Friday 24 February 2023

What's Your Dosha?

I've answered a few of your questions, so here's one for you. Are you familiar with Ayurveda, the natural system of medicine which originated in India more than 3,000 years ago? It is believed that the universe is made up of five elements, air, water, space, fire and earth which form three different doshas - the types of energy which circulate within our bodies with each being responsible for specific physiological functions. Before you dismiss this as new age nonsense, try out this QUIZ to identify yours (don't worry it's not a dodgy website, you don't need to provide an email address or sign up for anything). When Jon & I did it we found the results freakishly accurate.

Any excuse to share a travel photo! Taken in Jaisalmer, the desert frontier town in Rajasthan, Northern India, January 2020

My dosha is Vata (air and space). I've got boundless energy, a restless mind and I'm very impulsive. I struggle with routine. My skin is dry, I have difficulty gaining weight and a light sleeper, often woken by dreams of flying. My hands and feet are always cold and I'm at my happiest in a hot climate. Whereas Jon's dosha is Pitta (fire and water). His weight rarely changes and he develops muscle easily, he's a good decision maker, quick to learn and inclined to be a perfectionist. He has trouble falling asleep but when he does he sleeps deeply and it takes a long time for him to wake up. Missing meals makes him grumpy.

It is believed that you can balance the negative parts of your dosha by exercise and diet (HERE). Whilst we don't follow the advice to the letter it's good to know that my inability to sit still or Jon's insomnia, isn't because we're broken, we're just imbalanced - hence the need to regularly take a break from our routine to relax and reset. 

I'd love to know if your results were as accurate as ours.

And because I'm a verified airhead and easily distracted, I'm switching to a completely different subject. Here's Jacob out of hibernation and trundling around the lawn on Tuesday afternoon - Spring has sprung!


And green shoots mean that our Nepeta is growing back and the garden is a haven for stoned cats, off their tits on cat mint. Here's William Woolberforce....


Not particularly interested in the Dreamies but loving a bit of fuss and very chatty. He's an intact tom but he's obviously used to people and doesn't exactly look like he's starving so I'm not sure we can steal him. 


Beautiful Kitty from next door, totally out of it.



Just one day of charity shopping this week - but a good one despite it being the school holidays and everywhere being busy.


Clockwise from top left: Topshop leather bomber jacket; Stronghold, Los Angeles leather boots (currently on their website for $320); 1990s leather flying jacket; 1970s Italian military trench; 1970s David Stafford, London jumbo cord blazer; 1980s Daks all-wool jacket; Zara woven mini dress; Transmission leather waistcoat; Suede mini dress; 1970s suede blazer, tailored in Kowloon; 2 x 1980s wool jackets; Joe Browns embroidered jacket; Contemporary Biba fake snake belt; 1980s leisure shirt; 1960s gents mac; 1970s St Michael housecoat and a 1970s halterneck maxi dress.

And here are the keepers.....


Labelled by the charity shop as "Kid's toy" and priced at 50p, this V&A Museum owl brooch depicts the  consort of Athena, the Greek goddess of battle strategy and wisdom. With all my hair brooches are pretty much lost on me but I could always pin her on my hat.


Obsessed with all things suede, I couldn't resist this huge bag (£4), it's been on my arm ever since I bought it.

Unopened beauty products both priced at £1 -  Australian brand, Frank, caffeinated hair mask which retails at £14 and Gatineau, Paris exfoliating cream which sells for a staggering £50. I'm almost hoping its utter rubbish and I'll hate it, I wouldn't want to buy it regularly at that price.


More snake-y stuff. This amazing bag was made in Italy by Nardelli and originally retailed at £395 - I paid £4.


Two mid-century Atomic cat vases.


Like I need another pair of boots! These are unworn with the H&M price stickers still on the sole and at £3 too cheap to leave behind ...and that's why, my friends, that I'll never be an minimalist!


Inspired by the one Claire wore on our Cotswolds day out (Claire's post (HERE), I couldn't resist snaffling this peaked cap out of the charity shop £1 bucket, even if Jon thinks I look a bit gimp-ish in it.  


The 66-piece capsule wardrobe is going strong (and now down to 64 garments as I've since donated a blouse and a waistcoat to the Kinky Shed ).


Last Friday: Zara embroidered blouse and Dilli Grey needlecord maxi skirt worn with C.Doux brown suede boots and a River Island felted wool hat (both charity shopped) for a morning of charity shopping and an afternoon of photography and eBay listing. 


Saturday: Dilli Grey maxi dress and a Dilli Grey block printed jacket, Monsoon fedora, a vintage 1930s Liberty, London silk scarf and charity-shopped Timberland boots for a day in The Cotswolds with Claire, Gareth and Lord Jon.

Sunday: Vintage Anokhi blouse, vintage Kashmiri woolwork waistcoat, Fat Face jeans & Aldo fedora (both charity shopped) and snakeskin cowboy boots (Urban Outfitters, 2020, reduced from £95 to £12) for a trip to the clearance charity shop.

Monday: Topshop combats, turquoise necklace and Gap Indian cotton chambray blouse (all charity shopped), block printed waistcoat (Monsoon flash sale buy) for a morning of eBay listings, a root retouch and a blog catch-up.

Tuesday: Dilli Grey dress, retail-bought felt fedora (2018), Clarks Air Sole leather boots and Rawhide leather coat (both charity shopped) for swimming, breakfast in 'Spoons and an afternoon of mending & reading.


Wednesday: Vintage 1960s Louis Caring psych print maxi dress worn with The Jacksons suede boots & Reiss felted wool fedora (both via eBay) worn for a morning of Lidl & charity shopping followed by an afternoon of photography.


Thursday: Dilli Grey maxi skirt, Kharibu reversible block printed jacket, Monsoon fedora, M&S Heatgen polo neck (bought as a second from eBay) and a Medusa buckle belt (charity shop) for swimming, 'Spoons and an afternoon of chores.


Friday: Vintage Anokhi linen shirt worn with Levi's skinnies, River Island cap and Clarks suede boots (all charity shopped) for a morning spent sorting out the Kinky Shed and an afternoon of laundry and wardrobe sorting.


Thanks for the fantastic response to my skincare, make-up and fitness post (HERE), I loved reading your replies. If you haven't already, it's worth going back and  reading all the comments, there's some great tips. 

PS: Tess and Louise from The Midlands - thanks for the questions on time management and diet. I promise to do a post on both very soon. 


My lovely friend Betty (who celebrates her birthday today) mentioned that I'd neglected to mention my nails so here's my rather extensive collection of Barry M. Working in the catering trade meant painted fingernails were a no-no for years so I'm making up for all those miserable colourless decades now, it's rare you'll see me without my trademark Barry M nail paint, usually blue or green but as you can see, I've deviated in recent years and occasionally wear "normal" colours. I use Barry M's Basecoat, Topcoat and Strengthener underneath and over the top and remove it with Cutex. My nails are strong and grow quickly (which could be down to the Ginkgo), I've never had a professional manicure or pedicure and use clippers when they get too long, I'm hopeless with a nail file. 


Thanks for reading. We're off to rebalance our doshas, see you on the other side!

50 comments:

  1. Of all the wonderful colours and combinations you've been wearing that Louis Caring maxi dress is just beautiful. I used to paint my nails regularly and loved unusual colours in my teen years (which are far enough back that it was very hard to find anything that wasn't red or pink). I remember my delight at being given some gold nail polish by Chanel as a gift - no way I could have justified buying it myself. Nowadays I rarely bother as I spend a lot of time in the swimming pool in neoprene gloves and that tends to make my nails weaker so I cut them much shorter than I used to. Back in the day if they didn't look like tallons I wasn't doing it right!

    I did the test and I'm mostly pitta, followed by kapha, about a 3/5 to 2/5th split, with one or two outliers because I'm quite impulsive and hate routine too, and get easily distracted by new and shiny fun things to do. There would be long stretches where it was all pitta answers but then suddenly they'd go all over the place - I guess I'm just mixed up!

    In my 30s I started seriously taking care of my skin with loads and loads of products applied religiously. I don't know if that's stood me in good stead but after about 10 years I gave up on it all. The only thing I carried over was not using soap, so I haven't washed my face or applied anything to it apart from sun cream for nearly 20 years! I do get regular compliments about it so something must be in balance there! Not sure if that counts as a skincare routine, but as with hair I've come to believe that less is more, and the fewer chemicals you use the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fiftr! I don't wear that Louis Caring dress very often hence the reason I included it in the capsule. It's the only synthetic item I chose and was quite glad of its warmth On Wednesday morning.
      I remember loving Barry M when it was launched, I was so excited about their black nail paint, a much better alternative to the wishy-washy Constance Carroll pinks I used to buy from the chemists on the corner!
      Other than a couple of exceptions I was pretty much vata all the way, your mix probably means that you're well balanced.
      That's amazing that you've not washed your face for twenty years. You're right about less being more with haircare (and skin), the mind boggles at all the lotions, potions, serums and mists when I pop into Superdrug for eye make up remover! xxx

      Delete
  2. Sorry, just realised my comment had gone up as anon... it's Fifitr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to see here! love seeing your little tortoise out for a stroll and my eyes lit up at the suede dress on your finds, what a beauty. You do look very good in Jeans Vix and they are so easy and versatile to dress up or down. Your nail collection is a surprise. I bite my nails, then grown them, then they all break and the cycle begins! so I only have about 4 colours for the good days and nail nurse for in-between - but I do love BarryM coconut cuticle oil which they have stopped doing - trying to make mine last for ever. I am off to have a crack at the Ayerveda quiz now :) Betty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd be excited to see Jacob out and about, Betty! He's later this year, normally he climbs out his box in January and sleepwalks into the lounge curtains for another month or so.
      I'm looking a jeans with new eyes, they're a great way of getting more wear from my printed tops and are so comfy. It's amazing how many decent pairs pop up in charity shops.
      I hate it when products get discontinued. Barry M have the rose hip oil reduced to clear on their website which is really good (when I remember to use it!) xxx

      Delete
  4. Back with the results of my Dosha - I'm Vata. In my 20s had treatment in Malaysia by a massage man practicing Ayurveda, who was able to uncannily find various problems in my body (including infertility which was later verified) he did Ayurvedic massage treatements and I had some in India too - all very effective... so yes I do think it is very real and accurate and its teaching can be adapted to western lifestyles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're dosha sisters, then! That's interesting about the practitioner in Malaysia. I do believe there's something in ayurvedic, don't you?
      I've had the Shirodhara treatment in India a few times. It's when warm oil is poured over the forehead for up to an hour, it's wonderfully relaxing and especially good for the vata dosha although it took a week to wash the oil from my hair. Kerala is the best place for Ayurveda, you'll have to give it a go! xxx

      Delete
  5. My high was Pitta (18) but I also had a similar Vatta (16). My low was Kapha (9). My problem with these evaluations is that there are always lots of instances where none of the available answers apply to me!

    I have to admit to lately being nail obsessed. Gel manicures are crazy expensive and now studies indicate arisk for the UV drying lights to cause cancer. So I have been using glue/press-on nails that zI get from dollar and discount stores. I like a shorter L.A. COLRS blue style. I scarf them up when I find them cheap. I keep glue on hand so zI can pop them back on if needed. It means I am not playing my guitar but I am enjoying my nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alex! I struggled with a couple of the questions, too - but I think it still works if you miss the irrelevant ones. You sound very well balanced and your pitta and vata doshas seem to point to the person I think you are, creative and artistic with a strong work ethic.
      I've just googled that LA COLOURS blue nail paint, its gorgeous. I've not used stick on nails for years but they seem to be having a resurgence and they really are brilliant for some instant glam if, like you, you remember to have a stash of nail glue at hand! xxx

      Delete
  6. Vata=17, Pitta=20, kapha=1. No surprise. Obsessive, anxious, determined, nervy... that's me. Am so enjoying your hair, exercise, bits and pieces thing that you've got going. Makes someone like me, want to be more me. Vata needs oily, cooked food so Indian food is just great for you. My fave food, too. Pitta loves watery cold foods like salads (ugh), and protein. obviously you and (Lord) Jon have found a middle road. Love the monsoon waistcoat, it's just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting? I'm vata: 31 pitta: 8 kappa: 4 and sound very much like you without the anxiety. It would be a nightmare for Jon and I to eat if we followed dosha based diets as it is add sauces and dressings to my food and he prefers drier dishes.
      That waistcoat is one of those online shopping successes - I spotted it online months ago, put it in my basket and eventually got an email about a flash 70% sale so I pounced! xxx

      Delete
  7. Writhing with envy over you lucky nail--painters! I cannot be around solvents anymore so nail polish is no longer for me - but I do look back on the days of my long, acrylic, shiny black nails with much nostalgia lol. Bless my little sparkly goth heart.
    I was very excited about the doshas - mine was mainly pitta - however I was a bit disturbed by the kind of food and drink recommended to keep it balanced. Also no coffee. I am doomed to have an unbalanced dosha!
    Loving the continued fabulousness of the capsule wardrobe - I am tempting fate by putting some of my winter coats back in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame about the solvent allergy, Elaine. I feel naked without painted nails these days!
      You're like Jon, then. He was most upset about his dietary recommendations, too especially the "mild" flavoured foods, coffee and alcohol! Better to be mildly imbalanced than miserable.
      If it snows next week I'll come knocking on your door blaming you for cursing the weather! xxx

      Delete
  8. OMG I was wondering about Jacob. So pleased to see him (they?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a bit later than usual (and definitely a him!) xxx

      Delete
    2. Sorry for some reason I appear as anonymous I am NOT. Delighted to see Jacob,
      Lxx

      Delete
    3. Thanks for leaving a name, Lynette. When I use my phone to comment it always comes up as anonymous even when I'm signed into Google, very annoying!
      Jacob's ready for his 48th Spring! xxx

      Delete
  9. Yes I have heard of Ayurveda medicine. My score was Pitta 19, Vata 15 and Kapha 9. I looked for an evaluation here and you're right, it's amazingly accurate in parts. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-is-ayurveda/ Fascinating!
    I love all of your charity shop finds this week (I have a particular soft spot for those cats!) and you look gorgeous in all of your outfits and I second Betty's comment - you do look good in jeans! I think the hat really suits you - those peaked hats just feel a little more structured and frame the face I think. Did you decide to keep it? xxx
    P.S. I always appreciate photos of cats off their tits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claire! That's a fantastic link, thank you! You'll find yourself disappearing down a Ayurvedic rabbit hole for ages. Pukka (the tea company) have a short quiz on their website and recommend different blends of tea for each dosha - three mint and triple ginger for me (although I'm addicted with the chilli and coca bags you gave me!)
      I was excited by those cats, they were often at vintage fairs but it must be the first time I'd spotted them in the wild!
      I'm rather liking the jeans so thanks for the encouragement. The cap is a very different look but with that higher peak you're right, it softens the face.
      We'll get a reputation for being the neighbourhood's cat crack dealers at this rate, two more have just staggered off in a state of joyful oblivion, it's like Glasto without the long drop lavs! xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip. I love Pukka teas too (glad you're enjoying the chilli and coca tea). My Pitta and Vata scores were close on the first quiz, but according to the Pukka quiz, I'm Vata. It's fascinating! xxx

      Delete
    3. I was surprised when you said you were Pitta, I thought you were a Vata like me. They say to test every six months. My dosha's never changed but the scores for the vata get higher by the year. It makes a lot more sense than birth signs and horoscopes, doesn't it? xxx

      Delete
    4. It's really interesting. As you say, I'm slipping down that rabbit hole! xxx

      Delete
  10. Thanks for posting the link to the quiz-I am definitely a Pita and so is my 47 year old daughter! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Catriona! Thanks for leaving a comment. You and your daughter are in Team Pita along with Jon, focussed, intelligent and prone to perfectionism. Isn't Ayurveda fascinating? xxx

      Delete
  11. My dosha is most definitely Pitta! I'd heard of Ayurveda medicine but had no idea about the dosha thing. Definitely worth looking into, though.
    Wonderful news about Jacob being out of hibernation. Spring won't be far off now, although it appears we're in for another cold snap next week.
    Fabulous chazza finds, as usual, I'm swooning over the mid-century cat vases, the owl brooch and those gorgeous snake print boots.
    Glad to hear your "capsule" wardrobe is still going strong. The Dilli Grey needlecord maxi skirt with Zara blouse and the Louis Caring psych print maxi are my favourites this time!
    And I do think the peaked cap suits you, whatever Jon says.
    Have fun rebalancing your doshas! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Pitta! I love that when your dosha is in perfect balance you have "inner peace and happiness", you can't ask for more than that.
      I'm wondering if Jacob's a bit previous, it's been hailing today!
      I was excited by the cats and the owl and just how random charity shops can be.
      My capsule is working, that Zara blouse and Louis Caring dress haven't had nearly enough outings they'd deserved until I'd hidden away a few alternatives. I've been very good again today and packed five scarves off into the Kinky Shed unprompted!
      xxx

      Delete
  12. So many pretty pieces.. you have such a great eye for unique and beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have paid 30 odd pound in the past for that peeling product and also their orange one - I like them both but can't afford it now - I still use them occasionally though - A relative recommended it to me and gave me a sample x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm scared to try it just in case it's amazing. xxx

      Delete
  14. Well it would seem that I am Pitta (I had one yesterday used as a pizza base actually). Fascinating stuff.

    Good morning/spring Jacob how lovely to see you again, I think it would be unwise to steal William, unless he decides he's yours to steal of course ... he does look very well fed and looked after. Some more lovely charity shop bargains there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting that there's so many pittas in Blogland? I think us vatas are so fidgety may of us can't sit still long enough to write a blog post. Jon thinks he's a pitta because he eats so many!
      I think William's just a flirt, he's definitely too much of a chunker to be a stray! xxx

      Delete
  15. My goodness you're great at finding the bargains. I really like your header photo it reminds me of I dream of Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning Vix, I have just done the quiz and I am Vata: 9, Pitta: 26 and Kapha: 7. I have to work very hard to keep the worst of my Pitta tendencies under control and don’t always succeed! Ask my 29-year-old son who has been living with us for the past five months and now with a broken foot won’t be going anywhere soon - Aargh!!! You look amazing as always and such a fount of interesting knowledge. It is a beautiful morning in the South Downs and we’re out to blow the cobwebs away with a walk by the sea. I will come home more in balance I hope. Sarah in Sussex x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah! Thank you for your kind comments.
      You are most definitely a pita with those definitive results.Its quite reassuring to know that the out of balance tendencies can be rectified with diet and exercise, swimming is good for vatas and its certainly helped in keeping my racing mind focussed and calmer. I hope the bracing seaside walk did the trick. I'm reluctant to leave the house today, it's so grim and icy. xxx
      Oh no, your poor son. I hope his foot heals soon, he must be like a caged tiger.

      Delete
  17. I'm 15 vata, 19 pitta and 9 kapha except I don't sleep well and it doesn't surprise me that my scores are fairly close on two out of the three. Star wise signs I'm quite an accurate Libra, but carry many of the Virgo traits too. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that your vata and pitta figures are so close. I'd always describe myself as a good sleeper but, in reality, I nod off really quickly but once I wake up I have to get out of bed - which isn't great at 4am! xxx

      Delete
  18. "He's off his tits" has to be one of my favourite expressions that I've picked up from you - I use this when Vizzini gets catnip! I am a mix between Vata and Pitta - that was interesting to do. Good to see Jacob out and about again, and isn't black cat William a most handsome boy! Your V&A brooch and snake-print bag are stunning - gosh, you find good bargains, Vix! Welcome to the Snoot Club (owners of snakeskin boots = snoots)! I love your new cap, and all your fabulous outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! I'll be trading in those snoots for wellies if the weather forecast for snow is to be believed! I love that you're speaking to Vizzini in English slang, Sheila!
      Isn't it interesting that blogland is mostly made up of pittas with a handful of vatas and no kaphas?
      William's a gorgeous boy. He pops round at the same time every day for a gambol in the cat mint, he's an addict! xxx

      Delete
  19. Eh up Vix & welcome Jacob to 2023! The picture of next door cat stoner did make me laugh. The peaked cap looks good & the owl brooch is fab. Off to catch up on some recent posts... xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu! i think Jacob's a bit previous (or thick), Spring seems to have vanished!
      Kitty is hilarious, she's just had a stand off with William after he dared to get to the cat mint first. xxx

      Delete
  20. p.s. It is official - I'm all unbalanced ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! You'd better book yourself a massage pronto! xxx

      Delete
  21. How very interesting. I did the quiz and I'm a Pitta. I struggled to accurately answer some of the questions and although the Pitta type is quite accurate in parts there are things I am definitely not. I'm not a perfectionist; nor manipulative nor jealous nor critical!! It was fun though so thank you for that.

    The capsule wardrobe is going well. You looked lovely in all your outfits and I loved the psychedelic patterned maxi dress. Great charity shop finds, too. The owl brooch is lovely. It would look fab pinned to a beret or any of your hats. I thought the peaked cap look brilliant on you!

    So good to see Jacob and the moggies.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be a well balanced pitta if you don't have any of the negative traits, Vronni. I think the only trait I don't have is anxiety but the lack of focus, restlessness and impulsiveness are ridiculously accurate.
      That peaked cap is growing on me! xxx

      Delete
  22. My score was scarily accurate Vata 20, Pitta15 and Kapha 5 - so think I just might investigate a little more!
    Hello cats! I have short working nails which are naturally weak so as much as I would love to lash layers of blue or green varnish on - I make do with earth browns (under them!!) from gardening😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it freaky? I've always been very sceptical about star signs as they're just so generalised but those doshas are scarily accurate and quite reassuring in a way! xxx

      Delete
  23. Even if I'm late in my commenting, still reading (and enjoying) your posts!. And loving every block printed maxi and skirt and waistcoat in your collection, your fab style and your even more fab finds at charities!. Always an inspiration!
    I've found those doshas pretty interesting, and have to read more about them. Also loved to read about your beauty & fitness routine and the comments!, lots of info!
    besos

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix