Thursday 15 July 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 14th & 15th July, 2021


On Wednesday, after my Wii Fit workout, I wrapped my overnight sales, photographed and listed a few things on eBay and put on a load of washing which Jon pegged out once he was up. After breakfast, we headed off for our weekly National Trust adventure which, for the first time in 16 months, we didn't have to book in advance and, as it's the nearest property to home, we didn't need a packed lunch either.


The divine Wightwick Manor (pronounced wit-tick) on the outskirts of Wolverhampton city centre is a mere twelve-mile drive from home. Built in 1887, it is a rare survivor of the Arts and Crafts movement and was gifted to the National Trust in 1937 by the wealthy industrialist and radical liberal MP, Sir Geoffrey Mander and his wife, Lady Mander.


Despite not needing to book in advance, the gardens weren't too busy but the queue for the manor itself snaked along the courtyard but, as only the downstairs was open and we'd been inside back in November (HERE) we'd already decided to give it a miss until the next time.


I wore another of my vintage maxi dresses that hadn't seen the light of day in far too long. I bought this Dollyrockers cotton sundress back in 2010, the last time it made an appearance on the blog was in September 2019 when we were road tripping around Corfu. (HERE)


Mock Tudor gets a bad rep in the UK. It's usually associated with ostentatious new builds on "executive" housing estates. Wightwick's pseudo-Tudor frontage is a lot more classy and easy on the eye.


The planting scheme at Wightwick is astonishingly good, with wonderful beds packed with inspirational colour combinations and, of course, it's the place where we fell in love with roses, huge, blousy sweet-smelling blooms, wild, colourful and out of control.


In normal times this thatched hut is filled with books and visitors are encouraged to sit and read for as long as they like.











After seeing these beauties, Foxtail lilies go straight to the top of our gardening wish list!







Wightwick's Bear's Breeches are magnificent. You can buy them in their shop if they don't grow wild behind the shed in your garden, like ours did!  



I love Mexican Fleabane and am wildly envious of this magnificent display. 




Within minutes of posing for this photo, a freak gust of wind blew my hat off and into a bed of roses. Jon, ever the gentleman, risked life and limb (and multiple scratches) to retrieve it!


 We were back in time for lunch and hurriedly ate our noodles before stripping off and spending the remainder of the day on the lawn, basking in the sunshine. Later we ate cheese, pickles and olive bread and spent the evening drinking rum and watching two episodes of the six-part documentary series on Ernest Hemingway on the BBC i-Player.

SOURCE

On Thursday morning I had a wander around the garden, picked a fistful of strawberries and noted with joy that my first ever dahlia (grown from seed) had burst forth and my 10p petunias, marigolds and Fuschia had also started to flower.


The bees were already enjoying the alliums.



I mopped the hearth and swept the lounge floor, did my Wii Fit workout and caught up with blogland before Jon joined me for breakfast. We're enjoying some fabulous weather this week and although the day had started off cloudy, it was touching 23°C. I sorted some stock out from the shed, ironed it and photographed it leaving Jon to trawl Facebook Marketplace for adverts for free bricks and garden rubble. 


He got lucky with the first advert and dashed out to go and collect a vanload from a house a couple of miles ago. I listed my stock on eBay then did some weed pulling in the garden (bindweed & brambles, the bane of my life!)


Jon returned with his rubble at around the same time as Richard the postman bearing parcels. Another pair of Lottas! Some elusive gold leather ones sold out on the website. They haven't even been worn.


 One of my top eBay tips is to always select Seller's Other Items if you find something that catches your eye. I'd seen a skirt I rather liked but when I clicked on the link I was flabbergasted. The seller had some incredible (and cheap) pieces by high-end European designers all in my size. I can only assume she's a stylist or a model & given them for free to be able to sell them at those prices!


Founded by Cristel Boniface, Stella Forest focuses on sustainability with a passion for travel-inspired garments. Her clothes are created in India at a factory she has worked with for over 20 years and finished by hand in her Parisian workshop. She has boutiques throughout France. This silk maxi dress originally retailed at £295. The Ancient Greek "Eleftheria" braided leather sandals are handmade in Greece and retail at £145. The Masscob velvet jacket with ethnic braiding retails at £480 and there's currently a waiting list for it! Masscob is a Spanish label, which started in La Corona in 2003 and focuses on vintage style as opposed to trend-led fashion, they have branches in Palma de Mallorca, Madrid and Barcelona.
 
My clogs, jacket, dress and sandals cost the equivalent of a new pair of Lottas!


We had a break for noodles and then he got stuck in, unloading the van and wheeling it up the garden to form a base for the new mega-shed. He could buy seven tons of sub-base from the local builders' merchant but that would cost around £200. This way might take a week or so but it's free!



After I'd planted out more of Jon's seedlings and watered them in I adjourned to the lawn and started on my next book, Earthly Pleasures, the epic tale of John Tradescant, a Tudor gardener in the employ of Lord Robert Cecil during the reign of James I.


Jon brought me out a cold beer and Stephen joined me. He loves the sun.


Tea will be halloumi with roasted veg seasoned with rosemary from the garden. Later we'll be watching more of Ernest Hemingway and getting excited about a day out with friends tomorrow, we haven't seen them in almost two years!

See you soon.

17 comments:

  1. What lovely bargains you managed to find on ebay.
    Loving this sunshine, just been out watering all my new plants.
    Could you tell me where you ordered your crocs only I'm thinking I'd like some for wearing around the house!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it glorious? Long may this weather last! I bet your new plants are loving it.
      My Crocs were from their official website: crocs.co.uk. Free shipping and they take around a week to arrive! xxx

      Delete
  2. You're always interesting, Vix, with your clothes, make-up, home, dolls house, garden, historical sites, and food. I really enjoy reading your posts and getting wee hints off them such as your ebay hint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful National Trust adventure, and I love the dress you wore that day. Lots of great finds too. It sure looks like Jon will be busy for a while with that base for the new shed. It made me tired just thinking of unloading it all. Enjoy your day out with friends tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon's on the right track to pick up the free bricks. My sister wanted some sitting areas in her yard so she wouldn't have to put chairs on the gress( the legs stick in the dirt) She'd go to her favotrie salvage yard every couple of weeks and get fancy pavers for 25-50 cents a piece. She now has 2 lovely sitting areas that cost maybe $20 each.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those shoes look so comfy.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I have noticed how much busier places have become, I had to buy an extra suitcase yesterday opps!! The guy in the shop Humored me, until my parents butted in and said I was going home to Japan then his face just dropped like lead. I have even checked with the airline and they have told me their is no extra charge for extra luggage as there is only 50 people on the flight that normally carries over 350!! Scary!!
    I do feel sad but like you sad I need to go home, I am so home sick it is unreal. I love the gardens, I just want to walk round shinjuku goyen when I get back and out of isolation. I thought Jon was smoking a pipe in one of them lol!!
    I bet you didn’t know in Japan we can have short clawed otters as pets and they are fab as well. We nearly got a pair. But I don’t really like the smell of fresh fish, so I declined maybe in the future, plus in Japan we are very strict on what pets we can have we even have to have house visits and sign lots of care contracts and if there is any sign of abuse you go to jail and get a 50,0000 yen fine!! So yeah think twice! But I do miss Dottie and the kids said that hiro has a suprise for me!
    I have a thing for filas I have a about 10 pairs and counting. I bought 5 whilst I was here!! But you are right about eBay. I have lots of sellers saved and I always look. Keep safe love and hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did not know that you no longer have to pre-book a NT visit, thanks for that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are most definitely not sharing weather, as it's been truly horrendous here. I've only made it into the garden for the first time in days today, and everything is looking quite drowned. Still, can't complain as at least we haven't been flooded ...
    Wightwick Manor's garden is looking magnificent. Look at those wigwams of Sweet Peas, and I think I could wile away some time reading in that thatched hut! I'm loving that photo of you standing with your back to us, holding on to that lovely hat of yours. I'm glad to hear Jon was kind enough to retrieve it for you. And oh, that Dollyrockers dress almost made me choke up, as you were wearing it when we last met!
    The gold Lottas are gorgeous and so are the Stella Forest maxi and the velvet jacket, all fantastic scores.
    I was wondering what Jon was up to with the free bricks and rubble, so I'm glad that's been revealed now. I've seen that Philippa Gregory book in the chazzas, if it's good I might pick it up next time, in spite of my already sky-high reading pile! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a lovely day out with your friends...more normality.

    What a beautiful looking house and the gardens are fab. I loved the carvings and those steps where you posed were magnificent. You looked magnificent, too. in your lovely maxi dress. The Foxtail foxgloves looked amazing and I'd never heard of them or seen them before - everyday's a school day!

    Fab finds on eBay; everything you bought looks wonderful.

    I like Phillipa Gregory and this book sounds very interesting; I'll add it to my list of 'books to be found' when I'm out rummaging.

    Enjoy the weather.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. the estate is awesome! beautiful woodwork and details on the house and and a garden to fall in love with........
    and you´r matching the scenery perfectly in your pretty dress!
    fabulous finds on ebay for you! can´t wait to see you in the silk dress.
    clever to search for 2.hand building material - the BW does this too - it saved us a lot of money and the earth from landfill.
    how exiting to meet friends after such long time!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the vintage dress you wore to the nearest National Trust estate. How great you didn't need to pack lunch to visit it. It does look lovely, with the Tudor front and the lovely gardens.
    Earthly Pleasures sounds like a lovely book! Perfect for someone who loves gardening and history. That photo of you reading in your garden basking in the sunshine is simply divine. Stephen is really cute as well. Cats need their vitamin D too.

    P.S. Those golden Lottas are so pretty. Such a great pair! You always find the best things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those gold lottas are fabulous - what a collection you now have! You have such lovely days out and this week's trip was a joy to see, a slightly overgrown garden - those beautiful windows. You look so pretty on the lawn in your bikini :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Dollyrockers dress is gorgeous. I'm always in awe at your sense of style. I have fallen into that dreadful habit of wearing just what is comfortable, whatever I look like.
    You've encouraged me to look at planning some NT visits for over the summer, although with the hot weather forecast, I think I'll be putting up the paddling pool and staying home for the next few days. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous photos of you Vix in the red ribboned hat. Fox tail lilies are just great, so dramatic. Great brick find by Jon and I love your gold lottas! Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great set of eBay bargains. I've done the same before, looking at other items!
    I got a couple of super items in the chazzers yesterday. I wanted a cotton checked dress and there were 4 to choose from!
    The gardens and the Foxtail lilies are marvellous! So pretty and clever!
    That is great about the builder's rubble!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, how amazing to find a seller who had all those "Vix things" in your size! What scores! Your Lottas look identical in construction to my Hasbeens - same caramel interior, ridges in the wood, and staples, even the buckles.

    That is a gorgeous Trust property. I am a big fan of that Tudor finishing (we have a bit of "mock Tudor" here, due to our Merry Olde Englande reputation (roll-eyes)), and those lush gardens are amazing. I can almost smell the heady scent of the roses! How nice of Jon to fetch your hat!

    I love that you're sourcing out materials for the new shed, and I full approve of you basking in the sun with Sir Stephen, reading while Jon works. Lol!

    Happy weekend, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix