As it had been eight months since we last visited Attingham Park (HERE), a return trip was well overdue. A forty-minute drive from home, Attingham Park was built in 1785 for Noel Hill, 1st Baron Berwick who received his title a year earlier during the premiership of William Pitt the Younger, in recognition for being instrumental in the reorganisation of the East India Company. The Whig MP for Shrewsbury, Lord Berwick already owned a house on the site of Attingham Park called Tern Hall, but with the money he received along with his title he commissioned the architect George Steuart to design a new and grander house to be built around the original hall.
Let wealth be his who knows its use.
Noel Hill, 1st Baron Berwick (1745 – 1789)
It may be the middle of winter but we spotted rhubarb, sprouts, parsnips, perpetual spinach and chard thriving.