Friday 1 April 2022

Sent To Coventry


 On Wednesday I caught the train to Birmingham's New Street Station, hopped on another and 50 minutes after leaving home I was in Coventry, the current UK City of Culture and home to my fabulous friend, Nikki. Nikki is passionate about her city and is currently volunteering as a cultural guide so I couldn't have asked for a better person to reaquaint me with Coventry. The last time I visited the city centre was as a music-obsessed twelve year old in 1978 when I bought a rare Spanish import of Blondie's album Parallel Lines (on vinyl) which I still own to this day!


Coventry has many claims to fame including that of the legend of Lady Godiva the wife of Leofric, Earl of Mercia, in which during the 11th Century, she rode naked, covered only in her long hair, through the streets of Coventry to gain a remission of the oppressive taxation that her husband imposed on his tenants. 


Its also the home of Two-tone, the music genre that sprung up in the late 1970s, its name derived from 2 Tone Records, a record label founded in 1979 by Jerry Dammers and referenced a desire to transcend and defuse racial tensions in Thatcher-era Britain. Local bands included Dammers' The SpecialsThe Selecter, and The Beat (all of whom we've seen live).

Coventry was an industrial city, producing amongst other things, cars, bicycles & aeroplane engines and therefore seen as a legitimate target for aerial bombing. Between August and November, 1940 around 198 tons of bombs were dropped by the Luftwaffe, devastating the city. It was decided that St Michael's Cathedral, a 14th-century Gothic church later designated as a cathedral, remained a shell, to remind future generations of the devastation of war.

The current St Michael's Cathedral, built next to the remains of the old, was designed by Basil Spence.The foundation stone of the new cathedral was laid by Elizabeth II on 23 March 1956. It was graduation day when we visited and was absolutely heaving so we decided against exploring the interior.

From the moment of its destruction by bombing in 1940 Coventry Cathedral spoke about forgiveness and reconciliation. Almost immediately after WWII, the city set about twinning with other cities devastated by war, one of which was Dresden which suffered terrible losses from the British-American bombardment of  february, 1945. Reconciliation, unveiled in 1977, is by Josefina de Vasconcellos. The same sculpture stands in Hiroshima's Peace Park.


One of Coventry's celebrated citizens is the electronic music composer Delia Derbyshire (1937 - 2001), immortalised in graffiti (below) on a city wall we passed. She is probably best known for composing the Doctor Who theme tune.  

 

Named by Vogue as England's most eccentric dresser, Coventry was where living art work, Daniel Lismore, grew up. He moved to London at the age of seventeen where he worked as a model and photographer and in recent times, a campaigner and ambassador for climate change. His elaborate and extravagant ensembles combine haute couture with vintage fabrics, found objects, chainmail, ethnic jewellery, millinery and more, in an expression of eccentric, creative energy. Inspired by art in all its forms, history and his travels, Lismore combines and amalgamates multiple inspirations from around the world into vibrant expressions of cultural appreciation.


A huge exhibition showcasing his outfits and the inspiration behind them is currently on at Coventry's Herbert Art Gallery.

The first of the exhibition spaces has a Ted talk with Daniel projected and playing on a loop (theres a link at the end of my post) and many of his personal objects, collages, books and photos giving visitors an insight into the things that inspire him.





One of the curators warned me that I might run out of memory on my camera when we moved on to the main body of the exhibition as it there was so much to see that might just blow up my camera (and our minds...)



Amongst the myriad layers of textiles, chainmail and jewellery it was thrilling to spot familiar objects, like the antique Fattorini & Sons Egyptian Revival bangle Jon bought me for my 50th (Daniel was brought up by his grandparents who were antique dealers) and well as similar tribal pieces Nikki & I both own and textiles we're familar with from our time spent in India.
























I can't imagine anyone of any gender or age not being enthralled by Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Already Taken. The exhibition is on until 26th June. Admission is free but booking is essential. All the info HERE.


After that we were ready for lunch and Nikki suggested The Pod, a social enterprise that incorporates food grown on a community allotment into their vegan menu. Somewhat ironically, The Pod is based in an 18th century former butcher's shop, just look at that tiled floor and the ancient range. 


On the menu were the option of two main courses, we chose the Vietnamese-inspired aubergine & chickpea curry served with coconut rice and an Asian side salad of pickled radishes and mustard greens. There was a Vietnamese coffee cake for dessert (I'm not into cake but this was neither sweet, sickly or too big, I can't bear large portions of food!) and a choice of non-alcoholic drinks, we both had pots of tea, Earl Grey for me and peppermint for Nikki. Not only delicious but great value at £8 a head.

Oh no, I'm turning into an Instagram w*nker!

 
Despite the devastation wreaked on Coventry by WWII, there's still absolutely loads of historic buildings alongside the Mid-Century Brutalism in the city centre, check out timbered Wetherspoons!



 And these gorgeous higgidy piggidy Medieval houses adjacent to the Cathedral.


One of the many benefits of being awarded the City of Culture is that Coventry got some much-needed funding enabling the council to restore more of the city.






I loved the Mid-Century city library and the ceramic tiles adorning the walls in the converted subway were stunning. The tiles were restored at Jackfield, the tile museum I visited HERE.

After the heat and sunshine of the previous week, Wednesday was bitterly cold and wet - as you can probably tell from the woolly hats we were wearing in the gallery! We warmed ourselves up with a citrussy IPA in CAMRA's current Pub of the Year, the Hops D'Amour Micropub, situated in a former Singer sewing machine shop.


Keen to avoid commuter hell I hugged Nikki goodbye and jumped on the 15.25 to Manchester, changing at Birmingham New Street for the Walsall bound train, arriving back in town at 16.20. 

I loved my day - Coventry rocks!

Jon and I celebrate our Never Had A Wedding Anniversary today - 30 years of unmarried bliss ! There's swimming, a haircut and a slap-up dinner to look forward to once I've published this blog. See you soon!



43 comments:

  1. We loved Coventry and will definitely visit again. The car museum is fabulous and well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've not been there but I bet Jon would love it. Now I know how easy it is to get there on the train I'll definitely go back! xxx

      Delete
  2. What a blast of a day. So good to see the exhibition through your eyes, it’s amazing.
    I’m grinning here, I feel like I’ve had a day out as well.
    When you mentioned two tone I remembered buying a two tone suit with my first wage in 1971. Pity there’s no photos of it. It cost a fortune but I loved it xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your two-tone suit was wonderful, we've found a few of those 1960s "tonic" pieces over the years and they always get snapped up by sharp-dressed mods.
      That exhibition was incredible, each outfit has son many inticate details. I'd love to see Daniel in Lidl dressed in one of them! xxx

      Delete
  3. Hello Vix, what a super day out in Coventry! I haven't been for many years, but I do remember a comic shop in the centre, and an circular indoor market. Thank goodness Lady Godiva is riding 'side saddle' :0 I think I've mentioned this before, but Monsieur's gran lived through the Coventry bombings. Delia Derbyshire is one of my all time heroes - she was a genius! How amazing the Daniel Lismore exhibition looks!!! Incredible outfits! Look's like a fab time was had by you and Nikki xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coventry is fab, I was amazed with how much it's changed since I was a kid, it seemed very concretely and bleak back in the late 1970s (This town is comin' like a ghost town!) The circular indoor cafe is still there!
      I can't imagine what it must have been like to have lived through the bombings like monsieur's grandma. Nikki's boyfriend's granddad was awarded the George Cross for rescuing a family, it takes pride of place in the Herbert Museum! xxx

      Delete
  4. Whenever I hear Coventry I think motorbikes. The UK motorcycle industry was pretty much centred around it.

    I don't know what's up with me and Blogger - lots of comments freezing or not getting through lol. I'll just say - squeeee - I used to have a Moulton Mini Bike which I gadded about on for pretty much all of my teens. You could do that safely then - perverts and traffic loons would stop me from hooning about on deserted country roads now :(

    The Daniel Lismore exhibition looks fabulous - dressing as an artform - theres a marvelous TED talk by Daniel here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q7D4EmbSCw
    he also has a website here
    https://www.daniellismore.com/about
    ... it's honestly worth every moment Googling him - so engaging and interesting.

    What a smashing day you had - what is it with the weather this week?! I put all my woolies in the attic on Monday and it was bloody well SLEETING yesterday. Anyway - best get used to it - I'd rather be cold than give Putin his Roubles for gas.

    Layers on - take care all xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buggering blogger, I' sorry it's not playing nice. I have days when it eats my comments, too!
      Coventry to me has always been about Two-Tone. Nikki told me about the ribbon making industry which I had no idea about despite alweays having Cash's name labels sewn in my school knickers!
      Perverts and traffic loons - you sound just like Jon when i mentioned cycling outside the garden wall!
      I always thought Ted Talks were about business until I saw that one projected at the gallery. I knew you'd love Daniel and I shall go and check those links out right now. The exhibition is well worth a visit if you can - I can't believe it's free. It would cost a bastard mint in London! I've just started following him on Facebook, he says he's cross that he was at the exhibition today and people are more interested in what make of underwear he's got on and how tall he is rather than the exhibits themselves - tossers!
      The weather is ridiculous, I've beeen sitting fully dressed shrouded in a blanket! Snow, hail, a sharp frost and arctic winds - bring back Spring! xxx

      Delete
  5. Oops - duplicated the TED talk link lol
    Have you seen this video featuring Aymeric Bergada Du Cadet?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo6ddui1Sd8

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant day out!! You are lucky to have seen all of those Two Tone bands. There's something about The Specials' music - it instantly takes me back to my primary school years when Thatcher was in power and the mere mention of her name in school assemblies would result in boos from the braver older kids. Reconciliation is a poignant sculpture - will we ever learn I wonder? The Daniel Lismore exhibition looks utterly fabulous - he's clearly borrowed elements of your style! ;-) Love the look and sound of The Pod, even if it does encourage Instagram w**kery. I can see why you were impressed with the library - it's a wonderful example of mid century architecture isn't it? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! Coventry is ace!
      Yes, Two-Tone was massive round these parts and big at school discos. We've seenj The Specials and The Selecter again in recent years and neither have lost their edge.
      Reconcilliation is beautiful. The war displays in the Herbert charting the city's friendship with Dresden are incredible moving, too. Jon and I went a few years ago.
      I think Daniel had been in my jewellery box, he says it takes him 20 minutes to get dressed which I'm a little sceptical of, it takes me that long to get a brush through my hair! xxx

      Delete
  7. I agree with Lynn, I feel like I have just been to Coventry! I love your intelligent and colourful posts but you know that already! You and Nikki must have had a blast, the exhibition, the history, the colour wow. Most poignant though the statue "Reconciliation" and when I read it was in Hiroshima too - well that bought a tear. (hmm pensive mood today) but onto brighter things the garden is springing to life and son no. 2 has decide he is going to get into it too can't be bad. Have a fabulous week -end Vix! love Shazx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shaz! That Reconcilliation statue is incredibly beautiful especially set inside the shell of the old cathedral. When will we ever learn?
      Fair play to son no.2 for braving the garden, it's so cold here! xxx

      Delete
  8. I had to do a double take, for a second I thought you have dyed your hair back to you natural blond but then I realized it was your friend and not you in the photograph (you were in the next one). I don't know how similar you really or is just that there is perhaps some real resemblance or is just that her maxi dress seemed like something you would wear. Anyhow, it seems you girls had a nice time. I love seeing this exhibition. I love museums. You remind me that I wanted to write about my visit to some museums, but haven't gotten around it yet. Anyhow, I love the history bit too, Lady Godiva fighting for the tax oppressed. That's the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have very similar styles and length of hair!
      We had a lovelky time, the exhibition is incredible. I love the idea of turning yourself into a living art form. I think, after years of restrictive eating as a fashion model it was a way of Daniel taking back control of his own body.
      I wonder if anyone today would bare all to fight for the opressed? xxx

      Delete
    2. Yes, it could be exactly that. Taking back the control! But more than anything, an outlet to a person who is obviously insanely talented and creative. I listened to Daniel's Ted talk- just wow! One can really see his fascination with history coming from him being brought up by grandparents who were antique dealers. I love that he actually recycles everything and uses the same fabrics over and over again.

      Good question about bearing it all for the oppressed. Today nudity is not scandalous anymore, perhaps more scandalous would be bearing our opinions and feelings? The ruling elite in the West is getting richer by the minute. Not sure what we can do about this wealth redistribution that is taking place.

      Delete
    3. Ivana, your intelligence never fails to blow me away, you put things so much better than I ever could!
      I'm so glad you watched that Ted Talk with Daniel, isn't he absolutely fascinating? xxx

      Delete
    4. Daniel's so amazing that when he calls himself a work of art, one doesn't feel it is just a figure of speech, it is something that actually makes sense.

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, what an amazing trip! I have only heard of Coventry, and only vaguely remembered about the bombing of WWII. Incredible pics, Vix, thank you! I love Brutalist buildings, especially contrasted with the old, and very old! buildings. How moving that they left the bombed-out cathedral - that brought tears to my eyes.

    That exhibit...I would have been all over it! I recognize my Whiting & Davis snake necklace there! What an amazing person Daniel must have been (is?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the contrast between the old and new with architecture, too. Isn't the shell of the cathedral a wonderful sight, too? People should never forget the atrocity of war, its a far better reminder than a statue.
      I wondered if that was your bangle, that's why I took a photo of it. Daniel's still around, you'll love that video link I've posted if you have to time to watch it although you might query his claim that it takes him 20 minutes to get dressed every day - that's either amazing outfit planning or a dodgy watch! xxx

      Delete
  10. How very exciting Daniel L's exhibition is, what a fantastically well put together post, thankyou.... it's crammed with interesting facts and pics - maybe being an Instagram W*nker is a good way to go?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betty! Coventry gets such a bad rap but it's a fantastic city and well worth a visit! xxx

      Delete
  11. I've never been sent to ... err been to Coventry, but it seems I've definitely missed something. I love how the shell of the bombed out cathedral was left as it was. They originally wanted to do that with Ypres, but the people of Ypres rejected the idea, so it was completely rebuilt.
    I'd quite forgotten Two-Tone originated in Coventry!
    The Daniel Lismore exhibition looks absolutely amazing, I'll have a proper look at that video later after I'd caught up with blogland.
    Hasn't it turned bitterly cold all of a sudden? Bring back Spring! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you could squeeze a trip to Coventry into your itinery? With it being the UK City of Culture there's absolutely loads of stuff going on and I know you and Jos would adore the Mid-Century Cathedral! What a shame Ypres didn't keep one of their ruins as a shell, it's a sobering reminder of the horror of war.
      Do watch that video if you find the time, Daniel's thoughts on dressing up echo ours, you'll be nodding in agreement all the way through! xxx

      Delete
  12. I love how your train system connects the cities in the UK. Only out East does that seem to be a thing. That was quite the exhibit-where will it go next I wonder? I don't think you are at risk of being a IG w#$(ker (is that a bad word?) I like seeing pictures of food-but they need to say what it is, either the recipe or where it can be found. You did that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not being able to drive isn't a problem for those of us in urban areas, I can travel the length of the country and now I'm 55 I can even get a discounted railcard if I organised myself better!
      W*nker is common english for one who masturbates - the Greek version is "mallaka" which sounds a lot more poetic! xxx

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I knew you'd love the ruined cathedral, Marjorie! xxx

      Delete
  14. Wowsers! So much see! I love Daniel Lismore's style, absolute gilding the lily in the most opulent and glorious way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Daniel fantastic? He's absolutely stunning without the adornment but, as the great Keith Richards says, if it's worth doing then it's worth overdoing! xxx

      Delete
  15. Oh what a great trip and loved the history lesson on Coventry. This exhibit looked amazing and wow buying a rare Spanish edition Blondie album in 1978 so cool!!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie! I was a cool kid, I'm not sure what happened! xxx

      Delete
  16. What an incredible day out - I did not know Coventry was so interesting (sorry 😝).

    The Lismore exhibition must have blown your visual cotex into overload!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coventry is often overlooked - especially by those of us who live up the road from it.
      I think I need to go back and see that exhibition again, it was the most incredible thing ever! xxx

      Delete
  17. the Daniel Lismore exhibition looks absolutely mind blowing!!
    how could you ever make it out there?
    love the dresses and hats you both wear.....
    yes - coventry is the twin city of our devastated dresden - especially now this friendship and the remembrance is so very important......
    very instagramable food ;-P
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd love the Daniel Lismore exhibition. Isn't he fantastic?
      I love the friendship that exists between Coventry and Dresden. Maybe one day they'll be the same between Moscow and Kiev, we can but hope. xxx

      Delete
  18. It's years since we visited Coventry, but we found it a very good day out. There is some wonderful buildings. So pleased you saw the exhibition, I recognised some of the outfits and his pictures, but never knew his name! Sounds and looks like a marvellous day you and Nikki had! I never had Fattorini (beautiful) jewellry, but I do have quite a few bits of my mums' cutlery!!! Zxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's excellent, so much to see and do and the Daniel Lismore exhibition is out of this world! You've got some very posh cutlery! xxx

      Delete
  19. If I get back over to the UK again, Coventry will be on my list of places to visit. I would LOVE to see the Daniel Lismore exhibit. I have watched the TED talk and am blown away by the creativity and commitment that they put into being their true self.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness what a day you had. Coventry looks so interesting with the old and brutalist . The Daniel Lismore exhibition is simply amazing . So many different elements in every outfit. I did enjoy the Ted talk and hearing about his journey and thought processes . Couldn't agree with his sentiments more. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix