Saturday 31 December 2022

Winter Wonderland

Behind a gloomy Victorian shrubbery there's a gloomy Victorian mansion, but behind that lurks one of the most extraordinary gardens in Britain...it contains whole continents, including China and Ancient Egypt – not to mention Italian terraces and a Scottish glen...this is how Alan Titchmarsh, the TV gardener, described Biddulph Grange Gardens in Staffordshire, our Twixtmas destination. 


Researching my family history I discovered my 12 x great-grandfather, Richard Edge (1512 - 1592) was the owner of Knypersley Hall in Biddulph in Staffordshire which was eventually sold to the noted horticulturalist, Richard Bateman, in 1809. Bateman lived here until he bought the neighbouring property of Biddulph Grange in 1840 where he and his son, James, created one of the country's greatest gardens using their wealth to purchase specimens bought back from the great Victorian plant-hunters. I've always felt an affinity with Biddulph Grange so the link, if a little tenuous, makes me shiver with excitement over the family connection.

James Bateman (1811 - 1897)

If you're wondering about the origins of the town's name, Biddulph, it's believed to be from the Anglo-Saxon word, bidulfe, meaning wolf slayer and the Biddulph family crest includes a wolf rampant. 
Biddulph Grange was rebuilt after the original burned down in 1896. From 1923 until 1991 it was used as a hospital but, over time, the gardens fell into disrepair and were taken over by the National Trust in 1988. The house remains privately owned, these days divided into swanky apartments with views to die for.

Midwinter it may be but there's nothing bleak about Biddulph Grange, it's bloody gorgeous all year round. Everywhere from the Himalayan Glens, Pine Avenues and English formal planting there's interest wherever you look. We've visited regularly since becoming National Trust members in 2016 but there's something extra special about the gardens in Winter.


The deer were part of a trail for children and we could hear squeals of excitement when they ticked each one off their list. I can't think of a more thrilling destination, at 56 years old I'm as giddy as they are, scrambling up the well-worn stone steps and stumbling through the dark tunnels which lead to a magical world of secret gardens.... 



We cross perilously high bridges...




...and enticing-looking archways


We travel to Italy, meandering down neat avenues, admiring the topiary and the marvelously ornate planters.





 And visit China where the glint of gaudy pagodas and golden icons are reflected in the lake below.




And wonder at the weirdness of Britain's first stumpery - an almost lunar landscape created from felled oaks.

   We explore the Egyptian pyramid, cut from privet and flanked by a pair of handsome sphinxes.




And ascend the steps hewn from the rocks to the top of the crenelated tower of the folly and look out at the vista below, finding it hard to imagine that the post-industrial landscape of The Potteries is a mere stone's throw away.




The Cheshire Cottage lies at the end of Wellingtonia Avenue, huge evergreen trees grown from seed brought back from the Americas in the 19th Century.




Built in 1856, the cottage bears the initials of James and his wife, Maria believed to be a nod to Queen Victoria's Swiss Chalet built in the grounds of Osborne House.


In the Summer months the Dahlia is ablaze with a rainbow of gaudy blooms but still remains beautiful even in the depths of Winter. 


It was the first time we'd visited Bateman's Geological Gallery, built in 1862 and restored by the National Trust in 2016.


After a car picnic we made our way towards home, stopping off at Longton (36 miles from Walsall), one of the six principal towns which make up Stoke-on-Trent. 


 Recognise these bottle kilns, Throwdown fans? Yes, it's Gladstone Pottery where The Great Pottery Throwdown is filmed. (The new series starts at 7.45pm on Sunday 8th January, I'm so excited!)

 A pottery factory has stood here since 1787 and was originally run by the Shelley Family who produced earthenware and decorated plates produced by Josiah Wedgewood at Etruria. The factory opened as a museum in 1970 but is currently closed, not due to reopen until the Spring.


Hoping to have some exotic heritage, a DNA test I took several years ago actually revealed my ethnicity was 82% Potteries (the area that has been at the centre of the British pottery industry from the beginning of the 17th century). My 8 x great grandfather, Edward Adams of Bank House, Bagnall (1661 -1727) belonded to one of the great Staffordshire pottery dynasties, The Adamses. The Adams's founded the Greengates Pottery in Tunstall (another of the six towns that make up Stoke-on-Trent), producing fine jasperware table sets, plaques, medallions and other products stamped Adams & Co. The family leased their Brickhouse Pottery to Josiah Wedgwood until 1772 when he moved to his premises in Etruria. Greengates Pottery was absorbed into the Wedgwood group in 1966 and the building was eventually demolished in the 1990s.

Greengates Pottery circa 1870




I was surprised at how deserted it was, expecting at least a few other fans to be wandering around but it was just us (and a couple of cars which slowed down and looked at us like me were mad). We half-hoped we'd catch sight of the wonderful Keith Brymer-Jones but it was not to be - it turns out that we were twenty-four hours too early, he posted on his Facebook page that he was there the following day - gah!





Wishing you all a Happy New Year! Thanks for visiting my blog and for all the kind comments and messages you've left over the past thirteen years.

See you in 2023!

67 comments:

  1. Thank you for your as always wonderful posts.Happy Hogmanay! Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Sending you lots of New Year best wishes! xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to you both and thankyou Vix for all your brilliants posts in 2022 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Emma! Wishing you and your family a very happy New Year! xxx

      Delete
  3. Heres to a wonderful 2023 for us all dear Vix and Jon .Thanks for all your blogging efforts ..you take us with you on all your many adventures..magical xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda! Thank you so very much! Sending lots of love to you in lovely Ontario! xxx

      Delete
  4. It's always a pleasure to join you on your outings. We don't get the pottery show here, but maybe our local public station might. Have a truly special year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! If you can find The Pottery throwdown I can thoroughly recommend it, it's one of those heartwarming programmes where everyone is kind to each other! xxx

      Delete
  5. You clearly have aristocratic blood Vix together with you beloved Lord Jon -and I can see it in your appearance of belonging at various Country homes -You may find one day you have a title - I wish you both a very happy wonderful New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, dear Flis! Sending you, your partner and the dogs lots of love and best wishes for a Happy New Year. xxx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, darling! Best wishes to you, too! xxx

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you both. I very much enjoy reading your blog, it kept me company during a lonely lockdown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, Anonymous, it was the highlight of my lockdown days

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much both of you - it was a strange time, wasn't it? Here's to never having another lockdown again - and a very happy 2023! xxx

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year to you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MrsCatz and the same to you! xxx

      Delete
  9. Interesting. It does look like a place that you would be living in. Family connections, even going back in time, they do make a difference (I do past life regressions lol). Such an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a stunning place, Ratnamurti. I loved how the wealthy of the day spent their money on creating such beauty and the fact it's still bringin g joy to the masses almost 200 years later is a wonderful legacy. xxx

      Delete
  10. I love your tours! Thank you for the effort you clearly put into all of your posts and may you and Jon have a magical 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind comment, StrictlyMystic! Sending you lots of New Year love! xxx

      Delete
  11. Hello Vix. Happy New Year. Knowing you have a love of India, you might like to watch this video. Liam and Janine are van dwellers in the UK, they have bought a tuktuk in India, and are now touring the country in it. This is their first outing and they are terrified.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJBej-3rVI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Ilona! Thank you so much for that link, it's fascinating! The roads in Chennai were absolutely mad when we visited back in 2006, I sat in the tuk tuk with my eyes closed every time we hailed one. Liam and Janine have nerves of steel! xxx

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year! Biddulph looks as beautiful as ever and good for you, squeezing in a potteries drive by! Roll on spring and the re-opening. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! I can't wait to visit the museum, the yard reminded me of the scrapyard we loved at the Black Country Museum, piled high with the kind of industrial cast-offs we love! xxx

      Delete
  13. Happy new year, we have put our new year decorations up, it’s the year of the rabbit, my birth year, I never get tired of seeing that property every time you photograph it, it always looks different.
    The shops in Tokyo are closed today as it is a holiday. So the kids are playing wind their father up which is always a treat. My history shows my mothers side well were dodgy Italians you know who and my dads side were shoguns who later became swordsmiths .
    Have a wonderful new year and I hope your dreams come true for you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year and Year of the Rabbit, Allie! I love the idea of New Year decorations.
      Biddulph is fascinating, I get so excited when I'm there. I loved The Secret Garden as a child and it's a bit like the book has come to life with ll the secret entrances leading out into themed gardens.
      Ancestry is the gift that keeps on giving, every time I log in my family tree is updated with new links although nothing will top Lord Jon's illustrious family! xxx

      Delete
  14. Happy New year to you both. I'd love to do one of those dna tests. I bet the results would be fascinating. Can you remember which company did your test?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Cherie! The DNA test was through Ancestry.com - I think they've got 50% off for New Year. It's absolutely fascinating and, as more people sign up, the data is constantly changing. I've even been contacted by distant cousins across the world! xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Vix. I'm going to look into it and treat myself.

      Delete
  15. Biddulph Grange Gardens look absolutely magical, and I loved joining you again on this Midwinter visit. I instantly googled it to see how far it is from our Shropshire cottage, and just under two hours I guess it's quite do-able. Did Jon cross those perilously high bridges too? If so, well done!
    I haven't watched The Great Pottery Throwdown, but I do know of it, and one of my friends, who's taking up pottery on a professional level, is a big fan.
    Those bottle kilns look fascinating! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! Biddulph Grange Gardens are absolutely wonderful and very do-able from Shropshire. They'd be stunning when you visit as the flowers will be in full bloom, too! Jon did cross the bridges, gritting his teeth all the way.
      When people used to bang on about The Great Pottery throwdown I couldn't understand the appeal for the life of me but after randomly turning over and watching the process of Raku I was riveted - I think I prefer it to Sewing Bee! xxx

      Delete
  16. Happy new year beautiful Lady, thank you for posting on your lovely blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Alana! Thanks for reading - and for your very flattering comment! xxx

      Delete
  17. Happy New Year Vix and Jon: you have reminded me that I let Ancestry investigations into my mothers family languish - I think I'm a bit scared to know who she was but this is the year I will definitely explore... I liked the garden and you look lovely in your hat, the geological museum part of your trip is more my thing, I do like fossils and old things that have been dug up! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Betty! If you ever get to Kutch in Gujarat you should check out the fossil museum there - Jon didn't know about my childhood love of dinosaurs and I freaked him out with my ability to identify the exhibits!
      The garden is gorgeous, I wish i'd been as a child although it's still exciting to me as a grown-up!
      Yes, you need to start digging again - I've noticed that I've got a few suggestions for branches than had reached a dead end, hopefully someone exotic! xxx

      Delete
  18. Happy New Year. Thanks for 13 years of fascinating reading and friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Lots of love to you. xxx

      Delete
  19. "Behind a gloomy Victorian shrubbery there's a gloomy Victorian mansion" oooh - I googled the posh apartments for sale on Rightmove and was completely underwhelmed by the tastefulness. If there was ever a venue to live in a glorious over-the-top fashion then this is surely it? A bit too empty art gallery/terribly tasteful for me. Also, modern furniture in a room with 20' ceilings is just wrong lol. (Goes back to gothing about and stroking her William Morris wallpaper and brown furniture).

    A very happy New Year to you both - looking fabulous as ever (and thank you for the bottle kilns - love them https://bottleoven.blogspot.com/p/others.html). Now I want a garden sphinx.

    Hoping to be lurgy-free in 2023 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Elaine! Underwhelmed by the tastefulness, bloody brilliant. Talk about a wasted opportunity, money's definitely wasted on the rich! It's like the million quid villas you see on Place in the Sun, grey, grey and more blasted grey!
      That's a cracking bottle kiln list, you've given me an idea for trips out now, I could print off the list and tick 'em off as I go!
      Lurgy-free in 2023 - you're a poet! xxx

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  20. Happy New Year - let 2023 shine on! Thank you for sharing your lovely stories and clothes and adventures - long may they continue😊🧡💛❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kate! Loads of love and New Year joy to you! xxx

      Delete
  21. The visions that you share with us are amazing and interesting. Not just this post, but with your many posts of your travels, close to home or far away. The vintage clothing that both you and Jon sport are always fun to see with some recognition, here and there. I've enjoyed reading everything and seeing all of the lovely pictures that you have shared with us over the past year. I look forward to many more. I wish you a lovely new year, full of fun surprises and interesting travels and whatever else you have in store. Ranee (USA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and for always leaving such thoughtful comments, Ranee. Sending you best wishes for a healthy and a happy New Year! xxx

      Delete
  22. How cool about your ancestors. One thing I became interest in is both Britain and European tribes. I know some of my ancestors came from Northern England and or Southern Scotland. Than there a set that came from Western Scotland. The rest of them is mystery. Since most of my family came over in the 1600's to United States.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dora and Happy New Year! Your ancestors must have been some of the earliest settlers. xxx

      Delete
  23. What a fascinating places. How interesting about your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fun to find out you have family connections with historical figures you are fascinated with. It is always nice when we find a private link with history.
    I always enjoy your National Trust visits. This place is amazing. Gardens full of hidden delights. The Chinese and the Egyptians bits are simply wonderful. Great photos. You look very chic and cozy in your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Reading the comments, someone in a FB group I'm in is in India for a wedding and they were saying how terrifying the tuk tuks are.
    Anyway, what an incredible place Biddulph Grange is. I've read about it before, and it's not that far from us, but I've never been. This has to be the year I explore our region more.
    You look fab, I love the Afghan coat.
    Thank you for all the great blog posts.
    It was so wonderful to catch up with you again last year. I'll message you to see if we can fix something up soon.
    Much love, Annie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why my comment came up as anonymous, it's me! Xxx

      Delete
    2. Chennai (Madras) is definitely the worst city for tuk tuk driving, Delhi was quite sedate by comparison (mind you, it didn't help that our driver only had one eye!)
      Biddulph is stunning, I love it when the dahlias & roses are in bloom but during the Winter it seems to take on magical properties, I absolutely love our visits there.
      It was wonderful to catch up with you this year - and to see the Raging Bull - looking forward to catching up in 2023! xxx

      Delete
  26. Those close-ups of the flora are mesmerizing! But then so is the glimpse of the Geologic Galleries -- is that a shark's tooth on the right wall? Never mind the large lizards, when I studied paleontology, I was far more interested in the leviathans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Beth! Love a leviathan! xxx

      Delete
  27. I used to live in Longton, and remember well walking past these, but during the 90s when they were being closed down. We lived in a fabulous old house, heated by a coal again, but the upstairs rooms were so cold you could see your breath over the duvet. Cant wait for the new series to begin and looking forward to reading more posts in 2023
    Bohomumma (Google wont let me sign in!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Bohomumma! I lived in a house just like that in the 1980s - £11 a week rent, hypothermia thrown in for free! Counting the days till Sunday, gentle telly! xxx

      Delete
  28. LOVE that picture on the bridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! I can't resist posing on a bridge! xxx

      Delete
  29. So many lovely photos, I have never watched The Great Pottery Throwdown, but I do appreciate a good bottle kiln, aren't they just wonderful.

    Happy New Year to you and Lord Jon ... you fit in so well in the gardens of all these stately homes, here's to another year of poring over your photos. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! I couldn't see the attraction of The Great Pottery Throwdown until I accidently saw the end of an episode whilst waiting for something else to come on and I was hooked, it's proper lovely tv! xxx

      Delete
  30. Simply wonderful! I think I would be giddy with excitement there as well.
    And I do recognise those bottle kilns. I watched The Great Pottery Throwdown for the first time over Christmas, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so it is good to know there is a new series starting soon.
    Happy New Year, Vix. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to recently discover The Throwdown, it's such a lovely, gentle watch!
      Happy New Year, Jules! xxx

      Delete
  31. What a lovely way to spend Twixtmas! I am just gobsmacked at how gorgeous those gardens are, but of course, nothing compares to the lovely lady in vintage wandering over bridges and through arches!

    A very Happy New Year 2023 to you, Jon and all of your lovely friends! Thank you for all the amazing posts, and for your comments on mine. Hugs, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  32. A pottery pilgrimage! Love it :) xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix