Friday 13 January 2023

My Ordinary Life - Mid-Century Cats, A Disco Telephone, An Outback Thriller & A Secret Peacock


Hola, chicas! Hope all's well with you. Here's what I've been up to since I last posted.


Tuesday kicked off with a trip to Lidl where we snaffled a £1.50 Waste Not box.Inside were a bag of tangerines, six pears, two apples, a bunch of spring onions, a dozen white onions, a couple of carrots and a punnet of button mushrooms. The fruit was/will be eaten with Lidl's Greek yoghurt for breakfast, some of the mushrooms and onions went in a curry and some roasted in a veg & Haloumi bake and the carrots, spring onions and the rest of the sweetheart cabbage from last week's box were combined with mayonnaise and stuffed into pitta bread with a a thinly sliced vegeburger.


I was excited to spot this green lurex jumper in the clearance charity shop on Sunday, a girl can never have too many polo necks! It makes a refreshing change from my trusty black Heatgen one I usually wear with this 1960s suede mini. The vintage Elgee tweed coat, a hand-me-down from one of the Lizzes, was a staple during lockdown. Lord Jon reckons I look like Basil Rathbone in it, he's such a charmer.


We popped over to our favourite Black Country town for a spot of charity shopping.


And came back with a pair of Original Penguin desert boots, a John Smedley merino wool jumper, a 1980s mohair hand knit cardi, a Burberry, London 70% silk fine knit top, a couple of Adidas track tops, a wool blend waistcoat (with the tags still attached) and a 1960s Pierre Sangan wool and suede-trimmed cardi, all of which I managed to photograph before the heavens opened.


Wednesday was a stay-at-home day, wrapping the eBay sales, photographing and listing stock. I wore a second-hand Dilli Grey Indian cotton midi dress layered with a navy M&S Heatgen polo and a vintage '70s Janet Wood for Monsoon quilted Afghan waistcoat.    


After lunch I did some crochet and finished my Le Carre novel and attempted to tempt this handsome boy in with some treats.He's an intact male, doesn't wear a collar and is a regular visitor in the garden. Due to the thickness of his coat I've named him William Woolberforce, in honour of the heroic 19th century politician.


I'd forgotten to share these super funky orange pinched glass Mid-Century tumblers we snaffled for 50p last week, they made our Wednesday night rum taste even better (if that's possible). I was beyond excited to see that BBC4 was screening the new series of the Australian Outback cop thriller, Mystery Road. With stunning cinematography, a gripping storyline, sublime performances and cowboy chic galore, we watched the entire series over two nights.


It was a solo swim for me on Thursday after Jon got struck down by the lurgy. In just under an hour I'd walked the mile into town, stopping via at the accountants to drop off some paperwork, swum 40 lengths, did 40 poolside pull-ups, had a shower and walked home. I love living so close to the town centre! 


Secondhand from head to toe, I wore a Zara embroidered cotton midi dress along with a vintage fringed suede waistcoat, 1970s Indian silk screen printed scarf, Timberland boots and Proper Topper Shropshire-made wool fedora.I did have a suede jacket over the top but walked home with it slung over my arm, I'm always boiling hot after a swim.


Back at home Jon had thankfully rallied. Despite the mild and dry start, by lunchtime it was lashing it down so I spent the rest of the day crocheting before making a dent in my latest read, a dystopian vision of humanoid robots set in an alternative 1980s Britain. Like every other McEwan novel I've ever read, it's superb.


With a cultural visit with friends planned for Saturday, I fancied a trip to the cinema on Friday but, having watched the Swedish version last week, I wasn't in the mood for A Man Called Otto and none of the other films appealed (a dead pop star biopic, a American lynching or big budget animation) so it was a morning of charity shopping instead.


A few decent bits for the stockroom - a 1980s Italian deadstock gents jumper; Brazilian cowboy boots; 1990s leather blazer; A recycled polyester cardi (with tags attached); 1980s Empire Stores (remember them?) cotton midi dress; A vintage moleskin waistcoat; a vintage turban; Clarks brogue boots; A 1980s sequin embellished purple lambswool batwing jumper; A 1980s Laura Ashley 100% Scottish wool jumper and an East lambswool & angora cropped teal cardi.


Here's the keepers.....Jones the Bootmaker blue suede ankle boots, a River Island felt fedora, a pair of  Noa Noa silver leather clogs, a Signature merino wool fine knit and a cute woven fringed top which reminds me of a Huipil.


We fell in love with this turquoise Mid-century ceramic moneybox by Jema, Holland, isn't she pretty?


She's settling in well with the 1950s Luciano, Salerno vase bought for 99p before Xmas and the Bitossi cat my parents bought back from their 1966 honeymoon in Sicily.


I don't need it and I don't really like it but I'm having it anyway, Jon told the young woman behind the counter in Sense. I must admit that since he's plugged it in, this ridiculous neon-lit 1980s Bush telephone is growing on me. I love that it flashes when it rings (yes, we do still have a landline). How cool, it shares its name with one of my favourite bloggers - Sheila


Friday's outfit got lots of love from my fellow charity shoppers (aren't people lovely?). The Dilli Grey skirt and Monsoon fedora are retail buys, the blouse, boots, belt and jacket are secondhand. Sadly the back of my vintage suede jacket gets hidden by my hair so I call him my Secret Peacock.


Have a fab weekend! See you soon.

53 comments:

  1. That blue kitty is very cute, I'm glad you found a home for him. You really are a fast crochetter, I am trying to decide what my next project will be, but in my defence I'm still finishing off a knitting project too. I look forward to hearing about your culture filled weekend, intriguing. Have a great one Vix xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. The new cat needed to come home with us and seems to have settled in well! Those tank tops are really quick to make up and a great way to use up odds and ends of wool. Knitting is so complicated, I take my hat off to you for managing both! I'm excited about tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to take photos, I'm rubbish when a drink's involved! xxx

      Delete
  2. I am loving the 'Hidden Peacock' outfit from top to toe🖤🦚

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool phone. I've never seen anything quite like that one. And that suede mini! There's a vintage consignment shop in my hood carrying lots and lots of bar wear, but orange pinched glassware is a new one to me. What a great color and makes a vodka cocktail look so much more appetizing at 3pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a crazy looking thing, isn't it? I'm not sure what's the coolest, the actual phone or the box it came in! I am a bit of a sucker for vintage glasses. I usually try and avoid them but those orange ones are nice and big! xxx

      Delete
  4. Two of our 4 cats are black and I have had 3 other black cats, besides these 2, in my lifetime. There is something different and special about black cats and often the decision as to how much attention they will allow you to give, is totally up to them. We have adopted the ones we have because a lot of people do not want to adopt black cats for many ridiculous reasons, one of them being too difficult to photograph. So not true. We have many photos to argue the point. Then there's the whole superstitious nonsense. Makes me crazy. I hope this "little" fella makes his home with you, if he is, in fact, looking for one. Love the peacock related outfit, but then I pretty much love all of your various combinations and envy how nice they look on you. Ranee (USA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ranee! Thanks you for your kind words! I love black cats, I had a beautiful boy for twenty years, Albert! I can't understand why they're overlooked in rescue centres, you're right, they are very special with distinctive personalities. I'd love to see your gang of four! I shall persevere with treats and if I ever manage to get close I shall print off one of those paper collars, write our contact details on it and, if he's owned we'll leave well alone! xxx

      Delete
  5. Thats a nice little cat, hope he gets to be yours and that you can then get his nuts chopped :) to save more homeless kitties populating the planet. I like your cat ornaments, especially the one your parents bought. Those Noa Noa shoes are rather lovely although I couldn't walk in them. Have a lovely weekend, Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty! William Woolberforce's a bit like your Mollie, isn't he? I'm hoping he's from the cat colony and I'm not trying to steal someone's pet! I can't resist a Mid-Century ceramic especially when they're cat shaped! Those clogs are surprisingly comfy, I'd normally avoid heels like that but at £2 I couldn't say no! xxx

      Delete
  6. Hello!
    Well done on going swimming without Jon (hope he's ok). The Lidl box looks super. Still haven't made it across the road from school to see if they have any. Didn't even manage today!
    Your chazzer finds are great. The Clarks brogues and the Jones ones are right up my street.
    Basil Rathbone is a style inspiration so don't blame him! I still wish I'd bought that deerstalker hat of yours I tried that time I met you!
    William Woolberforce is bonny! I hope that you manage to persuade him to stay and that he has no fixed abode at the moment.
    Look forward to seeing what your weekend plans are!
    Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! It was really quiet at the baths on Thursday morning and I knew the handful of people there, it's really hard not to get sucked into chatting and not swimming but I managed it!
      There seems to be a wealth of riches when it comes to gents footwear in our local chazzas, Jon bought another two pairs of Clarks' boots last week which I never got round to snapping. He's a lucky boy!
      I haven't found a deerstalker in ages, if I do I'll let you know! xxx

      Delete
  7. We still have a landline, too. But it's not as cool as that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Vix, I do love your outfit photo plinth! Too much coolness to select one except for maybe the Dilli Grey dress ... did you view the Thursday Sale on Instagram? You'd have been spoilt for choice as a lot of it was sample size garments - some lovely frocks.

    William looks quite curious - he's a lovely boy. I love black cats, we had a little runt-of-the-litter girl some years back - we got her the first week we were married, aww.
    Blue Cat is v. fancy.

    The original Mystery Road TV went to 2 series and then there was a film I believe. We saw the original TV series 1 and 2 - cracking! I do hate it when they change the cover and you don't know where you are.

    That phone is excellent, if a bit like a giant gas ring lol

    Secret peacocks for all! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine! I spied some of my spring bulbs peeping out when I posed on my platform this week, let's hope next week's forecast snow doesn't finish them off.
      I tuned into the Dilli Grey sale on Thursday night in eager anticipation but there was only one dress in my size and I had something very similar so I was a good girl. Weren't there some beauties?
      Black cats are very special, I can't understand why they aren't as popular as other cats.
      Yes, there were two series of Mystery Road and Goldstone, which was the film. Sofia Helin (Saga from The Bridge made a surprise appearance in the second series, much to Jon's delight!)
      A giant gas ring - you're not wrong there! xxx

      Delete
  9. Beautiful cat(s) the visitor and the new and old inside editions. I find your finds in the shops remarkable. The fact that you can live a wonderful life off income produced by your shopping and resell through Kinky Shed is unfathomable to me. You go! Stuff if dreams, buy I know hard work too. I guess we have a sort of kand line, connected to home only but through cell phone. It never is used. I love that phone though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Considering we live in a "deprived" area it's amazing what our charity shops turn up. I suppose being dragged around chazzas, flea markets and jumble sales since I was in the pram gave me the eye - take me into a normal retail environment with racks of the same thing and I'm absolutely useless!
      I love a landline even if most of the calls are of the nuisance variety, there's always the anticipation of an exciting invite when it rings! xxx

      Delete
  10. What a great deal those boxes are! It's nice they don't put spoiled or overripe stuff in there. I used to sign up for a box from a local farm and got fed up that they seemed to use what was left after they took the good stuff for their other efforts and in the end the quality just was not there.

    You eat smart and dress smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! Those boxes are supposed to be filled with produce past its best but its rare we ever have to throw anything away. I think we might be lucky with our Lidl as several readers say the boxes at theirs are disappointing. xxx

      Delete
  11. I love the phone, so retro. Jon has good taste, we only have mobiles as we were not using our landline.
    We are going to the movies tomorrow, but I just want to fall asleep in their big seats when I get in .
    The cats are very cool my twin sister would approve of your choices some of hers are really creepy one has eyes that follow you!!!
    Love and hugs Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allie! The box takes me back to the opening graphics of Top of the Pops when I was still at school, it's a wonder without the retro phone inside it!
      I try and be discerning when it comes to ceramics but Jema was too trippy to miss.
      I love a trip to the cinema, I've not been in ages. Enjoy your outing and try not to doze off! xxx

      Delete
  12. Even before I read the words I knew Jon would be keeping those wonderful Clarks brogue boots, hope he is fully recovered from his lurgy.
    Lovely to have so many cats in this post 😻. Mr Woolberforce is a splendid looking chap, and your two ceramic pieces are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jayne! Good to hear from you. Jon's lurgy was very short-lived (thank goodness!), he deserved a new-old pair of boots to cheer him up.
      There's never enough cats in my life, my Facebook feed is full of little else. I hope Mr Woolberforce doesn't leave it too long before his next visit! xxx

      Delete
  13. I love that your new phone is called Sheila 😃

    You've got some lovely, and very colour coordinated new stock there. I used to find that happened to me a lot when I was buying and selling. I'd get back to the shop and realise that I could make a whole window display out of what I'd just bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue! I often remark to Jon about how each day's finds seem to be colour co-ordinated and how the colours often match what we happen be to wearing that day. Maybe our brains subconsciously hone in?
      I wonder if the designer at Bush's girlfriend was called Sheila? xxx

      Delete
  14. I really like your porcelan turquise moneybox cat!
    I agree that a girl cannot have too many polonecks. That green one looks fab with a suede mini. You rocked that look! I always love ypur maxi and mini outfits but tbis mini look is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivana! I love the colour of the new cat.
      I do love polo neck, much easier than messing with a scarf! xxx

      Delete
  15. Basil Rathbone indeed! You look lovely!
    Liking the disco phone and of course, that beautiful turquoise cat.
    Hope Jon's feeling better. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Birthday Girl! It's so unusual for Jon, fortunately it was short lived and he was able to face a massive plate of roast veg and Haloumi for tea later! xxx

      Delete
  16. I do think fancy glasses make such a difference to a drink. Mark bought me a pair of vintage Avon champagne glasses for Christmas and I had to buy a bottle of Prosecco to break them in 🙂
    I love the Zara dress. I agree about dresses, I wear some of my summer ones year round with a long sleeve top and leggings underneath.
    Didn't know Mystery Road was back. That's my next watch sorted. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Avon Champagne glasses, how retro cool! You're right, a decent glass makes all the difference!
      It seemed a shame to save that Zara dress for summer. Sometimes I feel the need to embrace a bit of Winter White in my wardrobe especially when the weather's been so damned gloomy.
      Young Jay Swan is just as magnificent as the older version - enjoy! xxx

      Delete
  17. So many things to love here! That green Lurex jumper would have landed in my basket as well, and how adorable is the mid-century ceramic cat/money box. She is indeed looking quite a home displayed with the 1950s vase and your parents' honeymoon souvenir. And how wonderful that you have another real-life cat visiting you. William Woolberforce is a brilliant name for him! Those funky orange tumblers are fabulous too!
    And speaking of fabulous, don't you look a treat in all of your outfits as usual, my favourite this time being the Dilli Grey skirt with the secret peacock jacket.
    Sorry to hear Jon's got the lurgy, I do hope he's feeling better. xxx P.S. Started my first Philippa Gregory book today, and I was hooked from the first paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ann! I thought you might have approved of the lurex polo neck! Gema, the new ceramic cat, seems to have settled down nicely, unlike mr Woolberforce who ignored his treats yesterday and dug up a border to use as a toilet, cheeky boy!
      Jon's lurgy was very short-lived, thank goodness.
      I'm so pleased to hear that you're enjoying your Phillipa Gregory book. If I come across any before June I promise to save them for you! xxx

      Delete
  18. I think I remember similar checked outerwear of your Elgee tweed coat during the 1970's x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Vix, I love your blog! Thanks for the great writing and pics, all so interesting. I read from south eastern Australia but have never watched Mystery Road. Now my afternoon relaxation is sorted after a day of gardening, too hot to continue any longer. Thanks!
    Cheers, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michelle! Lovely to hear from you. How funny that you've not watched Mystery Road. Let me know what you think! xxxx

      Delete
    2. Hi again! Mystery Road was wonderful, but the antithesis of relaxing!

      Delete
    3. Hello again, Michelle! It's very tense, isn't it? I'm glad you enjoyed it! The scenery is beautiful! x

      Delete
  20. I never heard waste not food box
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you haven't, Dora, I bang on about them most weeks! xxx

      Delete
  21. I have the very same felt fedora! Suddenly I feel just a little bit stylish :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am loving Mystery Road and am being disciplined and NOT binge watching, but I wish I could binge watch 'Happy Valley'! Loved all your outfits and agree one can never have too many polo necks; I snap them up when I see them and want them in all colours. I only need a pink one now...

    Lovely finds in the chazzas and the mid century cat is so cute. I also loved William Woolberforce; he looks like a big lad. Is he just a greedy cat with owners or do you think he's a stray/feral cat?

    Hope Jon has made a full recovery.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are disciplined, Vronni! Mystery Road is one of our favourites and there's no way I'd have the patience to wait a week between episodes. Young Jay Swan is a dead ringer for Raphael Nadal, isn't he?
      I'm saving Happy Valley until I can watch it all in one go, it's been torture to miss it!
      I'm not sure about Mr Woolberforce, he could be from the colony in the old windmill, he's not neutered which makes me think he might be...watch this space! xxx

      Delete
  23. We still have a landline too but nowhere near as funky a phone. I'm waiting to see how things pan out with your handsome cat visitor. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he hangs around, he does look rather well fed though! xxx

      Delete
  24. YOU HAVE A SHEILA PHONE!! I nearly squee'd out loud when I saw that (you're a dear, thank you for the shout-out, Vix). Welcome to the "We Have Funky Landline Phones" club!

    Your wee Willie Woolie is a cute kitty! I hope you can tempt him in for a cuddle. I love all of your outfits (hooray for secret peacocks!), and those orange glasses are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited when I saw it was a Sheila phone, what a brilliant name it is, too! xxx

      Delete
  25. Looking fab in your suede mini skirt and cool tweed coat, you rock it!. And I love your Dilli Grey dress (love all of them!) and the Zara&suede ensemble, hippietastic style!, and that hidden peacock is a favourite of mine!.
    That new phone is so amazing (totally understand Jon's comment!) and so lovely it's a Sheila phone!. And we still have a landline!, our phone was rescued from landfill (I have a weakness for old electronic devices).
    You're rocking those crochet tops!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aha, it is I, Beth Waltz, back from a year of ailments, eager to catch up on the adventures of Vix and Jon -- and Mr. William Woolberforce. I've missed the travelogues highlighting the hidden corners and vignettes you spot. I've missed the treasure hunts. (How can one not need a neon telephone. How very practical, really.) And most of all, I've missed your joyful wearing of vintage clothing: it's an art form of which you are a master. *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, you've been in my thoughts a lot, I'm delighted to see your comment and hope you're back on the way to wellness. There's lots of adventures, clothes and cat stories to catch up on. Loads of love, Vix xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix