Monday 7 December 2020

The Distancing Diaries - 5th, 6th & 7th December, 2020


 Jon woke me in the early hours of Saturday morning to show me the thick blanket of snow covering the garden but by the time he'd got up at 7.30am it had reduced to a light dusting. He brought me a cup of tea up to bed and walked around to the doctor's surgery for his 'flu jab, leaving me to finish my book snuggled up with the lads. By the time he was back I was up and waiting for him in the kitchen, having stripped and changed the bed. We had our usual sausage sandwiches.

With the plumber due on Monday morning I blitzed the upstairs, sweeping the rugs and polishing the floorboards so he wouldn't be covered in cat hair and dust when he drained the central heating system and installed the new radiators & towel rail. New Vix who emerged during lockdown now cleans the house regularly so housework isn't the chore it once was. I even had time to give the 1970s Lundby Stockholm dolls house, which lives in our bedroom, a once-over.





Of course I had to wear my new-to-me vintage India Imports of Rhode Island pinafore dress - which was just as well, with birthday presents being delivered and I needed to look respectable. With my thermals, Nordic socks and recycled sari silk blouse underneath I was as warm as anything. 


It was a bitterly cold day despite the sunshine.


In our excitement to visit the chazza on Friday we'd forgotten that we needed to pop into Wilko and stock up on fat blocks for the birds (which we hang in squirrel proof cages). We had plenty of suet balls but the squirrel keeps nicking them so Jon devised a squirrel-proof feeder with the empty cola bottle from the previous evening's rum, some string and some bamboo from the garden.


The blue tits were on it in seconds! Richard the postman delivered another parcel containing a vintage Anokhi quilted jacket block printed with gold fish (not very evident in the photos) - Ebay's been good to me this week.


I spent the afternoon crocheting while Jon played in the music room. Most unusually the lads spent time together on the chaise. 


By mid-afternoon I had another pom pom hat.


After tea we watched the wonderful Lover's Rock, the Small Axe film we'd intended to watch the previous evening until we realised Grayson Perry was on. We also caught up with The Valhalla Murders, the Nordic Noir currently showing on BBC4. Jon fell asleep during the second installment blaming the after effects of the flu jab, I think it was more do to with the copious amounts of rum and cola we'd knocked back.


Sunday was my birthday and thank you so much for all the lovely messages, you made it even more special! Jon made tea and brought it upstairs along with my presents which I unwrapped in bed. We got up at 8.30am, had banana porridge and watched a bit of The Andrew Marr Show whilst I painted my nails. Jon made sandwiches while I got dressed (in my new-to-me Indian dress)


Our destination was Moseley Old Hall, a short 8 mile hop from our front door. Known as The House That Saved A King, this compact Elizabethan farmhouse on the outskirts of Wolverhampton famously offered shelter to King Charles II after he fled Cromwell's troops following defeat at The Battle of Worcester in 1651.


We'd last visited Moseley Old Hall in February, 2019 (HERE). Spring was in the air and we were fresh off the plane from India, tanned & ready for the vintage fairs and festivals to kick off again. 


On Sunday, after the weekend's snow, were prepared for a cold day but the rain took us by surprise, not that it dampened our spirits. We explored the woodland, climbed the tree house and splashed around in the puddles.







The National Trust team hadn't anticipated being in tier 3 (meaning that all indoor attractions are closed to the public) and had decorated the house in readiness for the festive season. We were encouraged to peep through the windows just as long as it didn't involve trampling over any of the flower beds and incurring the wrath of Alex, the head gardener.


We pressed our noses against the glass gazing upon the roaring log fire and the tempting array of sweetmeats on display in the kitchen window like a pair of street urchins in a Dickens novel.


I was delighted to see the peacock we made friends with last time we visited. Showing no fear he walked alongside us as we explored the farmyard.













Although we'd brought a packed lunch, due to a late breakfast, we decided to eat our sandwiches back in the warmth of home but on the way back made a detour via Queen Street cemetery, final resting place of Walsall's adopted heroine, Sister Dora. 


Born in Yorkshire in 1832, with a childhood blighted by an abusive & violent father and a couple of doomed love affairs Dorothy Wyndlow Pattison joined the Christ Church Sisterhood (also known as The Good Samaritans) and was sent as a novice nurse to work in Walsall in 1865, the town where she remained for the rest of her life. In 1875 Walsall was hit by a smallpox epidemic and Dora was instrumental in setting up an infirmary in the town where she treating thousands of patients. During the last two years of her life she worked at a hospital in Bridgeman Street in Walsall overlooking the South Staffordshire Railway line and developed a special bond with railway workers who often suffered horrific industrial accidents. Such was their respect for her that they presented her with a pony and carriage and £50 of their own money to enable her to visit the housebound of the town more easily. In 1877 Sister Dora developed breast cancer but decided against an operation and kept it a secret. She died on Xmas Eve at the age of 46. At her funeral on 28th December it was said that the entire population of Walsall turned up to see her off to the Queen Street Cemetery, borne by eighteen railwaymen, engine drivers, porters and guards, all in full uniform.


Opening in 1857, the now derelict Queen Street Cemetery is Walsall's oldest municipal burial ground. It closed for new burials in 1894 although interments to the vaults continued until 1969. Most of the graves have been grassed over with just fifty remaining, many in a very sorry state of repair.


We were hoping - but failed - to find the grave of one of Walsall's two recipients of the Victoria Cross, that of PVT William James Thompson (1829 - 1891) who had served as a Private in the 1st Battalion, 60th Rifles, King's Own Royal Rifles Corps in the British Army. For gallantry in the face of the enemy during the Indian Mutiny in 1857, he was awarded the Victoria Cross on January 20, 1860. 



We both have a fascination for burial grounds and the weather couldn't have been more atmospheric for our visit. In recent times the cemetery has become a hang out for the town's n'er do wells but although the detritus from their habits was apparent we were the only visitors.


Back at home we ate our packed lunch at the kitchen table and spent the afternoon watching my favourite film, Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited. Jon took me to the premiere in Birmingham on my birthday in 2007 and I've lost count of how many times we've seen it since. It was all the more exciting this time having visited Jodhpur (where it was filmed) earlier this year and squealing over the places we knew.


I can't remember a birthday where I didn't go out for dinner but, you know what, I was more than happy with a plate of pasta and a few spiced rum and colas in front of the TV. And talking of TV we discovered a new subtitled series on Walter, The Same Sky, which combined three of my favourite things - spying, the 1970s and Sofia Helin (Saga from The Bridge). I think I'm going to like being 54!


Monday was D Day or, more accurately P (for plumber) Day. After my Wii Fit workout and a couple of slices of toast (we'd run out of fruit) Jon moved the furniture from out of the bay windows and I swept up in readiness for the arrival of Simon the plumber. Jon moved my PC into the music room and plugged in one of our two oil filled radiators, a remnant from the days before we had central heating, taking one into the kitchen for himself. Wrapped up in multiple layers, woolly hats & beer mittens, with a predicted high of 3°C and no heating all day, we needed every bit of warmth we could get! 


On Sunday, when Jon was cleaning his teeth, his crown came out. There's been some real horror stories in the media about the lack of UK dentistry provision since Covid struck, with people being forced to remove their own teeth as dentists were first locked down and then severely restricted as to how many patients they could see. Expecting the worst, he was amazed to get through to our dentist just after 9am and book in for next week. Fortunately he's not in any pain and I've tracked some dental wax to tide him over until then. Gawd bless our NHS!

Wearigng

I spent most of the day on my PC with the occasional visit from Stephen (Frank hid under the bed in the spare room) and a break for noodles at lunchtime. I'm wearing my India Imports of Rhode Island pinafore dress again, proving I'd make a terrible fashion blogger - although my embroidered polo neck jumper is new, from a proper shop, fairly traded and made from eco-responsible Lenzing Ecovero fabric. 


These fingerless gloves were handmade by Liz for my birthday, it's uncanny that they match this week's choice of Barry M, Fuchsia Generation, isn't it?


Simon had a few challenges when he installed the radiators - nothing in our house is conventionally sized or shaped - but he got there in the end, the heating is on, the furniture is back where it started and Frank's running around the garden like a spring lamb.
 


Jon's making grilled haloumi with roasted vegetables for tea and we'll be watching more of The Same Sky as well as the second installment of the fabulous Mary Beard art history documentary Shock of The Nude.

Sorry about the super long post, if you're still with me - well done!

Stay safe & see you soon!

75 comments:

  1. I've no doubt you'll enjoy being 54, best of wishes to you for the coming year. Long time, sporadic reader, first time commenting. I've always enjoyed your travel posts but now, during Covid, I've been reading them all. You and Jon are such an encouragement for keeping busy during what could be an otherwise truly dreary situation. All my best to you both. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! It was so kind of you to leave a comment! xxx

      Delete
  2. A lovely day out even if it was rainy. I love old cemeteries too, reading all the headstones. Glad your heating is all done, your home has had so many unexpected upgrades this year! You may have planned some but all this time has given you opportunity to do so much more. And I shall be watching that movie tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the headstones fascinating. I was intrigued by the one inscribed "Saved from the evil that would come" inscribed on the headstone of the young man who'd died at 21 year old, years before the Crimean War or WWI. I wonder what evil the parents were referring to?
      I hope you loved The Darjeeling Limited, Wes Anderson films are always a joy. xxx

      Delete
  3. Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday from Canada! Love reading about your travels and daily adventures. Would love to have some of your recipes....they always look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the birthday wishes! most of the time we make our dishes up as we go along (Jon especially!) xxx

      Delete
  4. A belated Happy Birthday Vix. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. You always make me feel as though I am wandering around with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your life is one big adventurous, well-dressed, well-fed, well-traveled, cozy-at-home adventure, Vix. I'd love to be a little piece of cat hair living on your shoulder for about a year. Oh the stories I'd be able to tell. ~Andrea XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say the sweetest things, Andrea! Thank you! xxx

      Delete
  6. What a lovely birthday weekend! I agree, not quite the same as the big piss-up with friends, but still, you get your rum and colas, your nice dinner, and the company of the lads and Jon. Not much better than that!

    I enjoy the glimpse of your dollhouse - I'm fascinated by miniature anything! I like your brown pinafore dress, although...the colour is a little...bland, for my taste. You've done your best accessorizing it, though! Your magentas (including wrist-warmers and nails!) go so well with it. I may have gasped aloud at your lovely embroidered dress, especially with the bright yellow boots!

    Another National Trust treasure! I love the treehouse and peeking in the windows. We have peacocks here - they are bold birds, in attitude as well as plumage. I love graveyards too - I've been going through our local one on my Mental Health Walks lately, as I find it soothing.

    Glad to hear Jon's going to be able to get his tooth fixed - I'm due for my next round of periodontal activity this week. Yay for your radiators! I hope they're making your home nice and toasty now. Good to see Frank and Stephen - Vizzini's also lost his feet lately (a lot of foot-tucking with colder weather).

    Have a good week, Vix and enjoy the rest of the birthday halo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! It wasn't the normal birthday but I think we're all going to love our lives so much more and appreciate everything once this madness is over.
      I have so few plain things in my wardrobe that pinafore is a real novelty. I love brown, not a popular choice but there's something about how it looks in the often-harsh winter light, warm and soft.
      Graveyards are fascinating, aren't they? We always hunt them down on our travels abroad as well.
      Good luck with your dental adventures. xxx

      Delete
  7. I'm happy to hear you had a nice birthday day...and a lovely weekend. That jacket with gold fish...what a great find! I like your outfits- as always. The blue maxi with triangles is gorgeous and so great you wore it with yellow boots. I always enjoyed the combination of blue and yellow. Your purple maxi is stunning as well. You always look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday for yesterday but you will be like us and celebrate all week!
    So wonderful to see more about Sister Dora. You do Walsall a grand service, you really do. Proud of you!
    I hope you can return in good weather and find the two graves of the V.C. recipients.

    Love the black embroidered dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jan! Always happy to give Walsall a shout-out! xxx

      Delete
  9. So good you had a lovely birthday, best wishes and all that.

    I adore your peep through the window into the kitchen - it is how I imagine Matthew & Diana's house in Blackfriars would look in 1590 (sorry, currently obsessed with re-reading the Deborah Harkness trilogy [A Discovery of Witches] for the n-th time!.

    The knot garden is a delight - I wish my garden was that tidy 🙂

    Hope John's crown is able to be fixed easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! I've added Deborah Harkness to the list of authors to investigate. That trilogy sounds right up my street! xxx

      Delete
  10. Happy Monday Vix! what agreat post! as I said I learn so much from you. Loved the story of Sister Dora. Many years ago my friend and I would walk from our office to the local graveyard and sit and have our lunch. Others thought we were bonkers but it was peaceful and quite lovely. So i get that. Sounds like you had a lovely birthday. Love the colour of your beer mittens and after queing this morning to post my Aussie peops their card am thinking I might get some. We have had no power for most of the day so went to the ol cafe i used to work at and it was so lovely to see my friends (although we had to stop our selve hugging of course) I then had a call from another great mate and now power is back on and topped off with a great read about your last few days = well all good as they say. Glad you got to peek in the house another lovely NT property. enjoy the next couple of says hugs Shazxx ps the ebay Gods are smiling on you aren't they lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shaz! I can't think of a better place to sit and have lunch than a graveyard. Isn't it weird how they give some people the heebie-jeebies? I love them, such restful places.
      You do need some beer mittens,I've been known to wear gloves with my wrist warmers on top, I hate being cold. This weeks has been far too chilly to queue. I hope those Aussie people appreciate the effort you went to posting their cards! Loads of love. xxx

      Delete
  11. woww, you're going to rock your 54's for sure, you look fabulous since the very first day!. This pinafore look adorable both with your orange silk top and with your purple top (and cute matchy wrist warmers!, so lovely present). Love your gorgeous jewellery too!.
    And so fab to see the embroidered dress in all its glory, those are some amazing sleeves and lovely colours!, and it matches your yellow wellies too!. Looking fantastic and cosy!. I always enjoy the photos of your excursions, the gardens, the house with all the decoration on, even if you have to look it from the outside, (looking like 'street urchins in a Dickens novel', mwhaha, this has made me laugh).
    And I also enjoy having a look at your dolls house and its colourful furniture, it's one of the most inspiring decorations I've ever seen!, I'm a huge fan!.
    Glad that Jon has had an appointment quickly, as everything has become so difficult these times. Having a National Health System is something we have to be grateful everyday!.
    Lovely post!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 54 continues to be good - despite the cold weather! I'm having fun with that pinafore, it's quite exciting having something plain in my wardrobe and seeing how many things it goes with! xxx

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful birthday weekend!! You're looking a very youthful 54!!Had to smile at the.bathroom, if I'm not mistaken, more plants seem to be creeping in!! I'm just the same. Can't resist buying them!! Glad Jon has managed to get an appointment with the dentist. Moseley Old Hall looks very charming. You look great in all of these lovely colourful outfits. I love Mary Beard. Isn't she just amazing!!Keep warm, keep safe and keep these posts coming!! Love from Barcelonaxxx
    ( BTW, we have a wonderful cemetery in Barcelona, on the hill overlooking the sea, so interesting, so much history, you can even go on a guided tour, daytime or nighttime, if you dare!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! Ooops, those plants keep multiplying, I can't help myself! xxx

      Delete
  13. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/montjuic-cemetery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's gone on the must see list! xx

      Delete
  14. You look smashing, as usual, Miss V. If teeth/gums pain anyone, oregano oil numbs it right up, per my experience. Read clove oil does the same. Happy Birthday! And as you're a reader too: if ever you come across Madness of a Seduced Woman by Susan Schaeffer ... Thrifted it the other day and can't. put. it. down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! Thanks so much for the tip. I knew about clove oil but oregano oil is a new one on me, I've tracked some down and shall keep a supply in the cupboard! xxx

      Delete
  15. None of your posts is too long for me, Vix, I always enjoy reading about your life. Happy Birthday! You are the same age as my sister and a few friends. Must have been a good year! You will SO appreciate your central heating working, especially with the new windows. It's starting to be pretty chilly in the evenings now. Great story about Sister Dora - what an altruistic woman! So sad she met an early death. Your hats and beer gloves are coming into their own! I love walking round graveyards and am particularly interested in eighteenth century Scottish stones "memento mori" which include emblems of mortality, trade symbols and sometimes religious allegories. Grave yards used to be busy places, used for archery practice and Sunday walks. I, however, leave my bow behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks, Catmac! It's hard to keep the photos to a minimum when we go anywhere - we're so excited about leaving the house!
      Fancy your sister being a 1966 baby, too.
      During all the furore about statues commemorating slave traders and dubious folk I was very proud that Walsall's two town centre statues are dedicated to Sister Dora and John Carless, a working class lad who was awarded the VC in WWI.
      I'd love to see those Scottish stones although I wouldn't be quite as keen on dodging stray arrows! xxx

      Delete
  16. gosh! that black & embroidered dress is even more fabulous worn by you!!!
    love the whole look.
    the new anokhi jacket is beautiful too! and your birthday sounds like a lovely day - friendly peacock, interesting NT estate, nice morbide graveyard..... and yummy pasta and enough booze :-D
    glad to hear that your central heating is working properly again, i know the difficulties of an old house.....
    "the same sky" has one of my fav actor in: ben becker. he´s incredible cool. would like to hear what you think about that movie.
    oh - and you had snow! congrats ;-D
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beate! That dress deserves many more outings, such a shame she'll be hidden under a coat for months!
      I Googled Ben Backer, he's a baddie in The Same Sky. He was a very handsome chap in his youth, wasn't he? xxx

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday Vix - 54 is fabulous, enjoy!
    Your birthday dress is stunning and thank you for sharing the story of Sister Dora.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you had a nice birthday. New heaters and new windows are going to make winter so nice at home, you may never want to leave when restrictions are over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it, staying in has never been more appealing! xxx

      Delete
  19. Happy Birthday and love the outfit, but I love everything you wear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well most of my 54 was 2020, so I hope your 54 is great! I love the image of you peeping through windows. I finally found Haloumi and am so excited to grill with salad this week. Liz's gift is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the first half of my 54 will be under restrictions, too!
      I'm happy that you finally got your hands on some haloumi - enjoy! xxx

      Delete
  21. Happy Belated Birthday! I sympathize with Jon as I lost a Crown during COVID too and had to wait Months before they reopened Dental Offices so I could get it glued back on! Then I had another Dental Emergency where I needed a Tooth extracted, Agony... and was relieved when they could finally squeeze me in for that extraction during Pandemic! You never realize how spoiled we were before the Plague when we could just book appointments easily and have no worries about risking catching the COVID when we do need Medical attention or Hospitalization! Hope it's Warm and Cozy now after the Plumber was done. Unlike you I have become slack during Pandemic with the Domestic Goddess duties... so I come for a visit here to re-motivate myself! *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm sorry you had a pandemic dental disaster. You're right, we will appreciate everything after all this, won't we? xxx

      Delete
  22. Happy belated birthday Vix! You were born the year I graduated from High school! Ahh, the fabulous 60's!!Glad you had a great one! I love your hats with the big pompoms beautiful job, love the colors, too. I have tried crochet but seem the only thing I can make are dish cloths! My lil sister taught me how to do wool applique, and I just finished an oval piece with 3 snowmen as a center piece on our dining room table. I am a quilter so this was a new project for me to learn and found I love the hand sewing it's so relaxing. I do machine quilting and only a tad bit of hand sewing on them when I put the 3 layers together. My sis has a huge sewing room and a big long arm sewing machine so she usually quilts my entire quilts together for me with her gorgeous designs. The covid is spiking in our county, thank goodness we live out in the country on the river and do not have to go to town often, and fortunately the towns close are small ones, the largest city is an hour away, and Seattle is about 2 and a half hours away. We like staying at home so it hasn't really been bad for us, will be nice for the end of covid to come though, Christmas will be really different for the first time in our lives not to see our family and some good friends. Hopefully next year we can really celebrate! Thanks for sharing your pictures of your great get aways, they are always so interesting with all the history you have with them. Stay well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chrystal! What a fantastic time to have graduated!
      Get yourself on YouTube, I find it a lot easier following a video than a book, I can keep stopping and rewinding until I get it!
      Wool applique and quilting sound really scary and complicated but the results are astounding.
      You're being very sensible in keeping your distance and curtailing the festive fun. Like you say, we'll all appreciate each other and our freedom so much more next year, won't we? xxx

      Delete
  23. Sorry I didn’t realise it was your birthday!! Opps. I am glad you had a lovely day. I would have sent you something or got Paul to. But I still don’t trust him as he bought me red bean mochi and I hate that. My expression said it all as I but into it. A mixture of sadness and disgust at the same time!!
    My mum loves going to grave yards my eldest brother died 50 years ago a stillborn and she likes to go there and tidy up the grave. She gets annoyed with the local council who mow the grounds with those huge things and damage the graves . She chased one the other week. But she did say an odd thing to me if he had lived me and twin would not be here , that’s nice to know NOT !
    It’s a shame about that national trust property being in tier 3, all that time they will have taken to get that place ready only not being able to open. At least you were able to walk around.
    Love the pinafore. That is proper Japanese style. I might be able to go home tomorrow. Yippee. But I have to use mobility aids poo!! In a country like that’s perfection I don’t like being the odd one out. So out comes the leg warmers to hide them!!
    That’s what you can make neck LOL. Take care and keep on smiling love and huggs to you all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Allie! Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be other birthdays (well I blinking hope so!) I had to Google the mochi thing, I know nothing about Japanese cuisine. It looks quite nice but it would have to be chili hot if I ate it.
      Jon was a chargehand with the parks and recreation department when he left school, when we were walking around he said he used to mow the graves at Queen Street back in the early 1980s.
      I suppose everyone lived in the hope of being in a lower tier. I must admit it's made zero difference to us - I've forgotten what the inside of a pub look like.
      Glad you're home! xxx

      Delete
  24. Still with you to the end of your super birthday post. You’ve managed to pack a lot in over the last few days and it’s all made good reading for us followers.
    I was going to say how much I love your new jacket but then got totally blown away by your new to you Indian dress, it’s gorgeous.
    Lockdown hasn’t changed my housework routine I’m afraid, I’m still slovenly haha. Although I did say to Philip I like the tidiness of the living room and bedroom. We really need to get to work on the rest of the house then we would use it more I’m sure.
    The new radiators are lovely, much nicer than the conventional ones.
    Enjoy your birthday week Vix. Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynn! It's hard to reign it all in, I get so excited about leaving the house these days!
      I'm loving the ease of cleaning these days, I used to run round like a maniac twice a year and now it's a breeze. xxxx

      Delete
  25. What a lovely day out for your birthday and it must h

    I've been waiting for ages to see into your dollhouse and now I have I see it's almost like yours, but with the glaring omission that you don't have a man for every room in your real house ... you could work on that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! That made me laugh! I went a bit overboard with the Lundby men and the tiny bottles of wine! xxx

      Delete
  26. it should have said ... it must have been magical to peek in all the windows of the beautifully decorated house during your day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I could instantly recall the lovely smell of wood smoke & beeswax that greeted us last time we were allowed to visit. x

      Delete
  27. The new dresses did not disappoint! Your yellow wellies pick up the splash of yellow in the bottom border design like a wild canary flitting through the brush; and the orchidaceous ultra-violets of your top, gloves and hat beneath the pinafore are truly stunning. We wait in anticipation to see how you'll wear the Anokhi quilted jacket! And where!
    Jon's bottle feeder is a marvel of ingenuity. He deserved more from Life than to lose a crown (which I hope he didn't swallow. That's real injury added to insult.) Here in the States a new crown would equal the cost of a major appliance: good for the NHS indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so observant, Beth! I thought the wellies would be perfect for picking up that bit of yellow on the hemline.
      A friend bought me some raspberry truffles for my birthday and biting into one inspired me to recreate the berry red & dark chocolate as an outfit.
      Luckily he saved the crown so there's a good chance the dentist might be able just to reattach it. A crown here costs £269 whereas a repair is £62 - thank goodness he didn't swallow it! xxx

      Delete
  28. It sounds like you had a good birthday. You took some very atmospheric photos. The house you visited looks cosy, especially with that roaring fire, it's a shame you could only see it through the window.
    That embroidered dress looks even better on you than it did on the hanger.
    I hope that crown gets fixed ok, what a pain that it fell out.
    First vaccination given today, let's hope they ca be rolled out before too long, fingers crossed. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally! Wed been promised a dry day on Sunday but it wasn't to be. The perfect weather for a cemetery visit!
      I love the dress, I want to wear it all the time!
      Hooray for the vaccine and for lovely Maggie who was the trailblazer. My arm's ready although i think it might be some time before they get to us! xxx

      Delete
  29. Oh no - two lots of housework! Big house and little houses as well...are you pleased you've become 'New Vix' who tackles the housework with gusto?

    Love the new pinafore; how beautifully coordinated it was with the sari blouse and I loved the purple polo with it, too. The new Indian embroidered dress is fabulous and the new jacket looks gorgeous. Ebay is being very good to you indeed!

    Glad you had a great birthday despite Covid and restrictions.

    The new radiators look fabulous!

    What a shame about the cemetery falling into rack and ruin. We have a lovely Victorian cemetery that is cared for by a group of 'Friends'; but although no one is able to be buried there - unless in an existing plot; plaques are still erected to those who were cremated; although they're almost running out of wall space to put them on!

    Take care and stay safe!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doll's house work is worse than the proper stuff, it's so fiddly! I do get a real kick out of being on top of the cleaning, it's not a chore any more.
      I usually do well in charity shops at this time of year as most people are Xmas shopping and they're empty. It looks like Ebay is the same although I'm still selling a fair bit.
      It's a shame about the cemetery but at least we didn't have to share it with the local smackheads on Sunday, I think they've all moved to the town centre now, it's almost as derelict!
      Take care! xxx

      Delete
  30. I was with you until the end, which wasn't a difficult thing to do at all. There's always lots of interest in your posts, and I'm always looking forward to seeing what you guys have been up to! Thankfully, we haven't had any snow yet, although it has suddenly turned bitterly cold. And the new Ann who emerged during lockdown still isn't very good at cleaning, for which I have to be in the right frame of mind :-)
    I love how you layered that pinafore dress, and I just KNEW you were going to wear that magnificent Indian dress on your birthday! Moseley Old Hall looks gorgeous even in the rain, and I'm amazed that Jon climbed that tree house - although I bet he didn't make it to the top floor (I wouldn't). How atmospheric is that cemetery!
    Oh no about Jon's crown coming out, but hurray for your new radiators. Definitely braving a bitterly cold day for! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! I'm glad I didn't bore you, I get a bit over-excited when I'm allowed out these days and can't stop taking photos!
      It's unusual for you not to have the same weather as us. Normally I can't bear the snow and the subsequent disruption but if we get much this year it probably won't make an iota of difference to us although the lads hate it! xxx

      Delete
  31. A belated Happy Birthday to you Vix! Glad you had a super lovely day. I have been meaning to stick my head in since the weekend, but Monsieur gave himself food poisoning (daft bat, he never checks the date on fridge food!) so I didn’t have my usual Sunday feet up blog perusal. I loved hearing the story of Sister Dora and it brought a little tear to my eye. I too find Graveyards endlessly fascinating. Your new radiators look brilliant and the Liz made gloves so snug. Mary Beard’s having a good look in that photo isn’t she! I shall have to look out for that documentary, as well as The Same Sky. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hope Mr Lulu is well on the road to recovery, the poor thing!
      I seem to remember the Beeb aired a drama about Sister Dora many years ago, she's Walsall's answer to Florence Nightingale and still loved today as you can see by the carefully tended grave amongst the dereliction.
      We loved The Same Sky, I'm hoping there's another series as it came to a bit of an abrupt ending! xxx

      Delete
  32. Happy Belated Birthday Vix! I knew it was coming up and had a reminder on my phone, but of course still managed to miss the day of. Looks like you had a nice day despite having limited options for celebrating. Your "new-to-you" dress is lovely - the embroidery is wonderful.

    Thank you for sharing the story of Sister Dora - such a selfless person, and so sad that she died so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelley! It wasn't as social as birthdays usually are but we had a lovely time and it'll make next year's celebrations ever better when we'll appreciate every bit of our freedom!
      I think it's quite unusual to have statues dedicated to both women and to working class heroes! Walsall was way ahead of the times. xxx

      Delete
  33. Such an interesting post. Amazing how through history there have been true heroes and heroines who worked so tirelessly for others, without going for fame or fortune. Such as Sister Dora. ver humbling to read about her. And happy birthday Ms Sagitarius. My astrologer daughter says that how one's birthday is each year - dictates how the rest of the year will go for them.... so guess who's in for a great year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister Dora really was an incredible person, so selfless.
      I'm very happy about your astrologer daughter's prediction! xxx

      Delete
  34. Snow in England? I bet that different. The doll houses does look interesting.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get snow most years but nothing in comparison to some parts of your country! x

      Delete
  35. G.M Vix and what a great post never too long for me. I too love grave yards and cemeteries back in the day before it became gentrified I lived in Hockley, the jewellery quarter, just round the corner from Key Hill cemetery plus had Warstone Lane up the road, I have been on a Bham university day school there plus been to open days. Very interesting piece about Sister Dora, the kind of story which for me “puts meat on the bones” of a place and what a lady she was, I have seen her statue as used to come to Walsall a lot in a former life. You had a great birthday, I love birthdays mine and other peoples but personally not a fan of Christmas, We are being upmarket today and going to Solihull to collect a package but pointless us going in the chazzas there, you need American Express! Keep Warm and Well. Brummie Sue Xx.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue! When we used to have to get our tourist visas from the Indian High Commission in Hockley we always used to park in Warstones Lane and wander through that wonderful cemetery.
      I'm with you on the Xmas thing, doesn't interest me in the slightest.
      Enjoy your trip to the posh bit! We went chazza shopping there once, dead expensive and very boring stock. xxx

      Delete
  36. A happy belated birthday to you! It's so nice seeing your new purchases and I really like that lovely dress you wore for your birthday! You have a beautiful sense of style and you know how to layer for the cold weather so well! :)



    Hope that your week is going well!

    Away From The Blue | Handbag Gift Guide

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your birthday dress is fabulous as is that pinaforea and that purple top is gaaaaaaaaaaaaawjus!!! I love it. You did well with that quilted Anohki jacket- I've been eyeing up an Anokhi quilted jacket too- it's turquoise and really nice!!! So tempting!
    What a shame about all the NT decorations!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! The quilted jackets are so warm, go for it! xxx

      Delete
  38. I'm so sorry I missed your birthday! I'm glad to see it was a good one.

    I actually have a small thing to send you, though I shall probably post it after Christmas now...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix