Friday 26 April 2024

Social Butterfly


Hola! What a busy (but fabulous) few days. 


After I signed off on Tuesday, it was a quick change into my vintage Hindu Kush dress & Afghan coat and a sprint into Walsall to meet Brendan and Lynne for drinks and artisan pizza at the Light before being blown away by the National Theatre's live screening of Nye.


Nye was the 100th production to be screened in this way and it gave us shivers down our spines to know that audiences in twenty-two countries across the world were watching the performance at the same time as us and more than likely as incredulous as we were over Michael Sheen's powerful portrayal of one of the UK's greatest ever politicians.


And somewhat ironically, after spending an evening celebrating the life of the founder of the National Health Service, the following day I was back in the care of the NHS for my appointment with the optical consultant at the Eye Infirmary at New Cross Hospital over in Wolverhampton where, after a thorough examination, I was told that my eye was healed with no vision loss, scarring or inflammation. Although 50% of Iritis cases have no underlying causes, they've taken blood tests just to rule any undetected conditions including syphilis and TB (how very Victorian!) 


On Wednesday I wore a Dilli Grey midi dress (via eBay, 2021), a quilted Monsoon waistcoat (retail sale buy, 2022) and those green cowboy boots (above). On Thursday (below) it was a Dilli Grey maxi I'd bought new in 2022 with my cherry red Docs, Greek Gucci sunnies and a chazza shop necklace made from horseshoe nails. 


Despite still being horribly cold, it was so bright on Thursday morning we were up, out and at the baths when the doors opened. Once again I was on top form and managed to do 50 lengths and 50 poolside pushups in 35 minutes. 


After a 'Spoons breakfast we popped to Lidl and picked up a £1.50 Waste Not box.


Later in the day we headed back over to Wolverhampton as we'd got tickets for a gig at the Wulfrun Halls. Jon's not really as angry as he looks, he's just muttering Get a move on, I'm effin' freezing as I insisted on the obligatory going out photos as we left the house. He's in a Stronghold, Los Angeles workers jacket, an Indian army camo shirt and Levi's (all charity shopped) and I'm in a vintage Hilary Floyd psych maxi (a friend found for me in a charity shop) and a 1970s wizard sleeve velvet jacket (bought from a fab vintage trader mate). 


After the stress with the virtual ticketing when we'd been to see Roisin Murphy back in February, we were delighted that the teething problems with the app had been sorted out. After stopping to chat to the charming door staff who were in awe of my Egyptian Revival pendant, we headed straight to the bar.







The support act was The Dhol Foundation, founded in 1989 by former Alaap member, Johnny Kalsi. Dhol, as I'm sure you know, is a traditional drum from the Punjab. The Dhol Foundation are regulars on the festival circuit and played the Bandstand (the stage directly outside the Kinky Melon shop) at Glastonbury last year where a huge percentage of the 250,000 festival goers turned up to dance bhangra in the Thursday afternoon sunshine.


Their energy is so infectious and had most of the Wulfrun waving their hands in the air and singing along. The Dhol Foundation's music has been used on films including Gangs of New York and Rabbit Proof Fence and they opened the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in 2006. I can't wait to see them at Womad. 


The main event was Kula Shaker, the British psychedelic indie rock band who were huge in the late 1990s. I saw them play at the legendary Oasis weekender at Knebworth in 1996 (which I'd completely forgotten about until I started writing this post) and they supported one of Jon's post-Charlatans band projects around the same time. 


Although the public loved Kula Shaker, with their debut album K reaching number 1 in the album charts & going triple platinum and being voted Best Breakthrough Act at the Brits in 1997, the music press loathed them, dismissing them as privileged public school boys (frontman Crispin Mills is the son of Hayley Mills and grandson of Sir John Mills, bona fide British acting royalty). They also hated the band's fixation with Indian culture, music and mysticism (top ten single, Govinda, which charted in 1997, was sung entirely in Sanskrit.)  Simon Price, The Observer's music critic actually described them as A joke band in 2016 (how rude!)


Anyway, b*llocks to the British music press, Kula Shaker were magnificent. 


The music, the sound, the attitude and those incredibly trippy backdrops and lighting....wow! 




The band were joined on stage by a proper Bollywood singer (I didn't catch her full name) and I was thrilled when they performed Chura Liya Hai Humne Jo Dil Ko from the 1973 movie Yaadon Ki Baaraat which was originally performed by Asha Bosle (HERE), a vintage filmi tune I absolutely love.








We'd already bumped into one of our vintage trading friends from the sorely missed Moseley Vintage Fair plus a couple of our regular customers plus a girl we ended up spending a crazy weekend with at the Big Chill festival back in the noughties. Towards the end of the gig I got a text from Claire. Just read your blog, are you at Kula Shaker? It turned out that she and Gareth were, too.We managed to find them and danced along to the final three songs (the last time we'd been to see a band together we were dressed as unicorns! HERE)


The night had already been amazing but when Johnny Kalsi joined Kula Shaker and covered the epic 1990s dance anthem, Dee-Lite's Groove is in the Heart - already one of my all time favourite songs but with Hendrix-worthy guitar riffs, dhol drums and the dulcet tones of a proper Bollywood filmi sensation - it took my breath away. My friend Elaine's managed to find a clip of their rendition of this at Cardiff Tramshed the previous evening (minus the Bollywood vocalist) HERE. Thanks, mate! 

 Straight into the top ten of best gigs ever! 


The first gig I ever went to was The Stray Cats play the Birmingham Odeon (now a cinema) in 1981 with Screaming Lord Sutch and The Savages as the support. Liz's Dad dropped us off and my Dad picked us up at the end of the night, I'd just turned 14 and felt so grown up ditching the parents and having a night out in the city! 


What was your first gig? 


I woke up this morning (Friday!) with my ears still ringing. I wore a Seventies Soul block printed maxi and a vintage tooled leather bag (with a big coat over the top!) for a morning of charity shopping.


It was a decent day for vinyl. I've already got Legend but at £2 you can't leave Bob behind! We've seen Hawkwind live (utter madness) and Jon's seen Simply Red (not with me, I hasten to add!)


After a very social week, this weekend is mainly going to be spent decorating. We've got the final episode of the uber-stylish and utterly absorbing Ripley to watch later (thanks to Sarah from Sussex for the recommendation) and hopefully I'll actually get my bag packed for Greece.


See you on the other side!

55 comments:

  1. Social butterfly extradonaire! How fun to both run into people unexpectedly plus get messaged to find folks. Well done on swimming and push up front. My arms are not strong at all, but as part of getting ready for my knee surgery, I'm trying to get my whole body stronger. No push up success but going the plank route to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always manage to bump into someone we know when we go to a gig. It was a lovely surprise when we discovered Claire and Gareth were there, we've been trying to get together for ages but the stars just wouldn't align.
      Planks are a great all-rounder. Have you seen those portable pedal exercisers? They don't take up as much room as a traditional exercise bike and are a great non-weight bearing way for strengthening the knees and legs? xxx

      Delete
  2. Fabulous news that your eye is healed without lasting damage, xxx

    Isn't is disgusting how just a few knob-heads in the press can influence things (not straying into politics, much, ha ha . . . ) and effectively destroy Kula Shaker's prospects? I know social media sometimes deserves a kicking but at least these days it gives a platform for wonderful bands to get straight to their audiences - these guys were clearly way ahead of their time. Thanks for all the links.

    Good luck decorating, have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne! Yes, I'm delighted. Fingers crossed I don't have syphilis or TB. Much as I admire the Victorian Bohemians I don't want to succumb the same way!
      Knob heads! I couldn't have put it better myself.
      I shall offer my support to Jon and deliver cups of tea on demand, I shall stay upstairs with 6Music and a wardrobe of summery dresses to agonise over! xxx

      Delete
  3. My mother LOVED Johnny Cash (well, who doesn't?), so I'd seen him play live three times before I hit my teens, but the first concert I went to without my parents was the Stray Cats, too!
    Thanks to the internet, I've even got the date: January 16th, 1984 in Burlington, Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Leslie! Johnny Cash and three times before you became a teenaher? That's seriously impressive. I love that we both saw The Stray Cats in the 1980s! xxx

      Delete
  4. I remember going to Ronnie Scotts club (London) aroaund 1976 when I was a trainee at a hairdresser, the senior stylist took me sometimes, she was very glam with sparkly eye makeup and split skirts, big platform shoes, she always told her friends there to 'look after my junior', she always got us a taxi home. (not given any alcohol as too young) had no idea who or what I was listening to but loved it! The music was r&b and jazz. Betty (p.s. all your outfits this week are very pretty).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening, Betty! Your senior stylist sounded very glam, loving the sound of sparkly eye make-up and platforms. There was a Ronnie Scotts in Birmingham for a while but I never went, it always sounded like the epitome of glamour. I wonder who you might have seen?
      I'm persevering with wearing Springlike colours despite the cold! xxx

      Delete
  5. Ripley has fabulous cinematography and breathtaking attention to period detail, but it is so creepily disturbing, thanks in large part to Andrew Scott's amazing performance that, even though I know the story well, I am in high anxiety mode the entire time I'm watching! If you're nerves can handle it, it is a must see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tess! Patricia Highsmith's book is one of my all time favourite reads. You're right, even though you know the outcome it's still so tense and chilling. Andrew Scott is utterly brilliant and I think filming it black and white was a genius move, it makes for a really intense and almost claustrophobic atmosphere. I'm be sad to watch the final instalment! xxx

      Delete
  6. "...your nerves..." Sorry about the typo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have noticed f you'd not mentioned it! x

      Delete
  7. Synchronized posting!
    Nye sounds really interesting - I'd no idea it was Aneurin Bevan's nickname until I ready your post - and I'd completely forgotten about Kula Shaker! I'd seen Claire posting about the gig on Instagram, so I thought you might have been there together. Glad to hear you managed to dance together in the end!
    As usual, your outfits are a sight for sore eyes, but I'm particularly enamoured with the outfit you wore for the gig. Your psychedelic maxi and velvet wizard sleeve jacket are a match made in heaven. And speaking of eyes, it's great to hear that your eye has healed completely. I'm due a check-up on Monday, so do wish me luck!
    If I remember correctly, my first gig was Belgian punk band The Kids ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hasn't happened for a while!
      Nye was fantastic, I love Michael Sheen in everything but he was spectacular in Nye. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house at the end of the performance. It was a lovely surprise to bump into Claire & Gareth at the Wulfrun, it's been an absolute age since we last saw them.
      The weather's been so cold but I'm determined to inject a bit of Spring sunshine into my dressing. The gig outfit was admired by lots of the Kula Shaker fans!
      I'm sending you lots of love for Monday and hopefully you'll come out with some good news, too.
      I'm off to Google The Kids! xxx

      Delete

  8. Groove is in the heart is great!
    A fantastic evening, incredible that you saw Kula Shaker.
    I'm happy with you that the iris inflammation has completely healed.

    Have a nice evening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get tired of hearing Groove is in the Heart, it always makes me get up and dance!
      I'm really happy my eye's better now - thank you!!! xxx

      Delete
  9. Chuckling about us naming our blog posts the same title, on the same day, although for totally different reasons. Great minds. The gif sounds absolutely amazing. I loved Kula Shaker in the 90s, but it sounds like they really put on a show. My first gig was Gabrielle, unless you count the time we saw Paper Lace at a Skegness holiday park when I was 9 lol. Fabulous times Vix xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper Lace at Skegness, that had me in stitches! I loved Gabrielle, that must have been a real treat to see her - she's still as beautiful now, isn't she? Kula Shaker were excellent, well worth seeing if you can find some last minute tickets. xxx
      PS That was so weird both of us having the same titled blog post published within an hour!

      Delete
  10. Great news on your eyes. You look incredible in your gig outfit. Love how you and his lordship were colour co-ordinated! Great scoop on Babs' LP(saw her in concert at the 02 few years ago but that's another story!). Wasn't Patsy Kensit married to one of the Stray Cats? My first gig was 'Yes' at the Empire in Edinburgh, maybe 1971?We had to wait in a very long queue on a dreich Edinburgh night in February. I was glad my Auntie loaned me her ponyskin coat (tut, tut) which kept me warm. Of course, after the concert, I was totally besotted with Jon Anderson. Wish I'd kept their albums.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps it's me, Anne!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Anne! The coordination wasn't intentional but very funny!
      I think you're thinking of Britt Ekland, she was married to Slim Jim Phantom (the double bassist). Mind you Patsy Kensit has been married to almost everyone so it wouldn't surprise me!
      Blimey, Babs and Yes! That's two very impressive live acts! I bet you looked so cool in that coat (and your Auntie must have been very cool, too!) A lot of the Prog Rock vinyl seems to sell for a fortune. I bought Procol Harems' 1969 pressing of In The Court of the Crimson King from a jumble sale when I was a teenager and it's worth £££s now (I like the sleeve more than the music!) xxx

      Delete
    3. You're far too young to remember but In the Court of the Crimson King was by King Crimson! I loved them too. Had Hawkwind's Silver Machine earworming me all weekend! I was typing Patsy Kensit but thinking Britt Ekland! Didn't Britt have a late baby to him?

      Delete
  11. What a fabulous gig that looks and sounds! I loved Kula Shaker and had completely forgotten about them. The Nye production looks most interesting. Lovely outfits from both you and Jon. I can't remember my first gig other than it was at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm but I do remember seeing Hawkwind at Imperial College in 1969/1970. I tried to buy a drink in the 'men only' bar and was refused (because I was female). I was absolutely furious and swore like a trooper at the bar staff at such a nonsensical thing.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say how pleased I was to hear your eye has healed completely.

      Delete
    2. Kula Shaker were so good. I don't want a public schoolboy running the country but have no objection to one being a guitar playing rock god and fronting a band.
      Nye is incredibly powerful and those live cinema performances are brilliant value for money (only £15 for over 60s).
      I bet Hawkwind were even crazier back in the day. I'm outraged that you couldn't get served in the bar afterwards, though. I don't blame you for swearing at the bar staff. xxx

      Delete
  12. Nice finds on the LPs. One can never have too much Marc Bolan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Strictly! Marc Bolan was amazing. One of those albums seems to be quite sought after judging by the Discogs price - not that it's going anywhere! xxx

      Delete
  13. Woot! Happy to hear your eye has recovered well with no residuals, Vix. Now you can concentrate on your next trip in peace. Kula Shaker gig looked fab - a Groove is in the Heart cover can never fail (also my big fave earworm). Found it here squee!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twCmNYWI7Y4

    Elaine Anon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see! I'm so happy - fingers crossed I haven't got syphilis!!Thanks so much for finding that link. I was too busy dancing to film a clip myself. xxx

      Delete
  14. Fab outfits as per always love those wizard sleeves. My first gig I was 14 and my friend Janet and I went to Wallington Public Halls (taken by my Dad dropped off and then he came back and picked us up after like you) to see the Stones it was 1963. They had just had a hit with Little Red Rooster but we're touring small venues round the country. It was standing only, no alcohol but had great atmosphere. We went many times afterwards, there were weekly gigs with really good bands The Who, The Hollies, Spencer Davies Group, Long John Baldry and The Ram Jam Band, The Animals, Georgie Fame, I also saw Screaming Lord Sutch what a hoot. It only cost 6 shillings to get in. Amazing times. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! What a cool kid you were, I'm in awe of your having seen The Stones in the early days and all those incredible acts back in their heyday. I was listening to Neil Tennant (Pet Shop Boys) talking about the second gig he went to in 1970 (Led Zep) when he said it was all seated and full of grumpy looking blokes in army greatcoats and John Bonham's 40 minute drum solo bored the pants off him!
      Screaming Lord Sutch was such a showman, I remember him running around the stage throwing buckets of offal on the people at the front (fortunately Liz and I were further away!) xxx

      Delete
    2. Just checked in old diaries it was 1964 when we saw the Stones I had written "some girls fainted" think it was more being crowded near the stage. Roadies just picked them up and put them off stage. Brian Jones was still playing he was a great musician. Can times indeed. Yes Lord Dutch three buckets of stuff about as you glad we were way back.

      Delete
    3. Whoops meant to say Fab times not can and Sutch not Dutch!

      Delete
    4. I'm even more impressed that you still have your diary from 1964! I think I'd have fainted at young Mick Jagger. I didn't see the Stones until they played Glastonbury in 2014 and was weak at the knees then! xxx

      Delete
  15. Hey there! Pleased to hear that your eye probs have cleared up. Very good news. Let's hope you get the all clear on TB and Syphillis (what?!).
    Enjoyed reading about your gigs. The first gig I went to was to see Paul Jones. Gosh, I loved him. He sang barefoot and at one point stood with his toes hanging over the edge of the stage. Sent this early teens girl into a frenzy! My music taste improved I must add! Happy decorating weekend. Carole R xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carole! I'm hopeful that I'm Syphilis and TB....who knew Iritis was linked to those Victorian diseases!
      Wow! Paul Jones, he was gorgeous! I bet there was some screaming that night! xxx

      Delete
  16. You really are a social butterfly, and you looked very colour co-ordinated when you went out together ... apart from the blue jeans, but then they are always allowed in my book. ;-)

    I am loving Ripley too and have saved he final couple of episodes for this afternoon. Do not disturb I will be completely engrossed ... and nibbling on crackers and hummus for the duration. Isn't it just so atmospheric in black and white!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! It was unintentional although when we went on our first date we both wore black Levi's, a striped top and vintage suede jackets!
      I didn't want Ripley to end, it was so good. It was very clever to film it in black and white, it really added to the tense atmosphere. xxx

      Delete
  17. I'm so thrilled and happy to read your eyes suffered no permanent damage. That's amazing news. It must be such a relief to have them healed.
    To top the good news, it seems you have had some great times. I'm noting down some watching and listening recommendations.
    Wonderful music, great shows and fabulous outfits. What more could one wanr for?
    P.S You look fantastic in all of these outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivana! The healing took a long time and I'm so relieved that everything's finally back to normal. xxx

      Delete
  18. That excellent report on your eye is very welcome! Your investment of time and effort in staying fit has paid off (but life isn't fair, and sometimes the years add up to affect the outcomes). Which segues to my doing the maths about my first gig -- never mind the details. Let it be noted my male companion had longer hair than mine. And there were feathers intwined therein. OK, Govinda and Helen were both wearing psychedelic florals in slim sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. You're right, staying fit doesn't always guarantee good health but it must give one a slightly better fighting chance. I'm intrigued by your first gig and your companion's hair. Those were the days! xxx

      Delete
  19. To clarify -- I cited Govinda and Helen to identify the era. (But *wow* wouldn't that have been a gig to remember!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The outfits you wear with John are very nice and matching.
    The first concert I went to was a Greek singer who no longer exists, Papazoglou.
    Every concert leaves you with something, so that when you listen to the songs there are memories!
    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katerina! We didn't intend to match but must have been on the same wavelength! I'm off to look up Papazoglou. Enjoy your Sunday, too! xxx

      Delete
  21. That looks and sounds like a great show- and could you be more appropriately dressed for it?! I think not. Glad you had a great time :)
    Also so good to hear about your eye healing so well! yay!
    I wish I could report my first concert was something as cool as the Stray Cats...for me it was the pop rock band Foreigner, (yikes) in 1979-next was the Canadian rock band Triumph, who I still love and listen to...next was XTC at Massey Hall in '80. Things quickly skewed 'new wave/post punk' or whatever the label is/was. Am so glad we had actual tickets then, and that I've kept them. After reading your post I went looking for my Stray Cats ticket-1982, at the Concert Hall in Toronto :) they were incredible, unforgettable.
    I started watching Ripley too-has lots of David Lynch vibes, at the beginning anyway...
    happy Sunday🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie! Thanks so much.
      Foreigner! Funnily enough Jon dug out an old classic rock CD and we were singing along to Cold As Ice only yesterday. I shall have to investigate Triumph, I've not heard of them.
      Liz and I saw the Stray Cats a couple of times, we there's a photo of us wearing the tour tee shirts on a beach in Devon somewhere! I wish I'd thought to keep my tickets, some of our friends have framed theirs and I'm really envious.
      We finished Ripley on Friday night. I loved that John Malkovich popped up, he played Ripley in Ripley's Game! You're right about the David Lynch vibes. I hope there's a second series. xxx

      Delete
    2. That's too funny!
      You're lucky you got to see them a few times-they were so incredible live :)
      Triumph's lp 'Rock 'N' Roll Machine' is right up there-extra points for the silver vinyl version ;) 1977 I think?

      Delete
  22. I'm so happy to hear your eyes are healed. Now we just need a negative on the syphilis test 😀
    Nye was incredible, I can't stop thinking about it.
    I loved Kula Shaker back in the day and played their album all the time. I completely missed that they were playing Wolvo. It sounds a brilliant gig, and you were perfectly dressed for it. I'm off to Barnsley for a gig next weekend, and planning a stop off at the De Morgan collection of Pre-Raphaelite art. I'll report back xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! Syphilis sounds marvellously Byronic although I'd not want to have it!
      Nye was amazing, it was such a privilege to see Martin Sheen perform live, he must be absolutely knackered after each show, he really does put his heart and soul into it, doesn't he?
      I was worried that the gig was going to be empty as the tickets hadn't sold out but when we got inside there was a huge queue at the ticket office and it was a full house in the end. Hula Shaker were so good, I loved every minute - and the support was so upbeat an wonderful, too.
      That Barnsley weekender seems to have rolled around really quickly, I can't wait to hear all about it. Have fun. xxx

      Delete
  23. Now that I can see your gig outfit in the light of day, it's gorgeous! That was such a great gig, I can't get over it! Lovely to see you both!
    My first gig was Bruce Springsteen I think (unless you count my male class mate who performed on stage at a tiny venue in our village dressed in a white cloak and shaved hair). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely surprise to see you both and to share that Groove is in the Heart moment. If only we'd worn our unicorns heads, Crispin might have given us a shout-out!
      Bruce Springsteen! That's an excellent first gig although the mate with the shaved head and cloak sounds marvellous! xx

      Delete
  24. How wonderful! I love traditional music.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fun time you had.
    Still can't believe how cheap the Waste Not boxes are near you! X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix