Sunday 15 January 2023

Divine Beauty - A Pre-Raphaelite Trip

 


Hello! Ready for a bit of culture? This time it's a return to the UK's Second City, Birmingham, just nine miles up the road from Walsall.


On Saturday afternoon we caught the train to Birmingham's New Street Station to meet up with our friends, Lynn & Brendan.


Our first stop was Bacchus, a gloriously opulent subterranean bar with Byronesque vibes, tucked away beneath the Burlington Hotel on New Street.


After some liquid refreshment we walked up to Damascena on Temple Row, the Middle-Eastern eatery I'd visited with Nikki on a previous trip to Brum.


I ordered a Damascena Fuul whilst Jon went for a Chicken Shawarma Arabya sharing generous bowls of tabula and fattuush with Brendan and Lynn (menu HERE).


Remembering how busy it was on my last visit we booked a table and were able to bypass the queue of hungry shoppers.


Directly opposite Damascena is St Philip's Cathedral inside where, as a birthday treat, Brendan and Lynn had booked us tickets for Divine Light, an immersive sound and light show bringing to life the church's astonishing stained glass windows, designed by the Birmingham-born Pre-Raphaelite artist Edward Burne-Jones and created by his friend, William Morris in his workshop, between 1885 and 1897.

Edward Burne-Jones and William Morris C.1860 (SOURCE)


One of the oldest buildings in Birmingham city centre, St Philip's Cathedral was consecrated in 1715. During WW2 it was bombed and gutted on the night of 7th November, 1940. Fortunately, the Birmingham Civic Society had removed the windows earlier in the war and they were reinstated in 1948 after the cathedral was restored.


Unfortunately, after 130 years, the condition of these four remarkable windows is deteriorating. The effect of years of pollution on the outside and changing humidity on the inside, means that careful restoration is now required with a National Lottery Heritage funded conservation project set to commence in Spring 2023. You can keep up to date with the work HERE. (Thanks for the link, Lynn!)
Held over just two nights, Divine Beauty was a sell-out show but Lord Jon managed to capture some of the show on camera....if you've ever wanted to be trapped inside a Pre-Raphaelite kaleidoscope, click on the arrows and enjoy the trip.


More of the show below....



















It was so beautiful we stayed and watched it twice.


Emotionally overwrought by all that Pre-Raphaelite beauty a drink was in order so we crossed the road and entered the Great Western Arcade, a marvellously opulent Victorian shopping arcade, built by the Great Western Railway Company between 1876 - 1877 to span a tunnel for the railway line between Birmingham's Moor Street and Snow Hill stations.  I must have walked through it a thousand times in my years of working in the city centre but it was the first time I'd ever had an alcoholic drink inside it.


The Good Intent, run by Craddock's Breweries is the UK's first Not For Profit pub. The prices are brilliant and the setting is gorgeous.


Oh dear, a bit blurry! Lynn had only had one blackberry gin, I blame my camera! 





Not only a not for profit bar but customers are welcome to bring their own food in - it almost makes me wish I was still working in Birmingham!


Leaving Lynn and Brendan to catch the Metro home , we headed back to New Street Station and boarded a very empty train back to Walsall. The wobble is down to that pesky camera again, not me after a pint of San Miguel...honest! 


Thanks for a fabulous afternoon, Lynn & Brendan, we loved it.

Watch this space, there's another cultural outing coming up very soon!

47 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful wander! I've never heard of a nonprofit pub but I'd be there. We love our local brewery to be able to bring food in, or order deliver from local restaurants. I smile at the blurry pics - that's me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't a non-profit pub a great idea ? There's a couple of pubs that offer the bring your own food option, you can even have a curry or pizza delivered! Maybe start campaigning for one near you?! xxx

      Delete
  2. Well I don't believe it! I'm watching Flog It and it's from your museum and art gallery in Birmingham and they did a section on William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones and I immediately wondered whether you'd seen their work at the gallery and here you are talking about them!!I hope they bring the light exhibition to Scotland. Looks amazing.You look very 'Jane Morris ' in your beautiful green dress!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! I was wondering what to watch before Keith and the Throwdown starts at 7.45! I shall get on to it. Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is closed at the mo, I'm champing at the bit to get back. Here's a post from a few years back you might like: https://vintagevixon.blogspot.com/2017/07/a-thing-of-beauty-is-joy-forever.html
      IAs soon as I saw that dress I knew I had to have it, it's very Aesthetic Movement isn't it? I'll have to wear it in daylight this week and get a less blurry photo (snow permitting!) xxx

      Delete
  3. Super fabulous and must have been amazing to be in the middle of it, all the atmosphere.
    Thanks for sharing. I love your glorious green velvet dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it incredible? I'd have stayed for a third showing but I was beginning to lose the feeling in my neck! There were a few people lying on the floor, I was tempted to join them! xxx

      Delete
  4. How spellbindingly beautiful, no wonder that you stayed and watched it twice. I absolutely loved being trapped inside a Pre-Raphaelite kaleidoscope, and can imagine it being quite the experience in real life.
    Blurry or not, you are looking suitably Pre-Raphaelite reclining in your green velvet gown!
    Loving the sound of that Not For Profit pub! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, Ann! Those beautiful windows brought to life - shamefully, I'd walked past the cathedral twice a day for over a decade and last night was the first time I'd ever set foot in it!
      I hoped that William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones would have approved of my green velvet gown, its very Aesthetic Movement, isn't it? xxx

      Delete
  5. How absolutely ravishing are the Divine Beauty projections? Thank you so much for sharing! I'm reading 'How We Might Live: At Home with Jane and William Morris' by Suzanne Fagence Cooper - can recommend it (it makes a nice change to read about Jane Morris as a woman - not a caricature). Lovey review here https://fannycornforth.blogspot.com/2022/06/review-how-we-might-live-at-home-with.html

    Is your beautiful green dress a Dilli?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd appreciate the post, Elaine! The book sounds amazing, I've added it to the ever-growing wishlist.
      It's Kharibu. As soon as I got the new stock alert I HAD to buy it and blow the cost! I might ask to be buried in it! xxx

      Delete
  6. How cool! Can totally see why you'd stay through it twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much to see, I could have done with a third showing but my neck was starting to ache! x

      Delete
  7. Lovely pictures - and a great day
    Like you I love the not for profit pub
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Siobhan! Isn't a Not For Profit pub brilliant idea? Most of the clientele were our age, too so a very well-behaved bunch, too! xxx

      Delete
  8. Can't wait for more culture. Living in small town, we don't have much culture. I'm working and others to bring some culture to our community.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for trying to bring more culture to your community, Dora. Even if it's displaying local art in an empty store, it brings joy to all! xxx

      Delete
  9. So envious of you public transit! That show looks awesome and a similar concept to the Van Gogh show touring the US (which we went through 2x too). What a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're really lucky when it comes to public transport, it's cheap and frequent! The Van Gogh show was scheduled here shortly before the first Covid shutdown so we couldn't go. It looked amazing, I'm glad you managed to see it - twice! xxx

      Delete
  10. That looks stunning, what a lovely day out! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Hazel! It was amazing! x

      Delete
  11. Divine Light looks utterly mesmerising! Your watering hole choices also look very impressive...and is that the new Kharibu dress I spy? I'm so glad you opted for that moss green colour. Gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, so strange to be enveloped by Burne-Jones! I thought that dress would be very apt even though it was hidden under my Afghan - the black one looked fab but it had to be green! xxx

      Delete
  12. What a lovely birthday treat and an unusual way of bringing to life those beautiful stained glass windows. The restuarant looked good too - I could have eaten all of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fabulous experience, being enveloped by that beauty! The food at Damascena is gorgeous, beautifully presented and with loads of veggie options! xxx

      Delete
  13. Those windows are absolutely gorgeous. I hope their restoration will be a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they incredible? I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. xxx

      Delete
  14. Wow, what a wonderful exhibition. My church is full of pre-raphelite art too, with a lot of involvement from William Morris. I always think how amazing it is that such beautiful art by such well known names is often just there in churches and civic buildings. We're very lucky to have that I think. Your green dress looks amazing, even with the wobble, and that pub looks great too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! It sounds like you need to do a blog post on your church, I'd love to see it! xxx

      Delete
  15. Wow, that green dress is amazing on you, and what lovely and very atmospheric photos ... even the blurry ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How utterly fabulous was that light and sound show! And even better with friends. The stained glass windows were amazing. I used to follow a blog by Jane Brockett (can't remember the name of the blog) who sought out unusual stained glass windows and blogged about them. It was fascinating but she doesn't blog anymore just sends out a weekly newsletter type thing.

    Your green velvet dress was very pre-Raphaelite and you look gorgeous in it.

    A not for profit bar? F**k me. I've just picked myself up from the floor! That has got to be a first!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! Something else to add to your list next time you're in our neck of the woods, a peep at those windows! I shall see if I can find Jane's blog, isn't it sad when bloggers just stop writing?
      I know, a not for profit bar is like a dream come true especially one where you can take your own food in, I'm not surprised it was busy! xxx

      Delete
  17. PS - Forgot to say how brilliant the new phone is!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Edward Burne-Jones from my time as a wide eyed art student what a fab exhibit. I shall file that pub away for my next visit to Birmingham at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing. You'll have to pop by the cathedral if you do visit the good Intent and have a look at those stained glass windows! xxx

      Delete
  19. You look stunning and very Art Nouveau in your green velvet frock, Vix! Art overwhelms me emotionally too - I'm not sure how well I would handle the immersion of images/light/colours. We have those sort of things here as well, and they haven't appealed to me, but the church and stained glass windows are certainly marvelous. What a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sheila! The exhibition reduced Lynn to tears and I wasn't far behind. xxx

      Delete
  20. How wonderful to have enjoyed this spectacle , I'd have watched it twice too, you become totally immersed in the whole thing . At least I did when I saw Van Gogh and Monet and friends.
    You certainly look the part in that utterly gorgeous in that velvet dress , its a glorious shade of green. I have never heard of a not for profit pub but it sounds a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill! I never got to see the Van Gogh experience, bloody Covid! It was wonderful being enveloped by Burne-Jones!
      That dress seemed very appropriate, William Morris would have approved that it was handmade! xxx

      Delete
  21. How spectacular that looks! And your dress is fabulous. Thoses sleeves!
    I haven't been to The Good Intent yet, but we did go to an excellent Not For Profit pub in Bath a few years back. A great idea. And Bacchus is always glorious.
    I'm really disappointed the Museum and Art Gallery is going to be closed for so long, especially after lockdown. :( xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, it's a shame it was only one for two nights. I bet the windows are going to look even more beautiful after the restoration work, I can hardly wait.
      I thought I'd struggle to get those sleeves into my coat but fortunately not.
      The Good Intent is lovely, a mostly older crowd, too - always a good thing.
      I wish the Art Gallery would hurry up and reopen, I'm missing those Pre-Raphaelite stunners! xxx

      Delete
  22. It's all so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, such a magnificent trip!, totally my kind of things, from Lebanese-Syrian food to being 'trapped inside a Pre-raphaelite kaleidoscope' (so fantastic, I'd probably stayed too to watch it again and again until having some Stendhal syndrome!) and obviously, having a pint at a so beautiful bar!. Perfect!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my neck hadn't started to ache I'd probably still be there now! It was such a trippy experience! xxx

      Delete
  24. Oh wow, what a stunning looking show! You are looking very Pre-Raphaelite yourself Vix. I don't know how I am so behind on blog reading. Apologies for the barrage of comments! xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix