Tuesday 2 April 2024

Reading, Wearing, Watching, Buying (& Booking!)

 

Hello! Hope all's well in your world. 


On Sunday I wore one of my vintage block printed kaftans (from our pals, Old's Cool Traders) for a lazy day mostly spent reading with a bit of housework and some eBay sales wrapping thrown in.


On Monday, for a morning of charity shopping and an afternoon of eBay listing, I wore a vintage India Imports of Rhode Island block printed maxi skirt with a charity-shopped Zara blouse and an orange fedora bought new from a proper shop in 2018.


Today, for swimming, a Spoons breakfast and more eBaying, I wore a Dilli Grey block printed maxi dress with this embroidered linen jacket (fully lined & with pockets) which I snaffled from the Air Ambulance (the Ambo) charity shop for £3. The previous owner had removed the labels but a quick Google revealed that it started life in Free People and retailed for £100! In addition to my fancy jacket, here's a few more of our finds.


Liberty cotton blouse; 1980s Cheong-san; 1980s 100% silk Gabicci shirt; Handmade mermaid pin-up dress; 1980s hand knit; 1970s Windsmoor suede belt; 1980s mohair & pearl jumper; 1980s Panhandle Slim, Texas-made cowgirl shirt; Urban Outfitters gold disco boots; Y2K Oasis leather cross-body bag; Spanish tiered cotton sundress; Monsoon co-ord; Y2K suede & leather jacket; 1970s tooled leather bag.


When I signed off on Saturday we were off to celebrate Liz's birthday (she's a whopping three months younger than me!) We enjoyed a few pints of lager in The Avion, Aldridge's branch of Wetherspoons (I've written about it HERE) and for once, it wasn't absolutely rammed. Here's the carpet for your delectation and a very poor mirror selfie, Spoons have the best toilets!


With beers in hand we popped over to Laboni for an Indian feast...



After poppadums, Jon & I shared a chilli paneer and for our mains Liz & I had Clay Pot Vegetables, Al had Clay Pot Lamb and Jon had a Chicken Biryani (which was so big he took a doggy bag home).


It was our Never Had A Wedding Anniversary on 1st April,  32 years of unwedded bliss (yes, I know you'd get less for murder!) Forget candlelit dinners, floral bouquets and boxes of chocolate - we celebrated by treating ourselves to the best thing that we believe money can buy, another holiday! We had every intention of travelling independently but nothing fitted in with our dates, budget and Jon's desperate need for somewhere hot enough to wear shorts so we ended up with a package holiday (the price had been slashed by 58%, a Bank Holiday bargain!) If you remember, we went on the first package holiday we'd taken in decades last year (HERE) and although it didn't have the most auspicious start, we had a fantastic time in Halkidiki. So it's Springtime in Greece again for us and we're travelling to an island neither of us have been to before. It'll be our 19th trip to Greece, making it our most visited country after India. (Corfu x 4, Crete x 3, Rhodes x 4, Pelion, Thassos, Kos, Santorini, Zante, Athens & Halkidiki)

Kos, 2018

We had such a laugh yesterday reading the negative reviews of the place we're staying in (a basic, family-run hotel apartment) including how the bathroom looked like it was decorated in the 1970s, the TV only had Greek channels, there wasn't any hair conditioner and - the funniest by far - it wasn't suitable for anyone over 50 as there are steps. I might be 57 but I ain't quite dead yet!  Incidentally the most pathetic negative review I ever read was for a lovely little place we stayed at in Kos which was given a zero rating - A terrible place to stay, there wasn't even a spatula in the kitchen. The owner responded with Lady, if your trip was ruined by the lack of a spatula can I suggest you need a psychiatrist rather than a holiday?

Athens, 2023

I wonder if anyone ever lay on their deathbeds and regretted going on so many holidays? I don't think I will! 


In other news after eight days I've finally finished reading John Irving's A Son of the Circus (I've got serious Mumbai yearnings now!) and I've finally decide which books(s) on my ever growing to-read pile I should start next....I haven't included the stack of Montalbanos from Lynne & Brendan either. The Caliph's House is a present from my fabulous blogging buddy, Betty


I've finally settled on two books with a Scottish theme, Mackintosh which follows the rise and fall of the artist Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Luckenbooth by Jenni Fagan which sounds right up my street: The devil's daughter rows to the shores of Leith in a coffin. The year is 1910 and she has been sent to a tenement building in Edinburgh by her recently deceased father to bear a child for a wealthy man and his fiancee. The harrowing events that follow lead to a curse that will last for the rest of the century. Irving Welsh compares Jenni Fagan's work to Alastair Gray, if it's half as good as Poor Things I'm in for a treat! 


Now we've rewatched Tales of the City  and binge watched More Tales of the City, Further Tales of the City and Tales of the City (2019) our latest obsession is Stephen Peaky Blinders Knight's This Town, another stupendously good BBC drama set in the Centre of the Universe that is the West Midlands!  



The night club scenes were filmed in Walsall last year at the now derelict Sofa Sofa (where Jon and I spent many a Saturday night) and we often had to squeeze past all the vans and cameras on our way into town. When we were coming back from Athens last year we accidentally wandered through the filming with our bags, looking ridiculously out of place next to all those cool kids.


Of course, haters are gonna hate and apparently people are already moaning about This Town. For feck's sake, it's a drama, not a documentary. Personally I love what Stephen Knight has done to raise the profile of the West Midlands. Up until Peaky Blinders, whenever we travelled abroad nobody ever understood where the Midlands were, only being familiar with London & Man United. Now wherever we go, we're constantly asked to say "We're the f*cking Peaky Blinders" over and over again - even by camel herders in India's remote Thar Desert when we visited in 2020! 

Rant over! I'm off to watch more of This Town.

See you soon!

47 comments:

  1. Whoop whoop to the lovely pics of you and Liz and a happy birthday spent together. You’re looking as gorgeous as ever Vix. We passed Walsall a couple of weeks ago but sadly didn’t have time to call by. Hopefully next time we will.
    Love to you both xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lynne! Ships that pass in the night, I'm sorry we missed you! xxx

      Delete
  2. I just finished binge watching Tales from the City, it was every bit as good as you promised! A lovely end which I had already suspected, great wardrobe too. I just watched the first episode of This Town this morning and am hooked - great to see you are watching it too! I love your dress in the first pic and am so pleased you are off on another holiday - we always read the reviews on Tripadvisor too and then ignore them! Look forward to your review of 'the book'. Im currently on Nancy Birtwhistle's green cleaning books (free on my kindle from the library). Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. you and Liz both look young AND beautiful!

      Delete
    2. Morning Betty! Thanks for your sweet words.
      I'm so glad you enjoyed Tales of the City as much as I did. It was such an upbeat and positive show and you're right about the ending, it was just right. Keep your eye out for the second series, More tales of the City, it's just as good although I was disappointed how Mona, Brian and Mouse were played by different actors as I'd grown to love them!
      How good is This Town? We've been dying for it to start ever since we walked past the filming last year and love spotting all the local landmarks.
      Liz bought me ancy Birtwistle's book for Xmas (I'd never heard of her before) but her tips are brilliant. I'm loving her bathroom spray and floor cleaner! xxx

      Delete
  3. Love your blog and loving this town, I grew up going in the happy trooper (aka coach and horses ) so bought back a lot of good memories for me and Gaz of that era 🤩 hopefully see you at swimming next week 😉 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen! How exciting to get a comment from you! This Town is so good, I'd love to travel around the Midlands after the series is over and visit all the locations. see you soon! xxx

      Delete
  4. Wow, totally in love with the idea of celebrating your Never Had A Wedding anniversary booking a holiday in Greece!. Even if we married (not so much time ago), we never celebrate that date, we've been together for three decades and will celebrate it on 4th April!.
    I have a weakness for that purple block printed kaftan (Purple!) and same for your Dilli Grey dress, and that jacket is amazing!. So beautiful colours!
    Both you and Liz look fabulous, having fun!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Anniversary for 4th April to both of you, dear Monica!
      I've not seen you rocking your similar kaftan for ages. I do love a bit of purple! xxx

      Delete
  5. Hey Vix, good for you jetting off again, with so many islands to chose from it must be hard to settle on just one. I find online reviews hilarious, the things that seem to irritate people are astounding. I'll have to keep a look out for that new show, looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane! We're lagging behind on travel this year and the weather's been so grim we're slowly going mad! There's so many places in Greece to choose from, both the islands and the mainland. We'd have been happy to return to any we've visited before but this deal was too good to miss.
      Those on-line reviews can be so funny. I love it when the property owner responds.
      I hope This Town reaches you soon. A wonderful insight into life in our part of the world in the bleak years of Thatcher's Britain. xxx

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your holiday!

    Husband has booked a cruise for my "special" birthday. Luckily it's a small ship. The Baltic here we come.

    Keep up with the book suggestions. You are expanding my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      A Baltic Cruise on a small ship sounds like a fantastic and very interesting way to mark your special birthday. That chap of yours sounds like a keeper! Happy Birthday when it comes!
      I'm whizzing through Luckenbooth, it's delightfully odd! xxx

      Delete
  7. Never too many holidays. I need to remind myself that and get one before I choose to get a new knee- then more after. As we obviously can't get the bargains to Greece from middle of the US, I'll settle for some great areas with state or national parks, for now. That purple dress is always a favorite. Glad Liz had a terrific birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam!
      I did a big India trip getting home 5 days before my hip replacement. I was the healthiest looking woman on the ward.
      We're so lucky having Greece so close but you're right to go for some of the beautiful natural parks and states within easy travelling distance to where you are. After rewatching Tales of the City the urge to visit San Francisco and do a pilgrimage to Barbary Lane (not that it exists but an other blogger has found almost the exact location!) Jon spent months in the USA when he was in the band, I've only had a long weekend in Boston! xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh, well done for booking another holiday. Not envious, much . . . and congrats on more than 3 decades of happy co-habbing!

    Love the Liberty blouse in your latest finds - of course I just want to cut it up and use the fabric in a quilt, sacrilege I know 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, lovely! The Liberty blouse fabric is so pretty, it's almost a shame the blouse wasn't damaged so it could have been repurposed! xxx

      Delete
  9. Of course, you can never go on too many holidays! We've booked a short one ourselves, although it won't involve any flying as it's only about an hour up the road :-)
    Fabulous outfits as always, and what a stunner is that embroidered linen jacket.
    Saw the first episode of This Town, and think it's absolutely brilliant.
    I'm intrigued by the Johnny Marr book in your reading pile, and I'll need to have a lookout for Luckenbooth! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so pleased to hear that you've got another trip booked. A hour up the road, I wonder where you're off to!
      How fantastic that you managed to get This Town in Belgium! It's crazy to think that it's the first major role for the actor who plays Dante, Levi Brown, he's got so much charisma!
      I'll pop Luckenbooth & the Johnny Marr book on the Anne pile when I'm finished with them. xxx

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Loving it so far, a delicious mix of sexy weirdness! xxx

      Delete
  11. Booking a holiday sounds like the most perfect 'Never Had A Wedding Anniversary' present for you two, I hope you have a great time ... and don't forget your spatula. ;-)

    I love reading the negative reviews, I read one once where someone complained that 'the sand was not the same colour as the sand in the brochure' ... brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the holiday was the perfect anniversary treat, I won't mention the hours of scrolling and swearing which preceded!
      Negative reviews often have me in stitches. The spatula will be first in my bag (not!) I'm perplexed as to why anyone would expect hair conditioner to be provided - its not like Greece doesn't have shops! xxx

      Delete
  12. Loving that Free People jacket. They do produce some gorgeous designs, but I've never seen any of their items in a charity shop, so well done you!
    Glad you had a nice time with Liz and I appreciate the carpet photo!
    I thought it was high time you had another holiday! :-D Could India be on the horizon again at some point?
    We're loving This Town. I'm not reading the reviews, although I'm amazed they are negative! I suspect the name Dante will be making a strong comeback! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed at how much Free People stuff ends up in charity shops, it's so expensive and sadly, rarely my size! The quality can be very hit and miss but I love looking at their website.
      I'm sure we'll return to India at some point but these short haul flights are really spoiling us plus I can wear pretty dresses in pale colours, impossible over there as they always end up filthy.
      The only proper review I've read of This Town is from The Guardian and they - like us - love it, it's the social media moaners who have seen the trailer and don't even bother with the actual series. Dante will only work with a Midlands accent, it'd sound very pretentious said in a posh voice.
      We were in B&Q a few weeks ago and there was a child running amok called Tonto, I kid you not! xxx

      Delete
  13. Many congratulations! You seem to greet exploring both here and abroad with the.same infectious enthusiasm. It's so important to do the things you love 😘 Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Aril! I think we're like you, we find joy and interest everywhere we go - although much prefer finding it when it's warm and sunny! xxx

      Delete
  14. Congrats Vix and Lord Jon - Whilst reading your post about you not desiring the usual gifts I thought I do hope they treat themselves to a holiday - wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flis! We're always happy when there's an excuse for booking a holiday! xxx

      Delete
  15. I cannot believe how petty and stupid some people are in their comments about holiday accommodation. As long as it's clean and reasonably priced I don't give a flying f*** what it looks like. I'm sure after 19 Greek holidays you and Jon could re-write the 'Rough Guide'!!
    Congratulations on your 'not an anniversary'. While we were driving somewhere yesterday a Charlatans' song came on the radio. It's years since I've heard them.

    Lovely outfits as always; the new linen jacket is beautiful. Fabulous finds, too.

    I have read Jenny Fagan's 'The Panopticon' and this other book by her looks great. I must keep an eye out for it.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vronni! Welcome home. If you're reading this I left a comment on your blog but it seems to have vanished into the ether. Check your Spam folder!
      I know, there are some pathetic folk out there. If they were staying at some five star establishment that cost ££££s maybe they'd be justified in complaining but surely the best time to air your grievances is to take the issue up with the staff or rep of the place you've booked to stay when something can be done, not moan weeks later.
      We love it when we hear an early Charlatans track being played, it all helps with the royalties!
      I'm very pleased with that linen jacket, it fits into my wardrobe seamlessly. Aren't people generous (or crazy?)
      I'm really enjoying Jenni Fagan's book, her writing is fantastic. xxx

      Delete
  16. Sounds like my kind of place to stay, Vix. As long as it is clean, I can go with anything. Enjoy your holiday and I hope the weather and sites are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marjorie! I'm the same as you, as long as it's clean and there's a bed, a shower and a fridge I'm more than happy. Who goes on holiday to sit inside? xxx

      Delete
  17. Absolutely love all of these looks, the skirt and blouse with the hat is my fav! That indian food looks so delicious, and Greece sounds amazing! Seems like you're having an amazing Spring!

    xoxo, Midori

    https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/my-daughters-turns-one-photoshoot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to "meet" you, Midori and thanks for the comment. I'll pop over and visit you very soon! xxx

      Delete
  18. Package or indie holiday, you will have a brilliant time, because you have such a positive mindset. I've just caught up with your Fuerteventura posts, and I'm still laughing about ASBO Jesus 😂

    We always find something to enjoy on all our trips. We've been to Glasto, and off to Penzance in a couple of weeks. I love it there, but I'm really hoping for some sun. Got Turkey at the end of May, so that will be hot.

    I'm really excited about This Town, we must do your idea of a trip around some of the locations xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! ASBO Jesus was one of our Fuerteventura highlights, I still think of him now!
      Fingers crossed the weather cheers up for Penzance. Your mention of Glastonbury reminded me that we hadn't booked a room for the night before the festival opens so many thanks for that!
      We finished This Town last night. The final scene is the one we stumbled through being shot in Walsall on our way back home from Athens, Jon's absolutely gutted that he was so close to Michelle Dockery and didn't know! xxx

      Delete
  19. Wow, we celebrated our 28 year "not an anniversary" and all I got was 4 litres of paint and a new paintbrush, I think I need to complain to the management (or at least leave a bad review)
    I can't wait for more of your holiday diaries. Have fun. Megan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated anniversary, Megan! I definitely think you need to have words. I bet you're more than ready for a break from the renovations. Ours are on temporary hold as Jon's waiting for a crucial bit of kit to be delivered - a day of no swearing or tripping over stepladders and buckets - bliss! xxx

      Delete
  20. Happy Anniversary to you both , enjoy your next Greek adventure . I am always a bit envious that we are so far away , no cheap deals . We are settling for three weeks interstate starting next week and Japan later in the year.
    Wonderful outfits as ever. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! Your travel plans sound very exciting. One of my friends went to Japan last year - she thought it would be a holiday of a lifetime and a one-off but she's keen to revisit!
      We are so lucky having Europe on our doorstep. Of course, I wish we were still actually in Europe rather than in Brexit limbo and the scourge of our neighbours! xxx

      Delete
  21. A happy belated anniversary to you both, my wife and I have been happily married for 39 years.

    That purple colored dress you're wearing in your first photo looks lovely. I know my wife would like that dress too, seeing purple is one of her favorite colors.

    LUCKENBOOTH sounds really interesting, I'm going to see if I purchase that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lon! Wishing you and your good lady a happy 39 year anniversary!
      Kaftans are so fabulous to wear, so easy and relaxed, your wife ought to track one down. xxx

      Delete
  22. You picked up some great books, it seems. I recently picked up some vintage books, too.
    Peaky Blinders is so iconic. I haven't actually watched more than one episode on TV, but I often watch highlights on Youtube shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana. I feel a bit panicky if I don't have a large "To-Read" pile!
      Peaky Blinders was the first period drama that ever interested me, unlike the usual Tv offerings it featured the working class and strong female characters. Its well worth watching in its entirety. xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix