Wednesday 24 July 2024

Kos Town - From Raki To Ruins

We tore ourselves away from the beach and caught the bus to Kos Town, the island's principal settlement. The last time we'd visited we'd chosen a day when all the sites had been closed so, six years later, we were better prepared, checking both the opening hours of the cultural attractions and also the cruise ship schedule, we didn't want a repeat of the Oia mayhem. 

The bus from Mastichari takes around 40 minutes and costs €3.50pp. We knew we were getting near to our destination when we started seeing slabs of white marble scattered alongside the road. An island of endless treasures, Kos Town is littered with remnants of its past, and it's a common sight to see office workers perching on Ancient Greek columns enjoying their lunch.


The Ancient Agora, which served as a market and meeting place in ancient times, contains a series of ruins dating from the 4th Century BCE up until the 6th Century AD. Amongst them is a temple believed to have been dedicated to Heracules, a shrine to Aphrodite and the columns of a stoa (or covered walkway) dating from the 3rd Century AD.


Touching ancient history, it gives me such a thrill.







On a day when the temperature was nudging 40°C, that marble was deliciously cool! 

Cats, Corinthian columns and The Smiths! Three of my favourite things. 


The Ancient Agora is free and open from 8.30am until 8pm daily.



After a restorative frappe in the town square it was time to visit the Kos Archeological Museum, stuffed with beautiful things....including a cat!




We were fascinated by the sandals worn by the Ancient Koans (people from Kos). Check out those platforms!
Cool, clearly labelled and concise, the only downside of the museum was the lack of a gift shop. I'd have loved a replica pair of those two thousand year old rams head earrings.

The museum opens from 8am until 7.30pm (closed Tuesdays)

Admission €6 (€3 in Winter)


Stepping over the fragments of Ancient Greece we walked past the Castle of The Knights to Platía Platanou and paid our respects to Kos's most famous son, the Father of Medicine, Hippocrates. 



Behind me is the biggest Plane tree in Europe, the current tree is only about 500 years old but may possibly be a descendant of the original tree which allegedly stood there 2400 years ago, where Hippocrates taught his pupils about medicine.










We ate at Fidelio, a bustling family-run taverna in a shady side street overlooking the Ancient Agora. We ordered the same as we did six years ago, a Greek Salad to share with pitta bread, tzatziki and two large draught Alphas. (If it ain't broke...)


Casa Romana is a Pompeian-style villa of the late 2nd Century, built on the ruins of an earlier Hellenistic house. The humble exterior belies the outstanding interior, boasting an impressive early drainage system, 36 rooms, three atriums and mosaics to die for. 












Casa Romana

Open 8am - 8pm daily (closed Tuesdays)

Admission €6

Just a few minutes walk from Casa Romana were the remains of the ancient temple of Dionysus which dates back to the 2nd Century BCE. While we might not be religious, we're more than happy to pay our respects to the god of wine and good times...two of our favourite pastimes! 








Worshipping complete, we stopped off at a cafe for a carafe of the Kos speciality, homemade lemonade before catching the bus back to Mastichari where we spent the last few days of our trip swimming, basking in the sun and hanging out in tavernas.

  Yamas, Kos! You were amazing! Greece...I'll see you again very soon. 


If I've tempted you to visit Kos here's a few links:


Mastichari Uncovered (locally owned accomodation to book online & much more)


44 comments:

  1. Kos Town looks like a great place to visit. I loved seeing those ancient Greek ruins. Touching ancient history is one of the best feelings for a history lover. It is a trill indeed. I love the photos you took there. The cat is adorable. It looks so peaceful there. I love the idea of workers eating lunch sitting on ancient Greek ruins. To me it makes the place more alive. That kind of connection with the past revives the spirit. Sure, some things belongs in museums, but I've always loved the idea of an open and living museum. That's why I love the centre of my home city so much, it's basically an ancient palace that is full of life.
    Anyway, I love the maxi dress you're wearing. You fit right in with the scenery.
    The museums and temples you visited look fantastic. The prices are very reasonable. I've always liked Greek mythology because their Gods were so wonderfully human. The Greek deities made as many mistakes as we do, and were alike us in many ways. Of course I was blamed when my nephew as a kid said that he believes in Jesus and Christmas, but that Zeus is the main God. I must have told him a lot of Greek myths!
    I noticed the platforms worn by those ancient statues too. Platform sandals were not that uncommon in the past. They were very common in different cultures, including the ancient Greek and Roman. Platform sandals (and shoes for that matter) provide extra isolation against both cold and heat, so they make perfect sense.
    I didn't know that the father of medicine originated from Kos. Now, that's a fascinating piece of information. It's great that you paid your respect to him!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic comment, Ivana! Thanks so much. xxx

      Delete
  2. It seems you had a wonderful holiday - does it all seem a distant dream now? The Ancient Greek sandals were indeed fab and I loved the Rams Head earrings. So much history in one place - amazing and thank you for sharing it!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like a world away now, roll on September! xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, look at those blue skies and all of those ancient monuments. It looks absolutely beautiful Vix, what a lovely adventure. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those skies are amazing, no filter required! xxx

      Delete
  4. There is no part of your day in town that does not have me dribbling & drooling over the history (and thinking how bluddy advanced and clever folk were so many thousands of years ago).

    Coming back to the UK and our endless cloud and drizzle must have brought you back to earth with a horrible thud. Fingers crossed that the weather is kind this weekend for Womad, I've just had a look at the https://www.yr.no/en forecast for Malmesbury - looks dry, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so lucky with the weather at Womad, at one point the thermometer in our awning wsa reading 39°C - almost as hot as Kos! xxx

      Delete
  5. You write so beautifully about Kos and Kos city, it must have been wonderful days. It's fantastic how well you fit into the ancient site in your outfit.
    Have a nice evening

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that there are just ruins all over the place, that you can touch and feel history in them. Of course, I'm here for the cat pictures too! What a fabulous place, Vix! So glad you and Jon got away for a post-festival break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, Sheila! It makes me smile when we ask locals about a column or a mosaic and they'll tell us that there's so many lying around that they don't even notice them! xxx

      Delete
  7. You have certainly tempted me, Vix. Maybe in a few years.
    I just adore seeing your photographs, and reading your descriptions of these wonderful places. The backdrop of blue sky and so much history is breath taking. And it's clear just how much pleasure you get from your trips away. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fascinating island, Jules and well worth a visit - I'm pretty sure nothing will have changed if and when you do manage to visit. I'm amazed how those columns are just left in on the roadsides! the Greeks are a lot more honest than the average Brit! xxx

      Delete
  8. I'm tempted! looks absolutely packed with history and culture. Those ancient earrings are fabulous, it's surprising that such detailed delicate work was possible so long ago. 40 degrees is hard to adjust to, saps your energy but you kept on going! Your blue/white off shoulder dress is very pretty. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,, you'd love Kos - and it's really easy to combine it with other islands and do some proper Island Hopping! We were very sensible with the heat and made sure we took things easy and had plenty of drinks stops. xxx

      Delete
  9. I like the sound of eating my lunchtime sandwiches perched on a Greek column, although perhaps not in 40°C :-)
    Kos Archeological Museum and Casa Romana look fantastic, and I'm in awe of that ancient plane tree where Hippocrates allegedly taught his pupils about medicine.
    And you do look a picture in those gorgeous co-ords! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they left columns like that lying around Walsall they'd be in somebody's back garden in minutes, I'm incredulous about them still being there 3000 years later! xxx

      Delete
  10. Ooh ... seeing Jon between those columns under all that weight of stone gave me a chill. Still I expect they've been standing for a while. ;-)

    So much history and cats too, what's not to love about Kos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! Those columns do look precarious, don't they? xxx

      Delete
  11. What a fabulous place to visit (even when it's so damn hot!) but the Museum and Casa Romana are totally my kind of thing. And you're particularly gorgeous in your white&blue set, so appropriate and so You!, those pics made me think on a 70's travel magazine, totally Fabulous!!.
    I feel tempted to book a flight to Greece every time I see one of your 'greek posts'! (even if I've already booked our Algarvian holiday)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! I'm very flattered by your comment of how the photos remind you of a 1970s travel magazine! How exciting to have another trip booked, I love having something penciled on to the kitchen calendar! xxx

      Delete
  12. You look so happy! I'm glad you had a wonderful time Vix. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful escape. I'm with you. I love touching old stones too. There's something very mystical about it. x Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! I'm happy I'm not alone in my love of touching old stones! xxx

      Delete
  14. So much History, such a Beautiful location too. You have some great Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these travel guides, thanks for taking the times to write all this. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Vix, I just wanted to thank you for bringing us a wonderful slice of sunshine and Greek history via Kos. I have had 2 lovely holidays there many years ago ( and now need to go again). I too did the boat trip to Kalymnos ( bought natural sponges), Pserimos and Plati etc. It sparked my interest in Greek food and I still make moussaka for parties and Christmas etc. I don't know why it is not more popular in this country. The pictures of the archaeological museum bring back happy memories too. You can't beat a good mosaic floor! I can still remember the intense heat of visiting the Esklepion. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alysia! I'm glad you enjoyed your virtual revisit to Kos. There's a similar boat trip to Kalymnos and two other islands, i think we might try that next time.
      Its strange how moussaka doesn't enjoy the same popularity as lasagne does, isn't it? I much prefer aubergines and potatoes to boring pasta! xxx

      Delete
  17. You look fabulous. Looks like a lovey trip. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shall highly recommend Kos as a convention destination for doctors to a family member who organizes that sort of thing. I owe her an enormous favor and giving her the opportunity of pitching this pilgrimage to the birthplace of Hippocrates should amply satisfy that debt of honor. It has everything she loves -- sun, food, wine, archaeology and cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful island, Beth - something to interest everyone from history lovers to hedonists! xxx

      Delete
  19. Thank you! Such beautiful photos and information, some of it very helpful!
    I didn't know Hippocrates was from Kos!!
    You have me tempted for next year's holiday!!
    I guess you had a great time and I'm glad for that!!
    This year the Greek islands have too much tourism (and so does Athens)!!
    Your clothes match the environment incredibly!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm definitely tempted! Thanks for your trip report. Maybe xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think Greece needs to go on my list! Love reading about your adventures! Off topic…… a laundry question! Do you use any detergent or washing powder with the soda crystals? Thank you Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! No, I just use soda crystals, no added detergent! x

      Delete
  22. Thanks I enjoy your travelogues so much. Makes me want to be there every time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix