Tuesday 21 November 2023

Black Country Tales - Viva Bilstonia!


After visiting the majestic Shugborough estate last week, this time we're a bit more down to earth with a trip to the Black Country town of Bilston (aka Bilstonia) where our friends Liz & Alex will be coming along for the ride. Situated five miles from Walsall, the first known reference to Bilston was back in 985 AD in the grant charters of St Peter's Collegiate church in neighbouring Wolverhampton. It is later mentioned in the Domesday Book as a village called Billestune, a largely rural area until the Industrial Revolution when it was extensively developed for factories and coal mining.  From the middle of the 18th Century, Bilston became renowned for the craft of enamelling, items produced included decorative containers such as patch-boxes, scent boxes, and bonbonnieres. Bilsetnatun can be interpreted as meaning the settlement (ton) of the folk (saetan) of the ridge (bill).


Fidelitate et Industria Stat Bilstonia (Bilston endures by Faith & Industry). The Bilston coat of arms consists of a woman holding a lamp on the left and the ancient Roman god Vulcan with his hammer on the right.


One of the first places you'll encounter on the high street is the Greyhound and Punchbowl which made the headlines last month after being extensively damaged by fire. I took the photo above when I visited with my friend Claire last October (here's her account of our trip).

SOURCE

Believed to have been built in 1450 as a manor house The house was sold during the English Civil War to John Green, whose son died during the Battle of Worcester and it is believed that either Charles I or Charles II visited. The manor house was owned by the Green family until 1715 until it was abandoned in around 1774. It was licenced as a public house named Ye Olde Greyhound in 1793. It eventually fell into disrepair again, until it was restored in 1936 by Messrs. W. Butler & Co. Limited and was renamed The Greyhound and Punchbowl. On 20 June 1952 Historic England designated The Greyhound and Punchbowl as a Grade II listed building. It was last refurbished in 2003 and it has since been placed on the Heritage at Risk Register. Who knows what the future holds.



Whatever your beliefs, you can't help but admire the elegant Regency-era St Leonard's Church, built in 1825 and situated on the high street. With a board outside advertising bottomless cups of coffee and tea for 50p we couldn't resist popping inside for some refreshment. Not surprisingly the cafe was doing brisk business. The coffee was really good and the atmosphere friendly and inviting and despite being a raging atheist I wasn't struck down by a bolt of lightning either - always a bonus. 


There's been a church here since the reign of Ethelred in AD997. During the reign of Henry VI, a chapel known as St Leonard's Chantry was recorded with Thomas Hecock named as parish priest in 1475. During Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries, commissioners came to Bilston in 1546 and recommended that the church be closed and the lands seized although the building was never demolished.


We wandered along the very idyllic sounding Mount Pleasant with the intention of visiting the small but perfectly formed Bilston Craft Gallery but echoing last week's trip to Shugborough, it turned out that Monday is the one day of the week when it's not open. Oh well! 


The Robin, the Black Country's premier live music venue. China Crisis (remember them?) played last Thursday.


The police station is reported to be the only police station in the UK with a moat. It proved useful during WWI when the building was besieged by an angry mob. They were demanding the release of some soldiers who had been arrested for disorderly behaviour whilst on leave from the trenches in France. 




The now derelict Bilston School of Art was built in 1897 on Mount Pleasant, Bilston to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. It was designed by town engineer, Captain Wilson, who reputedly based the design very closely on an institution in Glasgow.


A young woman dashed across the road to tell Liz and I how lovely we looked and how we were bringing beauty to Bilston. I think she was expecting us to say we were from somewhere cool when she asked where we'd travelled from and, as always, we got a look of abject pity when we told her we were from Walsall! 


The building has been boarded up since I visited with Claire last year, apparently the local ne'er-do-wells had been up to no good and lighting fires after getting off their tits on all matter of dodgy substances. You do wonder how much longer this once-beautiful building will last.







Now residential apartments, the Art Deco Beldray building was formerly a factory producing domestic metalware - the company, still British owned - was founded in 1872 and invented the first adjustable ironing board.


The quirky looking building below was the former Office of Wolverhampton District Electric Tramways Ltd.. built in 1902. The depot was converted for the use of trolley buses between 1928-30 and closed in 1965. To the left you can see the Kandha, the symbol of the Sikh faith, as there's a gurdwara next door. 



I love a ghost sign! 


Here's Women’s Work, by Rose Garrard, 1997. Standing four metres high this bronze sculpture of a female beside a pit-head gantry commemorates the impoverished women working in the 19th-century coal and iron industries of the Black Country. Women's Work is situated close to the site of a former ‘fold’, a cluster of small hovels where families lived and the women of which forged tiny items such as nails, chain links and pulleys, selling them to merchants in order to survive.  


These items have been fused into the clothing of the statue, her head is a small anvil and her forearms are the tongs used for holding the hot metal.  Her feet are flat irons, whilst the back of her skirt is composed of stacked cooking pots as local women were later employed in nearby factories making cast iron cooking pots and flat irons as well as in large laundries where they put the irons to use.  The figure is stooped over to support her burden of coal, the constant position of a ‘pit-bank wench’ paid to work bowed down all day to reclaim any usable lumps of coal from the slag heaps at the pit head.


 Bilston's branch of 'Spoons is named after Drakes Drum poet, Sir Henry Newbolt, who was born in Bilston but moved to Walsall and lived in the street adjacent to ours (I blogged about his Blue Plaque HERE).The Henry Newbolt made the national headlines in 2018 when someone brought their horse into the pub. Which, if you've ever spent time in the Black Country, you probably wouldn't be at all surprised by.


If you're not a Wetherspoons regular you might not be aware that each of the chain's 900 pubs has a different carpet reflecting the history of the building or the local area. Each bespoke carpet is worth around £30,000 handmade on an individual loom and crafted in Devon by Axminster Carpets. 


Bilston's carpet, often compared to that of long defunct motorway services fast food chain, Happy Eater, is in the top 5 of best Spoons carpets as voted for by carpet spotting regulars.


After salads and beers (and a non-alcoholic Becks for Lord Jon, the driver) we were ready to resume our shopping.


I love this timbered Arts and Crafts building. 



Jon snapped our yard brush in a leaf sweeping frenzy last weekend so couldn't resist purchasing this beast for £12 from Bright Bargains - one of those shops that sells absolutely everything you ever needed (and plenty of stuff you didn't think you did!)


This amazing two hundred year old Greco-Roman statue perches on the roof of Bright Bargains. I've never been able to find anything out about him but I'd love him for our garden!


After ransacking Bilston's charity shops - there used to be lots more but there's a mere four left now - we headed to Roger's......


Our friends Brendan & Lynn told us about this amazing food warehouse earlier this year and having depleted our stock of goodies from our first visit back in June, a revisit was well overdue.


As the sign says, it's biggest gone past date food warehouse in the UK and, like most sensible people, we're not in the least bit bothered about best before dates. You don't need to be a member and can shop here seven days a week - you just need plenty of space to store your purchases as most items are bought by the case...oh yes, and wrap up warm, it's freezing in there! 


We came back with cases of organic tinned cherry tomatoes, artisan chocolate, fancy tea, fava bean chips, vegan salad dressing, chilli-flavoured pretzels, sunflower seeds, unsalted nuts, pickled beetroot and red cabbage, chilli sauce, organic couscous and what has to be the bargain of the year - industrial sized cans of Greek stuffed vine leaves for a quid! Total spend: £32


Find Rogers HERE


Back at Liz and Al's we enjoyed mugs of tea and some very tasty Lidl Liebchen biscuits and were treated to a gorgeous rainbow. That's the view from their living room window - aren't they lucky?


What did we find in the few remaining charity shops of Bilstonia? Liz got a few Xmas pressies, a vintage turban and a fabulous 1970s hand knitted tank top (found lurking on the kids' rails). I snaffled this amazing hemp midi skirt by ethical (and rather pricey) clothing company, Thought printed with portraits of Emily Bronte and quotes and scenes from Wuthering Heights. Having never read Wuthering Heights and as the skirt is a couple of sizes too big, it's destined for Ebay. 


There's also a 1980s Indian-made embroidered hooded blouse, a 1990s fringed velvet applique blouse (also made in India), a Perry Ellis, American engineered denim jacket, a ceramic cat mug (mine!), a cold war era wool tank top - made in the GDR and the holy grail of British mid-century fashion labels, a Horrockses printed cotton top.


Although I'm a good 35 years older than the target demographic (like I care!), at £2 I soon snaffled these Urban Outfitters Missoni-esque bellbottoms and wore them to walk down to the swimming baths this morning. I bought the slouchy handknit hat from a charity shop on the way home (50p) as I was fed up with my fedora blowing off. 



Combined with a high necked black blouse by B.Young (new with the £69.99 tags still attached) purchased for £3 from Shelter in the Spring, a £1 suede belt (via the Acorns Hospice) and my £3 cowboy boots (Cancer UK) today's outfit cost a whopping £9.50. I'm such a cheap date.

Thanks for reading, see you soon!


38 comments:

  1. What a fabulous day out from beginning to end. Gorgeous, gorgeous buildings - so sad about the Greyhound, do hope it can be saved.
    Rogers Warehouse sounds like a compulsory stop if ever Blue Bus and I head in that direction. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't live in the most picturesque of regions but there's loads of great architectural and industrial history, I'm still discovering things I've missed after living here for almost 57 years!
      Rogers is amazing! xxx

      Delete
  2. I enjoy the interesting Pics, thank you for sharing. You look lovely at the last Photo, gorgeous Outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and thank you! xxx

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of Bilston...it looks a great place to spend some time. Let's hope that the pub sees some love. I have never looked at the carpet in our Spoons. It's in a grotty old building which used to be a furniture shop so lacks the charm of many of the ones we've been to although the staff are friendly and there's nothing wrong with it. Shame that skirt was too big. It was a good find. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It often pops up on antiques programmes because of the amazing enamelwork although its main claim to fame is The Trumpet, the pub Slade's Noddy Holder used to own.
      Next time you're passing your local Spoons you need to pop in and take a photo of the carpet and message me There's a great book called Spoons Carpets which, of course, I have a cope of on the bookshelf! xxx

      Delete
  4. Well I never knew that about wetherspoons carpet. I'll have to look at our local one and do a bit of research next time we call in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to take a photo of the carpet and share it on your blog, I'd love to see it! xxx

      Delete
  5. You make every day out seem like a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get excited when I'm let out of the house, even if it's to a town I've known all my life! xxx

      Delete
  6. Hi Vix, you are my holiday reading whilst sunning myself on the beach! I had no idea Spoons put so much thought into their carpet and will be examining our local closely on my return! Loved this day out and your outfits, your friend Liz is not scared to mix pattern, I love her skirt. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Namaste, Betty! I hope you're having a wonderful time in Sri Lanka and the weather's playing nicely. Oh yes, Wetherspoons not only breathes new life into our old buildings but keeps the British carpet industry and ceramics industry afloat! All their crockery is made in up the road in Staffordshire.
      Liz is an artist like you, she's got a real talent for pattern mixing (that skirt was a Kinky Melon buy!)
      Have fun! xxx

      Delete
  7. Hey Vix! I just love reading your blog especially when you have visited such an interesting place! Bilston is just that! I love the statue of the woman but what added to it was your explanation of how it was made and the tools used. So interesting! Shame about the buildings that have suffered yobbo damage though.
    You should read Wuthering Heights, it's a great read. But then, I am a big Brontë fan, Jane Eyre being my second favourite book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carole! I'm so glad you enjoyed your virtual visit to Bilston. Much as I love the grand homes and gardens of the National Trust I love a bit of gritty realism, too. Its unusual to have a street memorial dedicated to the working class let alone to women, isn't it? I love seeing Women's Work, every time i look at her I spot something different.
      I really ought to give Wuthering Heights a go, I put off reading Laurie Lee's Cider with Rosie for years and regretted leaving it so long when I finally got round to it! xxx

      Delete
  8. Well everyday's a school day! I had no idea about Wetherspoon's carpets and now I must pop into our Bedford branch and check their carpet out; it's been ages since I've been in there and can't remember what it looks like.

    I liked the look of Bilston. Such a shame about that beautiful pub; I do hope they restore it to its former glory. And that wonderful old Art school building; what a waste leaving it empty like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see the carpet in your local Spoons, we take photos of all the ones we visit.
      Bilston has a bi of a bad rep but the high street is a lot less derelict that Walsall's and the locals are very friendly. xxx

      Delete
  9. Sorry, I seemed to have pressed publish by accident. I was about to say you should check the churches out more often as they frequently offer tea, coffee and snacks and very sensible prices. St. Giles in Northampton and the Salvation Army in Rushden does a very nice tea and cake. The statue of the woman was amazing. It's so good to have women's work and contributions acknowledged in such a public way as they're often ignored.

    Both you and Liz looked wonderful; and that's a fab broom Jon's holding there! I love those shops; you never know what you're going to find. I once found some cool earrings in a similar shop. Fab finds in the chazzas; love the Horrocks top. Your striped trousers are lovely!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of popping into a church for refreshments before, at that price I really ought to. Our long-gone Salvation Army charity shop used to offer bargain tea, coffee and toasties although I was always too busy rummaging to partake.
      Women's Work is such a powerful imagine, I love that both Bilston and Walsall have statues dedicated to women - Walsall has Sister Dora, a nurse who dedicated herself to the town's oppressed.
      I was fascinated by some holographic sticks of the late queen smoking a spliff, I might have to buy one next time i'm passing Bright Bargains! xxx

      Delete
  10. I absolutely loved tagging along with you to Bilstonia!
    What a shame about the Greyhound and Punchbowl, though, I do hope it does get another lease of life ...
    What a stunning - and poignant - sculpture Women's Work is. Just fabulous!
    As is that 'Spoons carpet! When I was researching the carpet in one of Shrewbury's Wetherspoons last Summer, I was amazed to see there are whole website devoted to them! Things like that are exactly why I love England so much.
    Fabulous chazza finds, too! That hemp skirt is very intriguing and I'm swooning over those Missoni-esque bellbottoms, which look fantastic on you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to have you with us, Ann! It's a crying shame about The Greyhound and Punchbowl and that glorious art collage, we're so blase about our heritage.
      I need to find you a copy of Spoon C arpets so you can play along! xxx

      Delete
  11. It was fun to see Bilstonia again (thanks for the shout out). I haven't been since we went last year! It's such a shame about the pub and the demise of the charity shops, but the Spoons carpet is something to celebrate. I always think of The Shining when I see it.
    You did well at the shops. I have that exact cat mug and I love the Wuthering Heights skirt! Our broom is a shadow of its former self, so put another one in the trolley next time please! :-D
    Liz must be inspired by that view every day!
    You're looking very funky in those trousers. I've been wearing a slouch beanie too as all my others are giving me "hat fringe". xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy not going back to Bilstonia since last year! That needs to be rectified.
      The Shining! Ha! I totally get that.
      There was also a "I dream of being Jack Grealish's girlfriend" mug which I tried to tempt Jon with, he wasn't impressed!
      My shoulder was starting to get stiff after having it clamped on my head to keep my hat on, I'd forgotten how much easier it is to wear a knitted one! xxx

      Delete
  12. It was super interesting to see and read about Bilston history! I enjoyed all the details.
    That church was a bargain!
    I didn't know that about Spoons and their carpets!
    I like your charitu shop purchases!!! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, K! You need to start photographing the Spoons carpets, Jon's got a file filled with them on his phone! xxx

      Delete
    2. Sounds like the folder I've got on my phone called, "When CBC falls asleep in stupid places/positions!"😁

      Delete
  13. Just when I'm labeling Bilstonia a "tough neighborhood", it literally rolls out a bespoke Axminster! What a great town for hunting and gathering if one knows the terrain (and watering holes). * How does Rogers Wholesale Foods keep a liability insurance policy in place, I'd wonder -- as I trundled my trolley along behind Lord Jon and Al. (Ah, beetroot and red cabbage! Just the thing to get me through winter.) * And I'd have figured out a way to haul that yard brush home. When living with a cat known as The Great White Floofster, I used a white-wall brush to de-fur the rugs. The yard brush would have saved my back. * But I confess I find both the pit-bank wench and the hemp skirt mental images I'd rather leave behind: I know a Depression-era story about kids being sent to gather loose coal along a railroad track as an offering to their church. And I've read Wuthering Heights. Grim stuff. * Love that "tea cozy" slouch beanie! It's got room to contain your mane when winter turns the Black Country white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving, Beth! Bilston isn't on most people's radar but look past the reputation and there's a few hidden gems. Jon and Al are an accident waiting to happen when it comes to Rogers. I had to keep talking Jon down or he'd have added at least 10 cases of crisps to the already precariously stacked trolley!
      I'm liking the sound of your Great White Floofster and that's an ingenious idea to de-fluff the house! xxx

      Delete
    2. Mmmmmmmmm....10 cases if crisps!!!!!😍😍😍😍 Kx

      Delete
  14. You live near such interesting places and that Emily Bronte skirt is such a find.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Black Country isn't particularly pretty but there's some fascinating old towns! xxx

      Delete
  15. Bilston looks like a really good day out, and that food warehouse looks just the ticket. I'm not fussed about best before dates either. Best thing to do is give everything the sniff test lol. If it smells dodgy, don't eat it. I had no idea about the Weatherspoons carpets, I'm not a regular, but I do go in them from time to time, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled next time. That woman's work sculpture is amazing, and so sad all at the same time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise, yes, it's all about the sniff test, isn't it? canned and dried stuff lasts for ever. I thought places like Rogers would be full of blue pop and weird ready meals in a can but I was amazed by how many fancy brands, organic and vegan stuff's on offer. There's so many different types of Fever Tree and Fentimans tonics I'm almost inspired to start drinking gin and a mixer rather than Lidl's cans! xxx

      Delete
  16. It's been wonderful to finally catch up with all your news, Vix. I tried last week, but I got halfway through one of your posts and had a bit of a 'turn'.
    I am intrigued by Bilston and it has some amazing old buildings. I love that you share a part of this country that I have yet to visit, although that is set to change very soon :)
    I also never knew that about Wetherspoons. I'll be looking now. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Jules! I hope you're on the mend now, not liking the sound of your turn! xxx

      Delete
  17. You always seem to have such a great time. I think it's wonderful when people can be tourists in their own country. I always aspire to that as well.
    Women’s Work, by Rose Garrard really moved me. It's a beautiful sculpture. I feel like modern historians sometimes rewrite history by saying that women didn't work until the feminist movement. The fact is that the working class women always worked. The poor always worked. Not to say anything of the serfs. It's only the middle and upper class women who had the option of staying at home with the kids. The rest were in the mines, factories or fields, sometimes literally working themselves to death.
    Great outfits!
    Those striped bell bottoms look fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just swooning over all the gorgeous buildings, thank you, Vix! Lovely to see you and your pals being out and about and enjoying life! That Wuthering Heights skirt is...something! I hope you make a mint off it! Love your striped trousers. What a cool detail that all those 'Spoons carpets are different! Hope your week is going well! XO Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have read Wuthering Heights but until Kate Bush sang her song about it I hadn’t a clue what it was about!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the fab tour of Bilston. I remember well the moated Police Station & old art School building from a previous post. That picture of the rainbow and golden leaves from Liz & A'ls window is incredible! xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix