Friday 28 October 2022

More Tales From the City - Handsworth Revolution


On Wednesday I caught the train to Birmingham and met up with Nikki. At New Street Station I bumped into an old friend I'd not seen in over a quarter of a century - so long ago that he'd forgotten my name. He admired our outfits and asked if we were off to a Country and Western event - it's not the first time we've been complimented on our cowgirl chic but there's about as much chance of us attending anything remotely country as there is hell freezing over. 


After catching up over a chamomile tea in hipster cafe, Medicine, we started walking to Handsworth, two and half miles away from the city centre.

Vanley Burke, Handsworth (1981) SOURCE

During the Second World War, many West Indians arrived as part of the colonial war effort, where they worked in Birmingham's munitions factories. In the post-war period, the city's rebuilding programme significantly increased the demand for both skilled and unskilled workers and lead to the direct recruitment of workers from the Caribbean with Handsworth becoming a centre for Birmingham's Afro-Caribbean community. Handsworth produced many successful musical acts including Joan Armatrading, Apache Indian, Ruby Turner, Benjamin Zephaniah and Steel Pulse who named their first album, Handsworth RevolutionHowever, to many, Handsworth will always remain synonymous with the riots of 1981.


As always, we found plenty of interesting stuff to get distracted by.












On the outskirts of Hockley, home to Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, a couple of older ladies stopped us and asked if we knew the area. It turned out that we were all heading the same way so we invited them to follow us. Shortly afterwards a Rastafarian gent pulled up in a smart motor and asked if we were lost. When we told him where we were going he invited us to hop in and he'd drive us the remaining mile and a half as he lived in Handsworth and was on his way home. I think our new friends were a bit taken aback when we accepted his kind offer but we soon persuaded them to join us. 
Paul, if you're reading this, thank you!! 


Soho House was the home of the industrialist and entrepreneur Matthew Boulton from 1766 to 1809. If you're not familiar with this Birmingham icon, you might know him and his partner, James Watt, from the back of the £50 note (withdrawn from circulation earlier this year).


Matthew Boulton acquired the lease on the 5-year old mill in 1761 developing it into the Soho Manufactory, which produced buttons & buckles as well as clocks, vases and small pieces of furniture made in silver and Ormolu, fashionable with wealthy Georgian society. Boulton expanded the cottage next to the manufactory, naming it Soho House and moved in with his family, furnishing it with the items made in his factory and inviting potential customers to look at his products in situ, rather like a modern day show home.


Soho House became the favourite meeting place of the Lunar Society, the leading Enlightenment group. The Society would meet every month on the night of the full moon to dine, conduct experiments, and discuss philosophical matters of the day. Members of the society included Erasmus Darwin, James Watt, Josiah Wedgwood and Joseph Priestly who all gathered around the Lunar Room table and engaged in a lively exchange of ideas which inspired many new discoveries and inventions. It is here that Boulton formed a partnership with Watt, improving on the steam engine he'd invented in 1772 and making it economically viable.




Matthew Boulton was responsible for founding the Soho Mint, seeking to improve the poor state of Britain's coinage, obtaining a contract in 1797 to produce the country's first copper coinage in over a quarter of a century. His large copper penny remained in circulation until decimalisation in 1971. He also successfully lobbied parliament for assay offices to be set up outside of London, rewarded by the Hallmarking Act of 1773. Birmingham silver can be identified by the mark of an anchor, widely believed to be the symbol chosen by Boulton as he was drinking in the city's Crown and Anchor pub at the time.

Matthew Boulton (3 September 1728 – 17 August 1809)

In the 1770s Boulton introduced an insurance system for his workers that served as the model for later schemes, allowing his workers compensation in the event of injury or illness. The first of its kind in any large establishment, employees paid one-sixtieth of their wages into the Soho Friendly Society, membership in which was mandatory.The firm's apprentices were poor or orphaned boys, trainable into skilled workmen; he declined to hire the sons of gentlemen as apprentices, stating that they would be "out of place" among the poorer boys.


Our visit to Soho House was purely to see a photography exhibition in the visitor centre but while we were taking photos outside, the ladies we'd arrived with asked if we'd be interested in seeing the interior of the property. There wasn't a scheduled tour until the afternoon but as there were four of us, the young historian on-site had offered us a private viewing. 


Matthew Boulton wasn't hugely wealthy so employed some clever tricks to give his visitors an impression of affluence. The exterior of the house was brick-built but skimmed with paint mixed with sand to look like sandstone, the "marble" columns were made from alabaster imported from Derbyshire and the encaustic tiled floor was actually cloth that had been painted and varnished.





Famous visitors to Soho House included US president, Thomas Jefferson and Admiral Lord Nelson.




These codestone sphinxes once stood in the grounds of Soho House back in the days of it being part of a hundred-acre estate. 


After the tour we made our way to the on-site visitor centre for the exhibition we'd travelled to Soho House to see. Godfather of black British photography, Jamaica-born Vanley Burke, developed a passion for photography after receiving a Kodak Brownie as a parting gift from his mother before she left for the UK. In 1965, at the age of 14, he joined his parents in Birmingham and opened his first photography studio in Handsworth a few years later.


In his exhibition, Blood and Fire, Vanley Burke's images join archival material from his personal collection. The exhibition focuses on his journey to illustrate a wider, connected history of Black British experiences using the communities of Birmingham as a lens. Burke has focused on re-examining his personal collection after he lost a number of archival materials to a house fire. The fire served as a turning point for his practice and this exhibition questions what it means to put these objects into a curatorial and historical context, gathering the past to pave the way for the future.



The exhibition is part of the Birmingham 2022 Festival and is supported by Arts Council England and The National Lottery Heritage Fund. It closes on 30th October, 2022.

Image by Vanley Burke

Image by Vanley Burke SOURCE

Image by Vanley Burke SOURCE



Image by Vanley Burke SOURCE

Image by Vanley Burke SOURCE

With no kind gentlemen offering to drive us back into the city centre, we hopped on the number 74, in the shadow of the Soho Road gurdwara.


A be-tracksuited young bloke followed us off the bus, saying that he'd overheard us mentioning going to Livery Street and, as he lived there, did we want to go back to his flat and hang out. We politely declined. Who says you're invisible after 50? 



Rather than party with a stranger, we popped into the Indian Brewery for Chaart Attack (vegetable samosa topped with spiced chickpeas) and a pint of Birmingham-brewed IPA and were welcomed like old friends by the staff.




Declining a second pint we made our way back to New Street Station to catch our respective trains home narrowly avoiding commuter hell.

Thanks for a fab day, Nikki! See you soon. 


52 comments:

  1. Hello Vix, what a treat of a post. Wonderful buildings in Handsworth. I greatly enjoyed the tour, Vanley Burke's photography and of course the music! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu! Steel Pulse are ace, aren't they? we saw them at The Big Chill festival back in the noughties, we danced so much we didn't even notice it was peeing it down! xxx

      Delete
  2. Thank you once more for a great and beautifully written journey.Lived there for ten years and loved the one about the Bilston Trifle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Louise! There's so much to see and do in the Midlands and the people are the best. We never go anywhere without making new friends. xxx

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous day out. Sometimes your days out make me want to travel back to the Midlands to visit places I've missed out on. I really should get around to showing Miss D her heritage :) I didn't know Apache Indian was from Birmingham. I still put Boom-Shack-a-lack high up there as one of my favourite party songs. Soho house looks amazing, and wouldn't it have been fabulous to be part of that enlightened group of individuals discussing science and philosophy? Far better than an evening spent in front of the TV. Have a great weekend Vix. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Midlands is fab (but I am biased!)
      Apache Indian is brilliant and an all-round lovely bloke. He set up the Apache Indian Music Academy(A.I.M) in Handsworth years ago and does so much for the community. I was thrilled to see him performing in the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony.
      I'd have loved to have sat around that table with the Lunar Society although I'd probably have ended up under it, the guide was telling us that in a year Soho House got through 371 bottles of port alone! xxx

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous day out! I really must go to the Indian Brewery next time I'm up in Brum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely brilliant. I'm going to drag Jon along soon, I reckon he'll love the masala spiced fish and chips even more than the traditional Spoons ones! xxx

      Delete
  5. What a fun and informative day you two had. And ending in a nice compliment that someone offered to hang out. It always surprises me when people take the offer with a stranger like that. We use to be open to that in the 70's, hitchhiking all over town and partying with who ever picked us up, but never today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joni! Nikki and I always have so much fun together. I was terrible for taking up invites from strangers when I was younger, I often wonder how I managed to stay alive when I look back! xxx

      Delete
    2. Same for me! But it was the good years!

      Delete
  6. Hi Vix it's Elaine - Blogger isn't recognising that I'm signed in to Google so is making me anonymous (unless it decides it's OK once I hit the button lol).

    Fab post and just what I needed to read today - people can be so nice - like Paul; you can sometimes forget that, given how things are mostly negative in the media - a lot of folks ARE lovely. I managed to lose some keys earlier this week and some utter citizen picked them up and left them discreetly close to where I'd dropped them.

    Matthew Boulton sounds ace - what a shame Soho House was a bit of a boys club - Mary Wollstonecraft would have fitted right in surely lol. Awesome. The Lunar Society is going still as The Modern Lunar Society - this is fantastic - https://lunarsociety.org.uk/the-moonstones/

    Today we have bought freshly-baked Irish soda bread from Mary's Bakery stall and had some toasted for lunch (still some left for brekkie toast tomorrow!). The Indian Brewery looks so fab (even if I did read fat naans as fat nanas LMAO).

    Stay warm all - thermals and fingerless gloves ON! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Elaine! How rude of Google.
      Yes, people like Paul restore my faith in humanity. He had no agenda, he just thought we looked a bit lost, bless him. That's brilliant that your keys got picked up and left somewhere visible. Jon lost his beloved FabIndia scarf in Spoons last weekend and that too had been handed in.
      That's fascinating about the Lunar Society memorial. Would you believe that they are 5 miles from my front door and I had no idea of their existence. I'll have to pop over and visit them and report back.
      Mmmm, Irish soda bread. I love it toasted and dripping with butter. I was tempted with a Fat Naan (not a nana), maybe next time.
      Yes, it's gone chilly this afternoon despite the weatherman saying it was unseasonably warm .Better get the tortoise in! Sending love! xxx

      Delete
  7. I was only reading about Soho House the other day! What a fantastic visit you had! I enjoyed the walk there (well most of it, given you were chauffeur driven the rest of the way).
    The photographic exhibition looks right up my street. Love Vanley Burke's black and white images - really capturing the time and I must seek out Chaart Attack next time I'm in town. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic, the young historian guide was so knowledgeable and passionate, that after the tour Nikki and I said - like a pair of old ladies - "I bet his mum's so proud!"
      Vanley Burke's work is wonderful. I thought you'd love it.
      Maybe we should visit the Indian Brewery soon! xxx

      Delete
  8. Oh the people you meet! I guarantee I would have been invisible. Meeting Nikki is always a treat for us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's never a dull moment on a day out with us! Nikki is such fun, we laugh all day! xxx

      Delete
  9. The history of country music is absolutely fascinating to me, from it's humble roots to the tv series 'Nashville'! It's not all line dancing and rhinestone cowboys. Ken Burns did a fab docu-series called, funnily enough, 'Country Music' which is shown on PBS America (channel 84 on my telly!) now and again, from beginning to present day. Going to give you a right telling off for getting into a stranger's car, even with company! My heart was in my mouth when I was reading that. Have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should investigate further. the only country act I've ever seen was Dolly Parton and that was enough to put me off for life! I know our taste in TV is very similar so maybe I'll give it a go and educate myself.
      I wasn't alone - there were four of us to one man!
      Have a fab weekend. We're currently glued to Arctic Circle on Walter Presents, it's well worth a watch! xxx

      Delete
    2. Saw this a few weeks back https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9602666/ Bluebird "Nashville's accidental landmark that has altered the course of music history." really enjoyed it (and I'm not particularly into country music).

      Delete
    3. Elaine, between you and Ann I might have to educate myself. Maybe in my next blog post I'll be wearing rhinestones! xxx

      Delete
    4. Luv ya Vix but Dolly Parton is a feminist icon and supremely talented. I came to her later in life after a cool youth of bagging country music. She’s the real deal. The Ken Burns Country Music doco also great. Julie in Melbourne long time lurker

      Delete
    5. Hello Julie in Melbourne! Thanks for coming out of the shadows and commenting. Dolly Parton is a wonderful person, I know she's done amazing things for child literacy and funded research into Covid vaccines. It's just her songs I have a problem with. I promise to watch that Ken Burns documentary soon. Much love to you! xxx

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful day full of unexpected delights you and Nikki had. As always I loved tagging along and enjoyed your wonderful eye for detail along the way. Fancy you and your new found friends being chauffeured to Handsworth by that Rastafarian gent! What a lovely man. And then being given a private tour of Soho House! Such a fascinating place. I'm loving the sound of Matthew Boulton and the Lunar Society.
    The photography exhibition looks really interesting too, Vanley Burke really seemed to have captured the times.
    I'm not surprised that young chap wanted to hang out with you two. Nothing worse than being invisible in your 50s and beyond! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fab day and your company would have been the icing on the cake. Mind you, what with all the amazing architecture in Birmingham it might have taken us even longer to get to Soho House as i know you love capturing on camera as much as I do!
      Being invisible at 50 and over must be a myth, I seem to get more attention the older I get! xxx

      Delete
  11. I find your post always enlighten.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a range of cultures and time periods you touched in this outing, ranging from the Lunar Society and a private tour of Soho House to a ride courtesy of a friendly Rastafarian and a glimpse of the postwar Black British experience. Fan of Nigel Patrick that I am, the latter reminded me of his 1959 film, "Sapphire", a police procedural touching on post-war racial tensions. Still worth watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just looked up Sapphire, Beth. It looks like something we'd both enjoy, I'm off to see if its available on any of the streaming services. xxx

      Delete
    2. I'm sure Jon would relish the cars and Nigel's wardrobe! Here, too, is a very young Earl Cameron, one of the first Black British film stars: he was still acting 60 years later at age 100.

      Delete
    3. I'll let you know once we've tracked it down! xxx

      Delete
  13. What a great day out. You are braver than I would have been. I'm not sure I would have got into a strangers car. It's sad really, as it was clearly a generous and well intended offer. I've often felt the urge to offer a lift to someone, when it's been pouring with rain, but then I realise it may not be met with the graciousness you afforded this gentleman. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't really be telling you this but I've lost count of the number of times I've accepted lifts from strangers especially before my hip replacement op when people would stop because they were concerned about how poorly I walked and wanted to spare me any pain. On the whole humanity is kind and lovely or maybe I'm just deluded and lucky with my experiences. xxx

      Delete
  14. That is wonderful about the kind Rastafarian gentleman who gave you a lift! What a great and generous man. I have accepted lifts from strangers before. Last September 2021, I was asked to cover for my friend for Essex Chamber Orchestra last minute. I had to get the train to Shenfield and then wait for the rail replacement bus to Ingatestone where the rehearsal was being held. It was really running late and I was getting a bit desperate. I had my bike with me so decided to try and cycle even though I am TERRIBLE at directions. I started to go and then reached a main road where I was confused which way to go. I stoppe d to see if I could ask someone for directions. Nobody was around and then I saw the Rail replacement bus fly past me. I was so upset as I was flute and my part was really important and I felt I was letting them down. I knocked on a cottage door to ask for directions. A lady answered and tried to give me directions. She could obviously see the panic in my eyes and as I walked away to try and go, I started to cry as I knew I'd get lost. She had left the door open and obviously saw me cry because, the next thing was, she came out with her car keys and told me she'd give me a lift with my bike. I was so thankful and she was so generous.
    The exhibition sounds wonderful. I would love to see that. Nice that you helped the ladies to get there too and then you got a treat to see more than you bargained for!
    I really must visit your part of the world as I really do find it interesting!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely of that lady, Kezzie! My heart was in my mouth reading about your stressed out journey. Like you, I'm notoriously terrible at following directions!
      If you ever fancy a trip up here give me a shout! xxx

      Delete
  15. What a great day out. We have just got back from two nights in Birmingham and had an absolute blast - loved it all. The girls decided they wanted a city break in half term and that was the city they decided on. We have visited the library, the museum done loads of shopping, eating and drinking and can't wait to go back as still lots to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that you had a fabulous Brummie break, Emma! The library is incredible, isn't it? Birmingham's got so much to offer and it's loads friendlier than London! xxx

      Delete
  16. Your comments about country music reflect my own but Philip who is a massive fan said ‘The girl has no taste’ haha. I’m in your camp, it all sounds the same to me, whingey whiney.
    You met some real characters didn’t you. Fabulous day out. Thanks for taking us with you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten Philip was a country fan! I don't get all that twangy guitar stuff and seeing Dolly Parton live put me off for life! xxx

      Delete
  17. Sounds that you both had a very interesting day - The Rastafarian sounds such a gent - I love their style - I had various foreign boyfriends in my younger days but never a Rastafarian - and the young bloke - You've still got it Vix x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fab day, Flis! I used to go to a lot of blue parties when I was younger and the rastafarians were always really kind and respectful. xxx

      Delete
  18. What a wonderful day out , so much to take in from your post Vix. How kind of the Rastafarian gent to offer you all a lift -safety in numbers.
    Who says women fade into obscurity with age have obviously never met you two as the offer suggests. Not a country music fan either. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! I was starting to feel like a freak after declaring my dislike of country music! I think I've become more visible the older I've got! xxx

      Delete
  19. You can't tar all country music with the same brush - it's like saying all rock is the same. Explore and do watch the Ken Burns doc if you can. I would explore some of the folk-country that is out there or the singer-songwriter genre - it's massive!

    Loved visiting Birmingham with you. I would be terrified at getting into someone's car - I don't even like talking to people in public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you're the second commenter to mention him, I promise to look up Ken Burns' documentary and try and educate myself.
      Us Midlanders have a reputation for being super friendly. When I used to host blogger get togethers up here nobody could get over how random strangers would just strike up a random conversation. xxx

      Delete
  20. Sounds like you had an interesting visit! It’s not uncommon for Tokyo residents to help lost tourists out from time to time. They certainly sound like a friendly bunch of people.
    I wonder if the young man wanted to offer you some well you know what! As Connor did try when I was in labour last time. Don’t worry I kindly declined the offer.
    I love the way you dress. I have gone back to black as colour just makes me look very I’ll and clashes with my blue hair! Happy halloween by the way. We don’t do Xmas much to mums dismay lol . Love and hugs Allie jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie! We had a fab day and I suspect you're right about that young man. That's funny about Connor, at least he was trying to help, bless him!
      Most of the places we've visited in the world are hospitable to strangers, we've been picked in trucks and lorries and invited into homes for food when we've been out wandering. I like to think that most people are kind and lovely.
      I bet black looks fantastic with your blue hair and really shows it off. I'm wearing more of it now my hair's not black and I don't look like a mafioso widow any more! xxx

      Delete
  21. Ooh that chaat is making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what an amazing post, and a pretty amazing day that you had too. I love the architecture in your photographs, what a treat to see so many older buildings that are so well looked after and in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birmingham is brilliant - it's taken me almost a lifetime to appreciate how much good stuff we have on our doorstep! xxx

      Delete
  23. It was wonderful hearing about the house and business! The photography exhibition looked so interesting! The young man probably wanted some style tips off you to improve his style, haha! I think anyone would want to hang out with you but you do have to be careful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix