Tuesday 2 May 2023

Cats, Clothes & Charity Shopping


Hello! It seems like an age since I last posted, these grey, cold and damp Bank Holiday weekends drag on for eternity.

The capsule wardrobe continues although, after what's been the worst UK April in seventy years, my clothes have mostly been hidden beneath a coat. I'm sure you know all these clothes already but just in case there's my first-ever Dilli Grey dress in Rani pink with my Levi's jacket, the legendary embroidered Mexican tomato dress with an Adidas track top nicked from the stockroom, the 1960s embroidered Indian cotton maxi, an early 70s Ayesha Davar embroidered cheesecloth maxi (worn with a me-made crochet tank top) and my Lucky Brand dungarees with a chartreuse embroidered folk blouse.


As rules are made to be broken I've shoehorned in a couple of new-to-me garments into my Spring collection to make up for the fact that I've not been able to wear my short sleeved dresses. 

I'd been lusting after this fabulous Indian block printed cotton blouse on the East website for ages and was thrilled when it popped up on eBay at a quarter of the original £89 price. 


These GAP "high waisted ripped 70s flares" currently retail for £45, I bought them from the clearance shop yesterday for £2. Although jeans are plentiful in chazzas, jeans in non-average sizes aren't so common. These are a 26L and fit like a dream (although I did have to chop a couple of inches off the bottom and re-hem them, I can't be doing with my trouser legs dragging on the floor).


Following decimalisation in 1971, these repurposed coin necklaces were all the range in the early 1970s. I remember my Mum looking at them in jewellery shop windows and remarking on how tacky they were. I'd not seen one in years until I found this one in Cancer UK for 50p. She'd laugh if she saw me wearing it.


The clogs, tooled leather belt and bag are all secondhand finds, the hat was a retail buy back when Debenhams was still in business. Needless to say, I wore a coat over the top when I went swimming this morning. Will it ever warm up?


In garden news, the bluebells & forget-me-nots are finally out, the irises and alliums are imminent and my Black Parrot tulips are bursting forth. Everything's later than usual as it's so bastard cold!

The previous week's Lidl Waste Not boxes were heavy on the apples and, as there were 28 in our last box, we skipped a week. We picked up this one this morning....I'm looking forward to sampling those raspberries! We'll have to fight over the potato. 


Here's this week's charity shop finds.

 
Clockwise from left: East rainbow stripe Indian cotton top; Adidas track top (which Jon told me I had to keep); Vintage 1980s pearl-embellished cardi; Vintage 1980s John V "The aristocrat of overalls" cropped studded denim jacket; 1980s Cote D'Azur applique cardi; 1980s Temptations New Romantic blouse; Mint Velvet sequin & chiffon overlay top; 1970s striped Courtelle polo neck; 1980s Classic Woman sequin & bead cocktail dress; Iceberg Bodycon dress; Hippie logo tee shirt; Repro 1960s Baby Doll mini dress; Embroidered Indian cotton kaftan; Zara nylon ruffle tee; 1980s drop waist midi dress; Free People filet crochet cotton tunic; 1990s knit waistcoat


Clockwise from top: 1980s fringed beach dress; High waist denim shorts; 1960s Mary Quant inspired suede daisy hot pants; Miss Selfridge duster coat; 1980s suede & knit jacket; Faith cowboy boots; 1980s St Michael lace sleeve dress; Thai peacock print shirt; Christy's, London cowboy hat; River Island washed suede flying jacket; 1980s pewter leather bag; 1960s gents' Courtelle mod cardi;1990s- does-the-1970s daisy print denim flares; Hawaiian shirt; 1950s orange suede jacket; 3 x official European footie shirts; 1950s Attaboy pork pie hat.
 
 
Clockwise from left: Lauren, Ralph Lauren sequin maxi dress; Alain Manoukian wool pinafore; 1980s Tikki dress; GANNI marled rib knit dress (the first time I've found this uber trendy Scandi label in a chazza); Desigual embroidered cotton maxi dress; Johnny B cotton mini skirt; 1980s Directions New Wave blazer; 1980s suede patchwork jacket; 1980s cotton maxi dress; Fringed festival playsuit;  1960s Tootal jumper; 1980s suede patchwork jacket


 The keepers? 


I couldn't resist buying William this early 20th century Wedgwood majolica cabbage leaf plate to serve his dinner on. A snip at 50p and made up the road, too! 


This outrageously gaudy 1950s San Marino Fat Lava vase was £1. Not everyone's thing but definitely ours!


Also there's this generous length of Indonesian woven ikat (for when my dressmaking mojo strikes); a couple of vintage statement necklaces; some brand new toiletries - Percy & Reid shine spray, Jack Wills Hope Cove body butter (named after the Devon seaside village where I spent most of my teenage summers), a Body Shop hand cream & essential oil set and a Revolution eyeshadow palette; a Morris & Co Strawberry Thief oven mitt and a paper trilby for Jon.


I loved reading about your cats in the comments left on my last post!


As you can see, we managed to take down the catio on Saturday afternoon and successfully rebuild it although when I say we, it was mostly Jon! The previous owner was an absolute delight and we got on like a house on fire. What can I say? Cat people rock! 


Lined with a few cat friendly plants and a generous spritz of cat nip spray, William's gradually getting used to it.


He's been a very good boy. After 24 hours of being miserable, we tried him without the Cone of Shame and he was brilliant, no mithering at his bits or over-grooming. He's eaten well and, despite being a street cat, managed to use the litter tray (thanks to our friend Michelle's clever suggestion of using soil instead of cat litter). We've also permitted him a few supervised visits around the garden - it's been inundated with cats over the last couple of days, William needed to get out there and mark his territory .


He's been back for his pre-op at the vet this afternoon and was terribly car sick. He's healing nicely although he's managed to remove the suture in his mouth so its looking rather inflamed and he's got a bit of a temperature (although the vet agreed that this could be down to the stress of the journey). Back at home he's eaten a handful of biscuits, some cat soup (dosed with Metacam) and a sachet of Felix and after a mad ten minutes with the cat nip mice he's now fast asleep on the chaise wrapped up in his favourite vintage blanket.


He's back at the vet on Saturday, any tips for car sick cats would be greatly appreciated.

See you soon!


38 comments:

  1. Love the blouse from East. You look fab in jeans. Your feline friends know where to go for love and care. Not many cats eat off of Wedgwood ha ha love it. Hope William makes a speedy recovery! Just got back from the vets ourselves Archie has allergies including dust! The chazza Gods have been kind and you picked up some beauties. How about that Desigual dress! good to back in Vix world Shazx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Shaz! It's so good to have you back! I love alternating my dresses and skirts with jeans, they make my dresses feel even more special. I couldn't believe that blouse being on Ebay, I wonder why the seller didn't return it for a refund (I'm glad she didn't)?!
      If only that Desigual dress had been in my size. Gah!
      Poor Archie, I hope the vet can help with his allergies. William must be feeling better, he's staring at the door willing me to let him out...no way, baby! xxx

      Delete
  2. Poor old William. I'll try and remember to ask my Mum if she has any tips as I do remember our cat when I was little used to always be car sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes sense that William has his own Majolica (is this the beginning of a collection? 😂) Daisy had her own set of Denby dishes . . .

    As for car sick - obviously don't feed him close to the journey, see if you can arrange his basket so that he can see out of the windows (that made a huge difference to Daisy) and you could try one of the calming sprays that contains valerian. I used "Pet Remedy Calming Spray" from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he might appreciate a few more majolica plates for his biscuits and cat milk!
      Oh, thanks for the recommendation. Jon's got a month's free Amazon Prime membership so I'll get him to order a bottle when he gets up. Several friends on Facebook had suggested covering his carrier with a blanket but I was concerned that not being to see outside might make him feel worse (I suffered from car sickness as a child and needed to look straight ahead to stop feeling nauseous). xxx

      Delete
    2. I make the comment about being able to see out because once I sat on the floor of Bill with Daisy whilst Management drove. (Yes, I know I was breaking the law, it was only for a couple of miles - sue me.)

      But the point is that a combination of vehicle vibration from being so low down, and not being able to see out had me feeling like chucking up within seconds, so it was no surprised Daisy hated it so much (but she also hated being on the seats because it meant she was at the other end of the vehicle and too far away . . . never did solve that problem 🥹🥹 )

      Delete
    3. Your secret's safe with me, Jayne! I quite like the idea of sticking a harness on him and letting him find a comfortable spot to sit for himself. xxx

      Delete
  4. William is very cute. I'm not a cat person, it's not that I don't like them, it's that I'm terribly allergic and my eyes swell up like golf balls. That said, there's a very beautiful cat who lives next door and has started visiting my garden just to sit and look at the fairy lights. I'm wondering if I could share him/her (not been close enough to see) as a kind of outdoor cat. Little Miss would love that, she's fascinated by cats. This weather is depressing isn't it? Constantly having to be wrapped up, it definitely doesn't feel at all like May. I just hope it breaks soon and we can get some warmth and sunshine. Those Faith cowboy boots you picked up reminded me of a pair I had in the early 2000s. They were Kurt Geiger and I wore them until they died. I really need some cowboy boots. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friend's husband's had a severe cat allergy until a cat adopted them and within a few weeks his allergy seemed to vanish. I can't see why you can't share the visiting cat, she/she obviously enjoys your company and it would be lovely for Little Miss to get used to cats, they are such fascinating creatures!
      Finally we have sunshine and 14°C warmth and all is right in the world again.
      You're terrible, I just had a sneaky look at secondhand cowboy boots on ebay (there are some beauties!) and ended up buying another pair! xxx

      Delete
  5. Oh, poor William! No tips from me, I'm afraid, as I've no experience with car sick cats. Our first cat, Poesie, absolutely loved travelling by car!
    There I was admiring that Wedgwood majolica cabbage leaf plate, which I would definitely have picked up too, when I read it was meant for William! What a spoiled boy :-) Better not show this to Bess ...
    Fabulous outfits as always, my favourite this time being the 1960s embroidered Indian cotton maxi. Although the GAP flares with the East blouse is a strong contender! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad had a cat like Poesie, he used to take her for a drive in his MG BGT most nights!
      I thought that majolica plate matched William's eyes. I'm not usually a fan of Wedgwood but I loved that intense shade of green.
      I've had the embroidered maxi for 13 years. i have its twin in white, I'm dying to give it an outing soon! xxx

      Delete
  6. Love your new East blouse and pendant...and snap! I also purchased some 70s style flared jeans off eBay. I've yet to wear them because I want to wear them with a slight heel and I've been waiting to wear them with my gold Lottas and it hasn't been warm enough. Might break them out this weekend.
    I'm lusting over that East rainbow top and the Free People top from your charity shop haul and what a gorgeous vase! William now has to be the poshest cat in the neighbourhood with his collar, catio and feeding bowl. I'm so glad you've ditched the cone. I don't recall Mowzer having any issues in that regard either. I think the vets also plonk them on just in case! He looks so content. What a lucky cat! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your jeans. I altered mine so they were the right length to wear with my Lottas. My feet were the only part of my body that wasn't cold yesterday, those wood soles really keep in the heat.
      It's so annoying, all the good stuff I find seems to be a 16 or an 18 like the rainbow East top and the Free People top. That FR one went very quickly, it was gorgeous!
      He hated that cone although Jon made him wear it around the garden so he wouldn't run away from him. Kitty for next door was horrified at the sight of him! xxx

      Delete
  7. P.S. Not sure if the sickness is caused by motion or stress? I can only suggest having him in the passenger seat so you can talk to him and he can see you and putting something of yours inside his pet carrier so that he has your smell close to him. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought. I tried having him on my lap in the carrier so he could see Jon and I could stroke him and then moved on to the back seat with me sitting next to him but neither worked. We've ordered some Pet Remedy so maybe getting him off his tits might help on Saturday! xxx

      Delete
  8. Your new East blouse is lovely and really suits you. William is truly a pampered pussy with his own cat palace and now a Wedgwood plate to eat off ... he deserves it all. :-)

    As to help with cat-carsickness I'm no help whatsoever. Ginger loves to travel although he prefers being loose in the car and stretching out on the back seat with the dogs, very naughty to have a loose animal I know, but he usually escapes his carrier himself and then has to stay out until we arrive so that he doesn't dart out of an open door on the motorway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! Jeans feel like such a novelty after years of shunning them.
      He is a pampered puss, vintage blankets, antique plates, Jon's even treated him to Gourmet cat food which probably means he'll refuse to eat own brand once he's tasted it!
      I love the thought of Ginger lounging on the back seat of the car. We knew a ginger cat who used to come to festivals with his trader parents. It was very odd to see a cat roaming around the arena before it opened to the public every day! xxx

      Delete
  9. Oh, poor William! I wish I could help with car sickness remedies but there's no point telling him to 'watch the horizon'. He is a very handsome chap and how lucky to have such a fab catio! And as for his plate - I also had two of those Wedgewood plates for 50 p each from a chazza but not with wavy edges; one of the grandsons broke one. I then found another on Hitchin market to make up the pair again and the other grandson promptly broke the other one!

    Loving your capsule wardrobe and was so pleased to see my all time favourite - the beautiful embroidered 1960s maxi. The new to you East blouse is so very pretty and looks wonderful on you as do your new jeans.

    Amazing charity shop finds as usual - I have the same vintage statement necklace that you found. The vase is fabulous!
    It's turned a bit sunnier but it's still pretty chilly...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bad enough having to take him to the vets without the poor lad being car sick. That's what my mum always said to me when we went on car journeys, "Watch the horizon!" He's enjoying his catio and was showing off his skills up and down the ramp to one of my friends earlier.
      That's funny about the Wedgwood plates. Your grandson sounds just like Jon, he's a nightmare with breakables.
      I think of you every time I wear that dress.
      We've obviously got great taste having the same necklace. I'm wearing one of them today and the other's getting an outing tomorrow.
      It's better than it has been but you're right, it's chilly out of that sunshine. xxx

      Delete
  10. I don't know if felaway might help him to stay calm. He's adapting well to everything new isn't he. I've said it before, but I am just so pleased that he's come and filled that cat shaped hole left by the loss of your boys last year. You and Jon just look so happy to have him. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A! Sorry, I found your comment hidden away in the spam folder. We've bought Pet Remedy which, I believe is a cheaper alternative to Feliway - which we used to use on Guy Fawkes Night when Stephen was still with us. I'm already nervous about tomorrow's appointment. xxx

      Delete
  11. Your new East blouse is delightful I love their stuff but , like you, only buy on ebay or in their frequent sales, considering the work that goes into the printing its worth what they ask sometimes. I quite like the gaudy vase as I like bright colours. Isn't your catio lovely, such a great safe cosy place for your lucky black cat. Car sick cat? I would put the cat carrier on top of something (I e. You) in front seat to elevate and so he can see out facing forward :) before embarking I would wipe him and his carrier with pet remedy calming wipes they are brilliant, Mollie is a nervous puker and they help her a lot
    Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. East make some lovely stuff and beautifully made. As they aren't fashion-led you do wonder why anyone would get rid of the clothes they've bought from them, they're timeless, aren't they?
      That vase is so obnoxiously bright I had to have it. Now the elevated idea is a good one. On Jayne's recommendation I've bought some of the Pet Remedy spray so I'll give William's carrier a good going over before we leave for the vets. I'm glad it helped Mollie! xxx

      Delete
  12. You always find the best stuff - I've been watching for an Adidas jacket just like that! Jon's totally right for you to keep it. All the kids are into Air Jordans, but mark my words, Adidas will be uber-trendy. Love your outfits, esp. the great blouse and jeans - I've never seen a necklace like that!

    I am always glad that I like the weird stuff - I love the cabbage plate, it's very deserving for Mister W. He's looking rather put-upon in his catio, but will get used to it. I'm glad he's resting after his ordeal. Aw, I just want to rub his fur! Thanks so much for sharing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still holding out for a Adidas with the banana leaves like yours! It was Sarah Jane Adams who piqued my interest in Adidas. You're right, leave the Air Jordans to the kids, lets make our own trends.
      Young William is very appreciative of the cabbage leaf plate, much more suitable for a stylish cat! xxx

      Delete
  13. That East top is gorgeous, Vix. I did laugh at the 28 apples in the other week's Waste Not box! How do you cook the aubergine? They tend to be in our boxes but never quite sure of what to do with them. You've got a great haul from the charity shops there. Not suprised William's dining off wedgewood being the adopted 'son' of Lord Jon! What does that make him? Not sure of the title... Honourable William Woolberforce the second, maybe or a Lord : ) Louise (Midlands) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Louise! We'll be looking like apples soon!
      We slice the aubergine lengthways, brush it with olive oil and cook it over a low heat in a skillet (a frying pan will do) until it softens and turns golden. I like it drizzled with salad dressing and and served with a Greek salad but it's lovely as a pizza topping.
      I'm liking the idea of a regal title for young William! xxx

      Delete
  14. Kathryn and the AncientsThursday, May 04, 2023

    I was awakened at an ungodly hour this morning by several concerned members of the elderly gang who had been able to read your "bog" on some Senior Center visitor's laptop last night and had spent the night worrying about this!

    They are dying to figure out what a "catio" is. I keep telling them that it provides a safe way for your little dude to enjoy the garden when you are not out there with him, but they have QUESTIONS! Sigh.

    1) They all send love and good wishes to you and Jon and your cat!
    2) Can he (the cat, not Jon!) get back into the house by himself? Is the actual catio connected to a door of the house? Can a burglar get in to the house that way?
    3) Will it fall over and hurt you if you are working in the garden near it? (Always concerned for your safety, they are!)
    4) Is the cat all better from his procedures? Did he have to wear a onesie so he wouldn't chew at his surgical sites?

    Since if YOU say all is well, they will quiet down, I am sending this along. Sorry to be pests! While they worry over the cat and ooh and aah over the garden, I am enjoying your wondrous ensembles, as always! Many thanks for keeping on with your blog...so much work for you, but such a treat for all of us!

    Love from K and the Ancients!

    They are indeed having a coronation party at the center. I'm not at all sure that they know what they are going to be celebrating, to be honest with you...but they love a party! (Don't we all!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathryn and the gang from me & Lord Jon!
      Kathryn's right, the catio is a safe place for William to hang out when we're not around to supervise him. Although we don't live near a busy road, here's a lot of stray cats in the neighbourhood and we don't want him fighting.
      I have warned Jon that if he plays up it'll be him in the catio and not William.
      In answer to the questions - the catio is firmly attached to the doorframe. There's a cat flap in the door so he can come in and out of the house at all hours of the day and night, watch the birds and squirrels or to get some fresh air.
      I really wanted him to wear a onesie but he's really small and he's have been tripping up over it. He wore an Elizabethan collar (aka the cone of shame) for the first 24 hours and for when Jon walked him around the garden so he could answer the call of nature but he hated it so much we took it off. He's back at the vet's on Saturday (the roads should be quiet due to a certain big event taking place!) but seems back to him normal self, waking me up at 5.30am and eating us out of house and home! I'd forgotten how much of a worry these animals are!
      Have an absolute blast at your party. We'll be with you in spirit (and drinking a few spirits!) xxxx

      Delete
  15. I'm hoping I'm back in!!! Fingers crossed! Catmac

    ReplyDelete
  16. Firstly, I do love your Dilli Grey pink dress and the Fantastic Tomato Dress (a favourite of mine!) and all the fab clothes you wear, particularly those jeans and blouse ensemble you rock in!. Looking gorgeous whatever the weather, dear Vix!. So amazing that you're having such a bad weather, when we had the hottest and driest April ever! (but can't consider it 'good weather' as drought is a real problem!).
    And I'm totally in love with Little William's cuteness!, I do love a black cat (and enjoyed reading all the lovely comments) and that catio is such a cool thing!. Hope he's recovering quickly. Actually, the only cats I lived with were my flatmates' cats, but I always felt 'second in charge', and still miss them!. But Mr.A. doesn't share these feelings (even if I think he'd fall in love with any furry creature, it's just that he has never had cats around).
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! This winter seems to have dragged on for years, I was starting to lose the will to get dressed!
      I loved hearing about other people's cat stories. Black cats (well, all cats) are adorable and William's already stolen our hearts. I bet if a cat like William just turned up on the doorstep Mr A might be persuaded to change his mind! xxx

      Delete
  17. I AM in! Looking forward to being part of the Vix Club again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm thrilled to hear from you! xxx

      Delete
    2. Hi Vix! Sent another message later thinking I was out! I am thrilled to be back in the game!

      Delete
  18. Oh it's a catio! ie. posh cat enclosure :) (catching up on bloggies) You are good to your stray cats Vix. You look fab in flares! I spent most of my teens in flares. In fact is it Monsieur's first memory of me - me walking into the guitar shop 'all cocky & Manc like in flares', asking for a Saturday job. I don't know why Mancs liked flares so much in the 90s - they would suck all the Pennine rainwater up & remain soggy all day long. What an absolute bobby dazzler that Wedgewood cabbage plate is!!! ❤❤❤ xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix