Friday 18 March 2022

Stoneywell, Arts And Crafts Splendour in Rural Leicestershire

A National Trust adventure was long overdue and, now most of the properties have reopened after their winter break, we headed to the East Midlands to explore a property my friend Aril had alerted me to. Be warned, this post is very image heavy!

Sydney Gimson owned an iron foundry in Leicester and wanted a summer retreat in the idyllic countryside setting of Charnwood Forest where he, his wife Jeannie and their two children could escape from the noise and smoke of the industrial city so he turned to his brother Ernest, one of the most influential artists in the Arts and Crafts Movement. The house remained in the Gimson family for over 100 years until it was purchased by the National Trust in 2013, and has been lovingly restored to show how the family lived and worked.  It opened to the public in February 2015.


Built between 1897 and 1899, from stones found in the immediate vicinity, Stoneywell gives the impression that it is an organic part of the landscape. The house is built on a slope and visitors have to walk around the house in order to get to the front door. The roof was originally thatched but following a fire in 1938 it was re-roofed in second-hand slates from nearby Swithland, a slate mine that ceased trading a couple of years earlier. To echo the contours of the hill on which the house is sited, the rooms, windows and roofline slope downwards and the ground floor in on three levels.The fireplace and doorway have slate lintels "rescued" from abandoned slate quarries. The stone walls were constructed using dry stone walls already on the site and clay from the immediate area. 

Stoneywell was the largest of a group of five cottages in Charnwood, one for each of the Gimson siblings. Rather than employ contractors, Gimson collaborated with a fellow Arts and Crafts architect, Detmar Blow. Following the principle that an architect should be able build what he designs, Blow had begun practical building alongside stonemasons in North Yorkshire. Ernest Gimson had suggested that it could be built for £500, whereas the final bill came in at £920. The cost over-run was not the only frustration experienced by Sydney. At the same time as building the Charnwood houses, Detmar Blow also had other commitments in Wiltshire and Suffolk. These used new techniques to preserve the stonework of ancient decayed walls, under the guidance of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB), and during 1898 both Sydney Gimson and the SPAB secretary wrote to Blow complaining about the absences from their project, highlighting the problem of such a hands-on approach to architecture.

Ernest Gimson (1864 - 1919)

Described by his contemporary W.R Lethaby as “a thinker, an explorer, a teacher” Ernest Gimson became one of the most inspiring and influential architect-designers of the British Arts and Crafts Movement. His father, Josiah, founded the Vulcan Works, an engineering firm in Leicester but, unlike his older brother Sydney, Ernest chose not to pursue a career within the family business.


The family were very prominent in the Leicester Secular Society. It was following one of their meetings, at which William Morris had spoken, that the 19-year-old Ernest met and greatly impressed Morris; it was Morris that steered Gimson to his subsequent career. He decided to move to London to undergo architectural training. From there he moved to The Cotswolds, founding an Arts & Crafts community in Sapperton with the Barnsley Brothers, designing and making wooden furniture following traditional craft principles applied to new designs using clean lines and unadorned surfaces. Many of his pieces remain in the house today including the ladder back chairs in the kitchen and several of the beds. The Barnsley brothers made the dining table and kitchen dresser.


He and his workers remained true to William Morris’s ideal,
Nothing should be made by man’s labour which is not worth making, or must be made by labour degrading to the makers.   



































 
Although the Gimsons were keen gardeners, the gardens are more wild than cultivated although our guide told us that they were particularly keen on rhondedendrons with over 120 species growing in the grounds. Stoneywell Wood is an area of ancient woodland adjoining the house and gardens. Just under 10 acres of the wood belong to Stoneywell, which, along with 5 acres of garden are open to the public. 
































To minimise the impact of tourism on this beautiful part of the Midlands, visits to Stoneywell have to be pre-booked. There's a shuttle bus to take you to the property and, as the weather was glorious, we opted to find our own way back, ambling along the country lanes in the sunshine. 


The guided tour was absolutely wonderful with Mick, our guide, passionate (and incredibly knowledgable) about Arts and Crafts design. We loved that we were encouraged to touch the furniture and to look inside cupboards. We were even given a sneak peak in the kitchen, normally out of bounds to visitors, as he knew we'd be as excited by Ernest Gimson's coat hooks as he was!
 


After a glorious couple of hours we ate our car picnic and drove back home - a journey of just over an hour and, buoyed up by our adventures, booked ourselves a cheeky week away before the festival season kicked off. 

If you're still with me after that epic post have a fabulous weekend & see you soon!



Updated for my pal, Kezzie who wanted a close-up of my outfit! I wore a vintage Dollyrockers gauzy cotton maxi dress (bought from Second to None back in 2009) and a 1960s leather coat (a gift in 2011 from Lucy in Liverpool, who sadly no longer blogs). 

54 comments:

  1. Days out that nurture your love to learn are worth booking time for. Not being much of a gardener myself, the wild look is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a wild garden!
      It's wonderful to meet people so passionate about what they do, I'm such a geek when it comes to beautiful handmade things and it was lovely that the guide indulged me and let me spend ages examining how the furniture was assembled! xxx

      Delete
  2. Evening Vix, I for one am glad your post was "image heavy"... your photos are always wonderful. What a gorgeous NT outing that was! I have been so slack lately have caught up now and must say a certain Vix woman seems to look younger and younger! must be all this fresh air and a sneaky break or two! cheers Shazx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Shaz! You can come back again with kind words like that! I was in my element at Stoneywell, I'm so glad my frriend pointed me in the right direction! xxx

      Delete
  3. I am not usually a big fan of Arts & Crafts Movement houses but that is an absolute stunner, both inside and out. What a wonderful day out for you.

    All this sunshine: for some reason I've been convinced it was Saturday today and it's come as a very pleasant shock to discover I ~still~ have two days of weekend left! Hope you get out and enjoy the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a bit of Arts and Crafts, my taste usually veers towards the over the top William Morris textiles and wallpapers but there was something wonderfulk about the simplicity of the white walls, they let that incredible furniture do the talking.
      What a fab surprise to realise you've got the whole weekend ahead of you - let's hope it's every bit as gorgeous as today has been, I'm trying to talk Jon into a six mile walk! xxx

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful place to visit. Thank you for all the photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the entire tour! How about the narrow winding stair case?!? And the gardens! Never apologize for the # of pix! But your narrative and explanations help me know more about these lovely places I'll never be able to visit...👋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rebecca! Jon was particulary enamoured by the wonderful staircase hewn from the rock. The rope acted as a bannister. Can you imagine what fun that house must have been for the children living there? xxx

      Delete
  6. I hope sometime you will get chance to share about the arts and crafts.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dora. The Arts and Crafts movement - led by William Morris - started in the late 19th Century and was a reaction to the mass production of the Industrial Revolution and over-ornamentation of the Victorian era - things were handmade and harked back to the previous eras of design. xxx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely old building, surprising that it has parts made from original dry stone wall. The furniture is beautiful, quality, beautiful lines and functional. I like a wild garden - I noticed the pond is square which seems unusual. You also looked lovely as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I love how Stoneywell looks like part of the landscape and used so much of the local materials naturally occuring in and around the area. The wild garden is stunning, isn't it? The pond area with that wonderful pump house is so pretty and you're right, that square pond is rather unusual. xxx

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful simple place to visit. I like how they keep visitors to a minimum. I would love to go there when we get there. We were rocked by a 7.2 earthquake well Sendai was. We felt it as we are 50 miles away. I called my BFF she’s fine . Kids thought it was the end though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness me, that's a big earthquake, I hope you're all safe and well! Our titchy one the other day was unsettling but nothing on that scale.
      Isn't that house gorgeous? xxx

      Delete
  9. such a cute house! and still with all the wonderful arts&crafts furniture! gorgeous!
    and you match the rhodis :-)
    camelias in the open air and rhododendron blooming in march..... you have indeed a very mild climate on your island!
    another trip? ts!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a magical place, the furnoiture was incredible, timelessly elegant and beautifully made, no nails, screws or glue!
      I think that part of Leicestershire must have its own micrclimate, I couldn't beleive how many plants were already flowering. xxx

      Delete
  10. I need to see this place! Beautiful! Thanks for capturing all the details. Those gorgeous old oak floorboards, the uneven, winding staircase, the bookcase and timeless window meadow views are just stunning. Love the bee hives too. I'm guessing the William Morris connection was part of the attraction for you - but what a find! I shall thumb through our handbook immediately! I love rhododendrons and there you go again, blending with your surroundings! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely charming and the tour is well worth joining - as the numbers are limited there were only five of us, including the guide. xxx

      Delete
  11. Love the Arts and Crafts Movement. That Orkney Chair is stunning and that tiny wee stairway. Did you climb up? Have a good weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen Orkney chairs on the Tv, that was my first real-life one!
      That stairway was the only way of accessing the upstairs so yes, we climbed up - wouldn't fancy that after a few beers! Hope you've got the same glorious sunshine as us! xxx

      Delete
  12. Ah, it looks brilliant!!! I would love to visit this beautiful place!
    You are looking resplendent in purple and turquoise- would have liked a close up of the prettiness and details!😁😁
    Isn't it a joy when Spring returns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely? What a wonderful holiday cottage it must have been for the Gimson's escaping the pollution of industrial Leicester!
      I've just added a close-up of my outfit, the lady on reception was so excited by how I was dressed she called the other volunteers over to have a look at me! xxx

      Delete
  13. As a lover of all things Arts and Crafts, I could definitely see myself living in that cottage. What a gorgeous place. Love that photo of you with those Rhododendrons as a backdrop. They really compliment your fabulous outfit. But aren't they incredibly early this year? We saw some in full bloom in Middelheim too.
    Ooh, and another week away booked too! How right you are. We'll be off to Bruges for a couple of days in just over a week. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful bolt-hole it must have been. I'd have loved to have lived at Stoneywell, too!
      We're amazed at how early things are flowering this year, even my agapanthus which usually does nothing until June is starting to green up.
      I'm excited for your trip to Bruges, that's soon rolled round. Not long till your big holiday now...eeekkkkk! xxx

      Delete
  14. What a fabulous property. I love everything about it, and the furniture is just beautiful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the furniture beautiful? Those Gimson pieces sell for thousands of pounds, we were so excited to be allowed to touch them! xxx

      Delete
  15. What a great day out you and Jon had. I love how your outfit coordinates with the flowers you are standing in front of. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful property. Looks like you had perfect weather for your visit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it gorgeous? 17°C and sunshine - perfection! xxx

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful place, with a fantastic back story. I the love Arts & Crafts movement. Such a great way to look at things, although Morris did not always practise what he preached. You and Jon are looking as fabulous as ever. What a wonderful outfit. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you! Stoneywell is utterly fabulous, I'd have happily moved myself in! xxx

      Delete
  18. What gorgeous photos! I love it all, but I'm especially keen on the pantry. We had one of a similar design, though much smaller, in our family home when I was a child.
    The Dollyrockers dress is lovely. I shall never be parted from mine 🙂
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved the little pantry and the stone stairs, cut from the rock. The house reminded me of The Cottage, the house I grew up in, on a grander (and more rural) scale! I'm so glad you still love that Dollyrockers dress! xxx

      Delete
  19. I love the way things in the house were arranged and shaped to work within the unusual contours of the walls and ceilings. The wooden door with the sides that taper inwards is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That door got me really excited, too! xxx

      Delete
  20. Gorgeous place. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, I'm in love with this organic and beautifully built house, the furniture, the details and sophisticated simplicity!. I'm a huge fan of Arts and Crafts!
    Love particularly your photos, and love how your outfit matches the flowers!, so fab lavender-purple dress and blue coat, loving this colour combo!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophisticated simplicity, that's a brilliant way of summing up Stoneywell, Monica! xxx

      Delete
  22. Nice to see the close up of your beautiful outfit. That blue leather coat is fabulous and the maxi dress is beautiful.
    Beautiful photos of your visit to Stoneywell. I love that it is built from the stone. I'm really passionate about stone houses and castles. Where I'm from all the houses used to be made from stones. Anyhow, Stoneywell does give the organic impression with its stone built, like it is a part of the landscape. Fascinating history lesson as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! I love that the house was built from local materials a, many of whilch were salvaged from other properties. xxx

      Delete
  23. What a glorious blue leather coat that is, Vix! That must be the one that you were reminded of when you saw my green one.

    I have never complained about too many pictures in a post, and pored over all of them. Thank you so much for sharing your and Jon's adventure with us! I love the organic feel of the house set in its beautiful grounds, and all the unusually shaped rooms, doors and nooks you found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! I'm always reminded of my coat whenever I see yours, I only seem to wear it in the Spring. xxx

      Delete
  24. What a beautiful home! I would love to spend a year in Britain looking at places like that! I did a quick online search and it seems we do have houses inspired by the Arts and Crafts style in Australia, but at a quick glance none seem so rustic and home made looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Arts and Crafts movement and the ethos behind it, it's so sad that it fell out of fashion so quickly but I suppose it was only the rich who could afford to furnish their homes in handmade pieces! xxx

      Delete
  25. Nice! I’ve not been to this NT place yet

    http://www.jenikya.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, what a beautiful looking place Vix. I have just fallen in love with those slate slab steps and whitewashed walls xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a fab place? I could easily live there! xxx

      Delete
  27. I love the wonky lines of the beams, and the way the pantry and staircase look almost organic with the irregular curves... despite being a new (relatively speaking, for Britain) building, it has the feel of one centuries older.

    I hope your week off was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it's just sprung out of the landscape, it's a wonderful place.
      We had a fab Spanish escape! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix