Friday 9 February 2024

Going Round The Houses

  

Friday already! Where does the time go?


On Tuesday morning I wore my £2 Vinted bargain, this midnight blue velvet military dress, originally from Monsoon, for swimming followed by breakfast in 'Spoons.


On Wednesday, for a morning of charity shopping, I wore a Indian block printed midi dress from Dilli Grey and one of my vintage Afghans (this one was bought by the original owner from a market stall in Bradford in 1975).


On Thursday for swimming, Spoons and a trip to Lidl for a £1.50 Waste Not box (pictured below) I wore a Zara maxi dress and Fly,London biker boots (both charity shopped) and my Mascob for Liberty velvet Badim jacket. The weather was absolutely rancid, the rain was relentless and it barely got light all day but at least the forecasted snow never materialised.


On Friday I wore a vintage Shubette of London peacock feather print maxi with my mum's Mongolian curly lamb coat. I was with her when she bought it  - at great expense - from the Sheepskin Shop in Walsall back in 1975. Unlike her amazing cream Afghan, this coat narrowly dodged my Dad's manic cull of her stuff after she died and I managed to rescue it from the bin in the nick of time. This was what I wore to drop another sack of donations off at the charity shop.
 

We've spent every afternoon this week doing domestic stuff (we've certainly earned tonight's rum!) My dressing table had seen better days what with the drawers constantly coming off their runners so I decided to swap it with the pitch pine Edwardian chest of drawers I'd been lugging around with me since my student days as seen below, buried under junk stuff that will come in useful one day. 
 

Structurally sound but missing a couple of handles, I remembered a box of 24 Indian ceramic hand painted knobs we'd bought for £4 in a charity shop months ago. 


Jon decided that he could repurpose the carcass of the discarded dressing table whilst I came up with a cunning plan to reuse one of the ill-fitting drawers.


The legs were saved from a mid-century table which had gone to the great scrap heap in the sky a decade ago. That's one of the ceramic knob from the boxful we bought, isn't it pretty?


Here's the chest of drawers and used-to-be-a-drawer table in situ.



Perfect for storing my nail paint and my hair accessories. Much better than the floor, where they usually live!


Charity shop karma is a thing. We've donated some good stuff this week meaning that some even better stuff came our way.


These 1960s mini dresses and belted Crimplene jacket must have belonged to the same woman. The orange and purple printed cotton maternity dress is identical to one my Mum wore when she was pregnant with me in 1966. 


There's also a West African waxed cotton bomber jacket (with the store tags still attached), a 1980s purple studded jacket, a vintage Frank Usher chiffon maxi dress, a 1960s Welsh tweed coat, a fake fur Cossack hat, a 1980s velvet trimmed pleated smock dress by Parigi, a 1970s Borg-lined sheepskin, a 1960s framed leather bag, a burn-out velvet blazer from an Amsterdam boutique, a vintage Icelandic jumper and a 1990s Italian-made purple leather coat. 


Stonecroft isn't the only house having a tidy-up this week, my Lundby Stockholm, which lives in our bedroom, got a spring clean, too. The Stockholm was introduced in 1975 and, like the more common Gothenburg (of which I've got two), it has an electrical transformer enabling the house to be lit up. The Stockholm is the only dolls house Lundby made with a removable front, making it less of a dust magnet. My model is from 1979, when the lower storey, comprising a stable block (every little girl's' dream!) was introduced. 



Saga is my alter-ego. She loves a flamboyant frock and invariably has a wine glass close at hand. You're more likely to find her sunning herself on the balcony or curled up with a book in the lounge, rarely venturing into the kitchen.










Click on the image to enlarge.

I can't tell you how much pleasure I get from opening up my Stockholm and peeping at the Lundby family enjoying their swanky pad. I recently stumbled upon a basketful of vintage Lundby furniture in a charity shop which, of course, I had to rescue (some of the older furniture is very sought after). Like our real house, my mini houses are crammed to the rafters but I'm sure I can find a way to shoehorn a bit more stuff in. 


57 years old going on 7, that's me!


Thanks for reading! Have a fab weekend and see you on the other side.

45 comments:

  1. Gah, I think I crave and covet your “box of knobs” even more than I do most of your wardrobe 🤣 🤣. What a wonderful reuse of your old furniture for nail/hair essentials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jayne! I knew that box of knobs would come in useful eventually! xxx

      Delete
  2. My daughter would love your box of knobs! She recently switched out boring stainless handles for colorful dual knobs on her 124 year old kitchen cupboards . The Lidl box had me at the pineapple and peppers. Lunch sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those knobs make all the difference, don't they? I'm eyeing up that pineapple on a twice-daily basis, I can't wait for it to ripen! xxx

      Delete
  3. What a wizard idea - the drawer on legs. The knobs are lovely and they look fab on the repurposed drawers. It's good to have a place for everything and everything in its place - that's what I strive for and mostly achieve it. Loving all the outfits and how brilliant you still have some of your mum's clothes and jewellery.

    Your Lidl box looked superb. I haven't seen a box of Lidl veg since we were last in Ireland in the summer...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size of that drawer couldn't have been more perfect. Yes, as long as there's a space for it, there's no such thing as having too much of anything! xxx

      Delete
  4. You have been busy! Love the repurposed drawer on those mid century legs...inspired!
    So glad you rescued your Mom's fab coat and thanks for the tour of Saga's house! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're on a roll at the moment! We haven't been so focussed on improving the house since we were in lockdown! xxx

      Delete
  5. A friend of mine also practiced this spell: release good stuff into the flow and see the currents return it tenfold! When her home was hit by a tornado, I went to help clear up debris in the garden. Her shed was missing its door, and her solution was to take a set of unused chairs from the shed and set them at the curb with a sign, "Free!". When we returned from a trip to the tip, the chairs were gone, replaced by the door. She was not surprised. Not at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! What a story! I'm glad your friend got her door back even though it meant sacrificing the chairs to do so! xxx

      Delete
  6. Fab doll's houses! A few years ago my husband made one for me (working in secret in the shed!) as a Christmas present. I felt like a little girl as I unwrapped it. It's a dressmaker/haberdashery shop.He also made me a miniature pub, which has the "working girls" upstairs! Best wishes, Lizziex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lizzie! What a gem your husband sounds. I absolutely love the miniature dressmaker/haberdashery shop and the pub with the working girls upstairs. xxx

      Delete
  7. The blue Monsoon Dress is beautiful, and the red Lipstick suits you so well. Your dressing table looks fine and elegant now. And i fall in love with your Lundby Stockholm House, it is fantastic. Have a great happy Weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, first time I've heard weather called 'absolutely rancid'-good one.
    I love all the fluffy hats, that gorgeous blue velvet dress, and the rescued curly Mongolian lamb is really so great, and special.
    And what a good idea, turning that drawer into a home for nail polish-it looks so cool. You're inspiring me to come up with a better place for mine.
    Have a lovely weekend🙂✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie! Oh yeah, Thursday's weather really was rancid, one of those days when it never gets light and you may as well abandon all hope of staying dry! xxx

      Delete
  9. The drawer on legs is excellent! I love you wearing all your fluffy hats! I'd like a white/tan one too! Your velvet dress looks brilliant! CBC keeps telling me to get a dressing table but I probably need a big chest to keep all my mess in beside the bed!
    I was actually wondering about your doll houses recently and wondering if they'd make a return here! Hurrah!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! I do love my fluffy hats, now I'm completed the trilogy I've got one to match every outfit!
      Dressing tables are all well and good but a chest of drawers with a wall mounted mirror accommodate a lot more. xxx

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your dollhouse. I also have one that I rescued from the footpath a couple of streets away on a day when it was absolutely bucketing down and by the time I got home we were both soaked. After it had dried out in the sun for a few days you could see it had been lovingly handmade. I have painted and wallpapered it and am adding to it slowly as I find bits.
    I do love your repurposed drawer, it looks fab with those legs. And I do agree that charity shop karma is a real thing.
    Megan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Megan! How exciting that you found an abandoned dolls house and that you loved it enough to lug it home in the rain. I bet the maker would be happy that someone has been able to give it a home. They're fiddly but ultimately so rewarding, I never get tired of peeping through the windows of mine! xxx

      Delete
  11. The ceramic knob is very pretty indeed. I love how creative you are with your furniture, the repurposed piece looks lovely. It seems like you found a great place for your nail polish.
    I love your vintage outfits. The hat is gorgeous as well. You always wear maxis so well.
    I do believe thrift shop karma is real. Great finds.
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! I love remodelling the furniture we already have, adapting what we already own before considering buying replacements. Having my nail polish at the right height and on display is a tiny, almost insignificant tweak but it it makes life a teeny bit easier! xxx

      Delete
  12. P.S. The doll house is fantastic. I love all the small details in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The doll's house..... still a fantasy for some of us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a little rooftop balcony like Saga's (and the weather to enjoy it all year round!) xxx

      Delete
  14. I so love and appreciate the detail in your posts! I read every one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I really appreciate your comment! Thanks so much! xxx

      Delete
  15. The Lidl box this week is another beauty, lots of very good stuff.

    Now that dolls house is like a mini version or your des res ... something I'm sure I've seen a horror film or two of. Make sure the dolls come to no harm whatever you do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lidl have done us proud lately! I'm testing the leaves on that pineapple for days now and it's still not quite ripe enough, I think it ended up in the box as it's a bit wonky rather than being past its best.
      Those dolls are slightly deranged looking (hence comparing Saga with me!) xxx

      Delete
  16. That doll house is darling..
    Gorgeous knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Charity shop karma is real! However, I was in one of our locals this morning with a lot of our recent donations out on the rails - and it all went a bit oooh how nice (... hang on that looks familiar) lol

    Our Lidl has given up on the boxes - they haven't enough staff to stock the store and man the tills - so the produce was often on it's last legs :( Having said that, I don't think they have much f+v waste - always quickly bought when it comes in.

    The military frock is such a beautiful colour and the spectacular belt is the icing on the cake.

    Your doll-house world is lovely - I did laugh at the bike repair scenario - we frequently had motorbkes in our kitchen ... oh dear.

    They usually have a shelf full of those lovely Indian knobs in TKMaxx - I'm not often allowed in homewares because they often have Morris & Co and blue and white tableware /bowls.

    Love your furniture repurposing - if you've a spare drawer you could fit 4 small castors and make William a cat skateboard lol.

    Elaine Anon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I was meaning to ask Vix - do you have any Kinky Shed tips on keeping clothing healthy in storage? I've migrated my entire seasonal wardrobe into the attic which is dry but cold. It's all on rails each with a zipped cover - anything delicate (silk etc) stays downstairs in the wardrobe. I've just put one of those wardrobe dehumidifiers in each along with a hanging moth-killing thing.

      Delete
    2. That made me nod in agreement, Elaine. Jon's often picked up things I've donated thinking he's spotted something good (well, it is good, just not my good any more!)
      Walsall was christened the fattest town in the media a few years ago, I think the "Walsall Wobblies" (The Guardian's description, not mine!) are far more interested in fried chicken and burgers than fresh fruit & veg hence the surfeit of produce up for grabs in Lidl.
      I should have put a campervan cupboard and three bin bags of vintage clothes in one of the doll's house rooms to make mine more authentic!
      I'm almost relieved me don't have a TK Maxx any more. Banardos have a range of Morris & Co but it's awful, even with most of it reduced to under £5 I wouldn't touch it, William's probably spinning in his grave!
      A car skateboard! William's holding out for the Aldi leopard skin cat sofa I showed him online last week. Honestly, he's got such grand ideas, you'd never guess he was a street cat!
      RE: the storage. We've got one of those Argos oil filled radiators in the Kinky Shed which seems to do the trick. Since we've had the new windows fitted upstairs, despite opening windows and having vents we'd been having problems with mould and my clothes smelled horrible so we invested in a dehumidifier which has been absolutely brilliant - I can'[t believe the mount of water I was emptying out of it (which I used on the houseplants!) xxx

      Delete
  18. The blue dress is stunning. What a gorgeous shade of blue.
    And the dolls house is just fabulous! It puts ours to shame. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jules! I can't recall seeing your dolls house, I think we need a blog post! xxx

      Delete
  19. I adore your mum's curly lamb jacket and the door knobs are very pretty, the drawer makeover is fun too! I love it when the dolls houses come out :) Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks so much, Betty! I've always felt that coat was a bit too big (Mum was taller and larger than me) but looking at photos I'm quite happy with how it looks!
      I hated the idea of scrapping those drawers, Jon's earmarked one of the others along with the carcass of the dressing table to remake them into vinyl storage.
      I've neglected my dolls houses lately, I spent a joyous Saturday afternoon cleaning my other two! xxx

      Delete
  20. You look stunning in your midnight blue Monsoon frock! Well, you do look stunning in everything you wear.
    Loving the chest of drawers revamp and the used-to-be-a-drawer table is such a great idea!
    Charity shop karma is a thing indeed: what wonderful finds.
    Saga's house is absolutely amazing, what a lucky girl she is! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you're too kind, Ann! That dress is so easy to wear, it almost felt like I'd cheated when so many people complimented me on it when I wore it on Tuesday.
      I've not been this fired up about our house since lockdown forced us to stay at home. I'm looking at everything with fresh eyes and tweaking the layout, it's great fun! xxx

      Delete
  21. I remember Curtise always saying that if you want to find good stuff in the chazzers, you have to donate good stuff 🙂
    Your dolls house is fantastic. I have one that my Dad made in the loft. Mom made a lot of the fittings for it. It really needs some TLC, and you've inspired me to get on to it just as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.
    See you on Wednesday! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curtise was a wise woman, Annie! I'm excited about you having the doll's house your Dad made and your Mum fitted out, I need photos. You'll have to let me know if you're short of any furniture, I've got a few duplicates and some that the scale's not quite right for a Lundby.
      See you on Wednesday! xxx

      Delete
  22. What a wonderful repurpose of that old dresser! My nail polishes (strictly toes these days) are stored in a round box on my bedroom floor. I totally agree - I always find amazing things when I give stuff away. I am SWOONING over that Welsh coat! I passed up a Welsh cape yesterday - it was $125 (too high for me) and not interesting enough (boring colours, yawn).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aaaah, we should all live the Saga life! Wine *always* to hand...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix