Thursday 3 November 2022

November!

It's November and traditionally the month Lord Jon packs away his shorts but on the first day of the month it was still warm enough to wear them, hooray! The Superdry quilted cotton jacket and Fatface denim blue cotton-knit hoodie are the latest charity-shopped additions to his wardrobe.

Nothing new to see here. I bought my 1960s Dollyrockers gauzy cotton maxi dress from Walsall's legendary vintage shop, Second to None, back in 2009 when I was with my friend Cheryl to whom my vintage suede jacket used to belong.

 


Off out for a morning of charity shopping we popped to Lidl and picked up a £1.50 Waste Not box....


It contained two bags of spinach, two nets of brown and red onions, two big red peppers, two packs of asparagus tips, an aubergine and a punnet of plums.


The mushrooms and strawberries (grown a mile up the road in Staffordshire!) were 20p a pack. Jon also found two punnets of organic vine-ripened cherry tomatoes reduced to half price when he nipped into Morrisons for some rum.


Then it was off to the charity shops where we found: Patrick (Sewing Bee) Grant's "Hammond & Co" cotton chores jacket; Karen Millen wool & Alpaca sleeveless cardi; a reversible Indian kantha jacket (sold to a dear friend); a 1980s Americana shirt by Relay; a FILA all-wool golf tank top; a Remus Uomo merino wool waistcoat and a 1980s embroidered cotton hippy kaftan.


Zara wool blend tank top; Adidas three stripe top (now in Jon's wardrobe); 1980s Barretts western boots; 1980s DAKS all-wool hand-finished blazer; white denim jumpsuit; 1980s African safari shirt and a sequinned bomber jacket.


I'd spotted this striped polo neck jumper by pricey Danish label, Part Two, a fortnight ago and was pleased to see that it was still on the rails. 


We've binge-watched the BBC's SAS - Rogue Heroes, based on the book of the same name by Ben Macintyre and adapted for the TV by the godlike genius that is Steven "Peaky Blinders" Knight who, not only shares his 5th August birthday with Jon but also went to school in Walsall.

 
SAS Rogue Heroes is all the more exciting as Jon's late father, Alfred (Fred), served a commando in WWII's North Africa Campaign, from whom the SAS were recruited. The series brings to life the numerous wartime albums which Jon inherited. These are just a few of his amazing photos.


When I got up in the darkness on Wednesday morning I assumed that Jon hadn't got around to adjusting the timers for the lights in line with the clock change. Half an hour later I realised it had only just turned 5am and I was an hour earlier than usual! I used my extra time wisely and worked on next year's Glastonbury application, submitting it four days before the deadline - it's such a long, detailed (and scary) process I'd been putting it off for weeks. 


After temperatures in the high teens last week, there was a distinct Autumnal chill in the air and the perfect excuse to snip off the labels and wear the Part Two cotton polo neck I'd bought the previous day. I added my Dilli Grey Dakota needlecord maxi skirt (new, retail), a vintage felted wool hat (charity shop, 2015), a pendant that Mum used to wear in the 1970s and this 1990s burgundy curly lamb and suede jacket I'd forgotten I owned.


After Paul's generous offer of a lift to Handsworth last week (HERE) and the amazing boots Gisella had found for me (HERE) my jacket is another example of the kindness of others. A lady who told me that she'd often admired my style from afar gave me the jacket at last year's End of the Road festival. If that wasn't lovely enough I was wearing it later that day and a customer noticed that the pocket was torn, she told me that she was a master saddler and insisted on mending it for me. Don't write off humanity just yet, my world is full of fantastic humans!


The jacket is made in France and labelled Galleries Lafayette....the iconic department store in Paris (which I wrote about HERE)....oh la la! Lord Jon and I visited when I won a holiday to Paris back in the 1990s and almost wet ourselves laughing at the pampered pet department where they sold baseball caps for cats!


Our plans for the day were postponed due to the high winds and torrential rain so it was another morning of charity shopping. We don't usually go on a Wednesday, we're clearly missing a trick. There's loads more but I'm still washing it! Finds included some Feud, London platform clogs, a William Morris X H&M Snakeshead pleated midi skirt, a vintage '70s lurex maxi dress, a vintage 1970s dagger collar midi dress, a 1960s Crimplene trouser suit, a denim sherpa jacket, a 1980s Crusader cricket jumper and a 1970s puffed sleeve mac which, I think was originally St Michael (my Mum had one) but the labels have been removed . 


There's also a vintage 1970s needlecord jacket by celebrated Scottish designer Marion Donaldson (who hand-finished all her designs), an organic cotton "Maribel" tunic by cool Scandi label Gudrun Sjödén, Son of Wild cotton canvas shirt, American-made tie-dyed wolf and full moon tee shirt, Peruvian Collection pima cotton A Line dress (the second garment by this high-end, fair trade label in less than a week!), Urban Outfitters puffer jacket and an amazing embroidered cowboy shirt by Scully.


It's been a few years since I last found a Jean Varon dress in a charity shop. Probably best known for designing Diana Rigg's leather catsuit when she played Emma Peel in the 1960s TV series, The Avengers, John Bates founded the label in 1959 using the name Jean Varon to add a little continental cachet . Never receiving the recognition he deserved, Jean Varon was declared bankrupt in 1980 although the label continued for a couple more years under the administration of Tom Bowker. 


This satin acetate cocktail dress dates from that period, is made in England (like all his clothes were) and is in perfect condition. I've found a couple online - both for sale by American vintage sellers, the least expensive is priced at £366. I love the saloon girl vibe, if I haven't sold it by next year I might have to borrow it for the festival season.


Having finished SAS Rogue Heroes on Wednesday night we got stuck into Entrapped, the sequel to the Icelandic cop series, Trapped. We're already gripped.


I've just started my 69th book of the year. A friend and I are going to an Audience with Philippa Gregory at the theatre next week so I need to do my homework. It's the 14th book of hers I've read with 20 more to go (excluding her children's books). I'm always on the lookout in charity shops but I really need to write down the ones I'm looking for, I've started buying the books I've already read.


On Thursday morning we went for our second swim of the week. That's me in my sexy long hair swimming cap after finishing my forty lengths and in joyful anticipation for my 'Spoons breakfast. My friend Sam asked if we were planning to continue swimming through the winter...you bet! Since we returned to our regular swims in April this year I've never felt fitter or more confident. I just hope the council can afford to keep the Gala Baths going, over sixty pools have closed since the start of the UK's cost of living crisis.  


Walking back with a bellyful of Mushrooms Benedict (me) and Eggs Benedict (Jon), we bumped into a girl who, despite living in the next street, we only ever see when we're at Glastonbury. Last time we saw her we were clutching cans of gin and dancing to the Pet Shop Boys. Having submitted our trader application the day before I'm hoping it's a sign that we're going back next year.


I posed for a photo on the way home. The former Duke of Wellington pub opened its doors to drinkers in 1861 but stopped trading a couple of decades ago has since been redeveloped into flats - property developers take note, it is possible to convert beautiful old buildings rather than flatten them and replace them with concrete breeze blocks!


I'm wearing the 1950s suede coat I scored for £3 in the clearance chazza a few weeks ago over a block printed Anokhi midi dress bought from their Chowpatti Beach branch in Mumbai back in February 2020. The Jones The Bootmaker tan leather riding boots (clearance chazza) are a bit leaky but it's nigh-on impossible to find boots to fit my skinny calves so they're staying!

Like every day this week, I've spent the afternoon photographing and listing on eBay leaving Jon to crack on with tea.


So what has he done with the contents of our Waste Not box? The plums were combined with some raspberries from our garden and made into an oat crumble; the strawberries eaten for breakfast with Greek yoghurt; half the spinach, a couple of red onions and some of the (roasted) cherry tomatoes topped a flat bread which Jon served with the asparagus and some chilli infused home-grown potatoes; the aubergine was griddled and accompanied by a salad which contained some of the spinach, onions, & tomatoes and the mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers and onions were oven-roasted with some haloumi and more of our crop of potatoes. 


I'm with you, Thomas! I may have been born in December but I'll always be hopelessly devoted to the Summer . Fingers crossed we get the dry, sunny day we've been promised, we're off out National Trusting tomorrow.

See you soon!

34 comments:

  1. Wow, those Scully cowboy shirts are pricey. I had to get a bunch for a show a few years ago and was shocked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I was amazed at the prices they fetch on eBay, lovely things though! x

      Delete
  2. I have known that poem since I was a little girl! How lovely to see it again.

    What a bounty of goodies you've been finding lately, Vix! I have a couple of things by Part Two, and you def scored on that fab jumper! A special shout out to your gorgeous suede coats - and how kind those strangers were to give you the coat and then repair it. Love your bathing suit!

    Hoping you get good weather - we're getting another "atmospheric river" here, oh joy. Happy weekend - drink all the rum, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that poem as a little girl, too!
      Despite the financial crisis, it seems as if people are getting rid of more stuff than ever. I was surprised that jumper was still there, maybe people say the £39.99 tag and thought that was how much the charity shop had priced it at!
      I hope the atmospheric river doesn't cause too much havoc, I think things here at set to go downhill again after today! xxx

      Delete
  3. Hi vix, I have never heard that poem. Kinda moody really. I always forget the clocks go back for you guys. That’s one thing I certainly do not miss now!! My poor mum suffers from SAD and like you she is a summer girl. I’m a spring and autumn girl. I love the blooms starting to bud and the changing leaves.
    The weather here is starting to get a bit chilly at least thyphoon season is over for another year!! Just the odd tremor but we learn to live with them. I have never thought about swimming I don’t know we’re the local pool is. I know the kids have a pool at their school.
    But I’m Japan everyone is so slim except me and the other westerners. You do get the odd overweight Japanese. But I don’t see many.
    I wish the Japanese would restore old buildings instead of knocking them down. That’s why we bought the ramen house as a home. I didn’t want to see it knocked down . And I’m glad really as I love it. I would like to move though. But Paul wants to wait. Love and hugs Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Allie! I loved that poem when I was a little girl, I'd always insist mum would read it to me and join in with the "No"!
      SAD is horrible, it's so easy to get down at this time of year, I try and plan something every day even when there monsoon-like rain rather be indoors and moping.
      Thank goodness your typhoon season is over. You ought to find out if there's a swimming pool nearby, I love ours although I'm starting to get to know so many people that it takes me an absolute age to get changed as everyone wants to chat.
      I wonder if it's the Japanese diet that keeps them slim or whether its all in the genes? When we first went to India we'd rarely see large people but now there's McDonalds, Domino's Pizza and Coca Cola, there seems to be as many plus sized people as there are in the UK.
      I love the sound of your Ramen House, I hate to see social history being destroyed. xxx

      Delete
  4. Look at you gorgeous twosome. I am seldom out if jeans and a sweatshirt or tshirt, and hour beautiful stylish outfits maje me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I love Autumn. I agree, the early dark nights can be a bit difficult to adapt to, but days like today where the low sun is streaming through the window, I think those are perfect days. It's funny how everyone prefers something different, most people that I know do prefer the summer. I love how you and Jon both have such a good knowledge of your heritage, like with the photographs of Jon's father. It must be great to be able to watch or read something, and make that family connection. I'm always amazed by your charity shop findings, and your Lidl box contents. Granted, I've not been charity shopping for a while, but the Lidl boxes near me always seem to have a few potatoes that have gone to seed and a withered up carrot! Have a fabulous weekend Vix, I'll look forward to reading about your adventures next week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise! Days like today do make me see how beautiful Autumn can be - brilliantly bright and sunny and refreshingly crisp but most of the time it's all so gloomy and damp.
      Jon's dad's photo albums are such a joy to leaf through with all the places he was based clearly marked out. I'm so glad our families weren't into all this minimalist nonsense and enjoyed hanging on to stuff!
      The chazzas have been really good to us this week and so has Lidl! We've just popped in for a couple of things and snaffled the penultimate Waste Not box - so they still have them in the afternoon if you're lucky! xxx

      Delete
  6. Fab charity shop finds!
    I love seeing Jon's Dad's photos. Every time I see that mirror selfie, I can't get over how alike they are.
    I saw the news item on public swimming pools. I hope they stay open, or it might be the arboretum lake for you pair!
    So lovely to see a characterful old pub transformed into apartments. More of that please! Oh and you look gorgeous in that green suede coat and Anokhi dress. xxx
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, not the Arbo lake! I might be forced to book a holiday if it comes to that!
      Jon and his Dad are so alike, aren't they? I wonder what he'd have made of SAS Rogue Heroes, by the look of Fred's photos it looked like Steven Knight had captured the camaraderie perfectly.
      What a shame that the powers that be can't do the same with the wonderful Art College in Bilstonia! xxx

      Delete
  7. Thomas Hood wants his hands smacking, everything he says NO to there has been a plenty over the course of the first few days of November ... even lots of sunshine, even if it was weirdly interspersed with April-like showers! Well maybe one thing, I haven't seen a butterfly. I love that Gudrun Sjödén tunic, I have a few of their dresses, they are such good quality.

    Fingers crossed you get your Glastonbury pitch again for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you've had a much better week weather-wise than us, despite Jon's shorts it's rained incessantly and has been so dark we've needed the lights on all day. Today's more than made up for it, though!
      I love looking at the Gudrun Sjödén website, the way they put the clothes together is absolute magic! xxx

      Delete
  8. I was going to say that it seems bit early for Glasto applications, but with all the organising they have to do, it's probably not really.
    I saw the SAS Heroes advertised but wasn't immediately drawn in, but if you're enjoying it I will give it a go 🙂
    I adore both your coats. It's even more important to dress colourfully and stylishly in Autumn and Winter - we need to keep our spirits up somehow! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to get the Glasto application finished and sent off. I've been putting it off for weeks, it's so involved it's like sitting an exam!
      We absolutely loved SAS Rogue Heroes, Steven Knight can do no wrong. I love Ben Macintyre, too - he wrote Operation Mincemeat which was a brilliant film.
      You're right about making more of an effort in dressing at this time of year, it's too easy to retreat into black! xxx

      Delete
  9. It was good to see Jon's dishy dad again!

    Lovely outfits as always; the last suede coat/jacket is so cool! I loved the needlecord skirt and striped polo outfit in particular; proper autumnal clothes! Jon reminds of some of the male member of my walking group who wear shorts almost all the time - never mind the cold what about the brambles, briars and nettles? And of course the ticks...

    You seem to have had a bumper crop of wonderful chazza finds - those platform blogs caught my eye. If only I could wear heels. Good luck with your Glastonbury application.

    I've actually read that Phillippa Gregory book and enjoyed it and I've also watched 'Entrapped'. The woman who plays the police officer in it is also in a series called 'The Sisterhood' which is well worth a watch. We're loving 'Ivalo - Artic Circle' btw. Last 2 episodes are being watched tonight.

    Do you know I've never seen another 1.50 veg box in our Lidl since the one and only time I managed to buy one! Clearly very popular!

    I'm so worried about our local baths not being to remain open for much longer. The company the bloody council contracted the management of it, out to, is struggling financially. It doesn't bode well.

    Hope you have a fab weekend,
    xxx
    PS - Totally agree with about the kindness of humankind. It never fails to make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vronni! Fred would have given the cast of SAS Rogue Heroes a run for their money, he looked like a proper film star, didn't he?
      Jon wore jeans today but I think the shorts will be back out very soon. He reckons they're the easiest option for putting on after he's been swimming even if he does look like a bit of a nutter when there's frost on the ground.
      I'm enjoying that Philippa Gregory book, a change for the murderous Tudors and the Wars of the Roses. I hope you loved Arctic Circle as much as we did. We've got one episode left of Entrapped so we'll seek out The Sisterhood next, thanks for that!
      We popped into Lidl on the way back from our NT visit at just after 2pm today and there were still two Waste Not boxes left, they can't be all that popular in Walsall. I've got pears, apples, yet more onions, sliced mushrooms, Kenya beans, two bunches of bananas and a huge cabbage to get creative with!
      Oh no, I hope your baths stay open. Ours are still run by the council but if yours is run by that company featured on BBC Breakfast this week it's not looking good.
      Have a fab weekend! xxx

      Delete
  10. I think you must have sent your rain our way, as after a string of gorgeously sunny and warm days I was stuck in torrential rain during yesterday's commute (typical!)/
    In spite of you being hopelessly devoted to Summer, I bet you were glad to wear your gorgeous Dilli Grey cord maxi skirt again. It looks absolutely fab with the Part Two polo neck and fantastic burgundy suede jacket. How lovely of that lady to give it to you and how kind of your customer to offer to mend it. People can be so nice which can is life-affirming, especially in these times.
    Great finds, as always, and imagine finding that Jean Varon dress. I'd love to see you in it but I guess chances are slim you haven't sold it by then!
    Oh, and I love the poem, which sums up November perfectly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a day's respite we've got the rain back again today! How people call this washout their favourite time of year is beyond me.
      On the bright side it is good to get the Dilli Grey skirt back into circulation again and I much prefer the jumper rails in the charity shops to the limp over-washed tee shirts and wonky seamed vests!
      People are - on the whole - pretty damned fabulous, aren't they?
      I did try that Jean Varon over my stripey polo neck and 20 hole Doc Martens and rather like the look!
      I've never been a huge poetry fan but have loved Nonmember since I was a child! xxx

      Delete
  11. Hope you've had a good day N.Trusting.I have a bit of a love /hate relationship with November and February. That said it's been glorious here today and for the first time in ages I had time to drop into a charity shop. For once they actually had some clothes I liked so I went wild with a tenner and treated myself!! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Great score in the charity shop, they're often good the week after the school holidays, I suppose those stuck at home childminding have time to have a good sort out.
      Yesterday was one of those glorious, life-affirming Autumn days cold but bright and sunny. It's back to the infernal gloom again today. xxx

      Delete
  12. I love the suede coats with the maxi dresses and skirts - it's such a fun combination! And I particularly like how much kindness is associated with that coat you wore with the navy skirt and striped top. Amazed at the good luck you had opshopping too!

    Hope you're having a great start to your weekend.

    www.awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mica! I'm a little obsessed with suede coats, the scruffier and more worn the better! Have a lovely weekend, too. xxx

      Delete
  13. I am also with Thomas. That just about sums up how I've been feeling about things this week. Thank goodness you bring a ray of sunshine with every post, Vix. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Jules. It takes some effort to remain cheerful with this incessant gloom and rain, doesn't it? xxx

      Delete
  14. Lord Jon is wearing the official Midwestern USA uniform of a hoodie, jacket, and shorts. He'd fit right in. Maybe throw on that wolf tee shirt too. Locals adore that stuff.
    There are still a few decent people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he'd be thrilled about that...not! xxx

      Delete
  15. The burgundy jacket with the berry coloured trim is gorgeous! I do love to hear about kind people (other than my lovely kind friends who I know exist), helps me feel better about the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was thrilled when she gave it to me, I really should wear it more! xxx

      Delete
  16. blogger hasn't been allowing my comments to publish, hope.this one works, lovely to.see your.outfits and I love the old.pub made into apartments tastefully. I'm with you.on the swimming although I.have yet.to find a cap.that doesn't leak! Betty (wood fairy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see your comment! Thanks for preserving, Betty! Blogger is acting up, it's even lost the replies I made on my own blog! Swimming rocks - I'm off in a bit. I'm tempted with one of the long hair rubber caps but I'm scared of scalping myself! xxx

      Delete
  17. Lovely outfits, particularly in love with your new striped top and how nicely works with the cord skirt and that amazing suede coat. Even your hat matches!.
    Looking fab!
    I'm amazed that those 'waste not' boxes are so well assorted and unexpensive!, well done on making the most of them!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica! I was happy that striped polo was still there, I'd regretted not buying it for a fortnight! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix