Friday 7 April 2023

Viewing, Reading, Wearing, Doing...

 


Despite a cold start to the day, on Tuesday I walked down to the baths with bare legs and my Morris & Co trainers. 


I'd not worn this Dilli Grey dress since Athens - which feels like a long time ago now.


After breakfast in 'Spoons we walked home via Lidl and picked up a £1.50 Waste Not Box. New potatoes, bananas, strawberries, vine tomatoes, chillies, two Little Gem lettuce, apples, a carrot and a couple of avocados - excellent!


After pegging the washing out on the line, I listed some stock on eBay, turned over another raised bed and spent the rest of the afternoon in a bikini reading William Boyd's A Good Man in Africa in the glorious sunshine. After his annual trip to the council tip, Lord Jon worked on Gilbert.


We had a Greek-style salad for tea using some of the vine tomatoes, new potatoes & Little Gem lettuce from the box along with the rest of the green beans & red onion from last week's. I applied a liberal sprinkling of mint from the garden to my potato and green bean salad. 


We watched Interior Design Masters and Home Greek Home. I started reading Sebastian Faulks' Where My Heart Used To Beat which, in parts seems familiar so I'm not sure if I've read it before but his writing is so brilliant I've continued regardless. I didn't start recording the books I read until three years ago, so I'm amazed I don't accidentally start books I've already read more often, there must be hundreds of them!


Wednesday's weather had reverted back to miserably cold and wet and, after a whole day's absence, Mr William Woolberforce was waiting on the step when I got up. After a cuddle, he polished off three breakfasts before scampering back up the garden and over the wall towards the windmill.


After a workout breakfast was strawberries, banana and apple with full fat Greek yoghurt sprinkled with seeds, dried fruit and nuts.




My vintage Ritu Kumar for Monsoon dress was layered with a brand new Morris & Co quilted cotton gilet (I've been stalking the clearance rails, it's been reduced from £65 to £16!)


The weather was dismal but, with festival season looming on the horizon, we went out in search of stock.


Clockwise from top left: YESNO cotton maxi dress with tags attached; 1980s Hawaiian shirt; Silk screen printed leopard scarf; Indian crinkle cotton midi skirt; Y2K French Connection silk and sequin bustier - tags still attached; Contemporary corset; Topshop acid wash denim jacket; West African waxed cotton tunic; sequin wash bag with tags attached; 1980s C&A envelope clutch bag


Clockwise from top left: 1970s hand knit cardi; 1980s West German military shirt; River Island statement sleeve top with tags still attached; two vintage Crombie overcoats; Rêveuse (Los Angeles label) gingham maxi with tags still attached; 1990s Aries II American-made maxi dress; Indian kurta; 1960s fake fur lined hooded jacket; Zara embroidered blouse - with tags still attached; Miss Selfridge 1990s shirred cotton sun top.


Instead of our usual noodles, I had an avocado, spinach and rocket sandwich for lunch - Lidl's sourdough bread is so big I only needed one slice. It was too wet to contemplate taking eBay photos so I wrote descriptions and saved them to draft then submitted our paperwork to Glastonbury (it suddenly feels real, two months and counting!) before cracking on with another crochet tank top.


After half a pizza and sweet potato wedges we watched back to back episodes of the BBC's new black comedy Rain Dogs ( love love love Daisy May Jones!) before tuning into this week's episode of Race Across The World. It was Wednesday so rum was involved.


It was still raining on Thursday morning when we walked to the baths for our second swim of the week. After a 'Spoons breakfast (my usual, Mushrooms Benedict) the rain had finally stopped and, after a wander around the town centre chazzas we walked home. 


I managed to photograph everything (and pose for a picture) between showers. I wore a vintage Anokhi blouse with some chazza shop skinnies and my Urban Outfitters' snakeskin boots.


This little man turned up for food and cuddles....



Awwwww!


After conquering the mending pile I reorganised my craft corner, decanted the contents of two sewing boxes into one and dusted my craft/fashion resource bookshelf and the poodle parlour.


I bought these 1930s penguin bookends from a jumble sale when I was 21.


In the mood for cleaning I swept the rug and mopped the floorboards in our bedroom before a reshuffle of the pictures on the chimney breast.


Tea was salad with sour dough bread and the remaining avocado from the veg box. 


We watched the rest of Rain Dogs followed by the excellent Get on Up fronted by brilliant Brummie actor, David Harewood. We'd missed the first episode so we'll have a catch-up over the weekend.


After my workout and fruit & yoghurt breakfast Jon moved the furniture out of the lounge so I could sweep the rugs (we don't possess a vacuum cleaner) and give everything a good dusting.


We don't do minimalism....





After pegging the laundry on the line I raked over the wild flower meadow outside the gates whilst Jon planted rocket, carrots, beetroot and potatoes.



Especially for Annie

Lunch was hot cross buns (two each,  manual work requires calories!) with lashings of best butter. Waiting for the tea to brew I emptied the fridge and gave it a wash down (must be Spring fever!)


On our south facing terrace the thermometer hit the heady heights of 24°C and, with a pot of mint tea and the parakeets squawking in the London Plane trees, it felt much more exotic than an April afternoon in Walsall!





The shorts made their first appearance of the year.


And I cracked open the Summer suitcase for a skirt to wear with the shirred cotton top I'd bought from a charity shop on Wednesday morning.


I'm off to catch up with Blogland before the bar opens. Have a fabulous long weekend!


51 comments:

  1. Wow, someone's got the spring cleaning bug, everything looks lovely and sparkling.

    Bare legs, bare arms and Lord Jon in shorts ... and here's me debating whether to click on the central heating for half an hour as my fingers are turning blue! It WAS lovely in the sunshine first thing this morning though, the dogs basked in our little patio suntrap soaking up the first proper signs of Spring.

    I need to watch Rain Dogs, I saw a trailer for it last week and really fancied it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that sunshine, it doesn't half show off the swathes of cobwebs and inches of dust, Sue!
      We did put the heating on (and brought Jacob inside) last night, it went really old again, it must be those dazzling blue skies.
      Rain Dogs is a brilliant watch, I think you'll enjoy it. xxx

      Delete
    2. I watched it, and I LOVED it. xx

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad you loved it as much as I did! xxx

      Delete
  2. Side return's looking great!!It looks a lot bigger vegetation-filled! Thanks for pic! Brilliant blue skies here but chilly out of the sun. Lots going on this weekend too. Nice to see folks finally going about their business unfettered, though masks are still compulsory at docs, dentists, opticians and chemists up here. Our Postie has worn his shorts all through wintertime, brave soul.that Sebastian Faulks book looks good.Your maximalism is tres stylish! Have a good weekend.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes me ages to clean up that little space as I always ending up chatting to people.
      That's interesting about the masks still being compulsorily in Scotland (like they are in Spain), it's got to the point where I'm forgetting to pop one in my bag - so strange when you think back to a couple of years ago.
      We've got a few of the dedicated shorts wearing posties, too - crazy folk.
      Have a fab Easter weekend, Annie! xxx

      Delete
  3. It’s funny that, even after reading the blog for years, I still see things I’ve never seen before. The poodle parlor is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The poodle parlour used to be in our bedroom but that shelf seemed to fit the craft corner better! xxx

      Delete
  4. We could do with some of that sunshine. I'm so ready for some warm sunshine on my body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send some your way. It's already dazzling here! xxx

      Delete
  5. The poodles are fun. We have a Rough Collie collection. One in particular looks like Lassie on crack.

    I just realized that I have several of the plates used in wetherspoons! They were on sale at Winners (our version of TK Maxx). I'm a sucker for blue and white and so we have four dinner plates.

    We are watching the snow melt, so we may see the tulips by the end of May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of your rough collie collection especially Lassie on Crack, I can't resist a mad looking ornament!
      Are your plates made in Staffordshire? As well as keeping the British carpet industry going and saving many historical buildings in our towns and cities, Wetherspoons are keeping the Potteries afloat, too!
      Tulips by May - your winters are so long! xxx

      Delete
  6. My daughter has your decorating style, slowly curating bits to fit her style. Your meals are just so fresh, nice inspiration for those of us both wanting to eat better and waste not. Good luck with your stock searching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Your daughter must be a magpie like us, buying with the heart rather than following interior design trends which inevitably leads to mad decluttering every time fashions change. xxx

      Delete
  7. I love your shoes, they look fun and comfy. I never heard of waste not box and all that food for 1.50 a pound. American money that would be 1.86, let call two bucks. Still a good deal.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dora. Those trainers are fabulously comfy and pretty, too - always a plus.
      The Waste Not boxes are exceptional value, all supermarkets ought to offer them. x

      Delete
  8. Garden is looking great, m'dear - as are you :-) I'm not as far through the Spring Cleaning as you, all this darn sunshine has really shown up a winter of dusty corners. 🌞

    William W. is definitely making himself comfortable - as he is getting used to regular food from you, is there a kind neighbour who will keep bowls topped up whilst you are at festivals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne! Those awful cobwebs galvanised me into action yesterday, it won't last!
      William's just been for his two breakfasts. We've got friends with children who live around the corner, they looked after Jacob (and poor old Ollie) last Summer and, as their garden's quite small, they bring a picnic and play for a few hours. xxx

      Delete
  9. I love reading your blog posts, Vix!
    As always your patchwork corner with the curtains and chair is amazing and I loved having a nosey at your book shelf. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I've been very neglectful with my housekeeping since lockdown ended, it felt good to have a big Spring clean yesterday! xxx

      Delete
  10. I still haven't managed to track down a waste not want box. There's also no sign of the vegan gyros in our Lidl. Boo!
    William's coat looks very healthy...it must be what you're feeding him. What a handsome fella!
    I love your new William Morris waistcoat and your garden's looking gorgeous in the sunshine. You had 10 degrees on us yesterday! We reached 14.5 and it felt fabulous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those vegan gyros might have been leftover from Lidl's Greek week, they usually do them twice a year so I'll let you know when the Greek travel forums start getting excited!
      William's got a lovely coat, hasn't he? He's such a little cat, he can't be very old.
      The front of our house gets ridiculously warm, venture to the bottom o fthe garden and it's like being on a different continent! xxx

      Delete
  11. Enjoy your Easter together
    Perhaps you can do my spring cleaning now that you have finished yours 🤣
    And the Poodle Parlour❤️
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love to you, Siobhan. You've been in my thoughts. If I lived nearer I'd happily come and clean for you. xxx

      Delete
  12. It's lovely to read your posts, so many activities, you're busy as a bee!.
    Love particularly to see that craft corner and the colourful details in your home!. Minimalism is so overrated! ;DD
    That new Morris &Co gilet is a fab piece, lovely print and style!. Lovely trainers too!
    Looking fab in your summery outfits!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! I'm not sure what William Morris would have thought of his designs adorning trainers and gilets but I love them! xxx

      Delete
  13. I can't believe you've been wearing that shirred top already. I've only just managed to shed my warmest Winter coats, and am still wearing all the layers!
    I'm still waiting to catch the Spring cleaning bug too, so now I'm feeling like a bit of a slob ...
    The Morris & Co. gilet is fabulous and looks absolutely perfect with your Ritu Kumar dress.
    Loving the 1930s penguin bookends, what a bargain they were.
    I recently bought a book in a chazza only to realize after I'd paid for it that I'd already read it. And it definitely wouldn't be the first time I'm starting to read a book and having a feeling of déjà-vu (or should that be déjà-lu?).
    Aww, look at Jon and William getting along like a house on fire! He'll be living with you in no time now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The front of the house is a proper sun trap. Jon thought I was being a tad optimistic when I went outdoors in that top on Friday but, soon followed suit and changed into his shorts.
      I don't know what came over with me with all that cleaning, i thought the desire to do housework disappeared with lockdown!
      Its so annoying to buy a book you've already read.I do it with Philippa Gregory all the time as the publisher changes the cover for every edition.
      William's on my lap as I type this! xxx

      Delete
  14. Don't think you have shown your poodle collection before, it's lovely :) you must have a little pocket of shelter in Walsall, although we have sun I am wearing a fairisle jumper today! it's still very cold here in sunny Surrey although I have been bizzy in the garden working up a sweat. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been years since I shared my poodles!
      The front of the house is a proper suntrap. Yesterday I spent the day in shirts and a suntop reading on a deckchair but needed a jacket to venture further down the garden to retrieve the washing from the line. My face is really brown!
      Hope the weather stays good enough for gardening. I'm going to plant a few seeds and spend the day in the pub. xxx

      Delete
  15. 24 degrees - awesome. I can't get over all that fruit and veg for so little. That would cost 10x the price here in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been glorious in our South facing garden although if I ventured out of the sun it was rather nippy! Those Waste Not boxes are great value, you'd think the produce would be rotten at that price but it's arre we have to discard anything! xxx

      Delete
  16. Lovely to see all the colourful and quirky corners of your home. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your William Morris trainers. William Morris is everywhere now! In John Lewis they had a dog range! William Morris adorned dog bowl and shampoo. The dog shampoo was fragrances with patchouli, if you don't mind! That was my fave perfume back in 1972, patchouli oil.
    How lucky you were with the sunshine last week, it was wet and cold here. I still have thermals on. Happy Easter weekend to you. Carole x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole! That's William Morris trainers, espadrilles, a gilet and a bra now. It's exciting to find so many of his wonderful prints being used although the dog bowl and shampoo seem rather odd. I still wear patchouli (Lush's Karma solid perfume), it makes anyone of a certain age who hugs me get very nostalgic!
      I'm sorry your weather didn't play as nicely as ours, we've got the rain now but it was wonderful while it lasted! xxx

      Delete
  18. Oooh I do love the peeks into your home routine Vix! After a blissfully bright and cheery weekend we're back to gloom here - but I have cleared our laundry queue and all of the bedding I've been saving for line drying lol The airing cupboard is empty (apart from the glory hole section!).

    Your gentleman caller is so handsome - most cats do like a good fussing dont they lol
    Brilliant swag and do try Lidl's oat and honey loaf - fabulous toasted and freezes well. Your Waste Not boxes are amazing - sadly, ours are not so much.

    Did you see this in The Guardian this morning?
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/apr/10/a-new-start-after-60-i-left-the-civil-service-and-started-dressing-in-tudor-costume
    Right up your historic street and there's a fab blog too
    https://rosemarygriggs.co.uk/

    Never-knowingly-minimalistly and off for a hearty breakfast before more loft exploration to find summer dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine! Sorry, I've been off the internet for a couple of days, I've just spotted your email.
      We've been blessed with the weather and managed to get lots done outside between deluges and at least it's not cold. You've done well to get the laundry queue under control. I've managed to wash a few of my spring dresses and get them dried outside, they smell like new (even if they are older than me!)
      I shall seek out that loaf, Lidl bakery had me salivating every time I pop in.
      Those links are amazing, what costumes! Thank you for sharing! xxx

      Delete
  19. Tish-tosh - I forgot to sign in - it's Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope that milder weather has continued over Easter Vix and your garden is enjoying its Spring glory. I always enjoy a peek at your home and its collections. As a fellow vego I am always so inspired by your yummy looking meals, puts me to shame. Sorry I've missed so many posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill! Always lovely to hear from you. We've got rain this afternoon but most of the weekend has been lovely and I've managed to get a fair bit done outside! xxx

      Delete
  21. Hello Vix! It's always a pleasure to see what you're up to. Those colourful trainers look adorable. Your outfits are always lovely. I love the dress you haven't worn since Athena, great you got to wear it again. It looks like the weather there is very nice. The skirt and top combo you're rocking on the last photograph is so summery....and Jon's matching you in summer vibes with his shorts and all. How cute is that photograph of him with the cat btw. I've started feeding one yellow tomcat, he's so adorable. I must take a photo of him one of these days. He's so cuddly!
    Such a joy to see your colourful home. It's so important for one's home to reflect one's artistic and personal tastes because home is the place we should feel most comfortable in.
    I'm not against minimalism as such, but it is not for everyone. In fact, it could be argued that it's not for most people. I've even read about how many people are depressed because they live in those kind of sterilize minimalist ' catalogue chic' homes. Minimalism may be a great fit for some people, but the modern catalogue version is often too depressive.

    I hope you have had a lovely prolonged weekend. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ivana! Thanks for popping in, it's lovely to hear from you.
      We've had some lovely weather here this weekend, it's felt almost Mediterranean-like at times although I'd rather be there than here!
      I like the sound of your new feline friend and hope you manage to take a photo. William's certainly very photogenic and poses for the camera like a pro (or a blogger!)
      Minimalism seems so joyless, l can't be doing with restraint, I'm too much of a magpie! xxx

      Delete
  22. Loving your glass collection! I'm a fan of Whitefriars glass (among others). I'll have to check out Rain Dogs... I've been catching up on The Cleaner this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my glass - I've only got three pieces of Whitefriars but I live in hope! The Cleaner looks good, I think we need to give it a try. xxx

      Delete
  23. Just been doing an epic catch up of all your posts from the last two months. I don't know where to start really when it comes to commenting. I have a list of things to watch and read now! I'm glad you have been enjoying the sunshine and have another beautiful boy visiting you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to hear from you, G. I hope things are okay with you.
      Isn't William a beauty? We're rather taken with him. xxx

      Delete
  24. From William Morris to William the kitty, you have it all, Vix! I'm boggled at those Lidl cheap boxes - we don't have anything like that here. An avocado on sale is 2 for $3, but they can be as much as $5 each (that's about 2.5 Euros).

    Your new Morris waistcoat is lovely! I also love that black and white maxi you found. I just noticed Rain Dogs on one of the channels here and hadn't heard of it, so I'll be setting my PVR!

    Love your maximalist house! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, life's always better with a cat!
      Those boxes continue to amaze me. I rarely buy avocados, imported strawberries or asparagus as they're so expensive normally. Since I discovered the boxes we're eating better than ever. xxx

      Delete
  25. A lovely spring clean. Craft corner is amazing, especially the poodle parlour! Salads look super yummy Vix :) xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix