Friday 10 November 2023

William, Edward, Nikki & Me - A Trip to Birmingham


After a couple of postponements, on Wednesday I finally met up with my friend Nikki in Birmingham. As usual, I caught the train over (a 22 minute ride from Walsall) and we met up at New Street Station giving Commonwealth mascot, Ozzy the Bull, a wave. He was moving when we arrived but, by the time I'd figured out the video function on my phone, he was stationery. I thought I'd managed to take a selfie of the two of us in front of him but when I checked back at home it hadn't worked. New tech and old people!




After a catch up over a pot of camomile tea in uber chic bakery, Medicine where - as usual - the hip waiting team were in raptures over our outfits, we headed up to Colmore Row doing our utmost to avoid the Frankfurt Xmas market. That's Antony Gormley's Iron Man, a 6 metre tall sculpture commemorating our region's industrial heritage.


Ho-ho-f*cking-NO!



Colmore Row is home to the city's cathedral, St Philip's. I've had to borrow this image as it's currently obscured with scaffolding. One of the oldest buildings in Birmingham city centre, it was consecrated in 1715. During WW2 it was bombed and gutted on the night of 7th November, 1940. 

SOURCE

St Philip's stained glass windows were designed by Birmingham-born Pre-Raphaelite artist Edward Byrne-Jones & created by his friend William Morris in his workshop between 1885 and 1897. Fortunately, the Birmingham Civic Society had removed them when WW2 broke out and they weren't damaged by the bomb. They were reinstated in 1948 after the cathedral was rebuilt.

Edward Burne-Jones and William Morris C.1860 (SOURCE)

Following a £900,000 restoration project, the windows, which were starting to show their age, have recently been restored to their former glory. You may remember us visiting Divine Beauty, an incredible immersive sound and light show, back in January with friends, Lynn and Brendan (HERE) shortly before the work started. 




The Ascension window depicts Jesus parting with his followers and ascending into heaven forty days after Easter. It was installed in 1885 and was intended to be the only stained-glass window in the Cathedral. Inspired by its beauty, Burne-Jones subsequently decided to design two more shortly afterwards.


The Nativity window was installed in 1887. 




Both The Nativity & The Crucifixion (1887) were paid for by wealthy Birmingham resident and cathedral congregation member , Emma Chadwick Villers-Wilkes in memory of her late brother.She requested that there should be no blood in the scene of Christ’s death.




The Last Judgement (1897), is widely recognised to be the finest example of Burne-Jones’ work, depicting the return of Christ and his judgement on humanity. The window was a memorial to the Bishop Bowlby of Coventry who was Rector of St Philip’s from 1875 to 1894.






After all that divine beauty we had a wander around the shops (Lush, Monsoon & Flying Tiger) before heading to the Indian Brewery for our Chaart Attack and IPA fix. On the way a limo passed flanked by police outriders and I spotted Princess Anne in the back seat, I'm not sure what she was doing in Birmingham, maybe she'd popped over for Gluhwein and sausages at the market. 


Isn't Nikki's vintage wool dress fabulous? It's got a Harrods label, darlings! 



After perusing the rails in Urban Outfitters (we like to see what the cool kids will be wearing this season) we couldn't resist a mirror selfie before catching our respective trains home.


Thanks for a fab day, bab and lots of birthday love for Saturday, see you soon!


Wednesday's outfit was a last minute choice, I'd planned on wearing a velvet dress & my Afghan coat but it wasn't as cold as I'd expected it to be - the skirt is actually a dress, part of a embroidered cotton Hmong Thai hill tribe suit I'd scored the other day for £8, which I'd worn with an eBayed early '70s Anokhi blouse (Jane Seymour's wearing a virtually identical one in yellow in 1973 HERE), ancient leather cowboy boots and a vintage felted wool charity shop hat.

Afghan earrings from eBay, Ruskin Arts & Crafts brooch and an antique Hindu deity belt buckle (Xmas present from Liz & Al in 2017).


On the way down to the baths on Thursday morning we were treated to a glorious rainbow before the heavens opened and we were left looking like drowned rats. I wore one of my vintage Afghan dresses (bought from a fellow Judy's trader back in 2019), a Monsoon fedora (retail buy using a discount voucher the company sent for my birthday last year) and some elderly charity shopped Clarks boots.


A pendant I made by combining an old Banjara dowry necklace with a vintage Kuchi enameled charm (mixing my tribes). The .925 silver Rajasthani earrings were bought from Beautiful Days last year.


I paid for my charity stall when I was at Spoons before tucking into my new favourite breakfast of pico de gallo, avocado, poached eggs and rocket on a toasted muffin.


After chucking our swimming gear in the washer back at home, we popped over to our favourite Black Country town for a speed charity shop (the only window of shopping opportunity for us this week).


Here's this week's finds: 1980s velour & bejewelled batwing leisure top by Apollo Sports; James Lakeland - new with tags - reversible suede/leather jacket (originally retailed at £395); 1960s plush hat (I've since removed the felt flowers!); Japanese Haori jacket; a pair of 1950s framed hand-painted watercolour silhouettes signed by Christine Silver, an English artist who was a renowned expert in period costume (1883 - 1960); 1970s *Gigi, loomed in England* wool bomber jacket; 1980s St Michael Victorian-style pintuck blouse; Steve Madden *Bryana* leather pirate boots; 1980s Next shawl collar blouse; 1970s chiffon maxi dress with matching duster coat.


Most of today (Friday) has been spent tackling the vast amount of leaves both in the garden and along the avenue (I'd hate for an elderly neighbour to slip and fall). Jon managed to snap the yard brush so we battled on with a rake and a broom. We had a very welcome diversion in the form of a flying visit from Liz & Al and when Jon nipped out to get the works van MOT'd, William took over in a supervisory capacity. 


Apparently it was the coldest start to a day since the end of April but after a couple of hours of sweeping I was toasty warm.


Vintage Indian cotton dress & Urban Outfitters gilet (both eBay), Celtic & Co. boots, now in their third year and a cable knit hat (retail buy, 2021). I was wearing gardening gloves from the much missed Wilko but took them off prior to the photo. 


Last week Age UK had a basketful of these Dreamies (aka cat crack) penguin treat dispensers. Jon didn't think William would be interested but at 99p I was willing to take a punt and look, he loves it!



We've got no plans for the weekend other than homemade pizza, rum and watching the final instalment of Cambridge Spies which we started last night. I've no idea how we missed this the first time round (2003) as its right up our street. Look how young Tom Hollander, Sam West, Rupert Penry-Jones & Toby Stephens are!


Have a good one whatever you're up to and see you on the other side. 

38 comments:

  1. Rupert Penry-Jones! Ooh err, missus! Loved him in Whitechapel and Silk.
    I must.make time to go into town to see the stained glass.
    Oh, and thanks for the tip about Vinted. I've already bought two dresses! 😀 Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's me! Forgot to change the setting! Xc

      Delete
    2. Hi Annie! Don't forget Spooks (although Matthew MacFadyen was a hard act to follow!)
      The windows are looking so vibrant and beautiful with all those years of crime removed. Such a lovely spot of tranquility amid the madness of the market.
      Vinted is seriously addictive! xxx

      Delete
  2. Those windows are truly amazing, and your outfits are equally beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab day you had. Loving all the stained glass and I don't blame you for avoiding the Christmas market...way too commercial! Nikki's dress is beautiful and her hair's as long as yours!
    I always love seeing that vintage Monsoon dress and I'm drooling over your gorgeous jewellery collection.
    Those Steve Madden boots are so cool, but they look too tiny for my size 6 feet. :-(
    William is certainly desperate to get his paws on those Dreamies! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Liz is doing a shift there this week, I don't envy her! I've always loved Nikki's hair, I never thought my hair would grow as long as hers.
      Monsoon made/still make some gorgeous things, it's one of those rare high street shops you can actually get excited about visiting.
      Those amazing Steve Madden boots are a weeny 4 , it's not fair. They reminded me of the Vivienne Westwood pirate boots. xxx

      Delete
  4. Xmas markets are giving me the heebie-jeebies, so I can't blame you for doing your utmost to avoid it.
    Loving the Edward Byrne-Jones stained glass windows at St. Philip's. What a relief they were removed in the nick of time and reinstated after the cathedral was rebuilt.
    Both Nikki's and your outfits are absolutely fabulous. No wonder they were gushed over by the Medicine personnel.
    Thursday's outfit is a stunner too, and I love how Friday's cable knit hat matches your outfit.
    The amount of leaves in our garden makes me break out in a sweat from even looking at them. I do hope it stops raining for long enough soon so that we can deal with them. I'm glad to see that William is taking his job as supervisor seriously! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xmas markets are bad enough in December never mind nearly November. The smell of sausages is worse than the jostling crowds.
      The stained glass windows are so beautiful especially now they've 140 years of industrial grime removed.
      With no rain forecast I really had to grab the opportunity to crack on with the leaf gathering and it wasn't that bad once we got started although Jon did manage to break the yard brush within minutes, its very trying trying to sweep with a small broom! Thank goodness William kept an eye on us! xxx

      Delete
  5. How beautiful are the windows, the colors are stunning. Especially the the ascension window. Birmingham is a great Place to visit. Love the Mirror Selfie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those window are amazing, Andrea. The colours are so vibrant! We can't resist a mirror selfie! xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh my, that photo of Edward Burne-Jones and William Morris - it is begging for some speech bubbles lol. The windows are absolutely ravishing.

    Lots of folks out Christmas shopping today; chazzers full of sparkly frocks and nasty acrylic Christmas jumpers (yes, I do know that's the point). Every shop seems to be gearing up with crap for Black Friday. When did we turn into this?

    I've just got over trick or treat and all the black and orange plastic. Spent the morning after Halloween cleaning up the mess left by whoever thought it would be great fun to play football with/smash-up pumpkin lanterns on the road where my Mum lives. At least she was spared the egg-throwers. Well done, feckwits!

    So many beautiful outfits and lovely William is all business with his new treat device! Please do not mention Vinted again - so far I have resisted the temptation to look!! I am overwhelmed by my wardrobe already lol

    Elaine Again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine. I love that photo of William and Edward. The windows are amazing, apparently William Morris had etched Morris and Co on each window, supposedly the earliest form of product placement known.
      Even the chazzas are putting out rails of Xmas jumpers, thank goodness smoking's banned in shops, I wouldn't fancy a naked flame near all that acrylic & metallic fibre! I know, Black Friday, utter madness. Let's all rush out and buy a massive telly or a three piece suite in fashionable grey....not!
      Good for you cleaning up your Mum's road after the yoofs have had their fun. Ours have had pitched battles with the police this week, the police helicopter was over our house for 30 minutes on Wednesday night, I was starting to think I'd got a starring role in the remake of Apocalypse Now.
      Look at Vinted at your peril! xxx

      Delete
    2. One of my favourite 'art couples' - Emilie Flogue and Gustave Klimt in a rowing boat - they seem to be endlessly taking the piss in every photo featuring them together. What a woman!
      https://arthive.com/publications/2756~Love_story_in_paintings_Gustav_Klimt_and_Emilie_Flge

      Delete
    3. Wow! I'm in love with Emilie Flöge and I think I need a Reform Dress! That photo of them in the boat is wonderful. xxx

      Delete
  7. That 70s dress and duster jacket is so gorgeous! Wish I was near one of your selling events 😭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fab? It's like something Margot would have worn in The Good Life! x

      Delete
  8. https:\\www.elderberry-rob.blogspot.comSaturday, November 11, 2023

    Excited to see your Afghan earrings, I found a pair recently in a Brighton Chazza with brown stones, stashed for a future holiday :) Birmingham looks fun, you both have fabulous outfits. I like stained glass, would love to learn to make some. Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Afghan jewellery, looking forward to seeing your new earrings - I hope that holiday isn't too far away!
      Birmingham's such a great place to visit but probably best avoided when the Xmas market is on! xxx

      Delete

      Delete
  9. Ah, what a lovely time you had in Brum with Nikki! Those stained glass windows are beautiful! Such tiny details and the colours are sublime!
    I NEED to try a Chaat attack!!!! It looks so delicious.
    Both of your outfits are so bright and colourful and not surprised it prompted delight from those that saw you!
    You did well on the Charity shop items- I love the duster coat and matching dress.
    Those Steve Madden boots are a dead ringer for Clara's H by Hudson boots she wears for The Woman Who waited on Doctor Who. If you list them on eBay, you could mention this and you never know, a Clara fan may bite the bait!
    I am not a huge fan of Christmas markets mainly due to crowds. I really don't like being in big crowds outside!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stained glass is wonderful, isn't it? Those angels are so beautiful, I love a Pre-Raphaelite lady with her strong jawline and flowing locks!
      Chaart Attack is the best - their Fat Nans are amazing too and Jon loves their Masala Fish & Chips. There's so many great places to eat in Birmingham but owner Marnie is so lovely we just keep going back.
      I wonder if I can find a photo online of those boots and mention the look-a-likeyness to Clara. I shall investigate. Thanks for the tip!
      The crowds at the Frankfurt market are immense, if we need to walk though we have to hold hands to avoid being separated. I'm okay with crowds its the stink of the processed meat I hate! xxx

      Delete
  10. The two of you were both dressed to kill. Love your unique bu equally fabulous outfits. It seems like you had a fantastic time with Nikki as well.
    That's one beautiful cathedral. I love the stained glass windows. Real works of art!
    Fab cat photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! Lots of strangers stopped us to say how colourful we looked and how it was lovely to see women not dressed from head to toe in black or grey - sadly the colour of choice in the UK! xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh dear I'm meeting some friends in Birmingham at the end of the month just to do the Christmas market, I'll have to give you my verdict. I like the little one they have in Oxford because it's all local craft makers I'm not sure what to expect from a big city one! I'm not at all surprised your outfits were getting so much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my friends absolutely love the Frankfurt Xmas Market, G! They go every year and eat their bodyweight in sausages and guzzle gluhwein. You know me and Xmas, I'm just a grinch! Let me know how you get on and do pop into the cathedral and have a look at the stained glass its only round the corner from the Floozie in the Jacuzzi (the central bit of the market!) xxx

      Delete
  12. I love going along with you on girlfriends' days, Vix! I feel like I'm there! Love your outfit and Nikki's all-golden look is fabulous. William seems born to be a supervisor, lol. Vizzini also got Dreamies (they are too high in protein for him now, unfortunately) in puzzle ball - he absolutely adored it. It's good exercise for their little brains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were able to join us Sheila, what fun we'd have! William is such a strict supervisor, we're a bit scared to disobey him, he really shouts if we don't do what he wants. He actually launched himself at my leg this morning for daring to weigh him on the Wii Fit. Little devil! Poor Vizzini not being able to have Dreamies but you've got to keep your beautiful boy healthy. xxx

      Delete
  13. Love Ozzy the bull. It's a fantastic piece of sculpture. I have a massive fondness for Brum, having been a student there many years ago. Back in the days before polytechnics started calling themselves universities, and when students from working class backgrounds could receive full grants! Glad you and your mate enjoyed a great day out, and you both love fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad they saved Ozzy, Valerie. He's a sight to behold and looks brilliant in New Street Station. Those were the days, eh? Do you ever go back and visit Birmingham? Quite a lot of my friends went to Leeds Uni and I spent many happy weekends in Headingley (or at least I think they were happy, it was all a bit hazy)! xxx

      Delete
  14. I am so glad we do not have the good old Xmas markets here in Japan . I think it would be lost on us. It was a Harry Potter overload which I don’t of course mind last year. I just like seeing twinkly trees as I am like a 5 year old.
    And we don’t get Xmas tat In the shops at August like you do In the UK. I groan when I see that when I come home why Britain why!! Mum said there was a house decorated in on the 1st of October!! I know what I would do with that house!! Box of matches and a gallon of petrol anyone???
    No nesting has began. Nursery has well don’t ask, I can’t make my mind up! I can’t see my feet and I crave peanut putter so it might be a peanut!! Love and hugs allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky to escape the Xmas madness, Allie! We drove past a house with a tree in the window a three weeks ago, it was bloody October! What the ???? I don't celebrate my birthday two months before the actual date never mind that of some imaginary bloke.
      Like you I'm all for a bit of twinkliness, my fairy lights are up all year round.
      Nesting? How exciting. Keep me posted! xxx

      Delete
  15. I don't know if I'm just getting old, but it feels like they roll out Christmas earlier and earlier each year. I've not been into the centre of York recently, so I'm not sure if the St. Nicholas market is up there yet, although if it isn't, it soon will be. I do love a Christmas market, but I love it nearer to Christmas, not bang in the middle of Autumn. That said, I did make my Christmas wreath at the weekend, so maybe I should just shut up :) I love all of your outfits, and I am always drooling over the food you have at the Indian Brewery. Looks like you had a splendid time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it, I walked into Spoons this morning and it was full on tinsel and bloody Father Xmas. Honestly, it's enough to put me off my small vegetarian breakfast!
      You'll have to look out for our mates Redleb Jewellery, they trade at the York Xmas market and live in Scarborough, Simon's handcrafted Yorkshire silver jewellery is stunning!
      I bet the wreath making was a lovely relaxing way to spend a few hours, I loved making some twig pentangles a couple of years ago. xxx

      Delete
  16. Lovely day out and those stained glass windows were beautiful. One day I'll get to visit them; I'll have to drag my sister-in-law into town...

    Fabulous outfits, Vix, and I loved Nikki's Harrods dress, too. I loved your Hmong Thai's tribal dress in particular. What a fabulous find! Amazing finds as usual from your charity shop trawl.

    William looks delighted with his 'Dreamies'! You should have stocked up...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must pop in and see those windows, Vronni. Hopefully the Museum and Art Gallery will have reopened by then and you an swoon over Birmingham's incredible collection of Pre-Raphaelite Art as well as the Staffordshire Hoard.
      Nikki and I like very similar things and have both been collecting vintage clothes for years, one day we'll end up dressed in the same outfit.
      William's such a greedy boy, he's worked out how to grasp that penguin with his paw, tip it upside down and guzzle the lot. I'm amazed he's still only 5lbs! xxx

      Delete
  17. The detail on those windows is stunning. Your outfits are gorgeous as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh isn't that cat crack dispenser hilarious! Than you for showing us those beautiful stained glass windows. Funny you should mention Princess Anne, as I was reading her blog t' other day & she said whilst limo-ing around Brum, she spotted two dandily dressed ladies, almost stopped for some fabulous tips, but then headed down to Urban Outfitters for their new 'Horses do Courses' range xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix