Monday 8 July 2024

I'm Going Where the Weather Suits My Clothes



Everyone who knows me is aware of how much I love heat and sunshine and that my favourite clothes are floaty cotton dresses, off the shoulder tops and skimpy bikinis. Me and my wardrobe weren't made for this dismal UK weather! A few days after getting home from Glasto with the rain lashing down and the central heating automatically clicking on, I decided that enough was enough, I found an amazing deal for a couple of last minute flights, booked a cheap room and we're heading back to Greece. We're travelling to an island we've been to before but staying in an area new to us, a laid back fishing village with no package holidays and supposedly the best beaches on the island. Our studio apartment is 160 yards from the sea! 


With temperatures expected to hit 39°C by the weekend, I'm not sure we'll be wearing many clothes but here's what we're taking.


Me! Four maxi dresses, two maxi skirts, three tops and a pair of denim cut offs. I'm wearing the Greek Archaic Kori dress (the only one with sleeves) to travel in.


5 pairs of earrings, six rings, Strong turquoise gel nails, Teva granny square platforms (which I'm wearing to travel in) & my Teva midforms; 2 x bikinis; Foldable turquoise straw fedora; A sarong; 4 x bracelets; Raffia clutch bag courtesy of Ann & Jos; 2 x Greek tote bags; 2 x pairs sunglasses; My Tangle Teezer, a hair pin, a hair slide and a handful of covered hairbands.


Jon's taking 3 pairs of shorts & 2 x swim shorts (one pair is currently on the washing line), a neckerchief, a foldable straw trilby, a vintage Greek fisherman's cap, his Teva sandals, his Clarks' suede trainers, 5 x shirts, 2 x tee shirts, a bag and a belt.


Toiletries: Calypso once a day factor 30 sun cream decanted into travel sized bottles ; Facial sun protection; Bite relief; Bamboo toothbrushes, interdentals & toothpaste; Face wipes; Razors; Soap; Lush shampoo & conditioner bars; Lip balm; Cotton buds. We'll buy anything else we need when we're there.


Mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow, brush, lipstick, blusher, eyebrow pencil, pencil sharpener.


Also in our bags: Decathlon sports towel x 2, Kobo x 2,  Pestects anti-mosquito bracelets (highly recommended!), my trusty Sony camera, swim goggles x 2, 30x magnifying mirror, prescription specs x 2 and 2 pairs of knickers/trunks (one to wash, one to wear!)


As always, I check the luggage specifics like a woman possessed. Our airline allows a personal item such as a handbag, which can fit under the seat in front, plus a cabin bag weighing no more than 10kg and measuring a maximum of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. Mine is 50cm x 35cm x 20cm & 6kg and Jon's is slightly smaller and weighs 6.5kg. As of 9th July 2024 Birmingham Airport requests that liquids, gels and pastes taken into the cabin are decanted into 100ml containers (but the amount passengers can bring is unlimited) and that they be left loose in hand luggage as opposed to putting them in a clear 20cm x 20cm bag and placed in the tray. If you're not frequent flyers be aware than every airline has different rules regarding carry-on bags - don't get caught out - it can be cripplingly expensive if you do!


Weather woes aside, what a exciting week it's been with both a general election (and an historic Labour landslide) and England getting through the the semi finals of Euros 2024. To celebrate I've mostly been wearing red. Friday's look was Psychedelic Mermaid with a 1970s Dori of London maxi skirt, my mermaid tee shirt and these amazing sterling silver fish tail earrings from our festival trader mates, Shilpa Silver. 


I treat myself to a couple of pieces of their fairly-traded, handmade Mexican jewellery every year. If you're not going to any festivals you can buy from their website HERE but, be warned, you'll probably want everything!


On Saturday I teamed a 1960s Forbidden Fruit cheesecloth maxi skirt with an Adidas limited edition crop top -  Jon and I call this look "chav meets hippy" aka Chippie!


Today's the third time in a week that I've worn my Mexican embroidered tomato dress (it never fails to make people smile). It was 6°C when I got up this morning so I'm wearing socks and boots underneath it.


William's uncle Marcus is on cat sitting duty. He was really fussy when we got back from Glastonbury (that's the cat, not my brother!) but has reverted back to regarding us as walking can openers once again. Charming!


Thanks for reading and see you on the other side!!

59 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful time. This UK Summer has been way too chilly for you hasn't it, I don't blame you one little bit for jetting off to warmer climes again. Have fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out come the blue/white combos - can just picture the islands. Have a fab time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got to be blue and white for Greece! xxx

      Delete
  3. Going to Greece sounds like a wonderful idea! Have a great trip. I love how you packed light. One doesn't need much clothes when the weather is hot, right? I love the items you packed, the blouses and the dresses...they all seem to signal-summer- and -vacation.
    I can't wait to see your Greece shots.
    It's good to check airline requirements. Each airline has different policies and there's nothing worse than coming to the airport and finding out you cannot travel with something or that you have to pay extra. It kind of defuses the whole point of travelling by air and finding affordable tickets. I read some article about two British girlfriends who each bought a plane ticked to Spain so they could meet for drinks because travelling by train is so expensive nowadays. There're definitely benefits to flying somewhere, especially if one finds a good price.
    I love your psychedelic mermaid maxi, it's gorgeous...and the mermaid tail earrings are so pretty and unique.
    William is adorable!
    The tomato dress is always a hit. You always look stunning in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! It's a lot easier to pack for a warm and sunny climate compared to a week at a UK festival, that's for sure! xxx

      Delete
  4. Glad you are heading off again for a heat break. Love love those earrings. Hugs and love

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nearest I shall get to flying was my good deed for the day - taking my neighbours for their very early morning flight to Sicily - which meant leaving home at 3.15am
    And Bristol airport was heaving at 4am
    Have a great time away
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got a friend as kind as you, Siobhan! He's picking us up at 3.15am, too! xxx

      Delete
  6. The Adidas shirt is my highlight today. The earrings and the tomato dress are pretty to fall in love with. they have a sweet extra.
    The temperatures are really very low where you live, it's good that you were in Greece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need some warmth, my poor old bones are creaking! xxx

      Delete
  7. Brilliant! The weather is truly grim. Have a great time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good idea to jet off to Greece, anytime is a good idea, but our atrocious weather is really enough to want to leave. So pleased that Labour won. I was off to vote when I realised my dress was blue, can't wear that, changed promptly into a red dress. Was greeted warmly by the Labour man at the door! Labour isn't perfect but good enough for me. I love your tomato dress, possibly my favourite of your many tricks. Enjoy Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it miserable, Carole? Your comment about wearing blue made me laugh, I did a similar thing on Thursday morning and had to run upstairs and get changed very quickly, I didn't want to be mistaken for a Tory (although Jon says there's no chance of that ever happening!) xxx

      Delete
  9. Frock's not tricks. Thank you auto correct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must still be hungover from Glasto, I read it as frocks! xxx

      Delete
  10. It'll give you a proper break before you work at your next festival. Much easier to unwind properly when you're not at home. Enjoy. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're off to the dreaded cruise today. I'm the same, buy stuff there as we need it. Formal wear? I'm on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the dreaded cruise exceeds your expectations and you have fantastic time.
      Good for you about wearing what the hell you want to and for not going on a mad dash around the shops for stuff you can buy when you get there. Let me know how it went! xxx

      Delete
  12. Wishing you a lovely trip. It would be too hot for me but I am fed up with this Arctic July! Love all your outfits and like the term Chippie. I expect William will be aloof upon your return. Our cat hates us going away and ignores us for a bit but then we comes round. I'm good human any husband is all human. The mermaid earrings are stupendous. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue and thanks very much! I suspect I might be spending most of the week in the sea, which is a very refreshing sounding 25°C at the moment.
      William's really fussy for the first couple of days when we get home from anywhere, snuggling up in bed with us and following us around the house shouting then he's back to his usual tricks, going missing for hours and coming back through the gates licking his lips having demanded one of the neighbours feed him! xxx

      Delete
  13. Sorry some of my words got changed. Should read " then she comes round and I'm food human and my husband is lap human! " Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best decision ever! The weather's been pretty dismal here too, so even I would be considering swanning off to somewhere warm if I could.
    Love your selection of frocks, skirt and tops, and I'm totally chuffed that the raffia clutch bag has made the grade. I knew it was "you" the minute I clapped eyes on it.
    Have a fabulous time, you two! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I suspected we may be sharing weather. It's beyond a joke now! Glastonbury and those few days of heat and sunshine feel like an age away.
      That clutch is exactly what I've been looking for and fits into my carry-on perfectly. I've saved the maxi dress for Womad, fingers crossed the weather's perked up by then! xxx

      Delete
  15. It sounds idyllic. The perfect way to unwind after Glastonbury. Just remember to bring some of the sunshine back with you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've left space in my back to sneak a bit of sunshine home! Thanks, Jules! xxx

      Delete
  16. Awesome decision! I love going to seaside small towns and villages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stand another day of this weather! The village looks perfect after the vastness of Glastonbury, just four streets, even I can't get lost there! xxx

      Delete
  17. Vix, I love your blue and white wardrobe theme. Your outfits will look wonderful by the beach. X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bon Voyage.Happy trails.Mind out for that heat.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you (or I should say, efcharistó)! I'll take 39°C over this morning's miserable deluge any time! xxx

      Delete
  19. Hi Vix. You really have got packing down to an art form, haven't you? Can't blame you for wanting some peaceful sunshine & sea views. The mermaid tail earrings are beautiful. William's looking very handsome and full of cattitude. They do like to make their feelings known if their 'owners' (ie: personal staff) have time-off without feline permission! Val x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to enjoy packing, Val. I love the challenge of getting by with carry-on only!
      Those mermaid tail earrings fascinate me, Sean & Heidi have so many lovely things I never know what to buy!
      Oh yes, William certainly likes making his feelings known. He'll be out in the avenue yowling at everyone he recognises telling them how we've abandoned him! xxx

      Delete
  20. Have fun you gorgeous girl. I am already looking forward to the post travel posts. Love mr William in the sun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! William really enjoyed that brief bit of sun yesterday, he's not wanted to leave the house today! xxx

      Delete
  21. I'm longing for some rest and swimming! Our holiday destination is Cornwall this year so I don't hold out much hope! It was supposed to be France but the travel was RIDICULOUSLY expensive so we changed the plan. Booo!

    Have a great time!
    Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz came back from St Ives last week and said it was ridiculously cold even on the days when the rest of England was basking in sunshine - take all the layers!
      Flight prices have been mad this year but TUI have some amazing last minute flight only deals.xxx

      Delete
  22. I love that you've been wearing red for most of the week! I'm too scared to click on the Shilpa Silver link - it might end up costing me more than our flight penalties!
    Have a wonderful holiday. Sun is definitely required! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I replied to Carole's comment, I nearly left the house wearing blue last Thursday and had to dash back and get changed! I'm wondering if I should squeeze my lucky England leggings into my bag, England's Euro success may depend upon them!
      Shilpa Silver have the best stuff, it's lethal being their neighbours at End of the Road!xxx

      Delete
  23. Oh and how much you deserve another break in the sun after all that hard slog (and fun) at Glasto! The airline rules are a bit mind blowing, I find - is hand luggage your handbag or your 10kg carry on bag, for example? Such excellent packing.

    We may fly later in the year to Malta but we'll take the ferry as usual to Ireland. Loved all your outfits and new silver fish tail earrings are gorgeous.

    Have a wonderful time in Greece.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved Glastonbury but it's taken an age to get over it! All I want to do is relax in the sun and swim for a week and there's no chance of doing that here with this miserable weather!
      The airline rules are bewildering! Your 10kg carry-on bag is classed as hand luggage and your handbag/laptop is just your additional personal item. It seems odd about how how
      100ml liquids should be loose in our bags rather than in plastic - I've got a little zip compartment on the front of my wheelie bag so I think I'll keep them in there until we're through security and then pop them in one of those plastic freezer zip bags like we usually do on the other side. Things will probably have changed again by the time you fly.
      Where in Malta are you staying? It was always Bugibba/St Pauls when I went but my brother loves St Julians. xxx

      Delete
  24. As I sit here drying out from a very damp school run, I can't tell you how envious I am of your trip to Greece. Isn't this summer miserable? honestly, it really needs to brighten up now. I like your 'Chippie' look, I do like a bit of chav wear every now and again, especially pink and chavvy lol. Have a great holiday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's been shocking, hasn't it Louise? The only positive I can find to say s that it's not quite as cold as yesterday! I love how Sarah Jane Adams mixes Adidas with vintage, well worth searching for, she's a style inspiration! xxx

      Delete
  25. Yes Vix - Go for it girl - It's so wet and cold here - You and Lord Jon have been so busy recently it will be just what you both need x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flis! I can't stand any more of this weather, today was dreadful! xxx

      Delete
  26. Have a fantastic time in Greece, Vix and make the most of that sunshine! Yammas! Louise (Mids) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Louise! Hoping Birmingham airport isn't too crazy!

      Delete
  27. This weather is grim, our heating kicked in too! Have a wonderful time and enjoy the sun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad you're coming to Greece Vix.
    You don't need a lot of clothes here, the ones you spend together are great!
    A word of advice: don't be outside at noon, the sun is very hot here!
    Get out early in the morning and late in the afternoon!
    Have a great time❤️!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Capsule wardrobe looks great. Have a fabulous time, looking forward to your next pistachio xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have a wonderful break. After Glasto I am sure it is well deserved!! Great wardrobe for both of you. You really have got packing down to a fine art! William won't know whether he's coming or going. Definitely not going, 🤣🤣. He's just bothered that he gets fed!! Zxx ♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  31. Walking can openers. This is good one. Thanks. Ps. Have a lovely holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so late, sorry! I hope you are relaxing and having an amazing time, Vix! I love your silver fish earrings, your gorgeous outfits, and that Adidas top! Cuddles to William, what a grumpy face.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gosh so nice to be able to jet off to Greece. I use to live in Seattle so I know what it is like with the rain. I LOVE all the blue and white pieces you are taking with you, just gorgeous. So jelly. I hope you have/had a great time!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix