Sunday 11 October 2020

Life in Quarantine - One, Two and Free!


I was up at the crack of dawn on Friday morning to book a National Trust slot for next week. After my last Wii Fit session of the week, Jon joined me in the kitchen for our fruit and yogurt breakfast. He'd ordered some replacement back lights for the van from eBay which had arrived the previous day and, after watching a tutorial on-line, went outside and fitted them. I left him to it, layering up and taking stock photos in the garden.

Friday was cold and out came the warm layers - my 1970s knitted turban (worn backwards), orange polo neck jumper and roaring lion buckle belt were all charity shop finds, the vintage Papillion Indian block print wrap skirt & original 60s Afghan waistcoat were eBay finds. I don't think the waistcoat's featured on my blog before even though I wear it loads. It was listed in the wrong category, cost less than a tenner and is insanely cosy. The previous owner bought it when he went to a fancy dress party as fellow Black Country-ite, Robert Plant.


After a break for noodles, Jon did a stock take of the cupboards and placed a smallish order with Asda for delivery on Sunday. 

This week marked the 30th anniversary of Some Friendly, The Charlatans debut album (you may have spotted the gold and silver discs that hang in the bathroom). Jon spent a happy afternoon reminiscing with friends on social media of those crazy times.

Link to my eBay shop HERE

Meanwhile I uploaded my photos and listed another twenty items on eBay then wrapped up the latest sales ready for dispatch on Monday morning. 

Link to my eBay shop HERE

Any further plans for more photos were scuppered by a hailstorm mid-afternoon so after dashing outside to lock up the Kinky Shred I started on the gargantuan task of soaking the houseplants.


Tea was a salad with the rest of Ray's sourdough bread which Jon had managed to revive by soaking it and warming it up in the oven. We spent the evening watching more Spooks and Gardener's World with some rum for company.


On Saturday Jon got up first to see to the lads. He brought mugs of tea back to bed and I made a start on A Man Called Ove having finished The King's Witch on Thursday night. I'm loving it so far.

Jon started on the breakfast whilst I stripped and changed the bed and took the houseplants out of the bath. I loaded the washing machine but as it was peeing it down had to dry the bedding in the tumble dryer. I put another load of houseplants to soak in the utility room sink, and on a water-filled tray next to it, before enjoying my Cauldron veggie sausage & fried egg sandwich.

Once dressed I wrapped up more eBay parcels and, once the rain had slowed down a little, took more photos under the shelter of the bastard massive lime tree and listed another fifteen items on Ebay.

Link to my eBay shop HERE

As we're going to be at home all winter (the first time in over twenty years), I thought I'd better invest in some new thermals, not having found any in the charity shop this year. Just like when I buy new knickers& bras I search the Marks & Spencer website for what I'm after and then search eBay for traders selling over-makes - the same product just with the store logo removed. I liked the look of the skinny fit black polo neck jumper and leggings in their Heatgen range and was happy to find both in my size, at a third off the current retail price.  They were from different sellers but both arrived with the postman on Saturday lunchtime. Winter, I'm ready for you!


On Saturday I wore my vintage India Imports of Rhode Island maxi with a 1970s Anokhi short sleeved jacket with patch pockets (both eBay buys) along with a Moroccan atomiser pendant given to me by a friend. Jon found my Clarks' Orinoco Club Chelsea boots in a charity shop earlier this year.




 It's just as well Asda were all out of pickling vinegar, our green tomatoes are starting to ripen up nicely. For tea Jon roasted some of them which he served with a flatbread from the depths of the freezer, chips and salad.


We watched the first episode of Grayson Perry's brilliant new documentary Big American Road Trip before another couple of episodes of Spooks in which my all-time favourite agent, the beautiful Ruth, made an appearance. Needless to say that, being a Saturday night, more rum was consumed.


On Sunday I was up first, seeing to the lads, swapping the plants in the utility room sink for the final few and making tea. I brought the tea back up to bed where we read for a while before I got up and washed my hair. 


We had toast for breakfast in front of the Andrew Marr Show. I painted my nails in the newest addition to my Barry M collection, Black Pistachio, which I love.


And the rest of my outfit......

WEARING: Anokhi block printed maxi dress (bought from their flagship store in Jaipur, 2019), vintage pixie jacket, River island velvet boots and Aldo fedora (all charity shop finds)
 

I might not be a fan of the season but Autumnal colours make my heart sing....russet reds, burnished bronze and rich deep greens...all things I love to wear.


Happily it's velvet season so I get to give my vintage pixie jacket & ankle boots an outing for the first time in months.


Sunday marked the end of our fortnight of quarantine. How did we celebrate? By grabbing our masks & a bin bag stuffed full of donations and heading to the charity clearance shop. As I've mentioned before, it's a huge place just out of the town centre and open seven days a week. All the clothes, books, records, bric-a-brac & accessories are priced at £3 or under. While the clothes are mostly of the Primarni cheap and nasty variety it's a pleasant place to browse with hand sanitiser stations & a screened-off checkout and, as it's so vast, it never gets crowded. The soundtrack is always excellent, this morning it was 1990s dance music. Happily each & every customer was wearing a mask unlike the horror that is Poundland, where we popped in to get batteries for my Wii Fit. Chazza shoppers are obviously a far classier bunch than the scutters who frequent pound shops.


If there are any vintage clothes they're more often than not hideous 1980s acrylic dresses with whopping great shoulder pads and dropped waists so I was really excited to spot a bit of crisp cotton poking out from the skirt rail. I loved the print on this skirt, an eclectic mix of pink flamingos, exotic leaves, prowling tigers, sleepy cheetahs, blue antelopes and lilac cacti. At first glance I thought it was 1950s but with the zig-zagged seams its possibly a later piece. Although I can't find anything out about FINEWEAR, when model is written a label it generally means that the garment was a sample, sent out by the rag trade to individual boutiques for the owner to decide whether to have an item made to order. I love that it could have been the only one of its kind ever ever made. Once I've washed it it'll be stashed in my summer suitcase ready for my next trip to Greece, it'll be perfect with my yellow clogs and a vintage basket. A steal at £2.


This pretty embroidered Indian cotton cami, originally from Topshop, will also be going in my Summer suitcase (£2). Jon was excited to find this deadstock Bogart 1970s novelty Spanish print shirt with dagger collars, a real rarity to find one in a large size, they're usually too small even for me! That's destined for the eBay shop. Wild Thyme in Ibiza sounds right up our street, the memoirs of a man who lived there in the 1960s & 1970s, before the advent of mass tourism to the island (50p). The houseplant complete with ceramic pot was from Wilko (£5), we'd popped in for soda crystals & bird food and you know that it's impossible for me to pass the plant stand without picking something up.



Back at home we'd just finished our noodles when the Asda order arrived, brought by Ian, the delivery driver we'd met last week. We were his last drop of the day and, with a shared interest in music, festivals and classic cars, Jon and he stood on the step chatting for ages. 


After the groceries were sanitised and stashed away Jon set to work on erecting the replacement for The Egg, our outdoor shelter for the winter months. We bought the bronze chiminea for a pittance from the closing down sale at Focus back in 2011. I always knew it would come in useful one day.

Link to my eBay shop HERE

Meanwhile I listed a few more things on eBay before giving Jon a hand with moving the pot plants. We were planning a celebratory walk round the block to celebrate our freedom but that can wait until tomorrow, the charity shop, Poundland and Wilko is more than enough excitement for one day.

Stay safe and see you soon.

PS I've spent so long with my eBay listings that I'm way behind on replying to comments and visiting blogs. Normal service will hopefully resume shortly.


67 comments:

  1. Hurrah for freedom! Samantha Morton chose one of The Charlatans songs on Desert Island discs last Sunday. I can't remember which one though. Your hair colour is looking particularly autumnal, it's a gorgeous colour(s). Thanks to you both for doing the two week quarantine, us normal people appreciate your consideration, if only the othe covidiots would do the same we might have a chance of cracking this pandemic.Enjoy your new-found freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there was a reason why I liked Samantha Morton!
      Thanks you, Carole. We could easily have ignore the rules and got away with it but we felt like we had to do the right thing. I just wish more people thought the same way.
      I'm excited about my hair. I haven't dyed the ends for almost two years and I love how the sunlight is lifting it to almost my natural colour. xxx

      Delete
  2. So glad your quarantine is over, and glad you did it! Far too many skirt the rules. I had to chuckle when you said your were moving your pot plants. Here "pot" plants are marijuana plants and other plants are potted plants. We can legally grow them now (in restricted amounts of course). Love the clothing...much too small for me, but I have a great love of textiles and they remind me of the 60's and 70's when fashion was more my thing. Good luck with the sales.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barb!
      Haha! We speak the same language yet there are so many differences! Marijuana still isn't legal here, I'd better be careful with my terminology or we might end up getting raided by the police in the early hours!
      I do have clothes up to a UK size 20 but unfortunately a lot of larger sized vintage was of the more matronly style and I only buy what I'd like to wear myself. xxx

      Delete
  3. That's a fab styling. Your 1970s knitted beanie (that I would never have guessed was a turban worn backwards) is adorable. I have a similar one that my grandmother knitted for me. The orange polo neck jumper is great and I love the waistcoat you paired it with. The waistcoat looks so cozy and fab. Isn't it funny how some of the things we wear often don't end up on blog. The vintage Papillion Indian block print wrap skirt is fantastic pairing with this. I also loved your printed maxi dress paired with a green vintage pixie jacket. Great outfits, both of them. The things you listed on ebay all look fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! I love the shape of the turban but its fun to mix things up, wear them backwards or try out different combinations, isn't it? My wardrobe is the emptiest it's been in decades yet the possibilities seem endless, probably as I can see everything in there clearly! xxx

      Delete
  4. The purple maxi dress you wore is also gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you have a selling outlet and are seeing some immediate success selling, I know you've sold the odd thing there and have bought loads but this is the year that people have to buy things online and they will hopefully buy your stuff! The listing with you modeling are even better! That green velvet jacket is my absolute favorite- looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, my lovely friend! I took your advice and used a few old photos of me modelling a few of the dresses. It's definitely the year for online buying. Waiting for a parcel can be a real highlight on a miserable day, even if its just a thermal vest! xxx

      Delete
    2. This is so true! I'm super excited to receive parcels at the moment!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for putting a link to your shop Vix. Your stock is looking good.
    You two seem busier now on a daily basis than before covid. You’ll be wondering how you had time to work when we get back to normal.
    Love Jon's musical memories. Where has the time gone.
    Have a good week busy people.
    Love from us two xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynn! Photographing, listing and measuring takes an absolute age, I've procrastinated over it for ages but once I've got started I'm quite enjoying the process although I'd much rather sell face-to-face and chat! xxx

      Delete
  7. It must be a relief that quarantine is finally over. We all need those little trips outside our own four walls to keep our sanity. Well, at least I do! As a fellow lover of Autumnal shades, I am swooning over your outfits here. The final one, topped by that gorgeous pixie jacket, is my favourite. And wow, your hair is looking gorgeous! I'm also loving the new Barry M nail varnish, what a splendid colour. Most of our charity shops are out of town ones the size of that clearance shop. I wouldn't like to go inside one of those smaller high street ones. That skirt you found is gorgeous, as is the deadstock novelty print shirt. I'm glad to hear you've started trading on eBay again, and selling well, so it seems. Can't wait to read about your next NT outing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If someone had told me at the beginning of the year that I'd stay in the house for two weeks and not go stark raving mad I'd never have believed them! I was giddy with excitement about venturing out this morning, I even my outfit hanging up last night.
      I'd dithered about that Barry M paint for ages, it really is gorgeous.
      One day we'll travel to Belgium and you and Jos can show us those charity shops in person. I haven't visited any of the small ones since March, apparently a lot of them can only allow a couple of people in for a limited amount of time, which takes all the joy out of the experience.
      I'm so excited about our next NT visit! xxx

      Delete
  8. Hiya Vix, I'm totally flippin' out that your Jon was in The Charlatans! I grew up in Madchester and The Charlatans along with the Stone Roses and Black Grape were played in a constant loop in the clubs... wow, that takes me back to some awesome nights out! (My brother went to school with the Gallaghers and my friend used to find Shawn Rider asleep in the bus stop on the way to school)This has really made my day listening back to these tracks! Glad you enjoyed a Chazza run on your first day out of quarantine. I might have just ordered something lovely & quilted from your ace shop ;) Lulu in Cornwall xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lulu! I'm so glad you've snaffled that jacket, I was sorely tempted to keep it, it's so cosy!!
      The Madchester era was just the best, wasn't it? It's hard to believe The Only One I know is thirty years old. I remember watching The Charlatans on TOTP and telling people that I was in the same class at infant school as the guitarist, never expecting to end up living with him.
      Great Gallagher and Shaun Ryder connection, there. After a few beers Jon will often recall some crazy tale from back in the day, many of which I can't divulge on here but if we ever meet at a festival I promise to share! xxx

      Delete
    2. Oh that is so lovely that you went to school together xXxXx I bet there are some cracking stories ;) Looking forward to the jacket :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, I absolutely love your autumnal Anokhi outfit with that gorgeous pixie jacket. The green velvet looks magical, I love that colour.
    The 1990 Charlatans photos are great, they look so young! 30 years! Happy anniversary Jon.
    I loved the film of a man called Ove and we watched Grayson Perry's Big American Road Trip. I just love him, when he laughs it always sets me off!
    Wild Thyme in Ibiza looks good, I bet it was wonderful back then. We found the North end of the island not too touristy and there's stillman hippie vibe to it, we love it.
    Glad to hear the quarantine's over and you're free! Have a fun week. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sally! I was so excited about going out this morning I even got my outfit ready before I went to bed - unheard of for me!
      Where on earth did those thirty years go? Those songs still stand the test of time. I'm not biased, honest!
      I bet the Ove film is wonderful, I'll have to track it down. I feel the same about Grayson Perry's laugh, its so contagious and heartfelt. xxx
      PS You're welcome to that book when we're read it

      Delete
    2. Thank you, that's really kind of you, I'd love to read it when you're both finished with it. xxx

      Delete
  10. Having beautiful velvet pieces to wear does make up for the cold weather-almost. My goodness your plants are thriving! Whatever you're feeding them, they clearly like it. Glad to hear you've made it through quarantine. If you weren't an ocean away, I'd snap up that Dollyrockers maxi you listed. Not that it would fit me anyway, but wow-what a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearing velvet is one of the better things about this time of year, I do love it!
      I'm not sure what's going on with the plants but so many have shot up over the last few weeks and I thought we'd reached the end of the growing season.
      That orange Dollyrockers dress? It's amazing, isn't it? I was tempted to take it in and keep it! xxx

      Delete
  11. I love the Autumn colours too, tis my favourite time of year. I checked out your ebay sales - that Kaiser kaftan is fabulous - but not for me right now. I noticed your hair is looking really good with the balayage colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the sun's out it really is beautiful out there.
      That kaftan is a beauty, isn't it? I wear mine to death.
      Swimming in the sea and the Greek sunshine have lightened the ends of my hair even more than before. xxx

      Delete
  12. I'm a summer person as well but I do love the coziness and colors of fall. I loved A Man Called Ove-a successful book club selection. I'll be curious how you find it. I am glad your quarantine was uneventful and now done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying A Man Called Ove, it reminds me of The Unlikely Pilgrimage by Harold Fry (by Rachel Joyce), if you haven't read it I think you'd enjoy it. xxx

      Delete
  13. I loathe Autumn but I am loving your Autumn-hued outfits!
    I was SO excited to see the Giraffe dress for sale but sad to hear it is synthetic/chiffony- as I don't get on with that type of material- Honestly SOOOO tempted by the Vintage 1970s *Gabrielle Fouell Originals* Block Print dress- it's cotton and my favourite colour and has a colllar and is maxi- tempting....
    OOg, rather loving that houseplant- tempted to visit Wilko- I DO need a new hoover bag...
    I did that with my M&S bra- I really like the non-wired bras and found a good one on eBay cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Dark mornings, damp, drizzle and spiders. I don't get the appeal!
      Like you. I'm fussy with fabric. The giraffe isn't too bad as it's lined but I can only wear it with massive heels as taking it up would ruin the print. The Gabrielle Fouell dress is a joy.
      I rarely bother with bras but on the rare occasion I do it has to be non-wired and unpadded! xxx
      Treat yourself! the houseplants in Wilko are gorgeous! xxx

      Delete
  14. Thank you for wearing a mask. I believe we can learn anything on line, I learn to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learnt to crochet on-line, too - it all fell into place after years of trying and failing to follow instructions in books. xxx

      Delete
  15. Well, if I only could afford a two weeks quarantine, I would go on a trip too. :-) Beautiful photos again. Love your style and the clothes. home and garden. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being self-employed has it's advantages! xxx

      Delete
  16. That pixie jacket is so stevie nicks !!! I totally love it!! I love everything you wear . We popped into uniqlo to get our heat tech tops, they are a fraction of what M&S are and they last for ages !! This is the second set we have had to buy whilst living here.
    I would love to buy some of your peices but the import costs boy!! It’s almost double!!!! so I shall admire from affair !!! I am stuck into reading crime and suspense novels at the moment. Mum sent me some old ones patrica highsmith . God they had a vivid imagination back then!!! Anyway take care and be safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, darling! I remember a blogger raving about Uniqlo thermals ages ago, they looked lovely.
      I absolutely love Patricia Highsmith, The Talented Mr Ripley is my favourite. I read it years before the film came out but that was pretty good, too.
      Stay safe & healthy! xxx

      Delete
    2. I have just finished the glass cell it was fab !!

      Delete
  17. I love your pixie jacket - gorgeous! My plants get a similar spa treatment, the two delicious monsters used to be lugged upstairs for their bath but now they are just too big to carry now and have to make do with jug water! They seem to have survived :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! We're too good to our houseplants, aren't we? I blame lockdown and having the time to lavish loads of love on them all. xxx

      Delete
  18. GM Vix Drab morning here in the West Mids but the colours in your post are so cheerful, it makes my day to look at them you are keeping so many peoples spirits up, I do like the Autumn and the colours it brings, what I don’t like is the tat that it brings into the shops for Halloween and C*******s The charity clearance shop looks a real wow, sort of place I like, too many chazzas are now all cleared up and expensive, mind you one of our local ones have a box of oddments outside telling people to take for free, I picked up a cotton tablecloth, do I need a tablecloth? No comment Enjoy your day we don’t know what later will bring re lockdown? Brummie Sue Xx.



    to fill the shops right now for Halloween and C*******s all a load of junk. The sell off Cancer Research shop certainly looks some place, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening, Sue! Yesterday was grim, wasn't it? I was expecting the same today but Shefali got it wrong, it's been glorious for most of the day.
      Gah, C********* and Halloween tat, I used to loathe that new stock some of the chazzas used to sell.
      Liking the sound of a free tablecloth - or anything free, really!
      Walsall has joined it's neighbours with the high risk category, when will it ever end? xxx

      Delete
  19. I love reading about Jon's misspent youth!!! Your hair is really gorgeous just now and works so well with the autumnal colours you are wearing. I am now retired which means I will be in an unheated house throughout the day. I was lucky enough to be in a M&S outlet last year when it was selling thermals off dirt cheap. Last winter I wore two pairs of thermal long johns and two vests underneath layers of jerseys! Did the trick. Nobody saw me then looking particularly glamorous and absolutely no one will see me now as, in Scotland, we can't have anyone in our houses. It is a bit dour with winter approaching but, hey ho, like you and Jon obeying the quarantine rules, our eyes have to be on the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catmac! I wish I could get Jon to do a guest post and share a few stories but he's sworn to secrecy.
      How fortunate to come across that M&S outlet and stock up on thermals. With us on the brink of lockdown we're thinking along the same lines, loads of layers and less reliance on the heating/wood burner. I've pinched the most ridiculous 80s cardi from my stock room, it looks mad but it's deliciously cosy!
      We're in a high risk zone too so no visitors in the house for the forseeable future although garden visits are fine, hooray for the shelter. Take care. xxx

      Delete
  20. such a lovely post - exactly what i need in this strange times........
    love your "winter garden salon", it looks very cosy. would like to come over for some tea with rum!
    yes - autumn suits you colorwise - all the warm reds and browns and deep greens look fabulous on you - especially with the rusty shade in your beautiful long hair.
    did the boys look cute?! 30 years! where did the time go.....
    i´ve yet to place the order for the eco-wool-thermals we use to buy for ages - a bit pricey though but very long living and extremly comfy. and made from happy sheep´s wool without nasty chemicals.
    hooray for ebay sales! with the chazzas overcrowded with cheapo mass ware, no wonder people flock to your web shop with all the stylish and neat presented vintage clothing!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beate. I'm glad you enjoyed my ramblings!
      I'd love you to pop over for some tea laced with rum, I'll get the chiminea lit.
      I love the sound of your eco-wool-thermals. I'm thinking about investing in a sheep wool duvet, so much better for the planet and for us. xxx

      Delete
  21. Always fascinating and uplifting to read your blog. A range of beautiful Anokhi block print pieces for us to enjoy and velvet too! I love the atomiser pendant. I too have had some charity shop little treasures of late. Recently I found a gorgeous 1970s Jean Muir dress in my size which I plan to wear this coming weekend to the Mary Quant exhibition currently on at the V & A museum. At the weekend I found a shirt I have been searching everywhere for years, the Liberty print Ianthe design. It cost me all of £1.99! Retail shopping just does not match that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alysia. I really enjoyed reading about your latest charity shop finds, what great timing with the Jean Muir dress, perfect for the Mary Quant exhibition - which I'm rather envious of! I found a Liberty Ianthe shirt in a chazza last year (sadly not my size so I passed it on to a pal), how mad are people to spend so much on a classic item like that and give it away? It's not like it will ever date! xxx

      Delete
  22. I bet it felt good to be out and about!

    I'm so glad you've put a link to your eBay site; I've looked at it and alas the ones I like are all too small. Just as well really as I'm trying not to buy more clothes...

    Your outfits were all fabulous. I particularly liked your Anokhi jacket - what I call a really useful piece. The atomiser pendant was beautiful and I adored the new Barry M colour nail polish - a greeny black like a beetle's back. Well done you on the thermal underthings; I must follow that tip next time I need stuff.

    Congratulations to Jon on his album's 30th anniversary - how young he looks in those photos; a mere slip of a boy!

    You did well on your first chazza excursion and I loved your pot plant; good old Wilco!

    Take care and stay safe
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited about venturing out on Sunday! I even wore false eyelashes.
      I shall try not to tempt you with my wares. As next year's festivals are looking more and more unlikely I thought I'd better do something with the stock mountain. I'd forgotten what was in the shed!
      Love your description of the Barry M nail paint, very poetic!
      I love Wilko - no mask dodgers in there! xxx

      Delete
  23. Thank u so much for making the quarantine sacrifice, it means a lot to those who are super vulnerable at the moment. Thank u too for the link to eBay, I just gifted myself the cape for chemo trips, because yes I pre plan my outfits for the only social engagements I have at the moment 😹😹 love the kitties, outfits n trips they brighten my day. Did u ever do a post about the snax tights u tried? I usually stock up on mns coloured hosiery in the January sales but that won’t be an option this year. Stay Safe n best wishes LittleMissP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, LittleMissP, I'm so sorry to hear about your chemo treatments but love your attitude of dressing up and making the best of the situation. With such a positive attitude you can conquer everything. Wear that lovely cape and have a big safely distanced hug from me.
      Those lads haven't been on the blog for a few day, they refuse to pose for me. Little devils.
      The Snag tights are absolutely brilliant. I'm not a fan of tights normally but they fit really well, a good high waistband that stays put. Well worth a splurge.
      Loads of love to you. xxx

      Delete
  24. love your autumnal colours, they are all my favourites too, although, like you, I am a total summer loving sun worshipper. 30 years. Ohmygod, that makes me feel depressingly old. So glad your time in quarantine is over, but thank you for doing your bit - wish there were more like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julie! I try to hold on to summer as long as I possibly can, nothing beats the feel of the sun on your skin, does it?
      Those thirty years really did whizz by, it's quite alarming. xxx

      Delete
  25. I have to confess that 80's and 90's music virtually passed me by as I was at home playing the good wife but I did hear an interview a couple of months back on Radio Scotland with someone from the Charlatans, I think his name was Tim somebody? I get my M&S stuff from the Original Factory Shop when they get some in although there is an M&S Outlet online too if you didn't already know about it. You surely suit all those autumnal colours and your hair is glorious. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim Burgess! Jon & he have only just starting talking again after 30 years!
      I shall hunt down the M&S Outlet. I rarely buy new undies as Marks and Sparks' stuff lasts so long. Some of my pants are almost vintage! xxx

      Delete
  26. I have loved catching up with your posts Vix - it's been a while.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Anokhi jacket is beyond fantastic and I love the Indian cami. What terrific finds. So good that you have ebay for selling (and buying) for your fab Kitty Melon stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ratna! I'm really pleased with that jacket, a useful layering piece and pockets are always good! x

      Delete
  28. Greetings to Jon on the anniversary of a milestone in his career! He's a shining example of a musician who grasped not only his craft but also the nature of the entertainment business -- and so defined his own success. Well done, Jonathan Baker/Jon Day!
    Until I studied the photo more closely, I thought you'd invented a variation on the Navajo jacla necklace, incorporating the lion buckle with strands of beads. Nope, but the look works well with the Afghan waistcoat and jumper. I might give it a try with a buckle from a belt that *ahem* no longer fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Those thirty years certainly flew by.
      I'm liking your idea with the buckle from the obsolete belt, very inventive! xxx

      Delete
  29. Your outdoor shelter looks like a Maharajas Palace Vix-and Jon hasn't changed much apart from his hairstyle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flis! I'm so glad we've got it, perfect timing as we're now in the high risk zone and can't have people in the house! xxx

      Delete
  30. Hurray for freedom, and charity shopping. Unfortunately, the ones around here can be hideously overpriced. All your clothes look fabulous, but as someone who feels the cold terribly I'm particularly taken by your new thermals :)
    I'm off to have a nosy at your e-bay shop now. Thank you for the link. X

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ack! I missed this post in the flurry of my birthday week!

    Loving seeing all your eBay goodies - that orange dress with the cross shape calls to me! You did so well with that circle skirt - the pattern seems very late 80s/early 90s to me, and it's wonderful.

    I just picked up fleece-lined tights and I'm excited to wear them. I do many layers under my clothes this time of year!

    Your pixie jacket brings back memories - I had a velvet pixie skirt (tie-dyed velvet with bells), made in India, that I gave away to a fellow blogger a decade ago.

    Your new Egg is magnificent - it's going to be wonderful for seeing friends in the winter! I'm hoping our friends who have yards will be taking similar measures for outdoor gatherings.

    Have a good week, Vix!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think it’s safe to say that you dress more colourfully than most, no matter what the season. I seen to be living in my favourite grey hues at the moment.
    Black Pistachio is gorgeous. And that skirt is lovely, what a find!
    Your outdoor shelter looks really cozy, I can often be found sitting in my greenhouse at this time of year, but it’s hardly suitable for visitors!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. On weekends I catch up with your posts by looking at the most recent one first and working backwards which is why you'll see a comment on the newer ones before the older posts. You are THE best dressed of everyone I know who doesn't leave the house to go to work you. I LOVE the outfit with the fur-trimmed vest and the lion pendant!! I have lost my will to dress up when the only person who sees me is the cat.

    Uniqlo, a Japanese company that has stores in Canada and the US and probably over there, has a line of heat tech leggings and tops that do very well to keep you warm in the winter. I have two pairs of their over-the-knee heat tech socks (which, sadly, they don't carry anymore) that I wear under jeans in the winter and they keep me toasty.

    Every time I look at your Ebay page there's only one or perhaps two things listed. Your stuff must sell in record time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix