Saturday 3 July 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 2nd & 3rd July, 2021

 


On Friday morning, after my last Wii Fit workout of the week, I booked next week's National Trust trip, wrapped my eBay parcels and caught up with Blogland. We'd run out of fruit and had a couple of slices of Jon's organic spelt loaf for breakfast.


The forecast was for a cloudy start with an afternoon of sunshine and 24°C heat so, as we were walking into town, I opted for my light and airy Dilli Grey midi dress with some vintage sunnies I'd had for years.  The sole purpose of our mission was to buy some oven cleaner but obviously, we couldn't walk past the town's charity shops without popping in.


What did we get? For the stockroom we found a lightweight wool zip-up jacket from high-end gents outfitters, Moss; a 1970s sundress by Erla of London; a contemporary navy cashmere overcoat by Jaeger; a 1970s bespoke worsted wool blazer by Austin Reed; an early 1960s cotton housecoat from Dorothy Perkins; a checked wool waistcoat by Viyella, a reissued design from their Victorian archives, still with the original tags; an incredible 1970s beaded silk top by Hilary Floyd of London (the designer behind one of my most favourite dresses (HERE) and a new-with-tags animal print boiler suit.


We found a few things for us, too!


  • I'd spotted a crisp bit of cotton in a lovely earthy shade when we were in the clearance charity shop last week on the plus-size rail but it was all crumpled up and the plastic cube on the hanger said "26" so I'd assumed it was a modern piece as size 26s are a fairly new thing. As it was still there I had a closer look and realised that "26" corresponded to the waist measurement and upon unfolding it discovered it was a gorgeous vintage skirt with marvellous fringed pockets & glass buttons, labelled A Vyseboro Production
  • A set of three framed freaky kids for £3? Perfect for the Wall of Misery!
  • A gold coin necklace.
  • Neither of us has read any Ngaio March, the striking covers attracted us.
  • This set of 1970s stainless steel spice canisters with glass-topped lids are wonderfully tactile and of super quality, a huge improvement on the old glass jars with poorly fitting cork lids we've used for years.
  • Jon loved this insanely cool 1980s shirt featuring Moghul princes and prancing horses. It's labelled Mellow by Angli and made in Denmark. It'll be perfect for Greece.

 Walking back along the avenue, another neighbour stopped in raptures about how good the front of the house was looking. The nasturtiums are starting the flower and the Sweet Williams and mixed Dianthus are a riot of colour.


The wildflowers are starting to bloom...just in time for National Meadows Day, which is today (3rd July).


And look, Lynn! Auntie Gladys's sunflowers are imminent!


By the time we'd eaten our noodles, the sun had broken through the clouds and it had started to heat up. I threw our finds into the washing machine, ate our lunchtime noodles and after I'd pegged everything out on the line, I stripped off into a bikini and prostrated myself on the lawn with my latest read. I've read most of Ian McEwan's books but not this one, with an unborn child witnessing a heinous crime, I'm already gripped.


We were back indoors for Spain vs Switzerland's 5pm kick-off, beer in hand and pizza in the Rangemaster. Switzerland were so unlucky to lose on penalties. With less than 15 minutes till the next game, Belgium vs Italy, we moved to the lounge, cracked open the rum and watched another heart-stoppingly exciting match. Halfway through I realised it was the deadline day for paying our pitch fee for the only festival we're trading at this year and had to dash over to the PC and transfer the cash...phew! 


Jon was awoken by the lads at 7.30am and after he'd tended to their needs he made tea and brought it back to bed where we lay and read until just after 8.30. After Jon went downstairs to start breakfast, I stripped and changed the bed and loaded the washing machine, but as it had been drizzling for most of the night and showed no signs of stopping, I was forced to dry the bedding in the tumble-drier.


After veggie sausage sandwiches, we were feeling distinctly jittery and decided we were suffering from PMT (prematch tension). We sang along to World in Motion and Three Lions (Football's Coming Home) and got even more nervous about tonight's match. To take my mind off the football, I treated myself to some gardening shoes in the Crocs sale (don't laugh, Jon's already a fan!) and moved the waistband button on the skirt I'd bought in the charity shop yesterday it fitted my 24" waist.


Channel 4's catch-up wasn't working so, on Wednesday night, we hadn't caught up with The Pleasure Principle as we'd originally intended instead opting to revisit The Serpent, the stupendously good BBC drama about the real-life serial killer, Charles Sobhraj, who preyed on young hippies in the 1970s. 



The Serpent's costumes are fantastic, there's every style from the ramshackle hippie attire of the young backpackers, the mainstream clothing worn by the Dutch ambassador's wife to the bohemian glam of Sobhraj's partner in crime, Marie-Andrée, who rarely appears without her trademark oversized sunglasses, a headscarf and a bracelet dripping with diamonds & rubies. To distract myself from all things football I decided I needed to create a Serpent-inspired outfit.


While Marie-Andrée favours a denim midi, I thought my new-to-me cotton skirt would be perfect for the sweltering temperatures of downtown Bangkok. My bracelet, handmade by a lovely blog reader using broken bits of vintage jewellery, is far more me than diamonds. The Indian silk-screen printed scarf was a charity shop find and the vintage oversized Polaroids were from a car boot sale a good decade ago.


Hello, hydrangea! Isn't nature amazing? Just look at the intense purple of my geranium Little Monster alongside the vibrant oranges & yellows of my Empress of India nasturtium and the dazzling hot pink of the geraniums!


I thought I'd lost last year's penstemon but it's back in all its electric blue glory! The crocosmia is imminent and the drumstick alliums are gradually turning purple.


After a good hour spent tending to my houseplants we caught up with last night's Gardeners' World with a mug of tea and some buttered malt loaf and then inspired by Adam and his trusty sidekick, Ash the cat, had a wander around the garden between showers to see what had popped up overnight.


The pond's looking very lush and alive with froglets and freshwater snails.


Half-an-hour of dead-heading and pottering and we were both starting to feel a little calmer although that all went to pot when we turned the TV on and the build-up to England vs Ukraine has already started. It's the Czech Republic vs Denmark first though, just time for a quick shower, to change into my lucky red bikini and crack open what could be the first of rather a few beers. 

Come on, England!!!


46 comments:

  1. Honestly, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Crocs are brilliant for doing the garden.
    How gorgeous is that skirt? What a good idea to double-check. I remember from our blogger days out when we went through every item in every chazza 😀
    I've put my fake England shirt on. It's over 20 years, from when Joel was a toddler, and comes out every international tournament.
    Fingers and toes crossed! See you on the other side! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at us extolling the virtues of Crocs. I think we need a day out charity shopping and sort ourselves out!
      I was lucky with that skirt, I thought the colour looked to good to be something modern but dismissed it because of the way it was folded on the hanger and the 26 cube!
      Your fake England shirt did the trick! I'm so excited for Wednesday! The bikini is ready! xxx

      Delete
  2. More great charity shop finds and you've made a fantastic job of that bit of garden at your entrance. I'm going to go hunting for bargain plants tomorrw, I need more colour and I've got too many gaps that need filling.
    Don't knock crocs - L loves hers all year around and Hubby has a pair for in the house and a pair for gardening like John. I must confess I have a fleecy lined pair that I use as slippers in the winter! At this time of year it's flip flops.
    Enjoy the football - fingers crossed for a good result.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Emma! I hope your quest for plants proved successful.
      I'm probably the only festival trader that doesn't own a pair of Crocs for the morning Portaloo dash! Fingers crossed I get okay with the ones I've ordered, my feet are quite narrow and I walk out of most slip-ons! xxx

      Delete
  3. Fantastic post as always, Vix. Love the charity shop purchases! I don't get the chance very often but I do enjoy a good charity shop rummage. You never know what you are going to find.

    Thank you for your visit to my blog and for your kind words and good wishes. Only a few days to go now till my surgery and I am sure I shall be fine. I am glad your friend has done so well - I am really hoping to avoid chemo though. We won't know till after the operation. Keep an eye on my blog for progress!

    So glad you like my hubby's kitty throw and the start of the Persian Tiles one. When I am recovering I am hoping to pick that up again but I've been too busy lately.

    Hope you are having a great weekend!
    Hugs,
    Shoshi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shoshi! You can't beat a good charity shop rummage. that's something for you to look forward to when the operation is behind you and you're feeling better. xxx

      Delete
  4. I love your outfit with your new skirt! The top matches perfectly and the scarf in your hair looks so chic!
    I used to have a pair of Crocs, they're great for stuff like pottering around in the garden and they sell some nice styles now
    As a Dane I'm thrilled Denmark won, but it'll make it awkward for me if England win against Ukraine tonight 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I knew you were into your Danish dramas and were learning Danish but didn't know you'd got Danish heritage. I hope you enjoy the match on Wednesday and I promise not to fall out over the resuklt if it doesn't go in England's favour. xxx

      Delete
  5. I own three versions of that skirt, the pockets come in so handy.

    Crocs? I wear them in the house instead of slippers. Accidently wore them to our Emergency Room this month. The nurses loved them, they have a floral, geranium print all over them.

    Best thing is you can just hose them off if you get any muck on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a roomy pocket!
      The Crocs must be very comfy if you accidentally wopre them to work. I saw the floral printed ones on the website, they're so pretty! Mine are plain-ish, only Jon, the cats and the postman will see them unless, like you, I forget I'm wearing them! xxx

      Delete
  6. Love it all Vix! I think I started on the beer a bit too early here and now I'm so tired I can barely hold my eyes open, so I'll leave it at that for this round. I hope you are having a great weekend. Enjoy the game - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! We never learn, do we?! xxx

      Delete
  7. Happy early Sun morning dear Vix! Well that lucky red bikini is certainly working!!! Yea! you look great in these outfits and we are all confessing to wearing crocs in the garden ha ha !! Well what a unique bracelet i bet that means a lot to you. Yes nature is amazing, my youngest was nervous about getting his jab yesterday so I suggested we walk around the yard he soon forgot his nerves. I am so grateful and relieved that my guys have got their first jab. Yesterday was a busy day we took the old Aunty down to the local garden centre after the guys jabs. It was hilarious as we did not realise she had a long list we were there for two hours!! I accidently bought a jasmine and two other plants that caught my eye after last year where I did not spend one penny on the garden gone a bit mad this year! Aunty was so excited to be out! anyway keep that red bikini at hand lol Shazxx ps no.7's nature strip is looking fabulous. I remember when you teased us with plans for that bit now look it's done and the whole neighborhood is appreciating it.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shaz! Yes, the red bikini is working some magic, let's hope it continues on Wednesday night, eh?
      I hope your youngest's jab went okay. I'm so impressed with how the youngsters have embraced the vaccine and just go and get it instead of watching ridiculous stuff on YouTube and believing the carzy conspiracy theories.
      I bet your auntie went wild after so long without visiting the garden centre, I think I was the same after ours reopened! xxx

      Delete
  8. Your front of house is looking superb! and so are you in that Serpent inspired outfit - I did love that program, the wardrobe throughout was so lovely and her trademark silk scarves were right up my street - I like yours :) Great news with the football, although I'm not a watcher you can't help getting swept up in the excitement of it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I loved the costumes in The Serpent although I'm not sure I appreciated them so much the first time round, I was too scared by the plot! I've always collected those silk scarves, it's time I wore them more!
      Hasn't the football been wonderful for listing the nation's spirits? xxx

      Delete
  9. Awh Auntie Gladys sunflowers, she would be thrilled to bits and she was a big lover of nasturtiums. I hope she is looking down on your garden with delight. The hours she would spend talking to you about it and looking round, bless her.
    Pat was selling a couple of those freaky kids this week in her online Instagram shop. You got a bargain there.
    The Serpent is our go to series if there’s nothing else to watch, we love it. You’ve captured the look perfectly Vix.
    I’ve given the footie a miss this time and spent all day yesterday in my workroom on zoom meetings and learning how to free machine embroider via an online course. 12 hours I was in there on and off. What a great day.
    Enjoy the rest of the matches I’m off out with Mum for lunch today with my bestie and her dad.
    Love to you both xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! I can't wait for the sunflowers to bloom and to be able to share their loveliness with you! I wish I could have met Auntie Gladys.
      Pat told me that she'd just sold another couple of those freaky kids. I couldn't believe the price of mine, they've got expensive in the last few years although I've never paid more than £1 for any of mine!
      Your course looks so interesting. I can't tear myself away from the football and it's only a year until the World Cup! xxx

      Delete
  10. Just love your blue and pink dress. The sleeves are gorgeous. Had my eye on your skirt. Took me back to the 1950s.
    Your frontage is unbelievable. The colours starting to show. What a difference. You won’t get anyone’s rubbish going in there. Ngaio Marsh was a close relative of a family friend of ours. I wish I had listened more closely. I thought she was his sister in law. Perhaps his wife’s sister ? His wife had been a great beauty. My mother and my two girls went to her school. At 15 I was really into Agatha Christie but did try one of Ngios books. Would be interested to hear if you enjoy it. I have to say I found it boring. 00ps. In her 50s she lived a few blocks from our home. She would drive her red Jag down to our local dairy. She always wore a grey trouser suit and had grey hair cut like a man. That was in the mid 1960s. After she died her house was opened to the public. Very nice and cosy. I think by Hurst Seagar. Lots of wood inside. Goodness that’s pulling things out of my poor brain. Hope I haven’t bored you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sally! i think the skirt might be 1950s rather than 1970s, the glass buttons and font on the label make me think it's older than I originally thought.
      I'm so pleased with how the frontage is looking, I can't wait for the sunflowers to bloom. There's three little boys who walk past with their mum on the way to and from school evry day and they squeal with excitement at the daily changes, they'll love the sunflowers!
      I'm looking forward to reading the Ngaio Marsh books. I didn't realise she was from New Zealand, how interesting that she lived near you and was such a strikingly dressed woman (with great taste in cars!) I'll let you know if I enjoy her writing! You haven't bored me at all, after reading your comment I spent half an hour Googling her to find out more! xxx

      Delete
  11. I just binge watched the serpent and thought it was wonderful what an evil man .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fantastoc series but truly terrifying to know it was real! xxx

      Delete
  12. Vix do you know the name of that blue penstemon? It looks stunning and now I want one. I'm amassing a bit of a collection of penstemons and I'd certainly make space for one that colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're stunning plants, aren't they? This variety is "Electric Blue" and it really is, the photo doesn't do it justice! x

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I'll look out for some seeds for next year. It's stunning.

      Delete
  13. love your serpent-inspired outfit and the balloon sleeves on the dilli gray frock!!
    fabulous arm candy too!
    like you i do enjoy the riot of colors that pops up in our gardens....... cant stop photographing and looking at your pictures. gorgeous finds - look at the pattern placing of the tartan waistcoat! ages ago i´d read ngaio marsh - as good as agatha christie - but its hard te find german copies, i lost mine.
    the BW is glued to the football streaming too - me´s not interested..... but wish i could see gardener´s world.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate! I loved those huge sleeves on the Dilli Grey, just perfect for a hunid day!
      That tartan waistcoat is a work of art, the alignmnent really is perfect. I'm looking forward to reading some Ngaio Marsh, I've always loved Agatha Chrisite but somehow she's been off my radar.
      I wish you could see Gardeners' World. Have you looked on YouTube? xxx

      Delete
  14. No crocs for me as I can't bear the smell of the vinyl/rubber they're made of. I'm cursed with both a good nose and chronic migraines.
    That's a fab bracelet made from old broken pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you into a secret, I'm not a fan of many perfumes but since I was a toddler the smell of rubber makes my mouth water. Jon tells me off about loitering near the wellies in the garden centre. xxx

      Delete
  15. That light and airy Dilli Grey dress is a sight for sore eyes! I'm loving those sleeves!
    Great chazza find: I'm loving the freaky kids and that crisp cotton skirt. Oh, and the print on Jon's Mellow skirt is absolutely stunning.
    I'm not surprised your neighbours are in raptures, your front garden looks fantastic. I'd wal past every day to see what is new!
    Crocs? Oh dear! I have to admit I had a little laugh. Can't wait to see them to see if they'll change my mind about Crocs ;-)
    Your Serpent inspired outfit is fabulous, and almost as wonderful as Mother Nature's creations. And it does seem your lucky red bikini has once again worked its magic. Well done, England! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why those Dilli Grey dresses are so expensive, you really do feel special in them!
      One of my friends said she sold a couple of those Freaky Kids on IG last week, I wish I'd seen them!
      I'm not sure my Crocs will convince you to wear them yourself but Jon's were a delight to wear, so spongy and bouncy! xxx

      Delete
  16. You look so lovely in the Dilli Grey dress! I love their stuff!
    Your new chazzer finds are great! Love the skirt! I almost bought a lovely white linen skirt in the chazzer on Saturday!
    Ooh, Death at the Dolphin!! I LOVE Ngaio Marsh and I haven't read that one BUT I read the sort of '20 years later sequel' to it recently. Sadly, I've passed it onto another friend otherwise I'd send it your way as it was a triple omnibus of Ngaio Marsh.
    Haha, I can't wait to see your Crocs. I have a BEAUTIFUL pair of vivid turquoise pointed ballet pump Croc shoes that everyone swoons over and is aghast and astounded when I say they are made by Crocs so I am quite sure you picked something stylish!
    I LOVE your Serpent outfit! For sure, Jenna Coleman (my beloved Clara!) looks amazing in her outfits and I swooned a lot over them!
    The garden really does look lovely!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! I was so lucky to score a few Dilli Greys on eBay, they are gorgeous dresses to wear. You almost bought a white linen skirt in the chazza? I admire your restraint!
      I meant to start one of those Ngaio March books this afternoon but completely forgot, I'll let you know what I think when I do get around to reading one.
      I've seen some gorgeous coral Croc flipflops but went for a more practical pair for slipping on and padding around the garden. Jon's got a clog pair and a posher nubuck pair for best!!
      Jenna Coleman looked wonderful in all her costumes, especially that halterneck jumpsuit and the lace beach kaftan! xxx

      Delete
  17. Corr blimey Vix, that red bikini is certainly working its magic, what with all these England wins! I have red crocs. Very old, very worn, paint splattered, but great for gardening... that is when Monsieur's not wearing them :0 Great chazza finds (or 'wombling' as we sometimes call it). Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm scared not to wear that red bikini now!
      Fancy Monsieur nicking your Crocs. I borrowed Jon's and that's why I decided I needed a pair in my life. I must be the only festival trader who doesn't wear them on the 6am portaloo run! xxx

      Delete
  18. That cotton skirt with off-the-shoulder blouse and knotted scarf ensemble evokes 50s images of Ava Gardner in a cleaner but steamier Hollywood. Or perhaps I'm thinking of Yvonne DeCarlo? Somebody sultry...who'd probably dance in espadrilles rather than crocs but crocs are definitely preferable for gardening.

    Your decision to use turf expedited the fulfillment of your ambitious plans for the front garden. What a pleasant prospect it is already, and how good to know that the neighbors appreciate your efforts! Friends working in real estate have told me such gestures not only lift spirits but also property values.

    I've found Ngaio Marsh's mysteries featuring her pet character Agatha Troy rather slow moving; however, some of the straight mysteries with Inspector Allyn offer a box seat to view the vanished world of the pre-war British theatre. Hope you can find Overture to Death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I look at the way that skirt's constructed, the more I'm convinced it's 1950s as opposed to 1970s. I might have to do a Ava Gardner inspired outfit!
      I'm glad we plumped for turf in the end, it's taken really well and got rid of those pesky invasive weeds. We get so many lovely comments about how it looks now, greebn spaces make such a difference to people's mental well-being.
      A couple of friends have told me that there's a TV adaptation of the Inspector Allyn stories, I shall have to track it down. xxx

      Delete
  19. You scored some great charity shop finds! I love those elaborately beaded tops, but they are often so heavy, and impossible to clean. I'm intrigued by the black and white boiler suit - what a crazy print!

    Isn't The Serpent good!!! If that poor diplomat guy hadn't been so determined (or more like obsessed)to catch Sobhraj, I'm sure he would have continued killing people for the rest of his life. Unfortunately, Sobhraj was never found guilty even though he spent time in jail. The costumes were fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those heavily embellished tops are okay to handwash as long as you don't wring them and you have enough room to leave them hanging to dry for days! That boiler suit is a crazy beast.
      The Serpent seems even scarier the second time around. We were always warned to stay away from gem dealers when we first went to India, now I know why! xxx

      Delete
  20. Love your Dilly Grey dress (love this label, thanks for this discovering!) and also love your outfit inspired by The Serpent (I've just watched some trailers and it looks really appealing!). I'm in love with your bracelet, so brilliant to make this with broken bits of jewellery!
    You Look Fabulous!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to have discovered Dilli Grey (thanks to Amanda, a blog reader)! I think you'd love The Serpent, it's very scary but utterly compelling. xxx

      Delete
  21. Ooh, I missed this post! Gorgeous flowers in your garden - your front area is looking fabulous!

    Love the charity shop finds - beaded things always attract me (shiny!). Love your coin necklace, and your wonderful outfit you put together with your amazing new skirt, Vix! I've also read a bunch of Ian McEwan's books, but have never seen that one. The Comfort of Strangers remains my favourite (it's the creepiest!).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving 'The Serpent' look - fabulous. What a brilliant find the skirt was!

    I sort of watched the England v Ukraine game as everyone came round to watch it - helped along by a couple of glasses of Prosecco...

    The front garden and all the rest of your garden is looking fab.

    Ngaio Marsh is a classic British crime writer and although I have a book of hers I've yet to read it. It's such a fab name but I have no idea how it's pronounced.

    Good news you're able to trade at at least one festival this year.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Erla sundress is gorgeous and definitely worth cleaning the oven for. X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix