Saturday 17 June 2023

Attingham Park with the Princess & the Peach

On Thursday, following a four year Covid-induced hiatus, we finally met up with Belgium's finest, the lovely Ann (aka Polyester Princess) & husband Jos. Our long-time friends, Claire (Winter Peach) and her husband Gareth, who we met whilst festival trading,came along, too.


As Ann & Jos were staying in Shropshire we met up at the glorious Attingham Park, the National Trust's fourth most visited property. I'm sure Attingham will be familiar to many regular readers, Jon and I visit often, you might remember us spending the day with Ann & Jos here back in 2018 HERE.


A forty-minute drive from home, Attingham Park was built in 1785 for Noel Hill, 1st Baron Berwick who received his title a year earlier during the premiership of William Pitt the Younger, in recognition for being instrumental in the reorganisation of the East India Company. The Whig MP for Shrewsbury, Lord Berwick already owned a house on the site of Attingham Park called Tern Hall, but with the money he received along with his title he commissioned the architect George Steuart to design a new and grander house to be built around the original hall. Work on Attingham was completed in 1785. 


In 1789, the 1st Lord Berwick died, and was succeeded by his son, Thomas, 2nd Baron Berwick. A collector and patron of the arts,Thomas commissioned improvements to the house and extensions of the estate including, in 1805, commissioning John Nash to add the picture gallery using cast iron and curved glass to give the effect of coving, throwing light into the gallery pictured above. 


In 1827, the 2nd Lord Berwick reached financial ruin and was forced to hold bankruptcy auctions to pay off his debts with his brother William purchasing most of the furniture. Thomas leased out Attingham Park and escaped to Italy where he remained for the rest of his life. 


After Thomas's death his brother William, the 3rd Baron Berwick inherited the estate. A diplomat,William was posted in Italy for 28 years and won the admiration of Lord Byron who said of him, 'the only one of the diplomatists whom I ever knew who really is Excellent’. His collection of Italian art and furniture was inherited by his son Richard, the 5th Baron Berwick upon his death in 1848 and shipped to Attingham. The estate remained in the Noel-Hill family until 1947 when it was behested to the National Trust.



Although all six of us are regular visitors to Attingham, none of us were aware of Edwin Dearborn Cohen, a wealthy American stockbroker & passionate collector of all things Georgian. On his retirement in 1986 he approached the National Trust persuading them to lease him the late Lady Berwick's former apartment on the upper floors where he lived out his Georgian gentleman's fantasy until his death in 2020. Since April the National Trust have been running tours of his apartments which proved to be fascinating. As the six of us are passionate collectors of the old and the quirky, Ed's love of auctions and hunting down bargains resonated. Tagged as The Hidden Home Tour, photography isn't allowed so if you want to see this Georgian treasure trove for yourself you'll have to visit in person (an additional £3 per person, maximum of 8 per tour). 


It's the first time the public have been able to visit Attingham's upper floors and witness Ed's views across Humphry Repton's magnificently designed gardens for themselves. 


After lunch in the on-site cafe we spent the remainder of the day exploring the woodlands, walled gardens and kitchen gardens, with plenty of stops for shade.



The walled gardens were - as always - beautiful. 


I'd love to be disciplined enough to have colour themed planting but - like with anything, I have no restraint and want all the colours.  





We love how the National Trust are leaving swatches of their gardens wild with unmown lawns and native wildflower borders. None of us are fans of stripey lawns or formal planting.












These mirror artworks are the work of environmental artist Rob Mulholland created for and on loan to Attingham Park for the summer. Exploring the complex relationship between humans and the natural world his installations react with their surroundings, reflecting the environment and playing with the viewer's perception of the space. Aren't they wonderful?







This bucolic scene looks like something taken from a painting by Constable. 


After a final drink in the courtyard we exchanged gifts and said an emotional goodbye to Ann and Jos. We'll be seeing Claire and Gareth again very soon.


Did I mention gifts? 


From Ann & Jos: a pair of vintage bangles, laser-cut earrings, an vintage Indian scarf, 1970s Vera Mont maxi skirt, FabIndia tunic and vintage macrame bag plus Belgian beers, sweets and chocolates (all now seriously depleted). From Claire & Gareth, a thriller, an Incapability Brown mug and a William Morris magnetic shopping list. 


In other news, earlier this week the Kinky Shop met with both neighbour Florence and Liz's approval, with both making a few pre-Glasto purchases. 


Ain't technology great? I've had my phone for six months and I've only just discovered that it can make GIFs. Here's Liz & I cat wrangling in the Kinky tent.....


Talking of Glasto, the van's packed, our crew have got their passes and Jon's just popped out for fruit & veg and the rest of the booze. Meanwhile I've packed my bag.


From the left: Vintage Van Allan maxi with charity shopped army jacket, Vintage Hollywood Charmer maxi with a chazza-shopped Under The Stars sequined coat, Y2K Christian Audigier for Ed Hardy maxi dress & fake fur jacket (both recent charity shop finds), vintage Bernshaw lurex maxi with my favourite sequins on steroids coat (Larmer Tree 2018), fake fur hat (bought from our lovely Glasto trading neighbour, Gary), vintage Vera Mont maxi skirt from Ann & Jos, sequin bustier (chazza shop), Asbeau rams horn headdress (Beautiful Days 2022), psychedelic 70s maxi skirt (also A&J) and a vintage suede lace-up top.  


Levi's cut-offs, Y2K Adidas floral track top, Clarks boots, Superga plimsolls, sequin polo neck jumper, snakeskin workout leggings and sequin makeup bag (all charity shopped), John Galliano-era Christian Dior nightie via my friend Tricia plus a sari tote bag, Crocs slides, snakeskin workout top and socks. I'm taking knickers too but didn't bother photographing them.


I'm packing for a week and yes, I'm taking more than I'd normally pack for two months in India. It's the UK and we have to be prepared for every eventuality (whilst looking fabulous at the same time) and before you ask, the wellies and waterproofs are in the back of the van where they are every year and hopefully where they'll stay for eight day duration of our trip.


If I don't see you at Glastonbury (you'll find us opposite the bandstand on William's Green), I'll see you on the other side where hopefully I'll regale you with tales of celeb shoppers, fun with friends old and new and some cool musical discoveries.

54 comments:

  1. Well that blog title surely deserves some sort of prize!
    We had such a lovely day - I think they were about to throw us out, having outstayed our welcome!
    Loving the festival wardrobe. Sell loads and enjoy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claire. The title came to me in a flash (or it could be the can of Bacardi Mojito I was drinking at the time!)
      I reckon we should have sneaked off and spent the night in Ed's apartment, perusing the auction catalogues, hunting for the telly and ordering in pizza (didn't fancy cooking anything in that 1980s kitchen.)
      We seem to be very well organised for the first festival of the season. I'll let you know what we forgot next week! xxx

      Delete
  2. It looks like you all enjoyed a thoroughly marvellous day out. And what a glamorous trio you make.
    I just love the abundance of wild flowers there. The only order and lines I like to see are in a kitchen garden.
    Have a fabulous time at Glastonbury and I'll look forward to reading all about it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules! We had a fantastic time - long overdue, too!
      I'm not a fan of formal gardens, it seems such a pointless exercise to fight with nature and have all those neat rows, beauty is in the irregular and wild. xxx

      Delete
  3. Fabbo day out and I am not at all envious that you have so many lovely NT properties all within a sensible drive of home.

    Safe travels, have a wonderful Festival, and as you say “see you on the other side” 🤣🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Jayne! We are lucky being within an hour's drive of so many NT properties. When we joined back on my 50th birthday the volunteer who took our details remarked on us living in the best placed area for stately homes.
      Thanks so much, I'm so excited I can't concentrate on anything! xxx

      Delete
  4. Fabulous meet up. How lovely to meet up with Ann and Jos. Great gifts from them!
    Enjoy Glastonbury, I look forward to hearing all about your days, hoping for mega sales too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole! It was lovely to see them again after so long and they really spoilt us with pressies! xxx

      Delete
  5. A bit late for now but I know that you have glaucoma, so do I. I bought a cooling system for the drops which was a godsend on our recent visit to family in France when it was over 30 every day. This wallet is very simple to use and only needs cold water. It keeps drops cool for up to 48 hours. Here is the link, just in case you are interested. https://friouk.com/product/eye-drop-wallet-1-bottle/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that very useful information. I shall bookmark that website for future reference. Much love to you. xxx

      Delete
  6. Look like a wonderful time.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to visit the Attingham upper rooms and have a snoop but the walled garden is my favourite - really nice that you had a get together with good friends too although I would probably want it all for myself! ha ha. Your Glasto outfits are great -such a lot of stuff to combat all weather - I love the Vera Moda skirt with the suede lace up top - very nice. Wish I was going - will be thinking of you when I send out breakdown assistance to the hundreds of clapped out old campervans that get caught on the route in and out of Glasto! Will point them to the Kinky tent to pass some time :) Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The walled garden is magnificent. I love seeing produce growing alongside ornamental plants, wildflowers and wild areas of unmown lawn, it really is a joy. I do envy the volunteers having that garden to potter around in every day!
      That Vera Moda skirt is perfect with the lace-up suede jacket, a good slighter warmer outfit if the sun goes in.
      Oh yes, do send any breakdown customers our way, it was brilliant when you sent that man to find us at End of the Road a few years ago, he treated several members of hos staff to vintage clothes. xxx

      Delete
    2. oh that's nice to know! will make sure I mention you EVERY time!!! Betty x

      Delete
    3. You're a superstar! xxx

      Delete
  8. Eh up Vix, what a fab post! When Ann said she was coming over and would be doing a blogger meetup, my first guess was that it would be you and Claire! Don't you all look gorgeous. Looks like you all had a super time. Just popping in for a quick hello. I am super behind on reading as life has been a bitch, but I will return. Have a bloomin' wonderful time at Glasto :) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lulu! I'm sorry to hear that life's not been kind to you lately, sending you loads of love and hoping that one day I'll get to meet you! xxx

      Delete
  9. Another joy of a read and thank you for reminding me to blow the dust off my national trust memberships and actually bloody go!!! Can’t wait to read/see all the Glasto antics. If you manage to see a band called Tankus the Henge say hi to Jas the lead singer as he’s a mate (married to one of my besties)!! I mentioned Kinky Melon and they knew exactly who you were!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! We've met Tankus and the Henge before, possibly Towersey. We did very poorly on the seeing bands thing this weekend but had a tremendous time! xxx

      Delete
  10. I hope you have a cracking time at Glasto. We're dancing in Stonehenge on Saturday so I'll give you a wave! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, have a great time and SELL IT ALL at Glasto, Vix!! You'll be spectacular, I'm sure - your outfits are fabulous. I'm enamoured of that Hardy/Audigier dress - wow! - and the giant paillette jacket. I love your cat-wrangling GIF, well done!

    I'm so envious of you getting to see Claire and Ann (and partners, of course)!! It's morbid, but L and I plan an overseas trip when Vizzini leaves us (likely within 3 years, cursed kidney disease), and hopefully one day, that'll be us in those pics!

    Gah, I wish I could see that secret apartment - it sounds so amazing.

    Rock on and see you on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sheila! I knew you'd be drawn to that Hardy/Audigier dress - Jon said it made me look like a mermaid! Not a bad find for a fiver!
      It will be us in those photos one day - carry on giving Vizzini his best life and hanging out together will be your reward! xxx

      Delete
  12. How exciting to meet with Ann and Jos. I've only started following her fairly recently, but she seems lovely. Your Glasto packing looks wonderfully glamorous, and I really do hope the weather is kind to you. Have an amazing time and I'll look forward to your posts on the other side. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Louise! Ann and Jos are lovely, great fun and a joy to hang out with - likewise Claire & Gareth! It was a lovely day.
      Glastonbury is the perfect excuse to ramp up the glamour (like I need an excuse!) xxx

      Delete
  13. How lovely you got to meet up with Jos and Ann and of course Claire and Gareth. Attingham Park looks well worth a visit and the apartment at the top of the house sounds like the icing on the cake to me. I loved the mirrored sculptures; they looked very ghostly...

    What a wonderful array of outfits you've packed for Glasto. I hope the weather stays warm and dry and the wellies and waterproofs stay in the van. Have a wonderful time.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni! Attingham's wonderful, Shropshire is a fabulous base for a UK holiday, National Trust properties galore and us 40 minutes down the road!
      Yes, the waterproofs stayed in the van - the weather was idyllic! xxx

      Delete
  14. What a nice meet up. Glad you were able to do it. Have a great festival. Fingers crossed for sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely day, over far too soon as always! xxx

      Delete
  15. Who cares if it rains!!?? You're going to GLASTO! How exciting. Can't wait to read all about it! Happy trails (and rails!).xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it - the sun always shines on the righteous! I bet the gutter press hate it when they can't go on about the "Glastonbury Mudbath!" xxx

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Imagine being able to have private apartments inside a National Trust home, I would be in my element. The walled garden looks amazing and that lavender .... :-)

    I hope you have a wonderful time at Glastonbury, lots of fun and LOTS of trading. All the best for a great five days. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't he a lucky chap to see out his days amongst such splendour? The view from his lounge was spectacular. xxx

      Delete
  18. Oh and I meant to add, you three ladies look lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi vix! Great post, as ever. My son and his girlfriend have just arrived at Glasto and r very excited for the weekend. I told him to visit u and say Hi! Also my piano teacher is playing on the acoustic stage on Friday, guitar not piano! His band is Martin Stephenson and the Dainties. Have a fab time and I hope u come back with an empty camper. Shelagh xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I hope your son and his girlfriend had an amazing time at Glastonbury - although its pretty impossible not to! Martin Stephenson and The dainties - I loved them back in the 1980s, that's a proper claim to fame. Back in the old days (before we worked the festival) we often camped near the Acoustic Stage, it's such a peaceful area. xxx

      Delete
  20. You all look lovely. Enjoy Glastonbury x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that GIF thingy - You can have lots fun with it - I'm just wondering now if mine's got one - Have a wonderful time as usual at Glastonbury to you both Vix and Lord Jon xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes I feel you, after almost four years since COVID it is so good to get out. Attingham Park looks like a great place to visit. I love visiting places like this. I remember going to a photoshoot when I worked at a bridal magazine and we had a shoot at an old mansion kind of like this. You all looked like you had a great time. Loving everyones looks!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Didn't we have a marvellous day, and how absolutely wonderful to revisit it by reading your post. Your photos are brilliant too, and if it's OK with you, I'll borrow the one of Jos and me for my post. But first, I have to upload the 700+ photos I made during our holiday! Thank you so much for those fabulous presents, the denim dress was exactly what I was looking for! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful day, it was over all too soon. As soon as I spotted that dress I thought of you,I loved the pretty puffed shoulders! xxx
      PS Feel free to borrow that photo of you and Jos.

      Delete
  24. Forgot to mention that I'm loving the post title! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's lovely to see Attingham again, those gardens look gorgeous, totally my kind of thing. And so lovely that you met Ann and Claire and enjoyed a fab time. You look really happy in those photos, Stunning Ladies rocking together!. I'd love to join you, this kind of meetings with old blogging friends are always so wonderful.
    Looking forward to see your next post and hoping you're having lots of fun at Glasto!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! We had a fabulous time, blogger get togethers are the best! I wish you could have joined us. xxx

      Delete
  26. I don't think I actually ever commented on this despite reading it three times!!!! It seems like you had a wonderful time! What a gorgeous setting for a blogger meet up.
    That title is brilliant!
    I love the mirrored figures- they are so eerie and remind me of something from a Doctor Who episode! Your gifts are gorgeous! Didn't you do well!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. How amazing that you meet up with Ann and Jos! That must have been so lovely. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix