Monday 2 March 2020

Travels in India, 2020 - A Night in the Thar Desert


They say that camel-trekking is the perfect way to sample Thar desert life and, although neither of us had been on a camel since we'd crossed the Sahara back in the early '90s, as we were in the desert city of Jaisalmer it seemed crazy not to book a desert safari.


Competition between safari organisers is cut-throat and standards vary wildly with everything from half-day tours to a month of full-on trekking. You can do glamping, staying in a luxury tent with an attached bathroom, dining on lavish continental-style buffet meals with at least 100 other tourists with entertainment provided by a troupe of Rajasthani dancing girls or there's the more authentic option - where you sleep on a string bed under the stars, eat simple vegetarian food cooked over a campfire, enjoying the company of a handful of travellers and the camel men themselves (and, when nature calls, you head off to a sand dune with a torch!) 

I'm sure you can guess which option we chose.


We'd booked our trip with The Real Desert Man Safari (HERE). Most of Jaisalmer's camel safaris are centred around the dunes at Sam, 40km west of the city, which the Lonely Planet warn are always crowded and are more of a carnival than a back-to-nature experience. The Real Desert Man offers treks off the beaten track, which appealed far more. 


Our twenty-four-hour adventure started with a visit to the abandoned village of Kuldhara, once home to the Paliwal Brahmins. A combination of persecution by a powerful minister, earthquakes and drought led to the area being abandoned almost overnight in the early 19th Century.













 After exploring the sublimely peaceful, honey-coloured ruins we made a brief stop at an oasis before continuing on our journey further into the Thar desert. 



No sooner had we disembarked from jeep than we were introduced to our camels and told to climb on, somewhat disconcerting, with it being a quarter of a century since we'd last ridden a camel! Amazingly we managed it, with our dignity intact, and grasping the knob mounted on the front of the saddle, held on for dear life.


I managed to ferret my camera from the bottom of my bag and take this quick shot atop my camel before stowing it safely away.


As we meandered through the Thar desert we saw chinkaras (Indian gazelles), desert eagles and even a couple of adorable white-footed desert foxes. Micky, the dog in the photo, belongs to the camel men and trotted alongside the entire time.

Nine kilometres later, with sore bums and aching thighs, we'd reached our destination. My camel was called Bablu (like our friend at the Gouri Haveli).



 Jon's camel was an elegant young chap named Mango with an adorable curly coat. Both were gentle creatures, none of the spitting or uncouth behaviour normally associated with camels!


After we'd dismounted, the guides removed the camels' seats and they ambled away. We asked what would happen the following morning and were told that they'd come back when they'd eaten and rested. There was no need to tether them, the camels are loved by the camel men and in turn, love them back, they have no reason to run off. 



Glamping? No thanks! Home for the night was a traditional Indian charpoy string bed out in the open, piled high with blankets, the desert gets extremely cold during the Rajasthani winter months.


We hung our bags from the fence and cavorted in the sand dunes.





Freshly brewed chai in hand, we sat watching the sunset accompanied by some tasty vegetable pakoras, rustled up by the camel men.




















 Watching the sunset over the sand dunes, turning from a deep golden yellow to a rich blood-red as it sunk from the sky, was truly mesmerising. Once it had vanished the temperature plummeted and we scuttled back to our bags to retrieve our coats, scarves, and gloves.


Back at camp, dinner was almost ready. We cracked open a couple of bottles of Kingfisher and sat beside a roaring campfire, exchanging stories with our fellow travellers - two married couples from Dorset, five Aussie exchange students from Melbourne and four Indian tourists who'd been friends since university.


By 9pm we were all feeling the desert chill and retreated to our beds.


And this is why you don't need a posh tent (or a roof) - just look at that beautiful inky blue sky! The shooting stars we witnessed that night took our breath away, something we'll never forget.


During the night I awoke to find my legs were pinned down and I was unable to move. At first, I thought that I'd inadvertently rolled into my neighbour's bed but on further investigation discovered that a desert dog had cuddled up next to me for warmth. She stayed there all night.


At 7am the camel men brought us Chota hazri (bed tea), we wrapped our cold fingers around the tin mugs, inhaled the steam and watched the sunrise over the Thar Desert. For breakfast, we sat on the sand and shared plates of desert porridge, a wonderful sweet/savoury concoction, along with buttery finger bananas and juicy oranges while the men rolled up the bedding and lashed it to the camels' saddles, who thankfully had returned from their night out. All of the rubbish generated from our stay (beer & water bottles, fruit and veg peelings and crisp packets) was loaded into the support jeep, so it could be disposed of back in Jaisalmer.




By 9am we were back in our saddles and ready for another 9km trek. 



While we'd already had some amazing adventures during our travels in Rajasthan, our desert safari topped the lot, it was incredible and, at around £25 each (including beer and tips for the guides) fantastic value for money.




If you ever find yourself in Jaisalmer book yourself a trip with the Real Desert Camel Man, you won't regret it.

See you soon!

For more photos of our desert adventure see HERE.

48 comments:

  1. ahhh! wonderful!
    how i wish i was there with you! biwak nights in the desert and riding camels are very marvelous experiences in my books!
    i did 2 times 1993 in egypt, one night in the libyan desert (with jeep) and a 3 days trip on camels in the sinai mountains...... but there were no beds - only blankets and we had to bring our own sleeping bag. but it was just gorgeous, esp. the camel trip with this great animals - and it was only 4 of us with 2 camel men.
    you managed to look very glam despite the ride and chill!!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning sleeping out under the stars and wondered if you'd done it in Rajasthan. How magical for there to have been just four of you, too.
      It really is a wonderful experience, not touristy or tacky at all - unlike the "luxury" option. I wish you could have been there with us! xxx

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Very very cool - something I've never done anywhere. Those camels look very well treated, so nice to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a truly amazing trip. Sleeping out in the open with that incredible night sky was an experience like no other.
      The camels were so well-looked after, the guides didn't use sticks or whips or anything like that, they gently led them along and if they wanted to stop and sniff something they could do. xxx

      Delete
  3. WHAT? You're not wearing jeans and a North Face jacket? I do believe you are the only person I know that would go on a camel trek wearing a maxi dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was the only female tourist in the entire state of Rajasthan who wasn't dressed in a North Face jacket, jeans and trainers. It's like a bloomin' uniform!
      People kept asking if I was a fashion designer!! xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh, look at you two perched atop those camels. You look perfectly at ease, Jon perhaps a little less! What an amazing experience this must have been. That abandoned village looks quite atmospheric. I love that photo of you with Bablu, you're looking radiantly happy. And oh, how amazing that inky blue starry sky is. How did you manage to get any sleep at all, I wonder. That sunrise over the desert is magnificent. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten that being on a camel isn't scary at all, it's just getting on it in the first place. It really was a brilliant experience (and yes, we didn't get a lot of sleep!) xxx

      Delete
  5. What an amazing trip, I loved reading about it and the photos are fantastic. Most importantly you both look like you're having such fun. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, sally! It really was a wonderful 24 hours. x

      Delete
  6. Rather be on camel-back in the middle of a desert than here right now. The whole thing is making me ever-so-glum and worried for the vulnerable members of my family. I adore your starry,starry night pic and I love that the camels look so well-cared for. Thank you for sharing your wonderful tales.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I'm sorry that you're feeling down and anxious, they bad news seems relentless at the moment - it was wonderful to escape the doom and gloom for 5 weeks. xxx

      Delete
  7. What an adventure! I would most definitely love to do that safari. The night sky was amazing and the idea of sleeping out under it - in the desert- just sounds so wonderful. How honoured you were that the dog chose you to curl up with - good job you're not scared of dogs!! Are you?

    I've heard riding in a camel makes you feel seasick. Is that the case?

    Loved your dress and Jon's outfit - both stylish even in the desert!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absolutely wonderful and I'd recommend it to anyone. I think we chose the right time to do it, too - it was cold at night but there were lots of blankets provided! I saw some photos of one of the "luxury safaris", they looked like hell on earth, far too busy and touristy.
      The only tricky bit about camel riding is getting on it and having to hold on for dear life and lean back while the camel stands up. The seats are really comfy and they amble along at such a leisurely pace it's not a lot different from being on a bus!
      I think I was the only tourist in Rajasthan not in a black puffa jacket, jeans and trainers! xxx

      Delete
    2. PS I've never met a dog I didn't like!

      Delete
  8. India envy. I only did the ashram thing - which I wouldn't recommend unless you are a devout "follower" of some guru, by the way, as your journeys look much more rewarding and so incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ratnamurti. India is magical and after 28 visits we still love every minute we spend there. I've read about the ashrams and they didn't appeal - although we did visit Auroville a few years ago. xxx

      Delete
  9. I can see why the desert safari topped your list of favourite adventures, it just seems so magical! To ride upon those magnificent creatures in all that wide open, golden sand must have been something. It seems like a scene out of Lawrence of Arabia. You both looked so laid back. I would probably have been clenching my teeth and saying my prayers!

    Sitting around that campfire with other guests would have been a perfect spot to regail each other with stories of your travels. And to sleep under those stars ........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest didn't expect to enjoy the desert safari as much as I did. It was such a magical experience and both of us loved every minute.
      I'll never forget that sky as long as I live. xxx

      Delete
  10. Oh, WOW, what an amazing experience. I'm awed by the gorgeous pictures. Vix, I am so proud of you for wearing a dress! You definitely have bragging rights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! Dresses all the way although I did have my trusty leggings underneath.
      As I've replied to Vronni and Thorne there's a female traveller uniform - black puffa jacket, jeans and trainers - in the ten days we were there I didn't see a single women NOT dressed like that. No wonder everyone takes my photo! xxx

      Delete
  11. My Goodness!!! You had me at the intricate architectural detail and your gorgeous dress... but to throw in a camel, a friendly dog and a gorgeous sunset. Too much!!! You two really know how to have an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an adventure. It did make me laugh having that dog join me on my bed, she was such a cutie! x

      Delete
  12. My brother's tales of travels on camels are unlike your own -- and that's a good thing! He was working on a different patch of the planet, where these ships of the desert came in varied styles and sizes. He reported the long-haul trucking fellows were very large, very smelly and very unsociable. Your sweeties would be considered the small family pet breed, suitable for ladies, kids and tourists. (His favorite was an Egyptian French ginger-coat named LouLou. She insisted on walking in whatever shade was available and knew all the routes in town that went with her plan.) From what he's told me about the acrobatics involved in camels rising and lowering (Kush!), I heartily admire your and Jon's fitness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brother's little LouLou sounds like our boys. They were so docile and contented, they even enjoyed a chin tickle like our cats do!
      I wonder if it's the way the camels are treated? The camel men didn't use sticks or whips to control them and the beasts seemed so happy and healthy and I loved how they were untethered and left to their own devices. xxx

      Delete
  13. I’ve just spent a chunk of time reading through you travelog so far, and what a treat it has been. I loved your wedding shenanigans, I can imagine you leading pom pom adorned camels around!
    I loved the Into The Blue post, what an absolutely stunning place to visit - those colours!
    Jaisalmer looked divine, that first photo looked almost unreal - like a film set. I’d have chosen the same option as you in the Thar Desert too, it reminds me of my trip into the Sahara (although we did have a small toilet tent), I’d have loved a Micky to accompany us, that’s so sweet. And ahh the sky, so beautiful! What treat to see.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying the travel spam, Hazel! I remember you mentioning your night under the stars in the Sahara and wondered if the set-up had been similar to ours.
      Micky was so sweet as was the doggie that came out of nowhere and decided to share my bed! xxx

      Delete
    2. There is something so comforting about the weight of an animal snuggling up!
      xx

      Delete
  14. Eeh ! I’ve enjoyed this post. You do take us on some marvellous journeys Vix. I’ve oohed and aahed and wondered haha.
    I’m going to print off that pic of you and Jon, it’s one of the best and should be in a magazine along with your write up. I better people thought you were an exotic couple.
    How I love the sense of adventure you both have and then your talent for sharing it and bringing it alive to the reader. Bravo my lovely friend you are brightening our days and we all need it at the moment.
    Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! We absolutely loved our time in the desert despite a few misgivings the day before! xxx

      Delete
  15. Oh Vix what a wonderful adventure. I love ropebeds, I spent many nights in a rope bed, but into a tent. Under the stars is much better I think :)
    xxx Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! Those rope beds are so comfy. They sell them on our local market, I'm tempted to invest! x

      Delete
  16. I LOVE that the dog cuddled up to you!!! That's so sweet!
    What a great experience! When you write about India, I long to visit! It looks such a wonderful experience. The STARS!!!!!!!! OH my!!! What wonderful stars in the sky!!!! I would love to choose that choice too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the dog whisperer!
      It was an absolutely wonderful experience, one I'll never forget. xxx

      Delete
  17. Oh my goodness, everything is so beautiful in the desert. The camels, the sand dunes, the sunset - that must have been wonderful and peaceful to see. You and Jon sure are an adventurous couple. X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that's an adventure you will remember your entire life! I would be delighted, but also a bit freaked out if a strange dog snuggled up to me in the middle of the night. That night sky is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waking up and finding that dog snuggled up next to me did give me a bit of a fright although it was a lot better than waking up and finding myself snuggled up to the chap in the next bed! x

      Delete
  19. I'm sure that camel trekking is quite an experience. I always wanted to visit a desert, I hope I'll get to some day. There is a small desert on one of the neighbouring islands, I hope I'll get the chance to pay it a visit. Anyhow, I like the photos you two took. That photo of you two together is great. You look very glam in your maxi and Jon looks very stylish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful experience,I'd recommend it to anyone! x

      Delete
  20. such an amazing experience!, totally wonderful!. I'm not a huge fan of camels but these ones look like kind creatures! and those dogs are so cute, particularly the one who choose your bed!
    Loving every picture and the magnificent landscapes!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did fall in love with our camels, they were so friendly and gentle! It was an incredible experience and a real highlight. xxx

      Delete
  21. You do always look Glam and Gorgeous enough to be a Fashion Designer! What a wonderful experience and I was happy to hear the Animals are treated so well and reciprocate the Love shown towards them. You've had so many great Life Adventures already that you could easily be a Tour Adviser for those of us who have not been as well traveled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind, thank you! I was so relieved to see how much love and attention were lavished on the camels (and dogs), I do worry. xxx

      Delete
  22. How magical! And those camels look really sweet - not the bad-tempered beasts of stories at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix