Monday 12 June 2023

Catching-Up

Forgive me dear readers for I have sinned, it's been seven days since my last post but, in my defence, I have managed to price and iron over a thousand items in our travelling vintage shop and made minor repairs to anything we missed the first time round. The van's been scrubbed,our bedding and cooking gear is safely packed away and, thunderstorms permitting, Jon's double-checking the awning in the next day or so. This week will be spent ensuring we have enough healthy food (and booze!) to sustain us over seven days. 

Whilst we've mainly been busy preparing for Glasto that's not to say we've not found time for other pursuits. All work and no play makes for a very dull blog post. There's been a trip to the cinema to rewatch The Royal Tenenbaums as part of Walsall Light's Wes Anderson season and a night out with Liz & Adrian.


The Black Country Arms for beers and Gurka Bhojan for a Nepali feast.


We've finally watched Bank of Dave, caught up with the Secrets of the National Trust and just started on Scotland's Home of the Year. Reading-wise, it's all been very historical this week. I've visited Thomas Cromwell's England with Hilary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies, fast forwarded to the Great Fire of 1666 in Andrew Taylor's The Ashes of London and I'm now back with the Tudors with Philippa Gregory's tale of Mary Queen of Scots in The Other Queen.

And, of course, there's been shopping....

Last Monday Liz & I popped over to a recent shopping rediscovery, the One Stop at Perry Barr, a twenty minute ride on the 51 bus which stops a five minute walk away from our front door. Liz found some fabulous leather flatforms in the Clarks Outlet and the M&S Outlet was absolutely stuffed with bargains (I bought an Autograph bra, a snakeskin workout top and five pairs of cotton rich socks for £10). We struck gold in the chazzas, too. In addition to a pile of vintage gems, I snaffled a current Moschino tee shirt which retails HERE at £220, a top worn by one of the dancers at the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games and a splendidly over-the-top sequined coat to enhance my festival wardrobe. After lunch at Spoons (where else?) we caught the bus home where upon alighting, discovered a pile of stuff left outside the electronic gates of one of our uber rich neighbours for passers-by to help themselves to. Of course I had to claim the biggest thing - a plush lined wooden cat house - which we took turns in carrying back to Stonecroft.


Because my heads all over the place at the moment I didn't think to take photos of our day out but this is what I wore - in fact I've worn the same outfit five days in the last fortnight. I blinkin' love this Pink City Prints prairie dress.


I found a massive length of vintage Acetate-type fabric in the clearance chazza marked up at £2. Using my trusty 1971 Style dressmaking pattern I knocked up this skirt in a couple of hours. I might wear it with my 1960s lace-up suede waistcoat and my demonic rams horn headpiece at Glasto next week.  Talking of sewing, there's a contestant from Walsall in this year's Great British Sewing Bee, Lauren, and I've just discovered that she lives in the next street! She's not the first contestant from Walsall - we're a creative lot round here!


On Tuesday and Thursday we went for our regular, early morning half-mile swim - we need to be superfit for those twelve hour (and often longer) working days. I spotted this Speedo swimsuit in the clearance charity shop with the £28 tags still attached. At first glance I thought the appallingly 1980s colours were awful but at £3 it would have been foolish to leave it behind and once on I absolutely loved it. The label says that its suitable for "competitive swimming"and I swear it's making me swim even faster than usual (or it could be that I'm just keen to get my lengths in before heading to Spoons for breakfast!)

Secondhand finds have been phenomenal of late, you name it, we've found it. Anything from festival staples like Converse leather hi-tops, Levi's cut-offs and Doc Martens to 1970s denim, 1980s jumpsuits, flamboyant maxis, 1950s tea dresses & Tootal dressing gowns. It's not just the Kinky Melon rails that are groaning under the weight of it all, my wardrobe seems to be growing at an alarming rate, too. The woven Greek shorts alone retail at £90 (the total for everything came to less than 50% of that price!) I'm definitely sorted for my next beach holiday.


Greek high-end label Devotion Twins shorts, Michael Kors leather trainers & Zara cotton suntop (lovin' those tassels!)


M.A.B.E. Indian cotton embroidered sundress, Monsoon woven sun top and River Island rose gold studded belt.


An Indian cotton embroidered tunic and embroidered cotton bag (both by the now defunct Star Mela) plus two pairs of Lucy & Yak organic cotton dungarees. I found the blue & pink pair and Jay, one of my fellow Sunday morning charity shopping pals, spotted the black ones.


With the temperatures finally hitting 30°C I couldn't be happier and most afternoons you'll find me in a bikini, slathered in Hawaiian Tropic with a mountain of clothes, a box of recycled price tags and a Sharpie singing along to 6Music. And at long last I've been able to leave the house in flimsy cotton dresses, gypsy skirts and crop tops with my beloved Lotta of Stockholm clogs and my ever-growing stash of oversized sunglasses. I was born for the Summer! 

Charity shopped cotton suntop worn with a block printed Pink City Prints wraparound maxi (courtesy of eBay)

I have to laugh at anyone out and about huffing and puffing and complaining of the heat whilst dressed from head to toe in synthetics, skintight jeans, leggings or nylon sportswear. Dress appropriately, people! 
 
Embroidered Greek crinkle cotton midi dress (bought back from Rhodes last year) and eBayed Lotta clogs

East block printed skirt worn with charity shopped cotton top and orange secondhand Lottas





Monsoon artisan range hand-embroidered cotton maxi dress with seven year old Lottas and a charity shopped bag

I ignored Monty and didn't bother cutting back my Clematis Montana after it had flowered last Summer and it's looking better than ever. The Yukka on my right was rescued from out of a bin at Glastonbury last year, he's called Bruce in honour of The Boss's surprise appearance with Macca on the Pyramid stage.


Jon's happy, too. After a delay of three years he's finally had steroid injections in his knees. He was so desperate he was seriously contemplating paying to have them done. He's not had to take painkillers for almost a fortnight - three cheers for the NHS! 


You've probably noticed that this fella is still calling Stonecroft home. He's bewitched everyone who's met him so far with his flirtatious ways. Forget Birmingham's Floozie in the Jacuzzi, he's Highgate's Slut in the Hut.



I'm off to catch up with everything I've missed in Blogland and reply to your comments. I've got an exciting day out planned for Thursday, I'll be back soon to report on who I've met and where we've been. 

50 comments:

  1. Ruddy Blogger - won't let me sign in.

    £220 for a T shirt? Two Hundred and Twenty Quid?? FFS - what sort of world is this? But your Speedo cossie is trés flattering and well done for snaffling all the other stock.

    Both Jon and your dear Hut Slut look fairly pleased with life at present.
    Enjoy the heat my dear, like you I am loving it and have no patience for those who dress in ridiculous synthetics and complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Jayne! I know, £220 - it's not like it's a fabulous dress that will stop traffic, it's a blinking tee shirt. I can think of better things to fritter my money away on, can't you?
      I cannot tell you how much I love this weather. I want it to last forever! xxx

      Delete
  2. Yay, a post at last! have been missing your chatter. Brave Jon having steroid jabs in both knees - I bet it was very painful but worth it (I had one in my hand in January and am scheduled for in the same hand and also my hip in a couple of months if physio and other solutions don't work - am dreading it!) You have some very pretty new outfits there and chazza finds. Like the skirt you made, nice bold pattern, will look good with autumn stuff too. Your cat looks shiny, he's obv getting good food. Mollie has been bringing me things (mice, slow worm) and coming back covered in dust and dirt as has finally ventured into the woods behind the house (only took her 3 years to venture beyond our fence, she's scared of everything, even the wind!). Not long until Glastonbury, hope you have plenty of hats for Kinky - they will sell well in this heat :) Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept telling myself that I could blog as a reward for getting the shop sorted. Hopefully I should be able to squeeze another in before we go!
      I had steroid injection in my hip a few years ago after ruining it at Glastonbury (the surgeon said I was the coolest patient he'd ever seen!) Jon's doctor has a n operating theatre at his surgery which is brilliant. I find hospital procedures really intimidating. I'm keeping everything crossed that you're be pain free soon.
      Aren't cats strange? I thought they were supposed to be curious but there's still places in the house William hasn't venture in yet. Mollie's little gifts are so sweet, she really loves you! xxx

      Delete
  3. Knees, what the Hell? 14 days until a get a total replacement, yeah! I feel your pain,Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You'll be a new woman very soon. My hip replacement changed my life! xxx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was quite the walk carrying that cat house but William seems to have approved. So happy the shots have helped Jon's knees. All your clothing pix are great. Hugs. reposted as spell check got a correctly spelt word all catty wampus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marjorie. Jon's steroid jabs have worked wonders. Liz and I needed them after hauling that cat house up the hill home! xxx

      Delete
  6. I always think of you when it's hot like this. Some great purchases there but I can't get over the price of that t-shirt... Anyway have a fab time at Glastonbury!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's insane, isn't it? I don't know whether to sell it or frame it!
      Everytime I see that Glastonbury advert on the BBC I get goosebumps. Glasto and the heat & sunshine of this week would be a dream come true! xxx

      Delete
  7. William is such a cutie - Jon carries him the same way Logan carries Vizzini (men and their cats, right?). Wow, love your amazing scores - I've seen that Moschino tee at the local consignment for over $100. I scoff at the synthetic wearers! Silly people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Logan and Jon sure do love their boys!
      I can think of a million better things to squander £220 than a tee shirt, its sad in a way that people feel the need to have a massive logo emblazoned across their chest to feel good about life. xxx

      Delete
  8. I was in a posh local seaside Oxfam last week. They had a very nice Massimo Dutti suede jacket for £100! Similar price tags on anything with a designer label. Charity's not what it used to be. You got a grand haul at your sources.Hope the cat realises the efforts you go to for him?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! Some of the Oxfam's prices are laughable - no wonder we don't have one around here! I've just been on the MD website, I didn't realise their stuff was so expensive, I see it in chazzas a lot round here and always assumed it was similar to Zara!
      You know cats, the more you give, the more they want. William got me up at 5am this morning, polished off two sachets of food and has now gone back to bed! xxx

      Delete
  9. Whoop whoop to the best time of year for you two. Bloody hard work but I can sense your excitement from here. You’ve got some lovely summer frocks missus. We’ve been out and about a lot lately and I can’t help noticing how badly and boringly folk dress. The new cozzy was a great find.
    We are off on the steam train again this week. It’s a murder mystery event titled ‘Strictly Come Dying’. Heehee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lynn! Strictly Come Dying made me laugh, what fun. You and Philip do love your trains - not that I blame you, they're fab. I even enjoy the 20 minute ride into Birmingham New Street.
      You're right about how foolk dress. I often feel like taking people by the arm, dragging them into a charity shop and handing over something for them to try on. Maybe I could pitch it as an idea for a TV series? xxx

      Delete
  10. I love how you apologise for not posting in 7 days, my gaps sometimes go for 10 or more days! How exciting getting ready for Glasto, hopefully the sun will be out in full force for that. You did well with the Moschino tee, and the Michael Kors trainers too. I've had a pair I bought from the outlet near York about 5 years ago, and they are still going strong so they are pretty good quality. I have a couple of his bags too and they are pretty robust! You look fabulous in all of your outfits, but I especially love the white embroidered Greek dress, it's so pretty. You definitely should try out one of those pods, they really are cosy and a nice way to be out camping without all the faff of putting your own tent up. I'm hoping to go glamping again towards the end of summer as little Miss loves it, the problem is the prices in the summer holidays are a bit ridiculous! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I love the discipline of blogging, I feel like the world's fraying at the edges if I don't post a couple of times a week!
      Those Michael Kors trainers are so comfy. There's a couple of scratches to the leather which I expect was the reason for the previous owner donating them, not that it bothers me, it makes me feel a lot less precious about wearing them!
      I'd love stay in one of those pods. I bet the cost during the school holidays is eye-watering. xxx

      Delete
  11. I think it's probably the thought of a Wetherspoons breakfast, rather than the aerodynamic properties of the swimsuit that improved your performance. ;-)

    I'm glad lord Jon managed to get his steroid injections, he's got such cute little knees they shouldn't be hurting him! I'm your complete opposite, I hate Summer and it's heat with a vengeance, you can find me indoors after 8am hiding from the sun with the curtains closed and all the windows open. Although last night's thunderstorm was magnificent to behold ... and I don't have to water any plants today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Sue! Once I visualise that smashed avocado muffin and mug of coffee I can outswim Adam Peaty.
      Jon's a new man with his pain-free knees. His energy is boundless. I love it!
      I do love a thunderstorm - as long as the sunshine & heat come back the next day. xxx

      Delete
  12. Loving your summer outfits. Your chazza purchases are fabulous, our chazzas are full of complete tat and overpriced to boot. I think I live in the wrong part of the country!
    Glad that Jon finally got his steroid injections, shame that he had to wait and suffer for so long. Your cat is super cute! How lovely that he has found a home, hate to think of animals suffering or humans come to that. Lauren is great on Sewing Bee, but then they all seem like very nice people. It's my favourite show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carole. I seem to find all the treasure in the plus sized section as anything remotely flowy and voluminous ends up there even if the label reads XS! Considering we're seen as an area of deprivation, it beggars belief how much some of the stuff originally cost. Those trainers were £165!
      I love Sewing Bee, everyone's so lovely! Can't wait for 9pm! xxx

      Delete
  13. I meant to add that I read a fabulous biography of Sonia, princess and suffragette by Anita Anand. Such an interesting woman and history of India too. I got it from our local library, it's very well worth ordering. She was the daughter of Duleep Singh btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off to find that book on Abebooks, thanks so much! My reading pile is getting seriously depleted of late. xxx

      Delete
  14. Wow what a successful outing that was with Liz!
    I love all of your finds (the sequined jacket and embroidered sundress are fabulous).
    Glad Jon's knees are less painful; this weather must be helping too.
    I bet you can't wait for Glasto! Hoping the weather holds for you.
    See you on Thursday! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm amazed I was able to carry it all home - plus a cat house!
      I'm excited about the sequinned jacket, I was beginning to worry that the one I always take to festivals will wear out and I'd have nothing glittery to wear.
      See you very soon! xxx

      Delete
  15. Wonderful finds, wonderful weather! Good luck with Glastonbury. I know you two love it! I cannot be in crowds any more which can be a bit of a pain but . . . It's absolutely gorgeous here today, it hasn't been as we've had cloud and sea mist but today is real summer! Delighted about Jon's knees as the injections don't always work. Just came in for a bite and heading back out to lounge. Done some of my garden chores so feel I've earned the reward! I am having a Spoons' breakfast tomorrow with friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catmac! i hope you're enjoying your Spoons breakfast! My current favourite is the smashed avocado muffin with a poached egg, it's delicious!
      I'm glad you've been treated to a cloudless sky. I was getting quite annoyed when the BBC kept banging on about the endless sunshine fortnight ago when it was cold and drizzly here!
      Jon's been a bit grumpy with those troublesome knees, he's back to his normal self now, whizzing around and getting jobs done. xxx

      Delete
  16. I hope you have an amazing time at Glastonbury
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Siobhan. You're often in my thoughts. xxx

      Delete
    2. That’s kind of you to think of me. I am feeling pretty desperate at the moment - I cannot stand that Tony isn’t here with me
      S x

      Delete
    3. I'm so sorry, Siobhan. I hope your friends and family are rallying around and helping to fill that void that Tony has left in your life. xxx

      Delete
  17. You were most definitely made for summer! Loving the outfits and what amazing finds. Love the swim suit and the dungarees in particular. Cannot believe the price of the t shirt; 220.00? Has the world gone mad? The weather has been fabulous and a chance to crack out the cottons and linens...

    Loving the slut hut and how glossy is Wiliam's coat?

    I do so admire all your Kinky Melon prep for the festival season; the thought of ironing over 1000 items would give me the heebie jeebies! But what a difference it makes to the clothes. I wished we steamed our donated items at our Barnardo's but there just isn't time or space with the volume of donations we receive.

    So pleased for Jon's steroid injections and glad to hear he didn't need to go private after all.

    Hope you have an amazing time at Glastonbury and get a chance to enjoy it as well.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! I was made for hot weather. I get so excited I'm usually up and out in the garden before 5am. I hate wasting time indoors when the sun is shining.
      That tee shirt price is insane. I see that it's made in Italy so hopefully whoever made it would have received a decent wage but its still mad. I've flown to india for less than that!
      William's coat is so glossy, he's a good looking beast considering he's been a stray for years.
      I don't mind ironing although I do wonder why i do this to myself, it'll all be creased up by the time it's travelled down to Glastonbury in the back of the van! xxx

      Delete
  18. I KNOW WHO YOU ARE MEETING ON THURSDAY!!!!😁 AND I'M JEALOUS!!!
    OOOH, you did so well in the chazzers!!! Well done! I LOVE the Lucy and Yak blue dungarees!!! Gorgeous!!! If you ever choose to day goodbye to that East turquoise skirt, do let me know!
    The slut in the hut is such a bonny boy!
    Thank God for Jon 's knee treatment!!! Kxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited, it's been years since we last saw each other!
      I was thrilled to find those Lucy & Yak dungarees, they'll be great for throwing on to go swimming or for setting up the festival stall if it's not sunny enough for shorts.
      That East skirt is less than half price on the website, go on, treat yourself, I know you'd look amazing in it! xxx

      Delete
  19. I hope Jon does ok with the steroid injections. Be aware tho that they don't last that long. Mine lasted about 8 weeks. But any time without pain is just great. Should see him through your festivals. Have a good time at Glasto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caz. He's had them before and they did last a few months so yes, if they see him through the marathon that is festival season he'll be happy. xxx

      Delete
  20. Hi Vix, you've certainly had a lot of incredible finds!! Hope Jon's knees will be feeling much better now, there's nothing worse than chronic pain. Absolutely love the photo taken outside the door, lovely Monsoon dress and spectacular plants!! What a coincidence with Hilary Mantel, today a friend phoned me from the English book shop in Barcelona to see if I wanted anything. I said "Wolf Hall" and he's ended up buying the whole trilogy! Hope I'm going to enjoy them! . Have a wonderful time at Glastonbury, hope you get some nice weather, sell loads of stuff and get to meet some interesting people as well as enjoying the bands!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! This sunshine has been a long time coming and its wonderful to see it coaxing out my geraniums and nasturtiums and bringing lots of colour to the garden.
      Wolf Hall is an absolute joy, it's taken me years to read Bring Up the Bodies as it didn't want it to disappoint but Hilary Mantel's writing (RIP) was as mesmerising as ever. I've got The Mirror & The Light awaiting me on the bookshelf!
      I'm so excited for Glastonbury! xxx

      Delete
  21. 'Slut in the Hut!' I love it :)
    Some amazing finds of late. I love dressing for this hot weather, and it astounds me how many people are still wearing jeans or synthetic fabrics.
    I'm glad to read Jon has felt a huge improvement since his injection. Long may his pain free existence continue. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon says I'll give him a complex!
      It beggars belief the number of people I keep seeing in sweaty synthetics in this glorious weather. There was a man in a charity shop earlier this week moaning about how much he hated being too hot , he was wearing a leather jacket and a woollen hat., There's no hope! xxx

      Delete
  22. So good to see William is such a happy chap. We met a gorgeous cat called Pepper who lives at Croome Court. Her owners left without taking her with them and she's been adopted by the NT volunteers. She's very well looked after! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William's won over so many people, he's such a happy little lad. Pepper's gorgeous, Jon managed to pick her up and give her a cuddle last time we visited Croome! xxx

      Delete
  23. Very beautiful pictures from United Kingdom in your post. Great and Joyfuls.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I laughed at your opening line, Vix. I only ever blog once a week and I'm thrilled that I do that haha. Loved catching up through your post and I adore your last three outfits. Gorgeous! X

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look fanatic in that Speedo one- piece swimsuit. I remember wanting to buy Speedo swimsuits when I was younger and did swimming practice regularly, but they were always so pricey. The colours on that one are gorgeous and at 3 pounds it's quite a catch. Great that you liked the colours once it was on. It's really a beautiful swimsuit!

    The flirty cat is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix