Monday 5 July 2021

The Distancing Diaries - 4th & 5th July, 2021


 It's coming home, it's coming home, football's coming home...I woke up still singing it on Sunday after Saturday evening's magnificent game. Although we'd not gone mad with the drinking it was 8.15am when I went downstairs to make tea and we only managed thirty minutes of reading in bed before The Andrew Marr Show started, which we watched at the kitchen table with a slice of toast and a mug of coffee. I painted my nails in Barry M's Beach Club.

Although it was warm we'd been told to expect the average month's rainfall within the next 24 hours. We had to wait for a particularly heavy shower to pass before heading down to the clearance charity shop for what has become our Sunday tradition. Despite only visiting the shop on Friday, we still managed to come back with a few finds. The shop has a target of a thousand items of fresh stock to go out every day so there's always something different to look at and donations are always gratefully received - this week we handed over a set of six 1970s Hock wine glasses, some cushion covers, three shirts from Jon's wardrobe and a book.

 


For the stockroom: a handmade 1970s wrap over skirt; a vintage embroidered cotton kimono; a 1980s Peter Storm waterproof jacket; a 1960s-inspired jacket and a screen-printed scarf, no doubt a souvenir from Greece. I couldn't leave this pretty Broderie-Anglaise off-the-shoulder top behind, I was inexplicably drawn to the carved oak acorns and neither of us needs an excuse to buy a book. I'm looking forward to reading Two Under The Indian Sun, the author Rumer "Black Narcissus" Godden & her brother Jon's memoirs of a childhood spent in East Bengal from 1914 - 1919. Look at Our House, they weren't short of a bob or two, were they?


After popping to Wilkos we drove back, inspected our finds, ate our lunchtime noodles and then set off to Liz & Adrian's to deliver her belated birthday present. The rain was biblical, the water was up to my ankles in the avenue, the town centre roads had become rivers and several houses and businesses were flooded. After an hour drinking tea and catching up we drove back in glorious sunshine with barely a puddle in sight. Madness!


It was the first outing for my vintage Phool midi skirt and, after holding it up against my rail of tops, this Indian cotton gauze blouse seemed like a perfect match. 

WEARING: Vintage Indian gauze blouse, 1970s Phool midi skirt, Lotta from Stockholm clogs (all eBay), vintage sunglasses and Indian silk screen printed headscarf (charity shop finds)

After I'd photographed my finds I threw them in the washing machine and hung them up to dry in the utility room and then emptied the contents of our spice jars into the new stainless steel canisters, scrubbing the old ones out ready to redonate to the charity shop next week.


Between showers, we nipped into the garden, Jon pinned the Lavatera to the wall and I staked a couple of sunflowers that had grown too big for their canes.  


There's a lot of pink and lilac in the garden at the moment. Isn't it wonderful how the colour palette changes on an almost weekly basis? The Bear's Britches are slowly making an appearance and I'm madly in love with this Fuschia's colour combo. 



Tea was halloumi with roasted veg and lashings of Henderson's Relish. Channel 4's catch-up was working so we watched the final couple of episodes of The Pleasure Principle. I had an early night, leaving Jon to a YouTube tutorial about sparkplugs and finished my book in bed. 



Monday got off to another damp start to the day, it had rained heavily throughout the night and my morning inspection of the garden revealed broken lupins, delphiniums and flattened sweet peas and also some rather juicy strawberries and redcurrants. After my Wii Fit workout, I wrapped my eBay parcels, sprayed oven cleaner inside the old cooker and caught up with blogland whilst it worked its magic. I'd just finished scrubbing when Jon came downstairs.


After breakfast, Jon did the post office & supermarket run followed by his weekly coffee & a catch-up round at Tony's. I soaked the oven shelves in the bath and spent a sweaty hour scrubbing them until they shone. The morning's drizzle had given way to sunshine so I went outside, pulled up the bindweed, secured the sweetpeas and cut down the casualties from yesterday's rain. When Jon got back I took a break for a bowl of noodles.


I managed some time on the lawn with my latest read before it clouded over and work resumed. Following Adam's suggested jobs for the weekend on Gardeners' World, I cut back the hardy geraniums and then gave the buddleias in the border a haircut as well as the ash tree growing beside the pond.


Jon's proudest achievement this year is his Elephant Ears (taro) which he's grown from bulbs. He's also very excited about leaves appearing on this giant butterbar (petasites japonicus), also grown from bulbs.


These monsoon-like conditions have turned the lawn into a veritable fungi-fest.


My drumstick alliums are turning more purple by the day, the agapanthus is slowly unfurling and the Black Velvet nasturtiums I grew from seed are gradually blooming, not as black as anticipated but gorgeous nevertheless.


Whilst the weather's pretty unpredictable, the temperatures aren't too bad and I'm happily pottering about barefoot and in a crochet crop top although I'm excited about the imminent arrival of my new gardening Crocs. 

WEARING: Block-print, organic cotton wraparound skirt (Cottage Cottage, India), crochet top (roadside stall, Goa), 1970s Indian silk screen-print scarf by Saks (charity shop)

Tea was a Greek-inspired feast with Gigantes Plaki, Feta cheese and a roasted red onion flatbread whilst watching BoJo's press conference. Apparently, on the 19th July, we English can chuck away our facemasks, forget about social distancing, return to the workplace, go clubbing, attend gigs & sporting events and meet up in groups of limitless size. Is it all a bit too soon and rather reckless or have I just turned into a scaredy-cat over the last 16 months? Only time will tell.


The Euros resume tomorrow night with Spain vs Italy, so with no football on the TV, it looks like we'll be rewatching a few more episodes of The Serpent. It's even more terrifying the second time around.


See you soon!



40 comments:

  1. Went to the chazzas today - honestly! it's so dull in there, I'm in the wrong town (polyester, primarni etc but Im looking for herbal books so will persevere). That midi skirt is very nice, I think you have a number of things it will go with. Have never worn crocs - assumed as they are plastic would be sweaty betty so interested to see how you find them. I think John's elephant ear is spectacular. Love that nail varnish - my nails have all crumbled off sadly so have to start a new growth spurt and eat lots of jelly :) I am so glad to hear Boris tonight hinting at the potential for open air concerts - crowds - dare I say the likes of Glastonbury could resurface? hope so as would be great business news for you :) Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my eyes peeled for herbal books for you! Keep trying though, the gems are few and far between but so rewarding when you find something good.
      I do love that midi skirt, I'm a sucker for a quilted hem.
      Too late for anything this year, orgainisers say that festivals take 12 months of planning. We've got End of the Road booked for September (all British acts die to restrictions) and hopefully things will be more normal next year although with Brexit there's going to be a huge issue with musicians getting work permits. xxx

      Delete
  2. The Serpent was something else wasn't it. Terrifying how he manipulated people so easily. I've just watched the 3 part documentary about the murder of Daniel Morgan on Channel 4. It was extraordinary how everyone was so intertwined. I too have reservations about how we will readjust to a busy world. I have been out and about, but usually in circumstances where it's not too busy. I booked tickets for an exhibition in London for the Autumn today so that I have a reason to travel by train again as I don't want to get stuck. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent and he really was a terrifying character. I'm really enjoying (not sure if that's the right word) the second viewing!
      I shall check out the Daniel Morgan documentary, Channel 4 do true crime really sensitively, don't they?
      I bet you're looking forward to that exhibition and a great idea to test yourself on the trains, things seem rather daunting when we get out of the habit of doing them. xxx

      Delete
  3. You can send that rain right over here to western Canada, please, Vix! We need it for the forest fires - it's been a very dry spring, and could be a terrible year for them. One small town was wiped off the map last week, with 90% of the town gone within a few minutes of the blaze. So sad.

    I love seeing your charity shop finds (and I'm drooling over all your wonderful silver jewelry - love the teal nails too!). Your new lilac midi-skirt looks fantastic.

    We are taking the maskless thing one step slower - it will be likely after the September long weekend before we all go back to "normal" - right now, everyone's lining up to get their second jabs. It has eased quite a lot - we are no longer in a state of emergency! - but I still feel more comfortable in a mask when I'm in close proximity to people I don't know.

    I bought concert tickets today, though! I'm so excited!

    Good to see Frank, supervising everything. Take care and have a good week, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrible news about your forest fires, Sheila. I'd be more than happy to share our rain, aftre the wettest May on record we've had far more than our fair share!
      September? the end is in dight! We've just been told that travel restrictions are to be relaxed on 19th July so no quarantine and reducing testing for those of us who are double-jabbed. We're very happy about that! xxx

      Delete
  4. When I talk to anyone when I'm out with my dogs I automatically step back a bit-and I think I shall continue just to be on the safe side-In a shop I shall continue to wear a mask and keep my distance if possible even though I've had both jabs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS-I think I remember that acorns are very lucky x

      Delete
    2. Same here, Flis. We shall continue to maintain a safe distance and carry a mask, just in case.
      Maybe those acorns are helping with England's winning streak? xxx

      Delete
  5. Love your violet-purple midi skirt, such a fabulous colour! and love the way you styled it with a blouse and silver clogs, so brilliant ensemble!.
    Also loving to see you rocking your red crochet top and delightful maxi skirt!, You Look Fabulously Summery!. And your garden is looking more and more beautiful and lush and amazing, it's a joy for my sore eyes!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica! I love how that skirt has faded to a soft lilac over the years. Silver seemed like the perfect accompaniment.xxx

      Delete
  6. We started rewatching The Serpent again last night. It’s mesmerising even second time around. It’s great you’re back into your chazzer visits on a regular basis. Did you watch the programme on Spoons. One of my godsons works for their finance department and deals with the property purchases. He says they’re mega busy. They are certainly ahead of the game in the hospitality trade.
    Your garden continues to be a delight. I love all the colours. Our jill has the most beautiful variegated pink rose in her garden, it’s been there years and lasts all summer. It smells gorgeous. We need more colour in ours. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it good? I missed so many of the little details the first time round as I was so mesmerised by the plot although it's still utterly terrifying, especially the episode with Dominique!
      Jill's rose sounds lovely. I'm hoping the one Jon bought might flower this year, he chose it and I've got a feeling we might need sunglasses to look at it! xxx

      Delete
  7. I'm still wearing masks when I go out despite the official US guidance being that the vaccinated don't need one. After a year of not getting sick from the usual assortment of colds, flu, etc. I'm not too eager to expose myself again. That said, you probably have more people willing to get vaccinated in the UK than we do in the US.
    That's an impressive elephant ear. What a cool thing to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're very wise, especially with your compromised immune system. I shall keep my mask with me at all times just in case we have to go into an enclosed space that's particularly busy. I'm worried about where all these disgarded masks will end up now!
      Jon's second Elephant Ear has just unfurled this morning. Aren't they fab? xxx

      Delete
  8. I love bags sales at our local thrift store (charity shops) each bag you fill cost usual between $5(3.60)$10(7.21) the last thing I got at charity shop was some loose pillow cases and I will use them for rag rug. Not one cost me over .75(.54)
    We could use some rain, it super dry here
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That;s a good idea to sell by the bagful. I'm always looking for quality cotton in charity shops for dressmaking and patching, sadly a rarity in this land of cheaply produced clothes and fast fashion. xxx

      Delete
  9. Every single time I see you garden it just gets bigger, better, and more beautiful! Tell Jon I've very proud of his Elephant Ears too. I've tried to grow them too and have never been successful. Have a wonderful week Vix! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Martha! I've passed on your praise of his elephant ear - he's got another one this morning! xxx

      Delete
  10. Big leap into the new world for you all. On a more positive note - what is it about mushrooms growing wild in England? Always looks very faerie-like and magical to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be glad to get back to some kind of normal although I'm slightly wary!
      I do love our weird and wonderful fungi, I've never seen so much in our lawn, it must be the monsoon- conditions! xxx

      Delete
  11. here openings too - but like you it feel un-comfy to me...... and i can see another lockdown in fall.
    jon´s taro looks otherworldly - and i love all the pink flowers. your garden looks wonderful despite the heavy rains!
    the new skirt fits seemlessly into your wardrobe - and the headscarf suits you very well worn this way. and finally i have to ask how you manage to keep long perfect nails with all the gardening??
    very posh spice containers!!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this relaxation in the rules spurs on those who haven't taken up the vaccine yet or there is going to be chaos in the Autumn!
      I love all the pink, too. A warm, sunny day yesterday has brought a few more flowers out, lots of geraniums, an aganpanthus, crocosmia and a mutant allium. It's so exciting. I shall be out gardening all day today, expect a photo overload! xxx

      Delete
  12. Yeah I watched the news with Paul and shook my head as back home lots of cities are back in lockdown. I wouldn’t throw anything away just yet. The garden looks beautiful as always. I went to one of my favourite little towns on Saturday and the amount of people who asked to pack me in their suitcase as they are sick of this madness.
    Poor Paul had to take a covid test as they caught him doing a funny cough! The poor bloke has a lung condition but they didn’t want to know. So we have been enjoying the time together and guess what it was negative!!! i could scream at Nissan it has nothing to do with us that they cannot keep covid under control there.
    I have ordered nutmeg. It looks good. Love and huggs To you all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Allie! I'm all for getting back to normal but surely if more people are having to go back to the workplace and inevitably travel on public transpotrt, it makes sense to wear a mask? I shall keep one with me just in case I go inside a crowded space. I'm used to them now, anyway.
      The situation in Japan looks bad, I had no idea they were so behind with their vaccine programme.
      Poor Paul. I must admit we all look at one another in horror if someone starts coughing in a charity shop!
      You'll enjoy Nutmeg! xxx

      Delete
  13. happy Tuesday morning Vix, I am loving the different ways you are wearing headscarfs at the moment. I am still loving the sound of this Sunday tradition of going to the Chazza, as yet it hasn't happened here but me and my eldest will soon. I love purples and pinks in a garden and that view along the front of the house with all your pots made me think just how much you have done in the garden this last year or so. I struggle with midi length skirts I do love yours though and yes it teams beautifully with the top. I will be inspecting the garden soon for wind damgage and there is more on the way eek. Must say I love this week's nail colour!. Take care and like you I am a bit surprised at the lifting of the mandatory mask wearing/ hugs Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Shaz! I did have a book called "A Hundred Ways with a Scarf", I must have leant it to someone as I can't find it for the life of me but it had some great tutorials for scarf tying.
      I hope you can start a sunday morning charity shop tradition. The mood is so different to the rest of the week, a lot more laid back and unhurried.
      I never used to wear midi length, it was always maxi or mini but I'm a complete convert now! xxx

      Delete
  14. I love your 'Black' nasturtium! All the plants are looking glorious - that Delphinium is to die for. My purple one has finished and I'm waiting for the 2nd one to bloom - still! OH cut the buddleia back this weekend although we hadn't watched Gardner's World. I'm still trying to decide whether to keep it or not having bought it 2 years ago; I think it's too much for our small garden.

    I loved your outfits and how fab you can go bare armed. With the exception of last Friday I don't think it was warm enough here to wear sleeveless tops.

    I have to admit to be being a little worried by the 19th July easement but I'm sure it's because we've all been frightened witless over the past 16 months. I think I will continue to wear a mask when I use public transport but will probably not for everywhere else; although I shall always have a mask with me - just like a tissue!

    Hope you have a great week
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those Black Velvet nasturtiums striking? I'm really pleased with them! I've got three delphinium spikes holding on for dear life, I think I might need to stake them agaian. Poor things.
      We've never planted any buddleias, they just seem to appear in all the wrong places and go mad.
      I agree with you, we shall both continue to wear masks in busy places and keep our distance as much as we can. We've always carried sanitiser with us, it's a traveller/festival thing! xxx

      Delete
  15. I think I've got quite enough of the rain now, and so does Dove Cottage's garden. Any casualties are a minor disaster in a small plot like ours!
    I'm loving the off the shoulder top and screen printed scarf you found at the clearance chazza, and I would definitely have gone for those wooden acorns too. Two Under The Indian Sun sounds like a great read!
    You look absolutely fabulous in both of your outfit, but I'm particularly swooning over the Phool skirt, which found its perfect companion in that blouse!
    My drumstick Alliums are at the same stage at yours, I'm glad I scattered them around the garden as they are now popping up everywhere.
    Obviously, I've heard the 19th of July, and although part of me would be wary, I do think it's about time to go back to some kind of normal. We've had a big easing of the rules on the 27th of June, although face masks are still compulsory in shops and inside public spaces - which I think makes sense - as well as a couple of other restrictions, but I guess it's only a matter of time. I won't be chucking away my face masks altogether though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much for rain being doog for the garden - my poor lupin, delphinium, sunflower and sweet pears all think otherwise! Yesterday was rain free and apparently today will be, too. We've got a whole day to sort everything out until the next deluge comes our way at the weekend.
      I love accidentally buying something that matches things I already own perfectly like the Phool skirt!
      I don't think we'd have thought about alliums if we hadn't see them at a National Trust garden, I'm definitely buying more bulbs in the Autumn. Wait till you see my mutant one.
      Like you, my facemask will be on me at all times, just in case! xxx

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the ear worm :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The phool skirt looks lovely especially with the silver clogs.
    So far I've bought two new plants in Morrisons which are yellow = not my first choice, I prefer pink/purple but the main garden room at Morrisons was shut so I had to make do with what was out the front of the store. I am meeting a friend at a garden centre for coffee this morning so will rummage in their reduced plant area and see if |I can find anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!
      I'm not mad about yellow flowers either but I seem to have acquired a few and they don't half stand out amongst the green. One of my sunflowers has bloomed this morning, I'm very excited about that! xxx

      Delete
  18. Ooo ... so much garden loveliness! I'm sitting in my mini greenhouse nibbling on my cherry tomatoes on the wifi lol.

    After-funeral get together in a Wetherspoons yesterday - first time out in a large group of people (socially-distanced) - I thought it would feel odd - but not. It felt a bit like time travel lol. As to our glorious leader and his cohort - I think we're all just so used to bullshite/waffling-on/shameless stonewalling - I wouldn't trust them to open an envelope, never mind a population coming out of a pandemic. We'll be doing what I think most people will do - what we feel confortable with and what feels responsible (in view of vulnerable people who don't have the same choices). No doubt we'll have to cope with psuedo-freedom fighters of the parish fly-tipping their masks and carrying-on in a cringe-making, tone-deaf stylee.

    Enough of that - love your quilted-hem skirt. I've been stalking one on the eBay - I don't think it is vintage - but a lovely thing non-the-less, and the only thing to really take my eye of late (she lied lol).

    Love to all - enjoy the footie! Big socially-distaced hug to Maryland xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Elaine! If only I could fit into our grenhouse, it's got room for a deckcahir which the cat has commandered!
      I'm glad the funeral went okay. We still haven't been to a 'Spoons but I remember our first proper charity shopping day out a couple of months ago and after all the trepidation it felt exactly the same as it always had done. We haven't forgotten how to be normal after all!
      Listening to people talking when we were out shopping on Tuesday it sounds like the majority will feel a lot more comfortable continuing to socially distance and by wearing a mask when we can't.
      I do love a quilted hem, it makes skirts hang so much better - fingers crossed your stalking pays off. My watchlist is down to one thing at the moment - must do better! xxx

      Delete
  19. Been catching up on a couple of week's worth of blogs and I have to say your garden is looking amazing. We too have fungi popping up in the lawn, I've never seen them before!
    Personally I will be wearing a mask and distancing for the foreseeable. The numbers are crazy and going up and up. Oxford has been put under emergency measures because of how bad it is. I think it's a really really bad idea to drop everything on the 19th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,G! We've never seen fingi in our lawn before either, very odd!
      I hadn't heard about Oxford having to go into emergency measures. We shall keep our masks with us and wear them inside if we go into busy places. It seems really rash just to tear up the rule book when numbers in some places are spiralling upwards. xxx

      Delete
  20. I'm commenting on this about a fortnight after you wrote it and... yeah. STUPID idea to get rid of masks. The government is absolutely bananas. I'm still masking and distancing, personally.

    Your garden looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix