Sunday 20 March 2022

Charity Shopping, Films and a Trip to the Priory


Wednesday was a complete washout with incessant rain all day so we took ourselves off to the cinema and joined nine other people for the matinee performance of the The Duke which we absolutely loved - go & see it if you can. 


The reviews are spot-on. 


It was too wet for outfit photos which is a shame as the hand-embroidered Spanish dress I wore has yet to make an appearance on my blog. The evening was spent quaffing rum and cola and watching the final episode of The Ipcress File.


Thursday saw a trip out to one of our favourite Black Country towns for a bit of charity shopping. We came back with a 1970s crochet waistcoat, a 1980s Richards crinkle cotton maxi skirt, a 1980s Burton raincoat, a vintage snakeskin bag made in Toyko, a 1980s Frank Green block printed Indian maxi skirt, a 1970s Kumar Bros embellished cardi, a large collection of vintage bow ties, a 1980s Italian label metallic snakeskin clutch, a fabulous 1960s linen dress, a 1980s kilim bag, a 1970s midi dress from Debenhams, a handmade 1970s top, a 1950s fake astrakan coat and a novelty print 1980s jacket by Bassler.



I'm not sure what happened to my other leg! I wore another of my Dilli Grey dresses and my red leather Moshulu boots I'd scored in a charity shop last December. 


On Friday we visited Stoneywell, the Arts & Crafts cottage in Leicestershire which I blogged about HERE. Later we watched the brilliant - but harrowing - film, The Courier.


On Saturday, after pegging the washing out on the line and breakfasting on vegetarian sausage sandwiches slathered with wholegrain mustard, we drove over to Sandwell Valley Country Park for a walk in the glorious spring sunshine. It had been almost forty years since I'd last visited and Jon had never been.


 Covering an area of over 660 acres and extending from West Bromwich to the edge of Walsall, the park has woodland with many varieties of native trees and some introduced species, pools inhabited by wildfowl and two working farm visitor centres with walled gardens and rare breeds including Hereford cattle & Berkshire pigs. Managed by the Sandwell branch of the RSPB, Forge Mill Lake, also within the park, is an important breeding ground for lapwings and oystercatchers and also seemed very popular with squirrels which showed no fear.


Sandwell Valley Country Park was once the site of Sandwell Priory, a 12th Century Benedictine monastry, closed on the orders of Cardinal Wolsey in 1525, ten years before Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monastries. By 1705 the site had been redeveloped once again, as Sandwell Hall for the Earl of Dartmouth. From the late 19th century the hall was used as an asylum, and then in 1907, a home for boys, Sandwell Hall Industrial School for Mentally Defective Boys. In 1928 the building was demolished due to subsidence caused by mining from Sandwell Park (Jubilee) Colliery which employed over 600 miners.


Very little remains of the priory, although its ground-plan has been marked out and the lay-out of the church is quite clear. There are some low level walls of the structure and the remains of an open stone grave that resides in the eastern transept. The site is beside a footpath and is open to the public free of charge at all times.


Like with everywhere you visit in the Black Country, everyone smiled and said hello. A young woman went into raptures over my dress, a vintage Indian block printed gauzy cotton midi dress by Mayur. Too warm for a coat, I wore a 1970s denim cowboy shirt (on permanent loan from the Kinky Melon stockroom) and some ridiculous 1970s sunglasses from my collection.




Jon's in secondhand Levis with a cord worker jacket and Clarks boots, both charity shop finds. He was most upset when he couldn't find his Lock & Co leather cap last week and was delighted when he phoned Laboni, the Indian restaurant we'd been to after visiting the pub with Liz & Al, to be told by the owner that it was safe and sound. Even better that the boss lives in the next street and hand delivered it a few hours later.














What a gorgeous place - next time we'll go back with a picnic.

Flour-free peanut butter biscuits (recipe HERE)


The rest of the day - which saw temperatures reach the giddy heights of 17°C - was spent sorting out the garden and doing a bit of ....shock, horror....baking! I bit into the first one and managed to break my tooth, what luck that I'd already got a dentist appointment booked for next week, my first visit in almost  two and a half years!


The evening was spent with rum & TV. Keen to reacquaint ourselves with Crete we watched The Two Faces of January, the film adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's novel of the same name and then started watching Deadwind, a Finnish crime series that Vronni had recently mentioned on her blog.


Sunday brought more warmth and sunshine. After a bowl of porridge we drove down to the clearance charity shop and got there just as the staff were opening up.


Finds included The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsover and a travel journal called Hit the Road, Jac! about a woman who spent seven years travelling the world on a Royal Enfield as well as all three of Carol Drinkwater's books about her life on an olive farm in Provence (I read The Olive Farm when it was released, its been twenty years now so overdue a revisit). There was also a 1980s Thai silk shirt, a couple of teeshirts for Jon, a vintage snakeskin bag, some barely worn leopard print Converse All Stars and a Moschino skirt with a cool motorbike print (I wonder if it came from the same home as the book?)


I also got these pristine not-Converse pink pumps for £3 which matched the (second-hand) Dilli Grey Farah dress I was already wearing perfectly. Here's another pair of vintage sunglasses from my collection. 


Whilst I continued with my garden tidying, Jon ticked off a few more jobs on Gilbert's to-do list. Back indoors we booked the accomodation for our next escape, Jon sorted out the airport parking & I hunted down some reusable 100ml plastic bottles to decant our sunscreen into as, once again, we're opting to take hand luggage only. There's weeks to go but we like to be organised!

See you soon!

46 comments:

  1. I never know what shoes to wear with a dress but those pink not converse look lovely. I'm off to take a look at your biscuit recipe.. I feel a baking session is long overdue here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! I'd seen a photo online of a girl in a similar dress with rose pink Converse and loved the look, I was really excitred to find these this morning, it stops a dress from looking too dressed up and formal, doesn't it?
      Enjoy those biscuits - they're very more-ish! xxx

      Delete
  2. So glad you've been out and about enjoying the sunshine. Less glad that you've managed to break a tooth! Hope it's fixable! We went to Sandwell Valley with friends a few years ago, but it didn't look anywhere near as lovely as it does in your photos. I'm not sure which route they took us on. I didn't see any water for example and I was unaware of the history.
    Love the new pink non Converse shoes...and I'm envious of your sunglasses collection. I need a new pair but am hesitate to buy vintage online as I can't try them on and am never sure what protection they offer...I shall have to pick your brains. I really want to see The Duke too and have also now added Deadwind to my To Watch list. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd chipped that tooth the first week of lockdown, it must have known the dentist visit was imminent, thank goodness I've only got a few days to wait to get it sorted.
      Sandwell Valley is enormous, we used to go with my Dad when we were younger so he could test the boat was watertight before we went on the annual Devon sailing holiday, I had no idea about the ruined priory until I stumbled across it on a local history sight, I bet it would be a fabulous late night setting for a photoshoot!
      I do have a bit of a sunglasses fetish! xxx

      Delete
  3. I've read raving reviews of The Duke, so I'm glad to hear it met your approval. I'll probably wait until it's on TV, though, as I'm allergic to cinemas.
    Your one-legged photo made me giggle, but your Dilli Grey dress and red leather boots are a match made in heaven.
    I loved joining you on your trip to Sandwell Valley Country Park and the ruins of Sandwell Priory, and no wonder that woman was in raptures over your dress. And I can well imagine Jon's relief at his Lock & Co leather cap being safe and sound. I wish I'd had the same stroke of luck with my beloved Kangol beret left behind many years ago.
    Those biscuits do look delicious, but ouch about breaking your tooth.
    Great chazza finds, too. Those pink non-Converse trainers are gorgeous - I'd even overlook my hatred of those white soles for them - and match your final dress perfectly! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're really lucky, our cinema isn't one of those giant multiplexes - I detest those places. You'd love The Duke although Britian looks go grim back in the early 1960s.
      I'm not sure where my leg went - I'll have to sack the official photographer!
      Sandwell Valley reminded me of the lovely places you and Jos visit.
      I know - white soles! They work work well with pink though, don't they? xxx

      Delete
  4. I have my white converse pumps, but wish now that they aren't actually used on a court, they were a fun color.y girls both love Converse. I can understand the girl falling for your dress. That park is lovely. You have the best day trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to wear Converse a lot in the 1980s but had to abandon them as the flatness of the footbed did my hip no favours, they're just the thing with a summery dress when it's not quite sandal weather.
      That park is gorgeous, I can't believe I've not been for so many years! xxx

      Delete
  5. I love those 'not converse' pumps, so pretty and go beautifully with your Indian print dresses. Just googled 'the courier' had a feeling I had watched it but don't think so as checked ut the trailer - being based on a true story I just know it's going to be good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I was looking for a pink pair and up they popped as if by magic! The Courier is fantastic, it had me on the edge of my seat. I love a true story - The Duke was true, too. xxx

      Delete
    2. Looks like it's only available on Prime at the mo, I will have to be patient and hope it arrives on Netflix soon (annoyingly there is another film of same title but it's something else altogether)

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's a shame. I'm not sure if you've already seen Bridge of Spies, another amazing film based on a true story, I think that might be on Netflix (I've seen it four times, it's that good!) xxx

      Delete
    4. will take a look thanks :) sorry about the tooth by the way x

      Delete
  6. Another trip - exciting!! In the late 1960s, I had a hand made beigey crotcheted dress. God I loved it. And a hand made 1920s crotchet head hugging skull cap. Both exquisite. I married a avery conservative man who just couldn't cope with me being different, and so out they eventually went, for the sake of peace.... and no, the marriage didn't last. Should have just wrapped them up in the back of the wardrobe........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! We are so naughty!
      I love the sound of the beige crochet dress and the head-hugging skull cap, the ex-husband not so much (thak goodness he's an ex!) I hope your outfit ended up in a thrift shop and gave another woman years of pleasure. xxx

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed learning about Sandwell valley with you. It looks a pleasant and interesting place! What a relief over Jon's hat. I'm still waiting and hoping to get back my black knitted waistcoat after I left it at someone's 2019 New Year party. I hope she still has it!!
    I like the way you teamed the pink Converse with the dress. I have a pair of black not-Converse I like to wear Also!
    You did well in the chazzers- that Crocheted waistcoat is excellent and very currently fashionable, apparently! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely place for a wander. I loved how atmospheric the old priory was and can't believe nobody has nicked that lovely lion's head spout, either.
      I love the Supergas I wore on holiday and was worried about spoiling them by wearing them too often, these cheapo non-Converse are just the ticket! xxx

      Delete
  8. looks like a wonderful day out in the country - full of sunshine and cute animals :-)
    interesting that the abbey was a victim of the mining......
    spring seems in full swing at yours mesured on the light clothing you´r wearing - the dress you presented single legged is my favourite today.
    The Two Faces of January got raving reviews here in the local newspaper.....
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gorgeous, I can't believe that I've not visited for so many years, we're going back with a picnic next time. we can even get there on the bus - bonus!
      The mornings have been really frosty but by mid-morning it's been glorious. It makes me glad to be alive.
      I stalked that dress until I spotted an offer, I love the bodice. xxx

      Delete
  9. The Poisonwood Bible is my fave Barbara Kingsolver. My eldest granddaughter wears those black and white high top Converse to school. They're the rage apparently but by jingo, ultra-expensive!Ask me how I know! I really admire you and M'lud's adventurous spirits and your enthusiasm for travel. Can't wait to see the next destination in your travel journal. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning The Poisonwood Bible when I read The Lacuna, if it's half as good as that book I'm in for a treat!
      I was shocked at how expensive Converse are - the pair I wore to death in the 1980s can't have been more than a tenner ! xxx

      Delete
  10. I prefer wearing 'non-dress shoes' with dresses and skirts and love it when others do the same - converse or doc M are my go to choice :)
    I think I have made your biscuits before - will go and check the link, it is the sort of thing my other half would happily scoff in a heartbeat :D

    I have already typed this once before (followed your link to the peanut butter biscuits) then promptly shut down the wrong page 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! Blogger's having a moment today, I wrote a long involved comment this morning only for it to dispear into the ether.
      I'm with you on the non-dress shoes - I love mixing casual with fancy and there's no point in any footwear if you can't run for a bus! I've never been very keen on shoes - boots, sandals, clogs...the clumpier the better!
      Those bisocuits are fab, I've sent a few round to a friend whose come down with the draeded Covid, he's just phoned to say they're bosting! High praise, indeed! xxx

      Delete
  11. I thought for a moment there you'd gone to rehab...

    Sandwell Valley Country Park looks like a fab place for a visit. I was hoping to see some photos of the lapwings and the oystercatchers! Oystercatchers have a piping call/whistle and the lapwings (also known as peewits) make that sound 'pee - wit' so maybe you heard them rather than saw them? I can get very excited about birds much to my daughter's bafflement.

    Didn't you do well in the chazzas? Lovely finds; especially the block printed maxi skirt. Sorry to hear about your tooth; hope the dentist can sort it for you. Both your outfits looked lovely; the Converse plimsolls/pumps/sneakers were an excellent buy and they go with everything. Fab sunglasses. I remember wearing some huge 70s style ones when my children were teenagers and one of their friends fell about laughing when he saw the size of them.

    The biscuits looked delicious.

    I like the look of 'The Courier' and 'The Two Faces of January'.

    You can never be too prepared...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I doubt if I could afford to!
      I heard those calls when we were in the woods and wondered which bird they belonged to. We've got a book on Indian birds and can sit on the balcony in Goa for ages looking them up, I can't wait to go back and do the same again.
      Thank goodness that maxi skirt is too big or I'd have been forced to keep it!
      I've inherited my Mum's love of ridiculous sunglasses, I always searching for them in chazzas. xxx

      Delete
  12. You always find lovely things in charity shops. Your Dilly Grey dress is fabulous and so are the boots (even if only one is visible). Beautiful outfit.
    Thanks for the movie recommendation. You reminded me that I wanted to see The Courier but forgot about it. I've watched The Power of The Dog recently and didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. Benedict was wonderful as always in his role, but the whole time I felt like the plot was lacking something. Based on the reviews, it seems they left a good part of the book from the film and that made it a bit confusing.

    Sandwell Valley Country Park looks like a great place to visit. How cute are those squirrels! Your maxi skirt paired with a denim shirt looks great. Cute sunnies as well. I love your outfit with the pink non Converse too. I have a pair of non Converse too. I vowed never to buy Converse (maybe second hand) because they're silly expensive for something made of denim and a bit of rubber. I don't mind paying for quality sneakers but I do for brand name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivana! I hope you can track down The Courier. I've heard good things about Power of the Dog and Benedict Cumberbatch is a magnificent actor but the plotlinr doesn't really appeal.
      I agree about not spending a fortune on canvas and rubber, who cares if something doesn't have a label emblazoned over it as long as it's comfy (they they are!) xxx

      Delete
  13. Was so pleased to hear that you loved Stoneywell. Can't wait to see it for myself when we're up that way on holiday in the summerxx
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Duke and The Two Faces of January look both really appealing, same for those series. I'd love to go to the movies frequently again!.
    Lovely to see you wandering in the park and looking so fab in your gauze dress and denim shirt!, perfect sunshine!
    And also lovely no-converse pumps matching your beautiful dress, looking delightfully summery!
    Great news that you're getting ready for travels and fun!. I still remember the joys of cabin luggage, I've collected any small reusable plastic container for years!.
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed the cinema so much. Nothing beats seeing a film on a big screen!
      It's so good to cast off the coat and wander about with bare legs again. I'm sure it won't last but I'm enjoying every moment that I can! xxx

      Delete
  15. I had not heard of the film "The Duke" and it has two of my favourite actors so thank you for the heads up. Deadwind is also on my "to be watched" list so I'll be interested to hear what you think.

    It's lovely to see so much green over there. We are still at the brown stage until we get a few more warmer days.

    Good heavens, I'm sorry to hear about the tooth - just how hard were those cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd love The Duke. I love Jim Broadbent in anything and Helen Mirren's amazing, too. It's a real feel-good film!
      I'd chipped that tooth last year but it didn'ty bother me too much, I think it must have known that I'd a dentist appointment imminent! xxx

      Delete
  16. Oh, no, a broken tooth? Get that sorted out ASAP, Vix! I love peanut butter cookies, but never make them (because I eat them!).

    Love seeing all your pictures of these amazing adventure spots you and Jon visit. I'm so glad he got his leather cap back - L also tends to leave his caps in bars (hmmm, I wonder if there's a connection...booze...lol).

    I guess you would call those shoes "non-Cons", right? ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sorted - phew! Thank goodness it happened now and not during the height of lockdown where people were reduced to extracting their own teeth as they couldn't access any NHS dentists!
      Those biscuits are too good - I rationed myself to three. I could easily have eaten the lot.
      I think headwear and booze are a dangerous combination! xxx

      Delete
  17. Oh crap, I hope your tooth isn't much trouble to fix. I'm having a broken tooth dealt with this week too-I'll think of you when I'm in the dentist's chair.
    Glad Jon was able to get his cap back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I'm sorry you've got a broken tooth, too. I hope yours gets fixed quickly and painlesly! xxx

      Delete
  18. The country park looks beautiful and I am going to have to bake some of those cookies just as soon as I buy some more peanut butter :) I'll be careful when I eat them (hope you get your tooth sorted quickly).
    I'm happy Jon was able to get his cap returned. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tooth is all sorted now, tahnsk Jules! Those biscuits are delicious, though! xxx

      Delete
  19. I do want to see The Duke! I didn't know The Courier was that dark, it looked like a comedy from the trailers!

    What a beautiful place! A shame about its dark history, but perhaps it is at peace now, it certainly looks peaceful!

    The Two Faces of January looks interesting! I enjoy a good period drama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see The Duke. Yes, The Courier is a gripping, on the edge of your seat thriller - just how I like 'em! xxx

      Delete
  20. Hello Flamingo Vix, woah, a cinema, that's a bit alien :0 ! Sorry to hear of your tooth. Even knowing this, I would still risk it for those yummy looking biscuits. You look so lovely in your sunny dresses :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been rather partial to a flamingo! xxx

      Delete
  21. How nice of the restauranteur to bring Jon's cap back. That's customer service and then some!

    Hand luggage only is a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, such a kind thing to do.
      We're going to have decanting our sun screen into 100ml bottles but we love the all-day protection stuff, something I can't find for a decent price outside of the UK! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix