Friday 16 February 2024

Victorian Radicals - A Sight for Sore Eyes



Apologies for my absence from Blogland this week, I'm having eye issues and needed to limit my screen time. I had to laugh when I spotted a box of Pop Art occlusion patches in a charity shop earlier today, they might help explain away the reason why I'm stumbling around in sunglasses in the middle of Winter!


 Anyway, enough of my woes. On Wednesday I caught the train over to Birmingham to catch up with my pal, Annie, who I'd not seen since Birmingham hosted The Commonwealth Games back in the Summer of 2022. As Annie buses it into town, we met outside The Rotunda and she treated me to a pint in The Old Joint Stock on Temple Street, one of Birmingham's most beautiful Victorian pubs.




Annie's off to Espana very soon so we celebrated with a Cruzcampo. (I pinched this photo from Annie!) 


And, of course, the obligatory toilet selfie. You can tell that the Old Joint Stock is posh, there's hand cream alongside the handwash!


Our destination was Victorian Radicals which the Birmingham Art Gallery & Museum's website described a lot better than me. 


Three generations of British artists, designers and makers revolutionised the visual arts in the second half of the nineteenth century. The Pre-Raphaelites, William Morris and his circle and the men and women of the Arts and Crafts movement transformed art and design.

Selected from the city of Birmingham's outstanding collection, Victorian Radicals presents vibrant paintings and exquisite drawings alongside jewellery, glass, textiles and metalwork to explore their radical vision for art and society.


Fresh from an award-winning tour of the US, Victorian Radicals is the first comprehensive showing of the city’s Pre-Raphaelite and Arts and Crafts collections in Birmingham for over five years. Discover the story of the Pre-Raphaelites themselves and their influence on artists and makers well into the twentieth century – especially in Birmingham itself. Paintings made by artists including Kate Bunce, Joseph Southall and Arthur Gaskin combined the poetry and intensity of the Pre-Raphaelites’ work with a distinctive identity all their own.




Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery has been temporarily closed since March 2020 but reopened briefly over the duration of the 2022 Commonwealth Games attracting more than 400,000 visitors, including Annie & I. Victorian Radicals is being held in Gas Hall, which adjoins the main museum. 


I've visited most of these artworks regularly for most of my life but due to the museum's closure it's been several years since I've seen them and they're still as astonishingly beautiful. I probably took photos of every exhibit on display, it was really hard to choose which to include in my post. 


Portrait of Dante Gabriel Rossetti (c.1882) by William Holman Hunt 


Elijah and The Widow's Son by Ford Maddox Brown (1864) 


The Annunciation by Arthur Hughes (1858)


 Pretty Baa Lambs by Ford Maddox Brown (1851 - 1859)


Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Holman Hunt ( 1851)



The Blind Girl by John Everett Millais (1854 - 1856)



The Long Engagement by Arthur Hughes (1854 - 1859)


On every student's bedroom wall in the 1980s (including mine!) Chatterton (The Death of Chatterton) by Henry Wells (1855 - 56)



 Work by Ford Maddox Brown (1859 - 1863)





Winter (Stained glass panels by William Morris) 




Morgan le Fay by Frederick Sandys (1864)



La Donna della Finestra by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1881)


Found by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1854 - 55) and a study of Fanny Cornforth's beautiful face especially for my friend Elaine. 





Bacchus by Simeon Solomon (1867)




A Young Woman Holding a Rose by Emma Sandys (1870 - 1872)


Proserpine by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1881 - 82)


Medea by Frederick Sandys (1866 - 68)



Beate Beatrix by Dante Gabriel Rossetti (and completed by Ford Maddox Brown), the painting that piqued my interest in the Pre-Raphaelites. I was shopping in Birmingham's legendary Oasis Market at the age of 16 and was sent to the art gallery to find this painting by one of the stall holders who said I looked just like her. 


The Last of England by Ford Maddox Brown (1852)



The Finding of the Saviour in the Temple by William Holman Hunt (1854 - 60). The woman in the foreground is one half of a fascinating and very glamorous couple I got chatting to, she was wearing THIS  brooch by Erté and they owned a couple of his original artworks. 



Morris & Co. stained glass panel depicting St Mark and designed by Edward Burne-Jones. 



Above, The Wizard by Edward Burne-Jones (1891) and below, The Holy Grail Tapestries (11890 - 91), also by Burne-Jones.


Aesthetic movement jewellery, made in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter (swoon!)





The Works of Geoffrey Chaucer imprinted by William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones for the Kelmscott Chaucer (1896).







Edward Burne-Jones Pygmalion series.



The Keepsake by Mary Elizabeth Bunce. I don't know which dress I love more! 



 Musica by Mary Elizabeth Bunce (1895)










Above - Sigismonda (or Gismonda) and below- New Lamps for Old both painted by Joseph Edward Southall and gilded by Anna Elizabeth Baker




Choosing the Red and White Roses in the Temple Gardens by Henry Albert Payne (1908 - 10)



After purchasing a few souvenirs from the museum gift shop (sadly the exhibition catalogue has already sold out) we headed across town for lunch at The Indian Brewery where, as usual, I ordered a Chaart Attack and a pint of their finest Birmingham-brewed ale. 


Thanks for a fabulous day, Annie...let's not leave it so long next time!




I treated Jon to a Victorian Radicals lollipop from the gift shop...well, it was Valentine's Day!




Victorian Radicals 
10th February until 31st October from 10am - 5pm
(Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.)

£11 adults 

Book HERE or pay on the door (card payments only)


Victorian Radicals is astonishing and worth every penny of the £11 entrance fee, it certainly won't be my last visit!

29 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post I love, love it. I have seen a lot of the paintings before but so wonderful to see so many and the jewellery oh my, be still my heart. I also like the Martin Brothers jug, I'm a great fan of their work. Hope your eye troubles are better have to say think the eye patch just makes you look mysterious. Thank you once again for sharing your great day out. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a lovely day out. I can't get over how fabulous the exhibition is, I'm going to have to go again.
    Thank you for the lovely lunch, and, yes, let's not leave it so long next time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post! From the eye patch to the jug, which I now know is by Martin Brothers (thank you, Sencosue!), and all the glorious 2D artwork. I've developed a strong appreciation for this era--both for their artwork and their socioeconomic views--so always welcome the chance to glimpse more of it. Wishing your eye a speedy recovery, Vix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the photo of lovely Fan, Vix - you forget just how beautiful Rossetti's drawings (and pastels) are - without 'the mouth' that seems to feature so much in his later oils. I hope your eyes are feeling much better; less screen time = better mental health I find lol
    How sad you couldn't get hold of a catalogue - if you need to console yourself I can recommend Dante Gabriel Rossetti (epic exhibition by The Van Gogh Museum and The Walker Art Gallery L'pool in Oct 2003 to Jan2004) ISBN 90-400-8915-9 Abe Books have it (it's a whopper)

    Elaine Anon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs and complete healing wishes for your eyes. Love the patch. Thanks so much for sharing my favourite artists with me. I am emerald with envy. More hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you’re suffering eye problems at present, I sympathise having never fully recovered from a PVD in 2018 which still causes issues on a ‘bad day’.

    I am glad it did not spoil your wonderful day out with Annie, fabulous exhibition which I suspect cannot be fully appreciated in one visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous exhibition, so much colour and beauty, but the thing that stood out for me above the rest... the
    Martinware Wallybird jug in that lovely blue... it is just beautiful! Sorry you have eye problems, hope can be fixed. Really enjoyed this post thank you. BETTY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you are not operating at full capacity, but still manage to do so much amazing stuff.
    Thanks for a great write up of the amazing Pre Raphelites. I’m so jealous, I wish I was able to see it.
    Take care, Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, bye! I hope your eye problem is solved! Your post is great it has it all Art, food, going out... Thank you so much! Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear of your eye problems I hope it is resolved very soon.
    What a glorious exhibition. Loved seeing these, thanks for sharing. The jewellery is divine. Lunch looked yummy! Love Carole R.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best wishes for you and your eyes! The pub is a wonderful place to be, it looks fantastic. Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear you're having eye issues, which is something I can definitely sympathize with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the problem is resolved soon!
    Thank you so much for taking us with you to the Victorian Radicals exhibition. I'm amazed you were able to tear yourself away from it at all. I would love to see it all with my own eyes, which I might well be able to if I can persuade Jos to exchange the country for the city for one day in June ... In the meantime, I must have scrolled through your post a dozen times already. What a shame the exhibition catalogue was sold out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really sorry to hear about your eye(s) acting up-hope you're ok, and getting better❤️you are the only person who can make an eye patch look cool✨
    What a gorgeous exhibition. The painting La Donna della Finestra is so haunting-those hands! Thanks for sharing all that beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks right up my street. Another one to add to the list of potential things to do when we get to Birmingham. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one cool eye patch. Glad your eye is feeling better now. Beautiful pieces.. thank you for sharing them all with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful artwork, £11 to see that and more is money very well spent. I would have spent a full day in there, trying not to drool over the art. I am always astounded how like my cousin Dante Gabriel Rossetti was,. it always catches my breath when I see images or photos of him.

    I hope your eye is on the mend now, it's very sensible of you to limit screen time, your other eye will be working overtime. I think you should also limit housework, plant care, cleaning and cooking too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry to hear about your eye troubles, and for not commenting for ages. I'm on my computer all day at work, and I try not to go online when I'm at home but that means I miss seeing the posts from one of the few bloggers I still follow (you!).
    The women in all the artworks are so beautiful. That's the Pre-Raphaelites for you, they knew how to make a lady look good :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read two reviews of this exhibition before I read of your experiences and it makes me want to visit even more! Fabulous; especially the jewellery. Ans that Erte brooch was magnificent. How lucky she was to own such a beautiful item. I hope Jon enjoyed his Valentine's lollipop.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, how did you not break the glass and just take everything home with you, Vix?? I was practically swooning over all the paintings, the clothes and then...the jewelry! I can't wait to see what you found in the gift shop - aren't museum gift shops the best places to find amazing pieces? What a lovely day for you and your pal, and I hope your vision is back to normal again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. So many beautiful images and artefacts, I feel like you would need to keep visiting in order to absorb it all. My local church, where little Miss was baptised, ots filled with beautiful Pre-Raphaelite art work and Morris and Co stained glass windows. We're very lucky indeed to be able to see such beautiful things. I hope your eye is feeling better xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I dressed as Musica once on my blog!!!! This looks so interesting to have visited! You fit right in in your velvet!x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Vix, get well soon!, hope your eye recover quickly!. Totally amazing that you found those patches so you can deal with it in style (and humour!).
    Lovely that you met an old friend and started your day off with a Cruzcampo in a victorian pub (both are fabulous things I love!). But then you lucky ladies enjoyed that gorgeous exhibition of Fabulousness! (and you were all dressed up in your massive sleeves!, so appropriate!). Totally my kind of art and lots of delightful pieces in that gothic-renaissance style that I love so much. Stained glass and jewellery pieces are my favourite things!
    Thanks for sharing it with us!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful exhibit - thank you for all the photos. We were in Cornwall (from the US) in September and the Falmouth city gallery had quite a nice Pre-Raphaelite exhibit that we happened to catch. Not as wonderful as this one but surprisingly comprehensive for a small, city gallery (as opposed to an art museum). William Morris tapestries loaned by Jimmy Page were the centerpiece. We were so pleased to have caught it. I would love to see this one! - Deane

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many beautiful photos! Sending hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These paintings are so beautiful they make me want to cry- in a good way!
    Amazing Exhibition, that's for sharing.

    I hope your eye will get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful post, photos and exhibition! Love the art but above all the jewellery and those purses, so cute! I have one but it's actually a coin purse my grandmother gifted me a couple of years ago for my birthday if I'm not mistaken! Also, the details on the lollipop, I love it! Happy you had a great time and once again, hoping you feel better very soon! All the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Healing Energies sent your way, hope the Sight returns to normal soon and you'll be back to Blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a treat! Gorgeous paintings! Thank you for sharing Vix xXxXx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, your poor eye!

    I really want to see that exhibition. We can't go away for our anniversary this year - the cattery is fully booked - so we're planning to spend nights away here and there, and I'm already nudging Pete about getting up to Birmingham to see it. The material culture side of it really interests me. That grumpy bird jug is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix