Thursday 12 September 2024

Hello Autumn!


Apart from a brief respite last Friday, the UK seems to have stepped into Autumn almost overnight. It's still dark when I get out of bed, the laundry takes an absolute age to dry and the central heating keeps clicking into life.


The decorators have finally started work on Stonecroft's exterior but due to the constant rain, the painting is progressing very slowly.


With the house being a bit of a dumping ground between festivals, now the season's over I've had time to clean from top to bottom and to put everything back in its rightful place.



The houseplants have gone crazy and we've successfully rooted cuttings from the Umbrella plant, Chinese Money plant, Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue.


Built in 1750, Stonecroft started life as three single storey farm labourer's cottages (Walsall was mostly agricultural land before the Industrial Revolution), an upper floor was added in the 19th century and  doorways knocked into the dividing walls to create a single, two storey dwelling. Although it looks large from the outside, our house is only one room wide with each room leading through into another. 

There's no windows at the back of the house and just one to the side, facing out on to the avenue (the rest face south, over the garden. There's two doors at the front, making it very confusing for visitors! Downstairs consists of the lounge, the hallway, the middle room, the kitchen and the utility room.

The photo above was taken in 1952, I'm not sure what happened to the chimney.


The utility room , which leads off the kitchen, was the bathroom when we first moved in.

Lord Jon's watching his favourite programme, Death in Paradise. I hate it so he watches it on catch-up in the kitchen.



The stairs lead off from the middle room...
 

Climb the stairs past the Wall of Misery....

On the landing you'll find the Poodle Parlour...



 And our bookshelves.




We've got two bedrooms, ours (below)...


And the guest room, aka my walk-in wardrobe/sewing space.





The bathroom was a third bedroom until Jon worked his magic. 





I've had a new phone, nothing well-known or fancy, but I'm very impressed with the picture quality. 


William's decamped from the tortoise pen to an ancient mini greenhouse although he's spent most of today inside as it's unseasonably cold. We're going to have to bring Jacob inside tonight, its forecast to drop to 1°C  later.


I've adjusted my wardrobe accordingly and I'm back in boots, long sleeves and fedoras....although I'm happiest in slinky dresses and sandals, it's my cool weather gear that gets the most compliments when I'm out and about.


This fabulous 1960s Indian handloom kaftan by India Imports of Rhode Island, which later became Adini, came from my friend Molly's legendary Vintage Relics sale rail at this year's End of the Road.

I wore it for a morning of swimming, 'Spoons and charity shopping last week, along with my handmade in Ibiza cowboy boots (ebay, 2022), Aldo fedora (charity shop, 2015) and recycled silk sari & jute tote bag (Beautiful Days, 2022).


 Another recent purchase is this incredible 1960s Greek linen kaftan, my choice for wearing to the swimming baths on Tuesday morning. 


You can see where high-end Athenian designer label, Devotion Twins get their inspiration from, can't you? (I'm linking 'cos I love them, as my friend Sheila says). I spotted this on Vinted for £6 last month...what absolute bargain!


The receptionist in the MOT centre loved how I'd matched my vintage blue hat to my nails, proving that she's my kind of girl! The tan platform boots were from Clarks' clearance sale earlier this year.





Here's a perennial favourite, my beloved 1970s block printed Pakistani kaftan which has been worn on repeat since I acquired it from eBay back in 2019.


I threw this on to pop to the shops (a rare foray to the supermarket, usually Jon's domain). The Moroccan leather belt is a hand-me-down from Liz, the feather-trimmed hat was originally from Accessorize but bought from Sue Ryder for £2.50 a couple of years ago and the red leather cowboy boots were a recent buy - I won't show you a close-up just yet, I'm sure you'll be sick to death of them by the spring!


You're not seeing double, this is another India Imports of Rhode Island handloom kaftan, just in a slightly different colourway, I couldn't decide which one I liked best so I bought both! 


With the temperature plummeting to a feeble 7°C, I needed a jacket on my walk down to the baths this morning. The vintage jacket is embroidered suede and was an eBay find a couple of years ago, the fedora was a Monsoon retail buy in 2022, the green leather belt was bought from a boutique in Santorini last year and the vintage cowboy boots came via Vinted.





But I haven't packed away my Summer clothes just yet...I'll be needing them for the next couple of weeks!


From left: Pink City Prints shirred cotton maxi and Le Petit Bateau denim jacket, vintage Anokhi block printed midi dress, Jen's Pirate Booty ombre maxi, a vintage House of Lavinia printed cotton maxi, a vintage Marion Donaldson maxi, my Haris Cotton Greek co-ord, a crochet beach dress, an orange cotton blouse, my Devotion Twins cotton shorts, a vintage straw hat, a raffia beach bag and a rainbow straw clutch bag (a gift from Ann & Jos).


There's also a beach towel, a sarong; 2 pairs of Tevas, Pestects anti-mozzie bands, sunglasses and prescription specs, 3 x bikinis, swimming goggles, toiletries, jewellery, camera, hair accessories, two pairs of knickers, my Kobo and a lightweight umbrella.


I'm travelling in my Pink City Prints dress, denim jacket, granny square Tevas and these gorgeous Mexican silver and turquoise stud earrings from our End of the Road friends and neighbours, Shilpa Silver (here's their website), I'll put the rest of my jewellery on once I'm through security. My raffia bag squishes up and will fit under the seat in front of me.


And, as usual, we're travelling with carry-on only. Mine weighs in at 7kg. 


Corfu is calling...see you in October!

41 comments:


  1. Your house is a treasury, you have such wonderful things and decoration too. I love the Wall of Misery. The yellow dress looks adorable!

    I wish you wonderful days in Corfu xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Have a lovely weekend and see you when I get back! xxx

      Delete
  2. Hope you get the sunshine and warmth you crave in Corfu and that it sets you up for your return here when you're having to deal with our soggy, grey days. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! It's very warm but quite wet over there at the moment, perfect swimming weather! xxx

      Delete
  3. Your houseplants have gone mad, obviously love the conditions they’re in. Sheva has found the chair by the radiator and her basket by the dining room one to be the best place. We still have no moving date, solicitors (our buyers) are being incredibly nit picky - but we will get there - EVENTUALLY! Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gill! I've been very disciplined with them this year, feeding them every week and they've rewarded my efforts! Aren't cats funny? I bet Sheva is like William and forever finding a new place to snuggle.
      I can't believe you're still in limbo over the house move, you've got far more patience than me. xxx

      Delete
  4. I loved your house tour. Thank you. I feel all inspired now to paint my rooms with some much bolder colors. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Leslie! We started off with white walls when we first moved in as we couldn't decide what colours to paint them, although its a dark house with all the trees in the garden the moodier, darker colours seem to work really well. xxx

      Delete
  5. YOU HATE DEATH IN PARADISE!?!?! We absolutely cannot be friends anymore!;-)
    Your new kaftans are beautiful!! I also love your green travel dress!
    It's always so lovely to see round your beautiful house! I feel honoured to be able to 'look round' it!
    Have a very nice time in Greece!!!
    Hope you are well!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no...I'm sorry! Sara Martins is an absolutely superb actress (she's amazing in Those About to Die) and Ralph Little is lovely but even the theme song sets my teeth on edge, it's just too cosy and nice...I like my TV darkly comic or just dark!
      See you when I get back! xxx

      Delete
  6. I do love your house and all its rooms. It’s so beautifully quirky. I’ve still got my copy of the mag it was featured in.
    Have a great holiday in the sun. It’ll be nice to catch the sun now we are moving into autumn here. Enjoy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynn! That feature was a while ago now, I stumbled across that magazine when i was sorting out the bookshelves the other day. xxx

      Delete
  7. My Mum used to have those pale pink poodles on her dressing table! Love the Russell Flint print too. Goes without saying how beautiful your home is. Bon Voyage. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank so much! I can't resist kitschy china poodles although I've had to curtail my collecting as I can't fit any more on the shelf! Russell Flint was such a talent, I was thrilled to spot that Zoronga print in the clearance chazza. xxx

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for the house tour. While you have been "Festivalling" I have sold my house and bought a circa 1883 brick home. It was been a single room rental house for 30 years, so you can imagine the condition. You have given me great inspiration to bring it into a useable, functional home. And as always, great outfits !!!!!!
    I feel the less said about the Death In Paradise admission the better.
    Take care, enjoy your holiday, Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Megan and thank you! You have been busy! Well done on selling the house and wishing you loads of luck with the new project. I love Victorian houses, always so beautifully proportioned although having lived in a few of those single room rentals over the years I can just imagine how much work you've got ahead of you.
      Aren't I terrible, TV shaming poor Jon?! xxx

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tour. Do you use both front doors? Have a lovely time in Corfu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maeve! Thank you! We tend to use the door which leads from the hallway the most although William rather likes the one that opens on to the kitchen so we have to open it especially for him! xxx

      Delete
  10. I love your India Imports kaftans and never get tired of admiring them, Vix and it was lovely seeing a tour of your house, as I think the last time was ages back when you were in a magazine shoot. Your lovely poodle collection caught my eye! Have a good time in Corfu topping up your tan. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betty! I really didn't need any more kaftans but I'm a sucker for those India Imports labels. It's been so long since i gave the house a good clean I thought I'd better record it for posterity.
      I can't wait to feel the sun on my skin, I bet you can't either! xxx

      Delete
  11. Your house is so beautiful and colourful...thanks for the home tour dear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love having a tour of your house, thank you, Vix! Such a lovely home you both have. Hello, sweet William and Jacob! Enjoy your trip, Vix! See you on the flip side!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As we are once again sharing weather, I am not blaming you to escape to Corfu to extend the Summer season! That said, I'm loving both your hot weather and cool weather clothes. I can't possibly chose a favourite here but your India Imports of Rhode Island kaftans do come close. I totally get that you couldn't decide and bought both!
    I absolutely loved the virtual tour of your house and I can vouch for the fact that it does look as fabulous - if not more - in real life!
    Have a most wonderful holiday, you two! xxx P.S. I'm quite chuffed that the raffia clutch is joining you once more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ann! I think the last time I cleaned it was probably when you and Jos visited us!! It's been so cold over the last 24 hours, I can hardly get my head round packing strappy dresses!
      It seemed like a crime to split those kaftans up, obviously the previous owner couldn't decide on which one to buy either!
      That raffia clutch is on her second trip to Greece, isn't she lucky?! xxx

      Delete
  14. Love, love, loved the house tour, thank you so much, it's an absolute dream!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your home and style are amazing! I love how you mix vintage finds with modern pieces. Safe travels to Corfu!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love love your home.. you have created such a magical space!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always enjoy a tour of your wonderful home and your decorating skills.
    I know you are a hot weather dresser but I do love your cool weather style too.
    Enjoy your time in Corfu .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your home is beautiful, Vix and very stylish. The poodle parlour made me smile! Love them. Have a fabulous time in Corfu and enjoy the sunshine! Louise (Mids) X x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe how quickly it got cold for you. We are still having summer weather, though the overnights are cooling down. Good call turning the extra room into a bathroom. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September is often a warmer month than August here but not this year, sadly! Thanks, Goody x

      Delete
  20. What a lovely tour of your house, I had never realised that it was only one room deep, there's only one word to describe your decorating taste ... magnificent. No-one could ever accuse you on being a minimalist, and I doubt you would ever want to be one, surrounded as you are with such well curated treasures.

    I hope you have a wonderful time in Corfu, soak up some of the warmth for me, it's so chilly here today the heating will HAVE to be switched on for a while just to thaw me out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous post full of beautiful things!
    The hand loom and Greek linen kaftans are stunning - great transitional pieces!
    I had to laugh at Jon having to catch up on Death in Paradise in the kitchen! I've grown to love Father Brown but Death in Paradise is a step too far. :-D
    William appears to be telling you off in that photo. He's obviously got wind of your trip to Corfu! Enjoy! You deserve a rest! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have had a sudden transition to Autumn as well. I've been on paracetamol all week and the work just keeps pilling...so much work at the start. I can't wait to get back into the routine of it all.
    Lovely house tour. I love your plants. Lovely art and bookshelves.
    Beautiful maxi dresses!
    Death in Paradise...why does it ring a bell? Oh, I read one of the novels from that series. It was pretty good. I've been meaning to try the show but I have no concentration for it. If I ever do end up watching it, I will think of Jon and the kitchen. :)
    Enjoy Corfu! That's a fab photo of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix