Thursday 1 July 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 30th June & 1st July, 2021


On Wednesday, still in a state of euphoria after England's magnificent win the previous evening, I did my Wii Fit workout, had a wander around the garden and swept the downstairs rugs before Jon joined me for breakfast. After he'd made sandwiches we headed off to Shropshire for our National Trust adventure.


The fabulous 16th Century Benthall Hall is situated on the outskirts of the former mining village of Broseley, just a few miles from Ironbridge Gorge (a 45-minute drive from home). The house is still occupied by the Benthall family, but has been owned by the National Trust since 1958.


 
The hall was built around 1580 on the site of an earlier 12th Century Medieval manor house. During the Civil War, it was garrisoned and the site of several skirmishes, the refectory table which was used to barricade the hall window during a particularly ferocious battle, still bears the repairs after a direct hit from a musket ball. 



It's hard to get your head around the fact that this is still a fully-functioning family home, although the present incumbents live & work in London during the week, returning only at weekends.






Inside, Benthall Hall retains its oak interior, ornate panelling and elaborately carved staircase furnished with 16th & 17th-century furniture, rare English porcelain and an eclectic assortment of portraits. The family ran a successful business in India for generations, trading in coir, which was wound down following Independence in 1947. There are lots of amazing paintings of the Benthall family in both India and Morocco, a favourite holiday destination, but sadly copyright laws meant photos weren't allowed.

The garden is largely the product of two tenants. George Maw (1832–1912), a local tile manufacturer and crocus enthusiast developed the garden from around 1865 onwards. Subsequently, the Victorian era Romantic painter and sculptor Robert Bateman (1842–1922), son of the famous horticulturalist behind the incredible Biddulph Grange Gardens, added the rockeries and terraces of the current garden.













Just like on our visit to Snowshill Manor last week, more kind holiday-makers (Londoners, this time) offered to take our photo.


Roses have never been my thing but the rose garden at Benthall is gorgeous.







Despite a gloomy start, the sunshine broke through the clouds and we enjoyed a gloriously warm and sunny afternoon and my pure silk, angel-sleeve maxi dress, handmade in Delhi in the early 1970s turned out to be a perfect choice.


Next to the hall stands the church of St Bartholomew. The original building was razed to the ground during the Civil War and rebuilt during the Restoration (c.1667 -1668). We hunted in vain amongst the wildflowers for the gravestones of Jon's ancestors, ten generations of which had lived in Broseley until the late 19th Century.


Back at home we sat in the garden drinking tea with the lads slumped at our feet. We ate pizza, cooked to perfection in the Rangemaster and spent the evening quaffing rum & cola and with a football-free evening, watched back-to-back episodes of the Eastern European drama, The Pleasure Principle.


On Thursday I did my Wii Fit workout and wrapped the flurry of eBay sales that had come in overnight. The forecast was for a warm but cloudy day with a threat of rain showers but I threw caution to the wind and pegged some washing out anyway. I'd noticed that the ledges in the middle room bay window were shrouded in dust so washed them down and rearranged the bits and pieces displayed on them.


After breakfast, Jon headed off to get Young Kim, our daily runaround, MOT'd (he's Korean) whilst I refilled the garden waste bin which had been collected earlier in the week and took The Virgin of Guadalupe outside to watch over the pots. 


Richard arrived with a couple of parcels, one containing a gorgeous 1970s Phool midi skirt with a quilted hem that I'd won on eBay at the weekend.


My friend Tricia had taken a fancy to something I'd bought on a charity shopping mission and I offered to send it her way. In return, she sent me a parcel of things for the Kinky shed...colour-co-ordinated cotton loveliness!


Also in the parcel was this incredible Dior slip/nightie. How fab is that tattoo-inspired print?


Apologies for not emailing and thanking you yet, Tricia. I'm thrilled to bits! I was out in the avenue chatting to a neighbour when Jon came back with the news that Young Kim had failed his MOT, but fortunately with minor, cheap & fixable issues. 


After our lunch, our fab friends & fellow traders, Graz & Steve called round. We'd not seen each other since November 2019 so we were all very excited, so much so that I forgot to take a photo so I've nicked this one from their Facebook page. They have a very cool vintage shop in Birmingham's hip and happening Digbeth. Check out their website HERE.


After waving them off I got stuck into some gardening, potting up tomatilloes, basil and black cherry tomatoes and planting out some more beetroot after we'd harvested and eaten our crop on Tuesday night when we'd roasted them with peppers, red onions, potatoes and halloumi.


Some of the other edibles we're growing.....curly & flat-leaved parsely, chives, rosemary, three varieties of mint, bronze fennel, oregano, marjoram, coriander, sage, thyme, summer savoury, caraway, anise,


Onions, garlic, parsnips, carrots, beetroot, red & green basil, ornamental gourd (not edible but part of the squash family), courgettes, patty pan, gherkins, peppers, chillies, cucumbers, ruby red chard, tomatoes (including cherry & moneymaker), tomatilloes, beetroot, cauliflower, red cabbage...


Loganberries, rhubarb, gooseberries, strawberries, goji berries, raspberries, red and blackcurrants, sweetcorn, potatoes, globe artichokes, mizuna leaves, radicchio, Batavia red & green lettuce, two varieties of rocket, Shiraz peas, Greek beans and broad beans.
 

And a rather marvellous ginger plant....thanks to Lulu who blogged about finding the roots for sale in Wilko so I rushed down and bought one.


Frank's finally discovered the catnip (grown from seed!)


In my head, on a warm and sunny day, I'm living the self-sufficient dream on a remote Greek island.


It was the first outing this year for my hand-printed, artisan-made, organic cotton maxi dress bought from Cotton Cottage in Goa in February 2020. 


While I spent the late afternoon pottering around the garden Jon got to grips with the Rangemaster's fan-assisted oven, making an organic spelt flour loaf in Sunday's vintage Hovis tin. 


Tea was Glamorgan sausages with salad accompanied by a glass of Greek beer. As it's another football-free night so we'll be watching more of The Pleasure Principle. 

See you soon!

39 comments:

  1. I continue to be fascinated with the UK Trust properties. Seeing friends unexpectedly has to be a bright spot as we slowly move out of the last 18 month cautions. I think I've seen the mirror on your garden wall before, but I just wanted to say how much I like it, and the little garden nook you have created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Mirrors are lovely in the garden, the reflect the light beautifully.
      It's been fabulous to catch up with friends now we're all jabbed.
      I hope you can visit the UK before too long. The NT do a fantastic 2 week membership scheme for visitors so you could overdose on historic properties to your heart's content! xxx

      Delete
  2. It's Canada Day here and it's hitting 37C here. I'm used to -37 in the winter. It's too hot. The dogs are lying in the draft and we are all panting.

    Today is the great reopening. So we went for Dim Sum to celebrate. When you haven't had something in over a year, it's a much looked forward to treat.

    Off to stare at the Lotta website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your extreme temperatures have hit the headlines here, it's utter madness! I hope things are starting to cool down a bit now.
      We haven't eaten out in this country since March 2020 - we were thinking of visiting a new Greek Cypriot restaurant this week but there's a small matter of the football! Maybe we'll be able to book a table and celebrate very soon!
      Have fun and buy the clogs! xxx

      Delete
  3. Sorry to be AWOL for so long, Vix. Lovely post as always, and gorgeous clothes you are modelling too, as always! What a beautiful place to visit.

    I'm sorry to say that at the beginning of June I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My second primary cancer, and they say lightning never strikes twice in the same place!! I am going in next Friday for a lumpectomy and hoping I won't need chemo, but will definitely have radiotherapy and hormone therapy too afterwards. Trying to get organised ahead of time so we've plenty of ready-cooked meals in the freezer because I'll be out of action for a bit.

    Otherwise everything's fine and I've been having a grand clear out in my studio in readiness for a new crafting machine very generously being given to me by a friend from the WOYWW blog hop. I've been crocheting madly and managed to finish the kitty throw in time for my hubby's birthday, and have started on a Persian Tiles one now.

    Hugs,
    Shoshi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoshi, I'm thinking of you and sending all the positive vibes in the world. xxx

      Delete
  4. Love everything about your posts and pics, but especially this one as I spied a Riihimaen vase in one of the pics. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello cha-cha! Thank you so much! Well spotted - I've got two Rihimaen vases in my collection and love them! xxx

      Delete
  5. Now that big house. Your garden looks great. I haven't check our garden. It just been so hot here and in morning we water the garden.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely day out you and Jon had. I adore the 2 dresses you shared in this post, Vix. Your garden is also looking magnificent! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of the most beautiful houses I have seen on your National Trust adventures; the ornate work on the ceiling, the carved wood detail, even the furniture is just everything I love and interesting that they have the connection with India, the garden too (I love roses) is lovely and I bet the smell of roses was powerful. You look lovely in your silk dress and it's so nice to see pictures of you both together :) I have some black tomato seeds but thought it too late to plant - I will plant a few and see what happens. You must be self sufficient on veggies. Love the Phool skirt I have had a little rest from EBay as it was becoming all consuming! Your range cooker is fabulous and with fan assisted it's going to cook fast and economically - fun to see the Hovis tin in use. Loved this post today, Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Betty! It really is a gorgeous house, all the better for being lived in and loved. Apparently it was the setting for a Netflix film called "Enola Holmes" which starred Helena Bonham Carter.
      I wish I could have shared a few photos of the family artwork. there's a painting of an elderly chap in a blazer and Panama hat in the 1920s being served tea by a young Morrocan lad in traditional dress, the twinkle in the old fella's eye is just lovely!
      The soil is so warm I reckon you stand a chance with your tomatoes, give them a go.
      You're wise to give ebay a rest, it can become very addictive. Mind you most of the stuff I've been watching latekly has sold for hundreds of pounds so I was lucky to snaffle that skirt for a bargain price!
      We could do with some sunshine to get these veggies growing, they'll be washed away at this rate! xxx

      Delete
  8. That bread is awesome!! I usually make mums and ours out of a bread machine. Still tastes better than the shops and you know what is going into it as well . No nasty additives. I love that Dior dress. That is so cool .
    I love it when strangers offer to take your picture. Paul was showing someone the other day how his drone worked and even let them have a go. I haven’t taken many photos this time as the kids are not here and I miss them.
    I am going home in 2 weeks and then Paul is following me. Take care and keep safe love and huggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted lovely, too! We bought a bread machine from a chazza years ago but never had much luck with it. Jon uses an ancient handheld mixer with dough hooks and it works a treat.
      Isn't it kind when people offer to take a photo. I though they might be weird about handling our camera for fear of covid but I think we're all over that now!
      I bet you're counting the days until you can see the kids again, it'll fly by,. I'm sure. xxx

      Delete
  9. Your silk gown is just gorgeous, Vix! Perfect for swanning about the gardens of your new home, um, I mean that lovely Trust Property! I see you had a bit of a wind - that always makes a dress feel extra dramatic.

    I'm amazed at all the food you grow for yourselves, great work on the garden. Love the green dress in the gazebo. Aw, Frank in the garden is so cute.

    We're at nicely warm temps now, at last, phew. I'm looking forward to a weekend of socializing - it's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! That silk dress is a joy to wear, it's lovely when there's a bit of a breeze and the sleeves flutter about!
      I'm very pleased to hear that your temperatures are cooling down now and hopefully you were able to celebrate Canada Day without having to lock yourself in a fridge! xxx

      Delete
  10. I think it’s great that you have so many National trust properties not to far from home. I love your visits. You can understand Benthall still being a family home, it’s beautiful. I like the style of the building. Holker Hall not far from our caravan is still a family home and we are planning revisiting it later this year when my mum & sister come for a holiday to the Lake District.
    I can imagine your excitement at seeing your friends again after all this time. There’s so much to comment on in your super blog post Vix. They get better and better xxx
    Ps. Glad Jon’s getting to grips with the new range x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to live near so many NT properties and there's all the Birmingham ones we still haven't visited yet!
      How exciting that your Mum and sister are hgoing to have a holiday in The lakes, I hope you all get to visit Holker Hall and take laods of photos. xxx

      Delete
  11. Thanks for taking us along on another wonderful National Trust adventure! I love the photo of you and John together. Great outfits as always Vix. I'm still amazed with your garden and how much more you still keep planting out there! So glad you were able to catch up with some old friends too, so nice after all this time. Have a fantastic weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! It's lovely to get a photo of Jon & me together, it doesn't happen that often! xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh, I absolutely loved Benthall Hall when we visited on our last Shropshire holiday. Back then, the gardens were completely and intentionally overgrown, due to filming which would take place later that Summer. Charming as it was, I'd love to see it again in a slightly less unkempt state. We also weren't able to access that charming Summer house for some reason. Fancy ten generations of Jon's ancestors having lived in nearby Broseley! You both look absolutely at home there ...
    I'm loving your newly found Phool skirt, and how fabulous is that Dior nightie!
    The list of edibles you're growing is quite impressive. If only I had the space for more than just strawberries and gooseberries ...
    I'm duly impressed with Jon's Hovis loaf too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if you'd visited Benthall Hall before, I meant to check your blog before we went. The guide told us about Enola Hughes being filmed there a couple of years ago and was a bit peeved that the money went to head office rather than to the house itself.
      Broseley is such a lovely village, one of our friends rented a gorgeous 17th century cottage there for a while. it was rather exciting to discover a branch of Jon's family loved there for generations! xxx

      Delete
  13. I am really enjoying 'The Pleasure Principle' but wish sometimes they'd stick with the subtitles as the actors English can be quite hard to understand; especially Maria as she drawls her words so much...

    Benthall looks fabulous. I could see it as someones home when I spotted a red curtain on a modern curtain pole next to a suit of armour; it made it look very homely! Wonderful gardens, too. What a shame you couldn't find any gravestones from Jon's ancestors.

    You seem to live in the perfect place for NT properties as you seem to be surrounded by them. I'm happy to drive 45 minutes for a group walk so if it was a NT property so close - no problem.

    Loved your outfits; the first wear of the green dress in particular and the silk maxi was gorgeous. What lovely things you got sent and oh my goodness I'm in love with the Dior slip; absolutely beautiful. I've made a note of your friends shop for the next time I'm in Birmingham.

    You are very much close to self sufficiency from your garden; you'll have to imagine the Greek island bit and the weather...

    So, the Hovis tin was a loaf tin after all. I made tea loaf today and am having a slice with a cup of tea as I write this!

    Have a lovely weekend.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the need for subtitles in The Pleasure Principle, I have trouble understanding Sergey - although I might be slightly distracted by his good looks. It's an excellent series through.
      Benthall is gorgeous, I love seeing the current occupants posessions sacttered amongst the priceless antiques.
      We are so lucky with the amount of NT places within an hour's drive of home. I suppose it's a lot to do with the Industrial Revolution and all these wealthy midlanders owning grand piles.
      Isn't that Dior slip incredible? It reminds me of Amy Winehouse and I can't bear to put it in the Kinky Shed! xxx

      Delete
  14. How's that for a wek-end pad hey?! Evening there Vix, lovely photos of your NT trip. Your kind Londoner's took a great snap of the pair of you. You suit green so well and the dress for your trip are also lovely colours on you. I must admit I am warming to roses a bit as I have been deadheading the i"inherited" ones and some of the scents are beautiful. I must admit there are lots of other flowers I prefer. I should not have been surprised at the long list of your produce you are grwoing as you both work so hard in the garden. So the loaf tin got used for it's intended purpose huh? (thought it might be nabbed for a planter) well sat outside today with my "happy" relative wink wink as then I could soak up nature while I listened er I mean talked he he. Seriously though why would you want to sit inside on a beautiful day like we've just had? anyway lovely lady have a great week end. Shazxx ps I am on Jasper duty (my neighbour has gone away) so I will be feeding and fussing e=her cat BUT he is such an ol boy (hope he is ok) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Shaz! We are doing well with strangers offering to take our photo lately, its a novelty to see us together in a photo.
      I'm with you on the roses, some smell gorgeous, don't they? I love to see them all wild and cascading up trees and terraces. Jon bought a couple online and it looks like one might be about to flower. He was adamant that if we had a rose it wouldn't be pink. If this one's as bright as the photo I might need sunglasses!
      Talking of sunglasses, I hope you've got some dark ones for when your happy relative visits, you can eyeroll all you like - or even have a bit of a snooze - whilst they whinged on and on!! Good on you for doing your family duty!
      Hope Jasper enjoyed your company, if he's as adft as our old boy Stephen it probably took him a day to realise his proper parents had gone away! xxxx

      Delete
  15. You really do belong in these settings. I'm surprised a magazine has not snapped up some of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you, Annie! Thank you! x

      Delete
  16. you in the chic green dress amongst the lush greenery of your garden - wonderful!
    what a gorgeous manour with stunning interoir!! imagine to live in furniture from the 16./17. century - still intact and functionable. something to show to this people who "have to update" their interoir every second year with cheapo trash.....
    congrats on your veggie garden!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate! It's always a suyrprise when i see myself in that green dress, it feels too comfortable to look as good as it does!
      That manor house is stunning, isn't it? I loved seeing all the original furniture still being loved and used. xxx

      Delete
  17. Wow, the Benthall Manor interior paneling is incredible, as is the rose garden. You are funny with your 'Young Kim' motor! Thanks for the ginger plant shout out. Great to see how yours is coming along. Mine is at a similar stage, though I feel now I ought to posh it up a bit with a nice terracotta pot. I shall share a picture in next week's post. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy having that panelling in your house, it's very luxe! The rose garden is splendid, we really must pop into David Austin's garden at some point, it's only 4 miles up the road!
      All our cars have ridiculous names.
      Go on, treat your ginger to a nice terracotta pot. Jon's also growing one and it's not doing half as well, I blame the naff pot he's used! xxx

      Delete
  18. Benthall Hall looks amazing - you are so fortunate to have such a huge number of NT properties within sensible driving distance.

    How are you both liking the Rangemaster? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved Benthall, Hall, it's got such a homeley feel about it.
      We are so luck living in The Midlands, I think there's more properties within an hour of home than anywhere else in the UK.
      The Rangemaster is great - bread, pizza, roasted veg have all been brilliant! xxx

      Delete
  19. woww, so lovely post!, lots of fabulous photos!. Firstly, your visit to another glorious National Trust, so lovely building (with an amazing history to tell) and lovely gardens. Love particularly the photo of both you!, and your delightful silk dress!
    And I'm loving to see so many different vegetables you're growing in your garden, this is totally fantastic!. And I was feeling very proud of myself because I managed to grow some coriander!
    Glad to see your green Cotton Cottage dress, it's one of my favourite ones!, You Rock It!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  20. woww, so lovely post!, lots of fabulous photos!. Firstly, your visit to another glorious National Trust, so lovely building (with an amazing history to tell) and lovely gardens. Love particularly the photo of both you!, and your delightful silk dress!
    And I'm loving to see so many different vegetables you're growing in your garden, this is totally fantastic!. And I was feeling very proud of myself because I managed to grow some coriander!
    Glad to see your green Cotton Cottage dress, it's one of my favourite ones!, You Rock It!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love everything about this post but I am so very envious of your vintage Hovis tin. I'd definitely bake bread more often if I had one of those. X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix