Friday 31 March 2023

It's My Life


What a washout the last few days have been. 


I was very brave on Tuesday morning, leaving my coat at home and walking down to the swimming baths in my Frida jacket, albeit with a weighty vintage Louis Caring maxi dress, thermals, huge velvet scarf, Nordic socks and Doc Martens underneath. 


We picked up a Lidl Waste Not box after our swim along with a few extra groceries (not too many, we had to carry them home) and so far we've eaten......veg cutlets with baked potato, sweetcorn and green beans; Greek salad; Punjabi tikka with aloo chat and vegan gyros (they were on offer in Lidl and they're absolutely delicious).


 The early morning drizzle when we left the house at 7.30am soon escalated into torrential rain so, after washing our swimming gear, I left Jon making music and took myself off and spent the rest of the day refashioning the Cath Kidston "London Bus" single duvet set I'd bought from the clearance charity shop last week into a maxi dress and matching tote. The design was only printed on one side (the reverse was red polka dots) so it took a bit of effort to match up the pattern. I think I did okay.




It was another miserably wet start to the day on Wednesday. After my workout and breakfast we drove over to one of our regular haunts for a morning of charity shopping.


Again I was brave and left the coat at home, plumping for last week's River Island balloon sleeved denim jacket over another of my Dilli Grey dresses with a vintage felted wool hat.

Picking were slim but we found a few bits....


Italian-made Jones The Bootmaker fringed suede boots; 1980s leather waistcoat; 1980s leather bag by Palio, Italy; Clarks silver leather shoes; Wooden beads; Draped jersey dress by Israeli designer Ronen Chen (still with the £195 price tag attached); West African waxed cotton co-ord; Hand-painted glass beads (I've found a near identical set listed on Etsy as "antique" & priced at £119!); 1980s leather Gladstone bag; Silk scarf; Massimo Dutti Spanish-made suede cowboy boots; 1980s Shy, London draped jacket.


After an afternoon of listings (and dodging showers to take photos), the evening was spent watching Daisy Jones & The Six, which has proved very good so far although Sam Claflin played such an amazing role in Peaky Blinders I'm finding it difficult not to unsee Oswald Moseley fronting a rock band! We also tuned into the new series of the BBC's Race Across the World, where real people have to make their way across Canada without mobile phones, a limited budget and no flights.

On Thursday, we went for an early swim and a 'Spoons breakfast.With the temperature reaching a balmy (!) 15°C I braved bare ankles and wore the Jones fringed boots I'd bought yesterday, a bargain at £1! I also snaffled the vintage glass and the wooden beads to wear with my Indian block printed smock top, Greek fisherman's cap and chazza shopped Levi's (which are a couple of sizes too big but the quality is so good I'm reluctant to part with them).


Between rain showers we managed to get a few tasks done in the garden, namely removing a clump of bamboo from the border. Word of advice, if you're ever in a garden centre, step away from the bamboo, it's evil! By the way, that's a before photo, it was p*ssing it down by the time we'd finished!


 I also managed to sort out the raised beds, harvesting the last of the onions and turning over the soil in readiness for the seedlings gradually sprouting on the windowsill.

Although he pops round daily to get his Nepeta fix, Mr William Woolberforce has now started appearing on the doorstep every morning, desperate for food (luckily we had some left from when poor Ollie used to visit). As I've mentioned before, he's an entire male (pompoms still attached) although he's very friendly and happy to be picked up and cuddled, I think he must be from the cat colony in the old windmill recently sold and under development, so he's possibly been displaced although I shall print off a paper collar HERE just to make sure he's not a pet from a careless owner. 


 On Thursday evening we went to the theatre (twice in a week, how decadent!) This time we saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel at Wolverhampton's Grand. Our tickets were a Xmas present from Liz and Al. The show starred Paul Nicholas (Just Good Friends and, of course, a pop star in the 1970s) and Tessa Peake-Jones (Raquel from Only Fools and Horses) and was absolutely brilliant. I've seen the film I don't know how many times although, with it being set in Bangalore as opposed to Rajasthan and with Dorothy from the BBC replacing Graham (the character played by Tom Wilkinson), the stage show was based on Deborah Moggach's book of the same name (and a wonderful read). It was Liz's birthday on Wednesday so, after she'd unwrapped her presents we celebrated with large glasses of red wine in The Moon Under Water, Wolverhampton's branch of Wetherspoons which conveniently, is directly opposite the theatre.
 

I wore this hand-embroidered, Barcelona-based designer dress by Nekane NKN, purchased new with tags from eBay last year along, with a car-booted tribal necklace.



Not due at the dentist till 2pm, I had a leisurely morning planned for Friday, a workout and breakfast followed by wrapping parcels, sorting out festival applications and catching up on some cleaning, so I was still in my exercise gear when the surgery called and asked if I could possibly change my appointment to 10.30am. After a mad dash I made it on time and work continued with the intricate business of replacing my cracked 24 year old veneer with a crown.


Knowing my face would be frozen for the rest of the day (a combination of anaesthetic and being in the chair for almost an hour) I posed for a photo before I got there. As Jon was dropping me off I left the jacket at home, wearing one of my vintage Indian block printed waistcoats over my All About Aud dress and last week's cowboy boots. 


One of the many advantages I've found with having a mobile phone is that I can call Jon to pick me up rather than having to walk two miles home in the pouring rain. Whilst I was waiting I took a few photos (another bonus of phone ownership!)


My dentist's surgery is in the Pleck area of Walsall, a mile and a half from the town centre and, like nearby Caldmore & Palfrey, has a large South Asian population. The Shree Ram Mandir one of several Hindu temples in the town. I'm sure you already know that the swastika is an ancient symbol of peace, appropriated by the Nazis in the 20th Century.
 

As well as sari shops and goldsmiths, the high street is choc-a-block with chai shops, sweet centres and balti houses. The tantalising smell drives you mad when your mouth's frozen!








It's been a miserably wet afternoon so I've cracked on with the tasks I'd planned on doing this morning including agonising over choosing which of the two music festivals held on the same weekend we're going to trade with. Portaloos, sequins at dawn, bare feet, live music, all day drinking, good company and 18 hour working days...bring it on!


Tomorrow is All Fool's Day and marks our Never Had a Wedding Anniversary, 31 years of unwedded bliss (yes, I know he'd get less for murder!) No doubt Lord Jon and I will be celebrating the occasion with a few cheeky rums.

See you soon!

52 comments:

  1. Oh Happy Never Had a Wedding Day to you & Jon xXx How fab is your London Bus dress!?!?! Impeccable pattern matching. It looks incredible. You did make me laugh with the intact cat pompoms comment :) :) :) Have a super weekend Vix xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu! It took an age to try and line up those buses, I can't be doing with wonky wheels! xxx

      Delete
  2. That Bus maxi is brilliant. I've got KC duvet covers with both steam trains and robots on them, and I'd already planned to recycle them into something wearable when they're no longer any good as duvets. KC used to use incredibly good cotton. (That said, they've just been bought by Next so we'll have to wait and see how things go on the quality front...)

    Oh lordy, bamboo! Any time I hear anyone say they're thinking of planting some I'm all "IN A POT. KEEP IT IN A POT." Short of keeping a panda, it's the only way to control the evil stuff.

    Not a festival, but I got tickets for the Cult gig at Cardiff Castle they announced yesterday. It's in July so I'm already planning the perfect hippie-goth look.

    I hope you and Jon have a fabulous Not-a-versary tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mim! I was very impressed with the quality of that CK duvet. I've always wanted to find something with the cowboy print, I'd love a dress in it. I'm curious as to the Next takeover although the Next Morris & Co collection isn't bad at all.
      The panda comment made me spit out my wine!
      The Cult at Cardiff will be amazing. One of my favourite of Jon's rock'n'roll stories is about the band stayingd at Ian Astbury's house in LA and his girlfriend cutting Jon's hair in the swimming pool! xxx

      Delete
  3. It seems that we've been sharing weather again. Hasn't it been absolutely miserable? And of course, being stuck in the office a whole 5-day week (eek!) there was no chance to do any garden chores whenever there was a rare sunny spell :-(
    Your Frida jacket is absolutely brilliant, as are the London bus maxi and tote bag!
    Once again, I can't get over how fab you look in jeans, although my favourite outfit must be your theatre dress with its stunning sleeves!
    What a handsome chap Mr William Woolberforce, and those paper collars are a brilliant idea. I do hope nobody's claiming him, though, it would be wonderful if Stonecroft got another resident feline! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if you were sharing our horrible weather, we usually do, don't we? Yes, at least not being in an office I can dash outside and get things done between downpours. A five day week? I think I'd be half dead!
      I like wearing jeans for a change, they make my dress wearing days feel even better. The only trouble with those sleeves is trying to fold them into a jacket!
      Mr William Woolberforce is such a beauty. If no one responds to the paper collar I'll be doing my utmost to entrap him and get those pompoms seen to, Stonecroft isn't the same without a cat! xxx

      Delete
  4. 31 years!! That is so fantastic. Congratulations. And by the looks of things, from avidly reading your blog for years, it's been a happy time xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ratnamurti! Those 31 years have flown by, they really have! xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Vix. Congratulations to you and Lord Jon for your 31st anniversary! And hope Liz had a lovely birthday. Im sure we'll read in a few weeks that Mr Woolberforce has moved in...only a matter of time! Veg box- well snaffled and food looks deeelish. Hopefully getting ours on Sunday. The weather's vile. Can remember sitting in our friends garden this time last year. Makes you want to book a flight! Bet you cant wait for the festival season. Fingers crossed for a good summer. Have you heard of Bearded Theory? Thought worth a mention. Primal Scream and Yard Act on this year , amongst others. Hear ya about the bamboo! Louise (Midlands) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Louise! I hope you managed to get a decent veg box from Lidl yesterday. It would be lovely to have a cat around the house again. He's not been yet this morning but must have polished off eight sachets of cat food over the weekend so he's probably still full.
      It is taking a while to warm up this year. I was bare-legged in March last year and walking down o the baths in a dress and trainers.
      I'd love to trade at Bearded Theory and yet again missed the deadline for applications - arghh! Lots of our friends trade there and love it. I love Yard Act (they've shopped with us!) and don't know how many times we've seen Primal Scream over the year, they're amazing! xxx

      Delete
  6. We have bamboo at the back of our garden.... it provides a barrier against thw brambles and bindweed from the railway bank. It was there when we bought it.
    Intact Pompoms- snigger!
    I did know that about the Swastika as lots of temples in Hindu island Bali are covered in them and a lot of Balinese people have Swastika in their name!
    Love your Cath Bus dress. I have their barkcloth skirt from the same range.
    Your theatre outfit was pure joy!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AS long as that bamboo stays at the bottom of the garden you're fine. It's when it starts creeping into the borders and swamping everything else - like it has done here!
      There's some beautiful Hindu temples in Bali, it's been 24 years since we were there. I'd love to go back one day. We've been in India and seen Western tourists having an absolute fit over swastikas on temples and etched onto houses, it beggars belief that people travel halfway across the world and do absolutely no research whatsoever.
      I love the Cath cowboy print, I've love a dress in that one! xxx

      Delete
  7. I'm loving the bus print dress and bags. If not keeping for yourself, people will be rumbling in your stall to buy them at the festivals. It feels a bit normal to read and comment on your post. I've missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to read a comment from you, Sam! That dress will be adorning my mannequin at Glastonbury - or I might wear it to lure them in! xxx

      Delete
  8. Ooooooh - your Frida emboidery is charming, Vix! I have a laundry basket full of projects and mends - so impressed by your industriousness (is that a word? - it is now lol). - I'm so ready for summer dresses - your Nekane dress is amazing and I love seeing your Dilli Greys. Are you going to put the blue lotus print silk scarf (in the swag pix) in the Kinky Shop? I hope so - it looks fab.
    Happy 31 years of Unwedded Bliss for tomorrow. - I know we're 40+ Fully-Licensed - you're right - it goes super-fast.
    William is such a handsome fellow - I do hope he comes to stay - I love a black cat.
    We've got a local Cha Cha Chai! And a Hindu temple - Shree Swaminarayan Mandir!
    Also - How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29644591

    Having a dreadful week - so thank you for the uplift xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine! Sorry to hear about your week, here's to this one being much better. Thanks so much, I'm delighted that it's a recognisable Frida, with my talent for drawing I thought she might be mistaken for Betty Boop or Wilma Flintstone.
      That scarf can be yours - if you're reading this email me, I can't find your address!
      Cha Cha Chai is excellent (and a great name). Love the Swastika link, too - bloody Hitler. Loads of love xxx

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary for tomorrow :) Ref Race Across the World, we were short listed for a series the year before Covid - we left it too late to apply for the current series but will do so next time - wouldn't it be wonderful to do it? I can see you and Jon going for this too :) Your outfits are all fabulous as always - I think William is yours, a day will come soon when he comes in and doesn't want to leave :) Must be hard to plan and envisage stock for festivals with this crap weather, I expect you have a large stock of ex Glastonbury wellies already but maybe this is the year they sell like hotcakes and nobody leaves any behind!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. the Frida embroidery is fun, I can't sew like that and you did it all from your head - very creative :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Betty! It's funny, I was talking about how you got shortlisted for Race Across The World with Jon when we were watching it on Wednesday night. It'd be an absolute car crash if we took part, we might be good at roughing it but we're absolutely useless at reading maps and would probably end up lost in the wilderness mauled to death by bears!
      William seems to think we're his, he's been around all weekend but is rather skittish indoors and prefers eating on the doorstep (so uncouth!)
      We've not gathered any Glasto wellies for years - as traders we don't camp anywhere near the car park where all the wellies were abandoned! xxx

      Delete
  10. Many congratulations on your unwedded bliss. The years roll by very quickly when you're in a happy relationship. Are you hoping to adopt WW if he's homehunting. It looks like he's chosen you already and as we know felines are very fussy about their humans!! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, they sure do, I'm staggered that it's been so long!
      If WW wants to stay he's more than welcome. He's a beauty - if a little on the shouty side! xxx

      Delete
  11. Celebrate your special day in style love. That duvet dress would be perfect for the Coronation celebration wouldn't it. Blimmin miserable weather here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! We spent it getting grubby in the garden - happy days! xxx

      Delete
  12. Hello vix your pickings Wednesday might have been few and far between but there was some really nice things there love the dress you wore to the theatre,we love across the world too it's nice to see something that involves normal people instead of all the so called celebrity programs , Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen! Thanks very much, hope all's good with you! Like you, we love seeing "normal" people on Race Across the World, none of these free-loading celebsthrowing tantrums! xxx

      Delete
  13. Happy never -had a- wedding anniversary, guys! We celebrate 33 years together in early May, we have never bothered to get wed. I was married before and have never been so unhappy. Current partner is still my favourite person in the world, so I feel lucky.
    I love the grey dress so much, it's so gorgeous, you look stunning in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole! I'm so pleased that you found happiness after a false start. We never felt the need to get married, we'r're just happy in each other';s company and that's really all that matters, isn't it?
      That dress appeared as one of those annoying pop-up ads on MSN, I couldn't believe it when I found one in my size on eBay! xx

      Delete
  14. Forgot to say Happy Notiversary! Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 'Never Had a Wedding Anniversary', 31 years of happily unmarried bliss is quite an achievement. I love the London Bus dress and matching tote, and can just see you at the doorway of the Kinky Melons tent at the next festival modelling it ... and then selling it for a small fortune the next day. Enjoy the rums. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! I can't believe we've spent over half our lives together 9and known each other since we were 6!) Utter madness!
      I always make a dress to put on my mannequin at Glasto but I might swan around in it before we open the shop front to try and tempt a prospective punter! xxx

      Delete
  16. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel stage show sounds good! I've watched the film a couple of times and it's a good watch.

    Happy Never-Had-A-Wedding Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ace, Nikki! try and catch the stage show if you can! Thanks for the anniversary wishes! xxx

      Delete
  17. Happy Never Had A Wedding Day.
    I took mum to seeThe Best Exotic Marigold at The Lowry in Manchester before Christmas. Paul NIcholas was in it with Rula Lenska. It was fabulous.
    Loving catching up with your days.
    I wish I lived near your charity shop, it sounds amazing.
    Cheers - enjoy your rum. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! Was Rula Lenska Madge? Belinda Lang played her in our show (she was the lead in 2.4 Children, that BBC comedy from the 1980s) and was so funny! xxx

      Delete
  18. Congratulations Vix and Lord John on Your 31 Years of Unwedded Bliss Anniversary - and Wishing you both many more xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your not a wedding anniversary! We'll be 25 years in May.

    Wonderful outfits; I really like the balloon sleeved denim jacket; it's so very 'you'. Loved your chazza finds too - if that's slim pickings you'd hate to see mine.

    How fab to go to the theatre twice in one week; I agree the Deborah Moggach book was brilliant and I read it only recently.

    I remember the frozen face after the dentist! Luckily I haven't needed anything done for a good few years but it's horrible. You feel as if you're dribbling even when you're not!

    Just seen the weather forecast for England and it's looking good - enjoy...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! 25 years is quite the achievement, too!
      That balloon sleeve jacket looked so weird on the hanger in the charity shop, I knew it would be a winner once on!
      I never get tired of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel when it's on TV and yes, the book's wonderful, isn't it? The stage show is magical if it tours near you, we loved it - especially the bhangra dancing at the end.
      My lovely NHS dentist is planning on retiring at the end of the year and wants to leave knowing that all his patients' teeth are absolutely perfect. The poor chap's run off his feet! xxx

      Delete
  20. Forgot to say how fab is the Frida jacket and the bus dress and tote. I can see you wearing the dress at a festival...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry that was me. Veronica!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Expert work on the London Bus dress!
    I also spotted those fringed boots in your chazza haul and am not surprised you gave them an outing!
    It looks like you had a great night out with Liz - love the dress! Fancy seeing Raquel from Only Fools and Horses too!
    Mr William Woolberforce looks like a real chatterbox! Maybe it's those pompoms! :-D
    I read Daisy Jones & The Six, but didn't really feel it lived up to the hype. I also watched the series, which I enjoyed predominantly for the fashion, although Elvis's granddaughter can sing! I'm glad you pointed out Billy's true identity. I'd forgotten the actor's name and kept thinking he reminded me of someone. Quite a departure for him!
    Right, I'm off to seek out some of those vegan gyros. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping you had a fabulous anniversary! xxx

      Delete
    2. Hello Claire! That bus duvet was crying out to be made into a maxi dress - I use that pattern every time I find a novelty duvet cover (Barbie, Scooby Doo, Thomas the Tank Engine, Mr Men and Paddington have all guest starred on my Glastonbury shop mannequin over the years!)
      Raquel played the Judi dench part - she was fab.
      Mr Woolberforce never stops chatting, we did a duet of William, It was Really Nothing by The Smiths earlier today.
      I loved Daisy Jones, I had no idea that Riley was Elvis's granddaughter but now you've mentioned it I can see a likeness. I loved Camila's wardrobe the most - mind you, she'd have looked good in a bin bag!
      I hope you track down those gyros, they are absolutely delicious! xxx

      Delete
  23. Happy Anniversary, dear Vix and Jon!, it was our 30th Anniversary a few days ago. We've not changed our attitude when we married 'recently' (because of the free days and other benefits, so romantic!). Obviously we didn't care about any ceremony and spent...a few cents to have the documents photocopied, that was Our Fab Wedding!
    But let's talk on clothes!, I love that maxi you made of a duvet, such an amazing print!, well done. And it's lovely to see you looking so fabulous in your block printed dresses and fedoras and all the beautiful clothes!.
    Mr.W.W. is a handsome boy, hope he keeps visiting you!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many beautiful outfits! I love the purple dress, the jeans combo and the maxi with statement sleeves is just wow.
    Happy anniversary and all the best!!!!!
    P.S. That 2 pound print is a bargain. It has a lovely frame as well. I typically pay around 50- 100 euros to have my paintings framed. Frames are expensive!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix