Tuesday 26 March 2024

She's Sweet But A Psycho

Whilst the temperatures haven't been up to much, it's all starting to look rather Spring-like in the garden. Even Jacob's come out of hibernation and is currently chomping his way through a lettuce mountain! 
On Sunday morning, with a pile of recently finished paperbacks cluttering up the hall, Jon suggested a trip down to the clearance chazza to drop them off. I'd fallen for this woven linen maxi skirt when I spotted it in Zara's sale last year but they didn't have my size (although my friend Anne was lucky enough to snaffle one in hers!) so I was thrilled to spot it on Vinted. 
The organic cotton blouse, new with the £39.99 price tag still attached, was a £3 find in the clearance charity shop earlier this year and originated from fairtrade label, Omnes. Don't you love that you can plant the label and it'll grow?


I paid £1 for the belt a few years ago. When I bought it I joked that it belonged to the mysterious H from Line of Duty not realising that its stamped Hermes (although I highly doubt its real!)  


Talking of "designer"stuff, remember when I found that £1,045 Victoria Beckham "Quincy" bag in the clearance charity shop back in the Covid years (HERE)? What are the chances of finding another on Sunday? This one's a bit scuffed but nothing a bit of shoe polish won't sort out.


Here's some of our other chazza shop finds from next week - vintage Barretts leather boots; 1980s cropped leather jacket; That Christian Lacroix jacket; TOAST linen top; Hand knit cardi; 1980s Peter Baron midi dress; Fabulous fake fur jacket; 1980s Shelley's, London suede Western boots; 1980s Italian leather trench coat (very The Matrix!); 1980s Ciro Citterio Italian cable knit; 1980s Gabicci jacket; TOAST needlecord midi dress; French designed/Indian-made sari wrap dress from a posh boutique in Barbados.


What could be more appropriate to wear on Monday, which being 25th March was Greek Independence Day, but this Minoan print midi dress? A magnificent £3 from Vinted!


It was obviously inspired by the Greek designer, Mary Katrantzou's Spring/Summer 2017 collection which referenced some of the culture of the land of her birth. We saw the magnificent mosaics printed on the dress when we visited Knossos in 2022. 


After an early morning swim followed by breakfast at Spoons & a tazz around the chazzas, today's been another day of eBay listing. The last couple of days have been dry and bright (allelujah!), perfect for taking stock photos outside. I'm wearing a Dilli Grey maxi dress and a pair of (not) Gucci sunglasses (via a Greek supermarket!)
 

At the tail end of last year I picked up a copy of Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City from a charity shop and devoured it in an afternoon. Before they became novels, Maupin's stories about the lives of the tenants of 28, Barbary Lane in San Francisco, many of whom were LGBT, were serialised in the San Francisco Chronicle from 1976 onwards. The first book was made into a mini series in 1993 and funded by Britain's Channel Four because the US networks "refused to portray gay people in a positive light" (what the actual f*ck?!!!) I absolutely adored the TV series but reading the book gave me such a jolt - when I watched Tales of the City I was 27, a year older than Mary Ann Singleton, the uptight young woman who ran away from Cleveland to start a new life in swinging 70s San Francisco; in December 2023, I was older than Mrs Madrigal, the eccentric marijuana-growing landlady with a mysterious past. 


Jon recently surprised me with this - a boxed set of both Tales of the City and the second series, More Tales of the City (which I never saw when it originally aired in 1998) - and I love it just as much the second time around.


I'd forgotten how much I adored free-spirited hippy goddess Mona Ramsay. That hair, that face, that body, those clothes!! I was so disappointed that the actor who played her, Chloe Webb (best known for playing Nancy Spungen opposite Gary Oldman's Sid Vicious in the 1986 film Sid And Nancy) was replaced by a younger - and far less feisty - actor in the second series. 


I think over the last 31 years I've subconsciously morphed into Mona...Afghan dresses, voluminous kaftans, shirred sundresses, Indian block prints, embroidered jackets, mad hair and the refusal to wear a bra....I've just got to work on the witty one liners. 







As Tales of the City was pre-internet, I'm struggling to find many images from the show to share. I loved this tribute video someone posted on YouTube especially as I was often described as Sweet but a Psycho back in the day!


We've managed to find Further Tales of the City and Tales of the City (2019) on our streaming service so our Barbary Lane fix can continue into next week.

Were you a fan of Tales of the City? Who was your favourite? 

UPDATE: Attention all Brits! Channel Four are currently screening series one on catch-up HERE


Stay tuned for some More Tales of the City....I'm off to Birmingham with Nikki tomorrow!!

49 comments:

  1. I loved Tales of the City - both the books and the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandra! Armistead Maupin's writing is wonderful, isn't it? I'm so enjoying catching up with the series we missed.

      Delete
  2. Hi Vicky
    I adore the tales of the city series. Like you, mona is my favourite, closely followed by the lovely Michael mouse 🙂 did you know that there’s a new book just come out about Mona living in a stately home in the UK?
    See you at End of the Road
    Love Max xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Max! Can't wait to catch up with you. Michael Mouse is lovely, too. I've just watched the episode where he has a fling with the film star. I spotted that there was a new book out. I've managed to get hold of the first six books but I think I need the whole set. xxx

      Delete
    2. Yes!, you need them all :-) I don’t keep many books but my tales of the city are staying with me forever xx

      Delete
    3. I've managed to get the whole set now - the only one missing is the latest, Mona's Mansion. I'm so excited! xxx

      Delete
  3. How beautiful is Katrantzou's dress! These days she presented here in Greece the costumes that will be worn by the priestesses at the Olympic flame lighting ceremony in Ancient Olympia for the Paris Olympic Games! I always enjoy your posts. Great vintage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Greek Independence Day for yesterday, Katerina! I love the Mary Katrantzou's Ancient Greek collection, I wish i could afford to buy all of them! xxx

      Delete
  4. I’m sorry - a thousand quid for a bloody handbag? The world has gone stark, staring, raving ruddy mad - but I hope it does extremely well for you on FleaBay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's loads of unfathomable things that people squander their cash on, I don't necessary get why they do but if those crazy folk chose to donate their costly item to a charity when they're done with it, they can't be all bad, can they? xxx

      Delete
    2. You’re absolutely right my darling - think what I spent on the campervan when I could be driving a small car which uses less fuel. xx

      Delete
    3. Or me who squanders her cash by travelling around the world with nothing but a billion photos and some good memories to show for it! xxx

      Delete
  5. You always find the best things to buy. The H belt looks better than the new ones.
    Cute Jacob <3
    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it when Jacob comes out of hibernation, Spring's almost here! xxx

      Delete
  6. I'm stunned at what you fine at the chazza Vix, I can't understand paying so much new for a handbag, I would be scared to use it, mine get flung around and stepped on and treated very badly. I loved Tales of City, when I read the book, I had just moved out of home and I desperately wanted to move into a building like Barbary Lane, probably why I identified with Mary Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane! I'm the same, I want to enjoy things without being too precious about them. My bags are overstuffed, sit on sticky pub floors or grubby public transport or get chucked into locker, there's no way I'd feel comfortable doing that to a bag I'd paid more than a tenner for!
      I can see why you identified with Mary Ann, moving out of home at the same time. I loved my time living in shared houses when I was a student, like her I shared my home with some quirky & crazy folk! xxx

      Delete
  7. Your finds.... sigh.... we get nothing like this in New Zealand Op shops. However, i have an Armani soft wool black tee shirt which I've worn for years, and from time to time have found designer high end stuff. Which of course I wear until they fall to bits.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that Armani tee shirt was super quality! Jon's found a couple of their merino wool jumpers over the years, they're not been his style or size but the quality has been fabulous. xxx

      Delete
  8. Mona, or course. Worst re-casting in history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What were they thinking? Can you imagine the original Mona working on reception at The Blue Moon Lodge? xxx

      Delete
  9. I am a big fan of AMs writing too
    And what a city to live in
    The 25th marked the first anniversary of Tony’s death - I don’t know how I have lived a year without him
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, that must have been a tough day for you and your family. What a sad anniversary, Siobhan. I can't believe it's been a year since you lost Tony.
      AM's writing is so warm and witty. I'd love to visit SF. On my searching for photos of Mona I read a blog written by a British man who went on a 5000 mile pilgrimage to Barbary Lane - he knew it wasn't a real place but he wanted to follow in the footsteps of Mary Ann. xxx

      Delete
  10. I've heard of the book, but not the TV show! It looks awesome, and you do look kinda like that character. I adore your Greek-inspired knock-off dress, Vix - it's just stunning! I loved poring over your pics of your finds. Lacroix!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try and get hold of the series if you can, Sheila. There's loads of Canadian actors in it, the writing, the acting and the vintage clothes, cars and soundtrack are so good!
      How crazy is that knock-off dress? I fell down a rabbit hole when I found it and was positively drooling over that Ancient Greek Katrantzou collection! xxx

      Delete
  11. Hello Jacob! Fred is also out...a little bit grumpy, but out. :-D
    I can't believe you found another VB bag! Some other great finds at the charity shops too (many of those items would have cost a pretty penny wouldn't they?)
    The Greek inspired dress is fun!
    I've never heard of Tales of the City unfortunately!
    Enjoy your day out with Nikki! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When is a tortoise ever not grumpy?! He's been fast asleep indoors all day today, can't say I blame him!
      I was very excited to spot a couple of TOAST pieces, why are they never my size?
      You would love Tales of the City. I've just checked and Channel 4 has series one on catch-up - weekend viewing? xxx

      Delete
  12. I absolutely love Tales of the City. I first read it in a squat in Islington in a freezing cold winter, the tales of a gloriously warm San Francisco were fantastic to me. Oh those were the days!!!
    I love your Zara skirt. ...Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan! God, I wanted to move to 28 Barbary Lane so much, it sure beat my mid-terrace in Walsall's red light district!
      If that skirt didn't have a Zara label I'd have thought it was some fancy tourist souvenir from the 1970s! xxx

      Delete
  13. Never heard of Tales of the City, I have been missing out. I can't understand why people want to pay such huge prices for a VB bag (the letters alone when emblazoned on a bag would make my hubby come out with rude jokes tbh!), reminds me of a girl at school whose initials were VD and were unfortunately stamped on her school bag by her loving parents. I like your Omnes orange top, what a beautiful piece it is - and yay! when I see Jacob I know it's truly Spring :) Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're missing a treat, Betty! I think you'd love Tales of the City as much as me!
      I'm a VB so it's okay for me to have the logo on a bag I carry! VD is a bit unfortunate, though!
      I'm all about Spring green and orange clothes at the moment, Nikki & I have just been drooling over an orange maxi dress in Fatface, maybe this time next year it'll be on Vinted for £2! xxx

      Delete
    2. ha ha! I hadn't thought (hope you didn't think I was rude!) - your initials qualify you for the bag, definitely! I watched an episode of Tales of the City, I love Mrs Madrigal/Magical! Betty

      Delete
    3. I didn't think you were rude, at all! Isn't Mrs Madrigal fabulous? Wait till you see her wearing "our" kaftan! xxx

      Delete
  14. Yay, we're Zara skirt twins! I'm so glad you finally found one in your size!
    The Minoan print midi dress is a stunner too, and looks absolutely amazing on you.
    I can't believe you've found another VB bag too. It boggles my mind that someone is prepared to fork out over £ 1000 for a bag and then donates it without a second thought.
    And oh, hello Jacob!
    Although I've read Tales of the City, and loved it, I'm ashamed to admit that I wasn't even aware of the fact that it was serialized. I'll be having a look at that Mona Ramsey tribute video in a minute! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to find a photo of you wearing your Zara skirt so I could link it! I'm so glad i've finally found one, they're so lovely! I couldn't say no to that Minoan dress, the print is so good.
      You need to track down a set of Tales Of the City, it was so true to the book. xxx

      Delete
  15. I have never heard of Tales of the City - somehow it has passed me by!
    And (photo 7) I love the side parting 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I love a side parting when I can get it right, I've got a cowlick thingy so it can look very strange! Tales of the City is brilliant, so inclusive and beautifully written, well worth a catch-up whilst it's on Channel 4! xxx

      Delete
  16. I was fascinated by the television series of "Tales" and particularly remember admiring Olympia Dukakis' costumes. At the time, a family member was working in an odd little antique shoppe owned by an odd little antique lady -- who wasn't, actually. So very long ago, that time.

    The Minoan mini-dress is a magical robe of youth: wearing it you do look like the 27-year-old who was beginning a life-long expedition to experience far-away places.

    My greetings of the season to dear Jacob Herrmann. Saw the first robin of spring and thought of him. *ahem* Is he old enough yet to seek a mate? And where will he find one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth! Olympia Dukakis was my second favourite character, she was so elegant and wise (loved her foul mouthed,wig wearing mama, too!) I like the sound of the antique shop and the little old lady who wasn't!
      I'm so unused to wearing closer-fitting clothes, I'm always surprised at how different I look with them on!
      Jacob is coming to that age (I used to chat to a chap at the baths who'd had two females since he was a child, they reached sexual maturity at 60!) xxx

      Delete
  17. Loved Tales of the City. Loved Mrs Madrigal. Olympia Dukakis (such a great name) played her brilliantly. I believe Armistead Maupin is coming to Edinburgh Book Festival again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked it up, AM was in Edinburgh two weeks ago!!!He's going to Manchester 4th April.

      Delete
    2. What a shame you missed AM and I'm gutted he's not coming to the Midlands! Olympia Dukakis was such a fabulous and elegant lady, she played Mrs Madigral to perfection - currently on the final episode of Tales of the City (2019) where Mary Ann returns to Barbary Lane to surprise Anna on her 90th Birthday. xxx

      Delete
  18. I'm sure I've got the Tales of the City DVDs somewhere, I need to look them out and have a proper watch. What are the odds of you finding another Victoria Beckham bag, well done. Did you sell or keep the first one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do, they're just as good thirty years later! The other bag is still in my wardrobe. xxx

      Delete
  19. Fabulous deal! You look great in orange. Love the hat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just bobbing in to share this excellent Armistead Maupin interview
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/feb/24/look-at-your-country-its-amazing-armistead-maupin-on-moving-to-london

    Elaine Anon xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix