Monday 13 May 2024

Escape To Skala: Our Week On Kefalonia

Kalispera! We're back from beautiful Kefalonia, one of the Ionian islands off Greece's west coast, somewhere I'd longed to visit ever since reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin in 1994.


Our home for the week was the village of Skala, on the south of the island. It was built in 1956 to replace the original village which was destroyed by the devastating Ionian earthquake of 1953. The name Skala originates from the Greek word for stairs, so-named as the original village was built on the cliffs to keep it safe from pirate attacks and appeared to ascend as if on stairs. 

Up until the onset of tourism in the late 20th century, Skala was a farming community and most of the 850 residents still have fields and smallholdings where they grow vegetables, olives, lemons, walnuts, oranges, almonds and figs. 

Herds of goats, sheep and cows freely roam the surrounding hillsides and colourful beehives are dotted around the hillsides producing Kefalonia's famous thyme scented honey. The area is also known for its excellent wine producing vineyards.



As you know, we can't bear those bland, purpose-built resorts painted in every shade of fashionable grey preferring something with a bit of character that reflects the country we're visiting. Despite Skala being one of the most popular destinations for holiday makers on the island, we arrived on one of the first international flights of the season so the Greek inhabitants far outnumbered the tourists. There were only a handful of tavernas and bars open and the beach sunbeds & umbrellas were still chained up (although, by the time we left they were all out and ready for the onslaught).




If you've never visited Greece in the springtime then you really should. The roses & geraniums are blooming madly, the trees are laden with oranges and lemons and the fields awash with wildflowers and blood red poppies. Most days the temperatures crept up to around 26°C and there was only one evening when we needed a jacket. 


These are Homer's Steps, which we'd use every day to access the beach. In Homer's The Odyssey, he describes Odysseus as being the King of Ithiki, for centuries believed to be the Ionian Island of Ithaka, Kefalonia's near neighbour. However, scholars have now come to the conclusion that Ancient Ithiki bears little geomorphic resemblance to Ithaka and believe that the island which the legendary Greek king once ruled may actually have been Kefalonia. 


I was hoping I'd get to wear my co-ord and I did! It was warm enough to wear it three times while we were away and it got lots of love from several Greek women who told me that they loved my unique style. The eagle-eyed amongst you might notice that I didn't pack these ridiculously oversized Hermes sunglasses when I'd shared the contents of my cabin bag, I bought them when I was there (wait till you see the other pair, they make these look quite restrained.)


Just like in our garden, the hotel tortoises were out of hibernation!





Skala had a huge cat population, you'll find them in bars, restaurants, on the beach and even wandering up and down the aisles in the minimarket.


This is where you'd find us most days...the photos I took on my phone marked them as having been taken on the neighbouring island of Zakynthos (the land mass you can see in the distance). The water temperature in May is around 18°C, chilly when you wade in but once you're immersed it's absolutely magical. I loved swimming to the rock you can see in the distance, scrambling up it and waving at Jon.


Skala's beach has been awarded with the Blue Flag for its cleanliness and water quality. What's the water like? I asked one of the locals. Only crazy people go in the sea at this time of year, he told me. I swam twice a day, every day...says it all, really! Jon hates cold water but put his big boy pants on and "enjoyed" a fifteen minute swim on his last day.








It wasn't until I'd booked our trip that I'd realised that our visit coincided with Orthodox Easter, a massively important event to Greek Christians. On Good Friday we followed the procession of the Epitafios from the village church. 











On Holy Saturday we watched as pots were flung from the church tower. It's a tradition that dates back to Ancient Greece where the Greeks would throw out their old clay planters and plant seeds in new pots to mark the arrival of Spring. 


And on Easter Sunday, families gathered on long tables in the tavernas and feasted on spit roasted lambs, cooked on open fires in the village square.


The Church of St George was built in 1812 and was a 4km walk from our accommodation. Are we the only ones who, when we pass long grass like this, we always trail our hands through it and hum the theme to Gladiator?









This Doric temple, dedicated to the god Apollo, dates from the 6th century BC – early 4th century BC (Archaic period) and was discovered by archeologist Spyridon Marinatos who excavated the site in 1960, it is unique on Kefalonia as it is the only site found from this period. I can't tell you how much of a thrill I get from placing my hands on those ancient columns we encounter on our travels around Greece.  If only they could talk.....




We continued our walk, passing through landscapes untouched for centuries.







Eventually reaching Limenia Beach on the outskirts of Poros, 10km from our starting point. With no buses (the island's bus service is notoriously poor) and utterly famished, we stuck out our thumbs and hitched a ride back to Skala with a kind young German couple who'd decided that we weren't a pair of psychopaths. 


Closer to home, on the edge of Skala village and on the track down to the beach, lies the remains of a rural Roman Villa believed to be constructed during the 2nd or 3rd century AD for a prosperous Roman resident and is the most important site of Roman origin in Kefalonia.


The ruins of six spaces have been revealed, including the courtyard, and on the floor there are some incredibly beautiful mosaics. One of them depicts a man who is about to sacrifice a bull on an altar. It is thought that the villa was destroyed by fire centuries ago and in early Christian times, a church was constructed on top of the remains. The owner of the land accidentally discovered the existence of the villa, and subsequently, excavations began in 1957.
















Admission to the villa (including a useful leaflet) is just €3 but opening hours are quite erratic so check first if you're travelling from elsewhere on the island. 


Thanks for reading, part 2 coming up very soon!

Apologies for not answering your messages on my Winterbourne post and for being so behind on blog visits. Wandering around Kefalonia has reignited my love of gardening (and for being outside all day) and I've done little else since I got home. I promise to catch up this week.


54 comments:

  1. I always feel like I've read a really good travel magazine when you post after holidays. If there's a few bars and good food options, who needs all the tourist spots. My plan is to look at peek travel times and avoid once retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you to say, Sam. I'm happy with just a few options to eat, we tend to go back to the same places when we've found a gem anyway. xxx

      Delete

  2. Simply heavenly <3
    You look happy in your beautiful blue and white suit. It's unbelievable how blue the Greek sky is.
    Thanks for the nice videos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OO Vix what a beautiful post!
    I am very glad that you enjoyed your trip to Kefalonia!
    So rich in photography!
    Very nice outfits matching the environment.
    You are very brave for taking a bath!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katerina! It was great to be back in Greece, it's been eight months since w left Santorini! I'm fine in cold water, Jon absolutely hates it! xxx

      Delete
  4. Loves beautifully peaceful, glad you had a good time. Good weather and plenty of cats wandering around. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, Valerie. We've both come home feeling really chilled but with renewed enthusiasm for getting stuff done. xxx

      Delete
  5. Your words and photographs have me feeling as though I was right there with you. What a beautiful part of the island. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, it was such a beautiful place to visit. xxx

      Delete
  6. Glorious. Every single moment of this post makes me want to be there. The mosaics in the villa are so beautiful, actually, the whole island is beautiful. No wonder you both love Greece so much. Oh, and welcome back - missed you, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks so much! Kefalonia was everything we thought it would be, so green and tranquil and very similar to our beloved Corfu. I was thrilled to see those mosaics, we'd walked past a couple of times when the ticket office was closed and thought we may have been too early in the season. xxx

      Delete
  7. I love your blog so much, thank you. I'm going to show this post to my students here in Australia who are learning about Roman mosaics with me. A real life encounter by you and Jon! Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. I remember learning about Roman mosaics at school and being spellbound when we went on a school trip to Cirencester to see them for real. The artistry for something so old still takes my breath away. xxx

      Delete
  8. Fantastikos. Oh how I wish I was there. Thanks for the "what I did on my holidays" report. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Megan! Thanks for reading. How's the renovations going? xxx

      Delete
    2. Don't ask, we are floor sanding!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Oh dear, that brings back memories of dust ingrained everything for months afterwards! xxx

      Delete
  9. That was a lovely post Vix. You are our very own Judith Chalmers heehee xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super post thank you. I went to Kefalonia many years ago when there was hardly any tourism it still looks marvellous as do you as always. Love the co-ord! Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue! I bet Kefalonia was incredible back before mass tourism arrived. It's such a lovely island, we'd definitely go back. xxx

      Delete
  11. Your two piece is delightful, you look very Greek! Hermes sunglasses are classic, I would love a pair! The columns and the mosaic relics are really interesting. My brother has taken up dowsing, he has been exploring the vibes from stone circles in Devon, I wonder what those columns would tell us! Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I was so glad I got the chance to wear that two piece, it felt so right wearing it in Greece. My Hermes shades are fakes, the Greek tourist shops sell great quality knock-off designer sunglasses with the recommended UPF 400 lens, I'm still wearing pairs I bought a few years ago.
      Dowsing has always fascinated me, your brother must have inherited your mum's gift.
      Those mosaics are wonderful, aren't they? xxx

      Delete
  12. So lovely post, glad your visit to Kefalonia was so fabulous, with delightful weather and the chance to enjoy the traditional Easter celebrations!.
    Love those amazing mediterranean landscapes (even thistles!), the blue painted doors, cats everywhere, and those mosaics!. Always lovely to see you rocking in your summery dresses and enjoying a swimm in the cold water! (I'm not a coward but that sounds really cold!, totally agree with Jon)
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Monica! We were so lucky with the weather, the forecasts on both of our phones bore no resemblance to the sunshine and heat we got! I was so excited to see Orthodox Easter and to see those centuries-old traditions.
      I think cold water swimming must be my superpower! xxx

      Delete
  13. Oh how wonderful! I could feel the warmth ooze through the pictures - even more so today now we are back to a gloriously rainy day🥴

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fabulous - and lovely to come back to some long awaited warmth and sunshine here, too (no sign of either this morning!) xxx

      Delete
  14. Mary P. StewartTuesday, May 14, 2024

    wonderful pix, as always....i ordered the book that you said inspired your trip...love the flowers and vegetation and kitties and just everything....i feel like i've been there now!...that water would be way too cold for me...glad everything was so enjoyable for you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary! You'll love Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I saw the film version (Penelope Cruz, Nicolas Cage) a few years ago which is okay but the book has so much more depth. Greece is so beautiful in the spring when everything's so green and fresh. I think there were more cats than people in Skala, sometimes we'd sit on a bench in the village square just watching their antics. xxx

      Delete
  15. Such fabulous photos and you look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blue skies, ancient history, amazing fauna and flora, cats in the mini-market and pot smashing: sounds like the most wonderful place on earth! I'm so glad you were able to wear that gorgeous co-ord, it looks absolutely fabulous on you! And it's good to know your wanderings have reignited your love of gardening. I'm hoping the same will happen to me after I've visited the always inspiring NT gardens in June! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Ann, I found your comment in my Spam folder - how very rude of Blogger! Kefalonia was fabulous, we loved every minute and all the cats. I was happy to be able to wear that co-ord, hopefully I won't have to wait till our next trip to Greece to give it another outing.
      A national Trust garden is always inspiring. I can't believe how much we've got done in ours since we got home! xxx

      Delete
  17. Kefalonia looks so beautiful. I always fancied going after watching Captain Corelli too. Now that low pressure's back in charge, I quite fancy a week of sea swimming and hikes in the sunshine.
    I would be in my element with all of those cats...and what a fascinating tradition throwing out old planters and seeds every Easter. The Greeks sure like to throw crockery about!
    The photo of you by the Church of St George looks like an oil painting and the Roman villa mosaics are simply stunning. xxx
    P.S. Loving the co-ord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! May's definitely the time to go to Greece, lovely weather, hardly any tourists and super cheap deals, you'd only need a couple of gins for a three and a quarter hour flight, too!
      It was lovely to see that so many of the locals left biscuits out for the cats and loads of them had their ears lopped (to indicate that they'd been neutered, always good to know).
      I bet the Holy Saturday pot smashing is where the plate throwing originated from. Remember that Greek restaurant next to Snobs in Brum? That was an absolute riot for an office party back in the day! xxx

      Delete
  18. I'd love it at this time of year with all its Spring 🌺 Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I love seeing what's popped up in the garden overnight, our Oriental Poppies started to bloom yesterday, a sure sign it's going to pee down all day! xxx

      Delete
  19. Looks Amazing Vix, and very relaxing. So many Greek Islands to choose from. I also love seeing ancient history around us. Are you getting ready for the onslaught of festival season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kefalonia was gorgeous, Diane. You're right, there's so many Greek islands to choose from, all so different, too. I'll definitely go back. That break did us the world of good, we're starting our festival prep at the weekend. xxx

      Delete
  20. What a magnificent place! Thank you for sharing your pics and the history, Vix. Love your two-piece ensemble - very pretty. Kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! Kefalonia was fabulous, I was so happy to be able to wear that co-ord, too! Greece is cat heaven! xxx

      Delete
  21. It looks really pretty. My kinda of place minus the children. We like to go the west coast of Japan as not many tourists go, its bliss. I can’t do with tours, they are a big con and they are loud annoying and you never get any time on your own.
    Love the kitties they seem so at home there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful, Allie! I love going to Greece in the spring before the masses start arriving. I couldn't believe how many of the people at the hotel went on those TUI trips - the prices were ridiculous and the thought of being stuck on a coach full of Brits doesn't sound much like a holiday to me.
      I love all the Greek cats, they're so friendly. They'll even appear on the beach and roll around on your towel demanding fuss. xxxx

      Delete
  22. Glad you enjoyed your week away . It looks just wonderful with its Spring plants and flowers. I agree those overpriced , bland resorts are not for me either.
    Your outfit in the Greek colours looked fantastic. The ruins always are so interesting and these look well preserved.
    I am with Jon on the cold water swimming. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, Jill. Kefalonia was stunning and so tranquil before the tourist season properly kicks off. Those purpose built places look so bleak & out of place when you travel through Greece, a real blot on the landscape. xxx

      Delete
  23. It looked absolutely beautiful, Vix, and very relaxing. Can certainly see why you love Greece and we can't wait to go back. The islands are all very different aren't they? I still can't get over the price of your holiday! Hope you are booking another lovely break soon! Louise (Mids) X x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise! Greece is just incredible, isn't it? I love how every island feels completely different. Kefalonia was similar to Corfu in how green and lush it was with those elegant Cypresses scattered around the landscape. We're both keen to go back.
      We've got Corfu booked for later in the year but if I can find a cheeky something to squeeze in between festivals I might be tempted! xxx

      Delete
  24. I, too, fell in love with Kefalonia after reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin! What a beautiful place it looks. The sea sounds lovely - I like cool water to swim in. The array of cats was magical and the excavated villa looked amazing. And tortoises, too. I need to add Kefalonia to my lost of must see places. Loved your co-ord!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni. You really ought to go, it's gorgeous and great value for money at this time of year. I think Captain Corelli's Mandolin is overdue a re-read, even my Dad was bewitched with it! The only thing I w in the book. I'm glad I'm not alone in loving a cold water swim, I don't think I ever feel more alive than when I'm sea swimming. xxx

      Delete
  25. I'm with you Vix with the long grass and Gladiator music.
    And I pick up some of the earth, hold it close to my heart and swear to avenge.... x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow what a holiday it looks utterly blissful and so many interesting things to see, my kind of holiday!`

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely place, we'll definitely go back. xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix