Saturday 12 November 2022

Living


I signed off in a hurry on Wednesday afternoon, keen to curl my hair before our friends Lynn and Brendan picked us up and drove over to Lichfield. After an atmospheric riverside stroll, we enjoyed a feast in Ask Italian.




I've nicked the images of Ask's website (HERE). We shared the trio of arancini filled with spinach & ricotta, beetroot & goats cheese and pumpkin served in a gloriously tomatoe-y sauce and for mains, I had the Spaghetti Lentil Ragu, a delicious combination of green lentils and roasted vegetables in a sundried tomato sauce and Jon went for the Calzone Carne Piccante, a folded over pizza with pepperoni, ham, beef and red wine ragu with sauteed mushrooms, mozzarella and chillies.
 

Brendan and Jon adjourned to 'Spoons whilst Lynn and I made our way to Lichfield's Garrick Theatre for an evening with the novelist, Philippa Gregory.


After a witty, engaging and intelligent address, Philippa encouraged questions from the audience and Lynn was one of those chosen, asking how she felt about when TV adaptations of her work were wildly inaccurate for example in The White Queen, Richard III's defeated army at The Battle of Bosworth fled to the forest in the snow when anyone with an interest in The Wars of the Roses knows that the battle was fought in August.
 

We queued and chatted with the other fans after the show and Lynn got her copy of Dark Tides, the second in Gregory's Civil War trilogy which started with Tidelands, signed.


Reading is the new rock and roll!


The following day we were up and out just after 8am for a swim followed, as usual, by breakfast in Spoons. 


Last night's evening with Philippa Gregory had reminded me of the last time I'd attended an evening with a favourite writer - the late, great Howard Marks at Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall back in 2009. Marks, a former Oxford undergraduate and international cannabis smugglerclaimed in his autobiography Mr Nice that the posh boutique he'd help set up in Oxford in 1970, Annabelinda, was used as a front for his work with MI6. He also claimed to have funded the move from small premises on Park End Street to 6 Gloucester Street to provide a respectable front for the wealth gained from his drug dealing.


AnnaBelinda's early 1970s designs often command £££s so I was overjoyed to find this wool and velvet trimmed pinafore dress in the clearance chazza last year. The fabric, like most of AnnaBelinda's designs, is by Liberty and looks very similar to the wallpaper in the staff quarters in Wightwick Manor so I'm pretty sure it's a William Morris design.

Vintage AnnaBelinda wool pinafore worn with Libeskind, Berlin boots and Rawhide suede coat (all charity shop finds)

Needless to say, we popped into the charity shops on the way back home, snaffling a 1980s deadstock brushed cotton waistcoat, a Hobbs Mid-century inspired print mini skirt, a 1950s wool and mohair coat by ABC Models, London W1 and a 1970s Norfolk (shooting) jacket which sold within half an hour of me listing it on eBay.


 After finishing Icelandic crime drama, Sisterhood, we tuned into The English, the BBC's new six part Western starring Emily Blunt. I must admit, it was Emily's wardrobe that had attracted me when I'd seen the trailer as Nikki and I are always complimented on our Cowgirl Chic when we're out and about, but although the costumes were to die for, the cinematography, the acting and the story were f*cking incredible.


On Friday morning we signed up to Our Future Health, the NHS's largest ever health research programme to help prevent, detect and treat diseases. Born with a debilitating birth defect and receiving a state of the art Furlong total hip replacement (for free!) at the age of 39, I owe my fit, healthy and active life to our incredible National Health Service. As volunteers we have to answer an in-depth questionnaire and attend one of the designated sites to give a blood sample and have our weight and measurements taken. I'm not great with blood - I always used to pass out when I was a donor (something I can't do after my numerous transfusions) - but I shall warn the nurse when I attend next week! You can join up HERE 


I swear my hair is growing longer before my very eyes! 


At the end of Summer I only pack away my skimpiest dresses, the rest are out and about all year round. On Friday I wore my Dilli Grey Emma maxi dress with an embroidered shaggy gilet over the top. Originally from Urban Outfitters and priced at £69.99, I found it on eBay with the store tags still attached for £15. At a balmy 16°C I was more than warm enough to walk down to The Light, Walsall's town centre cinema.



This week's film choice was Living, a screenplay by the Nobel winning writer Kazuo Ishiguro and based on Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Illiych. As usual, I never read reviews before watching a film, preferring my judgment not to be clouded, but with the fabulous Bill Nighy in the lead role and the writer having written The Buried Giant, The Remains of the Day and When We Were Orphans, all books I've loved, I knew I was on to a winner. 


Set in post-war London, lonely widower, Mr Williams (Nighy), learns he has a terminal illness. The buttoned-up bureaucrat, deciding that he needs to live a little, escapes to the seaside and has a wild night out with a bohemian stranger. Back in London he bumps into former colleague, the effervescent Miss Harris and is captivated by her zest for life. Mr Williams yearns to "Be alive like that for just one day!" and uses the time he has left to seek redemption.
   

After watching cinematic masterpiece, The Banshees of Inisherin, a fortnight ago, I was pretty sure it would clean up at the Oscars but I now reckon that Living will give it a run for its money. If ever you need something to persuade you that life is for living, this is the kick up the arse you need. Go see it!

 

The daytime screenings are never busy and there were only a handful of people in the auditorium. We were delighted to bump into Dawn & Neil, who share our love of quirky British films and Eileen, the  teacher from our junior school who gave me her Gohil's exotic snakeskin boots (story HERE).


Ye-haw! After binge watching four episodes of The English the previous evening Saturday saw me out in the avenue dressed in my cowgirl chic, sweeping up leaves and chatting to passers-by.


My chambray blouse is Gap via the clearance chazza, (also the source of my Accessorize corset belt, 1970s Indian silk screen printed scarf and tan leather riding boots), the vintage India Imports of Rhode Island maxi skirt and Proper Toppa hat are from eBay. The earrings, made by an Irish designer using Walsall leather, were a birthday present from Liz & Adrian. The yard brush was off the market.


That's my exercise done for the day, I'm off to continue with my next crochet project....six squares down, 34 and two halves to go!


Have a bostin' weekend! Jon and I are meeting up with more of our fabulous friends tomorrow for some Black Country fun and frolics.

37 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki it’s Viv ( Vivs vintage that was ) Was going to see Living was looking forward to it , but broke my hip and had to have total hip replacement, was going to ask if you have any tips for recovery, obviously I’m a lot older than you were when you had yours done. But your such a resourceful person, feel you would be a good person to ask.
    Ps I loved the English too looking forward to watching it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Viv! It's lovely to hear from you. I'm so sorry to hear about your hip. The best advice is to take your time over the recovery, even as a 39 year old it was a long, slow process. I walked around the block twice a day, increasing the distance each week and persuaded the hospital to offer me physiotherapy which isn't the norm with hip replacement recipients as the op is usually done to relieve pain on older people. After around four months, when I was more confident but still using a stick, I self-referred myself to council-run hydrotherapy classes at our local swimming baths and attended two classes a week for years. This was the best thing I ever did - my confidence grew as I got stronger and I met lots of other hip replacement patients at different stages in their recovery and was able to compare notes.
      Feel free to message me with any questions, no matter how daft they may be. Wishing you a speedy recovery! xxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for getting back to me that’s excellent food for thought.
      They have offered some physio classes starting at 6 weeks recovery point. But it’s at Kiddiminster which is quite a way to drive myself ( Gary will be at his shop) not sure if I will be happy to drive that far by then.
      Certainly look into the hydrotherapy classes that sounds a very good idea when I’m fit enough.
      Glad you enjoyed the film I love Bill Nighy he is one of my favourite actors.
      I watched Duke awhile back that’s a brilliant film set in the 60’s ( footage is really clever of London remember it looking like that when we used to visit when i was little) it’s a true story it’s heartwarming and very funny , stars Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren.
      Thanks again Xxx

      Delete
    3. Hello Viv. That does sound like a long drive for you when you're still building up your strength. I have heard of some NHS physios offering Zoom appointments, they could talk you through some exercises for you to try at home rather than make the trip. Failing that maybe try the council leisure centre, a one-to-one session with one of their gym instructors might be an idea.
      I loved The Duke. We saw it earlier this year, it's hard to think it's a try story, isn't it? It was strange to see the normally gorgeous Helen Mirren looking dowdy! xxx

      Delete
  2. The movie sounds like I one I should see right now. Life is meant to be lived not just to exist, and I'm doing too much the latter. But, there's always today to start fresh. Your look terrific in your dilly dress and cowgirl chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You would love Living, Sam. As soon as we got home Jon started trawling the internet for another trip, the film really does fire you up and make you realise that life is for living and not just existing! xxx

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed your evening in Lichfield and good for you signing up to Our Future Health!
    Wasn't The English incredible? It was brutal, but the cinematography was amazing and I loved the performances. Like you, I've been pulling clothes off my rail to create outfits inspired by Emily's wardrobe.
    That photo of Jon needs to be an album cover!
    See you in the morning! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got so much more restraint than me, taking your time over The English & SAS: Rogue Heroes! It looks like an evening of Louis Theroux for us!
      Thanks for a fab day! xxx

      Delete
  4. Lord Jon looks like a banshee himself sitting in the cinema!!Very atmospheric! Great post as always. Loved The English. Trying not to binge-watch. Have a good Sunday.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look a bit menacing, doesn't he? No wonder we always get a row to ourselves!
      We watched the final The English last night, it was too good not to. Wait until Rafe Spall pops up, the stuff of nightmares! xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Vix, apologies I am way behind with my blog comments but have enjoyed catching up on what you and Jon have been up to . My goodness your hair is so long and looks in wonderful condition . You would have to be the best dressed leaf sweeper ever, love your outfit here as well as the pale chambray dress.
    The film Living sounds right up my street , must check to see if it is playing here yet.
    In the early stages of planning our return to Europe trip for late March 2023. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill! Always lovely to hear from you. I'm delighted that you're planning a return to Europe for next Spring, nothing better than a trip to plan!
      Living is wonderful. Bill Nighy is such a great actor. xxx

      Delete
  6. What a great post Vix - I love your cowgirl chic! I’m a bit older than you but I remember aged 17 in 1977/78 when skinny straight-legged jeans came (back) in and I invested in my first pair of Levi’s (my daughter wears these now) and wore them with a check shirt belonging to my brother and a velvet waistcoat I persuaded my mum to make. A kerchief around my neck and my stacked heel brown leather round toe lace ups with suede inserts completed my outfit. Oh I thought I was the bees knees! I make a Puy lentil ragu but I can see that roasting the veg would add a new depth of flavour - thank you for that idea. The Banshees is on my list to see (my son says I will love the knitwear!) but have tickets for three films coming up at the Lec over the next few weeks: Emily, The Lost King and Living so looking forward to all those. I go with my book group and I especially love Petworth in the winter time when the town is lit up - such a contrast to my dark skies village. I seem to be needing a lot of NHS attention lately - always so grateful for that and a good memory of my mum who worked for the NHS from 1948 when she started her nurse training in London to 1990 when she retired as a senior nurse tutor. Sarah in Sussex x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah! The description of your cowgirl chic outfit is giving me all sorts of ideas. It's brilliant that your daughter wears your old Levi's, it just goes to show that top quality clothing stands the test of time. I can't see any mother's passing their Primark jeans on to their children, I'd be surprised if they lasted a month!
      I was really impressed with the depth of flavour in that lentil ragu. Ask might be a chain but the food tasted really authentic, the tomato sauce wasn't sweet in the slightest.
      You're in for a treat with Living and The Lost King, I haven't seen Emily yet but the trailer was beautiful. Your son is right about the knitwear in Banshees, Kerry Conlan, who plays Colin Farrell's sister's collection is enviable.
      I'm so sorry to hear that you've been in need of NHS care of late, I hope all's well with you and that your recovery is smooth and speedy. What an inspiring lady your mum was. xxx

      Delete
  7. That Dilli Grey dress with the gilet and hat is totally fab!
    Ask may be a chain, but their food is really good. That sounds like such a great evening. I think the last author event I went to was Brett Anderson. He had some interesting stories, but none has exciting as Mr Nice! 😀 Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie. I've been dying to wear that gilet for weeks, but it's not been cold enough!
      I was really impressed with ASk, the food tasted so fresh and authentic.
      I bet Brett Anderson was a good speaker, he seems a really likable chap when i've heard him on 6Music. xxx

      Delete
  8. Google will not.let me.leave.comments.that might come.thru as.anon ..Betty the wood.fairy
    .. love.your outfits this week

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vix, a lovely post as usual!! Your hair is looking SPECTACULAR!! I can't believe I've never read any Phillips Gregory, where should I start? Beautiful OUTFITS !! "Living" sounds great, will try to see it. Although I haven't commented for a while I have been FOLLOWING all your adventures!! Lots of love from Barcelona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always lovely to hear from you, Diana! Thanks so much for the outfit compliments. Living is wonderful, do catch it if you can.
      Philippa Gregory is such a great author, I've loved every book of hers I've read. It depends what genre you fancy - her Wars of the Roses/Tudor series are what she's best know for and they really are excellent, based on real women who she has meticulously researched. Start off with The Lady of the Rivers, if you can track it down, although each book is good enough as a stand alone novel if you can't find them in the correct order. xxx

      Delete
  10. Olá Vix
    Estive a ver todos os posts atrasados, pois não tenho andado na net. Gosto de tudo!
    Beijinhos e bom domingo😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Encantado de saber de ti, Isabel! Feliz domingo para ti. xxx

      Delete
  11. yay, comments sorted. Can't wait to see what happens with the granny squares, love your skirt with the chambray blouse. We have to get our India visas soon (in person) hoping that they might allow us back online soon - there were rumours in a recent Simon Caudwell travel article......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you've sorted the comments, I've missed you! Simon's Friday email did mention a rumour that the current India eVisa situation might rectify itself eventually. Fingers crossed you get yours sorted and can get there. Jon's searching for a Xmas (or birthday) getaway but it'll be Europe rather than long haul. xxx

      Delete
  12. Firstly, love your motto 'Reading is the new rock and roll', it has put a smile on my face. Lovely that you had such a nice evening, having some fab italian food and then meeting one of your fav writters. Your friend Lynn looks really happy indeed!, so fab!
    So amazing that the Liberty's fabric of your dress looks similar to some wallpaper in Wightiwick Manor, you have an eye for fabrics, you're brilliant!
    And you look fab in your Dilli Grey dress and shaggy gilet, and your hair looks fab!. Your teal hat is one of my favourites!. And obviously, you rock your cowgirl chic outfit!
    We have not gone to the movies in ages, as our fav theatre didn't open after lockdown and another theatres are not in walking distance. We'll have to take a bus or two to enjoy this movie!, it looks really appealing to me (even a little bit sad!).
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I put a smile on your face! I used to go to see rock bands, now it's novelists! Lynn was so excited to meet Philippa and to be able to ask her a question. I can never think of anything intelligent to say in that situation!
      That's a shame that your cinema was a casualty of lockdown.Living is well worth the double bus journey, it sounds like it'll be miserable but it's lovely, honest! xxx

      Delete
  13. Much to my shame, I haven't yet read anything by Philippa Gregory, although I've seen some of her books in the charity shops here. Perhaps you can recommend me the best one of her books to start with?
    The food at Ask Italian looks absolutely mouth-watering, and how lovely to see your AnnaBelinda pinafore dress again. I still can't believe you picked it up for next to nothing at the clearance chazza! Lucky you!
    Your hair is looking fantastic, and your cowgirl chic outfit, which is easily my favourite of this post's outfits, is stunning.
    Totally agree with Claire that the photo of Jon in the empty auditorium should be an album cover! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I know you'll love Philippa Gregory, her writing is so engaging. The first book of hers I read was Earthly Joys about a gardener working in the court of Charles I and that's what got me hooked. As I commented to Diana, her most acclaimed books are the Tudor/War of the Roses series which starts with The Lady of The Rivers. I read them in the wrong order as it depended on what I found in charity shops or were given by friends.
      I think I'm turning into Rapunzel, my hair is growing at such a rate I hardly recognise myself if I walk past a mirror! xxx

      Delete
  14. I very much appreciate your movie and series reviews as you have turned me on to things I may otherwise not have watched. You are definitely the most stylish leaf raker ever, and your hair is looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley! I hope The English reaches your screen soon, it was incredible. xxx

      Delete
  15. How cool to meet Ms. Gregory! I haven't been to too many writers' talks (Henry Rollins and Diana Gabaldon), but yes, they are the new rock stars! That shooting jacket is aces. I found a Craig Morrison Bug-Bag and thought of you - I couldn't find out much about him, as he was more of a thing in the early 90s.

    That food looks stunning - yum! What a lovely time you've had! I want to see all those shows/movies! I am always pleased to see Bill Nighy (as I met him, which I never tire of telling people, ha ha).

    Happy weekend, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Henry Rollins - he DJed on 6Music a while ago and he was great fun - and i'm dying to know how you came to meet the fantastic Bill Nighy, who doesn't love him?
      Your Bug Bag is a real find. xxx

      Delete
  16. Fabulous outfits as always and the Annabelinda dress was gorgeous. I have to admit to not having heard of them. I also loved the boots with it. Your hair is looking wonderful.

    I have attended one author event with 3 authors some years ago in Winchester which I thoroughly enjoyed; the chazzas were pretty good, too!

    I've heard good things about the Emily Blunt drama but have so much to watch at the moment it may be a while before I get round to it. I have just finished reading 'Klara and the Sun' by Kazuo Ishiguro and recommend it. Both OH and I are hoping to see 'Living' - I love Bill Nighy in anything...

    I signed up for the NHS research project ages ago but haven't heard anything yet...they probably have enough old people!! God bless our NHS and long may it live, not for long if we continue with the Tories.

    Have a great week,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vronni! I probably wouldn't have known AnnaBelinda if it hadn't been for my love of Howard Marks. The V&A did host an exhibition of their dresses a few years ago.
      The English was absolutely wonderful, I highly recommend it, wait till Rafe Spall pops up. Bill Nighy is fantastic, I'd go and see him in anything.
      Have you logged onto your Future Health account lately? It's easy to miss the button which you click to book an appointment. xxx

      Delete
  17. That looks like a lovely meal out with your friends, and yes ... your hair is growing so quickly. The benefits of a healthy diet, good exercise and just the right amount of alcohol no doubt. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Although I haven't heard of that author it's great you got to meet her and enjoy asking her some questions! IT looks like a nice meal out with your friends too :)

    I am loving the outfit of the AnnaBleinda dress with the suede jacket! It's such a nice combination and perfect for colder weather.

    Thanks for joining the Weekday Wear Link up! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend :) We had a birthday party yesterday and have another to go to today.

    www.awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix