Tuesday 29 March 2022

I Want to Ride my Bicycle



The clocks had gone forward overnight so it was dark when I got up on Sunday morning. I made tea, brought it back to bed and read for an hour whilst Jon and Stephen snoozed beside me. Toast and coffee were consumed whilst watching the news in the kitchen.


There was a distinct chill in the air when I popped Jacob outside in his pen but I dressed for summer nontheless, wearing my Kharibou block printed dress, a vintage suede waistcoat and the first pair of Lotta of Stockholm clogs I'd ever bought, five years ago.


We popped down to the charity shop, handing over some donations (completed books & a couple of tee shirts Jon no longer wanted) and finding a few bits and pieces at the same time - a 1980s Hong Kong made leisure shirt, 7 for All Mankind "Roxanne" jeans, some Cos textured cotton ankle grazers, a 1980s Spanish leather bag, a Holland Esquire shirt in Liberty's Wild at Heart print (which originally retailed at £135), a German army shirt in Flecktarn camoflague, a vintage dressing gown, a 1980s paisley print shirt, a 1970s prairie skirt and a cotton cut work leisure shirt.


Back at home I laundered the finds and Jon & I had a lemon muffin and a posh coffee for lunch. Afterwards Jon helped me touch up my roots, normally we do them every 5 weeks but with a trim booked at the hairdressers later in the week I brought it forward a week.Leaving Jon to scrub the kitchen floor, I did a quick clean of the lounge then sat and did some visible mending on our friend, Kev's jeans. 


I thought our tea looked so pretty I took a photo, prompting Jon to call me an Instagram w*nker. Those are Morrison's edamame and sweet potato burgers, served on a slice of sour dough bread brushed with tapenade and accompanied by a salad (glace de reine lettuce fresh from the garden) and some sweet chilli jam.Later we watched another couple of episodes of Scandi cop thriller, Deadwind, followed by Peaky Blinders, the coolest period drama ever made.


It was much milder on Monday when I popped to the Kinky shed to sort out the stock I'd sold over the weekend. After my Wii Fit session and breakfast we drove over to Liz & Al's to drop off Liz's present, in time for her birthday on Tuesday. We had a tour of the garden and their veg plot - which put our efforts to shame - and spent a lovely hour or so catching up over a coffee.


By mid-morning the warmth and sunshine had made a welcome reappearance. I wore the 1960s Indian cheesecloth and crochet maxi dress I'd bought from a charity shop in Walsall back in December and the previous day's Walsall charity shop find, the German army shirt.


After lunch we had a look at the pond to check on the progress of the frogspawn, which seemed to have increased in recent days.



I decided that I was going to give cycling another try, something I've lost the ability to do since my hip replacement. I've got three bikes, my childhood Moulton Mini, which is missing a front wheel, the vintage Raleigh shopper (above) with the knackered gear stick....


...and this ladies city bike which I bought off eBay for £4 fifteen years ago and although I didn't really need it, thought it would be rude not to buy it.  Very wobbly at first, I managed to cycle up and down the lawn 8 times before collapsing in a heap underneath it, much to Jon's amusement. Both tyres are knackered so we've ordered replacements, maybe by this time next week I'll have made it round the block in one piece!


Jon showing me how it's done! 


I've always bemoaned the fact that I own no practical clothing and if I need to do anything strenous or sporty I'm all of a tizz, I'm not attracted to sensible clothes so rarely look at them in chazzas (and wouldn't dream on buying them new) but our wonderful clearance charity shop, with its acres of space and laid back Sunday morning vibe has led me to browse rails I'd normally never consider, those of the trousers and jeans. These Cos cotton ankle grazers I snaffled for £2 on Sunday are comfy and were perfect for my cycling training, far better than risking tearing one of my precious dresses!


I made broccoli and cauliflower au gratin for tea, we watched the final two episodes of Deadwind followed by Stanley Tucci's Searching for Italy, a gorgeous series on the BBC i-player combining travel with good food. I defy anyone to watch this and not want pizza.


The temperature had plummeted on Tuesday morning. After my Wii Fit workout I wrapped the eBay sales before breakfast. Jon did a post office run and a supermarket shop whilst I spent the morning ironing and listing stock on eBay including some of our recent finds -  Alexander McQueen, Moschino, Free People, Superdry, Coast, Gabicci, Quiksilver, Hawes & Curtis of Jermyn Street and Adidas Originals.


I wore the same clothes as I'd worn the previous day. Well, I never did claim to be a style blogger!


I thought it was about time I shared a close-up of this vintage green leather bag, adorned with Portuguese Escudos (which were still in circulation the last time I visited) and a UK shilling and 2p piece. I was the only bidder on ebay and won it for a song.


After lunch we walked down to the baths for the 2pm public swim but were a bit early and had to wait in reception for the hydrotherapy class to finish. I spotted these vintage posters on display. This time we completed 24 lengths, we're improving by the day.


Back at home I tried out another of Sunday's finds, the Seven for All Mankind "Roxanne" jeans in Woodland Green, priced at £3. I'd heard of the brand but didn't know much about it and was astounded to discover that these jeans retail at £200. When I tried them on, I discovered why, they are the most gorgeously soft and comfy jeans I've ever worn in my life.


My legs are quite long considering I'm short but the jeans need almost a foot hacking off the hem. The size label reads "27" which translates as a Uk size 4, which must be an example of vanity sizing 'cos I ain't that small!

Posh jeans worn with my Masscob for Liberty velvet "Badin* jacket (eBay), hand-embroidered Greek top from Lindos, olive velvet boots (River Island via the charity shop) and a 1960s Pakistani bag (jumble sale about twenty years ago)

I'm off galvanting with Nikki tomorrow, I'll be back soon with tales of our adventures!

53 comments:

  1. Sometimes changing the seat, or at least adjusting it can help take pressure off your hips. One of those low to the ground reclining bikes (as silly as they look) might be just the thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking! I did look at adult stablisers but they're £160! xxx

      Delete
  2. Fabulous outfits, as ever - those green jeans look comfortable and are an incredible fit! Your lovely new vintage leather bag will work well with them. We bought Gareth's Dad Stanley Tucci's book for Christmas - keep meaning to explore the series. You're not an Instagram w*nker (leave that to me!) but please promise me that you won't turn into those crazy cycling obsessives, embracing the lycra, clocking up miles and clutching isotonic drinks! I'm joking of course. Have fun! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried jeans like them, they're so soft and comfy. the legs are so long though, I'm not sure who they're made for - Amazonian women, maybe? I seem to be attracted to all things olive green of late, I loved wearing it as a blonde but went off it when I dyed my hair.
      I'm pretty sure you're not an Instagram w*nker! Jon was getting exasperated at Tony & I taking photos of our food when we were in Spain - not for IG, just to look back on when we got home.
      I promise not to be a cycling bore or a MAWIL (middle aged woman in lycra), that's as bad as those poeple who post the amount of miles they've run on Facebook...yawn! Mind you, I keep banging on about the number of lengths we've swam! xxx

      Delete
    2. That’s OK. You should be proud after such a long time out of the pool! xxx

      Delete
  3. Your biking adventures remind me I need to get Penny, my orange bike in for some TLC now that I found a bike repair shop. You look effortlessly put together in the jeans and the ankle grazers-I don't know what a fashion blogger is supposed to look like, but you put the over stylized photos to shame. Happy Birthday to Liz. Spending an afternoon with friends over coffee sounds pretty fab to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liike the sound of Penny! Great news that you've found a cycle repair shop and can get her fixed, too.
      I'm not a trouser wearer but those jeans felt so good I had to see if there was a way of incorporating them into my wardrobe and I was quite pleased with the result.
      Liz's birthday looks sat to be a long, drawn out affair, i think we might manage two celbratory nights out! xxx

      Delete
  4. How did you find those Morrisons burgers? I've been buying them for a while but recently they seem to have become very stodgy?

    Your jeans look wonderful but £200 when new? Really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane! Those burgers have been in the freezer a while. I hope they haven't changed the recipe as these were delicious. I loved their Miami vegeburgers too and they seemed to have phased them out altogether.
      I know, £200! What crazy person buys expensive clothes like that and goes off them? xxx

      Delete
  5. Loving the ankle grazers and Cos jeans on you - and so practical, too. Good luck with the cycling; it's just practise you need and now you've got the right gear you'll be flying around Walsall!

    The change in the weather is a disappointment isn't it? Still, we have the summer to look forward to. I loved your outfits from the pretty cotton dress with clogs, the camouflage shirt over the cheesecloth and crochet dress to the trousers with jacket; they were reflecting the weather perfectly.

    I would be very excited to have frogspawn in my garden and wished we had room for a teeny pond!

    Hope you have a great week,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! That's the joy of charity shopping, isn't it? You can experiment with things you'd never dream of buying at full price and pass them on if they're not quite right.
      I hope I can re-learn to ride a bike, I used to whizz across Walsall on mine in the days pre-hip.
      It such a shame about the weather, those glorious days have spoilt me, I don't want to go back to woolies and thermals after enjoying bare legs and sunnies.
      Couldn't you squeeze in a vintage whisky barrel and have a mini pond in the garden? I fancy one of those on the patio! xxx

      Delete
  6. PS - Forgot to say how brilliant was your coin decorated bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that it was green leather! xxx

      Delete
  7. You do look amazing in jeans and pants, Vix. And the way you mix them with your other gear - fan-tastic!! Serious dressing envy here.........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you make anything look very glamorous. Please can I have your gratin recipe for when my veggie friend comes over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get back to you with it this week. xxx

      Delete
  9. Jeans envy going on here!
    Happy to say we have frog spawn here too which we are super pleased about!
    Hope the cycling (with new tyres) goes a little better than the round the garden version - enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so soft and lovely to wear, I just need to chop 12" off the hem!
      I love seeing frogspawn, we have to check up on it daily to see how its getting along.
      I'll really feel like I've accomplished something if I can stay on my bike up and down the avenue. xxx

      Delete
  10. I like how you are embracing new garments. By the way, if you want stylish work out garments, I recommend the Zara black embroidered joggers if you can find any as mine as super good for cycling in! I got mine 2nd hand on eBay!
    Love all your outfits. I love that velvet jacket- I think it might be my favourite of all your jackets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! I'll keep my eyes peeled for those joggers. Wearing a dress and cycling, especially with me being a bit wobbly could only end in disaster!
      I'm very fond of that jacket, I still can't believe the seller had listed it for £400 below the retail price! xxx

      Delete
  11. You look smashing as usual - and if you're running out of Peaky Blinders, you might try Boardwalk Empire? (Just did a quick search and it looks that the fictional universes are gonna converge in actor Stephen Graham, so how's that for timing?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! Stephen Graham? Anything with him in has to be worth a watch. I've heard of Boardwalk Empire, I think Tony's recommended it, too. xxx

      Delete
  12. I'll let you in on a secret, Vix - I have never learned to ride a bike! My parents forced me onto a ginormous adult bike when I was about 7 years old, and it fell on me, and gave me a giant bruise, and I refused to ever get back on it. Never did get on a bike again. Good for you for tackling the intimidating machines!

    I love this "new Vix", wearing all these trousers! I have a few pairs like those that I also use for practical purposes (they're what I wear around the house), all thrifted, of course.

    Your turquoise Lottas reminded me that I'll be getting my own turquoise clog-ish shoes back soon in my closet! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel a bit better now I'm not the only person who can't stay up on two wheels! Your experience with cycling is a bit like mine with sewing, I used to love messing around with an ancient Singer sewing machine as a teenager but when my parents bought me a scary electric one I never sewed another thing until I turned 40!
      Trouser wearing is a revelation, finding the right pair is rather empowering.
      I bet you're excited to get those turquoise shoes out, I hope dragging mine out from the depths of the wardrobe isn't to blame for the Wintery weather we've got forecast for today! xxx

      Delete
    2. Sheila, when I saw this I had to reply to let you know that I have never learned to ride a bicycle either. I was given a very nice one as a gift from a relative when I was about 8 or so, and I fell over so many times that my parents put training wheels on it (so embarassing) and I still fell over, so I gave up.

      Delete
  13. I don't even recall last time I rode a bike.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go all over town on mine, it's so frustrating to lose the ability to cycle! xxx

      Delete
  14. Jon looks very professional on the bike, you could almost forgive him for calling you an Intatagram w****r! That did make me chuckle.
    I've been cycling to work myself this last week. Hope you get used to it again soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so cheeky, isn't he?
      I'm envious of you having the confidence to cycle to work, I hope mine returns! xxx

      Delete
  15. Well done you with the swimming! it's so relaxing too and a great opportunity to do a hair treatment and sit in the sauna afterwards - I make full use of all our pool facilities! I wish I could ride a bike, I bet you love whizzing along with the wind in your hair. I think it's good to change style a little from time to time and incorporating jeans and trousers into your wardrobe really works well for your lifestyle and looks great on you. Jon's right - we all have to be careful on social media not to become Instagram w****rs as it's easy to slip into that thing where we take pictures and forget to enjoy the moment we are in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you've described your sauna sessions. There is a sauna at our baths but it's £5.50 a session (more than swimming) although it would be good training for a tropical holiday, get used to that humidity again!
      I think you're right about taking photos and missing the actual moment, it's so time consuming, too. By the time I'd responded to comments and scrolled up and down a million times I had no time to do anything interesting! xxx

      Delete
  16. How I love your blogs! I'm reading this as a bit of escapism during my work day <3 I honestly don't know how you keep up the consistency, but all I can say is please do because I LOVE having a peek into your life and your fabulous wardrobe! I am a tiny bit pleased you mentioned you're buying practical clothes (still looking glam I might add), I've always wondered how you do the messy, more practical aspects of life in your gorgeous vintage dresses, knowing their ages and prices I figured you must be rich to not care about them getting messed up!
    Looking forward to the next instalment from my hippie muse!
    Lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely to hear from you, Sophia! I hope you and the family are well.
      I'm loving mixing things up a bit and wearing practical clothes like jeans and dungarees for mundane stuff, it makes the days I do wear my vintage dresses all the more special. xxx

      Delete
  17. Somebody on my local FB page was selling a shopper bike and when I mentioned to my sister I might think about buying it, she said 'for gawd's sake, you on a bike would be a complete catastrophe, you can't even walk downstairs without falling and breaking your ankle in three places!' so I quickly abandoned the idea. Please wear a bike helmet when you go out on the main roads. You look amazing in your jeans and trousers (my Ma still calls them 'slacks'!).xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaking an ankle in three places? Oh no! I did think I'd broken mine after I fell off my bike. I shan't leave anything to chance, I've bookmarked a cycle helmet on the Decathlon website, I'm so clumsy!
      Slacks! i haven't heard that in years! xxx

      Delete
  18. please be careful with the bike!!
    you found some stylish trousers & jeans for you newest adventure - love how you styled them. and the army shirt over an indian dress looks fab!
    well done with the swimming - you make great progress and i guess your bones feel much better.......
    my first daffodil has popped!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! I promise to wear a cycle helmet when i'm brave enough to go further than the lawn!
      I'm really pleased with all three of those graments, nothing earth shattering but things I know I'll live in.
      I'm happy to hear about your daffodil. We've had snow on and off all day and Arctic-like temperatures! xxx

      Delete
    2. a helmet will not protect your hips! <3
      xxx

      Delete
  19. Oh I love bike riding! I ought to pull mine out, I haven't ridden in a few years. X

    ReplyDelete
  20. 😍😍😍 Love your vintage Raleigh Shopper Vix 😍😍😍 I used to have one in sparkly cream, with the comfiest squishy brown leather saddle, but alas it was rudely stolen :( It only cost me £8 from a carboot, but my dad & I had spent a bit of time and money doing it up. The cotton ankle trousers are lovely... but where is the Lycra please??? and the spokey dokeys ???

    I had to laugh at Jon's 'Instagram w*nker' comment :) I like the look of the Italian programme - oooh, shall have to give that a whirl, with accompanying pizza and wine of course! Hope you have / have had a lovely adventure day with your friend. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bike sounded gorgeous, how vile that it got nicked. I had a vintage blue Raleigh shopper when I was a student (a jumble sale buy) and some theiving so and so made off with that, too.
      Hmmmm, lycra! We do have a few vinatge cycling jerseys in the Kinky Shed but maybe I'll draw a line at them - and the Isotonic drinks! xxx

      Delete
  21. You did very well with finding casual trousers - I have a terrible time finding pants that fit anymore so I am envious of your green jeans. I never learned how to ride a bicycle when I was a kid and now I'm afraid of falling off and breaking something, so bravo to you for getting "back in the saddle" so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's you and Sheila not being able to ride a bike. I think one in ten British adults aren't able to. They always say that once you learn, you never forget but whoever "they" were never had a hip replacement!
      I can't believe how expensive those green jeans were. It seems quite the month for finding posh stuff in charity shops - I totted up the original retail cost of some of the garments we found today - £740! I paid £16. xxx

      Delete
  22. I second Goody's excellent advice: replace the saddle seat with one designed to support your hips and ensure it's placed exactly right for the shorter leg. (Few of us have exactly matching legs.)

    Good for you, finding soft and well-fitted jeans! I cherish two pairs of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans that are older than some friends. As you say, some projects demand appropriate working attire. And there are a few Midwestern events that have an informal dress code that includes well-worn jeans, long-sleeve plaid shirt and boots (and a straw stockman's hat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legs are almost the same length since my op - I demanded the nurses measured me as soon as I was lucid - it's just that I seem to have trouble cordinating my movements, I have to look at my feet as I climb up and down stairs or I come to a grinding halt.
      I remember Gloria Vanderbilt jeans being launched here, my Mum loved hers! xxx

      Delete
  23. It may not be decent to wear a dress riding your bicycle Vix unless you were to ride side saddle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've having enough trouble trying to stay on my bike if I sit on it normally! xxx

      Delete
  24. So many fabulous outfits! You wear jeans so well, even if you don't wear them often. I love your black maxi dress outfit as well.
    Great watching recommendations. Peaky Blinders has definitely the best costumes. I would pay for lessons in sewing from who ever is doing costume design and sewing for the show! That's some of the most immaculate tailoring I have ever seen and the historical aspect seems to be hands down (even thought I'm not an expert). Great to see that Stanley Tucci's travelling Italy and doing a travel show. I'd love to see that. I always thought he was an underrated actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana!
      I love the Peaky Blinders costtumes, the menswear is so sharp and flamboyant. I'm not sure who was in charge of the wardrobe and sadly I can't claim to have provided any of it!
      The Stanley Tucci series is a joy! xxx

      Delete
  25. I've heard people rave about 7 for All Mankind jeans, although I would never ever fork out £ 135 for a pair of jeans. Isn't it fantastic to be able to try out all sorts of things for next to nothing from the chazzas! Those jeans fit you very well indeed, and it's an unusual and gorgeous colour to boot.
    Had a good giggle at Jon calling you an Instagram w*nker :-))
    Good luck with the cycling! I've always love cycling but have gotten seriously out of practice. I have a brand new bike bought a couple of years back but took a minor fall shortly after I got them and haven't been trying again since. It's a good thing I didn't have to pay actual money for it, but got them with eco-cheques, which are vouchers every employee in Belgium is given each year, and which can be used to buy eco-friendly stuff! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth snaffling them if you see Seven for All Mankind in a charity shop, they really are incredibly confortable even if they're only a layer to add extra warmth to an outfit.
      I remember you mentioning those eco-cheques but can't recall ever having seen your bicycle. I'm not surprised you're hesitant to get back on it after falling off! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix