Sunday 29 May 2022

Running Away With The Circus (and other stories)

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed our Greek Odyssey. It's about time I shared what I've been up to since we got home before it becomes ancient history. 


We came back to the UK to discover a riot of colour in the garden - so many of the plants we bought and the seeds & bulbs we'd planted last year had come back. 


As I'd only spent £12 on the garden since last August (three perennials and four boxes of bulbs from Wilko's clearance table), we popped down to the independent garden centre yesterday and invested in 12 plants (peat-free, UK grown) for £20 to add some Summer colour to our window boxes and patio pots. 



We've also got courgettes, patty pan, tomatoes, beetroot, lettuce, spring onions, aubergines, cucumbers, chilli peppers, basil and potatoes on the go. With four festivals and another couple of trips to Greece scheduled over the next few months it looks like the irrigation system Jon rigged up a couple of years ago may be called into play once again.


When someone on one of the Greek travel forums of which I'm a member posted that Lidl were holding their annual Greek Week we were there just after it opened on Thursday to snaffle some of their gigantes, stuffed vine leaves and green beans (we buy them every year, they're delicious). I also managed to get one of their veg boxes comprising bananas, satsumas, Tenderstem broccoli, carrots, purple sprouting broccoli, broccoli, an avocado, a punnet of raspberries, a punnet of blackcurrants, new potatoes and cherry tomatoes on the vine. What a bargain for £1.50!

On Saturday 21st, we drove down to Sudeley Castle in The Cotswolds to meet Claire and Gareth for an afternoon at Gifford's Circus, an incredibly glamorous vintage-style extravaganza with jugglers, acrobats, trapeze artists, horse-riding, magic and clowning with a Mexican theme.


Claire's photos are incredible - do pop over and visit her fantastic blog post HERE - don't forget to follow her while you're at it, her photos and writing are superb. Gifford's Circus is visiting various locations around the Midlands and the South of England and runs until September. Words can't express what a wonderful day it is - go and see for yourself. 







It was a glorious day and, with no reason to rush back, we found a quaint country pub, ordered food and ate outside in the sunshine. We'd not seen Claire & Gareth since last summer (we've been friends since we were festival trading neighbours back in 2014) and there was much chatting and catching-up in-between stuffing our faces. I had to be an Instagram w*nker - even though I never post photos on there any more - and took photos of our food, vegan lasagne (Claire), chick pea and sweet potato curry (me), fish and chips (Lord Jon) and a steak sandwich (Gareth).


Ye Olde Hobnails Inn in Great Washbourne, near Tewkesbury, was built in 1280 and has been an inn since 1483. Up until 1999 it had been in the same family for 250 years.


Jon & I have squeezed in four swims - clocking up a total of two miles - since we got home. Although I'm a competent swimmer I've never been a confident one and have always been a bit scared of deep water and of getting my face wet however, I'm not sure how or why, but that fear has gone. I swam out to sea in Crete and have set myself the challenge of jumping off a rock into the crystal clear waters of the Aegean when we revisit this bar (in my video below) on our next trip to Greece. I bought some goggles last week and launched myself into the deep end on Friday - I can do this!


TV-wise we've caught up with The Great British Sewing Bee, Lucy Worsley Investigates & Silent Witness and we're onto season three of Borgen. We adored After Love, an incredibly moving film starring the wonderful British actress Joanna Scanlan (from TV's No Offence and Getting On) and went to the cinema on Tuesday to see Everything Everywhere All At Once, which was possibly the craziest film we've ever seen in our entire lives - we loved it.

Festival preparation starts in earnest on Wednesday, when No-Mow-May is over and we can cut the grass and erect the trade tent. Needless to say we've been out and about snapping up stock (and adding to our wardrobes and bookshelves, too). I shall endeavour to photograph our finds in the coming few days but in the meantime, here's a few of my keepers...


A pair of 1980s sunglasses; a Miss Selfridge Victorian-style Indian cotton blouse; two books, Gardens of Delight, a collection of photographs of the great Islamic gardens of Spain, Morocco, Syria, India and Pakistan and William Morris by Himself, featuring his designs and writing; a pair of Rylko oxblood leather flatform boots (made in Poland) and a pair of knee high textured olive green leather platform boots by Leibeskind, Berlin which were made in Germany and originally retailed at £225 (I paid £3!)


 And what have I been wearing?


For our trip to the cinema - a Zara cutwork dress and vintage Bulgarian leather bag (both charity shopped), Superga organic cotton plimsols (via eBay), leather earrings & leather bangle and knock-off Prada sunnies (Crete).


Dressed for a morning of charity shopping - Miss Selfridge blouse and a vintage leather belt (both charity shopped), Lotta from Stockholm taupe clogs (eBay) and a skirt I made in 2010 using a 1960s curtain I bought from a jumble sale. The print is Intrigue by Peter Perritt and was created for legendary London department store, Heals. The V&A have several of his screen-printed textiles in their collection. 


Charity shopping in a vintage '70s Radley shirred cotton sundress (the British Boutique label who worked with Ossie Clark) & a Made in Hong Kong straw bag (both charity shopped) worn with orange leather Lotta from Stockholm clogs (via eBay), my silver Malia pendant and some retro-inspired sunglasses bought from Jaded, London in 2017.


Popping out to the garden centre in Lucky Brand dungarees, an embroidered ramie blouse and vintage 1980s sunglasses (all charity shopped), gold Lotta from Stockholm clogs (via eBay) and metallic leather bag (from Rajasthan).


Walking into town and back for a swim (hence the topknot and lack of rings & bangles) in vintage Ayesha Davar shirred cheesecloth blouse and 1970s Anokhi block printed cotton maxi skirt (both eBay), Tasselled earrings (charity shop), polarised sunglasses & orange nubuck Lotta from Stockholm clogs (bought as Lotta samples and half the retail price) 


Another Sunday, another visit to the shops. This time I wore a Wyse, London shirred midi dress (charity shopped) and the orange nubuck Lottas seen in the previous outfit.


It feels like an age since the optician referred me to the hospital after continually failing my field tests but it's only been three months and tomorrow's the day. What could be more appropriate for a woman obsessed with spy novels than being assigned Route 007? 

See you soon!

52 comments:

  1. Hello Vix, what a super fab circus! Looks like you all had a great time. Eh, in all seriousness now, I think they've been stealing some of my skipping rope moves ;) Thanks for the Greek Lidl tip - oooh, I'm just in the mood for some stuffed vine leaves. I can't believe all that fruit box for £1.50!!! I obviously go at the wrong time of day!

    The water looks very enticing in your video and I enjoyed the reggae version of the Kings of Leon song, plus the glimpse of your glamorous self. Good luck with the 007 route and the tent erection. After having spent the afternoon conked out on the sofa catching up on the Sewing Bee, I am off on a blogathon and will now be venturing to Greece before swinging back round to see Claire's circus pictures.... xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should video yourself skipping, Lulu and get yourself a summer job at Gifford's.
      Greek Week is the best - we were really good and refrained from the vanilla doughnuts and Mythos, although I was sorely tempted. It was the first time we'd snagged one of those veg boxes, I couldn't believe how much good stuff in them - every box was different but I had to go for the one with loads of broccoli, it's my favourite! xxx

      Delete
  2. p.s.Have you seen Kings of Leon when they're not playing along to a click track? Shocking stuff ;) :0 :) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_H9eOsFNg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's hilarious! We saw them at the V Festival years ago, I can't remember anything about their set - I think we'd started on the cider far too early! xxx

      Delete
  3. I love that red dress on you. The other outfits are fabulous as well.
    So great you have been having fun ever since you've returned from Greece.
    A visit to the circus is always a lovely experience.
    I enjoyed seeing your beautiful garden.
    Have a lovely Sunday and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivana! That Zara dress sells for silly money on eBay, I was delighted to find it for £4.50 - it feels very fancy on. xxx

      Delete
  4. Great post Vix! I'm guessing I've missed out on Greek week at Lidl now. I rarely visit, but popped in a few weeks ago and bought the best lemons I have ever tasted in my life. They were enormous Italian lemons, still sporting their leaves from the lemon grove! Your garden's looking great and you did well to score so many plants for £20!

    Thanks so much for the shout out. I'm so glad Jon thought to take some video footage - it brings that carnival atmosphere back. What a fun day out!

    You look super stylish, as ever. The Malia pendant works beautifully with the gorgeously delicate print of that dress. I have a vintage St Michael's maxi skirt not dissimilar to yours by the way!

    I hope all goes well tomorrow, that you pass with flying colours and are immediately discharged! Now, I'm off to Google that film. I'm intrigued! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claire! People on the forums are still posting that there's Greek stuff left - its the first time we'd visited in ages but those veg boxes are amazing so i think we might be popping in a lot more often. It was like Ready, Steady,Cook in the kitchen this weekend, concocting recipes to use up all the goodies.
      Thank you - I wasn't sure if that Radley midi dress was a bit too pale and girly for me but the neckline is perfect to show-off that pendant. I need to see your M&S skirt!
      That film is absolutely bonkers, I can't describe what it's actually about but it's well worth watching! xxx

      Delete
  5. vicky bond eh?!! ;-D
    i marveled over the gifford´s circus at claire´s already - thank you for more of the fab stuff!
    you were busy since back from greece and i´m glad that your garden is in gorgeous shape - so many lovely flowers. and festival season starts - exciting!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky Bond, Licenced to spill rum!
      The circus was incredible. I've never been to one before and I couldn't believe the skill of the acrobats.
      Coming back to our colourful garden made returning to Brexit Britain a little sweeter. I'm very excited about the festival season! xxx

      Delete
  6. Clapping my hands with glee here as we love Giffords Circus and have been several times to Blenheim Palace to see it with our Jill. Good luck tomorrow with your eye tests. The garden and you are blooming lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Lynn! Isn't Gifford's amazing? I was lost for words, the costumes, the acrobatics, the music, those beautiful horses! They seem to set up in some wonderful places. xxx

      Delete
  7. Judging from your and Claire's fabulous photos and raving comments, Gifford's Circus looks absolutely spectacular. I haven't been to a circus since I was a 10-year-old, when there was a circus in our village and one of the circus children joined my class for a couple of days. Seeing her perform as a trapeze artist when we went to one of their shows was quite thrilling. Nothing compared with Gifford's, though, I'm sure.
    Ye Olde Hobnails Inn is a fantastic pub name, by the way!
    Well done on snaffling those Greek delicacies and veg box at Lidl, and I'm swooning over that Victorian style blouse you found in the chazzas.
    Fabulous outfits as always, and your Zara frock was a reminder to unearth mine.
    Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well with your hospital appointment! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I'd ever been to a circus. I bet you were fascinated by the circus girl when you were little, I know I would have been! I couldn't get over the trapeze, a couple of the girls were suspended by their topknots and didn't even have a safety net, it was like magic!
      You need to unearth that Zara frock - that red one sells for silly money on ebay! xxx

      Delete
  8. Good Lord Vix how many disguises can you rustle up? Talk about spies! you change your entire look from day to day but the one thing that remains is your style and grace. You look so different in all your outfits especially the dungarees to swim outfits. Im very glad you are back I love hearing your tales of adventures and your seeking out hidden gems in the chazza shops. All very 007 haha! Another smashing post, once again thanks for taking the time to share. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that's such a lovely comment! A lot of people don't recognise me with my hair up, I even fooled my Dad once, he thought a glamorous stranger was chatting him up! xxx

      Delete
  9. You look fabulous in your denim dungarees Vix-I could never look as svelte as you - my legs are not nice at all now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flis! You should try a pair of dungarees, you might be surprised! xxx

      Delete
  10. The circus looks fantastic. The last time I went it was to the Circus of Horrors. That was something else and definitely not one suitable for children! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to one of those at Glastonbury, I still have nightmares about those meat hooks! xxx

      Delete
  11. I'm so gald to hear you enjoyed Giffords Circus it is just magical. Your garden looks lovely and lush and I'm loving all your outfits. I hope the eye check goes well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gisela! Gifford's really is magical, I'm so glad Claire invited us to join them! xxx

      Delete
  12. Gifford circus sound like fun.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  13. the circus looks amazing! I love circuses where humans do all the tricks, much kinder!

    A Victorian inspired blouse AND a book about Wiliam Morris! What finds!

    The skirt made from a curtain is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful, such a spectacular few hours!
      I'm a sucker for a ruffled cotton blouse and adore anything William Morris - there's some beautiful illustrations and prints in that book.
      I can't believe it's been 12 years since I made that skirt, I rarely find fabric that good any more! xxx

      Delete
  14. circus looks fun (if Doc Haze Circus of Horror comes your way, I think you would love it, we go every year)... I admire you for doing no mow May, we haven't cut ours and lots of 'weeds' are appearing that are quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep an eye out for that one, Betty! We saw a really gory one at Glastonbury one year with meat hooks and lots of nasties, I can't unsee it now.
      It's almost a shame to cut the lawn, I love all the weeds! xxx

      Delete
  15. That was a nice catch-up of all things Vix. I'm glad to hear swimming continues. The sundress was a surprise look- but so pretty for a sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! I was going to sell the sundress but once I tried it on decided to keep it for a while, it is very different to my usual colour choices! xxx

      Delete
  16. I love the Miss Selfridge Victorian-style Indian cotton blouse, it looks amazing with the skirt you have paired it up with. I used fantasise about running away to join the circus after, at the age of about 9, I read a thrilling story book about kids doing just that and having lovely exciting scrapes with elephants and horses - right up my street, but looking back now, may be it was good thing I didn't attempt it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I bet the room in which that curtain originally hung was super trippy.
      That book sounds like something I'd have loved, too. It was my first visit to a circus ever and I loved it! xxx

      Delete
  17. Mornig Vix! loved this post and all of the outfits are great so as you know blue is my favourite but you look dang good in the red dress! I am so glad your wonderful garden is coming to life and made it a little easier to be back here. Son no.2 is getting into it now - can't wait for the fresh garden grown tomatoes. One of my favourite things is to walk around and see what blooms have come out that you might have missed the day before. The circus seems fun. As I said to Sheila my life could not be more different but loving dropping by to escape for a few minutes into your glorious life. Shazx (ol Aunt next door in hospital so a cleaning session while she is gone earnt me the right to sit on my backside and visit lolxx)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shaz! You and I have walking around the garden and getting excited about what's popped up overnight in common, isn't it a thrill? I love that son no.2 has got into gardening, I hope the tomatoes are a roaring success - ours were very disappointing last year, hopefully this year they'll thrive!
      Sorry to hear about Aunty, good for you earning brownie points and having a sit down after that cleaning session. Hope she's home and much better soon. xxx

      Delete
  18. Oooh what a lovely fashion show, you look gorgeous in everything, but that 'curtains' skirt is a triumph. Is Gifford's Circus the one that has always been animal-free and owned and run by a relative of Emma Bridgewater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! Yes, Gifford's is the circus associated with Emma Bridgwater. They do have horses but they are checked regularly and well looked after. xxx

      Delete
  19. The circus looks like fun! Haven't been to one since I was a child and it traumatised my brother Tony, who was terrified of the clowns....

    Of course you'll be able to dive into the crystal clear water but good on you for practising. Goggles are an essential in my book even if they leave marks on my face for the rest of the day; the water stings my eyes and makes me feel very tired without them. Talking of eyes I hope your 007 appointment goes well. We all start to develop cataracts later on in life but at different speeds; maybe that's the problem with yours?

    What lovely outfits you've been wearing. I adored the hand made skirt - what a brilliant pattern. Loved the Malia bee pendant and the dungarees look fabulous on you. Wonderful finds as ever; the books both sound incredibly interesting.

    More Greek holidays? How exciting!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vronni! Thanks so much, I'd love to find some more groovy curtains like that - I've not done any sewing for ages as I haven't found any decent fabric.
      The circus was great fun and the clown wasn't too scary (no freaky make-up, I can totally understand why your brother hated the one he saw!)
      As the baths are brine there's none of the horrible stingy eyes or itchy skin you get with chlorine pools but I loved my goggles, my mascara didn't budge! The consultant has diagnosed "suspected Glaucoma" and I've got to go back for some advanced field tests.
      Two more trips to Greece are planned - I'm so bad! xxx

      Delete
  20. Hope the eye tests went well. Most years I have to go back for a re-test of the eye we didn't start with because my brain gets tired out by the second half. I flunk every time, but a second test reveals I'm fine-just lazy! I hope you're just lazy too.
    Beautiful outfits. Hoping you have a great festival season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Goody! I was hoping my eyes were lazy, too but the consultant says my optic nerves aren't the right shape and suspects glaucoma. xxx

      Delete
  21. Now, THAT is a circus! I would love to see that. Great lot of outfits, Vix - I love seeing your Lottas out for summer again. Good for you for getting over your fear of swimming and gearing up for that cliff leap! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The circus was amazing, Sheila! I'd never seen anything like it.
      Its very strange how I'm no longer scared of deep water, I can't wait to jump into the sea.
      I was planning on wearing nothing but Lottas and sandals now until the end of summer but it's peeing it down this morning so I may have to reconsider! xxx

      Delete
  22. OMG I just wrote screeds in the comment box and it seems to have disappeared! I'll wait and see if it's published after moderation and if not, I'll do another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hate it when Blogger does that! I checked my junk folder and it appears that your comment has vanished into the ether! xxx

      Delete
  23. Your garden is glorious! I'm anxiously waiting for my peony bush to bloom as it has a lot of buds on it this year. That circus looks like so much fun - I'm so glad that most circuses have finally eliminated the animal portion of the show.

    I'm sorry your eyes are causing trouble. I am at risk for glaucoma and didn't do very well on my last visual field test so I have to repeat it in 6 months.

    I've been looking forward to seeing Everything Everywhere All at Once as I really like Michelle Yeoh so I was glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peonies are gorgeous, there's one in a garden I pass when I walk into town and it never fails to make me gasp in admiration.
      The circus was fab, I loved it - I've never been to one before as i didn't like the idea of animals being used, Giffords has a couple of horses but they are very well cared for and are regularly checked by inspectors.
      Let me know what you thought of Everything Everywhere All At Once, I'm still amazed by it a week on! xxx

      Delete
  24. Hope the eye appt went well for you Vix. Last time I was in the eye clinic, the trainee ophthalmologist nearly fell off his stool - he'd not come across heterochromia before, bless. This week's outfits are fab and your swag amazing as always. Our £1 clearance shop is our treat of the week lol - the novelty has worn off with the locals since it first opened - so the goodies often sit unnoticed as folks don't seem to want to rummage. I found a top that goes with a vintage maxi I have had for ages - it has been in and out of the donation bag; then on Saturday I found a top that looks just perfect with it in the BHF shop. Love it when that happens. As for Lidl - we got a patio apple tree last week (with a diddy apple already on it) for £9.99!

    Take care all xxx

    p.s. what news on your cat visitors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy the ophthalmologist never having come across heterochromia before - you must have made his year!
      I'm glad you're continuing to do well at the £1 clearance shop, our £1 one is very hit and miss but that's the fun, isn't it? It makes finding something amazing for a quid even more thrilling. There's little to beat finding a top to go with an odd skirt - I'm always on a quest to find something to go with a blue gingham one of mine, you'd think it would be easy but they're never the right shape!
      I've been after an apple tree to replace the old one that died of old age a couple of years ago - I must see if Walsall's got any! xxx
      PS Ollie's still visiting!

      Delete
  25. Lovely outfits and lovely photos of the Circus (so fabulous atmosphere and decoration, and thanks for discovering me Claire's photos!)
    Totally in love with your red maxi and so great to see your clogs again!, really fantastic and colourful post!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  26. Giffords Circus is our local circus, one year they did a 60s flower power theme, with fab clothes and music is always brilliant, the band can be hired. Looking forward to going later in the year. You look fab as ever. Love, Sian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sian! I bet the flower power themed Giffords was a sight to behold! I'm envious of your having a trip to look forward to, we'd love to go back next year! xxx

      Delete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix