top on the rails, it's so unassuming and - most unlike my taste - plain, but it's a great shape and linen will be lovely to wear in the tropical heat once we reach Goa. xxx

      Delete
  18. Have a wonderful time. I love your India travelogues, I have now looked at all of the older ones. You write so beautifully about India.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much, Audra! I shall do my best to beguile you with photos and stories when we're back home. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great packing choices. That Barry M mascara is genius. I’m the same with jewellery, pack loads and just wear the same pieces ��
    I love your India blogs and photos, a real treat this time of year.
    Have a wonderful time! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I'm so impressed with that Barry M mascara, love the snazzy packaging, too. xxx

      Delete
  21. OMG, amazing photos, and beautiful outfits. I wish to go to Asia one day. Never been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You must go, it'll be our twentieth year of visiting India - I think we've been 32 times! xxx

      Delete
  22. The bath plug is a good idea!
    You'll be ready for photos with all those lovely clothes. As always, I'll be looking forward to reading about your travels when you return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learned our lesson after a trip in Morocco in the 90s, nowhere we stayed had a plug, very annoying! xxx

      Delete
  23. Loving the jeans and I remeber Lois jeans so well! Love the pretty tops, too.

    You are a consummate packer - every eventuality is thought of. Have the most wonderful holiday!
    I shall miss you...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! Those tops were made for wearing with jeans. xxx

      Delete
  24. you look totally fabulous in your vintage jeans - and i love the styling with the block-print blouses and the cool hats!
    did i say that you are a packing pro?!
    have the most wonderful travel! give india a hug from me!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Beate! It felt good to try out something new!
      See you in February. xxx

      Delete
  25. Hope you both have a fantastic time , I tried to use poundlands makeup remover but have gone back to nivia you can't beat it ,Like i said before you look fantastic in jeans , i worked it out the first time i met you and you was wearing jeans it was about 9 years ago , just shows how often you wear them but you should wear them more xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen! Haven't those 9 years whizzed by?
      I rediscovered Nivea in India, their moisturiser still comes packed in the original tins and sells for less than £1. The eye make-up remover is the best, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  26. You look amazing in your jeans Vix and I just love your wardrobe choices for your trip.
    Have a wonderful time.....and take lots of photos for us to see.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have a fabulous time I can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you return. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. The jeans look great.
    Have a wonderful trip with lots of fun. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. You look just as fabulous in jeans as you do in dresses.
    Happy travels
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Totally agree that you look fabulous in jeans!
    And you know that I enjoy particularly your baggage posts, and love to see all those fab block print dresses and skirts and cute tops and the Clarks boots which are so comfy!. A really amazing selection!.
    I'm going to miss your posts, but I'm also happy to know that you're going to enjoy your travel and have fun and come back to tell us!. Mixed feelings!
    Have a wonderful trip!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooer, that quilted riding jacket! When you get back, do give us a closer look. * Quite right about keeping items that fit on oneself and in one's closet: I've a heavy sweater that family members have found 'exactly right' for venturing forth on the North Atlantic/Great Lakes for almost 80 years. Rather like my great-granny's cast iron spider, it works and it's paid for.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hoping it's as magical a trip as ever Vix for you both xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Have a wonderful holiday! I can't wait to read about all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You look great in jeans. Of course, you look great in pretty much everything! I love the photo where you've included the scarf. I admire your packing skills. And look forward to seeing all your vaca pix. Have loads of fun!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  35. Maxi skirts or jeans, you always look amazing!! Love the photo of you and Jon facing Taj Mahal. Happy travels, my friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think the jeans look fab on you, but I understand you not wanted to wear them often. I wish I could find a pair of high-waisted ones that fit me! I like wearing them to work with a cool jacket. With all your beautiful Indian block prints and tribal jewellery, do the Indian locals ever think you live there? I'm sure they must appreciate your love and appreciation of their art.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great packing list! looks like you are well prepared for your trip! Have an amazing time. I'm sure you will :)

    Hope that you are having a lovely weekend :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am loving the purple!

    http://the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. That Quilted Riding Jacket is to die for!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix