Thursday 8 October 2020

More Quarantine Stories

 


The end is in sight and we're within reach of the end of our quarantine. 


Life continues pretty much as it normally does despite being housebound. Having a food delivery from a supermarket we seldom visit means that we've had the chance to some of Asda's vegan offerings and can confirm that their plant-based meatballs were very tasty indeed (served with homemade tomato sauce and some linguine we'd had in the cupboard since before lockdown.)

WEARING: Vintage Anokhi maxi skirt (eBay), Mirrored waistcoat (Colaba Causeway, Mumbai 2016), Bodysuit (Topshop sale, £3)
 
Despite nobody but the odd delivery driver or postman seeing me I'm still getting dressed. 

Bastard massive 19th Century Indian tribal pendant (£5, Bristol flea market, 2015)

On Tuesday Jon had an industrious morning, cleaning all his boots, sharpening some tools and attempting to sort out the problem with electric cool box we take to festivals with us, the official diagnosis being it's f*cked. I wasn't half as busy, cleaning the dressing table, sweeping the stairs and having an online chat with a friend.


Last week I placed an order with Superdrug as I was running low on nail varnish remover, Hard as Nails and my shower puff which, after two years of near-daily use, was falling apart. Jon's favourite Original Source shower gel was on special offer so I added four bottles to the basket. As a loyalty card holder delivery is free if you spend over a tenner. It arrived just as Jon was taking my photo so we signaled for Izzy the postman to leave the box on the step.


The day had started off sunny so, after our lunchtime noodles, I decided to photograph some of the stock and list it on eBay, selling one item less than a minute after uploading it. That's brilliant, said Jon, but how are we going to post it when we're not allowed to leave the house? Oh dear! I'd forgotten that minor detail. Fortunately Tony came to the rescue, I wrapped the parcel, paid for the postage online, printed off the label and arranged to leave it in a safe place so he could swing by on the way home from work and drop it off at the post office.


Needless to say that the sunshine didn't last. During the afternoon the torrential rain led to the poor lads being marooned under Gilbert for over an hour. We felt terrible as we'd shooed them outside minutes earlier as they were both pestering us. 


Tea was a Greek feast with plaka gigantes (courtesy of Asda), various cheeses, homegrown tomatoes with basil, coleslaw, and tzatziki along with a slice of Ray's sun dried tomato sourdough. Later we watched a couple of episodes of Spooks including the infamous deep fryer incident. How can that be 18 years ago? 


On Wednesday I was woken at 6.15 by Stephen standing on my chest and shouting like the house was on fire. As usual, as soon as I was out of bed, he settled back into my spot and went back to sleep, leaving Frank & I to open up the house. 

I can't believe that, in a matter of three weeks, it's now dark when I get up. After I'd sorted out the lads' breakfast, wheeled out the garden waste bin and done my Wii Fit workout the sun was starting to rise. I dashed out, cut down the delphiniums, pruned the yucca and stuffed the trimmings into the bin and then slung a load of washing into the machine, hanging it up in the utility room once it was done.

After our fruit & yogurt I asked Jon if he could sort out my precious Gohill's boots as the snakeskin was starting to peel off in places. (Read about them HERE). Armed with Copydex, a craft knife and a knackered belt he glued down the dodgy bits and replaced the bald spots with tiny pieces of leather he'd cut into diamond shapes. They're now good for another 54 years.

WEARING: Recycled sari top (All About Audrey, Brighton), vintage suede skirt & tooled leather belt (Charity clearance shop), 1960s Turquoise & copper pendant (inherited from my mum), Snag tights (birthday present)

I bought (and wore) this recycled sari top to death in India earlier in the year but it had yet to feature on the blog, although a similar one I bought in Jodhpur regularly makes an appearance. I was in two minds whether to pack it away with the rest of my summer stuff but when I was sorting through the stock I'd spotted this 1970s suede skirt and thought it would be ideal with the top. Talk about shopping your wardrobe, I'm shopping my shop, having not traded this year there's all manner of treasures I'd forgotten about. 

Wednesday was cold (hence the tights) but a dry and rather lovely day. Again I took advantage of the weather, took more stock photos and listed another ten garments for sale on eBay, taking a break from the measuring for some noodles.

As its replacement had been delivered (left at a safe distance on the step) we sat in The Egg for a final time, swathed in blankets, hands wrapped round mugs of steaming tea while a cheeky robin sat in a bush serenading us until Frank started pestering Jon for his dinner.


Talking of which... we ate roasted King Edward potatoes, peppers, onions and tomatoes with grilled halloumi, washed down with a bottle of Tiger beer. Later we watched another episode of Spooks, Ambulance and drank rum while the rain lashed at the windows.



It was still raining when I got up at 6.15 on Thursday morning. After my Wii Fit session I caught up with blog comments, taking a break to join Jon for fruit and yogurt at the kitchen table. The rain had eased off so Jon set to work in the garden dismantling The Egg while I sorted out my knee high boots, scrubbing the soles and polishing them. The only pair I bought new were my Ilse Jacobsen handmade yellow rubber boots - the rest are either charity shopped, car booted, Ebayed or inherited. Modern boots are always too wide around the top, making my legs look like broomsticks in a bucket (as my Mum always used to say).


Next job was to tackle my tights drawer, making sure that all the socks were paired up and the tights were ladder-free. That beautiful hand-painted lavender bag was a gift from my friend Betty when she visited us when we were trading at Bexhill-on-Sea last Summer. 


After a break for noodles I took some stock photos and listed a few more items on Ebay, discovering to my delight that I'd sold a couple more things meaning that Tony's services will be called upon yet again. 


I haven't added a link to my eBay page as I don't like to mix business with pleasure & I'm crap at self-promotion but if there's anything that catches your eye feel free to email me, I'm always happy to offer mate's rates for regular readers and to my virtual friends. 


Despite the skies looking somewhat ominous I was able to pop outside with my clippers and deadhead the geraniums which were looking a bit battered after all the rain. The good news is that they still have plenty of signs of life left so I won't need to over-winter them just yet. I'll get some pansies to replace them once we're allowed out, which should provide some cheer over the winter months.



Tea was a vegetable balti with half a coriander nan each, it's definitely curry weather.

Stay safe & see you soon!

38 comments:

  1. The quarantine has been so worth it for that wonderful trip.
    I'm not enjoying the darker mornings and evenings, and it's clocks back at the end of the month. Never mind, we shall find ways to get through the winter, and I know your posts will inspire me.
    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are loving watching spooks again. Loved it the first time round and it has stood the test of time even if it is a bit grim. I wouldn't mind the link to your ebay page and certainly wouldn't expect mates rates. Velvet jackets/waistcoats are something I adore

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can't do festivals ebay may be your saving grace, I highly recommend you link your instagram to ebay (even if not the blog), model the item on ebay then link to the listing. It is so much easier to buy clothes if you can see what it looks like on a beautiful person (and you are :)). I keep hearing about more lockdowns in the UK, I truly hope you get to do more than just stay at home after your quarantine. I am not self isolating even with my health, I feel that life is for living so we are practicing safe social distancing and mask wearing when out. Yesterday went to a lovely farm market with my Mom, felt like old times almost

    ReplyDelete
  4. just took a peak at your ebay page, very tempting. I think Jon mending your snakeskin boots is pretty amazing. I have Linda McCartney meatballs to try this week and was amazed when I went into sainsburys for a decco, they have a huge selection including pukka vegetarian leek and potato pies which I might try soon. I felt famous for a second when you mentioned my lavender bag! thanks - I am surprised you still have it :) I have a bag of lavender from the garden and was thinking of making some more. when you finish your tv line up try Ozark on Netflix, I can't stop watching - am on series 3 now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, looking fab, Vix xxx I loved Spooks. Especially the first male lead spook (not The Boss). English crime is far preferable to the USA ones, from the quirky (midsommer Murders) to the more deep ones. Whatever I can find on Netflix or youtube. And fantastic that you're still trading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. I have the brooms in bucket syndrome, I get mine from Jones when they have a sale - it's so hard to get boots for skinny weedy legs like mine when you have massive size seven feet to go with them lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind Autumn much, but I don't like the days getting shorter. The streetlight outside our house switches itself on earlier each day, and soon it'll still be dark when I have to leave for work. I'm so glad it's still only two days a week, so that I can still enjoy the garden in daylight during the week! I'm pleased to hear you've been able to sell some of your stock on eBay, but I'm also glad you rescued that gorgeous suede skirt, which looks an absolute treat with that recycled sari top. And those boots! I remember them and their incredible story. And the multi-talented Jon did a fabulous job repairing them. Such dedication! I've just got out my ankle boots, but with the weather we've been having, I'm tempted to get out my tall boots too. I think I'll need blue ones, though, and perhaps yellow ones too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve sorted my wardrobe and put together some outfits for autumn. I’ve got some new cord pants that go with so much of my stuff I could wear them every day. They’re urchin pants and it may be a step to far for the wandering welder but I love them. One thing I can’t see any of my mates wearing a pair haha.
    I’ll take a leaf out of your book and get my tights drawer sorted next. A job to do after my sister’s visit this weekend. I’m keeping fingers crossed they don’t shut the pubs and restaurants while she’s here. It’s not great up here if the news is to be believed.
    There’s so many lovely things in your eBay shop you should put a link up xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes - curry weather. and ginger tee.
    no wonder your wares sell so fast - you got some fabulous stock! and you are the best advertisement by looking total stylish in that velours skirt, sari blouse - those sleeves! - and snakeskin boots. autumn foliage looks pale in comparison......
    chapeau to jon for restoring the boots!
    stay warm and dry! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Spooks, it was so ahead of its time. I might go and re watch it all again. I recently watched Homeland again from the beginning, another series I enjoyed over the years.
    Janey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your posts do much!Great one!
    xoxo
    beautyqueen000.blogspot.rs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am new to Spooks. I honestly don't know how I managed to miss it as it's right up my street. Loving it even though I've landed in the middle and am having to work out who is who. I am partial to waistcoats so I particularly liked your waistcoat ensembles. You look really lovely in those outfits. Well done in almost completing quarantine. Our wings are clipped but NOT being allowed out is a different feeling as we all remember from lockdown. Soon you can buy pints of milk and post parcels with abandon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear the egg has come down for the season. I'm still sort of in denial, and our weather is playing along so I can be fooled until we get snow!
    Good to hear your fab boots are set for another half century.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love MI5 (what Spooks was named in NA). Never mind the young leads, there's something about Harry that just appeals to me. I think it's the quiet demeanour that hides a will and force of steel. The chip fryer episode scarred me.

    Winter is fast approaching, our trees are nearly naked.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Vix, you have inspired me to sort out my autumn wardrobe. The sleeves on your orange recycled sari fabric top are incredible! How good of your Jon to fix your boots for you. He’ll be on ‘The Repair Shop’ next...for fixing boots that is, maybe not ice boxes ;) Your Kinky Melon Boutique looks ace and completely the type of store I’d visit. The lads are very funny, sulking under the camper van and stealing your bed. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt the same way this morning when I woke up in the dark at 7am. We'll be falling back an hour any day now. Really love the orange outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know you was a vegan. My youngest son is one. The few dishes I had at his home was pretty darn good. Both hubby and I are laying low, we're in area that majority people think this virus is hoax.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have NO idea how much I am craving a homemade Spaghetti Bolognaise! It looks wonderful! All the food does, in fact! I had some lovely cabbage and runner beans from the school allotment for dinner tonight- so tasty!
    I do love your orange outfit! Looks really pretty. I've looked at All About Audrey's tops and dresses and wondered what they were like.
    You have some lovely items for sale! I hope you manage to sell lots!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to see you can still make some money still. I send all my unwanted items to work or to zozotown which is like a second hand site, but I really only send things there that I know they are interested in or you will get sod all.
    The weather is changing here, a slight chill and it has dropped to about 25 degrees here, in the winter it does get cold, but it doesn’t seem to long.
    I used to hate the English winters as I have SAD but now I don’t mind the Japanese ones as they make them seem so jolly. Even if they don’t celebrate Xmas we are more new year over here. KFC for xmas !! That’s our Xmas lunch!!
    Spooks, I didn’t realise it was that old I am showing my age Now !!! Take care and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's awesome that your shop is still going and that you sold some of your stock right away! Although I'm still shopping, it's higher quality stuff, and less frequent, and I'm rediscovering the joys of shopping my closet (bastard massive closet post coming soon!). I love your boot collection, and nodded admiringly at your lovely autumnal shades.

    Poor lads, getting trapped under the bus! Vizzini was completely traumatized by the vacuum cleaner and by me moving his food dish. He pokes his paw in my mouth at 5:15am every morning like clockwork, little monster.

    It's darker here in the mornings too - all the leaves are turning. I'm glad you got a replacement for the Egg so that you can still be outside. I was happy to see lots of really warm clothes in my winter collection.

    Have a good weekend, Vix and Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Vix,

    I have been a faithful reader despite my absence -- we also went on vacation, missing the terrible hurricane in Mexico by a matter of a day.

    Do you happen to have any harem pants? I believe (OK, this is scary) that you owned a magnificent black pair circa 2015 or 2016? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brightening my day as you do but you're been outclassed today. It was so good to see Tammy's post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kudos to Jon for his skill and patience in restoring those handsome Gohill's boots! (Having made some repairs to museum displays, I'm curious about how he cut/copied/pasted those diamonds.) They are the perfect visual balance to that stunning sari blouse, both in color and pattern interest!
    My cats are also refusing to re-set their morning schedules. I swear they're now eating breakfast with their eyes closed, the better to return to bed immediately and snooze until dawn. Time to "beef up" my own fall menu: fortunately for the planet the local market carries ye olde faithful Morning Star plant-based "sausage" products which the cats find uninteresting. Your spaghetti bolognaise is inspiring me to explore the meatball section. Quorn tastes of tired mushrooms; there must be something worthy of my tomato sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How wonderful that you were able to save those gorgeous boots for another half a century! You look beautiful in Fall colors, and as always such a pleasure to see your daily life - there is something soothing about it, and always inspiring. I had curry just a few days ago, and I cook something spicy pretty much all the time, but especially in cool weather. I think you are a very natural self-promoter, dear Vix, in the best sense of the word - you just live your life and share it genuinely. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The tribal pendant looks fascinating, I found myself looking at it and trying to work out what the little figure on it looks like.
    Jon has done an amazing job with your boots, that's a very resourceful fix he came up with, a restoration project even! The outfit you are wearing them with is fab so e of my favourite colours.
    It definitely is curry weather, we had cauliflower and lentil curry last night we love vegan meatballs too.
    You are much more of an early bird that me, I haven't actually seen a dark morning yet!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful outfits and it's strange to see you in a short skirt and tights but you looked fab! 'Broomsticks in a bucket' made me laugh out loud; I have the opposite to that problem; I struggle sometimes to get my calves into some boots!

    The dark mornings are horrible and I hate them. I don't mind the dark evenings so much.

    How clever of John to fix your boots and what a brilliant collection you have. And talking of collections' some fabulous garments there for ebay. I was sorely tempted but I am trying not to buy anymore clothes for a while.

    Good friends are worth their weight in gold - well done Tony!

    Take care and stay safe; enjoy your freedom when it comes.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have the opposite boot problem with my chunky calves. Even when I was thin it was an issue. I agree with CheapChick (and always good to hear from her) your eBay posts would be beautiful modeled on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love spooks and your Balti looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jon has done a great job with your boots. They look brand new. I love your outfits and the fact you enjoy dressing up even if there is no occasion- something I can relate to. The outfit with the maxi skirt and the vest is fabulous. I also like orange and brown styling- flare sleeves paired with that gorgeous skirt and boots. The black and red outfit with the vest is stunning too.
    I spotted the lads hiding under the van (Gilbelt, is it?) right away. Poor things. But at least they had their fur to protect them and weren't directly under rain. Nobody would enjoy getting caught up in the rain. I'm surprised they didn't predicted it, often cats have a six sense about these things.
    Yesterday my husband came back from Mostar, he had to go there to pay the bills for our house and all the cats were waiting for him. Not exactly our cats, they belong to our landlady, but we feed them too. I understand how the cats know when I'll be back from school, my working hours being pretty regular...but how did they know the exact minute when he will be back - and with a catamaran? He wasn't here for a week but when he came back, they were all very pleased, like - now things are back to normal. Funny little animals.
    I don't see why you shouldn't link up things and clothing items from ebay to your blog, even if you don't feel like advertising them. I don't feel like using my blog to sell things as well, I'd rather write about something interesting, but a link to things is always helpful because people are so used to shopping by clicking.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're so disciplined with your tidying and organising. Your brown suede skirt puts me in mind of the mini-mini one with buttons up the front which I used to wear in another galaxy.A word of caution on using the tingly Mint and Tea Tree on one's personal extremeties! Just sayin'. Did you watch the John Lennon docu on Beeb Four last night. It was really, really good. Gut-wrenching at the obvious point. Have a good weekend and sell,sell,sell. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. After spending an hour trying and failing miserably to heard five sheep into our second field ... we now have three in one field and two in the other ... it was lovely to come in change out of wet things and fall into this wonderfully colourful post whilst hugging a mug of coffee. I bet you will be so relieved to get out of quarantine, not that there's much more we can do or places we can go with all these local lockdowns but just knowing we are allowed out is sometimes good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I get dressed everyday too, it would be so easy to live in PJs with hair pulled back and no make-up, but getting dressed seems to give me purpose. My wardrobe is not nearly as fun and colourful as yours though.
    Hasn't the weather been awful? I know it's autumn but it could ease us in a little more gently.
    How lovely that your snakeskin boots will go on for a while longer.
    I'm glad your ebay shop is going well, and how lovely to have your own private stand-in postman, that's something I could definitely get used to.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooh I hope you do well with your online selling - do you have larger sizes? Will Blogger let me post a comment today? lol Anyhow I'd love to buy your swag and support your business if I can. Would comment more if Blogger let me - love your writing and glorious photos! Take care - stay strong and stay safe xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Opaque tights... one of my favorite things on this planet. I love your orange ones, Vix, and those boots! Oh those boots! :-) ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Vix another great collection of photos and commentary, just what’s needed on a day like today, we have so dropped into Autumn in the blink of a eye. Had to smile at you saying “Our Noddy” as in this house that is what we have always called him, now you being a Walsallonion I’m sure that’s allowed but not sure if OK coming from a mere Brummie! Yes, he’s great but I have always wanted to see him as a straight actor, think he would make a fantastic Dr Who. Not long now and you will be able to walk round the block, keep dry and take care. Brummie SueXx.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very sorry Vix, I think I should have spelt that Walsallonian and not onion! Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely to see you keeping yourself busy around the house and garden!, and looking so fabulous!. I love your maxi skirt and massive bastard pendant (wow), and love your waistcoats!. Glad to read that your snakeskin boots have been restored, these are fab boots!, and they look so cool with those orange tights and lovely sari-top (ohhhh, those sleeves!).
    My boots and waterproof shoes have been taken out and my tights have been arranged yet in their drawer. Love your collection, dear Vix!, lots of colour and fabulousness!
    Lovely photos of delicious food, always inspiring!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  38. The maxi skirt and the sari top are wonderful. The vegan meatballs look so yum!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix