Saturday 14 November 2020

Our Lockdown Kitchen Makeover


Five years ago Stonecroft was featured in Your Home magazine (see HERE). In recent times the white walls were starting to look dingy and depressing making us wonder what on earth possessed us to paint the most used room in the house such an impractical colour. We'd talked about redecorating for ages but somehow never found the time until lockdown presented us with the perfect opportunity to get stuck in.

 
I think it was Mei who'd left a comment suggesting Jon and I recreate the magazine photographer, Colin's photo once we'd finished the kitchen...well, today's the day and of course, we still own the same clothes five years on.


Inspired by a Victorian autopsy room I'd fallen in love with in a TV series, we'd decided to paint the walls in a similar shade of green. Normally we'd have had the paint custom mixed but due to lockdown there was a nationwide paint shortage and the only company with any stock available was the posh British paint manufacturer, Farrow & Ball and even then there was a four week waiting list. The price of a 5 litre tin of Arsenic brought tears to our eyes but it was the perfect shade and the quality was so good that we only needed one coat on the walls. 

Our chilli lights were from this website

As it was lockdown we didn't have access to DIY shops or salvage yards so we had to make do with what we had lying around. Thank goodness we're hoarders! The cupboard in the photo above was a bog standard laminate one bought from Ikea's Bargain Corner over a decade ago. Jon cut up an old wooden pallet someone had kindly dumped over the garden wall to clad the front and sides and salvaged the legs from an old Rajasthani coffee table to hide the ugly metal feet. We had some turquoise emulsion lurking in the depths of the coal house which I mixed with baking power to make chalk paint. I applied a couple of coats to the wood, then sanded and waxed it, giving us the distressed finish we both love. The brass peacock handles were an impulse buy from a roadside stall in Goa a couple of years ago.

Jon replaced the existing tiled worktop with the top of the coffee table. Browsing a tile website we both loved their textured marine blue tiles and were able to order them on line and have them delivered. We'd already got some coloured grout leftover from when Jon tiled the lounge fireplace. The shelves were originally part of a Victorian cupboard which Jon cut to size and waxed last week, we bought the Singer brackets online.

Another online purchase was a few metres of textured apple green vinyl bought from a car upholstery supplier I found on eBay. We sanded down and repainted the 1930s dining chairs which we'd inherited from Jon's mum, who in turn had inherited from her parents, and recovered the seat pads. 


Our off-white retro fridge packed up last year and we replaced it with this Bush model. The black version was half the price of their other colours and lucky for us, it was the one we liked the most.


In the magazine feature this frame contained a repro film poster than came free with The Guardian which we've since replaced with a vintage lobster tea towel I bought for 50p from a charity shop. The Hindu leaf paintings, bought in India in 2000, have always been in this frame but I updated the boring beech finish with some homemade chalk paint. The collection of antique Indian matchbox covers were a £1.50 eBay find, the wooden frame came from the clearance charity shop a few weeks ago.


I'm sure you'll remember me painting this Victorian glazed shop cupboard back in the summer. It cost £5 from a car boot sale and hung on the opposite wall for years. I revamped it with the Farrow & Ball Arsenic paint and painted the inside with blackboard paint so it that didn't completely blend in with the wall.


The freestanding cupboard was originally the base of one of those orange pine dressers that were all the rage in the '70s. It belonged to Jon's grandparents and followed us from our previous house (the top part hangs on the wall in the utility room). We gave it a lick of paint and Jon added a new top using a section cut from an Edwardian paneled door rescued from a skip, staining and waxing it. The drawers are Edwardian and made from old Cadbury's & Fry's Chocolate packing crates. They were a car boot sale find years ago and cost a couple of quid. I stained and waxed them, but not too carefully, I hate old things to look new.



The antique wine rack, another car boot buy, also got a chalk paint makeover. 


And talking of chalk paint, I also revamped this little key cupboard bought for £1 from a car boot sale, replacing the hooks for Victorian glass bottles dug up in the garden of our previous house. 




When we bought Stonecroft there were two recesses which we decided to knock into a single, larger one. We used a reclaimed railway sleeper as a mantle shelf.  There's spotlights and an extractor fan behind.




Jon built the corner cupboard using the doors from the aforementioned Victorian cupboard and some handles from a knackered 1930s dressing table that was used as firewood years ago. The architrave came from Liz & Al's wood pile. This too was painted in Arsenic paint.


The shelves are planks of wood salvaged from the Victorian cupboard. There's the Moghul inspired shelf Sarah made for us, isn't it a perfect match?





The shelves above the kitchen window were once part of our Rajasthani coffee table.



The glass pendant lamps were an online purchase. The previous shades (a mix of car boot finds and Ikea) were repurposed as garden planters.


The brand new bespoke Belfast sink unit was an eBay bargain years ago, the seller had changed their minds about the style of kitchen they wanted and just wanted rid of it. The brass taps were a car boot sale find as were the black porcelain knobs.


Ignore all the junk on the top of our larder, an antique Hungarian cupboard, Jon refused to move it just for a blog photo!  This came from a junk shop in Walsall ages ago.


Check out my spice rack, a vintage Indian bread tray I'd originally bought as a present for a friend but decided I couldn't live without it! 



My DIY kitchen clock. In Colin's photo it was advertising Corona beer (not the most appropriate thing to have in these strange times!) I spray painted the silver frame a metallic champagne gold with a can I found lurking at the back of the cupboard and, using the old picture as a template, I cut around a laminated image of Bollywood goddess, Helen, from the legendary 1967 movie Jewel Thief, which I'd bought from a flea market in India donkey's years ago.

 VIX: Vintage Krist Gudman of San Francisco patchwork maxi (gift from ex-blogger Krista), silver ankle boots (La Redoute, 2016), 1960s copper & turquoise pendant (inherited from Mum)  JON: Diesel Black Label waistcoat, vintage pin striped wool trousers, 1970s tooled leather belt, Jiggler Lord Berlue shirt (all charity shopped)

Our online purchases were the pendant lights, tiles, Arsenic paint, Singer shelf brackets and green vinyl, everything else was salvaged, repurposed and revamped using stuff we already owned. Our kitchen will forever remind us of lockdown!

Stay safe & see you soon.


84 comments:

  1. Well, that's a bit wow! Puts my little lockdown efforts to shame; I love the colours & the way you've re-purposed things. We're working on the idea of scaffold-plank shelves for our kitchen at the moment, but I'm just a bit terrified of actually putting them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, lovely lady! We'd originally planned to use scaffolding planks for shelves but there turned out to be a national shortage during lockdown. They do look fab and I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd offer to send Jon and his drill but he's got another list of jobs to work through! xxx

      Delete
  2. I love the apple green vinyl chair covers! Is that a Singer sewing machine in the wooden box on top of the yellow hungarian shelves??? I heard yesterday on the Betsy-Tacy video from susanbranch.com that the original green paint in the late 1800s actually had arsenic in it! This killed the flies off that landed on the green painted walls of the kitchens. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! Eagle eyes! That is a Singer sewing machine - we did have three - all inherited. We put a couple outside during the first lockdown for people to help themselves and made a couple of people's days!
      There was a documentary on BBC4 about the dangers within Victorian homes, including arsenic-based paint. I'm pretty sure it led to the death of Napoleon! xxx

      Delete
  3. WOW WOW WOW that is what I say !! Happy Sat night Vix!! I have enjoyed the sneak peaks you have showed us and now the whole tour of the kitchen YEAH! - Jon is a handyman extroidinaire and well the creativeness and thriftiness of this kitchen is a sheer delight. I had a huge smile on my face scrolling through this and I remember each lockdown project. I could go on and on but I am going to just say CONGRATULATIONS on a brilliant transformation. Magazine worthy again! Just bloody amazing. Enjoy your night and I raise a ginger beer to you guys tonight. Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile, Shaz! I raised a glass of rum to you after reading it so we could share a virtual drink! xxx

      Delete
  4. I am gobsmacked!!! What an a-maz-ing kitchen!!! Watching it develop has been interesting. You two have incredible taste, and are both so artistic. (I am envious, but in a lovely way, 'cos I'm glad for you both) And the magazine article? Loved that too. Just goes to show how when we are true to ourself - strange and wonderful things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulously unique. You chose a brilliant colour for the walls. Love all your nick backs and ornaments. Gorgeous and stylish too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun. I love re purposing things. You have to use your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that magazine Stonecraft was featured it, it was among Lynn's gifts when we met up! I love that you recreated the photos!
    Although I followed your makeover through the long weeks of lockdown 1 and beyond, it is wonderful to see it in its full glory here. What an utterly amazing room you have created, and how marvellous that so much of it is made from re-purposed materials. The wall colour is brilliant and all those little details, knick-knacks, kitchenalia and holiday souvenirs makes it one of the most individual and imaginative kitchens I've ever come across! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise you'd got that magazine. I'll have to get them back once we've sorted out the hellhole that is the middle room! xxx

      Delete
  8. I love your kitchen and love all the upcycling and reimagining that went into it. You are an imaginative and resourceful pair, it's gorgeous.
    The arsenic green is so perfect and taking your inspiration from an autopsy lab is mad fab!!
    The Indian references are so personal to you both and your years of travel. It really has the wow factor. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sally!
      I do get my inspiration from the strangest of places, once I'd seen that Victorian morgue wall I knew nothing else would do. xxx

      Delete
  9. loooove your kitchen even more with all the green and black.....
    it was fab in white, but that arsenic green makes it really exotic - which suits your lifestyle perfectly. i´m impressed by all the DIY-furniture and wish i would find a hungarian cupboard.
    your kitchen makeover is extremely inspiring - thanx for posting it in all its glory!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate! The green really makes everything stand out, doesn't it? It feels like the sun is always shining in there, too. The light seems to bounce off the walls! There were two of those Hungarian cupboards in the junk shop, I'll always regret not buying both of them! xxx

      Delete
  10. It's lovely and it suits the two of you. Love the reuse of so many items. You really are masters at recycling. If nothing else comes of lockdown at least you got a lovely kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tammy! We do love it now although it's taken an absolute age to finish it! xxx

      Delete
  11. Love it! The amount of work you both put into it! You've something to show for the months at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lockdown 1 wasn't so bad after all! xxx

      Delete
  12. So cool to see how much you've changed it in 5 years (mostly in the last year!) and it looks all the better for it. That arsenic paint colour is to die for! (ha!).

    Jon's outfit is excellent, although I did giggle at Jiggler Lord Berlue (tee hee). You look amazing as always, Vix! Your bright purple looks even better in your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sue if the name or he colour of the paint appealed to me more!
      Jon's shirt has got a ridiculous name though, I couldn't remember the label and it did make me laugh when he read it out to me. xxx

      Delete
  13. If your hoarders, looks like your pretty organized at it. And that spice rack is clever.
    Not sure if I mention there cafe here, and there ladies room have black and white floor.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dora! I do like a black and whte floor although they are terrible to keep clean! x

      Delete
  14. I love it, it feels much more you now! I also love to see that you don't have a ton of kitchen electricals cluttering up the sides that only get used once in a blue moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arsenic has made all the difference! We've got a toaster and a blender that live in the cupboard, we don't own anything else not even a microwave. Electricals do spoil kitchens, I 'd rather do without! xxx

      Delete
  15. Vix, I am so in awe of how you and Jon have redecorated your kitchen using online purchases and salvaged finds. Incredible!

    I think that magazine ought to feature your kitchen in it again! X


    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll do a Craig Revel Horwood "FAB - U - LOUS, darlings". Well done, well done, well done. So worth waiting for. I'm very amused, Vix, only you could be "inspired by a Victorian autopsy room I'd fallen in love with" and make the macabre a decorating trend! The kitchen has the wow factor and your inventiveness using recycled/pre-loved furniture and artefacts makes it unique. I am not a fitted kitchen person either but my own is looking very sad and tired (as is the whole house, frankly). I have really enjoyed watching your kitchen evolve. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Craig - I mean, Catmac!!
      I'm a nightmare, I get inspired about the strangest things. I can't follow a TV plot without being distracted by someone's coat or a cupboard!
      Several people were horrified when we told them we had no intention of having a fitted kitchen built when we bought Stonecroft, they leave me cold. xxx

      Delete
  17. Wow well done, I have been waiting ages for this! And I haven’t been let down, it was certainly a feast for the eyes . I love all the bright colours, I hate bland and boring kitchens and ones that follow trends yuck!! we couldn’t decide on a paint colour for the walls so it is just polished plaster. I love picking up second hand bits off the junk man like you have your car boots we have the lovely old junk man.
    But seriously well done done to you and Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie! I can't understand why anyone would follow fashion when they're decorating a house, you'd be bored of it in a few months. Homes need to reflect the people who live there not the taste of some boring stylist, don't they? xxx

      Delete
  18. Your kitchen is a masterpiece. I loved seeing the transformation. I went back to see that post with the article once again. So great you saved your grandmother's home, if more did the same, we could have more historical homes to leave for future generations.
    The arsenic blue paint is gorgeous and it fits the place so beautifully. Your kitchen looks so organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivana! It's been a real challenge but we're thrilled with the result now! xxx

      Delete
  19. Looking at Jon's handiwork in your kitchen reminds me of your handiwork at the sewing machine -- and that the lesson to be learned from both is that repurposing vintage items and clothing may legitimately require cutting, sawing and reassembling. Use it up, wear it out; make it do, or do without! (And I can easily imagine your ancestors nodding in approval at your thrifty ways! There's an overhead garage door in my family that is hung using a scrap of steel salvaged by Grandpa A in 1935...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! We both think that if we'd done the kitchen in normal times - with access to the shops - it wouldn't have turned out as well. It's been a real challenge trying to make do with what we already had and thinking creatively but it's made it all the more special and personal to us.
      Loving the sound of your garage door! xxx

      Delete
  20. I remember the article (and blog post) of last time around - it looks so much warmer and more homely with the new colours and there are so many things that are special to you that make it yours, I love the lobster tea towel but what stands out above everything is that everything has a use, is functional, colourful and fun AND mostly recycled/repurposed. You did a great job - and neither of you look any older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a gamble buying paint online without trying a tester but it turned out perfect, I can't believe how bright and sunny the kitchen looks even on a day like today. xxx

      Delete
  21. Brilliant post Vix! I think you, Jon and the kitchen look even better five years on. How funny that you spotted the colour in a Victorian autopsy room on TV (I was admiring some 1970s units in a spy film the other night). It is a gorgeous colour though and the apple green colour of the chair seats is one of my favourites. What a great idea putting the dug up Victorian bottles in a little key cupboard. This is my kind of kitchen - quirky, full of colour and reclaimed items… and yes, it makes me want to paint my boring white walls! Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lulu! We'd been dithering about a kitchen wall colour for ages but I saw that Victorian morgue and that was that! I was tempted to buy more of that apple green vinyl and make a cape, a vast improvement on my bus nutter raincoat! xxx

      Delete
  22. Love this! I don't think you will regret the Farrow & Ball paint. We have decorated one room with it and the depth of colour and the way it changes in different lights is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maeve! You're right, the walls seem to be constantly changing colour, it's mesmerising. xxx

      Delete
  23. You've hardly changed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your kitchen must be a pleasure to spend time in Vix.Mine is not-it needs a makeover badly and the paint is peeling off the walls and is very damp this year-And your hair looks So shiny and in great condition x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I used to eat and run, Flis! Now I want to spend time in the kitchen, it feels so cosy and cheerful now. xxx

      Delete
  25. Your kitchen and dinning space looks so gorgeous. I would spend most of my time there enjoying the beauty and artistic display of everything. I came across your blog today and I'm so happy to be here, and to join the family. Looking forward to read more of your posts. Be blessed and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ruth! It's lovely to meet you. x

      Delete
  26. What's the word I've learned? Zhusing- you sure did a wonderful ingenious job all around your kitchen. The colors just speak to how your and Jon's personality shows in the blog. We all need to love on our homes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What beautiful pictures of a beautiful home Vix and not forgetting Jon for all his hard work too. I hope you have got the same weather over your bit of the West Mids that we have here, bright and sunny, maybe a bit chilly but thermals will put that right, I’m off for a walk to scrunch through the last of the leaves and I might even find a few windfall Bramleys it’s a good to be alive day. Keep Well. Brummie Sue Xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! It's a real pleasure to sit in there now, I used to eat and run!
      What a miserable afternoon it's been here, luckily it stayed dry while the chaps were finishing up but goodness me, it was dark by 2.30! Hope your foraging proved successful! xxx

      Delete
  28. I have massive kitchen envy, not to mention what a fantastic size it is compared to my teeny tiny space. And I love how you re-enacted the magazine shot. You have such a great sense of style and I am in awe at your transformations. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jules! The kitchen is the biggest room in the house, I think why Jon spends most of his time in there! xxx

      Delete
  29. btw Your hair looks so beautiful. That's a sign of a good hair cut when it looks just as good days after the cut and without hairdresser's styling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It seems too look longer since it was cut! x

      Delete
  30. Wow the kitchen is amazing and I love the stories attached to all your finds. I have to agree though that the thing that shone out brightest from the photos was your hair. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! I was surprised when I saw the photos of my back, I didn't realise my hair looked like that! xxx

      Delete
  31. I have been waiting for this....

    The lockdown kitchen is beautiful. Reduce, re-use and recycle all brought to life with such flair. I love the Arsenic paint and the quirky cupboards; all the things on your mantel shelf - everything is lovely, quirky and interesting. Well done to both you and Jon and are going to invite the magazine to come back and do a follow up?

    Take care
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vronni! It took a while but we got there in the end! Maybe when we've sorted out the tip of the middle room we could get back in touch with the magazine for a follow up (and remind them that we live in Walsall and not Cheltenham!) xxx

      Delete
  32. woww, thank you for this fabulous post!, you know I'm in love with this 'Arsenic' color and think it's perfect for your kitchen!. And also in love with every revamped piece and everything you brilliantly repurposed.
    Actually, it has been so entertaining and inspiring to see the whole process and how it was taking shape into this glorious colorful kitchen.
    Once more, thank you!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! We love Arsenic, it really seems to reflect the light and makes all the bits we;ve had for years look new and exciting. xxx

      Delete
  33. you have a beautiful home vix x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Serious kitchen envy! It's fabulous thank you for this post it's so lovely to see the finished room. xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your kitchen - a perfect mix of functionality and style. The colour, and the name, of the paint you chose for the walls is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love it!! All the work you have put in has turned this room into the most beautiful space, the colour is amazing and sets everything off so well. I much prefer a room that evolves with much loved things like this, to an off the peg fitted kitchen, however posh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue. I love a room that tells the story about the people who live there too. x

      Delete
  37. Your restyling is fantastic! How much work ... Every detail is made perfect ... the color, the new life of furniture and objects! Congratulations to Jon (he is a master!) And to you! We love to give new life to furniture and objects, we too are always in "work in progress" !! Have a nice week and let's stay safe!
    Hugs, Carmela e Davide

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fabulous... you are being so productive in Lockdown, it is always so Inspiring, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It is utterly gorgeous!!!! I am so impressed and adore the colour- it reminds me of our spare room colour which is Farrow and Ball Dix blue. We love their paints- we used their Pigeon shade for our hallway.
    The restyling really is marvellous- it needs another magazine shoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! Farrow and Ball is worth every penny, we're so pleased with Arsenic! x

      Delete
  40. It looks fabulous and I had fun playing spot the different between the two photos :) I love how each new addition has a story - the old wooden pallet someone dumped over the wall, the feet from an old Rajasthani coffee table, the peacock handles, the little key cupboard and it’s bottles. It’s lovely to see all the projects you completed over the summer all come together.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's funny how your kitchen can have changed so much and still look completely you! I love the way you repurpose bits of things that are too knackered to keep whole.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix