Tuesday 24 October 2023

For The Love of Clothes


Clothes, clothes, clothes , my life revolves around them; buying them, mending them, washing them, selling them or wearing them, not that I'm complaining, it sure beats working for a living! I photograph my stock outside which can be a challenge - rain and wind make it impossible and too sunny and bright & they're in shadow and the colours are bleached out. Fortunately Saturday was perfect and I was outside until dusk, snapping away.


When I looked in my wardrobe on Saturday morning I noticed that the colours of my vintage block printed kaftan were identical to those in my Morris & Co Kennet gilet, an accidental outfit.

On Sunday we met Tony & my brother Marcus for a few beers in Spoons. Although when I say a few, we started drinking at 1pm and didn't leave the pub until gone 9pm - tsk tsk! As it was a bit on the chilly side I wore my 1970s Shubette Mythical Beasts brushed nylon maxi, bought from a fellow vintage trader in Walthamstow back in 2017, and my massive-sleeved velvet jacket. 


I bought this olive green leather belt in Santorini. I really struggle to find belts to fit and this is brilliant, you can clip the end off and remove/add more links depending on whether you wear it around the waist or threaded through jeans.

Jon accidentally bought these limited edition Clarks Originals/Polyveldt desert boots when we walked past Clarks on the way home from swimming last Tuesday. He didn't need them but they were marked down by 60% so it would have been rude not to! 


Despite the eight hour session the previous day I was up at 5am on Monday, managing to list a few more items on eBay and squeezing in a half-hour Wii Fit workout before Jon got up at 7.30am.


After breakfast we popped over to our second favourite Black Country town for a bit of charity shopping. My beloved vintage Afghan coat got its first outing of the season, worn over an Indian block printed prairie dress.


I made the necklace from a vintage Banjara tribal necklace and a child's Kuchi bangle.


Here's today's (Tuesday) outfit. I bought this vintage 1970s Anokhi quilted midi skirt from the Oxfam stall at Womad. It's like going out in your duvet and is perfect for the 7.30am walk down to the baths.



The B Young high-necked black blouse was £3 from the Shelter charity shop last year, it was a part of a large donation from a posh boutique which had closed down and originally retailed at £69.99! I bought the 1960s cranberry suede & patent leather Go-Go boots from a car boot sale back in the early noughties.


This mad looking pendant was 50p in the clearance chazza yesterday. I've no idea where it came from, the beads are wooden and each prong is stamped with what looks like a "W" but my research hasn't come up with anything useful. 

UPDATED! Many thanks to Adrienne, Louise & Anne - the pendant is made using horseshoe nails, the "W" is actually an "M" which represents the American brand Mustad, supposedly the finest manufacturer of horseshoe nails in the world! I love that I'm recycling something made from recycled materials, that's proper sustainable fashion!  
 

Talking of shopping, the nice weather means that I'm finally able to photograph the latest additions to the Kinky stockroom.

Clockwise from top left: 1970s Golden Arrow, USA mohair cardi; 1980s aviator jacket; 1970s Grenson of Northampton handmade leather boots; 1980s Rodeo Drive cowboy boots; 1970s wool military-style overcoat; 1980s Phool harem pants & waistcoat set; 1980s St Michael wool blend cardi; Bimba Y Lola Spanish-made western boots; 1980s Anokhi dhabu wrap-around maxi skirt; 1980s Pine Ridge English-made blanket jacket; 1990s Betty Jackson velvet opera coat; 1960s fringed suede jacket; 1970s prairie dress; Nanette Lepore USA-made fleece wool riding jacket; Dents tooled leather grab bag; Loblan suede cowboy boots (made in Venezuela); 1980s fringed suede cowboy boots; 1960s Weldrest, London green wool midi coat; 1970s black leather blazer; 1970s crushed velvet jacket; 1960s mustard vinyl bag.


Keepers so far this week are this new with tags linen blouse originally from Topshop. You have to laugh at the sizing, I'm exactly the same weight/ measurements as I was back the 1980s when I wore a Topshop size 10, now I'm size 4! The basket also started life in Topshop (pointed out by the manager of the Air Ambulance as she knows my fetish for baskets) and the straw cross body bag originally was sold through Hush.


Here's a sneak peak of an amazing piece of vintage 1960s clobber I've found. It's a bit grubby and in need of some steaming but it should be ready to wear before the week's out. It's pretty trippy!


And, because this post is very clothes-heavy, here's William at 6am this morning on the Chair of Judgement. 


And here's a few more meals we've cooked recently - a mushroom & leek pot pie with homemade oven chips, a beetroot, thyme & red onion galette and a Mediterranean briam (all made following recipes in the five ingredient vegan book I wrote about last week) plus a creamy vegetable pasta I made using leftovers (liberally sprinkled with parsley from the garden). 

Thanks for reading & see you soon! 

 

50 comments:

  1. The Outfit with the red Boots are pretty, the red Boots are adorable. I love it how you wear the Afghan Coat, you look elegant in a great Way. Happy Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats really kind of you, thank you! xxx

      Delete
  2. Pretend the pendant has W for Walsall! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what fabulous clothes they are! I loved all your outfits; especially the matchy gilet and dress; what an amazing find the gilet was. The Afghan coat looks so warm and haven't we needed warm coats the last couple of days? The pendant you found was lovely and I loved your home made one, too. Great finds in the chazzas and I liked your bags and the linen top - roll on summer! Some yummy food going on there. I've just made rice and dhal for dinner.

    William looks as if he's always been asleep on the 'Chair of Judgement'...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni. That gilet lives up to William Morris's advice about how everything in your home should be either beautiful or useful - it's both! I can't believe its coat weather already, the Beeb keep saying about mild starts but I've been out in a coat and gloves all week. Yes, roll on Summer!
      Mmm, rice and dhal, one of my favourites!
      It was the first time William's ever been on that chair on his own, he usually sits on my lap. xxx

      Delete
  4. Your hair is amazing in these photos, I'm blown away by how fast it grows, and the color is really pretty. You're my fave UK blog, reading here in Sunny San Diego USA. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I've loving my hair adventures - the colour has changed so much over the last few years and I've never known it so long, I'm sure it must be down to the daily Gingko tablet I take. Sending lots of love to sunny San Diego - Jon's always said that it's his favourite place in the USA! xxx

      Delete
  5. Sigh………. the incredible clothes you find! You would be sorely disappointed with the charity/ thrift stores here in Canada. Very seldom do you see vintage clothing. William and your meals look lovely.
    Take care.❤️
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robin and thanks so much! Not all our charity shops are treasure troves but we are very lucky in my part of the world! William's very good at supervising our meals although he's sorely disappointed with the vegan cooking! xxx

      Delete
  6. Hi the necklace is made from horse shoe nails. Fab post as ever BTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Adrienne! You were the first to identify the horseshoe nails. Wha a brilliant upcycle! xxx

      Delete
    2. Those pendants were very fashionable in the seventies.They were made and sold by hippies on the streets. I had one for years till some needed it for a hippie party.

      Delete
    3. Hello Josephine! One of my friends suggested I Google "mustard jewellery" and I found some really interesting Mid-Century stuff. Its good to know that recycling/upcycling was still in vogue 40 years ago. xxx

      Delete
    4. I thought I got a nice bargain at AUD $10 for what I thought was high end designer piece at a church fair. I found after looking for the symbol on line it was horse nails too . I gave it as a present to a friend that looooovvves horses and she wears it all the time, so good result!

      Delete
    5. i'm glad your horse-mad friend appreciated her thoughtful pressie! Like you, I thought that necklace might have been some swanky designer piece with the initials stamped on! I won't be retiring just yet! xxx

      Delete
  7. Looking fabulous as always. I’m glad your life revolves around clothes because I love seeing your outfits. I think your crazy pendant is made from horseshoe nails. They look like nails I bought last year to put a horseshoe outside my door. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Louise! You, Adrienne and Anne have solved the mystery of the weird pendant, horseshoe nails! Who'd have thunk it?! xxx

      Delete
  8. These clothes are gorgeous! I really love your Afghan coat. Clothes really are a creative expression, it's fun and inspiring to curate a wardrobe I reckon.
    I'm fascinated by others" comments about the necklace and horseshoe nails - keep us posted on what you find out.
    Those meals look delicious. Can you post about the other books when they arrive please 🙂 I just picked up an Itsu cookbook from the chazzers and made a really tasty ramen tonight. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - you're so right about clothes being a creative expression. I love how they are often icebreakers and that strangers will stop me in the street and chat about what I'm wearing. I get so much joy from my wardrobe, trying out different combinations or dragging something out of hibernation that I've not worn for a while, it's like greeting an old friend.
      The Itsu cookbook sounds like a great find. the other two books in the vegan series are brimming with inspiration, I'm not sure what to make next. They certainly rekindled my interest in cooking. xxx

      Delete
  9. Love the pendant and all your outfits. Amazing how much William is at home with you both. It was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marjorie! Aren't cats weird? It's been six months since William walked into the lounge and went to sleep on the chaise, I still feel very honoured that he chose us! xxx

      Delete
  10. Your outfits are also so inspiring and make me consider the clothes in my closet and wearing them differently. Thanks for the photo of William, and I can feel the judgement from here. I've been reading your blog since Polly Piglet and love the cat updates (as well as clothes, travel, Caulke Abbey and other National Trust properties). I'm actually planning holiday for next year and Caulke Abbey and Black Country LIving Museum are on the top of the list to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for those kind words, Diane. I love playing around with my clothes and trying out new combinations, it's strangely satisfying the pull out garments you've had for ages and discover that they look brilliant together.
      William is very judge-y! I can feel his eyes boring into the back of my skull when I'm doing my daily Wii Fit workout, willing me to abandon my press-ups and give him a few treats. You are a long-time reader, we lost Polly Piglet eight years ago and, like the other cats I've loved, a day rarely goes by when i don't think of her.
      I'm loving the sound of your travel plans, you won't be disappointed with Calke Abbey or the BCM (they've recently opened a new street, dedicated to the 1960s) two places we're long overdue a visit. xxx

      Delete
  11. The pendant is made with horse shoe nails, for sure! Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anne! You, Louise and Adrienne are geniuses! xxx

      Delete
  12. Hello vix still trying to sort out commenting as my blog name but just wanted to say some great clothes finds there I am sure I have something like that pendent in my stash somewhere as well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that you, Eileen? I'm delighted to see you back in Blogland! xxx

      Delete
  13. The meals look delicious, especially the pasta. I always love to see your outfit posts and the colour/pattern combos, this weeks is really giving me my vix fix! Your afghan coat is such a gem. I love a good belt and my best ones have been found in chazzas, the leather is so much better when someone else has worn it until it's soft and pliable :) Beetty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty! We've not had pasta in ages - its a great way of using up all the bits and pieces of veg in the fridge.
      My Afghan got so much love on Monday, lots of women were asking me where they could get one from, I told them it took years of patience to find a vintage one at a reasonable price but there was always Superdry if they weren't prepared to wait!
      I love well worn leather and suede, its got so much more personality! xxx

      Delete
  14. The kaftan and William Morris waistcoat are a match made in heaven!
    Amazing haul at the chazzas - my cowboy boots are Loblan...lovely but destroying my feet!
    I think Jon's putting something in your porridge. How do you manage to rise at 5 am after an eight our pub session? :-D William on the chair of judgment giving you the stink eye made chuckle too.
    Looking forward to seeing the trippy 60s garment! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I hadn't thought of combining the two before - every day is an adventure in my wardrobe. Loblan boots are gorgeous, I'll save them for next year's festival season, they're something that really needs to be tried on, the sizes are so tricky to get right, aren't they?
      I go though these mad sleep cycles, the last week or so I've been awake at 4am but make myself stay in bed till at least 5am. It's so annoying but I do get loads done. xxx

      Delete
  15. I still have my Betty Jackson velvet opera coat. There's no chance of it fitting me now, I'm quite a bit heavier than I was when I bought it!
    I love it though, and it holds loads of good memories, so it lives in the back of a wardrobe, waiting in vain for me to lose weight!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy you having the same opera coat, Col! The quality is absolutely gorgeous, I really had to restrain myself from sneaking it into my wardrobe. I don't blame you for holding on to it, if only clothes could talk! xxx

      Delete
    2. I'm quite pleased my opera coat can't talk, I'm not sure I'd want people to hear what I got up to in those days! X

      Delete
    3. Haha! I'm so glad to be of an age when we didn't have mobile phones, I'd hate to be reminded of some the stuff I did back in the day. xxx

      Delete
  16. Busy as always Vix. Your energy and enthusiasm are engaging. Glad Mr William is happily at home with you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks so much! I drive myself mad sometimes, I find it impossible to keep still! William is a very happy little boy! xxx

      Delete
  17. I can't believe how well your block printed kaftan Morris & Co gilet match, I actually thought they were a "set". Your 1970s Shubette Mythical Beasts maxi is one of my favourites of yours and it looks an absolute treat here with your massive-sleeved velvet jacket.
    The Anokhi midi skirt and high-necked black blouse is another favourite here, and those 1960s go go boots are to die for.
    Well done to Jon for finding those Clarks desert boots, which I'm sure Jos will covet when I show him the photos.
    Great chazza finds: my eyes were instantly drawn to the green wool midi coat. As for the keepers, being a fellow addict that straw basket and cross body bag would have come home with me as well.
    Can't wait to see you wearing that mysterious, trippy garment! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann, I couldn't believe how well those two garments went together, I love it when that happens! The Mythical Beasts dress is so Autumnal and cosy, it's been several years since I last wore those boots, I'd forgotten how comfy they were.
      I know Jos loves his Clarks boots as much as Jon. Now Wilkos has gone it's probably the only decent shop left on our high street, he kind of feels like if he doesn't keep treating himself to Clarks Originals it might disappear altogether. xxx

      Delete
  18. Eh up Vix, I walked past our local 'spoons at around 10:30 this morning. It was heaving, but no one appeared to be as well dressed as you! The adjustable clip belt is ingenious & I love how you made the Indian necklace from a bangle. The Chair of Judgement did make me laugh :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stranger! Lovely to hear from you. I'm not saying we're regulars in Spoons but when we paid for our breakfast on Tuesday we got staff discount!
      The Chair of Judgement is now the settee of Judgement, I'm getting the side eye for daring to catch up with blogs rather than give William his second breakfast! xxx

      Delete
  19. I love seeing your outfits, Vix! Clever to connect some of your jewelry to make a new necklace - and as soon as I saw the horseshoe nail necklace, I knew what it was (my mum has one - it's from the 70s), so glad a reader helped you out. I adore peering at your vintage finds - I would love to thrift-shop with you one day!

    Good to see Sir William on the Chair of Judgment, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! Those horseshoe necklaces are fascinating, who knew they were a thing and fancy your mum having one!
      Cats are so judgy - aren't they? I can feel William's eyes boring into when I'm on the Wii Fit and he's sitting on the Chair of Judgement willing me to abandon my workout and give him a second breakfast! xxx

      Delete
  20. Hurrah for fabulous clothes!, totally in love with your outfits, particularly that dress and (recently discovered) matchy gillet, so perfect ensemble and colours!.
    Also loving your colourful Mythical Beast dress and fab velvet jacket, and that afghan coat over block printed dress, you're looking really gorgeous in that golden autumn light!
    Lord Jon rocks his new Clarks, totally fab style!.
    That pendant is such an original piece!, really amazing and love it!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  21. You sure make clothes come alive. You're an absolute artist in that!
    Gorgeous outfits, all of them.
    You look especially radiant with joy and style in your beloved Afghan coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet comment! Thanks, Ivana. xxx

      Delete
  22. I get googley eyed when I see all your amazing finds! Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All's good here,thank you! Have a lovely week. xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix