Friday 27 October 2023

Yesterday's Papers



Remember the sneak peek of the groovy garment I showed you earlier this week? Well, here it is in all its glory, a super trippy velvet blazer decorated with newspaper headlines from 1969.


Like the label quite right says its distinctive, it's stylish and it got loads of attention when I wore it out on Wednesday. I had to slowly revolve so people could read the headlines, including reports on the Apollo moon landing, Richard Nixon visiting East Europe, the Investiture of the Prince of Wales and, in an almost uncanny echo of current events, Israelis strike hard.....


The 1970s Miss Polly by Polly Peck maxi dress was a charity shop find back in 2018 and the Accessorize feather trimmed hat a more recent chazza shop buy. 






And here's some of our latest finds to keep those Kinky Melon rails topped up. 


 1950s Vinmont fake fur swing jacket: Red leather Diesel bag; 1980s mustard suede belt; Jose Piscador 1980s waistcoat; 1990s Nickleby's ivory leather blazer; 1970s Swears & Wells leather blazer; 1980s Canda paisley smoking jacket; 1980s Choice Egyptian goddess & hieroglyphic novelty print jumper; Monsoon Indian embroidered mini dress; 1980s Kriss, Swedish-made cardi; 1980s novelty knit; 1970s suede waistcoat; 1980s brocade waistcoat; 1980s handmade cable knit cardi.

It's been a good week for 1980s knits, waistcoats and leather jackets!



You'll be relieved to know that I was under strict supervision when I took the stock photos. Where's his collar? That's the fourth he's lost now. Bad boy.


Who says short sleeved cotton dresses are just for the Summer? This Monsoon maxi dress (from their SEW Sustainable artisan collection) is far too pretty to pack away so, by adding a thermal polo neck and some 100 denier thermal tights, it was toasty warm when I wore it on Thursday. 


The brass & enamel earrings were from FabIndia in Mumbai back in 2019 and the lion buckle belt was out of the 3 for £1 basket from a charity shop about ten years ago.


This back view took me by surprise, I didn't know my back was so muscular. That'll be twenty months of press-ups, swimming and planks.


After an early morning swim and our Spoons breakfast we had our six-monthly dental check-ups. Happily we were both given a clean bill of tooth health and the bill was £25.80 each - hooray for the NHS.


We'd not seen our friends G'n'T since August 2020 so we were thrilled when they popped round and we were able to meet the newest member of their family, cheeky little D, for the first time. They'd found me this humungous mirrored Louis Shabner print in a charity shop for 50p on their travels back in the Summer - they know my kitschy tastes so well. 


This morning (Friday) I wore one of my Dollyrockers dresses (this one was bought from the legendary Second to None in Walsall back in 2009) along with my bruise coloured suede coat for a speed shop - we needed to be home early as John the roofer was popping round. He's coming back next week to replace some of the slates, so no new roof needed just yet - phew! 


The 1960s purple suede go-go boots were a gift from Gisella, I bought the Kuchi pendant from the desert frontier town of Jaisalmer in Rajasthan back in 2020.
 

Of course, it would be a strange week if I didn't add to my ever-growing collection of vintage clothing (or should I call it an archive?) This late 1960s all-wool maxi dress with marvellous beagle collars is a keeper. I'm almost hoping that it's cold next week so I can give it an outing!


I've not mentioned our TV viewing for ages. We've recently watched (and enjoyed) these series: Hijack, Mr Inbetween, The Reckoning, The Long Shadow Black Snow and have the final instalment of Des to watch later (I can't bear David Tennant but he's okay in this). Although we usually avoid anything celebrity-related the celebrity edition of Race Across The World was just as exciting as the normal show. We've revisited Gladiator, Mama Mia & Mama Mia (Here We Go Again!) and watched new releases Barbie & Blackberry for the first time. I shall ponder on our next watch over a rum and cola later.

Have a fab weekend and if you're in the UK don't forget that the clocks go back on Sunday morning!


40 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised that the trippy velvet blazer was the talk of the town. How canny indeed is the "Israelis strike hard" headline!
    You look absolutely fabulous in purples and lilacs, by the way. My very favourite of your outfits this time is the Monsoon maxi dress worn with the thermal polo neck. The Dollyrockers dress with the bruise coloured suede coat is stunning too, and I am positively swooning over Gisela's boots!
    Your latest keeper definitely meets my approval. It would have come home with me too if it had been my size! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I spotted that "new" brown maxi I thought it would be something you'd love! I'm not usually a fan of checks but the beagle collars were calling me. Much as I dislike this time of year I do love a polo neck!
      That velvet jacket is pretty crazy, it kept people interested for ages.
      Have a fab weekend, Ann - much love to you, Jos & Bess! xxx

      Delete
  2. That blazer is amazing with its uncanny headline...and in velvet too! It must be pretty unique!
    Now that Kriss cardigan looks identical to one I picked up a couple of years ago and then re-donated to charity after a wardrobe update. I wonder if it's made its way to Walsall?
    Love the Monsoon dress and the kitschy mirror and I'm relieved your roof is sorted.
    Coincidentally I picked up a sixties dress too this week - a little shorter than yours. I just read your reply to Ann. Like you, the one I picked up is not my usual style; in my case I loved the colour, so will see if I can make it work for me.
    Naughty William losing his collar. Lotte was exactly the same!
    I really enjoyed the celebrity Race Across the World, although I was rooting for Harry Judd and his Mom. xxx



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw that label I remembered you bought a Kriss cardi - how funny if it was the same one! I'm keen to see your new-to-you dress, I'm not normally a fan of collars or checks (on me) but there was something about that dress I couldn't resist!
      William is so careless with his collars, I threatened him with a pink diamonte one from Home Bargains if he doesn't buck his ideas up!
      Harry and his mum and their cross stitch made me laugh. I liked all the contestants but loved Billy & Bonnie. xxx

      Delete
  3. Can thoroughly recommend Bodies on Netflix if you're looking for something new to watch. Gripping and mind-bending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I've just Googled it and saw that Stephen Graham's in it - definitely going to give Bodies a watch, thanks so much! xxx

      Delete
  4. love the purple outfit and yes that is a muscular back you have there! ... we enjoyed Race Across the World, in fact we were shortlisted to participate a few years back.. (we try every year lol). Just started watching Alone which looks like a more scary version ... (https://www.channel4.com/programmes/alone. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they'd pick you and S, Betty! I'd love to see you in action. I've not seen that Alone programme, that's definitely going on the list. Thanks so much! xxx

      Delete
  5. Gosh! Not been over here for ages. Not seen a back view in a while! Muscular (strong), yes, but look at your teeny tiny waist. Dollyrockers all the way for me, especially when worn with that suede coat and those amazeballs boots. Our cats were very good at getting rid of their collars. Never tried Grumble. Didn't seem right...an older, ''hard" stray cat!! Zxx 🧡🧡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Z! Good to hear from you! William's a street cat but I think he's so grateful for us giving him a home he's prepared to put his chequered past behind him and wear every fancy collar I buy him! xxx

      Delete
  6. The Dollyrockers Dress looks amazing, what a fantastic Color. Happy Weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love purple...and red...and blue...and pink...and green.... xxx

      Delete
  7. In 1969, I was 9 years old.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had a chuckle about the comment regarding your back. In New Zealand, those strong backs are very common (we're a gym, sports, yoga, martial arts country), And, every time you mention a Dollyrockers garment.... I just sigh.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always associate your beautiful country with outdoorsy, sporty people. We love sport in the UK but the vast majority tend to prefer watching it rather than participate hence the reason why 63% of the population are overweight!
      Dollyrockers made such groovy clothes, I've never met one of their dresses I didn't like! xxx

      Delete
  9. Such a fab print, but I'm totally amazed that's a velvet blazer!. I love a graphic print, particularly the typical newspaper print, even when people try to read my clothes! (it's a conversation starter too!). Love all the purple-ish colours, both the embroidered one and the Dollyrockers are fab pieces, and love that you even have matchy boots!, so fabulous!
    Great tip on layering summery dresses over a turtleneck and tights and wear them the whole year!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love velvet anyway but velvet with a print like that blew me away. It kept people entertained for ages! There isn't enough purple in life, is there? Thermal polo necks and 100 denier tights Winterproof almost everything. xxx

      Delete
  10. The purple outfit is so fabulous. Lise

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the velvet blazers with the uncanny headline.
    The purple dress is stunning.
    I love how the bad boy refuses to wear a collar.
    A stunning cat he is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! William appreciated the love! xxx

      Delete
  12. Excellent job on the chazzer items! HOW wonderful is that Newspaper jacket! Wowser!
    I ALMOST bought a suede jacket in Northumberland- it was Black and from Zara- I am now kicking myself for not buying it- why didn't I!?!?!? I thought of you immediately when I saw it.
    Ha, we had a cat like that who was against collars!
    Seeing you in that purple turtleneck, again, I thought of you as I saw a Chianti and Parker purple striped top which reminded me of one you bought-again I resisted which is bizarre as I don't even have one in purple! I did, however, buy a lovely gilet which I will post about soon!
    That's great about the teeth. I MUST get a new dentist- hven't been since 2019- my appointment was due in Jan 2020 but I was SOOO busy (and my dentist had limited hours which didn't work with school) so we went into lockdown and I kept meaning to make a new appointment. I tried earlier this year and they told me they'd kicked me off the books because I hadn't been in 2 years. Grr....
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! I've got an amazing vintage newspaper brolly but that velvet jacket rendered me almost speechless! Why on earth didn't you get that Zara jacket? You need to get on Vinted, I found the waistcoat I missed out on earlier this year for £4.
      You have got a god memory, I do have a striped polo neck, I nearly wore it with the Monsoon dress but changed my mind at the last minute. I'm looking forward to seeing you new gilet, I'm a big fan of them.
      Goodness me, fancy the dentist taking you off the book. I was dreading that happening to me after the pandemic. I don't think there's another NHS in Walsall and I really don't want to join that Denplan thingy if I can help it! xxx

      Delete
  13. Amazing outfits and home decoration again! <3 And I love your cat, the look on his face. :D We have two - mostly white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! Frank has such an expressive little face. All cats are fabulous! xxx

      Delete
  14. My Mum used to work at Swears and Wells in Edinburgh a very long time ago. They sold real fur coats. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sold a few of their sheepskins and lots of their leather jackets but had no idea they did fur as well. xxx

      Delete
  15. That blazer is fabulous, and so uncanny with the Isreal headline. I adore the purple outfits, purple is my favourite colour. I watched the reckoning too, I wasn’t going to, especially with the Scarborough connections I thought it would be too heavy. It was definitely difficult viewing but I’m glad I watched it, what a monster that man was xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! Yes, that headline is a bit unnerving, talk about history repeating itself.
      The Reckoning was compelling viewing, it certainly didn't glorify his life, did it. Steve Coogan is such an amazing actor. I'd forgotten about his Scarborough connection until I watched it. xxx

      Delete
  16. That blazer is amazing. I also love the Fabindia earrings. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cracking jacket Vix. I never used to like purple, but I have changed my taste and am keen to get a pair of the purple sparkly tights that Snag are doing. Naughty William....we paid £10 for a collar for Humphrey and he'd broken the elastic within 12 hours so we haven't bothered since. Lesson learnt! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aril! Fancy only being a recent convert to purple - better late than never! I've got the Snag tights in Suffragette but they're just you're bog standard opaques, no glitter! You have to treat yourself, they do sell out quickly and you'll be kicking yourself otherwise!
      Naughty Humphrey! William's currently sporting a plush velvet chartreuse number from Cool Cat Collars, I've warned him that there'll be no more Dreamies if he loses that one! xxx

      Delete
  18. Hi Vix. Your hair looks fabulous and that jacket is amazing! Pleased to see that the charity shops have been kind with re-stocking the Kinky rails : ) Have been to see Toyah and Robert Fripp at Buxton and she was saying she'd bought his rather lovely silk tie from the Blue Cross Charity Shop : ) : ) William's looking resplendent in his winter fur. Naughty boy losing the collar. Ours won't wear one either! Louise (Mids) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise! Thanks so much. You lucky thing seeing Toyah and Robert! She's so good love, isn't she? I love that she's a charity shopper! William's ever so good, he's the only cat I've ever lived with who'll wear a collar. I was looking at tweed bow ties but Jon's drawn the line at that! xxx

      Delete
  19. What a fabulous blazer! No wonder heads were turned. Beautifully paired with the dress. 1969 was an eventful year for me, too. I 'left' school and started work just off Kensington High Street in the architects department of North West Thames Gas - as a clerk aged 15...

    Loved both of the other outfits and the fabulous accessories. Your 'new' dress looks very cosy.

    That is a truly impressive picture - and only 50p! Absolute bargain. I love friends like that.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 sounds so young to be working as a clerk in an office, I bet it was so exciting to be in London in 1969, though. xxx

      Delete
  20. Fab finds as ever but the BOOTS rule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I nearly hyperventilated when I opened the nparcel Gisela had sent me and discovered those beauties! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix