Sunday 14 May 2023

Travelling Light(ish)



It feels like ages since we last left these shores and, with Glastonbury looming large on the horizon, a few weeks ago we decided a lazy week in Greece would be just the thing before we threw ourselves into some serious festival trading.


By way of a change we've booked a package holiday, doing it ourselves - like we usually do - would have cost 50% more (I just hope we don't live to regret it!) We've each got a whopping 15kg baggage allowance in addition to 10kg of hand luggage but we're used to travelling light and didn't fancy lugging 50kg of baggage down the hill of doom to the train station so we've managed to squash all we need into one bag which, according to our handy little travellers' scale, weighs in at 14kg. 

So what are we taking? I know lots of you love a packing post as much as I do!


In addition to the hand embroidered tunic I bought in Lindos back in 2021, I'm taking some Joe Browns palazzo pants, my American Apparel shorts and a couple of River Island shirred cotton tops (all courtesy of the clearance charity shop)...


And four Indian cotton dresses (all but the turquoise maxi from Kharibu snaffled from eBay)


There's two bikinis (one an eBay buy in 2020 & the other from La Redoute's end of season sale), two cotton scarves, two charity shopped straw bags, a couple of pairs of sunglasses, the sandals I bought in Corfu last year, some stompy metallic leather sandals from the Clarks' clearance outlet and the new-to-me cowboy boots. I didn't think I needed to photograph the three pairs of knickers & three pairs of socks I'm taking/wearing to travel in!


In addition to knickers and socks, I'm travelling in my charity shopped Diesel denim jacket with this maxi, one of the Indian scarves (the air-con on planes can be brutal) along with my cowboy boots and prescription specs. My make-up's already packed away.


In my carry-on basket I've got noise cancelling headphones, my phone (with lots of downloaded podcasts), my Kobo ereader, purse and the book I'm currently reading. The makeup bag contains my rings & bangles which I'll put on once I've got through departures - my hip always sets the alarms off, I don't need to complicate matters even further. Jon's got the passports and the train and plane tickets are downloaded to our phones.  





Three pairs of earrings, six rings (the ones I always wear), the Malia Bee pendant and three bangles.


Makeup - mascara, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, two eyeshadows and applicators, tweezers, pencil sharpener, blusher, eyeliner brush, two lipsticks (loving the relaunched Bourgeois range, my Grandma's favourite, exclusive to Superdrug) and Karma solid perfume.


Toiletries - once-a-day suncream x 3, magnifying mirror, decanted Nivea eye make-up remover & cotton wool pads, plasters, body & face soap, bamboo interdentals, toothbrushes, toothbrushes, razors, painkillers, shaving gel, bamboo cotton buds, moisturiser, solid shampoo & conditioner & deodorant.


Hair stuff! Grips, invisible bands, non-slip bands, Tangle Teezer, hairstick and Superdrug serum (as recommended by Nikki)


It all fits in here. Lynn & Brendan found me this Playclan wash bag over a decade ago, it's very well travelled.


I've been experimenting with headscarves and after 56 years I think I've finally mastered the suburban turban! Will you be embarrassed to be seen with me in this?, I asked Jon whilst prancing around the kitchen in my headgear along with a bikini and a pair of slippers, When's that ever stopped you? he replied.....


I wasn't planning on taking a sunhat but spotted this foldable straw hat in the clearance chazza priced up at £2 this morning and I've squeezed it into the bag.


 This photo doesn't do my nails justice, they're an eye-searingly neon shade of watermelon. It's the first time I've ever had a professional manicure and I feel like a proper lady! 


Lord Jon's taking five shirts - all charity shopped.


Six pairs of shorts, (two pairs of swimmers, four for normal wear), three tee shirts (one with long sleeves), Clarks' Desert Treks, Crocs slides, two hats and a rucksack. He's travelling in shorts, the cap, a long sleeved tee-shirt with a denim jacket and his desert boots.


I'm not sure if we'll be able to get William through customs! His Auntie Liz is looking after him if you're wondering, whilst our friends around the corner will be popping to help out with Jacob.


Where are we going? We've been to Athens, Pelion, Thassos, Rhodes (x4), Crete (x3), Kos, Corfu (x3) and Zakynthos, it's time to try somewhere new.  


See you on the other side! 

46 comments:

  1. Lap that sun up you two before the work begins xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need a week of doing nothing before the madness begins. i just hope the weather plays nice! xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh, Vix, could we please have a scarf tying tutorial when you return? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Tess! It's taken me years to get a scarf to stay put and not make me look like a deranged charwoman but I think I've finally managed it! xxx

      Delete
  3. Your holiday capsule is perfect. Have a great time. Lise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great capsule clothes, I can never travel light so I am impressed. Also with your turban, you look fab! Have a fabulous time, guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carole! It's really hard to be disciplined, we're constantly buying summery things in charity shops and saying that they'll be perfect for our holidays, we need spend most of the year travelling just so we can wear them! xxx

      Delete
  5. Safe journey to you both, enjoy your break. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your break. I hope it is a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marjorie. It's got to be better than a wet week in Walsall! xxx

      Delete
  7. I thought you'd be off to Greece and I wasn't wrong!
    I always loved your packing posts, and your ability to travel light will never cease to amaze me. Of course, there's a difference to spending a week in sunny Greece with spending two in the UK, with its - to put it mildly - fickle weather. I'm already stressing about what to pack!
    Have a fabulous week, and I can't wait to read all about your (package) holiday ...
    Will get back to you on our plans by the time you're back! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got so many Summery clothes I could easily have filled that baggage allowance - and more - but the prospect of dragging it through town and onto the train put me off! You're right, I need to pack twice as much for a week at an English music festival than I do for a week in Greece - even if it rains at least I know it'll be warm (famous last words!)
      I can't wait to see you! xxx

      Delete
  8. Have the best time Vix, I’ll be coming along vicariously as usual and so looking forward to your posts. I am going to book a Getaway to Greece for this autumn … there, I’m committed now! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, sarah! Now you've said it you've got to do it! xxx

      Delete
  9. Ooooh! How fab another trip to Greece! But where are you going I want to know?

    I try to only take a similar sized bag away with me travelling on the ferry to Ireland because I know I will always come back with more. I think you are packing wonder and loved your holiday apparel choices. The foldable straw hat is brilliant. It helps if you don't have to cater for unpredictable weather when you're packing and I hope it's glorious weather at your mystery destination...

    Have a wonderful time!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell you when we're back! I like to leave you in suspense.
      You do so well shopping when you're in Ireland it makes sense to travel with the bare minimum. I'm hoping the weather's good, the forecast looks mixed but hey, we're in Greece, the wine's cheap, the sea's turquoise and the locals are friendly! xxx

      Delete
  10. Crikey, how long are you going for... a month.. ☺ You should see me pack light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. William's all "Don't go, mum and dad!" I love seeing how others pack - this is close to what L and I would carry, although we'd probably have a couple of small games with us (since I have been booze-sober for 5+ years, our nights of drunken carousing are more sedate).

    Have a grand time - can't wait to see your holiday pics, Vix! I love your turbans, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William's looking at us very intently at the moment, he knows something's up!
      We used to take Travel Scrabble to India, brilliant for those 17 hour train journeys.
      I'm vert excited about finally mastering the headscarf, my hair always drives me mad wen I'm away! xxx

      Delete
  12. I love the headscarf look! Your packing posts are always exciting! Where are you off to? I wonder if it is Hydra? We went there! Zakynthos? Delphi?
    Have a lovely time there! Can't wait to see your photos and outfits!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie! I get sick of battling with my hair on the beach, this way I can forget about it! None of those places although I'd love to visit Hydra & Delphi!
      See;p[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ - that should have read See you soon but William decided he needed to walk across the keyboard! xxx

      Delete
  13. Enjoy your trip! Have an open mind about the package. You don't have to hang out with the people, you are just on a plane, coach, and in the same hotel as them. We do our own thing and usually don't even recognize the people who have been there the same time as us.

    Kind of like taking the bus, you all go different places and do different things even though you all ride there together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're right, the package is a means to an end, we don't have to get involved with anyone else and we have headphones so can ignore any Brits Abroad or Brexit conversations on the plane or the coach.
      The area is said to have excellent public transport with cheap & reliable buses - I do love a foreign bus adventure! xxx

      Delete
  14. Enjoy. I love your travel recaps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you and Jon have fun! I love that photo of your 4 beautiful dresses lined up! X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a splendid break. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a fab break, Vix. Can't wait to hear where you've been and how you get on with it being a package. Your photos of Corfu Old Town from your other trip have put that firmly on our list to go to! Louise (Midlands) X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh have a splendid time! I'm sure the package holiday won't be that bad - you'll do your own thing anyway.
    Loving the headscarf and first glimpse of those gorgeous evil eye earrings!
    Can't wait to see the photos and read all about it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd welcome any type of holiday right now! Enjoy yours.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What I wouldn't give for a dose of Greek sunshine right now. I love your packing posts, and those suburban turbans are fabulous. I often wear scarves (or headbands that look like scarves) on my head, but I've never mastered the full on turban look either. I'll have to try harder, those things are a godsend when you don't want to wash your hair too lol! Have an amazing time, and I'll look forward to the blog posts on your return. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a wonderful time. Enjoy the salads and sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure that yourself Vix and Lord Jon shall have a magical time recharging your batteries xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Traveling light is important it makes you enjoy your trip even more.
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoy your getaway. I am a whole hearted believer of travelling light..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your turbans look fabulous!
    I completely endorse what 50 and counting said. The package is just an easy way to get to your destination. Once you're there, the world's your oyster. Have a fantastic time! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Safe travels! Enjoy!

    The low desert "enjoying" triple digit temperatures. Very low humidity, so it's fairly comfortable at this point. Not so much beginning in July!

    ...Taja 🏜️

    ReplyDelete
  27. A brilliant post, I do love a good packing post. We travel light too, I don't think we have ever managed to reach the dizzying heights of the kilos they actually allow you to take. You look fantastic in that £2 foldable straw hat ... what a timely find. :-)

    I hope you both have a wonderful time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great tips on packing! I do travel myself but lately feel like I am lacking on pizzaz in my travel outfits. I do need to pick up a trick or two up your sleeve. P.S. Safe travels, Vix!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You know I love a packing post! and I enjoy particularly your tips on toiletries and small stuff. It's amazing that you could fit everything into that bag!. I was used to cabin luggage but our last travels have spoiled me with that 15kg baggage allowance, not to speak about car travels!.
    I'm loving that cute dress and boots you've picked for your travel, and great idea to carry a scarf and headphones. Your carry-on basket looks very similar to mine when I travel (only that mine is less stylish!;D)
    Love particularly Lord Jon's comment 'When's that ever stopped you?'. Totally Mr.A's attitude too when I try something 'different' ;DDDD
    Hope that you can enjoy Greece your own way, even in a package holiday!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  30. I always love your packing posts. Have a wonderful time. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I knew it would be Greece! so much to see there - we were in Istanbul (2nd visit) just love it - but it rained non stop and wasn't very warm. I didn't see your message on f/book until later, how funny we were both sitting waiting for our flights at the same time. You have some lovely things in your suitcase - hope you are both having a great time :) Betty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix