Sunday 7 November 2021

Trust In Me - Revisiting Wightwick

On Friday we decided that a National Trust trip was long overdue so we grabbed our membership cards and fired up Patrice. Our destination was the magnificent shrine to the Arts and Crafts movement, Wightwick Manor (pronounced Witt-ick), a 12-mile drive from our front door. We'd last visited in July 2021 (HEREwhen we'd wandered around the garden in the glorious sunshine.


On Friday morning we'd woken up to the first frost of the season, so it was thermals and boots this time round.











Wightwick Manor was gifted to the National Trust in 1937 by then owner, Geoffrey Mander, the first house given under the country house scheme which had been introduced a few months earlier. Sir Geoffrey continued to live in the house with his wife, Lady Mander, opening the building to the public on Thursday afternoons. As the property got more popular the National Trust provided helpers to welcome guests and offer guided tours.


Wightwick Manor was a survivor of the fickle nature of fashion. Its Aesthetic Movement interiors, heavy with the designs by William Morris and his associates, had almost been lost in the 1920s but found new life in the 1930s and 40s. With its barley twist brick chimneys and oak framed white-washed walls, the design of the house looked to be something from five centuries earlier, rather than just five decades old. 



When the wealthy industrialist, Theodore Mander, commissioned the building of a new manor on Wightwick Bank in the Old English style in 1887 he started the Mander family's love for Victorian art & design which would unfold over a century of collecting and preservation. However, his untimely death in 1900 left the care and development of the new home to his eldest son, Geoffrey (1882 - 1962). Educated at Harrow & Cambridge, Sir Geoffrey Le Mesurier Mander served in the Royal Flying Corps in WWI and was a practising lawyer. He entered the Houses of Parliament as a Liberal MP for Wolverhampton West in 1929. He was chairman for the family firm, Mander Brothers, for a generation, a major manufacturer of paints, inks and varnishes in the British Empire.

Sir Geoffrey Mander remarried in 1930. His new wife, Rosalie Glynn Grylls, gave up her ambitions to be a Liberal MP and focused her attention on English literature and art. Starting with a biography of Mary Shelley, her surroundings at Wightwick soon inspired her to research the Pre-Raphaelites, especially Rossetti. Rosalie was a great cat lover - this photo takes pride of place in the sitting room.

Is it just me or does that big boy look a bit like Frank?

Wightwick had no Pre-Raphaelite art prior to 1937. Once the house was put into the care of the National Trust, Sir Geoffrey and Lady Mander started to buy art to put on display for their visitors. The first was a portrait of Jane Morris by Rossetti (the redhead in the collage below). Over time a unique collection developed, with some major pieces supplied by the National Trust, and small works and sketches either purchased or donated. The collection has over 70 works by D.G Rossetti; 50 by Edward Burne-Jones; 23 by Evelyn De Morgan and 20 by Millais. 


Surprisingly William Morris never came to the house, nor did his company formally design for it. Instead, all the wallpapers, fabric wall coverings and soft furnishings were bought through the Morris & Co shop or catalogue.






Unlike the artwork, Morris & Co designs were included in the 1887 and 1893 buildings. However, they were much enhanced after the 1937 saving of the property, when Sir Geoffrey expanded the Manor's Morris collection. This included sketches for Morris designs, as well as large items of furnishings, such as carpets and curtains.






Within the grounds of Wightwick Manor, the Malthouse gallery is run in partnership with the De Morgan Foundation, displaying drawings and paintings by the pioneering female artist, Evelyn De Morgan (1855-1919), and the creations of her husband, the pre-eminent ceramic designer, William De Morgan (1839-1917).  The Foundation annually rotates the collection between three sites so the exhibits on display were different to the ones we'd seen on our last visit.











Wightwick's gardens are beautiful all year round.  Whilst we wandered about admiring the wonderful Autumnal colours, the gardeners were hard at work planting hundreds of bulbs. We're already looking forward to revisiting in the Spring.






With booking no longer required, Friday's visit was very much spur-of-the-moment and I'd dressed in minutes, pulling out some trusty old favourites from the wardrobe, a maxi dress bought from Anokhi in Jaipur in 2019, the vintage velvet jacket I'd had for years and my plum fedora. I was taken aback by the compliments I got paid by visitors and National Trust volunteers alike who all said that I couldn't have looked more appropriate for the setting.




The National Trust says that nature is a source of comfort, offering space where we can slow down and take stock. Gardens bursting with colour, woodlands shaded by leafy canopies, the simplicity of a rushing stream and panoramic drama in the skies – these can answer our need for quiet and inspiration. They're not wrong. Being amongst nature really is a balm for the soul.


Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the thoughtful words, emails and messages you sent us after the sudden loss of our beautiful boy, Frank. Your kindness means everything.


54 comments:

  1. Out of all the properties that you and his lordship have visited, I think this is, hands down, my absolute favourite. I could quite happily live there. Imagine having real live Rossetti's hanging on your wall! Simply stunning. As you were in that fabulous outfit. You absolutely do fit right in to the surroundings. Have a better week, both and Stephen Squirrel. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the perfect house, isn't it? I could stare at those De Morgan ceramics for hours. xxx

      Delete
  2. I always found nature to be a source of comfort, and particularly so in Autumn. The Autumn colour in the garden is magnificent. As is Wightwick Manor itself, which I would dearly love to visit in person one day. Those volunteers and visitors were right, you do look as if you belong there. Wild horses couldn't have dragged me away from that gallery, and yes, that big boy does bear an uncanny resemblance to Frank! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it won't be too long before you visit Wightwick, we shall be delighted to show you round when you do!! xxx

      Delete
  3. hi Vix, your Wightwick Manor visit looks fab! Im glad you found comfort in the gardens, and nature generally. You thank us for our kindness but really I don't think you realise how much kindness you spread yourself. During the pandemic you gave us the opportunity to engage with your generosity and love and you were unstinting in sharing your life with us. Now that we are, hopefully, coming out of the otherside I just think that if the world could be, "a bit more Vix" we would be so much happier and caring. Certainly the climate problems would be lessened. So when you need support I'm honoured to be able to offer a little comfort if that can help in some small way. No thanks needed! Look after yourselves. Shelagh XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shelagh, what kind words. You made me cry when I read them.
      Thank you so much for always saying the right thing. xxx

      Delete
  4. Wightwick really is a special place. I’m glad you were able to take some comfort there. It has a special place in my heart because I went with an old friend who has now passed away.
    Life really is precious. Love, Annie Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Annie! Bittersweet memories for you having visited Wightwick with your dear friend. It is such a lovely place, it has such a homely and inviting feel to it. I can imagine it full of cats! xxx

      Delete
  5. That's an interesting place and I do like a William Morris print. You look lovely in the velvet jacket and your hair is looking very healthy and pretty. Yes, the cat in the picture is like a reverse mirror image of Frank, must have felt a bit strange to happen upon it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I've seen that photo before but his similarity to Frank didn't click previously.
      Wightwick is stunning, that jumble of textures, patterns and colour are so cosy and inviting. xxx

      Delete
  6. Those sleeves! 😍
    And yes, there is something gently healing and cathartic about being in nature xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is! I think I've noticed it even more over the last 20 months! xxx

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous place to visit. The photos are glorious. I will go over it again with a tooth comb later. Lucky you got there while there was so much colour in the foliage. That would have been a great way to take your mind off Frank. Not that seeing the photo would have helped. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally! I went a bit mad with the photos, enjoy a leisurely browse when you have the time. xxx

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful place to wander and dream and start to heal. Jon looks regal in the doorway. The autumn color's are nearly gone here so seeing the pictures is a nice reminder of the beautiful fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! It was a wonderful place to escape our sadness. xxx

      Delete
  9. Oh no, I didn't know about Frank! I am so sorry.
    I agree about nature being healing. It really is.
    You look beautiful and very apt for such a gorgeous setting- the art works really are wonderful!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kezzie. Being outdoors really is a tonic, I even enjoy sweeping up leaves, even though I moan about it at the time! xxx

      Delete
  10. Lovely seeing you both out and about. Outdoors does lift a heavy heart - and the colours so are stunning at this time of year. Wightwick Manor is such a romantic treasure box.

    The picture of Jane Morris is a bit sad - Rossetti died leaving left her unfinished - the painting was completed by Ford Madox Brown (another Pre-Raphaelite) who gave her red hair for some reason (Jane had black hair). It wasn't skillfully completed - poor Mr Madox Brown had a stroke and was painting with his non-dom hand (hence the dodgy ear and hand). I've probably mentioned it before - but if you've an interest in the women artists, sculptors, inventors, models, wives, sisters and muses - Kirsty Stonell Walker's Pre Raphaelite Girl Gang is the book for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being outside, there's nothing like layering up and stomping about outdoors!
      Oh dear, that's sad about Madox Brown. Apparently the Manders decided to amass as much Pre-Raphelite art as they could so future generations who visited the house could enjoy it. They scoured junk shops and flea markets up and down the country. That Rosetti cost them £16!
      I shall look for that book rightaway! xxx

      Delete
  11. You were indeed dressed perfectly for the visit. Just the thought of hundreds of bulbs being planted is exciting. I do hope you go back in the spring to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to revisit in Spring when those bulbs are out! xxx

      Delete
  12. Wow, so amazing, the building, the interior, and the gardens - ethereal. Yes, Vix - you do indeed look as though you belong there. xxxxxxxx But mysteriously, you also looked like you belonged in Greece in your recent holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No doubt Vix, Rosalie's cat had the same steady gaze as Frank's and very similar faces, both beautiful. My sympathy to you and Jon, Frank is so lovely to look at. Thanks for another wander around Wightwick; I think a lot of us who visit you and Jon here share a certain 'sensibility'. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen. Frank's steady gaze was almost human at times, I shall alway remember it. xxx

      Delete
  14. I would love to spend a day there. But sometime I see artist making political statement in there work.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, that looks stupendous (as do you 🥰). At 200 miles each way it is a bit far for a day trip, but perhaps next summer?

    Take care of yourselves, lots of self-TLC and gentleness is prescribed. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jayne! Bill might enjoy a road trip to Wightwick via Shropshire - a very near neighbour! xxx

      Delete
  16. That house is stunning, it feels even more stunning This time of year. It is my favourite season before the least favourite season of mine is here and SAD is upon me yet again clouding my mind. We still have Frank the pumpkin on duty at the door he was for Halloween but he is still going strong as are the small squahes I bought from the florist.
    You always look amazing whatever you wear. And that artwork was so mucha inspired I loved it. Take care and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are kind! I'm glad Frank the pumpkin is doing a good job!
      I know what you mean, I loathe the winter as well especially with no escape to India to look forward to but take heart, it's only 6 weeks until the days start getting longer. xxx

      Delete
  17. oh the beauty!!!
    the parks - true words about nature! - the stunning house inside and out - the exhibition and .... YOU! you´r arts&crafts on legs in this outfit!
    imagine sitting in that fireplace den and drinking tea and chatting the winter away......
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fabulous? A minimalist's nightmare! xxx

      Delete
  18. A very enjoyable visit and what a beautiful property. The older I get I find I am appreciating old buildings more and more, previously much preferring the gardens instead. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely plcae, the gardens are gorgeous but the house is so cosy and homely. I could quite easily move in. xxx

      Delete
  19. Sumptuous is the word that came to mind, and I cannot remember another time Sumptuous has come to mind! An Autumnal aesthetic apotheosis (you've popped the cork on the fifty cent words.)
    Very sorry to hear that your dashing Frank passed. You have my sincere sympathy. (Recently got my first dog and have already wept at the thought of losing him.) By way of a token, here is an artist I hope you will enjoy as I do: https://youtu.be/ekFWPsXXcg0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth! Sumptuous sums Wightwick up perfectly!
      Thank you for your kind words and the You Tube link. I love John Grant, I've seen him play live three times! xxx

      Delete
  20. Oh I do love this place! We must get there one day soon. We visited Blickling Hall in Norfolk on Sunday; another spur of the moment decision with no booking required - hurrah!

    You and Lord Jon certainly look to the manor born...

    Have a great week
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love it, Vronni! There's a charity shop round the corner, too!
      Blickling Hall rings a bell, I'm off to Google it! xxx

      Delete
  21. It does look Wonderful Vix-and Rosalie's big boy strangely like your Frank- when one of my beloved dogs died I was bereft after a few weeks went on holiday in Dorset-It was a hot day and I popped into an ice cream parlour for a doggy ice cream when I glanced at the cardoard tub I was shocked to see a picture of a dog it-looking so much like my beloved one even wearing a red collar as he did and wearing a green coat -he wore a green parka when it was cold or raining xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Flis. How strange that must have been to see your beloved dog's twin on the ice-cream tub. Things like that are such a comfort, aren't they? Almost like a message from the other side. xxx

      Delete
  22. What a beautiful house. I love the kitchen and all the William Morris patterns. The ceilings are so like the ones in Gawthorpe Hall that we recently visited.
    The folk are right you do look perfectly dressed for the surroundings and Lord Jon looks at home as always.
    I didn’t manage to retrieve the lost blog post. I’m gutted and hoping that it doesn’t happen again
    Keep warm you two xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gawthorpw Hall is on our list, it looks uttely gorgeous.
      You'd love Wightwick, it's got such a homely feel to it, despite the grandeur. It's all those clashing textiles and colours. Much more inviting than some dull, white, minimalist box!
      I read your post on Facebook before it vanished - how very odd! xxx

      Delete
    2. Let us know when you plan to visit Gawthorpe and we can meet up.
      I’ve not solved the vanishing blog post problem xxx

      Delete
  23. Jon's expression as he stood breathing in fresh air on the porch...! This impromptu outing was needed as an exercise in healing aching hearts and weary bodies.

    'Tho not a fan of Rosetti (his models appear to be floating on a cloud of Ambien), I do revel in the richness of the Morris fabrics and the depth of colors in Artsy Crafty ceramics. But the most marvelous colors in this post are provided by nature: the pumpkins and squash in the kitchen and the water lillies on the lake.

    You were indeed an ornament to the scene in that ensemble, Vix. A charming picture, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon does look very at one with nature, doesn't he?
      I love the Pre-Raphelite women, I think it's their bony faces, unruly and huge hands and feet, they're my tribe!
      Those pumpkins and squash had been grown in Wightwick's garden, a feast for the eyes! xxx

      Delete
  24. Yes, nature can be such a comfort. National Trust is right there. This estate is gorgeous. I can see why you revisited it. I'm sure I would enjoy it. I love Pre-Raphelite painting. Gorgeous female portraits with long hair, just my kind of art!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad that you were comforted by the beautiful autumn landscapes and the healing power of Art, this house is like a dream come true!, the delightful designs, pictures, furniture and the façade itself is gorgeous!
    No wonder you received some compliments, you were looking appropriately fabulous!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is pretty much my dream house - I know it's considered a bit twee nowadays but I adore the Arts and Crafts stuff. That De Morgan fish vase is gorgeous. I'd find shelf space for it...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooooh, what a beautiful place - I would have swooned over the gorgeous woodwork and art. You are perfectly attired for the setting. I think the cat in the photo looks like Frank too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Not the newest entry and not sure I can @Forest City Fashionista? But I also so very much enjoyed your blog! If you resumed posting at https://www.forestcityfashionista.com, I for sure couldn't be the only one relishing a view from your window, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix