Monday 13 August 2018

I Believe In A Thing Called Love - Lakefest 2018


And now to our fourth festival of the season, Lakefest.



Held in the breathtakingly gorgeous grounds of Eastnor Castle in Herefordshire, Lakefest is now in its seventh year. Although we'd never been we were desperate to go because of it being held at the same location as the much missed The Big Chill - the festival where Jon had celebrated his 40th birthday, where he and I had once stripped off, painted ourselves yellow & participated in a Spencer Tunick photoshoot and where we'd witnessed some amazing acts over the years including The Chemical Brothers, MIA, Gong, John Cooper Clarke, Basement Jaxx, Spiritualized, David Byrne, Leonard Cohen, Bebel Gilberto, Neneh Cherry, Robert Plant, Steel Pulse and an audience with Michael Lang (the organiser of Woodstock).


With a capacity of just six thousand, Lakefest is a fraction of the size of The Big Chill, which in its heyday boasted a crowd of over 50,000 but with headline acts including Marc Almond and Reverend & The Makers and a reasonably priced pitch price, we were keen to give it a go.




Typical, isn't it? The eight days we'd had at home prior to setting off on Wednesday morning were baking hot with record breaking temperatures and wall-to-wall sunshine. Within hours of setting up the skies had clouded over & the temperature had plummeted and by Thursday morning on our customary pre-festival stroll around the site we were back in long sleeves and (in my case) big boots.








The gates opened to the public at 6pm on Thursday but from reading postings on a traders forum of which I'm a member I wasn't expecting much in the way of sales but what we did sell took me by surprise. I was led to believe the crowd were a pretty mainstream bunch but the stock we sold was flamboyant and rather flashy and wild (even by my standards!)


Booze & store front open, here we are ready to rock Lakefest! 


As Jon attended to another customer a smiley blond bloke told me our shop was amazing and that he'd be back tomorrow. I thanked him and thought nothing more about it. We closed at 10pm and went to watch Doctor and the Medics over on the Floating Globe stage - they were so bad it was hilarious, their cover of Blondie's Call Me was truly a crime against music.


 Friday, trading day two. As you can see Jon's shorts were relegated to the bottom of the overnight bag and I was clad in vintage polyester from top to toe. Wet, cold and windy, it was like Indietracks all over again!


As promised the smiley nice bloke came back with his mates and spent an age trying stuff on. You know who that is, don't you? Said Jon, Haven't got a clue says me, Are they traders? You daft bat, says Jon, That's The Darkness. Even hearing the other guys calling the nice smiley bloke Justin hadn't clicked. Justin asked Jon to hold a couple of shirts up so he could take some photos to send to his friend who was arriving later as he knew he'd love them and, true to his word, his mate popped over and bought them. Jon keeps banging on about how both Justin from The Darkness and guitarist Frankie have pictures of him on their phones.


By bizarre coincidence we last saw Peter Hook (to the uninitiated, of Joy Division/New Order fame) in conversation with the late, great Howard Marks at The Big Chill years ago. A decade later and he was back at Eastnor Castle treating us to Madchester classics including Love Will Tear Us Apart & Blue Monday.


All three stages at Lakefest are indoors - which was ideal considering the atrocious weather.


 While I skivved off to see Hookie, Jon got to see the legend that is Marc Almond.





As a show of support for their custom we closed at 10pm and headed to the main stage to watch The Darkness. Although they've never been my thing I absolutely loved Justin's on-stage swagger and attitude - such a huge contrast to the smiley, charming chap he is in reality. Several of the families watching got a bit huffy about songs entitled Shitting Solid Gold and Suck My Cock, grabbed their kids and stormed off - we, on the other hand, loved the show.




Saturday - another glorious Summer day...not! I hope all the moaners who've cast a shadow of gloom over social media for the past few weeks complaining about the glorious British heatwave are happy with the weather now...I'm bloody not!


A few of the regular traders describe Lakefest as being more of a village fete than a festival and they're not wrong. It's the first time I've been to a festival where dogs are allowed! There's even an on-site vet and a £10 an hour doggie creche for those wanting to take a break from their pooches.


How cool is the Fryer Engine? The chips are vegan friendly (not cooked in animal fat like a lot of the traditional chippies do around here) and, even better, they gave out free samples. Free chips definitely brightened up a damp, grey day.


I found the yellow fake Docs in a chazza the day before we left for Lakefest - talk about good timing. Apart from the footwear there's nothing new about my silver cocktail dress and yeti coat, they've been permanent fixtures this festival season. Cheers! 



Be still my beating heart. Jon McClure from Reverend and The Makers might be looking a bit portly since he became a dad (check him out looking hot here back in 2009) but they're still my favourite live band, in fact I think this is the tenth time I've seen them. 


Because Lakefest is a nice, well-behaved crowd I was able to walk to the front of the stage and get down and dirty in the mosh pit. A titchy bird in a silver cocktail frock and iridescent cats' ears in a sea of big bald blokes. 


The Reverend was as charismatic and feisty as ever....dance or I'll set my f*cking dog on ya....love him!





Sunday rolled around and, as you can see, it was yet another soggy one.


Jon was happy he'd packed his cords but was a bit concerned that his vintage overcoat was also corduroy - maybe double cord could be the new double denim?


My rainbow striped catsuit got a lot of love from the festival goers. The 1960s red suede waistcoat was on the rails until Sunday morning until I decided that it would be happier in my wardrobe than anyone else's.


Talk about an eclectic line-up. Lakefest boasted everything from folk legend Gaz Brookfield, The Wurzels and The Waterboys to punk band The Membranes & Mel C formerly of the Spice Girls - isn't she pretty? I managed to miss one of my favourite live bands of the 1980s, Pop Will Eat Itself although, by all accounts, they weren't great.



I was too dim didn't like to ask The Darkness for a photo but here's a few of our happy male customers.


This lovely man was thrilled with his cowboy shirt, he wore it for most of the weekend and reckoned its the best shirt he's ever owned.


This dud could give Keith Richards a run for his money in this crazy '70s rock star cool spotty shirt.


This aspiring singer/songwriter spent his 13th birthday money on this psych shirt - he was thrilled when we told it that Justin from The Darkness had tried it on but couldn't do up the buttons 'cos he reckoned he was too buff.


Obligatory crap selfie.


The Proclaimers were Sunday night's headliners. I only thought I knew one of their songs but recognised quite a few of them.


I'm not sure who these guys are but this photo makes me laugh, it's your typical Sunday afternoon at a festival expression...grim reality awaits.

Right, time for a large rum and some crap telly, I'll catch up with my pals in Blogland very soon!

Linking to Patti and the gang for Visible Monday.

62 comments:

  1. Sounds another great festival. Fingers crossed the nice weather returns - we are off to FolkEast this weekend - celebrating one year of being hitched!! (ps new blog post from me today - 3rd this year!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're blogging again? I've missed that - I'll pop over later and see what you've been up to. xxx

      Delete
  2. Seems like no matter what happens, you guys have a blast. Such good karma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. U r so cute in your cut-offs!!!! And in your cat ears!!! Holy shit that festival!!! What a line-up!!!! I love the idea of the doggy break place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky! I loved that you could take your dog to a festival! x

      Delete
  4. What an eclectic & amazing line up.
    Didn't look too rammed - may have to give this one a go next year - what d'you reckon?
    Jezza was in Walsall today (I'm not local; just saying)!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Jezza on the news, I can't believe we missed him. Most exciting thing to happen in Walsall since Rev & The Makers played the town hall.
      I'd definitely recommend Lakefest, we said if we didn't trade there next year we'd go back as punters. Cracking line-up, cheapish beer (£3 a pint) and stuff going on till 3am. xxx

      Delete
  5. Good vibes here, sorry for the chill! You and Jon are stars as always. Your yellow not-Docs are amazing too. Oh, and the fries, I need those fries : > xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the yellow "Docs" (real Docs don't have zippers!), and all your wonderful, colourful outfits! That looks like a fun time, even if the weather didn't cooperate! Settle in with your rum and some warm blankets (and kitties).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! Kitties and rum sorted me out a treat - now to unpack the van. xxx PC Actually Docs do make lace-up boots with side zips, they're called "Pascal".

      Delete
  7. I have to wonder how much work vs fun.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Packing, setting up and taking the pitch down is hours of hard work but the rest is a blast! xxx

      Delete
  8. Methinks Vix and Jon need to put a bunch of their festival pictures and stories together and create a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I need to start photographing our celeb customers! xxx

      Delete
  9. I am DYING of laughter imagining horrified parents dragging their children away from The Darkness' set.

    That rainbow catsuit is mental in the best way. Glad you had a good festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so funny - what on earth did they expect? I can understand the need to make things kid friendly during the day but surely 10.30 at night is way past a toddler's bedtime?
      I saw that catsuit and thought "that's so tacky" and had to have it. xxx

      Delete
  10. Well that all turned out very nicely didn't it? What fun to meet and see various celebs. Really love the silver maxi/yeti coat combo on you. Gently does it back to reality now. The sunshine took my mojo with it I think, Autumn is looming!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fab - despite the vile weather! That silver maxi/yeti coat is my favourite combo of the summer and being synthetic it's dry in minutes.
      Don't mention the A word, we've got another three festies to go! xxx

      Delete
  11. OMG I love Justin Hawkins! I reckon he looked better before he had his teeth done tho. I would have swooned! Suck My Cock? Don't recall that one! You look just like a ringmaster...where's your top hat? Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love him too now (those teeth are a bit scary, though!) Can you believe he actually camped at Lakefest the night before and spent the day walking round like a normal punter? Such a lovely chap. xxx

      Delete
  12. Can't believe you've had such weather, but I'm happy to see you didn't let it spoil the fun! Love the yellow fake Docs and your fabulous striped catsuit. And of course that waistcoat belongs in your wardrobe. I've now got a mental picture of those parents dragging their children away from the "big bad" Darkness! Oh, and we have been to Eastnor Castle when we were in Herefordshire. I'd no idea it was a festival venue ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bloody weather! Typically the sun came out and it was warm and lovely on Monday morning when we packed up...gah!!!
      There's a few angry parents ranting about bad language on the Facebook page - they must have got The Darkness mixed up with Coldplay!
      Isn't Eastnor Castle gorgeous? When we arrived we could see it from our pitch but the rain clouds and mirk hid it from view for the rest of the weekend. xxx

      Delete
  13. You’ve seen Robert Plant?!!! How was he?
    Jon’s rocking the double cord! Good choice in keeping the 1960s red suede waistcoat, I would have too. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, rather dull! Not into all that country stuff he's into.
      I kept my fingers crossed every time somebody tried on that waistcoat, not sure why I didn't keep it in the first place. xxx

      Delete
  14. I love some of the Darkness songs and the proclaimers , Glad you enjoyed it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOOOOVEEEE!!!
    great 80´s veterans, creative decorations, yummy food and nice people make up for the lousy weather. and you look fantastic in the rainbow suit! the yellow boots are fun!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fab weekend, despite the weather - I'd love it to cheer up a bit for the next one though, all this rain is starting to bore me! xxx

      Delete
  16. You are a tough lot over the other side of the pond. The weather looked terrible. I'm glad you were able to wear your own rainbows to brighten the day and I'm happy your sales were still good.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne! It seems very cruel to endure that weather after such a glorious summer! xxx

      Delete
  17. So great to hear you sold some wild and flamboyant items. Life is too short not be fashion forward and brave with our styling choices...at least from time to time.

    Lakefest sounds great. The location is adorable. I love that fake shark in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! people should leave their inhibitions and hang-ups at the festival gates and just have fun! xxx

      Delete
  18. Fabulous photos as always Vix.
    Considering myself slapped regarding the weather....lol.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks Sheila! please will you let us have that weather back for another three weekends? I'll be getting trenchfoot at this rate! xxx

      Delete
  19. Amazing how colourful and fun your photos look despite the weather. I'm never going to moan about hot weather, it's never around long enough in the UK!
    New Order are the worst live band I ever saw, I hope it was just a bad day and it's got better over the years but their whole set was just 20 minutes long!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gorgeous weather seems like a dim and distant memory now and it was less than a fortnight ago.
      You must have caught New Order on an off day. I admit that Barney's voice isn't great but they've always seemed up for it! xxx

      Delete
  20. Totally ace love. What a cracking little festie and don't you look fab bringing colour to a soggy scene? Justin is a sweetie. I do have a soft spot for The Darkness..they're a good turn... but that spot is bigger and softer for drummer Rufus Taylor's old dad, Roger! Mark Almond...legend and Mr McClure is a demi god! A top line up apart from Dr and the Medics. Wouldn't cross the road to see 'em!

    Loves ya!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Roger Taylor was Rufus's dad - I used to know all the facts back in the days of Smash Hits! xxx

      Delete
    2. Roger is a sliver fox now!! All twinkly eyes and hearing aides and Id still run off with him!xx

      Delete
  21. That looks like an excellent festival - the size makes it sound really friendly and enjoyable. Your outfits are fantastic; the festivalgoers were quite right to appreciate them.

    The Darkness have always struck me as a bunch of idiots, so it's nice to hear my assumptions are completely wrong :-)

    I too miss the warmer weather. I wish it would rain at night and be sunny all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an ace festival. I'd definitely go back as a punter if we didn't trade there again - lovely, friendly crowd!
      I thought the same about The Darkness, I was amazed that smiley man was the same Justin. xxx

      Delete
  22. Your festivals all look wonderful and quite different from here , pity about the turning of the weather after the hot, sunny days . I must say you look so good in all your outfits but especially in your rainbow jumpsuit, no wonder you received so many compliments.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! It's a real effort to get dressed when the rain's lashing on the tent roof and the wind's roaring outside but I think people appreciate the effort! xxx

      Delete
  23. Big massive smile on my face here. Fabulous blog post, so much fun despite the bad weather. Who knew they made yellow docs, not me for sure, even if they are fake.
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Birthday girl! That weather is haunting us, I swear it! Tomorrow isn't looking too bad, keep your fingers crossed for us! xxx

      Delete
  24. Sorry it was so chilly but you made me spit my tea out with laughter at the parental outrage over The Darkness! We saw them in their pomp at Brixton Academy and they were truly hilarious. I be Justin would have loved your stripy catsuit back in the day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - all those outraged parents! It's not like it was 2pm in the afternoon.
      I love Justin's outrageous on-stage persona, he's completely different in real life! xxx

      Delete
  25. Sounds great. I love that the 13 year old has a great story to go with his shirt! I'd forgotten all about the darkness, I saw them years ago, they put on a great show!
    It's a shame the weather wasn't better, but it did give you an excuse to wear those awesome yellow boots.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Darkness surprised me, they really did put on a good performance! xxx

      Delete
  26. Shame about the weather but you guys have been there before and know how to make any festival weekend a success. Very cool about the Darkeness shopping in your tent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As they say, no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices! xxx

      Delete
  27. Such a shame about the weather! As is usual for me after almost 3 months of lovely weather in Ireland the day I arrived was the last of it. We've had a few good days since but a lot of cloud and grey gloomy days plus wind and rain...

    Hope you have better weather at the next one!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I was hoping the weather was going to be good for your trip this time. Sod's law, innit? xxx

      Delete
  28. Heavens! The Proclaimers are still on stage...?! Good Gad, it's been a while since...!

    I'm certain your sunny smiles brightened the sullen days at this festival. Glad the crowd surprised even you with their practical appreciation of the Kinky Melon's stock, especially items even you considered "rather flashy and wild"? And thanks for sharing that pix of Jon looking anything but...so sober and snug in his cold-weather gear, reading a book next to a mini heater. Ah, the British summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted, Beth! I wonder if the British Tourist Board fancy recruiting us to promote English camping holidays?
      I once spotted The Proclaimers at Birmingham Airport's baggage carousel and pointed them out to Jon in a very loud voice, poor sods were inundated with autograph hunters. xxx

      Delete
  29. Aww...I always love your festival posts, that's pretty funny about meeting The Darkness and having no idea who they were 😉 we saw them many years ago in Auckland and they were rad. Love the striped catsuit!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like you had tons of fun despite the weather! I loved you in both jumpsuits and silver dress and fur (summer, huh?). And I love that you believe in the thing called love! :)

    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Despite the crappy weather, this still looks like a great festival. I like the strange "art" installations like the shark head in the pond. The music lineup looks like a real mixed bag but I would have enjoyed it all. Your outfits should have won you the Best Dressed Festival Vendor Award.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix