Thursday 11 January 2024

Hippy Anniversary to Me!

I'd completely forgotten until today that the 6th January marked the 17th anniversary of the day my life changed forever. 

I was born with a shallow acetabulum (hip socket) and dysplasia of the left hip which went undetected throughout childhood. Despite regular trips to the doctor my constant pain and strange gait were dismissed either as growing pains or over-exercising and, in later years, because I wore "stupid" shoes. As I got older I was often embarrassed by strangers asking me why I was limping, offering me lifts, seats on public transport or help with carrying my shopping. It wasn't until I was 38, when I was working at a local chiropractic clinic, that I was finally X-rayed and it was discovered that my ball joint had slipped from the socket and worn away a large part of my pelvis. After being referred an orthopaedic surgeon, I was told that a total hip replacement was the only solution and I went on the waiting list at my local NHS hospital,Walsall Manor.

She's such an attractive girl, it's such a shame she can't walk properly - what strangers often said to my friends

For years I'd had to wear built-up shoes and orthopaedic insoles as there was a two inch difference in my leg length (which probably explains a long-time dread of flat footwear, which I've finally got over). My family and I never questioned why this was the case and no medical professional ever put two and two together. We just assumed I was "odd" and that was that.

Me (and my real hair colour) as a 28 year old high-flier posing for a trade magazine shoot in 1994

Despite my "disability" I never missed a day of work, often working nineteen hour shifts as a hospitality manager. I later found out I would have been entitled to full disability allowance as my range of movement was so limited. My constant pain probably explained my short temper, I was a horrible boss.


I was originally scheduled to have my operation at Walsall Manor Hospital on 12th August, 2005. I nervously spent the night in hospital only for the lady in the next bed, who'd had her op earlier that day, to suffer a fatal heart attack. The next morning, whilst I was with the anaesthetist, the surgeon dashed into my cubicle and ordered her to stop as the correct sized ball joint hadn't been ordered and my operation was cancelled. I was so relieved.

Stupid shoes? Moi?

As I mentioned before, despite always having very physical jobs, I never in my working life missed a day of work through my hip and worked my usual eight hour shift at the chiropractic clinic the day before the operation, scheduled for 6th January, 2006. When I went into hospital for the second time I decided against a general anaesthetic and opted instead for an epidural which would enable me stay awake throughout the procedure. Despite my pain I felt like a fraud being wheeled into theatre, a hip replacement sounded so dramatic and at my age (I'd turned 39 the previous month) was extremely rare. Whilst the surgeons were amputing my femur and drilling and hammering the prosthesis into place I could hear (over the piped-in pop music) them discussing how my hip was one of the worst they'd seen and I was strangely relieved that I wasn't wasting anyone's time. My X rays are still used at the teaching hospital to show medical students how bad a hip can get!

SOURCE

I was drinking coffee and chatting to the nurses within ten minutes of leaving the theatre. I was pain-free for the first time in my life and it was un-freaking-believable. When I saw myself in a mirror a couple of days later I swear I looked ten years younger. I insisted my legs were measured and squealed for joy when I was told that they were both the same length.

Walsall Manor Hospital

Recovery wasn't easy, I'd had to have a bone graft and multiple blood transfusions and was sick, depressed and miserable for months, strange as it might sound my pain had become a part of who I was and I didn't feel like me anymore. Because the damage to my hip was so severe I was told I'd probably need a walking stick for the rest of my life. I refused to listen to the experts, handed my stick back, enrolled in Pilates and Hydrotherapy classes and hounded the NHS for physio (not normally offered to hip replacement patients as the aim of the op is to reduce pain rather than make the recipient more mobile).



Seventeen years on and there's no stick and no limp, just that tell-tale scar that all of us hip-replacement recipients share. Mine was a state-of-the-art titanium Furlong Hip (not something generally available on the NHS but I was freakishly young and a "normal" replacement hip only lasts on average 10 years and even less for an active adult, meaning if I live until my mid-70s, I'd have needed it replacing at least 4 times). The Furlong hips have a minimum life expectancy of 20 - 25 years. 


I was told that due to my other hip having to bear the weight of both of them for over 39 years, my right side would need replacing within five years of my first hip op. Although the X-rays show that it's a bit knackered I'm pain-free and don't limp so I shan't be going under the knife again just yet (I had an emergency intravenous steroid injection in my right hip at the hospital in 2013 after overdoing it at Glastonbury). My consultant thinks I'm superhuman - I just put it down to maintaining a healthy weight and exercising at least five days a week.

Hippy anniversary to me and long live the NHS.

This is my song!!

67 comments:

  1. Hippy anniversary indeed!
    Here is to being 'A super Freak' and yes 'Titanium' is definitely your song 😁🦵🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kate! Now I've got Super Freak as an earworm! xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy Hippy Anniversary to your and your titanium friend. Superhuman sounds just about right ... accept the compliment. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take that compliment! Thank you so much, Sue! xxx

      Delete
  3. First of all - your mom was ROCKING that Beehive hairdo and your dad was quite dapper too. And because of kjsutcliffe above, I now have Super Freak song by Rick James singing in my head! Anyways...happy HIPPY anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dawn! My Mum had the tallest beehive in Walsall back in the 1960s, she said she could hide a 12" ruler inside it! I'm humming Super Freak as I type! xxx

      Delete
  4. Oops I am the anonymous above "rocking the beehive" - forgot to sign my name! Dawn P. Albany, GA USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is quite the story of your hip, Vix. A leg two inches shorter than the other would certainly mean quite a pronounced limp. His wonderful our NHS is, how lucky we are to have it. I do get fed up with all the criticisms of the NHS. It may be a bit clunky and slow but generally.is good. Maintaining a low weight and lots of exercise gas certainly helped you. Happy hippy day!

      Delete
    2. Hello Carole! During my pre-op research I discovered that Victorian women born with the same defect as me often had more suitors than the average lady as men claimed that the way they walked with the pronounced hip sway was more appealing!
      Once the problem was identified by my chiropractor boss the NHS were amazing and my hip was replaced within eight months of it being detected. I was so lucky to be offered a Furlong hip, too. I get really cross with it being constantly slagged off. xxx

      Delete
  5. What an inspiration you are! Hippy Anniversary! Long may it last! xxx
    P.S. Are those green shoes Vivienne Westwood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire! They're not Vivienne Westwood, they were a £5 dupe from Bilston market! xxx

      Delete
  6. What a Story, you are a strong Woman. Respect for that. Happy anniversary Vix! The green Shoes are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I used to wear mad shoes like that when I went back to the hospital for my annual check-up, the surgeon used to laugh at me. xxx

      Delete
  7. All the respect I already have for you is multiplied exponentially. Don’t know about superhuman - I think you’re feckin’ awesome.

    An extra sneaky rum & cola night to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks so much. I can't believe how quickly the time's flown since I had my new hip! xxx

      Delete
  8. Hippy anniversary to you Vix and you most certainly are super human (for sure for staying conscious during that op!) Here's to your determination and to the NHS! Louise (Mids) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard both the wonderful and the tragic replacement stories. My knee is gone- no cartilage, pain daily, but not m working on losing weight, building strength around it, and hope to push off drastic surgery longer. Your story is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Knee replacements, like hips, have a lifespan so it's better to try and leave it as long as possible before having the op as the younger & more active you are, the sooner you'll need another.
      Jon really struggles with both of his knees but the doctor is reluctant to put him on the waiting list because of his relatively young age (57!) He finds swimming beneficial and spending time in warmer countries helps, too. It's definitely a good idea to maintain a healthy weight and to keep up with the strengthening exercises, it's definitely helped me to keep my unoperated hip away from the surgeon's knife! xxx

      Delete
  10. I'm really glad to hear the complete hip story as I have always wanted to know. It's amazing you coped with it for so long and also amazing that you got the good one! I'm glad. Well done to you for maintaining it so well. Have you ever shared a detailed breakdown of your exercise regime? I'm interested to know.
    Hip-py Anniversary! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kezzie! Looking back, its utter madness that I put up with it for so long. When someone's got hip problems they have a very distinctive way of walking, in all those visits to the GP over the decades not once was I asked to walk, I could have been diagnosed in minutes. I can look at a complete stranger and know what their problem is!
      The state of the art hip is a wonderful thing and I was so fortunate to get one or I'd probably be on my second hip by now.
      I'm not sure if I've written a detailed breakdown of my exercise regime other than answer a few emails from people who read my blog. that's a good idea for a future post! xxx

      Delete
  11. People I know who got a hip replacement been happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know of anyone who'd had a hip replacement when I had mine, it's so rare in the under 40s! xxx

      Delete
  12. What an amazing story. Your determination is paying off. I'm sure that many could not maintain your regimen and would therefore consider the replacement a failure and not their own fault.
    We too are so grateful for our healthcare system (Canada). Someone dear to me is receiving the best treatment for an incurable cancer. My dear one works every day at staying fit and following regimens to prolong life.
    Well done, you! Wishing you a long and pain free life and many warm holidays.....to keep your sweetheart pain free too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rita and thank you for your kind words. I've heard how good the Canadian healthcare system is and am truly sorry to hear of your loved one's battle with cancer. By staying fit and trying to live a healthy lifestyle is so important in whatever stage of life or heath we're in, I wish them and you well. xxx

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias por sus amables palabras!

      Delete
  14. Thats a fantastic story. I think you were very brave to stay awake for a hip surgery that's for sure! just the noise of the drilling alone would terrify me! To know that a part of you is being used in a teaching hospital is weird but probably very satisfying :) My hip was 1/2 inch lower than the other due to a motorbike accident age 18 not diagnosed until my 50s by a chiropractor but no surgery required (so far). I always take note of what is on your feet in your pics, Lotta clogs, doctor martins, sensible but beautiful - my father used to say if you don't have comfortable feet you don't have a beautiful face (cos you grimmace!). Happy anniversary! Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I had a fear of waking up during the general anesthetic (too many thrillers!) so opted for the epidural thinking I'd be more in control, I also liked the sound of not having any post-op sickness. It was great having a cup of tea within minutes of being wheeled out of theatre and joking with the nurses (I was as high as a kite!)
      Chiropractors are brilliant, aren't they? Goodness knows what state I'd be in now if I'd not decided to work at the clinic after I quit hospitality.
      Our doctors used to recommend Clarks footwear to patients for being supportive and well designed, although they said anything with a heel higher than a matchbox wasn't ideal.
      I love your Dad's saying, painful feet really do show in your face! xxx

      Delete
  15. Hippy Anniversary, Vix! After reading your story, I am convinced that indeed you must be superhuman! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hats off to you mrs, an epidural for a hip replacement is amazing. An anniversary worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I can't believe I almost forgot the anniversary! xxx

      Delete
  17. It is a very inspiring story of overcoming, and you were very brave to decide to be awake during the operation, I have never gone through an operating room so I can't imagine how distressing it must be, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Rebecca. I'd never stayed overnight in a hospital before and was really scared, I thought that by electing to stay awake I had a bit more control. xxx

      Delete
  18. I'm pretty sure you now qualify as a Bionic Woman, Vix! Wow, what a harrowing tale of a Woman Not Being Listened To! I'm so glad you got on the list and that you got your hip replaced with that groovy titanium baby.

    Here's to many more years of being pain-free!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do wonder if I'd been born male I might have been taken a bit more seriously, don't you? Still, I'm bionic now and I tell Jon that he can't do away with me easily (he calls me the super annoying human), the cops will soon trace the barcode on my hip! xxx

      Delete
  19. Oh Vix - what a story! Sadly, being a woman-not-listened-to is all too common (particularly in the medical sphere) - even now. Like you, I thank my lucky stars for the NHS and an assertive attitude lol. I had a couple of RTAs and as a consequence now have a short leg, knackered knees and a screwed together ankle - ooooh la la! If you truly want to go for a higher heel I can recommend getting about with a walking stick, ahem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I does seem frustratingly common, doesn't it? My poor mum wrongly blamed herself for the rest of her life for not being more assertive with the doctor when I was a child.
      I'm sorry about your RTAs and shorter leg - I think that's why I've never bothered with trousers, by the time I had the same length legs I'd lived so long without wearing them I didn't need to bother.
      One of my vintage trader pals used to tell me that the best thing about her being in a wheelchair with MS was that she could wear f*ck me shoes with no risk of falling over! xxx

      Delete
    2. To be honest Vix, I'm just truly happy to have two legs! It's just awful when you need to be listened to - I once had galloping gallstones and a GP who tought I was being neurotic. Having a 4am call out with morphine wasn't as effective as going into the surgery and projectile vomitting. The pain was incredible and I was completely mortified by the experience. Having said that, the surgeon who did my keyhole was fab - we spent ages chatting when he did his ward rounds :)
      I love the 'best thing' story :)

      Delete
    3. Neurotic?! Some GPs seriously need to work on their bedside manner, don't they? xxx

      Delete
  20. It's easy to look back at the past sometimes through rose tinted glasses. Modern medicine and the positive impact it can have upon our lives is still a wonder to me. My grandmother told me that you would only seek medical assistance in emergencies because of the cost. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness me, yes! I think a new hip costs around £14,000 if you don't have it done on the NHS! xxx

      Delete
  21. Hip hip hooray for you and your hip. Our very own bionic woman. Long may you defy all the odds. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brava, Vic, for fighting for physio! I'm only slightly amazed that it's not standard NHS follow-up for a total hip replacement. But distinctions in treatment are not biased solely on gender here in the States. I worked a physically demanding federal job well past retirement age. When I suffered a lateral knee dislocation and landed in hospital, the staff kept "verifying" my date of birth. When I demanded of a doctor the significance of this query, he explained that most "women my age" were referred for a knee replacement, while "active women" (read "young") were sent to rehab to regain mobility. I went to rehab then, and again when the other knee dislocated as well, and worked several more years. * Keep up the fight for physio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth!I know, I couldn't believe it when I was told that physio wasn't normally offered to hip replacement patients and that the operation is more about pain relief than anything else. No wonder so many people who've had them consider themselves "disabled" rather than "enabled".
      Good on you for fighting for rehab rather than replacement! xxx

      Delete
  23. So pleased that eventually you were listened to and had a positive result. It must have been so awful for your Mum knowing something was wrong and not getting professionals to listen .
    You are indeed a strong woman in so many ways .
    I remember wearing those unsuitable but so wonderful shoes -mine were red and blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! It was a long time coming but I'll forever be grateful for my new hip! xxx

      Delete
  24. I admire your determination to live a wonderful life no matter how difficult it was - I think you maybe a modern day goddess Vix x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a wonderful post! So great to see your recovery and how you are still standing. Such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hippy Anniversary, Vix!
    Visit here from Indonesia.
    I follow your blog, please follow me back ^_^
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you and thanks, I'm following you! xxx

      Delete
  27. Eh up our bionic wonder woman! Such a fascinating post Vix. I was hooked from start to finish. What an inspiration you are. Hip happy anniversary & stay fit as a fiddle xXx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an anniversary! Congratulations. I find it difficult to believe that no action was taken when you were a child or a young adult. Lots of children I knew were born with dodgy hips and had to be in a 'frog plaster' for some time; I suppose it's all down to where you live etc. Anyway what a success story and I'm so glad you're pain free. What I find even more strange is you with (natural) blonde hair!! Happy hip anniversary and may it last for a bloody long time!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! Ironically enough there was actually a treatment for babies born with the same defect as me and it was called The Birmingham Hip. The midwife was obviously distracted when I was born and neglected to examine me properly. Oh well, it never stopped me doing anything, Liz reminded me that I was always the first up to dance at the school disco despite walking with a limp! xxx

      Delete
  29. Happy hippie anniversary!
    One of my legs is also shorter because of scoliosis. I have had a lot of medical issues in my life. I think it has actually made me stronger, mentally and in some ways also physically. I'm very fit for someone who is not in best of health. I'm always told I look younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sorry that you've got skeletal issues but I know you battle on and refuse to let anything defeat you. I'm not sure how a woman of my age should look,. some mornings I look in the mirror and am horrified! xxx

      Delete
  30. Happy Hip Day too you! Long may it go on supporting you through all you do. xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hippy Anniversary To You, Dear Vix!, I don't know if you're superhuman but a Totally Awesome Bionic Lady!
    It doesn't cease to amaze me how many women are undiagnosed of painful issues (that's a Big Theme!).
    So inspiring post!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Hippy Anniversary Vix! You are such a strong and beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix