Wednesday 28 December 2022

Betwixt and Between



 It's Twixtmas, the yawning chasm between Xmas and New Year when the days seem to last for an eternity and where sherry and a war film at midday seem perfectly acceptable.


I signed off on Xmas Eve in a rush to get to Spoons - posting cards through the neighbours' letterboxes along the way. We met up with my brother and Tony, had a few beers and a late lunch (a small Brie and spinach pizza for me). Walking home via Asda we picked up a bottle of dry sherry and a box of plant-based mince pies and spent the evening watching Slow Horses and the Gone Fishing Xmas special. 


Xmas day started with tea and exchanging gifts in bed. Tony popped round mid-morning with more presents and we had a glass of sherry with a mince pie whilst opening them. 


We'd booked to have our annual Dead Relatives Society gathering at Kouzina, Walsall's Greek restaurant, on Xmas Eve but they'd messaged on 23rd December as they'd had a serious breakdown in the kitchen and couldn't get an engineer out in time so Xmas was cancelled. Fortunately Golden Moments, one of the longest established Indian restaurants in town came to the rescue and squeezed us in for Xmas Day. With it being at such short notice, it was just the three of us. (I think Tony was blinking and our conversation hadn't bored him to death!)


Although there was an option of a traditional Xmas dinner it's not really our thing and we all opted for Indian. The set menu consisted of either a vegetarian platter (tandoori paneer, vegetable samosa and pakora) or a meat one (shaslick chicken, shami kebab, tandoori lamb and chicken tikka), I'm sure you can guess which each of us opted for.

Diners could order any main course from the menu, I chose Kadu Muttar (butternut squash with peas in a chilli-hot sauce) with sizzling rice (pan-fried with spring onions) and a garlic and duniya (coriander) nan.


Jon ordered their White Jalfrezi (don't be deceived by the colour, the spiciness is the stuff of legends, check out those chillies) with pilau rice and a Peshwari naan whilst Tony chose Lamb Lal Nagaha tandoori naan and veg pilau rice


There was a bowl of Bombay Aloo to share.

Jon and I ordered a bottle of the house red, Barefoot Merlot, and Tony drank Cobra.



Desert was Gulab Jamun with ice cream and winter berries (I'm not a fan of ice cream so the boys ate mine).


After coffee, the waiter kindly packaged up our leftovers and we headed our separate ways. Tony works in retail and had to open the shop early the next morning, ready for those who have nothing better to do than buy three piece suites, mattresses and carpets on Boxing Day.

We had a relaxing evening drinking tea, sprawled in front of the TV, too stuffed to consider eating another thing. We watched The Festive Throwdown (wonderful stuff) and a couple of episodes of Stanley Tucci's Italy whilst I crocheted.

Lord Jon had a couple of days respite from photographing me in my outfits so here's my festive frocks hanging in the spare room - Xmas Day's vintage lamé and chiffon number from Victor Costa's Romantica line, given to me by a friend over a decade ago, and Xmas Eve's 1960s witchy-looking black velvet maxi from Samuel Sherman's Sambo collection (a car boot find back in the noughties).

On Boxing Day I was up before 6am to do my Wii Fit workout before making tea and going back to bed for an hour with my latest book.... and what a read it is.. In 1850 dollmaker and aspiring painter Iris Whittle leaves behind her job at a London workshop to model for the Pre-Raphaelite artist, Louis Frost. Frost isn't the only person to be captivated by Iris's striking looks when she also catches the eye of the darkly obsessive Silas Reed, a curiosity collector. 

After breakfast we popped over to my brother's house with his present as it was too heavy to bring to the pub on Saturday (a hamper of posh treats we'd assembled ourselves) and caught up over a coffee. I wore my charity-shopped Levis and Timberland boots with a Monsoon block-printed Indian cotton blouse from their Artisan Collection topped off with an orange wool fedora bought from Debenhams four years ago (with my Afghan coat over the top, after two mild days, there was a icy breeze.)


We got back and discovered Escape to Athena was on TV, it was filmed on Rhodes so we kept screeching with excitement when we spotted places we recognised.


After an afternoon of crocheting (me) and sewing (Jon) with 6Music, we devoured an Indian feast for tea the Golden Moments leftovers accompanied by a box of spicy Indian snacks delivered by our new neighbours, Aqeel and Shazia. Later we watched The Darkest Hour (Gary Oldman is magnificent) followed by the sublime The Detectorists.


Tuesday (another bank holiday) kicked off with my daily Wii Fit session and, whilst waiting for the tea to brew, I finished off my crocheting, one of two tank tops I'd made since Xmas Day.



Wearing a second-hand Naked Generation block printed midi dress and my stompy Celtic & Co. boots (plus a coat, it was another cold day) Jon and I walked down to Lidl for supplies, combining fresh air and exercise with essential errands.


Jon's always done the grocery shopping and in recent years had swapped his allegiance from Lidl to Morrisons, but after popping into the German supermarket for the Waste Not boxes he's realised the error of his ways - the fruit and veg is better quality and the prices are loads cheaper (and the staff are just as friendly). There weren't any boxes on Tuesday but there were reduced to clear bargains in the fridges including four packs of Bombay potatoes, a couple of artisan pizzas and a tub of cottage cheese which, along with the wholemeal seeded bloomer, 2 x litre pots of Greek yogurt, a punnet of blueberries, a bag of Brussels sprouts, four clementines, four limes, a box of ruby grapes, four kiwi fruit, a jar of wholegrain mustard, half-a-dozen free range eggs, a bunch of bananas, a cauliflower, a bag of baking potatoes, a bag of carrots, a bottle of Spanish rosé and lunch for the young homeless man, shivering with cold, came in at £34.


Liz and Adrian popped round for a sherry and after they'd left I turned the PC on for the first time since Saturday and had an epic blogland catch-up. After tea (half of a Lidl artisan pizza each with some oven-cooked chilli-infused potato slices) we watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - I'm not sure why it took us so long to get around to it, it was fantastic.


I'd started with an annoying tickly throat on Tuesday evening but a dose of echinacea before bed seemed to have done the trick (or maybe it was the ivy covered pentangle hanging from the door). After a Wii Fit workout and breakfast I wrapped my eBay sales and we popped out to the post office to drop them off. I wore a vintage suede mini skirt and my Galleries Lafayette suede jacket.


The weather was vile, cold with torrential rain and high winds, so we cheered ourselves up with an impromptu trip to the clearance charity shop, coming home with...


  • A 100% silk tie-necked mini dress by Lux, an Urban Outfitters label. I actually owned this dress in the noughties, bought from a car boot sale from an employee who used to sell new and tagged UO clothes and accessories, and I lived in it for years. I wonder if this was mine originally? It's back in my wardrobe now!
  • A 1970s metallic leather leaf belt, made in England.
  • A 1980s Welsh Village, Made in Wales screen printed cotton blouse.
  • An Arancrafts, Ireland 100% merino wool cardi (Mim had one of their jumpers for Xmas. They're desirable things!)
  • Aubin & Wills novelty fox jumper, also 100% merino wool
  • Fransa, Denmark fully lined suede midi skirt.


The £1 hardback book bin yielded a couple of treasures. You can find a copy of the Surrealism book, published by Schneede in 1973 on Abebooks HERE. The forty-one colour plates include Rene Magritte's Ready-Made Bouquet, Max Ernst's Napoleon in the Wilderness, Oscar Dominguez's Electrosexual Sewing Machine and my favourite, The Birthday by Dorothea Tanning. 


I'm not at all familiar with Ken Howard. After a bit of research I discovered that he called himself The Last Living Impressionist and died in September this year at the age of 89 (obituary HERE). There's some stunning work in Inspired by Light, I loved the cluttered rooms and huge windows in which he painted his models (they remind me of our house) and his paintings of Rajasthan capture the radiant light perfectly.  


It's another afternoon of crocheting for me - fingers crossed for a dry day tomorrow, a National Trust property awaits. 

See you soon!

54 comments:

  1. That's a fantastic grocery haul for the money. We don't have a Lidl, just an Aldi but their prices are so good it really discourages me shopping at the grocer three minutes down the hill from our hone. Produce is always so bad this time of year unless it is shipped in from the southern hemisphere. At present I have carrots and turnips, and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Hope you're feeling better! Jon says that Lidl is a fraction of the price of his old favourite, Morrisons. Much as I like to buy local and consider food miles , there's only so much swede and turnip I can stomach! Walsall didn't have an Aldi for years until one opened in town last year an, like Lidl, the prices and quality are fantastic. Their palm-oil free peanut butter runs rings around the posh one I always used to buy! xxx

      Delete
  2. I think that Lidl is better than Aldi as they do have quite a few unpacked vegetable products which Aldi doesn't- vine tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, spring onions, sweet potatoes, potatoes and beetroot.It's great having one opposite school...when I actually get out before 6pm (it's a pain going in with my bike and pannier! I look suspicious and unfortunately,I act suspicious as I know I probably look suspicious with my big bag so it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy- the security guard in Iceland is always lurking when I go in there with my bike and big pannier! Oops!
    Your crocheted tops are really, really nice! Do you have a pattern at all (e.g. what do you do?)
    Yorur Christmas lunch looks delicious! I love a bit of veggie Indian! Also loving your chazzer purchases too!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was delicious! Lidl's pretty good for unwrapped produce, isn't it? The clementines, cauliflower and bananas were all completely plastic free and they still sell nuts loose (I stay away from them, our branch doesn't have any scales and it's easy to get carried away with the scoop!)
      We were chatting to a lady at Glastonbury. she was so fed up with the security guards following her around Waitrose that she made herself a bag with "Shoplifter" printed in huge letters across the front! xxx
      PS The tank top tutorial is here, really easy: https://hayhaycrochet.com/crochet-patterns/sweater-vests/easy-crochet-granny-square-vest/

      Delete
  3. Nice grocery haul. We're eating through leftover or leftover ingredients. Hubs just ran to take care of his mom's garbage cans, a twice weekly occurrence ,( putting out then taking in) as her nice neighbor is now a snow bird, and gone until the snow melts. I sent a container of soup for her. I thought day after Christmas sales, we don't have boxing day, was for clearance Christmas crap. I didn't realize it's other sales. Well now remember my teens shopping for clothing or electronics with gift cards or $. I got sucked in and bought some deals for future gifts, treats. Your get togethers sound more relaxing and joyful to me than forced schedule's. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious of your mother-in-laws neighbour jetting off to the sun like that. How lovely that you're near enough to drag out the bins and send her some homemade soup, I bet its very much appreciated.
      Traditionally Boxing Day was when the servants and tradespeople would get gifts or "Christmas Boxes" but now it's all about shopping although, in recent years, many shops are staying closed and rewarding their employees with an additional day off. The shop Tony works in drags out the old tat from the back of the warehouse and offloads it to the gullible who think they're saving money. Oh well, if it makes them happy!
      Loads of best wishes to you and yours for a fabulous 2023! xxx

      Delete
  4. Glad you managed to get a table somewhere for Christmas Day. What a gorgeous festive dress!
    I read The Doll Factory this time last year I think and loved it. As for Detectorists, I have a sneaky feeling we might see more from them. I do hope so!
    Fabulous hauls - both food and fashion - and I see what you mean about Ken Howard's Inspired by Light. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so pleased to discover Golden Moments was open. We had visions of crisps, beer and getting sozzled at home!
      I'm loving The Doll Factory. Did you read that the rights have been given to Paramount to serialise it on TV? I bet it'll be amazing!
      The Detectorists was wonderful, fancy them missing Alice Roberts (Jon loves her, too)! xxx

      Delete
  5. Ooh, it's great that you're a sherry fan too. I love the stuff!
    We are huge fans of Stanley Tucci's Italy shows, so understated and knowledgeable.
    Your Naked Generation dress is fabulous. I must have a look into them.
    I have The Doll Factory on my Kindle TBR list. Need to press on!
    On a more sombre note, although we are fine, we have been upset to hear of deaths affecting two friends over the Christmas period. It's shaping up to challenge the horrible 2015/16 period.
    All the more reason to embrace every moment of life. Getting to my age is a real privilege.
    And on that cheerful note (🙂), wishing you and Jon a lovely New Year We must get together soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annie! Jon's Uncle Bill left us a bottle of sherry on the doorstep last year on one of his flying visits to the UK, we ignored it for ages but ran out of booze one night, opened it and couldn't believe how nice it was!
      Stanley's programmes are wonderful, he's such a brilliant guide and the scenery is magical. Definitely get cracking on The Doll Factory. It's being televised soon!
      i'm so sorry to hear about your friends. It has turned out to be a grim year. I can't believe Maxi Jazz died - dancing to God is a DJ whilst the sun set over the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury 2010 was a life changing experience. xxx

      Delete
    2. PS Naked Generation make some beautiful dresses. I've only manged to find this one on Ebay but it's worth signing up for emails to let you know about sales! xxx

      Delete
  6. I am envious of the lovely Indian fare. Having moved to a smaller community, Indian food or restaurants are no longer an easy option for eating out. It looked as though you had a lovely, laid back holiday and survived it well intact. Ours, too, was quiet and peaceful, having visited dad at his assisted living apartment for a bit. Brought him some banana bread as he has no need for "things" and appreciates a homemade snack. We were in the minus temps for several days leading up to Christmas and were grateful to have a high of 7 degrees that day and now are experiencing temps in the 30's so may see some slush developing. There's a price whether it's cold and freezing or warmer and melting. Love your Christmas and Christmas eve dresses. Wouldn't it be something if the mini dress was yours and had gone full circle back to you. I've had that deja vu experience, when coming upon something, that I know was mine and was donated several years prior, to a different charity. Not being math wise, do not know what the odds are, but it was bizarre. Wishing you and Jon much good health, blessings and great travels in the new year. Ranee (USA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ranee! I'm sorry to hear that Indian food is hard for you to come by in your new area. We're very lucky in our big, multicultural town and even luckier to have very generous and kind British Asian neighbours delivering boxes of freshly cooked samosas and pakoras!
      I bet your Dad loved his baked banana bread, thoughtful gestures like that mean so much more than extravagant gifts. I bet he relished every mouthful.
      I wondered how you were faring with the weather, it's made headline news here. After our -9°C before Xmas, never have I been more glad to see the return of our more usual dismal skies and incessant rain.
      Wishing you lots of love and happiness for 2023! xxx

      Delete
  7. Seasons greetings to you both from wet and windy Whitworth. I pulled off my first family Christmas dinner in my 67 years. Mum doesn’t want to do it anymore. I’ve told my sister it’s her turn next year. My excuse is I have to cook every day so I’m not doing Christmas Day as well haha. Left to me we would be going out.
    Wishing you both a happy and healthy 2023 if we don’t speak beforehand. Lots of love 💗 Philip and Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love to you both from us! Get you, cooking Xmas dinner. I think once in 57 years is enough for anyone and your sister should definitely takeover next year! xxx

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful few days you've had, Vix! Your Indian Xmas dinner looks divine, XO Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! We had a fabulous feast and a lovely few days, I'll be glad when things get back to normal though, I'm missing my swimming! xxx

      Delete
  9. Your Lidl must be so much better than ours. I do shop there weekly, but I don't get bargains like you do! Looks like you had a lovely, relaxed Christmas and those curries look amazing. Sending you both lots of warm wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you've had a wonderful Xmas, too. I wonder if it's when we visit Lidl, Louise. Between 9.30 - 11am seems to be the best time for the veg boxes and reductions. xxx

      Delete
  10. It sounds as if you have a good time Vix
    My husbands care was transferred to the hospice team just prior to Christmas, so our celebration has been muted, with lots of tears and a determination to leave nothing unsaid
    I will not celebrate Christmas again
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear. we are in a similar situation. Husband (82) in Home Hospice care and me (77) as sole caregiver. I try hard not to think ahead as it is so hard. If you wish to contact me Vix knows my e mail. Hugs JanF

      Delete
    2. I'm so very sorry to hear about your husband, Siobhan. I hope he is comfortable and not in too much pain, my heart goes out to you both. Jan, thank you for leaving this message for Siobhan. I'm saddened to read of J's deterioration and send you both lots of love. xxx

      Delete
  11. Barefoot Merlot! Bought cases of the stuff for our son's wedding (he loves it, I also got a couple of cases of Chianti and Pinot Grigio) The wine supply lasted longer than the marriage. A long story for another time.

    We don't have Lidl or Aldi in Canada. I love Lidl when we go to Spain, we do a shop to collect German treats for the husband and then Mercadona for the rest.

    It's been bitterly cold the last week. -42 took my car out. She's sitting at the dealership waiting for whatever surgery she requires. Guesses range from a cracked radiator, cracked water pump, to who the hell knows, it was freezing! Cars were dying all over the place.

    Your Christmas feast looked great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even begin to imagine what those temperatures are like, -9°C a fortnight ago was bad enough! Your poor car, I hope it doesn't cost too much to save her.
      It sounds like your son's choice of wine is a lot better than life partner! I love Barefoot's White Zinfandel (actually a rose), a gorgeous quaffing wine on a hot summer's day.
      It's a shame you have wait till you're in Spain to be able to shop at Lidl - there's a branch on a lot of the Greek islands, too. I often wonder if the Lidls in Spain, Italy and Greece have an English Food Week, when our branches have Spanish, Italian and Greek promotions!
      The Christmas feast was gorgeous! Happy New Year! xxx

      Delete
    2. Yes! We've caught the end of British Weeks in Spanish Lidl. Teabags and jams come to mind, but himself is muttering about Red Leicester cheese. We've also caught the end of German weeks, so it's like a feeding frenzy for husband and my bag is full of biscuits and tinned fish

      Delete
  12. Merry Christmas! I'm glad you had an enjoyable time doing it your way, I'd expect nothing less. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! Much love to you and yours! xxx

      Delete
  13. It sounds like you had a fantastic time over the Christmas holiday, and how lovely to see your brother, he has such a friendly face ... not that you don't!!
    Three Billboards is a brilliant film isn't it, I think I need to sit and watch it again, it seems so long ago since I watched it at the cinema.
    Wishing you both a Happy New Year and many more gorgeous bargains from the charity clearance shop. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fab time, thanks Sue! My brother has forbidden me to put him on my blog (and he has friends that read it so i wouldn't dare) so it's Tony with the big smile!
      Three billboards was amazing, how good are Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell in it? I love it when a film doesn't have a neat ending, it lives with you for ever.
      Sending you, Alan and the animals lots of love for a happy 2023! xxx

      Delete
    2. Oops, sorry!! So we STILL need to see your brother ... now I'm just wondering if he has as friendly a face as Tony!!

      Delete
  14. Love that beautiful black dress you wore over Christmas and your Indian meal looked fabulous, delicious... Your local Lidl does some really generous foodboxes, I went in to ours today and found 2 boxes full of about 20 turnips in each and nothing else and another box with 6 turnips, some loose potatos and some very black and over-ripe bananas! Can't see what anyone could make with that many turnips - chef? Betty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. correction not turnips - swedes! I always get the two confused.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Betty! I like the witchy vibe of that dress!
      Swedes can be a bit of a challenge. I use them as an alternative to chips, peel and cut into chips, mix them in a bowl with a tablespoon of olive oil, fresh rosemary and ground salt and black pepper, tip them into a roasting tray and bake for around 40 minutes, turning halfway through. They're also a decent alternative to sweet potato - cut into cubes, boil first and then add to your veggie curries) or make them into soup. I love them peeled, grated and made into a winter coleslaw with red and white cabbage, carrots and a mustard dressing.
      Black bananas are okay for banana bread, this recipe makes the best ever. I halve the amount of sugar and substitute the almonds and cinnamon with dark chocolate. https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/vegan-banana-bread.html xxx

      Delete
    3. thankyou! I wasnt expecting recipes, that's really kind of you - looks like I underestimated the humble swede had no idea they could be chips :)

      Delete
  15. For the first time in what seems a gazzilion years - we were finally 'allowed' to have our own choice of festive meal rather than as near to the traditional one (even as a veggie - who hates brussel sprouts etc) and we had CURRY! utter utter delicious bliss!
    We watched Three Billboards a while ago and were completely drawn in, definitely a 'see it again' movie and we were delighted to see the latest Detectorists - such a gentle story of missed opportunities indeed xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you finally got to eat what you wanted for Xmas Day. Like you, I'm a veggie and I know it's possible to make a roast dinner without meat but, let's face it, it's so boring (and I hate the thought of gravy, even if it is vegetarian!)
      Three Billboards is definitely one of those films I could watch over and over again. I loved In Bruges and The Banshees of Inisherin so I'm not quite sure why I never watched it the first time round! The Detectorists is wonderful, gentle comedy. I really hope Mackenzie Crook relents and decides to make another series. xxx

      Delete
  16. My sister has read The Doll Factory and said it was a brilliant book so I bought it for a friend's birthday recently (charity shopped, brand new). Where did you find Three Billboards? I'd love to watch it again. I've always loved Frances In anything she's been in. I also love the Detectorists but think Andy looks very thin?Tell Tony that 2023 is the year of making changes. Get him out of that demanding job so he can spend the whole day celebrating!Fab post as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did your friend love The Doll Factory? I was excited to learn that it's being made into a TV series, I'm trying to read it slowly as I don't want it to end.
      Frances McDormand is wonderful, I've loved her since Fargo. I had a free Amazon Prime trial which ended today so watched Three Billboards via their streaming service. Mackenzie Crook always looks thin at first glance then I get used to him, I don't suppose standing alongside the rather rotund Toby Jones helps.
      Funnily enough, after twenty-five years of working in that hellhole I think Tony has finally decided that 2023 might be the year he throws the towel in...we live in hope! xxx

      Delete
  17. We were already on a Detectorists binge before we found out about the Christmas Special. It is so gentle. My absolute favourite is in the last episode of series 3 where they pan over to Terry living his best life finding a button at their annual rally. Gorgeous.
    Arrancrafts jumpers are incredible - we both had them for Christmas! The most flattering big jumper I have ever possessed!
    Lidl seem to be the best of the supermarkets in terms of fresh produce - their 'bakery' bread is good too - but I do prefer our local markets (the only prob is going mad and buying too much as your money goes further and it looks so fab lol).

    Thinking of you Siobhan and JanF xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine! That was fortuitous, bingeing on The Detectorists and then getting the Xmas Special as a dessert! Terry and the button! Brilliant. Such subtle and gentle comedy. On a exciting note, Liz's brother is a detectorist and has asked if he can bring his gear round and explore our garden next week, maybe we've got another Staffordshire Hoard under the lawn (the original one was dug up 8 miles away!)
      Arancraft stuff is proper nice, a daft thing to get rid of, even if you went off the style you'd wear it round the house, wouldn't you?
      The Lidl bakery section is just by the door, it tends to get raided by the kids from the comp next door at lunchtime - better than the chip shop!
      Thanks for the kind message to Siobhan and JanF, they're both in my thoughts. xxxx

      Delete
  18. Sounds like you had the perfect Xmas, with Xmas Eve at 'Spoons and your Dead Relatives Society celebrations on Xmas Day. How fortunate that the Indian restaurant was able to squeeze you in. The food does look mouthwateringly delicious!
    Both your dresses are absolutely stunning, and suitably festive.
    And oh wow, didn't you do well at Lidl, such fantastic value for money!
    Great chazza finds as well - l'm swooning over that suede mini skirt - and those books are fantastic too. I'm not familiar with Ken Howard either, but I'm loving the sound of him, so I'll be checking him out. We've had a bit of a wet day here, so I'm hoping your weather was better and you were able to go on your NT adventure! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! The food was fantastic and the atmosphere was lovely (except for having to hear Stop the Cavalry three times!) It would have been like Mary, Joseph and the little donkey, the three of us wandering the streets in search of somewhere to eat if Golden Moments hadn't come to the rescue!
      My festive frocks are a Xmas staple! I wish that suede skirt had been my size, it's gorgeous.
      Ken Howard's work is lovely, modern day impressionism, who'd have thought it? xxx

      Delete
  19. Never head of Dead Relatives society. But it does sound interesting.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't, I made it up! Lots of love to you. xxx

      Delete
  20. Glad you managed to enjoy a Vix style festive celebration. Can't say I've drunk any sherry [I do like it though], but have enjoyed the odd tot of Stone's ginger wine. Happy new year Vix Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New year, S! I haven't had ginger wine in years - I do like a rum and ginger ale occasionally though! xxx

      Delete
  21. It looks like you've had a great time! I've seen Three Billboards a few times (I'm a bit of a Sam Rockwell fan!), but I need to catch up on The Detectorists. Wishing you all the best for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Nikki! WE loved Sam Rockwell so much we watched JoJo Rabbit the following evening, he was amazing in that, too! xx

      Delete
  22. I wish you all the best in 2023!
    Fab photos! Love your vintage dresses. It seems you had a nice time for Christmas. We should all make our own traditions and celebrate (or not celebrate) as we please. I was feeling too tired to process Christmas, I was there but was barely present.... fortunately I don't really suffer from holidays blues, regrets or stress, so I'm fine with missing out on Christmas this year. Today I've finally got the sleep I needed, I feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Ivana! I'm sorry you were too tired to celebrate Xmas in your usual manner but glad you were able to catch up with some sleep - that's always time well spent. I hope you have more time and energy for blogging in 2023, I've missed you. xxx

      Delete
  23. Eh up Vix, your Christmas curry looks delicious! We are big fans of Lidl's artisan pizzas too. Wasn't the Gone Fishing in Norway wonderful? We especially enjoyed meeting the 'mayor of Preston' in the knit shop ;) Oh, Three Billboards... such a good movie. Have a great new years eve & day xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, my love! Loved Gone Fishing, weren't the places they stayed gorgeous? I'd love to go but Jon's still traumatised from touring there in the 1990s - it was far too cold for him! Three Billboards was ace, I'm becoming a big Sam Rockwell fan! xxx

      Delete
  24. I'm so glad to hear your dinner out was saved. That book sounds right up my street and I love the fox jumper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gisela! Thanks for the Xmas card, it arrived yesterday. I was hopeless this year and missed the last posting date to send mine! The fox jumper sold within 10 minutes of listing it on ebay, it's a beaut! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix