Friday 31 May 2024

Knock on Wood


I've never been known to do anything by halves hence the reason that my first pair of Lotta from Stockholm clogs quickly grew into a collection. What with travelling light and seemingly endless rain at home, over the last year they've not been having the attention they deserve so I'm determined to wear every pair I own whatever the weather chucks at us.


Lotta's are handmade in Sweden by a family business who have been making clogs for over one hundred years. Worried that my hip couldn't take the higher wood heel, the first pair I bought, back in 2015, were the turquoise low woods but, after trying out the high woods, it turned out that they were just as comfy as their little sisters and now I've got 10 pairs of high woods and just one of the low. Five of my pairs were bought direct from Lotta and the rest via eBay. Despite people having worn clogs for hundreds of years, my Lotta's get lots of attention & positive comments whenever I wear them. I've tried the other well known Swedish clogs plus a couple of UK-made brands but Lotta's are definitely the best. This isn't an advert, I genuinely love them!


On Tuesday for swimming, Spoons and charity shopping I wore a vintage Anokhi maxi skirt and a Bhanuni by Jyoti X Anthropologie blouse (second hand). As usual, I left the house wearing a jacket but walked back with it stuffed in my bag, despite the torrential rain. I've got a new swimming cap especially made for long, thick hair - it works brilliantly but leaves me with a mark across my forehead that makes me look like I've been lobotomised, hence the reason why my hair's obscuring my face!

On my feet I wore my taupe high woods (via eBay).


'Spoons have a few new items on their menu including this - the Fiesta Brunch - I'm salivating just looking at the photo. Avocado, Pico de Gallo, grilled Haloumi, a poached egg, fresh coriander and the most divine chilli tomato dressing served on a slice of toasted bloomer. Worth every one of those 50 lengths!


On Wednesday, a couple of women abandoned their god-bothering leaflet stand to rush over & tell me how lovely I looked (thankfully without trying to recruit me into their weird church).

This 1970s printed cotton West German maxi was a recent find. I wore my yellow peep toe Lotta's which despite having owned for six years still look as good as new.

On Thursday, I walked down to the baths in this Mono Indian block printed midi dress I found on Vinted a few weeks ago.


I bought the orange nubuck peep toes from a Lotta of Stockholm flash sale during lockdown. They're an unsuccessful prototype so only a handful were ever made.


Excuse the state of my hair, I'd just oiled it! 

On the way back from the baths we popped into Lidl to pick up a £1.50 Waste Not box as I've not shared the contents for ages, here's last week's, too. 


This morning (Friday) we popped over to one of our favourite Black Country towns for a look around the charity shops. Stupidly, I actually believed the BBC's weather forecast which had promised heat and sunshine and was freezing my t*ts off in my flimsy cheesecloth frock.

I bought this vintage 1970s embroidered maxi when we visited Puerto de la Cruz last December. I'm not sure what I loved about Tenerife the most, the architecture, the lush landscape, the weather, the food, the Agatha Christie connection or the amazing charity shop where I scored this dress for €7. Whatever the reason, I really want to go back!


Today was the turn of these red high woods which I bought back in 2017. The heels need sandpapering after I wore them to trudge up the garden and empty the compost bin earlier!

 Someone recently asked me if it was getting harder to hand pick stock and the answer is a resounding no, in fact when we're in the midst of festival prop I'm even more focussed than usual with my vintage hunting. To be honest, if we had to buy our stock from wholesalers (or those horribly depressing kilo sales) I'd have to rethink my business. 

A few recent finds, clockwise from top left - 1960s Champs Elysees, Paris psych top; 1970s unbranded ruffle sleeve maxi; 1960s California Ranch Wear leather jacket; Contemporary & Sons worker jacket (which currently retails at £160); 1970s Wallis rainbow trimmed cotton co-ord; 1970s Indonesian batik dressing gown; 2 groovy 1960s maxi dresses by Dollyrockers & Cresta Couture; 1970s leather cowboy hat; 1980s Jelli, London jumpsuit; 1970s Indian cheesecloth tie-front, dagger collar shirt; 1980s acid wash denim shirt; 1960s Mona of Italy feather-trimmed plush hat. It's still out there, kids!

And while it might be difficult to find fabulous quality XS clothes in charity shops, online it's a completely different matter! This pretty 1970s printed cotton maxi skirt, groovy psychedelic 60s Dori of London skirt, the dress I wore on Wednesday, a sublime Furstenberg all-wool bell sleeve maxi and the beautiful scarf dress which was handmade by the seller's mother in the 1970s are all recent additions to my ever evolving wardrobe and the combined cost of all five was cheaper than buying a brand new dress from Marks and Spencer


For my fellow music lovers (especially Stephanie), here's our latest vinyl finds. Albums by Luther Vandross, Diana Ross & The Supremes and Neil Diamond and 12" singles by Boris Gardiner, The Jungle Brothers, Dynamix and the massive 1983 club hit, Kiss Me by Tin Tin (was it just huge around here or does anyone outside the West Midlands know it?)

And, finally the absolute classic, Funky Cold Medina by Tone Loc. Your weekend earworm! 

Thanks for reading. Have a fabulous weekend, see you on the other side!


44 comments:

  1. Think I've said b4, I love Tone Loc! Our chazzas are just dismal, I think people work in them just so they can snaffle the goodies tbh, several have closed down too. I have a pair of Lotta's; they are so comfy, I am just about to order another pair when I read your post! That handkerchief dress is wonderful, I would love one like it - I remember longing for enough cash to buy one of the jagged hem handkerchief skirts in Portobello Road, London as a teenager and eventually making my own. I used to bunk off school every Friday to go to Portobello Road and Kensington Market. The heady smell of weed and sandalwood perfume and the piles of interesting second hand clothes up the Ladbroke Grove end were far more educational than Friday p.e. lesson for me (hockey!) Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty! I thought of you when I spotted that Tone Loc record earlier! I can't get that tune out of my head now. A couple of our chazzas don't allow the volunteers to buy any stock until it's been on the shop floor for 48 hours, which I think is very fair. I'm all for people doing their bit to help a cause but when they volunteer just to get first dibs (at a discount) is totally wrong.
      Oh to travel back in time and visit Portobello when it was cool and affordable. I don't blame you for wagging hockey, I absolutely hated that and netball when I was at school!
      I've promised to send the girl I bought that scarf dress from a photo of me wearing it so she can show her mum, I'm thrilled with it! xxx

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you got only admiration and not accosted with religion on your walk home. I'm always fine with saying a brief, "no, thank you" and being pleasant. I probably have been considered rude though when I've been blunt she a few missions pushed my boundaries. I just received a Thread up bags to help purge some things from my and my girl's closets and maybe make a little money. Either way, it's stuff from my house to someone who might enjoy. Your breakfast looks delicious. Haloumi is no where to be found again by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be doing with those religious nutters, we always give them short shrift when them come a-knocking! I was waiting for a catch, "You look beautiful, have you thought about the imminent end of the world?" Luckily for me it was just the kind words and not the hard sell!
      That Thread Up envelope sounds like a good idea, good luck with making a bit of cash.
      That breakfast is delicious, haloumi is really easy to come by here, doesn't your local Aldi sell it? xxx

      Delete

  3. I would have walked up to you on Wednesday to tell you how pretty you looked! The outfit is perfect with the pretty earrings and the yellow shoes.

    I had to laugh because of the marks of the swimming cap and the comparison to a lobotomy. :D
    Have a great Weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, that's very kind of you!
      My forehead look like the Bride of Frankenstein when I take my swimming cap off but at least my hair looks okay!
      Have a wonderful weekend. xxx

      Delete
  4. Well hello Ms Marcos! I'm going to have to start calling you Imelda with that shoe collection! They definitely do deserve an outing...even if you have to pair them with those cool socks Lotta sell. I don't think I've seen the turquoise ones before. Divine!
    I don't blame you for wanting to return to Tenerife, especially if you can score a dress like that from the charity shop!
    You've done really well with the vintage stock. That feathery hat is incredible!
    Quite an eclectic collection of vinyl you've found too. Funky Cold Medina - that's a blast from the past. Did you happen to see the Neil Diamond documentary shown recently? It was really fascinating! You might be able to get it on BBC iplayer. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Marcos! that made me laugh! Those turquoise ones were discontinued, it's such a shame, the colour is so vibrant. they've been to Greece a few times.
      That hat is proper bad ass and fits my massive head. After a few cans of G&T I've got a feeling I'll be wearing it at Glastonbury.
      I shall have a look at that documentary, I don't know much about Neil Diamond! xxx

      Delete
  5. I'm still sniggering after reading Claire's Ms Marcos comment ...
    What an enviable collection of Lottas, and good on you to wear them whatever the weather!
    I'm swooning over that 1970s West German maxi and the 1970s embroidered maxi you found in Puerto de la Cruz.
    I'm glad to hear your vintage hunting is still going strong. I sometimes despair here, as even my beloved Think Twice isn't was it was. But then again I don't rely on it for business, so as long as I find the odd gem, I'm fine.
    Have a fab weekend ... I'm going to make a start with packing, so wish me luck! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a one, isn't she?
      That's a shame about your beloved Think Twice, you used to get some cracking swag from there. Here's to you finding some amazing bits on your UK holiday! xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh yum, it will be worth making a trip to ‘Spoons just for that Fiesta Brunch.

    Like you I love going into the charity shops when on holiday, there is always a completely different selection than nearer to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made my own version at home but there's something about the ambience of Spoons and the post-swimming glow that make the bought one even tastier!
      Charity shop tourism is endlessly fascinating especially when you visit a posh town where there's hardly any Primarni on the rails. xxx

      Delete
  7. I love the Edwardian-looking coord- that is an awesome set!
    I got a lovely Madras-check (maybe, could just be a rainbow check...will get you to verify for me when I post it) Vintage St Michael dress in the charity shop this week- was dead chuffed! Hexham had some great stuff in the chazzers but I only bought 2 garments and 4 books for school!!!
    Love your Lotta Collection! I would like to try them!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing your St Michael find - always a quality label! You were very restrained in your charity shopping in Hexham, I hope you had a fabulous break. xxx

      Delete
  8. I wonder how all these wonderful pieces are kept like new, as you say they are so well made!! How good is that for the environment!
    Swimming is the best!
    Vix, has great clogs!!!
    Have a great month Vix!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most clothes were made a lot better in the past, quality fabrics and generous seam allowances. Thanks Katerina, have a fabulous June, too! xxx

      Delete
  9. Love, love your clog collection especially the yellow peep toe ones. You look lovely as ever, you look good in all colours but dark/navy blue really suits you. I have vinyl envy Luther Vandross, Neil Diamond and Diana Ross and The Supremes what an eclectic mix. Hope June is much warmer and less wet than May. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! I love all shades of blue. I think those yellow clogs might be my favourite, they always bring a smile to people's faces.
      I love how random the vinyl we find is and often wonder if it was a person of similarly eclectic taste who donated it.
      Yesterday was dry and today is both hot and sunny! Flaming June! xxx

      Delete
  10. Your growing collection of Lottas is gorgeous! I like how you have them in different colours. The yellow, orange and green pairs especially appeal to me. Nothing like colour to spice up our outfits. Speaking of outfits, I love all of these maxi looks. The West Germany dress is so beautiful. I have one West Germany midi skirt, I wear it often. Vintage finds are always the best. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love your Lotta collection. They are so bright and gorgeous! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look fabulous! I love those long, airy dresses and your Swedish clogs. Tenerife sounds magical...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to manage a charity shop, and had no problem with any volunteers making an occasional purchase. Why shouldn’t they , the gave up
    Hours of their time , often sorting through bags of dirty clothing, you would not believe the abject shite people donate! Dirty , often very badly stained torn clothing , broke crockery , damaged filthy books etc. They dealt with shoplifters , people bartering over prices, people pouring their hearts out to them about the illness related to the charity. All for no pay - so yes , they sometimes - and hardly ever - bought an item . It infuriates me when people assume volunteers purchase “at a discount” “all the best stuff” ! Try volunteering, not just shopping , it’ll make you see things in a new light! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane, thanks for commenting. I volunteered for Scope for over 10 years, and was presented with a long service award for my efforts! Believe me, I know what volunteers have to deal with, the dead dog in the bin bag was an all time low! x

      Delete
    2. Blimey . That beats the snake , dirty false teeth and blood stained knickers hands down! You surely then appreciate volunteers should be allowed the occasional discounted item! 😀

      Delete
    3. The occasional discounted item, absolutely! x

      Delete
  14. I love clogs, there's a business here in Scarborough, Bjorn clogs, that makes them but I never buy them because I always think they will be hard to drive in. I have one pair of Ugg ones, which are sheepskin lined and very cosy. Looking fabulous as always Vix xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend passed on a pair on a pair of Bjorn clogs to me ages ago as she couldn't get on with them, unfortunately neither could I! I found Liz a pair of those sheepskin-lined Uggs a couple if years ago, I was very envious that they weren't my size! X

      Delete
  15. Despite your encouragement of it still being out there, my weekends finds only included 3 books ( 2 paperback and 1 hardcover) and a 60's plastic cat figurine. And I'm not actually fond of cats but it was ugly cute, so home it came.
    I do love all your Lottas. I have two pairs and enjoy wearing them. Uggs are fantastic footwear, they can get a tad smelly when old and damp though.
    Funky Cold Medina, what a great song. I must play that for my kids this week. I have been singing Taylor Swift all weekend, much to youngest sons abject horror. Darling, I'm a nightmare, dressed like a daydream. Take care, Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Megan! Buying a cat figurine when you aren't particularly fond of cats made me laugh, that sounds like Jon when he's in a charity shop and gets desperate to buy something, no matter how odd. You did better than me on Sunday, who left with just two paperbacks.
      The Ugg clog boots are lovely, I'd be happy to find a pair in my size regardless of the smell, I like a challenge.
      You definitely need to educate your kids with Funky Cold Medina. I need to educate with Taylor Swift just in case she makes an impromptu guest appearance at Glasto. xxx

      Delete
  16. What a fabulous collection of Lottas , so many styles and colours. Easy to see why the god botherers paid you a compliment in that outfit. Thank goodness thats all it was.
    Glad you can still find good stock in your charity shops , I have pretty much given up down here as most stock is cheap tat. At least you can find your XS treasures elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! I'm sorry your charity shops aren't worth bothering with, there's still mountains of cheap tat in ours but there's always a few gems lurking behind the mad in China monstrosities! xxx

      Delete
  17. Yes Tin Tin! That was really big here in Toronto '80's clubland-I don't have it, but you know if I see it now, it's coming home with me :) you really do find a great mix of vinyl.
    Ton Loc-that video made me laugh. 'Wild Thing' lives here, and still gets lots of play...
    I love the clogs! they are gorgeous, and I love the fact that you can sandpaper off the trip to empty the compost...and speaking of compost, I call mine Johnny Rotten, and have a tiny painting I did of him attached to the front of the bay.
    Have a great week with your lotta Lotta's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie! I'm sending good vibes in your direction in the hope that a copy of Kiss Me pops up soon.
      Calling your compost, Johnny Rotten is hilarious, I bet that would make him smile, too.
      This afternoon's task might be sanding down my Lotta's, an hour well spent! xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Vix~will let you know if I find it. Has to be out there somewhere :)

      Delete
    3. I'm keeping everything crossed that you do! xxx

      Delete
  18. I came here seeking smiles -- and the Ms. Marco's remark and the ugly cute cat figurine filled the bill. Thank you, fellow commenters!
    Our local charity shops have become so clogged with plastic and polyester tat that I now direct my discretionary funds to local online auctions, particularly those supporting a charity I embrace. One does well to keep an eye open for those sell-offs of an elderly widower: Other old dudes bid on the tools and man toys and ignore the box of jewelry he kept as a memento of his late wife, even his long-departed mum and aunties. The things I've snagged for a few dollars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth! I wish Megan had a blog, I want to see the ugly cute cat, don't you?
      I'm liking the sound of those local auctions. Isn't it funny how so many men congregate towards rusty old tools? Back in the days of the car boot sales, crowds would anxiously await the arrival of the old tool man and almost salivate at the array of rusty spanners and wonky shovels! xxx

      Delete
  19. Both black dresses are my favorite and I could never say no to a pair of yellow shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous collection of Lotta's you have. I adore the orange and yellow ones. Loved all the outfits and how well the Lotta's went with them. Have you ever come across a pair in the chazzas? Your recent acquisitions were wonderful. I'm finding when I do look in the chazzas it's mostly cheap tat with just an occasional good find. It's just as well I don't rely on chazza finds in the way you do!

    And as for 'Funky Gold Medina' I was immediately transported back to my nephew and son sitting in the back seat of my Ford Escort XR3i singing along to it at the tops of their voices - that and the entire album of '3 Feet High and Rising'...happy days.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! No, I've never found any Lotta's in a charity shop. I've found Hasbeens but always ended up donating them back, they might be more expensive than Lotta's but they're horrible to wear!
      You cool cat with your Escort XR3i! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix