Thursday 24 December 2020

The Distancing Diaries - 22nd, 23rd & 24th December, 2020

On Tuesday morning I did my Wii Fit workout, put away yesterday's laundry and caught up with blog reading. After our fruit & yogurt I wrote the neighbourhood Xmas cards and finished my crochet. The postman delivered a wonderful box of handmade treats from friends Lisa & Mark who we'd met when we used to trade at Stockport's Vintage Village and shortly afterwards DPD arrived with the last of the online Xmas present purchases.

Lisa is experimenting by combining resin with vintage and has my taste spot on, this pin tray she made me matches the 1970s Michael Johnson print in the spare room.

Lunch was a Roquefort sandwich with a handful of Indian chilli snacks.

Jon and I wrapped presents in the lounge then went into separate rooms to wrap each other's gifts. 


Liz prints her own wrapping paper, too.


Tuesday's outfit was a 1970s Tori Richard of Honolulu maxi dress bought from a secondhand stall on the market five years ago. The seller let me have it for £4 instead of £5 as his friend had bet him £1 that he'd never sell anything so ugly. I'm wearing it with my thermal polo neck (from eBay) and a felted wool hat from a charity shop. The Lamani pendant came from a flea market in Goa about 15 years ago. 


We went for a walk around the block and posted our cards, remembering to deliver one to Frank's second home, thanking them for all the fuss, toys and treats throughout the year. I've never known us to post the neighbour's cards until at least Xmas Eve and often as late as Xmas Day. I'm so organised this year that I'm starting to feel like a grown-up!


Tea was a saag paneer with sweet potato wedges and a quarter of a nan bread. After a blog catch-up I joined Jon and watched a four part documentary series we'd started the previous evening about The Peter Falconio Case. Although it was fascinating we were both struggling to keep our eyes open, more to do with the wine we had with tea rather than the programme content.

WEARING: Vintage wool housecoat (our friends G'n'T), Coat (nicked from the stockroom), pompom hat (made by me), Russian folklore belt (charity shop)

On Wednesday I did my Wii Fit workout whilst the lads dashed about soaking wet and bedraggled from the torrential rain. I dyed my eyelashes, threw some washing in the machine and, after breakfast, had a blog catch-up. We drove over to Liz and Al's to hand over their presents and called in at the council tip on the way back to deposit the old radiators and some soggy cardboard. Money for Nothing often films from the Walsall tip but sadly there was no sign of the lovely Jay Blades.


Bitterly cold, windy, depressingly dark and wet, there's not many positives about Wednesday's weather other than it meant I was able to wear the 1950s leopard print sheepskin coat I'd borrowed from the stockroom last week without boiling to death.


Back at home we had noodles before I took everything down from the kitchen shelf and gave it a wash.


I swept the rugs in the lounge, moved the Wii Fit module and plastic Virgin Mary off the Mid-Century lamp table, replacing them with some plants, a framed William De Morgan print (bought from last year's birthday trip to the Jackfield Tile Museum HERE) and a vintage bamboo Buddha. If you fancy a New Year project, HERE'S how to I made my patchwork lampshade.


In the mood for swapping stuff around, using one of the pink trees and the Dala horse from Lisa & Mark's parcel, I got Liv and Sven's lounge ready for some seasonal fun and frolics.


The Lundbys will be at home on 25th December with just the cats for company. They aren't big on Xmas, as long as there's plenty of booze, some decent tunes and a cheeseboard then they're happy.





Like us, Liv and Sven aren't fans of The Beatles so have no idea where that Yellow Submarine album came from. Somebody must have forgotten to take it home after the last party.


There was another government announcement during the afternoon but moving into tier 4 didn't apply to the Midlands and the North so gyms, hairdressers and non-essential shops will remain open for the time being, much to Tony's disappointment, he works in retail and will be back at work on Boxing Day.   


Tea was halloumi with roast veg. Accompanied by rum we watched The Tailor of Panama, adapted from the John le Carré novel. It was watchable but nothing amazing, I'd forgotten what a terrible actor Pierce Brosnan is. 


It was a relief to wake up to a dry day on Thursday although I had to chip the frost off the top of the bin to squash a bit more rubbish in it. I did my Wii Fit workout, put away yesterday's laundry and watered a few of the houseplants and we had toast for breakfast. 


In normal times we meet the Dead Relative's Society for a curry on Xmas Day but obviously that's all gone out of the window and instead Tony is coming round for lunch. I prepped tomorrow's veg and after Jon nipped out for groceries, scrubbed the utility room, added a fresh towel and hand soap (so our guest has his own bathroom), mopped the floor in both there and the kitchen and cleaned the hall. 



Jon was back surprisingly quickly as the supermarket was pretty quiet. The neighbour called round with a bottle for us and a Xmas present for Frank and shortly afterwards Marcus (my brother) dropped off our presents. As a professionally qualified chef & a hospitality manager for many years, I find the old habits hard to break, and devised a time plan for tomorrow's dinner and sticking it to the fridge door. As our college lecturers drummed into us, remember the five Ps, Piss Poor Planning leads to a Poor Performance. (Sorry, chefs like to swear!)


WEARING: Vintage Afghan dress (Facebook selling page), Afghan gilet (eBay), sheepskin hat & tooled leather belt (both charity shopped), beer mittens (handmade by Liz)



After yesterday's thoroughly depressing weather, today was glorious although bitterly cold. We had our noodles, bundled up and went for a walk for a walk around the block, chatting to neighbours and returning the Happy Christmas! greetings shouted at us by strangers in cars. We needed a mug of tea when we got back to defrost our frozen fingers before sorting out a tablecloth, cutlery, plates, napkins, glasses & condiments for tomorrow's dinner table which we put to one side in the utility room . 


When I was buying Xmas gifts from the salvage & antique website these candlesticks accidentally fell into my basket. They started life as spinning bobbins in an Indian cotton mill. Chunky, battered and with a rich and fascinating history, I love them! They'll be adorning the dining table tomorrow, too.


Once I've caught up with blogland we've got a date with The Royal Tenenbaums (there's a rule in this house - no Xmas TV!) which will be accompanied by half a posh pizza. 


Whatever your plans are for tomorrow have a wonderful Xmas and thanks for your company, comments and virtual friendship. See you on the other side!

42 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Afghan dress and sheepskin hat! Love your blog, have really enjoyed reading all your posts!! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year filled with love, health and happiness!! See you on the other side! Lots of love from Barcelona! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My rule is no It's A Wonderful Life. I got a surprise gift from an old assistant: A box of homemade Christmas cookies. I've been good and after 3 days I haven't eaten them all. We're expecting the next 3 days to be crazy cold here, below freezing at night. Wish we had a fireplace that worked. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Christmas. I am going to try making the patchwork lampshade cover, many thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evening there Vix, hubster brought home some holly with loads of beautiful berries so they got added to the greenery already up. had old friends ring and text then a lovely blogpost to look at before I settle down for a relaxing evening (more organised than ever what???)love the candlesticks!the Christmas cheese plant looks great with all the prezzies "under "it lol You look fab as always and I have studied your dolls house for the first time wow the detail. Anyway have a great day tomorrow and hopefully next year it will be curry again Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a fabulous Christmas Vix and Jon spent however you want to. We are having fish and chips for tea followed by copious amounts of alcohol. Here's hoping 2021 is a far better year for everyone. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Christmas TV here either and Philip calls the Beatles 'the overrateds', not favourites of ours either ( except Abbey Road, which I like).
    Not having seen my mum since Feb and unable to visit her, with tier 4 blocking plans and finding out we are in it from Boxing day; we've decided to be totally relaxed. Got to roll with it. You must be missing your upcoming annual trip and your plans have changed too but this post was incredibly uplifting. The photos beautiful and your journal of the last few days both comforting and lovely.
    Wishing you Jon and the lads the best Christmas ever and much happiness and joy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always agog that someone could consider that Tori Richards dress ugly! I have one of her dresses too, via a family friend and it's amazing. I would wear yours in a heartbeat - you look so fabulous in it, Vix. Your housecoat is gorgeous, as is your fantastic leopard/sheepskin coat (I would buy that from your stall!), and you know how I fall into ecstasies when I see that magnificent fur hat!

    Enjoy your day, and best wishes for you, Jon, Stephen and Frank - you are dear to me, although you are far! Maybe one day I'll hop over the pond for a visit.

    Happy Xmas, Vix! Here's to joy, peace and good times, and let us raise a toast for those in their spirits (drunken huzzah!) and those who are with us in spirit (a silent raise of the glass). May the next year be a damned sight better than the last.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Vix and John and the lads- my Xmas will be same as usual day with a bit more lolling around xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treat to find your post on Christmas Eve before my first ever solo Christmas!!! How much do I love those candlesticks? Sheer class. It's very strange to have such a different Christmas but, apart from worrying about my mum's health, it is stress-free. I've just had a bath, have put on new jammies (not Christmas ones and not bought specially, found them, forgotten, in a drawer. They're not that nice, but they were reduced and new!!), I stripped and changed the bed earlier (new duvet cover. As before, bought a long time back) and am now ready for Santa. I watched the first part of Channel 5's "A Wartime Christmas" to count my blessings. I LOVE Christmas telly so am happy to watch Carols from Kings and lots of trashy telly. Re-watched Casablanca (my favourite film) and Meet Me in St Louis. Great stuff. All the best to you and Jon, Vix. Have a wonderful festive which I know will be full of good food, good cheer and good company, virtual and real (all within rules, of course!). Thank you, especially, for your post which meant a lot to me tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indian block prints are not really my thing, but that Tori Richards dress is wonderfully bold - I would parade around in it in a heartbeat. How anyone could think it was ugly beats me. The Afghan dress is looks wonderful on you too and the ensemble has a kind of Russian steppes Christmas vibe to it. Thank you for keeping me entertained all year, inspiring me to buy more colourful clothes, introducing me to several TV shows and Maybelline StaySure which really does stay - sometimes into the next day. I am now going to go dig out my copy of The Royal Tenenbaums and watch it too, my absolute favourite Wes Anderson film because it warms the cockles without being mawkish and has an absolute killer soundtrack to boot. Merry Christmas one and all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas from across the Pond!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a happy holiday and lovely 2021.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a wonderful Xmas vix!! KFC and strawberry cake for us this year 👎. We actually ate it , it was ok. But we miss Xmas dinner and trifle and my mum pottering around and the kids asking every single year what Brussels sprouts are!!! They are rare over here. Just another ordinary day here in shinjuku. Paul is going to que with light to get his
    Lucky bag and mine from the Pokemon center and my friends are grabbing mine from the stores I have asked them to.
    Just another day in shinjuku. Commercial as hell lol. Looking glorious as ever. I had to send a hook and loop kit back as it was awful so I a, awaiting a punch needle kit now!!!! made pom pom heart shaped wreaths to send to the family they are so cute. Paul got the heart shapes cheap off Amazon. So I have made them to send them, to let them know I still love them all. Have a wonderful Xmas. Love and hugs Alison

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas my dear.
    You have brought to many of us such pleasure over the last few months by sharing your colourful life so generously. Thank you so much, xx
    💚 🎅🏻 🎄 ❄️ 💚

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending the most festive of wishes to you and Jon. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the afghan dress with sheepskin outfit!!
    thank you very much for holding up the flag in this difficult times - your postings full of beauty, down to earth but never dull lifestyle and a fine dose of humor never failed to cheer me up.
    wish you both a wonderful dinner together with tony! cuddle the lads from us!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays and all the best in 2021! I love the art in your home, the new pin train that matches that gorgeous print looks amazing. As always love your outfits. Gorgeous maxi dresses. The coat you borrowed is fantastic, I like its unique take on animal print. Speaking of animals, the lads are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A blessed & holy Christmas to a dear lady I now consider my friend. I'm so glad I found your blog this year, Vix, as my life is richer because of it. Much love in the coming new year and always~ Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Christmas to you, Vix, and Jon, and the cats! Thank you for giving us all "a dollhouse for Christmas"! It's been too many years since I enjoyed sitting on the floor with one not nearly so grand as this, and rearranging the new mini furnishings stuffed in my stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wrote a comment but Blogger ate it lol.

    Looking a total delight as always Vix.

    Chocolate here for breakfast, toasted teacakes for lunch and Christmas Dinner for tea. Followed by weight-training/rowing/air walking/meditation and a bish-bang DVD afterwards. Don't have TV - don't miss it.

    Take care all - you do you and forget all the rituals you never liked anyway. Missing far too many people this year - and wishing we could run away for NYE (another painfully-forced event). Lots of love and light to all who need it xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just nipping back to add here's a link to a video
      Raga Revelry: North India's Beautiful Classical Music | Perspective
      https://youtu.be/FdA5vPR9CMA
      I thought it might bring a bit of India closer!

      Delete
  22. Those gifts from Lisa & Mark are delightful, and how lovely to get another peek into Liv and Sven's funky house! They're very sensible celebrating at home :-) That pile of presents on your does look quite inviting, and it made me giggle that the neighbours brought around a present for Frank! That Tori Richard of Honolulu maxi dress is all kinds of fabulous. Oh those people of poor taste, but then again it was to your advantage, getting it at a reduced price. I trust your Christmas lunch with Tony was at least as enjoyable as curry with the Dead Relatives Society, and that all your prep has paid off. Nothing much different for us here, but we're not in pyjamas, and have gone for a walk. Ready for our traditional Christmas "tea" now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Liv and Sven and the cats have the right idea for Christmas. I love your sheepskin hat! We're just having our coffee now and getting ready for the cats to open their presents.
    A Very Merry Xmas Holiday to you, Jon, Frank, Stephen and Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you have an enjoyable day.
    I am dying over that sheepskin/leopard coat. It is so wonderfully bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A very merry Christmas to you and Jon Vix. We are away from our families for the first time ever, and we sure miss them. Mac made the turkey and dressing and we are going ahead with what we have for Christmas every year, so we are going to have lots of leftovers. What a year this past 2020 has been, hoping we will get back to normal soon, but may be another year of this before Covid is under control. And here in the USA we have the election crisis! I will not get into politics, this is a mellow holiday!! Love your home and am curious,how was your beautiful historic house named, and when? Its beautiful and so well loved and taken care of by you and Jon. Have a wonderful New Year 2021 coming up, stay safe and healthy. Your blog is a spark of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Merry Christmas to you two. I love your daily activities- it makes me feel super lazy. Mid summer here but a cool 10 degrees, so we had a roast and have the heater on while watching home alone 3 and die hard with the niece and nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh the doll house and the outfits! I had that same fireplace in my doll house. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that swirly pattern on the dress, I can't believe anyone described it as ugly.
    And I'm so glad I am not the only one not that keen on The Beatles. Living in the Liverpool area it is an ex-communicating offence and always starts arguments. The only Beatles song I like is Blackbird.

    I hope you had a lovely Christmas.
    Jane X

    ReplyDelete
  29. Merry Christmas to all four of you :) Thursday was a beautiful day, which was lovely after the dark damp weather we've experienced recently. I've noticed more people than usual offering Seasons Greetings this year. Almost everyone we passed on our Christmas Eve walk did the same. X

    ReplyDelete
  30. I will join in the chorus of commenters who are mystified that someone would consider the Tori Richards dress "Ugly" - it's one of my favourites! Glad to see that the Lunbys are having a nice quiet Christmas. We had a big dump of snow here on Christmas Eve, which was nice for Christmas day, but I think it may stay for a while. I hope you, Jon and the fur kids had a nice day together. Sylvester and I kept each other company.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Liv and Sven's little house..I like miniatures..Everything delicious in your Blog! I wish you serene days of end of the year.. Hugs to you and the kittens!
    Carmela

    ReplyDelete
  32. I hope you had a wonderful day!

    Loved your outfits especially the last dress; the trim was exquisite on the sleeves and hem. As for Liz and Sven they sound like my kind of people! Did I spy a festive box/packet of chocolates on the shelf? I bet that's Liz with a sweet tooth...

    Hope you got some fab pressies and Lisa's work is fab! How great to have such artistic friends.

    Take care and see you in 2021 where let's hope it will be a better year for us all!
    xxx


    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely to have a look at your decorations, those so beautifully wrapped presents and some other fabulous stuff.
    Totally amazed that somebody could think that this maxi dress was ugly!, love its fab colourful stripes!. Looking fabulous in it!.
    Your wool housecoat is a favourite of mine, so colourful (and cosy!) and it looks really cool with this coat!, so amazing combo!.
    And really enjoyable photos of Lundbys' celebrations, their house is really a dream!
    Lovely afghan dress and waistcoat, totally appropriate for this cold weather!, You Rock It (once more!).
    Hope that your planning results on a successful and happy lunch!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Vix what a sad life, have had no WI FI since the 23rd, tearing my hair out, don't know what to do wIthout it, the end of life as I know it. Just had a brainwave borrowed Partners Ipad so that I can send You, John, the Fur Boys and all the great friends on here a very sadly belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. Hope you have had a good time! Apart from now being nearly bald after all the hair tearing out we have had a good relaxing time. I just hope this gets through to you, if not I will have to revert to snail mail!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Vix what a sad life, have had no WI FI since the 23rd, tearing my hair out, don't know what to do wIthout it, the end of life as I know it. Just had a brainwave borrowed Partners Ipad so that I can send You, John, the Fur Boys and all the great friends on here a very sadly belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. Hope you have had a good time! Apart from now being nearly bald after all the hair tearing out we have had a good relaxing time. I just hope this gets through to you, if not I will have to revert to snail mail!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ooh, three days all in one go, I had to pause and go and grab a cup of coffee so that I could sit back and have a leisurely read. I love the lampshade tutorial and I think I can see that happening for my new place.

    All the very best to you both, and the fur babies. xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Vix well I made a right mess of that, Unknown up there twice is the one and only Brummie Sue, I forgot to say that.Have got my WIFI back in a fashion, it keeps coming and going, but because of the reset I’ve lost some stuff. Love to you all on this very cold day. Brummie Sue Xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. It looks like you had things all properly organised, and I hope it was a lovely day. I left everything to Pete because a) our kitchen is tiny and b) he likes doing it. He'd definitely agree with your five Ps.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm so glad I'm not the only person who thinks Pierce Brosnan isn't up to the hype. Did you see him in Mama Mia - awful!!
    What a wonderful box of handmade treats.
    I like Liv and Sven, I think we'd get on :)
    Thank you for your company, comments and virtual friendship also.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix