Monday 3 April 2023

Spring Has Sprung!


Thanks for the anniversary wishes! After paying the invoices for two of our festivals, we spent Saturday in our grubbiest gear messing around in the garden and despite the cold starts, I think we can safely say that Spring has sprung (although it's set to drop to zero later so Jacob's still coming in at night!)


This boy has kept us company all weekend (and nearly eaten us out of house and home!)


The pathways will soon be fringed with bluebells,


And the magnolia's out.

I don't need to forage in the woods for wild garlic, it's growing in abundance in our garden beside the daffodils and around the pond, and I've been harvesting fistfuls to mix in with our salads. 

Hello to all the plants we purchased during lockdown, back like old friends (hopefully unlike Covid!)

The Rheum is back, along with its edible sister, Victoria, ready to be made into oaty crumbles.



Nursing a glass of Barefoot's White Zinfandel, I finished the book I'd started the previous weekend, Sarah Water's Affinity (what a twist!) before joining Jon at the kitchen table for our anniversary dinner of home cooked pizza and salad, followed by lashing of rum and the last four episodes of Daisy Jones and The Six. A most excellent watch (and very exciting to see Greece make an appearance).


Sunday morning started with tea and reading in bed (Jeanette Winterson's Weight, the reimagined story behind the Greek myth of Atlas and Heracles) and after breakfast, we drove into town calling in at Lidl, the clearance chazza and Wilko's from where we bought seeds  - Aphrodite parsley, Wild Rocket Apollo and Mustard Ruby Streaks - from their new range especially designed for small spaces and containers. After lunch we sewed them in pots before nipping round to Liz & Adrian's to drop off his birthday present (his birthday, like my other friend Liz, was also on Wednesday).

I wore my Levi's denim shirt with my vintage Anokhi maxi skirt along with a pair of Gucci sunglasses.

I haven't shared my Athens souvenir, have I? I spotted these hand made bronze and enamel "Evil Eye" earrings in a high end gift shop in the shadow of the Acropolis and had to make them mine. They're the most expensive earrings I've ever owned. By contrast, the horse brass pendant was something Jon found in a 20p basket in a charity shop.


We had a Greek-ish salad for tea.

Later we watched three episodes of excellent Belfast-based BBC cop series Blue Lights.

And, I cracked on with another crochet tank top using some wool scraps Liz had donated. I took A Good Man in Africa to bed, the only William Boyd book I haven't read.

Monday kicked off with a Wii Fit workout and, after breakfast and parcel wrapping, we drove over to our favourite Black Country town for some charity shopping via the post office.


This 1970s India Imports of Rhode Island maxi skirt wasn't in my capsule wardrobe but, with the weather finally feeling a little more Spring-like, I've swapped it with one of my suede mini skirts (which I've donated to the stockroom). 


My Monday Mo(u)rning outfit was accessorised with my 3 x great grandmother's mourning brooch.


That rather dashing Byronesque looking chap is my 3 x great grandfather, architect Robert Chapman (1808 - 1883) of Trentham, Staffordshire. 

Lord Jon bought this framed print of William Russell Flint's Zoronga (1936) from a charity shop last week but we were carrying so much stuff that we accidently left it behind. Luckily, they'd kept it for us. It was framed by the Horner Galleries in Sheffield in the late 1930s (after researching the label - hooray for the internet). 

We think £3 was a bargain!

Whilst queuing at the till, I started chatting to a gorgeous woman deliberating as to whether, at 55, she was too old to wear an electric blue midi skirt with a cutwork hem. I told her not to be so daft, I'm a year older than her and was about to hand over £3 for a slinky velvet backless dress with side splits up to my knickers. You'll be glad to know that she bought it and has promised faithfully to wear it.

Unless you're buying kids' garments, clothes don't come with an age printed on the label. If you like it, bloody wear it! I shall be prancing around a field in this dress come the summer, complete with ridiculous head dress, neon lippie and a can of gin and tonic.


I love what Lioness say about their brand:

Australian fashion house Lioness delivers sexy, luxury-inspired product designed for head-strong, fearless women who love to dress the way they feel.Never lacking in passion, the Lioness girl defies stereotypes, oozes confidence and refuses to be defined.

Amen to that!


 What else did we buy? A 1990s Adidas jacket; 1990s leather moto jacket; Moschino sweatshirt; Topshop milkmaid blouse (with store tags still attached); Johnny B (Boden) nautical top; 1980s organza cocktail jacket; Lioness maxi dress; Zara studded cotton gilet; 1970s Hawaiian shirt; 1980s Egyptian print rayon midi; Joe Browns x Coline zig-zag flares (mine!); 1990s leather jacket; Clarks leopard flatforms; 1990s leather coat; River Island fringed maxi skirt (store tags still attached); Red non-Verse; Cowboy hat; Vintage Wallis Shirtwaist dress.

I loved this Fashion Illustration book that I splashed out a whole £1 for. 


The Anna Sui midi dress in the above illustration needs to be in my wardrobe!








This afternoon has been glorious. I cast off my boots and did some gardening with bare legs - bliss!


Tea was a spicy stir-fry using a pack of veg reduced to 26p in Lidl yesterday.

Tonight we'll be watching the rest of Blue Lights - once I've caught up with Blogland.

See you soon!

42 comments:

  1. Greetings from Hebdon Bridge where I'm terrifiedly about to begin a 4 day stretch of the Pennine Way (just did a test walk of about 5miles where I had an absolute melt down on a horridly diagonal steep, narrow woodland path. I wish ppl could see it from my poor spacial awareness perspective and why I'm absolutely petrified. C was confused why I was able to go across a narrow plank over a river without a word but have hysterics on the aforementioned path).
    Your garden is looking gorgeous! I love that all the lockdown old friends are back again!
    Your charity shop purchases are great! I like the Boden top and the flares plus your swanky dress (is it Lurex, velvet??)very much!
    Yes, i shall wear what I want!! One of the kids at school said she loves that I always dress so colourfully when all the other teachers dress in dark stuff.
    Your evil eye earrings are superb!
    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh look I'm in 1st place!!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! First prize goes to Kezzie! I hope Hebden Bridge is as sunny as it's been down here today and I feel your pain, my peripheral vision is very poor. Take your time and go at your own pace and think about not having to wait for trains and escaping work for a week.
      That dress is velvet, a fabric I never wear in the Summer, it seems a weird choice but I'm liking it.
      How fabulous to get a comment like that, I bet you're the most stylish teacher! xxx

      Delete
  3. Fabulous post as usual, Happy Anniversary and - perhaps something to save for after your season? - there's a 6 episode series on Prime called The English and something tells me you might just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! Long time, no speak. Hope all's good with you! We watched The English on the BBC last year and absolutely loved it - you know my taste so well! xxx

      Delete
  4. We are waiting a few more weeks to clear out our garden beds so as to not disturb any cover needed for the butterflies and bumblebees. I can't wait to sit in our backyard with cocktails! I need a dress to wear like that too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alex (thanks for letting me know it's you on Facebook!) Things are springing into life, aren't they? No pruning and all our leaf gathering has been done with our hands just in case we disturb anything! I like the idea of wearing that dress for a backyard cocktail - when it warms up a bit I might do just that! xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Vix, happy anniversary. I love the velvety dress you found - very pretty and looks great on your slim figure :) hope your cat comes indoors -- then he's yours! We are still getting a light frost in the mornings here and got the heating on. You are so right, only children's clothes have age labels! we can wear what we want :) I am always looking out for a red anokhi skirt like ours, it's quite unusual - looks great with denim too. Your hair is looking wonderfully conditioned. Today I am having my hair coloured, the blonde fringe is moving way for some darker tones. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I loved the colour of that velvet dress, so unusual!
      I'm hoping we can tempt William indoors, he'll eat inside but gets very skittish. He's quite happy to be picked up, cuddled and even lets us tickle his belly - that's a rarity!
      Its gorgeous in the sunshine but you're right, we still need the heating on in the mornings and at night. Surely it won't be too long to waist till its sunbathing weather.
      I like the sound of your darker toned hair, it'll really suit you. It sounds like you've got a great hairdresser open to suggestions. xxx

      Delete
    2. hair came out well, she's so good, insisted on keeping some bits of blonde to soften the look and blend some grey, and matched my natural dark brown really well - Olaplex is fantastic too as gives protection and texture.

      Delete
  6. Belated Happy Anniversary! I adore those zigzag palazzo pants. Can't wait to see you wearing them.Also the velvet dress is stunning on you. I'm warming to Blue Lights but I miss Paris Police. It was so polished. Does your Russell Flint have a signature? I have a few of his prints but not enough walls to hang them all on!Good job in the garden. I used to so look forward to your garden posts during lockdown. How's the side return looking? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous! Thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm looking forward to wearing those zig zag trousers, I thought beachwear at first but they might be okay to wear normally - I'll give them a try this week if the sun continues to shine.
      I wish there were more Paris Police in the series, it reminded me of Peaky Blinders with the strong female characters and the darkly violent storyline, fantastically edgy. We loved Blue Lights although it scared me to death in parts!
      I'm reluctant to take the Russell Flint out of the frame to investigate further, there's a printed signature but I know he did quite a few limited signed editions. I know what you mean about lack of walls, I've got a pile of pictures stacked up in various rooms witing for inspiration.
      I'm all fired up for gardening now the sun's out. I might persuade Lord Jon to take me to the garden centre this week as a post anniversary treat!
      Side return? Is that predictive text? Do you mean the side garden? If soi, it's getting nicely wild! xxx

      Delete
    2. No idea how why I turned up as Anonymous!!! It's me!x

      Delete
    3. Yes the side garden! We call it a side return up here!

      Delete
    4. Hello Annie! Blogger's so weird, I replied to comments on my own blog the other day and it came up as anonymous, too! A side return? How interesting. I've never heard of that before. I'll have to photograph it soon. xxx

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary!! I love the festival dress and the quote from Lioness, words to live by. I want to be myself, enjoy my long hair at almost 60, and wear what i like!

    And I so appreciate the garden photos, in Ohio (US) the early flowers are here, but i can't wait for full on spring and summer.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kristin! Lovely to hear from you. I'm glad the Spring flowers are appearing in Ohio, isn't it cheering to see them after months of drab old winter!
      Yay to having long hair and wearing what we like without fear, here's to at least another thirty decades of being ourselves! xxx

      Delete
  8. I'm glad that you have some feline company and your hard work during lockdown has certainly paid off! Lovely to see some spring colour!
    I'm in love with your evil eye earrings and you bear more than a passing resemblance to your 3 x great grandfather - I think it's also in the eyes.
    Very slinky Lioness dress. Guessing you will be unleashing that at one of your summer festivals? The fashion book and print were great finds.
    Blue Lights is a good watch. Interesting setting too rather than being London-centric. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen William today, I hope I haven't scared him off and it's just that his belly is too full to require a visit! I wouldn't have minded inherited 3x great grandpa's wavy hair, why did the genes stop with him?
      Once i'd spotted those earrings I couldn't forget them, I keep manically checking my lobes when I wear them in case I lose them - the perils of an expensive purchase!
      Let's hope this year's festival season is as scorchio as last years, I can't see that dress working with thermals underneath!
      Blue Lights was so good. What on earth to watch next? xxx

      Delete
  9. Those evil eye earrings are gorgeous. You are stunning in the Lioness dress. I love all your pretty skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were most certainly NOT sharing weather last weekend, it seems. We had all-day rain on Saturday and gloomy and cold weather on Sunday. Consequently our garden is still looking a mess. Unlike yours, which is a true delight. Isn't it wonderful to see all those lovely and lovingly planted perennials making their return?
    Your "Evil Eye" earrings are fabulous - and remind me of an "Evil Eye" brooch I've got lying around somewhere.
    Favourite outfit is your Levi's denim blouse with the Anokhi maxi skirt. What a stunning combo.
    Loving Lord Jon's framed print, the zig-zag flares which I can't wait to see you wearing, and the slinky velvet backless dress! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a first, we almost always share our weather, don't we? I expect it'll all go downhill with a Bank Holiday weekend on the horizon. It is exciting seeing those perennials wake up and discovering things under the blanket of fallen leaves. I'm tempted to visit a garden centre but I don't think we've seen the last of the frost yet!
      You must dig out that eye eye brooch. Those earrings burnt a hole in my retinas on the first day in Athens and I couldn't unsee them until I'd made them mine. xxx

      Delete
  11. Belated anniversary wishes my dear. You look absolutely divine in your Lioness dress. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry happy anniversary. We are in the Uk , love the art book, you are an inspiration as always love and hugs Allie jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back to the UK, Allie! It's lovely to hear from you. sending you loads of love. xxx

      Delete
  13. Mornin' Vix. Spring is definitely waking up isn't it. That salad reminds me that I have a few blocks of Feta to use up. Guess what's for lunch today ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afternoon, love! I hope you enjoyed your lunch. We've just discovered Aldi's Greek-style cheese (can't call it Feta as it's not made in Greece) and it's absolutely delicious! xxx

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are indeed a Lioness ... and you rock that gorgeous dress. I'm glad you inspired that lady to buy her skirt and made her promise to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh you're loving Daisy Jones and the Six too! I'm still up to episode 4. Need to catch up soon!

    I love the velvet dress on you and am happy to hear you were so encouraging to the 55 year old woman you were speaking to in the store. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy Jones and The Six was wonderful, especially Camilla's wardrobe! xxx

      Delete
  19. So lovely to see your garden looking so lush and blooming madly!, it makes me feel that I'd take care of my mini-balcony and make the most of it!
    Lovely skirts and lovely denim shirt too, love those sleeves!.
    Glad that you encouraged that lady to wear whatever she likes!, and glad that you acquired that beautiful velvet dress, such a cool piece!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing your mini balcony, Monica - it's always so lush and colourful. xxx

      Delete
  20. I love that you had an intervention in the shop and convinced that woman to buy and wear! the skirt. I did a similar thing when I was shopping this weekend - a woman was moaning over her stomach pooching out ever so slightly. I told her that no one would be looking at her stomach in the (very sexy) black dress! I also pointed another woman to a pair of white jeans to go with all the tunics she was looking at. I enjoy pushing others to try new things and be daring! I love that velvet dress you picked for yourself - woo!

    Your pricey eye earrings are AMAZING and worth every penny of whatever you paid. They remind me of old Schiaparelli - they've been revisiting the 20s surrealist jewelry in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes, the velvet dress is fab & you look wonderful wearing it Vix! I reakon you could pull of some flemenco dancing (as seen in Lord Jon's picture) :) I think I am all caught up now. A thoroughly enjoyable sesh. Time for another cuppa .... xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix